putting sdram into a four year old toshiba sattelite (problem)

Running windows ME.

SDRAM 133MHZ
RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB

Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
(reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.

The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).

Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
package with that.

Thankyou

Daniel Fisher

comp.laptops 2877 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

tronic5572 wrote:

> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> broadband package with that.

Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM! Adding more
memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.

Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the PC133,
something a lot of laptops are prone to.

Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is this a
test of our psychic abilities?

--
James

0
JHEM
3/14/2005 2:34:43 PM
tronic5572 wrote:
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> broadband package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

What laptop is this?  With only 32MB RAM it sounds like an old Toshiba
430CDT or similar originally designed for WFW.  If it is, the only RAM
that would work was a 16MB chip for a total of 48MB RAM.

Quaoar
3/14/2005 4:23:57 PM
I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.

When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and
generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.

Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to
check whether it's the right ram or not.
Cost me twice as much for the Ram.

Smart Toshiba Bastards

"tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
> it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
> package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

0
Emphatic
3/15/2005 5:54:35 AM
I don't accept your premise.  No Toshiba machine that I've ever worked
on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the 1400 does
either (although I've not worked on that specific model).  There are a
zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than others, but I am confident
that if you found non-Kingston RAM of the correct type -- and I'm sure
that it's available -- that it would work.

Emphatic wrote:
> I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.
>
> When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and
> generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.
>
> Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to
> check whether it's the right ram or not.
> Cost me twice as much for the Ram.
>
> Smart Toshiba Bastards
>
> "tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>Running windows ME.
>>
>>SDRAM 133MHZ
>>RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>>
>>Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
>>boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
>>(reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>>
>>The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
>>into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>>
>>Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
>>it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
>>package with that.
>>
>>Thankyou
>>
>>Daniel Fisher

0
Barry
3/15/2005 1:54:50 PM
Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in comp.laptops:

> I don't accept your premise.  No Toshiba machine that I've ever
> worked on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the
> 1400 does either (although I've not worked on that specific
> model).  There are a zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than
> others, but I am confident that if you found non-Kingston RAM of
> the correct type -- and I'm sure that it's available -- that it
> would work.

You're absolutely right - it's utter nonsense. There's certainly no
Kingston RAM in my Toshiba's expansion slot.

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
0
CeeBee
3/15/2005 3:09:24 PM
tronic5572 wrote:
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
> it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
> package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

If you supply the model number I am sure you will get help. without it,
youmay get well meaning confusion. e.g. I  have dozens of tech. manuals
for Toshiba's - happy to try & help if I know the model. Stacks of
others will do the same if you can post these details.
--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

0
Echy
3/15/2005 6:29:04 PM
JHEM wrote:
> tronic5572 wrote:
> >
> > Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> > friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> > broadband package with that.
>
> Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM!
Adding more
> memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.
>
> Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the
PC133,
> something a lot of laptops are prone to.
>
> Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is
this a
> test of our psychic abilities?

I will get back to you on this thread with the model number (silly me).
 I am not with the laptop at the moment.

> --
> James

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:23:30 PM
I don't know the model of the laptop yet .. will get back to you on
this thread.

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:25:14 PM
ok thanks

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:26:10 PM
Hi Melbourne, Australia.

I will find out the model number of my machine soon (not with machine).

Thankyou for your time.

0
tronic5572
3/15/2005 8:27:25 PM
Hello -

I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
problem

Its PS171E-01J93-EN

Anybody got any ideas?

0
tronic5572
3/27/2005 10:41:07 AM
"tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message news:<1111920067.371460.138790@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
> Hello -
>
> I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
> problem
>
> Its PS171E-01J93-EN
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

According to this, max RAM is the onboard 32MB + 128MB = 160MB:
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Toshiba_Satellite_1710CDS_PS171E_01J93_EN

Note that the bus speed given is 100MHz, so the onboard 32mb is likely
PC100 rather than PC133 as you mentioned originally.  PC133 all _used_
to be backwards compatible to PC100, until about the late 90's.  So
you might need to get a stick of 128mb PC100 or older PC133 (one that
says specifically that it is backward compatible, or one that is
purchased through a website with an online configurator, such as PNY,
Crucial, etc).

