T40 or 803lci (or D600?)

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a Pentium-M thin-and-light and have basically narrowed it
down to the IBM T40 and Acer 803lci.  I was looking at the Dell D600, which
is by far the cheapest when you look at comparable configurations, but I
tried a friend's D800 and couldn't stand the flimsy keyboard (I do a *lot*
of typing and a solid, relatively quiet keyboard is a must).

I don't know much about the IBM as I haven't considered the brand until
recently; I would have already bought the Acer were it not for its lack of a
pointing stick (traditionally, my preferred notebook input device).  I would
be grateful for any pros, cons, experiences, opinions, comparisons, etc
regarding the IBM and Acer notebooks.

Thanks in advance,
David

0
Reply Holden 7/27/2003 9:53:39 AM

See related articles to this posting

Hi

I worked in a Magazine's Test Lab this summer and we got a Centrino
Based T40. I can't compare it with acer but the t40 came with great
battery life (around 6 hrs) which will be an important factor if you
really want life without wires. The T40 also seemed to be sturdy (ppl
handle laptops roughly @ labs cause that is how the user is expected
to handle them) and unlike Samsung X10 (A exceptionally thin and light
laptop), the T40's display didn't get loose.

T40 is a nice Notebook. A definate recommendation if you don't mind
the money. IBM also gives a complimentary 3 yr insurance here in
India.

Manas Mittal
mailmethere@yahoo.com

"Holden Caulfield" <injektiloNOSPAM@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<DiNUa.564068$Vi5.14038586@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for a Pentium-M thin-and-light and have basically narrowed it
> down to the IBM T40 and Acer 803lci.  I was looking at the Dell D600, which
> is by far the cheapest when you look at comparable configurations, but I
> tried a friend's D800 and couldn't stand the flimsy keyboard (I do a *lot*
> of typing and a solid, relatively quiet keyboard is a must).
>
> I don't know much about the IBM as I haven't considered the brand until
> recently; I would have already bought the Acer were it not for its lack of a
> pointing stick (traditionally, my preferred notebook input device).  I would
> be grateful for any pros, cons, experiences, opinions, comparisons, etc
> regarding the IBM and Acer notebooks.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David
0
Reply mailmethere 7/28/2003 5:58:54 PM

I'll agree that if you don't mind spending the money, the T40 is a
great choice.  The standard battery life isn't bad, (4.7 hrs), but
personally I spent $120 for an 8 hr battery.. It's very sturdy and
comes with a wireless card built in (not sure whether this is standard
or not).  Overall it's a great buy.. I really like the video quality
and speed of the Mobile processor.

peter_alan@hotmail.com
0
Reply peter_alan 7/31/2003 4:24:24 PM

peter_alan@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<5a126b42.0307310824.313a308e@posting.google.com>...
> I'll agree that if you don't mind spending the money, the T40 is a
> great choice.  The standard battery life isn't bad, (4.7 hrs), but
> personally I spent $120 for an 8 hr battery.. It's very sturdy and
> comes with a wireless card built in (not sure whether this is standard
> or not).  Overall it's a great buy.. I really like the video quality
> and speed of the Mobile processor.
>
> peter_alan@hotmail.com

I also will have to give great reviews on the T40. I'm using it right
now as a matter of fact. Prices range from $1700 to over $3000
depending on configuation. I paid about $2200 for mine.
0
Reply vwmeister 8/4/2003 2:33:54 AM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

T40 vs. D600
Is the T40 worth an $82 premium over the D600, comparably equipped? About $200 over the D500.... (Okay, the D600 has a CD-RW, which I don't really care about, and a media bay battery, which I think it needs to match the T40's base battery life. But the T40's 256MB of RAM is in one stick, to two for the D600. Hmm... and the Dell has a longer base warranty; 3 years vs. 1.) --Robert Robert, You might want to check your specs again - I've never seen a T40 with less than a 3 year warranty..... One other comment I have heard is that the wrist rest on the right side of th...

D600, D800, T30, or T40?
My company will buy a laptop for me. It will be the only computer I have in the office. Most time I will use it as a desktop through external monitor. Sometime I will bring it home. The choices are: Dell D600, D800, Thinkpad T30, T40. Which one should I choose, in terms of performance, quality, and convenience (ease of setup as a desktop)? I am concern about the display of D800. The resulotion is too high for the 15'' LCD. Currently my first choice is T40, but the price may be beyond the budget. Then which can be the second choice? Thanks in advance. D600. Not too big, ...

T40 batteries
Hi! I have an extra battery for my IBM Thinkpad T40 (an ultraslim one for the CD ROM bay). The two batteries work fine. The system always used the ultrabay one first, and then the main battery. Does anybody know a way of switching the order for that ? I want the main battery to be used first, and then the other. In that way, the cycle count for them will be rather even, and the life of both batteries will be equivalent. Regards Andres ...

T40 display
I haven't a chance to look anything up yet but the display on my T40 is flickering on and off, mostly off, when I move the lid. Is it possible that this is an easy fix? I.e. just resecuring the display cable? In any case, I bought this used, does anyone have any good links for instructions on dismantling a T40? Thanks, Greg -- Ticketbastard tax tracker: http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html Dethink to survive - Mclusky http://www.ibm.com/support/us/en/ and you should be able to find the hardware maintenance manual. -- "Marc Auslander" <marcslists@optonlin...

