f



replacing windows xp with windows 2000

I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system
preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The setup
process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced
by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there any
way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
advise.  Thanks.
0
1/12/2004 12:37:20 AM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

6 Replies
867 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 58

Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install
Terry

"Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google.com...
> I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system
> preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
> replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The setup
> process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced
> by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there any
> way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
> advise.  Thanks.


0
tc
1/12/2004 12:39:54 AM
Or - isn't the 2000 cd bootable?
Terry
"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
news:u1mMb.8263$Eq.2062@clgrps12...
> Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install
> Terry
>
> "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google.com...
> > I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system
> > preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
> > replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The setup
> > process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced
> > by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there any
> > way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
> > advise.  Thanks.
>
>


0
tc
1/12/2004 9:17:53 AM
you can boot directly from the 2000 cd and format the disk with no need for
fdisk......works a lot better than the old archaic way with the win98 boot
floppy.

Joe

"tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
news:5DtMb.9266$n44.1200@clgrps13...
> Or - isn't the 2000 cd bootable?
> Terry
> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:u1mMb.8263$Eq.2062@clgrps12...
> > Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install
> > Terry
> >
> > "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google.com...
> > > I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system
> > > preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
> > > replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The setup
> > > process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced
> > > by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there any
> > > way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
> > > advise.  Thanks.
> >
> >
>
>


0
Squiggly30
1/13/2004 2:29:59 AM
Yes.  You can boot directly from the 2000 cd but it programmed to go
out and look if it is supposed to replace an older windows version or
a newer one.  If it's the latter then the whole process stops.

"Squiggly30" <jlgsquires@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:<JKIMb.179$jw2.24217@read2.cgocable.net>...
> you can boot directly from the 2000 cd and format the disk with no need for
> fdisk......works a lot better than the old archaic way with the win98 boot
> floppy.
> 
> Joe
> 
> "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:5DtMb.9266$n44.1200@clgrps13...
> > Or - isn't the 2000 cd bootable?
> > Terry
> > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:u1mMb.8263$Eq.2062@clgrps12...
> > > Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install
> > > Terry
> > >
> > > "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google.com...
> > > > I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating system
> > > > preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
> > > > replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The setup
> > > > process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be replaced
> > > > by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there any
> > > > way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
> > > > advise.  Thanks.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
0
josephstran
1/13/2004 6:28:18 AM
It also gives you the choice to wipe out any partitions and start again with
new partitions, so you won't have to worry about any other operating systems
at all.

Joe

"Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1a55ccc2.0401122228.1cfe6513@posting.google.com...
> Yes.  You can boot directly from the 2000 cd but it programmed to go
> out and look if it is supposed to replace an older windows version or
> a newer one.  If it's the latter then the whole process stops.
>
> "Squiggly30" <jlgsquires@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
news:<JKIMb.179$jw2.24217@read2.cgocable.net>...
> > you can boot directly from the 2000 cd and format the disk with no need
for
> > fdisk......works a lot better than the old archaic way with the win98
boot
> > floppy.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:5DtMb.9266$n44.1200@clgrps13...
> > > Or - isn't the 2000 cd bootable?
> > > Terry
> > > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > news:u1mMb.8263$Eq.2062@clgrps12...
> > > > Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install
> > > > Terry
> > > >
> > > > "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google.com...
> > > > > I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating
system
> > > > > preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
> > > > > replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The
setup
> > > > > process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be
replaced
> > > > > by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there
any
> > > > > way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
> > > > > advise.  Thanks.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >


0
Squiggly30
1/13/2004 11:02:34 PM
"Squiggly30" <jlgsquires@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:<hO_Mb.365$jw2.51119@read2.cgocable.net>...
> It also gives you the choice to wipe out any partitions and start again with
> new partitions, so you won't have to worry about any other operating systems
> at all.
> 
> Joe
> 
> "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:1a55ccc2.0401122228.1cfe6513@posting.google.com...
> > Yes.  You can boot directly from the 2000 cd but it programmed to go
> > out and look if it is supposed to replace an older windows version or
> > a newer one.  If it's the latter then the whole process stops.
> >
> > "Squiggly30" <jlgsquires@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>  news:<JKIMb.179$jw2.24217@read2.cgocable.net>...
> > > you can boot directly from the 2000 cd and format the disk with no need
>  for
> > > fdisk......works a lot better than the old archaic way with the win98
>  boot
> > > floppy.
> > >
> > > Joe
> > >
> > > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > news:5DtMb.9266$n44.1200@clgrps13...
> > > > Or - isn't the 2000 cd bootable?
> > > > Terry
> > > > "tc" <terrycassidy@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > > news:u1mMb.8263$Eq.2062@clgrps12...
> > > > > Boot from a Win 98 floppy, fdisk, format and install
> > > > > Terry
> > > > >
> > > > > "Joe" <josephstran@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > > > news:1a55ccc2.0401111637.682b70c8@posting.google.com...
> > > > > > I just recently bought a laptop with the Windows XP operating
>  system
> > > > > > preinstalled.  Being an advocate of Windows 2000 I was trying to
> > > > > > replace XP with 2000 but ran into the following problem.  The
>  setup
> > > > > > process seems to not allow newer Windows operating systems be
>  replaced
> > > > > > by older ones despite the preference of the operator.  Is there
>  any
> > > > > > way to get around this?  If there is one I'd be very grateful for
> > > > > > advise.  Thanks.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >

Install win 98 boot disk ( if u dont have one, go to google and type
win98 boot disk)  easy to find install

Next.
Restart the computer with boot disk in and wait for the prompt.
Select boot without cd-rom support
 
Next.
Type FDISK
Delete all previous partitions
1. First delete all logical
2. Second delete all extended
3. Third delete all primary
4. Create Primary partition
 - Note when prompted if u want to use all the space, that is a matter
of preference.  IF you have a 40 gig drive, and want the whole 40 gig
on drive C: then use the full amount.
5. After you are done with the primary, it will say that you have to
reboot for settings to take place.
6. restart the computer with the win98 boot disk still in there
7. When prompted,  Select Boot computer without CD-Rom Support
8. when at the prompt, type in format c:
9. Click yes , your sure, all that jazz,  type in a label if u want,
then sit back and relax, it will take a bit
10. When complete, restart the computer, BUT, this time when it comes
back, make sure you select book WITH CD-ROm support
11. When you get to the prompt, insert the win2kpro cd-rom
12. Whatever your drive letter is for the cd, assume d, type in as
follows
13. d:
14. setup
15. If it starts the process you are golden
16. If it does not start then type  cd i386
17. At the i386 prompt type in     winnt
18. It will ask you about some smartdrive crap, ignore it
19. You will have a complete fresh install that way

-_G-_oo-d_l__U_c_k
0
skynextel
1/18/2004 8:09:04 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Really really confused: Matlab's tricky window behavior on Linux, Windows 2000 and Window XP (was: why my matlab program on Linux and Windows XP behave so differently?)
"gino" <mizhael@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:cd5a6s$due$1@news.Stanford.EDU... > Hi folks, > > The matlab program is supposed to be cross platform compatible. Since matlab > uses Java, it should behave the same for the GUI to display on Windows XP > and Linux. But now, the GUI window was completely random showing on Linux > and on Windows XP. Manu UI control components are off their place. If I fix > this problem on Linux, the the UI controls will be off their place on > Windows; if I fix this problem on Windows, then the UI controls will be off >...

Windows NT vs Windows 2000 vs Windows XP
Hi, I am pretty ignorant when it comes to computers. I posted in another thread that I just purchased a used computer for close to nothing. I have an old windows NT workstation which I plan on installing. My question is : A friend of mine can sell me a Windows 2000 or Windows XP license for cheap. Is there any reason I need to spend $40 to buy any one of these two operating systems for an old Pentium II computer, instead of a free windows NT workstation system that I already have ? For general home use : access internet, typing documents, etc, is there any difference in us...

Windows XP vs Windows 2000
Hi all I have strong and powerful computer. It has Dual Xeon processor and 2G memory. The operation system that installed right now is Microsoft server 2003. We use Matlab 6.5 (R13) and Microsoft SQL server only ( without any other big program that may slowly the speed of the processing). We understood that this version of Matlab (6.5) never been tested on this Operation system, so we decided to replace it to tested one. We are think over two operation system: - Windows XP - Windows 2000 ( Server or workstation) The most significant performance that we care is the speed of the processing at ...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there a way to somehow install it and have this service on Windows 2000 Pro? tf Greetings -- No. Bruce Chambers -- Help us help you: http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -- RAH "Tomasz Frelik" <tomasz.frelik@enzo.pl> wrote in message news:bgt3er$vm6$1@news.lublin.pl... > I use XP and I like one thing very much: fast user switching. Is there...

Windows XP vs. Windows 2000
I have created a visual basic program that creates an activeX component. I used the package and deployment wizard and created the internet package cab file with no problems. When upload the cab file to my clients server, they can view the created .htm page perfectly with internet explorer on WindowsXP but when they try and view the .htm file on a windows2000 machine all they get is a small white box. The ActiveX control button never loads? Any ideas? I am about to go the other way. I developed a component in windows 2000 and we're going to upgrade to XP. Does anyone know where ...

Windows 2000 vs. Windows XP?
I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference and why? -O Ovid left a note on my windscreen which said: > I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference > and why? XP (Pro). Cause it's 2K with knobs on. -- Stoneskin [Insert sig here] On 5 Nov 2003 11:38:17 -0600, Ovid <Ovid@Epigram.com> wrote: >I know it's probably been asked to death, but what is everyone's preference >and why? I don't use Windows a whole lot. But when I do, my own preference is ...