Sometimes, a laptop will accept more RAM than the specs (typically
requiring a BIOS update) - this occurred if mfrs came out with larger
RAM following the introduction of a laptop.  So there is a chance that
it might take a stick of 256mb PC100 or older/compatible PC133.
However, given that this laptop is only four years old (Celeron 600,
according to the first Google hit I looked at), this is probably not
the case.  You'd have to look at the specs for the motherbaord/chipset
for a better idea.
0
alordofchaos
3/28/2005 9:32:42 PM
thankyou will try something based around what you have explained

thankyou very much

Li-Ion Batteries loose 20% of Capacity Per Year If Kept @ Full Charge
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Battery_Power/Lithium_Ion_Batteries#Storage_temperature_and_charge This also agrees with my own personal experience as well. -- Bill Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB Windows XP SP2 and Xandros Linux Tell that to my three year old battery, kept in the laptop, used almost daily, put back on AC so it stays topped off, stored at room temperature. Battery wear, as indicated by mobilemeter program, and verified by actual run time, is only 15%. I see an awful lot of "citation needed" in that wiki. "BillW50" <BillW50@aol.kom> wrote...

USB. Which hole did I put it in the first time?
Is RISC OS as bad as the lamentable state of USB on windozeXP? I found out yesterday that three windoze peripherals (webcam, wireless dongle, and bluetooth dongle) must always be re-inserted in the same USB socket as installed or the OS/software thinks it doesn't know about them. Please would someone confirm that if any of these 'essential' items were ever able to work with RISC OS that they could be pushed in any hole once the software was installed. Good grief. I thought USB was a bus. Useless Stupid Botch-job must be the correct expansion on windoze. What a waste o...

Print Problem w/ Compiled Version
Hello, I get no output when I have the following code in the compiled version. The code works fine in the interpreted version: print(figure(3)); Could you please help? The usage of the print command is very basic. I am not doing anything special. The figure is just a curve with two dimensions. I am using MATLAB version 7.1.0.246 (R14) Service Pack 3. Thank you. Tri M. Nguyen tmnguyen2@raytheon.com nguyen-tn02@sbcglobal.net Try to change (define) the render, that helped in my case, when nothing was printed. MATLAB wrote: > > > Hello, > > I get no output when I ...

Where should I put I?
Problem: Need a SOHO Extranet vpn solution Facts: - Border firewall runs linux. - Internal firewall run FW-1. - The internal firewall hide multiple subnets. - lots of client (400) but only a few connexions a day. - External client already uses cisco solutions. - I have cisco experience but 0 in setting up a VPN. Layout: internet | | Linuxbox | | FW-1--- clients box | other subnets Probable solutions: - Cisco pix 506 3des 10 licences - Cisco 1721 vpn 3des bundle Probable Layout: internet | | linuxbox | switch-- vpn solution | FW-1 Or should I rero...

Re: How can I read old SAS system file? #3
Hi Ace, I agree - mixing V6 and V7 datasets in same directory/library is not a good idea. Can cause some real problems later on. HTH, Charles Patridge ...

Print Preview Problem
When I print preview an image file in PSP 4.14, it uses the full page. When I "unclick" that option, I have to enter the image size in the Page Setup box to see the image. I can't really do this because the image size is in pixels. It's as though PSP lost the "default" setting to show the image's actual size, because that's what it used to do. Has anyone else had this problem ? Thanks in advance. ...

Complex client-side javascript problem, need help
Hi, I've built a rather large CGI that dumps a lot of data and a fairly complex javascript app out to the client's browser. Granted this may be poor style according to someone web design philosophy but that is the way things need to work for now here. The problem I'm having is that it appears that the browsers (IE, mozilla and netscape) are sometimes getting confused about wether the javascript code is running. By this I mean when I click a button that runs some filtering functions on the data that was sent over by the CGI there are times when it can take 10-15 seconds before the ...

Oracle Form 6i: How to put database data into List Item(Combo Box)?
Hi All, I want to use a List Item(Combo Box) as a input interface, however, how can I put database data into the List Item? Thank you. "Arthur" <ycyiu@mailcity.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8a31a93a.0311251705.7ccf442@posting.google.com... > Hi All, > > I want to use a List Item(Combo Box) as a input interface, however, > how can I put database data into the List Item? > > Thank you. Hi I have a template that I use all the time: Make a PU in the Form with the following code: --------------------------------------------------- PROC...

xforwarding problem on RHEL3
Hello comp.emacs.xemacs, This my first post in this group - first Usenet posting ever really. I hope I'm in the right place and that someone here can help me. Something is wrong with my xemacs and xforwarding. I'm running RH9 on my local box (yes I know I should upgrade) and I have a number of servers running RHEL 3. Normally when I do something like: [idiot@mybox idiot]$ ssh server1 idiot@server1's password: [idiot@server1 idiot]$ xemacs & [idiot@server1 idiot]$ I end up with a nice xemacs window pop up on my local box. However when I do it on my new serv...

