f



putting sdram into a four year old toshiba sattelite (problem)

Running windows ME.

SDRAM 133MHZ
RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB

Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
(reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.

The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).

Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
package with that.

Thankyou 

Daniel Fisher

0
3/14/2005 1:20:37 PM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

13 Replies
433 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 57

tronic5572 wrote:
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> broadband package with that.

Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM! Adding more 
memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.

Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the PC133, 
something a lot of laptops are prone to.

Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is this a 
test of our psychic abilities?

--
James 


0
JHEM
3/14/2005 2:34:43 PM
tronic5572 wrote:
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> broadband package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

What laptop is this?  With only 32MB RAM it sounds like an old Toshiba 
430CDT or similar originally designed for WFW.  If it is, the only RAM 
that would work was a 16MB chip for a total of 48MB RAM.

Q 


0
Quaoar
3/14/2005 4:23:57 PM
I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.

When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and 
generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.

Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to 
check whether it's the right ram or not.
Cost me twice as much for the Ram.

Smart Toshiba Bastards

"tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message 
news:1110806437.038402.249990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
> it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
> package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher
> 


0
Emphatic
3/15/2005 5:54:35 AM
I don't accept your premise.  No Toshiba machine that I've ever worked 
on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the 1400 does 
either (although I've not worked on that specific model).  There are a 
zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than others, but I am confident 
that if you found non-Kingston RAM of the correct type -- and I'm sure 
that it's available -- that it would work.


Emphatic wrote:
> I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.
> 
> When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and 
> generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.
> 
> Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to 
> check whether it's the right ram or not.
> Cost me twice as much for the Ram.
> 
> Smart Toshiba Bastards
> 
> "tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message 
> news:1110806437.038402.249990@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> 
>>Running windows ME.
>>
>>SDRAM 133MHZ
>>RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>>
>>Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
>>boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
>>(reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>>
>>The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
>>into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>>
>>Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
>>it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
>>package with that.
>>
>>Thankyou
>>
>>Daniel Fisher
>>
> 
> 
> 
0
Barry
3/15/2005 1:54:50 PM
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in comp.laptops:

> I don't accept your premise.  No Toshiba machine that I've ever
> worked on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the
> 1400 does either (although I've not worked on that specific
> model).  There are a zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than
> others, but I am confident that if you found non-Kingston RAM of
> the correct type -- and I'm sure that it's available -- that it
> would work. 


You're absolutely right - it's utter nonsense. There's certainly no 
Kingston RAM in my Toshiba's expansion slot.


-- 
CeeBee


"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
0
CeeBee
3/15/2005 3:09:24 PM
tronic5572 wrote:
> Running windows ME.
> 
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
> 
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
> 
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
> 
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
> it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
> package with that.
> 
> Thankyou 
> 
> Daniel Fisher
> 

If you supply the model number I am sure you will get help. without it, 
youmay get well meaning confusion. e.g. I  have dozens of tech. manuals 
for Toshiba's - happy to try & help if I know the model. Stacks of 
others will do the same if you can post these details.
-- 
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

0
Echy
3/15/2005 6:29:04 PM
JHEM wrote:
> tronic5572 wrote:
> >
> > Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> > friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> > broadband package with that.
>
> Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM!
Adding more
> memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.
>
> Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the
PC133,
> something a lot of laptops are prone to.
>
> Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is
this a
> test of our psychic abilities?
>

I will get back to you on this thread with the model number (silly me).
 I am not with the laptop at the moment.


> --
> James

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:23:30 PM
I don't know the model of the laptop yet .. will get back to you on
this thread.

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:25:14 PM
ok thanks

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:26:10 PM
Hi Melbourne, Australia.

I will find out the model number of my machine soon (not with machine).

Thankyou for your time.

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:27:25 PM
Hello -

I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
problem

Its PS171E-01J93-EN

Anybody got any ideas?

0
tronic5572
3/27/2005 10:41:07 AM
"tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message news:<1111920067.371460.138790@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
> Hello -
> 
> I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
> problem
> 
> Its PS171E-01J93-EN
> 
> Anybody got any ideas?

According to this, max RAM is the onboard 32MB + 128MB = 160MB:
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Toshiba_Satellite_1710CDS_PS171E_01J93_EN

Note that the bus speed given is 100MHz, so the onboard 32mb is likely
PC100 rather than PC133 as you mentioned originally.  PC133 all _used_
to be backwards compatible to PC100, until about the late 90's.  So
you might need to get a stick of 128mb PC100 or older PC133 (one that
says specifically that it is backward compatible, or one that is
purchased through a website with an online configurator, such as PNY,
Crucial, etc).

Sometimes, a laptop will accept more RAM than the specs (typically
requiring a BIOS update) - this occurred if mfrs came out with larger
RAM following the introduction of a laptop.  So there is a chance that
it might take a stick of 256mb PC100 or older/compatible PC133.
However, given that this laptop is only four years old (Celeron 600,
according to the first Google hit I looked at), this is probably not
the case.  You'd have to look at the specs for the motherbaord/chipset
for a better idea.
0
alordofchaos
3/28/2005 9:32:42 PM
thankyou will try something based around what you have explained

thankyou very much

0
4/19/2005 10:42:25 PM
Reply: