putting sdram into a four year old toshiba sattelite (problem)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Running windows ME.

SDRAM 133MHZ
RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB

Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
(reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.

The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).

Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
package with that.

Thankyou

Daniel Fisher

0
Reply tronic5572 (4) 3/14/2005 1:20:37 PM

See related articles to this posting

tronic5572 wrote:

> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> broadband package with that.

Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM! Adding more
memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.

Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the PC133,
something a lot of laptops are prone to.

Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is this a
test of our psychic abilities?

--
James

0
Reply JHEM 3/14/2005 2:34:43 PM

tronic5572 wrote:
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> broadband package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

What laptop is this?  With only 32MB RAM it sounds like an old Toshiba
430CDT or similar originally designed for WFW.  If it is, the only RAM
that would work was a 16MB chip for a total of 48MB RAM.

Reply Quaoar 3/14/2005 4:23:57 PM

I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.

When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and
generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.

Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to
check whether it's the right ram or not.
Cost me twice as much for the Ram.

Smart Toshiba Bastards

"tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
> it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
> package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

0
Reply Emphatic 3/15/2005 5:54:35 AM

I don't accept your premise.  No Toshiba machine that I've ever worked
on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the 1400 does
either (although I've not worked on that specific model).  There are a
zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than others, but I am confident
that if you found non-Kingston RAM of the correct type -- and I'm sure
that it's available -- that it would work.

Emphatic wrote:
> I'm running a Satellite 1400 which is coming up 3 years old.
>
> When I upgraded memory from 128 to 640mb I HAD to buy Kingston Ram, and
> generic brands aren't accepted by the machine.
>
> Toshiba has obviously partnered with Kingston to add some sort of parity to
> check whether it's the right ram or not.
> Cost me twice as much for the Ram.
>
> Smart Toshiba Bastards
>
> "tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>Running windows ME.
>>
>>SDRAM 133MHZ
>>RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>>
>>Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
>>boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
>>(reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>>
>>The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
>>into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>>
>>Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
>>it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
>>package with that.
>>
>>Thankyou
>>
>>Daniel Fisher

0
Reply Barry 3/15/2005 1:54:50 PM

Barry Watzman <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote in comp.laptops:

> I don't accept your premise.  No Toshiba machine that I've ever
> worked on has used proprietary RAM, and I don't believe that the
> 1400 does either (although I've not worked on that specific
> model).  There are a zillion kinds of RAM, some more common than
> others, but I am confident that if you found non-Kingston RAM of
> the correct type -- and I'm sure that it's available -- that it
> would work.

You're absolutely right - it's utter nonsense. There's certainly no
Kingston RAM in my Toshiba's expansion slot.

--
CeeBee

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
0
Reply CeeBee 3/15/2005 3:09:24 PM

tronic5572 wrote:
> Running windows ME.
>
> SDRAM 133MHZ
> RAM is SODIMM 144 pins 256MB
>
> Shut down machine and inserted RAM OK - on boot up the system tries to
> boot windows ME then I just get a black screen and it throws me out
> (reboots).  Have tried another SODIMM from supplier with same result.
>
> The system is recognising the RAM - when I go into SETUP (I can get
> into SETUP) the RAM is showing in the dialogue box (as extended RAM).
>
> Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a friend
> it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his broadband
> package with that.
>
> Thankyou
>
> Daniel Fisher

If you supply the model number I am sure you will get help. without it,
youmay get well meaning confusion. e.g. I  have dozens of tech. manuals
for Toshiba's - happy to try & help if I know the model. Stacks of
others will do the same if you can post these details.
--
Regards
Echy

Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
www.thatsmelbourne.com.au

0
Reply Echy 3/15/2005 6:29:04 PM

JHEM wrote:
> tronic5572 wrote:
> >
> > Can anybody give me any ideas?  I'm sorting the laptop out for a
> > friend it's only got 32MB and you certainly can't install his
> > broadband package with that.
>
> Why not? I run WiFi enabled laptops with 64MB of installed RAM!
Adding more
> memory won't have any effect on Broadband speed.
>
> Have you tried PC100 memory? Sounds like the unit is choking on the
PC133,
> something a lot of laptops are prone to.
>
> Care to share the specific Satellite model of the unit with us or is
this a
> test of our psychic abilities?