Re: putting logo on SAS/GRAPH output
If you are willing to do it with ODS, I cover how to in my prior SUGI 28 paper. -----Original Message----- From: Matthew Yurdin [mailto:matthew.yurdin@UCOP.EDU] Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 11:01 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: putting logo on SAS/GRAPH output Anyone know of an easy way to put a company logo somewhere on the page with a SAS/GRAPH chart? I'd like to put the image near the chart, but not set it as the background. What's New in SAS Software for Release 8.1 (http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/v81/whatsnew/index.htm) claims that that you can "...

An Old Story
Years ago (disco was in) I got curious about the phone number listed in Michael Crichton's "Andromeda Strain". So, I went to a payphone and dialed it. I was rather shocked to hear a couple rings, then a female voice "Military Emergency" At that point, I hung up the pay phone and went elsewhere. This payphone was on a military base. I never had it get anywhere from a civilian phone. ...

Problem with ON UPDATE ON DELETE in Oracle10g
I have the following sql command: SQL> create table TECNICO 2 (Nombre VARCHAR2(20), 3 Apellido VARCHAR2(20) NOT NULL, 4 Username VARCHAR2(20) UNIQUE NOT NULL, 5 Telefono VARCHAR2(10), 6 Direccion VARCHAR2(20), 7 Rut VARCHAR2(10) PRIMARY KEY, 8 Estado INT DEFAULT 1, 9 constraint USERFK foreign key (Username) references LOGIN_TECNICO(Username) 10 ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE); ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE) * ERROR at line 10: ORA-00907: missing right parenthesis I tried to find the error but I failed. ...

SCO extends licences to end of year, vnunet.com
SCO extends licence offer past Christmas Peter Williams Nov 17 2003 .. .. The SCO Group has again extended its offer of cut-price Linux licences, this time until the end of the year - and possibly beyond. The UnixWare licensing scheme, announced at the beginning of August, set the price at $1,399 (�828) per server for Fortune 1000 companies, but offered a special price of $699 for those who signed up before 15 October. In October, SCO extended its reduced price offer for two weeks to the end of the month. Take-up is thought to have been poor so far, but the company refuses to issue the exact...

Memory problem
Hello I need to know how can i maximize the performance of a program running, I mean, if i can resize the block diagram size on disk. Thanks everybody Hi, Maximizing the performance, and minimizing the size on disk are two seperate (often even contradicting) things. You'll have to make clearer exactly what you want. Regards, Wiebe. "FITO" <fito_bg@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eb768d2264b83ca3a2dada4a2c8fef62@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com... > Hello > I need to know how can i maximize the performance of a program running, I > mean, if i can resiz...

Is there a newsgroup for Old Macs?
I have some Mac SE questions, and can't seem to find a specific group for old Macs. Anyone know of the best group for questions about the SE? Many thanks, ken -- To reply via eMail, please remove "ECM" In article <2005010218274216807%kspenceECM@i2000com>, Ken Spencer <kspenceECM@i-2000.com> wrote: > I have some Mac SE questions, and can't seem to find a specific group > for old Macs. > Anyone know of the best group for questions about the SE? > > Many thanks, > > ken I don't know of any newsgroups specifica...

LOCAL_USER problem?
Hi all, I configure my sendmail to ack as a filter before my exchange server to fimd virus and spam. On my sendmail.mc I use MAIL_HUB to forward e-mails to my exchange server. To make sure that host is correctly "masquered" I also use the STICKYHOST feature. My problem is next. I want to define a LOCAL_USER, for example "root". So I add LOCAL_USER(`oracle') to ma sendmail.mc. But sendmail seems ignore this option. I don't know why. If I remove the STICKYHOST feature, it works, but with that configuration, I have some masquerading problem (if a user send a e-mail ...

