T40 or 803lci (or D600?)

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a Pentium-M thin-and-light and have basically narrowed it
down to the IBM T40 and Acer 803lci.  I was looking at the Dell D600, which
is by far the cheapest when you look at comparable configurations, but I
tried a friend's D800 and couldn't stand the flimsy keyboard (I do a *lot*
of typing and a solid, relatively quiet keyboard is a must).

I don't know much about the IBM as I haven't considered the brand until
recently; I would have already bought the Acer were it not for its lack of a
pointing stick (traditionally, my preferred notebook input device).  I would
be grateful for any pros, cons, experiences, opinions, comparisons, etc
regarding the IBM and Acer notebooks.

Thanks in advance,
David

0
Holden
7/27/2003 9:53:39 AM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 5 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

Hi

I worked in a Magazine's Test Lab this summer and we got a Centrino
Based T40. I can't compare it with acer but the t40 came with great
battery life (around 6 hrs) which will be an important factor if you
really want life without wires. The T40 also seemed to be sturdy (ppl
handle laptops roughly @ labs cause that is how the user is expected
to handle them) and unlike Samsung X10 (A exceptionally thin and light
laptop), the T40's display didn't get loose.

T40 is a nice Notebook. A definate recommendation if you don't mind
the money. IBM also gives a complimentary 3 yr insurance here in
India.

Manas Mittal
mailmethere@yahoo.com

"Holden Caulfield" <injektiloNOSPAM@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<DiNUa.564068$Vi5.14038586@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>...
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for a Pentium-M thin-and-light and have basically narrowed it
> down to the IBM T40 and Acer 803lci.  I was looking at the Dell D600, which
> is by far the cheapest when you look at comparable configurations, but I
> tried a friend's D800 and couldn't stand the flimsy keyboard (I do a *lot*
> of typing and a solid, relatively quiet keyboard is a must).
>
> I don't know much about the IBM as I haven't considered the brand until
> recently; I would have already bought the Acer were it not for its lack of a
> pointing stick (traditionally, my preferred notebook input device).  I would
> be grateful for any pros, cons, experiences, opinions, comparisons, etc
> regarding the IBM and Acer notebooks.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David
0
mailmethere
7/28/2003 5:58:54 PM
I'll agree that if you don't mind spending the money, the T40 is a
great choice.  The standard battery life isn't bad, (4.7 hrs), but
personally I spent $120 for an 8 hr battery.. It's very sturdy and
comes with a wireless card built in (not sure whether this is standard
or not).  Overall it's a great buy.. I really like the video quality
and speed of the Mobile processor.

peter_alan@hotmail.com
0
peter_alan
7/31/2003 4:24:24 PM
peter_alan@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote in message news:<5a126b42.0307310824.313a308e@posting.google.com>...
> I'll agree that if you don't mind spending the money, the T40 is a
> great choice.  The standard battery life isn't bad, (4.7 hrs), but
> personally I spent $120 for an 8 hr battery.. It's very sturdy and
> comes with a wireless card built in (not sure whether this is standard
> or not).  Overall it's a great buy.. I really like the video quality
> and speed of the Mobile processor.
>
> peter_alan@hotmail.com

I also will have to give great reviews on the T40. I'm using it right
now as a matter of fact. Prices range from $1700 to over $3000
depending on configuation. I paid about $2200 for mine.
0
vwmeister

Upgrading T40
Just a lazy sort of post, but I bought a bottom of the range T40 last summer, and was wondering just how much I could upgrade it... Memory to 2GB easy enough. Harddrive to whatever the maximum is. Ultrabay to whenever the DVDRW comes out Graphics card - no? CPU? can I just swap my 1.3GHZ centrino for a 1.7GHZ? Does anyone know if T40s are bluetooth upgradeable? I have 'b' wireless - is it possible to upgrade to 'b/g'? How about 2100 RAM to 2600? Screen? Might want a higher res screen in the future. Hmmm, seems about it. If anyone else knows what else is upgradeable or wheth...