Repartition T40
Im getting a new T40 in about a week and was planning on repartitioning the single 40GB disk that comes with it. I read from these newsgroups that there is some preinstalled IBM software that gets stored in the last few cylinders of the harddrive. If i reformat the whole disk, Im going to lose all that information. How do i repartition the drive without losing the last few cylinders where the IBM stuff is stored? Basically id like to have 2 partitions, one for applications and one for data. Thanks for any help Raj Hi Raja, I use PartitionMagic v7.01. Might I recommend that you partition th...

Upgrading T40
Just a lazy sort of post, but I bought a bottom of the range T40 last summer, and was wondering just how much I could upgrade it... Memory to 2GB easy enough. Harddrive to whatever the maximum is. Ultrabay to whenever the DVDRW comes out Graphics card - no? CPU? can I just swap my 1.3GHZ centrino for a 1.7GHZ? Does anyone know if T40s are bluetooth upgradeable? I have 'b' wireless - is it possible to upgrade to 'b/g'? How about 2100 RAM to 2600? Screen? Might want a higher res screen in the future. Hmmm, seems about it. If anyone else knows what else is upgradeable or wheth...

T40 update
Does anyone have any information on when IBM is going to update the T40. I specificaly want to know when it will get a dvd burner (one that fits in the slim drive), when it will get a better graphics card, and when IBM will be doing a general refresh (T41?). and I would like to know when they will have a model with a higher resolution screen but at a reasonable price. The only reason why I'm not getting the T40 is because in order to get the higher resolution I have to pay a lot more. "David King" <davidking2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d6f56f5a.0309271709.2f70b9a4...

T40 locks up
My old trusty T40 started to misbehave. It locks up after a few minutes of normal work (sooner on AC, takes a bit longer on battery). Does so in Windows, or on startup screen (if restarted by means of power switch right after the lock-up), or even in BIOS setup screen - so I think this time it's not Windows fault. Not even a trace of any error in event log. Video keeps the picture as it was at the moment of lock-up until the thing is turned off. My guess - CPU gets overheated. The primary suspect - fan (it doesn't turn on), after all moving parts are always less reliable ...

Tecra S1 or T40
Im confused between choosing a Tecra S1 or IBM T40. I use it mainly for programming/multimedia and im looking at a centrino 1.6GHz/512MB ram/40GB machines. Both S1 and T40 come to about approx 2300$, Ayn suggestions about which to choose? TIA Raj raja05 at yahoo dot com ...

Mandrake on Thinkpad T40
I am thinking of buying an IBM Thinkpad T40 machine and am wondering about it's compatibility with mandrake 9.1, in dual-boot with XP. Does anyone have any experience on this matter? Thanks in advance Miguel Miguel Neto wrote: > I am thinking of buying an IBM Thinkpad T40 machine and am wondering > about it's compatibility with mandrake 9.1, in dual-boot with XP. Does > anyone have any experience on this matter? > Thanks in advance > Miguel i installed mandrake's 9.2rc2 on my T40 (kernel 2.4.22). acpi isn't working, otherwise no problems. see tuxmobil.com/cent...

Thinkpad T40 191460
Hy In that year and was marketed IBM Thinkpad T40. Allows booting from USB port? Thanks Best regards John Smith wrote: > Hy > > In that year and was marketed > IBM Thinkpad T40. > Allows booting from USB port? > > Thanks > > Best regards My T40 boots from a floppy plugged into the USB port but I've never tried from other devices. Phil Sherman Thanks Best regards ...

Buying Thinkpad T40
So I am almost convinced Thinkpad T40 is the one I want. Just in a process of checking out different options to get the right configuration. My question is, what is the difference in buying direct from IBM and one of many "online" stores? I am not concerned about getting the cheapest price, but I don't want to overpay either since I am paying for the system out of my own pocket. Thanks, yuki The main difference is price. I bought my T40 (237392u) from www.kaanza.com and I was extremely pleased with their service. Shipped the same day and you can even ask for discount if you ...

differences, T42/T40?
Basically, what are the differences between the T40 and T42 apart from the processor? (if one takes models with the same screen size & HD) I thought T40's don't have centrino but then I saw that it has models that appear to be with the centrino (Pentium M?) http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_237347U thanks heruti <heruti@lycos.com> wrote: > Basically, what are the differences between the T40 and T42 apart from > the processor? > (if one takes models with the same screen size & HD) > > I thought T40's don't have centrino ...

T40 hotkey not working
Hi Everyone, In response to an occasional slowing down of the response of the keyboard, I installed the latest drivers for IBM's hotkey feature in order to remove it. I also downloaded the two extra drivers it said I needed. I haven't come across the slowing down thing recently, but that doesn't mean it's not there... But I have a new problem, in that whenever I set 'enable key assignments' in the 'keyboard customizer utility', the key assignments only work for as long as the laptop is on. Restart it, and it's off again!!! The installation said that I s...