IO output problem
I run one of examples of Programming Ruby, code as follows: ------------ class Sone .... end song = Sone.new(.., .., ..) song.inspect song.to_s ----------- why I can't see output? where is output of inspect and to_s ? It outputs to somewhere else? IO object ? thank you in advance Hi -- On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Kevin wrote: > I run one of examples of Programming Ruby, code as follows: > ------------ > class Sone > ... > end > > song = Sone.new(.., .., ..) > song.inspect > song.to_s > ----------- > why I can't see output? where is output of inspect and...

mlb.tv problems?
anyone here subscribe to mlb.tv? I can't get any video on my macbook. wondering if others are having problems and it's a mlb problem or my mac is whack? if worked last season. :( On Apr 1, 4:40=A0pm, ed <n...@atwistedweb.com> wrote: > anyone here subscribe to mlb.tv? > > I can't get any video on my macbook. =A0wondering if others are having > problems and it's a mlb problem or my mac is whack? > > if worked last season. =A0:( Watch the Sox club the Rangers like a baby seal right now on a Windows PC so I'd check. On Apr 1, 2:56=...

NETGEAR MA401RA pcmcia WLAN problems
I just installed Mandrake 9.2 on a new Averatec laptop and everything has worked fine except my NETGEAR MA401RA pcmcia WLAN card. It was automatically detected and bound to orinoco_cs. It connects to my wireless router/DHCP server when inserted and is assigned an IP address. Drakconnect shows the connection as being up, and the connected light on the card remains on. However, when I tell it to connect to the internet, the light starts blinking and Drakconnect show the connection as being down and it loses it's IP address. After a few seconds, the connection comes back up, but it is st...

Re: How to put macro do-loop code into a macro variable? #17
Chris, It looks like you have a horrendous macro design with nested loops all over the place. No true expert would work on a solution without knowing the problem. Perhaps CALL EXECUTE, perhaps something else, maybe no macro at all, or just a better data structure. It depends on the problem, not your solution. When I first worked exercises in a PL1 book before taking any programming classes, I was fascinated by the idea that once I started writing code I was locked in to a train of thought, and that often it wasn't the best way to solve the problem. Having said that would you settle ...

RE: Why put logs away from rootdbs? #3
I think it really bores down to the physical disk spindles - if you can split your physical and logical logs off onto different disks, you will have better performance. These logs are used intensely, and you don't want other data to share the same disks. Well, you can share disks, but for best performance you should split and keep these logs separate. -----Original Message----- From: owner-informix-list@iiug.org [mailto:owner-informix-list@iiug.org] On Behalf Of Andy Kent Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 2:19 PM To: informix-list@iiug.org Subject: Why put logs away from roo...

put legend
hi , i have the following code: function [ma,c]=movingaverage6(x,y) [short, long]=movavg(y, 6, 6, 0); ma=short; c=zeros(1, length(y)); for i=1: length(y) if y(i)>ma(i) c(i)=3; else c(i)=-3; end end plot(x,y, x, ma, x,c); datetick('x', 12); axis([x(7) Inf -6 Inf]); hl1=line(x,y, 'Color', 'b','LineWidth', 1.5); hl2=line(x, ma, 'Color', [ 1.000 0.502 0.000 ],'LineWidth', 1.5); grid on; I' m not able to insert a legend where the color of the 'ma' line (in the legend space) is exactly [ 1.000 0.502 0.000 ]...

How to access old Visual Basic code?
Hi folks, I have a VB3 application and like to transfer the code to VB6. The problem is, that I do not have the VB3 IDE anymore. Is there any solution to open the code without VB3 or is there a chance to get the 'old' VB3 compiler? Regards Peter Ostermann Hi Peter, I have an original copy of VB3 from about 1993. Send me your address and I will post a copy to you. Regards, Rod Johnson unique@eircom.net "Peter Ostermann" <peter-ostermann@t-online.de> wrote in message news:fa94pr$unh$01$1@news.t-online.com... > Hi folks, > I have a VB3 application and li...

RE: [tao-users] bin/tao_idl problem with tutorial
Hi, To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. > I'm brandnew to using ...

Toshiba Power Saver Error Fatal 0X35
Hola, Me aparece este error al momento de abrir la tapa del Laptop, aparentemente este estaba ibernando. Que podria ser ??, Help mamo39 wrote: > Hola, > > Me aparece este error al momento de abrir la tapa del Laptop, > aparentemente este estaba ibernando. > > Que podria ser ??, > > Help http://forums.computers.toshiba-europe.com/jive3/thread.jspa?threadID=6480&messageID=22404 via Google. Q ...