T40 update
Does anyone have any information on when IBM is going to update the T40. I specificaly want to know when it will get a dvd burner (one that fits in the slim drive), when it will get a better graphics card, and when IBM will be doing a general refresh (T41?). and I would like to know when they will have a model with a higher resolution screen but at a reasonable price. The only reason why I'm not getting the T40 is because in order to get the higher resolution I have to pay a lot more. "David King" <davidking2@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d6f56f5a.0309271709.2f70b9a4...

BT on Acer Travelmate 803Lci
I'm having trouble getting BT to work on my Acer Travelmate 803LCI. The Nokia PC suite doesn't connect, mRouter doesn't connect, I cannot make a serial connection to the mobile. I wanted to re-install the BT driver but the Widcomm driver cannot be downloaded anymore. On the Acer site, I can find all drivers for this notebook except of course anything related to bluetooth? I'm clueless. Hopefully someone can help me out here! Thanks in advance! Kris ...

ThinkPad T40 with USB keyboard & mouse having APM probs, RH9
Can anyone help please? This has been driving me insane: - IBM Thinkpad T40 running RH9 (using either Gnome Desktop or FluxboxWM) with USB keyboard and mouse, external display (not mirrored, everything is on the external monitor) - About every hour, the screen blanks and I have to hit a key on the laptop keyboard to wake up the display, as if apmd (or some type of apm, maybe BIOS?) doesn't recognize or care about all of my usb key/mouse events - It wakes from display blanking gracefully, usb keys/mouse work fine, there are no side effects- display cuts, I hit a key on the laptop,...

T40 batteries
Hi! I have an extra battery for my IBM Thinkpad T40 (an ultraslim one for the CD ROM bay). The two batteries work fine. The system always used the ultrabay one first, and then the main battery. Does anybody know a way of switching the order for that ? I want the main battery to be used first, and then the other. In that way, the cycle count for them will be rather even, and the life of both batteries will be equivalent. Regards Andres ...

dell latitude d600 sleep and recovery
Hi! Just a note on the suspend function of the dell latitude d600 with windows xp. It appears that you need to depress the "case is closed" button, by closing the lid, or manually, before you can recover your session. I wasn't doing this, and it would fire up the hardware, but never bring the screen back to life. (Making me reboot every time ;( ). If you close the case, then it fires everything back up, and you can continue working in pleasure :) take care, speeves ...

X31 v. T40 series
I'm looking for a light laptop with a high res screen and good processing power. Personally I dont need things such as CD Burners or DVD drives, so this is why I started to look into the X series of IBM laptops. Any reviews or opinions on them vs. the T series? http://www.upenn.edu/computing/provider/docs/centrinoprovider.html U�ytkownik "Amar Sider" <sydanyc@hotmail.com> napisa� w wiadomo�ci news:3fb2ac47$2_4@marge.ic.sunysb.edu... I'm looking for a light laptop with a high res screen and good processing power. Personally I dont need things such as CD Burners...

Tecra S1 or T40
Im confused between choosing a Tecra S1 or IBM T40. I use it mainly for programming/multimedia and im looking at a centrino 1.6GHz/512MB ram/40GB machines. Both S1 and T40 come to about approx 2300$, Ayn suggestions about which to choose? TIA Raj raja05 at yahoo dot com ...

Sounf Problem
I have a new T40 with the Dock Station II and the speakers in the laptop do not disable when I place the laptop in the docking station so that the speakers attached to the station will play without the tinny speakers on the laptop playing. It was working fine before and then it stopped and the only change that I made was I made a secure link on my new wireless keyboard. It was working prior to making the link secure but I can't imagine that would be causing this issue. It is a Logitech wireless keyboard if that makes a difference. I had to remove the speaker mini-plug f...

ThinkPad T40 Keyboard Help
I have managed to accidentally activate the alternate function keys for the letters. Now I get a * instead of the letter P. This must be an obvious function key somewhere, but I just can't find it! Anyone know how to revert to normal key operations please. TIA Phil You've just activated the numlock key.. <shift - numlock (it's the scroll lock key)> Al... "TheScullster" <pscull@cutthespameuropacrown.com> wrote in message news:bkeo7r$fk7$1$830fa79f@news.demon.co.uk... > I have managed to accidentally activate the alternate function keys for the > l...