I will get back to you on this thread with the model number (silly me).
 I am not with the laptop at the moment.

> --
> James

0
Reply tronic5572 3/15/2005 8:23:30 PM

I don't know the model of the laptop yet .. will get back to you on
this thread.

0
Reply tronic5572 3/15/2005 8:25:14 PM

ok thanks

0
Reply tronic5572 3/15/2005 8:26:10 PM

Hi Melbourne, Australia.

I will find out the model number of my machine soon (not with machine).

Thankyou for your time.

0
Reply tronic5572 3/15/2005 8:27:25 PM

Hello -

I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
problem

Its PS171E-01J93-EN

Anybody got any ideas?

0
Reply tronic5572 3/27/2005 10:41:07 AM

"tronic5572" <tronic5572@aol.com> wrote in message news:<1111920067.371460.138790@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>...
> Hello -
>
> I've finally got the model number of the toshiba satellite with the
> problem
>
> Its PS171E-01J93-EN
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

According to this, max RAM is the onboard 32MB + 128MB = 160MB:
http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-Toshiba_Satellite_1710CDS_PS171E_01J93_EN

Note that the bus speed given is 100MHz, so the onboard 32mb is likely
PC100 rather than PC133 as you mentioned originally.  PC133 all _used_
to be backwards compatible to PC100, until about the late 90's.  So
you might need to get a stick of 128mb PC100 or older PC133 (one that
says specifically that it is backward compatible, or one that is
purchased through a website with an online configurator, such as PNY,
Crucial, etc).

Sometimes, a laptop will accept more RAM than the specs (typically
requiring a BIOS update) - this occurred if mfrs came out with larger
RAM following the introduction of a laptop.  So there is a chance that
it might take a stick of 256mb PC100 or older/compatible PC133.
However, given that this laptop is only four years old (Celeron 600,
according to the first Google hit I looked at), this is probably not
the case.  You'd have to look at the specs for the motherbaord/chipset
for a better idea.
0
Reply alordofchaos 3/28/2005 9:32:42 PM

thankyou will try something based around what you have explained

thankyou very much

0
Reply tronic5572 (4) 4/19/2005 10:42:25 PM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Toshiba sattelite 2400 problem/question
Hi all, Just wanted to find out if anybody is having a similar problem: Basically when I turn off my computer and I try to turn it on again, it will not turn on unless I unplug the power, remove the battery and plug everything back in. Thhis is happening quite often now and I am not really sure what it is. I was hoping someone here can help me. Thanks Al daboul@hotmail.com (MIike) wrote in message news:<67563f8.0311092242.65d23843@posting.google.com>... > Hi all, > Just wanted to find out if anybody is having a similar problem: > > Basically when I turn off my computer ...

playful coding problems for 10 year olds
Hi folks, My niece is interested in programming and python looks like a good choice (she already wrote a couple of lines :)) She is 10 and I thought it would be good to have a bunch of playful coding problems for her, stuff that she could code herself maybe after some initial help. Do you guys know problems like these? Or a good resource where to look them up? Cheers, Daniel -- Psss, psss, put it down! - http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown This is in JS but have a look here http://github.com/ryanmcgrath/splash On 1 Nov, 20:31, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchin...@googlemai...

type of sdram for a 4 year old motherboard?
My Dad has a computer running a PIII 850 with 128 MB of sdram and Windows XP. Suffice to say it needs more memory. (It's slow) I bought him a used PIII 1000 so that will boost the system speed up to 133 from 100 mhz. SO, I want to buy a 256 mb PC133 sdram stick. I notice there's two types of chip densities being sold. One is the "32M x 64 -Bit" and the other is the " 32x8" For example Kingston says: Manufacturer: Kingston Speed: PC133 Type: 168 Pin SDRAM Error Checking: Non-ECC Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered Cas Latency: 3 Support Voltage: 3...

15 year old needs help with Visual Basic problem.
Hello, Could someone please help me with this Visual Basic problem. I need to know whats the code for this: If address 29292929(making it up)= 50 then sendkeys "1p" Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Frank. On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:35:31 +0000 (UTC), "Frank Wallace" <frank.wallace@btconnect.com> wrote: >Hello, > >Could someone please help me with this Visual Basic problem. > >I need to know whats the code for this: > >If address 29292929(making it up)= 50 then >sendkeys "1p" What is that supposed to be ...

Four Year Old Powermacs selling for more than recent PC laptops on ebay
I recently won an auction for a 15" Powerbook in very good condition: 1.5Ghz, 1GB, 60GB, ComboDrive. I paid $460 for the machine. There were 18 bids. Being the cheapskate that I am, I won the auction in the last 10 seconds. I've noticed a lot of bidding on other Powerbooks as well. PC laptops - not so much. On Nov 13, 7:09=A0am, "gimme_this_gimme_t...@yahoo.com" <gimme_this_gimme_t...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I recently won an auction for a 15" Powerbook in very good condition: > 1.5Ghz, 1GB, 60GB, ComboDrive. > > I paid $460 for the machine. > >...

NASA Mars Team Teaches Old Rovers New Tricks to Kick Off Year Four
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2006-152 NASA Mars Team Teaches Old Rovers New Tricks to Kick Off Year Four December 28, 2006 NASA's twin Mars rovers, nearing the third anniversary of their landings, are getting smarter as they get older. The unexpected longevity of Spirit and Opportunity is giving the space agency a chance to field-test on Mars some new capabilities useful both to these missions and future rovers. Spirit will begin its fourth year on Mars on Jan. 3 (PST); Opportunity on Jan. 24. In addition to their continuing scientific observations, they are...

Programming for 14 year old (was Programming for 13 year old)
About a year ago I posted a question about how to go about teaching programming to my 13 year old nephew. Well, we have been at it off and on for about a year averaging sessions of maybe twice a month and now he is 14 years old. We started with HTML which worked out well in that it got him creating code fast. We used the Werbach barebones guide to HTML ( http://werbach.com/barebones/download.html ) as a reference. Then we progressed to Javascript which was good in that it was an easy transition although its going a bit slowly. I found some reference material on the net but ultimately go...

Creepy 27-year old employee at Google (a Linux company) breaks into children's accounts, harasses 15-year old
"Barksdale met the kids through a technology group in the Seattle area while working as a Site Reliability Engineer at Google's Kirkland, Wash. office." "...15-year old boy who he befriended..." "...taunted the boy, threatened to call his girlfriend..." "...inviting underage kids to attend movies with him..." http://gawker.com/5637234/gcreep-google-engineer-stalked-teens-spied-on-chats?skyline=true&s=i Bearded sexual deviant hacker? 100 to 1 he's a Linux advocate, and he met the kids at a LUG. On Wed, 15 Sep 20...

Its a new year, yet same old, same old...
As we kick off yet another year of IBM's 'marketing' and empty promises to the IIUG, lets take a look at how the world perceives IBM... Here's an excerpt from El Reg: -=- Last week, IBM announced a marketing program aimed at helping its business partners get their feet into more doors among midrange shops to push the portfolio of IBM software. The Business Partner Software Mid-Market Value Initiative Program is available to qualified partners who peddle IBM's Lotus groupware, DB2 and related database management, Tivoli systems management, Rational application ...

Problem using an old laptop for old games
Greetings, hopefully someone can give me either a quick fix for this, or at least something like, "Yeah, it's a known problem. No workaround." I've got an old PII Micron laptop with a CD-ROM drive and Win95 installed. I got the machine so I can write in rooms other than my basement/office, and to play my older video games that no longer work in WinME on my current desktop. I've successfully configured stuff like Leisure Suit Larry, Doom, Secret of Monkey Island and Prince of Persia to work beautifully, but there's a single category that just won't go... It...

does the toshiba M35-XS329 have any problem? What Toshiba do you recommend?
Hi all, I just bought the toshiba M35-XS329. But I have not opened the box yet, as of restocking fees if returned. Does anyone have an opinion about M35-XS329 or a similar model? I am especially concern about the display quality, mainly to read text, I hate blurry text. ...

Norton Speed Disk problems recently, after years of *no* problems
What in the holy heck gives with Symantec Corp lately, they could not have done a better job of sabotoging the Mac platform if they tried! Did Bill Gates buy them out? Recently, trusting the latest incarnation of Norton's Speed Disk, (big-mistake) - I set up a 4.00 GB partition for a stripped-down Panther OS 10.3.2 install, about 1.6 GBs of files. As usual with a fresh Panther install, the files were scattered all over the relatively small 4.00 GB partition. In the past, Norton Speed Disk had no problem whipping such a partition into shape. In the past, Speed Disk has _never_ bit m...

solving problem with four equations and four unknown variables
Dear Fellows, I have four unknowns tau1,tau2, p1 and p2, all of them are probabilities and are in the range of 0 to 1. The four equations are below: tau1 = f(p1,p2) tau2 = f(p1,p2) p1 = f(tau1) p2 = f(tau1,tau2). These unknowns are coupled in each other and cannot be solved using fzero(). Can someone give me a hint to solveit, especially if someone let me know how to use fsolve() function in this situation. Thanks in advance. -bilal On 8 Okt., 10:59, Bilal <bilalci...@googlemail.com> wrote: > Dear Fellows, > > I have four unknowns tau1,tau2, p1 and p2, all o...

Three Year Old Laptop
Here is yet another failure for Windows 7. Here's the Readers' Digest version of whats going on. The Win7 drivers aren't fully compatible with the Wireless 802.11. So it works fine without any encryption but the instant I secure the network - "Windows 7 was unable to connect to the network." I installed Ubuntu on the machine - worked like a champ - WPA2 personal and all. So, how about if one of you Microsoft trolls explain how this is actually a design feature or is somehow my fault. Remember I have 10+ years of IT experience I know how to solve driver proble...

Can an eight-year-old game be Wargame Of The Year?
I realize that I'm sitting on a virtual mother-lode of wargaming goodness here, but as things settle out over the intervening weeks, myself and my gaming buddies are finding that TOAW3 is getting the lion's share of personal gameplay. Human-to-human, the equation changes; there we're concentrating heavily on COTA and migrating into the big, monstery scenarios. Overall, I'm not sure COTA has any competition - except BOA - for Wargame Of The Year 2006 in the Giftzwerg household... ....but just the fact that I'm hearing so many people I know and respect ...

SDRAM problem
Hi I am using Kingston 512MB SDRAM for my XUP virtex 2 pro development board. I am working on image filtering where I have to transfer the image file to the SDRAM and then filter it by bring the data to the BRAM's. I am struck off into following steps: 1. How can I send a whole image file to the SDRAM. I can put some data on the SDRAM using the EDK C code which is as follows #define XPS_MEM_RAM 0x60000000 // this was the starting address of the SDRAM as //provided by the EDK when I added it to my system Xuint32 *RAM; RAM=XPS_MEM_RAM; RAM[i]=0x12345678; but h...

Four more years
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046397/Steve-Jobs-Dying-Apple-boss -left-plans-years-new-products.html> He has also been overseeing the development of the delayed iCloud project, which will allow Apple users to store their music, photos and other documents remotely and masterminding updated versions of the iPod, iPad, iPhone and MacBooks, ensuring at least four years’ worth of products are in the pipeline, according to Apple sources. -- Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as People's Democratic Republic is to Democracy. On 10/07/2011 07:11 PM, Michelle Steiner wrot...

Four More Years!
From Bush's hometown newspaper <http://tinyurl.com/4as3v> : Few Americans would have voted for George W. Bush four years ago if he had promised that, as President, he would: Empty the Social Security trust fund by $507 billion to help offset fiscal irresponsibility and at the same time slash Social Security benefits. Cut Medicare by 17 percent and reduce veterans benefits and military pay. Eliminate overtime pay for millions of Americans and raise oil prices by 50 percent. Give tax cuts to businesses that sent American jobs overseas, and, in fact, by policy encourage thei...

an old problem
I have a expect script, like this: But it does not work stablely. sometime it works, sometimes it was stop at the Password accept step and keep on waiting. Can anyone rewrite this script and make it work all the time? Regards. OS: Redhat 9 expect :expect-5.38.0-88 $ cat su.tcl spawn su expect -re "Password: " send "secret\r" expect -re "#" send "date\r" expect -re "#" send "exit\r" puts "\n" exit -1 $ expect -f su.tcl Now, I've found the problem. It's redhat's fault. expect.nist.gov/FAQ.html#q73 Expect...

Four more years...
of crying from the liberals. It's ok -- I understand that this is a traumatic time for you, and it's not good to keep emotions bottled up. So let it all out, have yourselves a good cry at the expense of on-topic posts. I'm tempted to say more just to bait some of you, but I don't think it's necessary. After all, I've already got the biggest troll of all. Bush is in for another 4 years, not to mention increased control of the House and the Senate, including the unseating of the Senate minority leader. Heh. Not even the combined assault from Hollywood, Old Europe, and th...

Toshiba problems
Before you consider buying Toshiba laptops read through my experience(s) at the below URL. I do not want to stop you from buying one, but be sure to know what you are getting into. Don't just research about technical details. Make sure you find details about the company's replacement and warranty services. URL: http://pasam.com/toshiba -S On 12 Jan 2004 17:55:24 -0800, pasams@hotmail.com (Seshubabu Pasam) wrote: :>Before you consider buying Toshiba laptops read through my :>experience(s) at the below URL. I do not want to stop you from buying :>one, but be sure to know wha...

Four more years :-)
Well, it's now over, Obama has won this one. Bye bye Slick Mitt! --=20 Tactical Nuclear Kittens Single Stage to Orbit wrote: > Well, it's now over, Obama has won this one. Bye bye Slick Mitt! > Yep, I just saw Obama's acceptance speech. If anything, the man can speech. That is important in a democracy, the power of speech. It inspires people, it gives people strength. I do hope that the US will pull together, the present divide almost seems to paralyse the decision taking process. Well, congratulations to all of the US members in this forum. Stop polit...

Year problem
%let FOIYEAR=YEAR(TODAY()); I declared the variable for roday's year. Now i want to write a sql code for this proc sql; create table mylib.swd as (SELECT A.BEN_CTRC_NBR, YEAR(A.PS_ACTG_DT) as year, A.PS_CMP_CDE, A.PS_ACCT_CDE, A.DEPT_DESK_CDE, FROM FIN_MGT.ACTG_TRNS_DTL_V A WHERE ( A.PS_ACCT_CDE IN ('227215', '227216', '227227') AND YEAR(A.PS_ACTG_DT) = &FOIYEAR AND A.PS_CMP_CDE IN ('AALFB', 'VIPSK') ));quit; Now it produces error. in &FOIYEAR statement in SQL. No authorized routine named "TODAY" of t...

Display Manager Problem (Seems Like Old Radeon Problem)
Hello, This is the problem: The computer boots to runlevel 4 (my graphical login level) just fine. I happen to use KDM (which does not matter at this point) as my display manager for X. I am allowed to login as any user listed on the KDM panel without a hitch. The problem is when I logout of the user, X sends control back to KDM and then it looks like the old radeon soft reset problem. The screen goes out (the little green light on the monitor changes to orange as if in powersave) and the system is in a serious hang. Only the reset or power button works. The tricky part is...