IWPM For Windows 2000 To work with Windows XP?
Guys, Have you been able to get this beast to work with Windows XP? When I attempt to run the install program, it says it "Can not write PATH Key" and then quits. I am in Administration mode on the PC and can write to the PATH manually. Is there a newer viewer then Version 2 Release 3 Build 20001004? Thanks! ----------------------- James http://www.fordaspire.com -Web http://www.fordtaurus.net -Web jpiper2@gmail.com - Email ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Mapping Drives From Windows 2000 To Windows XP
First, let me say I am a developer not a network guy, so I reconize my limitations in this area. I am running Windows XP on my desktop in Domain A. I am trying to map a drive on a Windows 2000 server machine in Domain B using Windows explorer. I supply credentials which are valid for the Win2K machin in Domain B. A space is created in my explorer (the space is blank, it does not contain any information about the drive I mapped). I can see the file system (i.e. the directory tree) fine, but if I try to copy any files from my pc to the mapped drive, I get complaints about the filenames being ...

Windows 2000 and Windows XP using Firewire connection
Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. Win 2000 does not have drivers for IEEE (1394) to allow networking. I currently using a wireless connection which works and also a LAN 100mbit connection which works. I would like to try and use firewire as well. Are there drivers available for Win 2000 to allow firewire networking? Can the XP drivers be used instead? Tanx Martin On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:34:54 GMT, no-spam@here.com wrote: > Has anyone been able to use this method for networking? > > Win XP has the drivers etc loaded. >...

windows 2000 and windows xp networking problem with athentication
i am trying to do a peer to peer with a windows 2000 machine and a xp corp machine. i can see the machines in my network places, but when i try to connect to the xp machine it ask for username and password, we have usernames and passwords set up for both machines , they are the same ones we use to log onto our own machines. they both have admin rights. when we put in the username and password and hit ok it just ask for it again and doesnt connect..we are both connected to a router for my cable connection..the firewall allows acces from our ip's..any help..thanks rh_nayan@msn.com ...

802.1x PEAP Windows XP and Windows 2000
I have a working 802.1x model setup in our enterprise on both our wired network and our wireless network. We are experiencing strange problems related to drive mappings not showing up, global policies not being push ed down to clients properly, long unexplainable delays with authentication attempts, etc. I have not found any really good resources for 802.1x tweaks. We have the basic concept working, but I am very hesitant about rolling this a large number of users. I would appreciate any information or resources that anyone can point me to. Thx! -mike ...

802.1x PEAP Windows XP and Windows 2000
I have a working 802.1x model setup in our enterprise on both our wired network and our wireless network. We are experiencing strange problems related to drive mappings not showing up, global policies not being push ed down to clients properly, long unexplainable delays with authentication attempts, etc. I have not found any really good resources for 802.1x tweaks. We have the basic concept working, but I am very hesitant about rolling this a large number of users. I would appreciate any information or resources that anyone can point me to. Thx! -mike ...

Windows Time, Windows 2000 server and XP Client
Hi, We currently have a windows 2000 machine that has an atomic clock on it. Our PDC (NT 4.0 Server) looks at this to get it's time, and all our NT 4.0 Workstations get the time from this. We are rolling out windows XP, and are trying to build a standard image that look at for the time on either the windows 2000 server or the NT 4.0 PDC. I can't get this working at the moment - if i choose to 'Synchronize with an Internet Time Server', and name either the PDC or Windows 2000 server, it fails. Also, if I type 'NET TIME' from a command prompt, it locates...

Web resources about - replacing windows xp with windows 2000 - comp.laptops

Facebook Tests Replacing Keyword Ad Targeting With Broad Category Targeting
Facebook is testing a major functionality change for its self-serve performance ad tool that would replace the specific Like keyword targeting ...

The Dangers of Replacing Coil Springs on Your Vehicle - Bonus Clip - YouTube
In this episode of Saturday Mechanic bonus clip, Ben and Russ show what happens when a coil spring compressor fails. Subscribe today for more! ...

School apologises for taking cane off blind boy and replacing it with pool noodle
A primary school has apologised for taking away the cane of an eight-year-old blind boy and replacing it swimming pool noddle as a form of punishment. ...

Federation Centres stuns market by replacing CEO Steven Sewell with Angus McNaughton effective immediately ...
Retail landlord Federation Centres has surprised the market with the&nbsp;appointment of&nbsp;former Novion Property's Angus McNaughton as the ...

Replacing China's broken economic gauge
As Chinese growth shifts away from its reliance on heavy industry, we need a new index to the track the ups and downs of the economy.

Inner south residents worried about high-rises replacing public housing flats
Residents say the&nbsp;government&nbsp;is over-developing its inner south blocks to maximise their sale value.

Apache Software Foundation unveils Hadoop 2, replacing MapReduce with YARN
The Apache Software Foundation unveiled its latest release of its open source data processing program, Hadoop 2. It runs multiple applications ...

Australia spends $110 million a year replacing lost coins
Australians lose 255 million coins every year - down the back of our couches, taken overseas in the pockets of tourists and stuck to footpaths. ...

Tweets Replacing Resumes - Twitter Becomes Job-Hunting Tool
Forget paper resumes, your next job could hang on a 140-letter tweet.

A case of one bad government replacing another
THERE is a widening gap between the sort of government a Tony Abbott-led Coalition will need to become to steer the nation successfully in the ...

Resources last updated: 2/6/2016 2:18:19 AM