T40 locks up
My old trusty T40 started to misbehave. It locks up after a few minutes of normal work (sooner on AC, takes a bit longer on battery). Does so in Windows, or on startup screen (if restarted by means of power switch right after the lock-up), or even in BIOS setup screen - so I think this time it's not Windows fault. Not even a trace of any error in event log. Video keeps the picture as it was at the moment of lock-up until the thing is turned off. My guess - CPU gets overheated. The primary suspect - fan (it doesn't turn on), after all moving parts are always less reliable ...

Repartition T40
Im getting a new T40 in about a week and was planning on repartitioning the single 40GB disk that comes with it. I read from these newsgroups that there is some preinstalled IBM software that gets stored in the last few cylinders of the harddrive. If i reformat the whole disk, Im going to lose all that information. How do i repartition the drive without losing the last few cylinders where the IBM stuff is stored? Basically id like to have 2 partitions, one for applications and one for data. Thanks for any help Raj Hi Raja, I use PartitionMagic v7.01. Might I recommend that you partition th...

T40 display
I haven't a chance to look anything up yet but the display on my T40 is flickering on and off, mostly off, when I move the lid. Is it possible that this is an easy fix? I.e. just resecuring the display cable? In any case, I bought this used, does anyone have any good links for instructions on dismantling a T40? Thanks, Greg -- Ticketbastard tax tracker: http://ticketmastersucks.org/tracker.html Dethink to survive - Mclusky http://www.ibm.com/support/us/en/ and you should be able to find the hardware maintenance manual. -- "Marc Auslander" <marcslists@optonlin...

T40 -WinXP Explorer
I just got my new T40 and im having some wierd lines(almost transparent) on the right top side of the windows explorer. This happens only with Windows Explorer and all my other programs are fine. I did download LCDTest and made sure there are no dead pixels on the screen. Anyone else see this? Again, its only on the windows explorer. Maybe a bad XP Install? A XP Bug? Thanks Raj In article <6d6660fe.0309130723.e84d8ff@posting.google.com>, raja05@yahoo.com (Raja) wrote: >I just got my new T40 and im having some wierd lines(almost >transparent) on the right top side of the windows e...

T40 vs. D600
Is the T40 worth an $82 premium over the D600, comparably equipped? About $200 over the D500.... (Okay, the D600 has a CD-RW, which I don't really care about, and a media bay battery, which I think it needs to match the T40's base battery life. But the T40's 256MB of RAM is in one stick, to two for the D600. Hmm... and the Dell has a longer base warranty; 3 years vs. 1.) --Robert Robert, You might want to check your specs again - I've never seen a T40 with less than a 3 year warranty..... One other comment I have heard is that the wrist rest on the right side of th...

T40 hotkey not working
Hi Everyone, In response to an occasional slowing down of the response of the keyboard, I installed the latest drivers for IBM's hotkey feature in order to remove it. I also downloaded the two extra drivers it said I needed. I haven't come across the slowing down thing recently, but that doesn't mean it's not there... But I have a new problem, in that whenever I set 'enable key assignments' in the 'keyboard customizer utility', the key assignments only work for as long as the laptop is on. Restart it, and it's off again!!! The installation said that I s...

T40 hang problem
Hey there, i have a T40 Thinkpad from IBM. The modell-number is 2373-12G. I installed Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2. I never tryed the notebook with Service Pack 1. My problem is a statistic hang problem. Sometimes the Notebook hangs and nothing helps. I can only reboot the Notebook. This problem correlates not with ac or battery working. So if someone could help me - plz. msg... -- Erstellt mit Operas revolution�rem E-Mail-Modul: http://www.opera.com/m2/ i think these laptops like win2k more. "Michael Kratz" <michael.kratz@web.de> wrote in m...