IBM T40/41 ?
I am looking for a replacement laptop for my graduate student son, want something that is reliable and with service when it is not. Tasks are email, web surfing, word processing, watching movies and lsitening to music. I see some refurbed/used T40 for around $1000, pretty well loaded. I know that lesser brands will give me a bit more for that price, but reliability and service are key. Any comments, BTDTs? Thanks, stuart Friedman East Montpelier, VT Have a T40, Perfect* for all those things you mention, highly recommended. Duncan. *In an ideal world a 17" widescreen with flexview w...

headphone sound on D600
Hi, I'm running debian sarge on a Dell Laditute D600 with an Intel 8x0 soundcard. The sound on the internal speakers of the notebook runs very good but if i connect a headphone on the headphone output on the notenook the sound quality is very bad. I think it is a problem of the volume level but i don't know were I can decrease them. When I run alsamixer I found only one item, called IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA, which change the output level. If I increase the level of this item higher 0, the sound over the headphone stops totally. further information on my soundcard: Card: Intel 82801...

T40 backlighting on the blink...
Went to power up my T40 this evening. It only lights up for a second, enough time to see the full screen IBM Thinkpad logo on the LCD, and then goes dark. After that if I get the room lighting just right I can dimly see text on the screen but it is like being in a coal mine without a light. I tried reseating the cable from the LCD to the motherboard but no change. Could this be an inverter card failure? There was no warning that this failure was coming on.. Before today the back lighting was fine. Steve Either the back light tubes, Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamps (CCFLs)...

Thinkpad t40 421174
Hi, Does anyone have access to a video showing how to dismantle one of these? I've found mine has developed the " move and screen blacks out" fault. Saw someone doing a solder reflow of the video card to motherbord and I'd try that (I've nothing to lose) but don't have a clue as how to start to dismantle the laptop. I'd be grateful for any pointers in the right direction. Thanks in advance -- Archie Gallacher On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 10:32:23 +0000, Archie Gallacher <archie@killie1.demon.co.uk> wrote in <IiZCS0A3MVvHFwNx@killie1.demon.co.uk>: >D...

buying ibm t40
hi, i'm considering buying an ibm t40 and here're my questions. (i've never used a laptop before.) 1. is there any difference in service/repair/warranty (or anything) if i buy a tp from other online reseller other than ibm.com? 2. if the (ordered and) delivered tp has "dead pixels", what can i do? can i return and ask for a flawless one? i heard that the manufacturers have "acceptable" number of dead pixels. thanks. j.k. I don't know about IBM, but for example Compaq/HP specifies in their manual that up to 9 !! dead pixels is acceptable. It used to ...

HD upgrade for T40
Hi, I am considering the cheapest T40 with a 30G HD and later upgrading to a MUCH larger HD. Can anyone tell me how easy this is and if it voids the warranty. Thanks. >Can anyone tell me how easy this is Checkout: http://tinyurl.com/gsfk >and if it voids the warranty. No ... in most cases if you should have to send it in for repair, you should remove the HD and extra RAM. Go for it ... John ...

T40 -WinXP Explorer
I just got my new T40 and im having some wierd lines(almost transparent) on the right top side of the windows explorer. This happens only with Windows Explorer and all my other programs are fine. I did download LCDTest and made sure there are no dead pixels on the screen. Anyone else see this? Again, its only on the windows explorer. Maybe a bad XP Install? A XP Bug? Thanks Raj In article <6d6660fe.0309130723.e84d8ff@posting.google.com>, raja05@yahoo.com (Raja) wrote: >I just got my new T40 and im having some wierd lines(almost >transparent) on the right top side of the windows e...

Dell Latitude D600
Hello, Just inheritated of this beast, and I am having lots of problems even just trying to use it. XP SP2 is installed. 1. Audio does not work. I get the mysterious message "Driver is enabled nut not started" in Device Manager (!!) 2. Wireless does not work either, says "No interface", although the driver does look fine in Device Manager. 3. (worst problem by far) I tried installing some Creative's software for MP3 player and since then... I cannot even logon in normal mode! After typing username and password, the laptop will just freezes. The login window st...

T40 hang problem
Hey there, i have a T40 Thinkpad from IBM. The modell-number is 2373-12G. I installed Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I never tryed the notebook with Service Pack 1. My problem is a statistic hang problem. Sometimes the Notebook hangs and nothing helps. I can only reboot the Notebook. This problem correlates not with ac or battery working. So if someone could help me - plz. msg... -- Erstellt mit Operas revolution´┐Żrem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/ i think these laptops like win2k more. "Michael Kratz" <michael.kratz@web.de> wrote in m...

Dell D600 Latitude
Hi, I appear to be having a strange problem with my laptop. I am having a constant ticking noise come from my laptop, which would make one think it is a hard-drive error, but the noise only sounds when I have one particular application open. The second that application is minimised, the ticking noise stops and doesn't continue until that application is opened again - Strange !! I have checked all settings etc with my laptop and the application, but cannot seem to cure the problem. If anyone has heard of this before or is aware of a fix - please let me know as it is most frustrating !!...