T40 or 803lci (or D600?)

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a Pentium-M thin-and-light and have basically narrowed it
down to the IBM T40 and Acer 803lci.  I was looking at the Dell D600, which
is by far the cheapest when you look at comparable configurations, but I
tried a friend's D800 and couldn't stand the flimsy keyboard (I do a *lot*
of typing and a solid, relatively quiet keyboard is a must).

I don't know much about the IBM as I haven't considered the brand until
recently; I would have already bought the Acer were it not for its lack of a
pointing stick (traditionally, my preferred notebook input device).  I would
be grateful for any pros, cons, experiences, opinions, comparisons, etc
regarding the IBM and Acer notebooks.

Thanks in advance,
David

0
Holden
7/27/2003 9:53:39 AM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

Hi

I worked in a Magazine's Test Lab this summer and we got a Centrino
Based T40. I can't compare it with acer but the t40 came with great
battery life (around 6 hrs) which will be an important factor if you
really want life without wires. The T40 also seemed to be sturdy (ppl
handle laptops roughly @ labs cause that is how the user is expected
to handle them) and unlike Samsung X10 (A exceptionally thin and light
laptop), the T40's display didn't get loose.

T40 is a nice Notebook. A definate recommendation if you don't mind
the money. IBM also gives a complimentary 3 yr insurance here in
India.

Manas Mittal
mailmethere@yahoo.com

"Holden Caulfield" <injektiloNOSPAM@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<DiNUa.564068$Vi5.14038586@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for a Pentium-M thin-and-light and have basically narrowed it
> down to the IBM T40 and Acer 803lci.  I was looking at the Dell D600, which
> is by far the cheapest when you look at comparable configurations, but I
> tried a friend's D800 and couldn't stand the flimsy keyboard (I do a *lot*
> of typing and a solid, relatively quiet keyboard is a must).
>
> I don't know much about the IBM as I haven't considered the brand until
> recently; I would have already bought the Acer were it not for its lack of a
> pointing stick (traditionally, my preferred notebook input device).  I would
> be grateful for any pros, cons, experiences, opinions, comparisons, etc
> regarding the IBM and Acer notebooks.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David
0
mailmethere
7/28/2003 5:58:54 PM
I'll agree that if you don't mind spending the money, the T40 is a
great choice.  The standard battery life isn't bad, (4.7 hrs), but
personally I spent $120 for an 8 hr battery.. It's very sturdy and
comes with a wireless card built in (not sure whether this is standard
or not).  Overall it's a great buy.. I really like the video quality
and speed of the Mobile processor.

peter_alan@hotmail.com
0
peter_alan
7/31/2003 4:24:24 PM
peter_alan@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<5a126b42.0307310824.313a308e@posting.google.com>...
> I'll agree that if you don't mind spending the money, the T40 is a
> great choice.  The standard battery life isn't bad, (4.7 hrs), but
> personally I spent $120 for an 8 hr battery.. It's very sturdy and
> comes with a wireless card built in (not sure whether this is standard
> or not).  Overall it's a great buy.. I really like the video quality
> and speed of the Mobile processor.
>
> peter_alan@hotmail.com

I also will have to give great reviews on the T40. I'm using it right
now as a matter of fact. Prices range from $1700 to over $3000
depending on configuation. I paid about $2200 for mine.
0
vwmeister