Vexing Problem-Dell D600 Laptop
I have a Dell D600 laptop which is now about 6 years old. In 2008, I upgraded the hard drive from the original 80 GB Fujitsu drive to a Western Digital 160 GB drive (NTFS formatted). Until last week all had been well with the system (the full hard drive was recognized by Windows XP Pro SP3 even though it was identified as a 137 GB drive by the BIOS, and it booted just fine). Then, upon rebooting I received an error message "A disk read error occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DEL to restart." I retried to boot several times and received the same message. On the chance that the MB...

IBM T40/41 ?
I am looking for a replacement laptop for my graduate student son, want something that is reliable and with service when it is not. Tasks are email, web surfing, word processing, watching movies and lsitening to music. I see some refurbed/used T40 for around $1000, pretty well loaded. I know that lesser brands will give me a bit more for that price, but reliability and service are key. Any comments, BTDTs? Thanks, stuart Friedman East Montpelier, VT Have a T40, Perfect* for all those things you mention, highly recommended. Duncan. *In an ideal world a 17" widescreen with flexview w...

Upload and Printing problems on Thinkpad T40
I have a home/small business network with a file server and multiple machines running various versions of Windows (XP Pro, ME, and 98) and Linux. All of my machines can download without a problem from any other machine. My Thinkpad T40 (2373-12U) however, has trouble printing to the print server (can only print very small files before timing out) and can only create a folder and transfer a very small file on another machine- even though it has full priviledges. It downloads fine from all sources-even to the extent of running DIVX movies from another source w/o a problem. I contacted...

HD upgrade for T40
Hi, I am considering the cheapest T40 with a 30G HD and later upgrading to a MUCH larger HD. Can anyone tell me how easy this is and if it voids the warranty. Thanks. >Can anyone tell me how easy this is Checkout: http://tinyurl.com/gsfk >and if it voids the warranty. No ... in most cases if you should have to send it in for repair, you should remove the HD and extra RAM. Go for it ... John ...

differences, T42/T40?
Basically, what are the differences between the T40 and T42 apart from the processor? (if one takes models with the same screen size & HD) I thought T40's don't have centrino but then I saw that it has models that appear to be with the centrino (Pentium M?) http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_237347U thanks heruti <heruti@lycos.com> wrote: > Basically, what are the differences between the T40 and T42 apart from > the processor? > (if one takes models with the same screen size & HD) > > I thought T40's don't have centrino ...

Buying Thinkpad T40
So I am almost convinced Thinkpad T40 is the one I want. Just in a process of checking out different options to get the right configuration. My question is, what is the difference in buying direct from IBM and one of many "online" stores? I am not concerned about getting the cheapest price, but I don't want to overpay either since I am paying for the system out of my own pocket. Thanks, yuki The main difference is price. I bought my T40 (237392u) from www.kaanza.com and I was extremely pleased with their service. Shipped the same day and you can even ask for discount if you ...

T40 BIOS and Embedded Controller Updates?
I have a Thinkpad T40 and went to Lenovo to check for BIOS updates. It is running on the original BIOS. The instructions say that the newer BIOS updates are only supported with the Embedded Controller Program v 3.x I have found the BIOS updates, but looking around I don't see any downloads or updates for the Embedded Controller Program. It does say, if you have to do both, do the BIOS first, then the Controller. Can anyone help explain this to me, please? Many thanks, Ken -- to email directly, remove "ECM" from email address in header mistercrisp wrote: > I have...

migrating hdisks from 17gb to 35gb in T40
Hi, I have a T40 populated with 17GB disks. However I do have 2 slots unused. I now want to replace all the disks with 35GB ones. All the VGs are mirrored. How is the best way to do this ? Can I stick the 35GB disks in the two unused slots, and unmirror a VG and mirgrate the data across ? I am a bit stuck on the best way to do this. Thanks. Pete 5.2 ML 1 Pete. How many copies of the VGs do you have ? With AIX you can have up to 3, if you have only 2 copies (primary and mirror) you can just add a new copy to the new 35 GB disks and then remove one copy from the old 17 GB disks. Use the ...