Using wireless

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
WiFi sniffer program.

I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."

What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.

When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
can't find it....

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Scott

0
Reply Robert 3/17/2005 1:39:03 AM

See related articles to this posting

"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message
><SNIP>
> It also says to make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.  If
> I have a wireless switch, I can't find it....

I think I did just find it!  It appears that depressing the "Fn" and "F1"
keys turns the wireless on and off.  I'll have to go back to my friend's
house....   :-)

Take it easy,
Bob

0
Reply Robert 3/17/2005 1:57:42 AM

1) Check to make sure the wireless device has the proper drivers
installed, under Settings ->Control Panel -> System -> Hardware ->
Device Manager -> Network Adapters
	 -Check here to make sure the drivers are current, and there
are no conflicts, and there are no 'Question Marks'.  It should say
your device has no conflicts, and is working properly.

2) Be sure the Wireless Zero Service is on Automatic, and is started.
	RMB 'My Computer' -> Manage -> Services and Applications ->
Services -> Wireless Zero Configuration.
	-Stumbler will stop this service to scan WAP's.  Enable this
service.
3) Is there a button or keyboard hot key to enable the wireless
device??  There usually is on laptops with built in wireless.
4) Is the wireless router working?? Connect to the router with a wire,
check the configuration of the WAP.  Even if there is a WEP key,
Stumbler should have picked up the WAP.
5) Is the wireless mini-PCI card properly seated and mounted in the
laptop?? Turn it over, undo the cover and check.  Also, I think there
are some contacts for the antenna which run from the mini-PCI slot
around the LCD.  Be sure the contacts are in the right place.

Good Luck.
samurai.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:39:03 GMT, "Robert  Scott"
<desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
>wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
>system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
>WiFi sniffer program.
>
>I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
>kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
>When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."
>
>What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
>don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
>could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
>will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.
>
>When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
>"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
>wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
>can't find it....
>
>Any information or guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Scott

0
Reply samurai 3/17/2005 8:43:16 AM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. Last I saw was expensive but good reports. but whats wrong with the Palm WiFi card? $100 and your on your way. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041048088400%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I&#...

Networking using Wireless DSL connection and Wireless Router
I have several computers currently connect through a 3com OfficeConnect 8 port hub. I have internet access through a wireless DSL provider that connects to the main computer via a USB port. This is the only option for high speed internet access in my area. I am trying to connect this main internet computer to the other computers in the LAN so that each can access the internet. I have purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point/ Router and I would think that there would be a way to connect them all together and use the internet on each. I have a 3com PCI NIC in the main comp...

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041043593447%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if > anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. > I haven&...

the wireless receiver to use wireless xbox 360 controller with PC
I got one of these little wireless receiver devices so I could use my wireless xbox 360 controller with my PC (I just bought Gears of War for the PC). How can I make the wireless connection between my controller and the PC without also turning on the xbox 360 console? I didn't see a way, so I unplugged the power cord of the xbox 360. I don't want to have to unplug it every time I want to use my wireless xbox controller with the PC. I'm doing the same thing with a wireless PS2 controller. I don't see how you can get past having to power down the console .. esp if the console i...

when to use ; and when to use ,
Any statements like printf("abc"); scanf("%d",&x); a=20; can be replaced by printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; So when should we use ; and when sould we use , In article <1181971596.941107.318810@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Ravi <ra.ravi.rav@gmail.com> wrote: >Any statements like > printf("abc"); > scanf("%d",&x); > a=20; >can be replaced by > printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; > >So when should we use ; and when sould we use , Use ; when you want ...

adding wireless 802.11b to Palm using USB-wireless?
Does any of you know if it is be possible to add 802.11b wireless connectivity to a Palm device that has a USB port, using one of those handy 802.11b USB-to-wireless devices? It seems to me that it should be mainly an issue of software, assuming that the USB-to-wireless device runs off of batteries. Drivers are the big issue but there also may be a power issue too. Many of the USB devices get power from the USB port. I do not know if the Palm USB port is capable of delivering adequate power from that port. TC "flarkblark" <plinius@mail.com> wrote in message news:ba7436c4.03...

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

Using Linksys wireless router for internet connection, can I use it to network computers?
Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network the computers (for printer/file sharing?) I look in network neighborhood and I dont see the other computers, and this doesnt seem to be covered in the maual. thanks entity@ziplip.com (Entity) wrote in message news:<c2bc2de2.0306280741.7f650bdb@posting.google.com>... > Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for > dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network > the computers (for printe...

anyone got a wireless pc running using linux?, what wireless usb nic IS supported ? f--k
I can get on the net using dhcp with knoppix 5.1 but debian 3.0r1 nor ubuntu 5.04 nor archlinux 7.1 can get my hawking hwu54g wireless usb nic going? zd1211 driver from lsusb anyone got a wireless pc running using linux? On 2006-08-31, gavino wrote: > I can get on the net using dhcp with knoppix 5.1 but debian 3.0r1 nor > ubuntu 5.04 nor archlinux 7.1 can get my hawking hwu54g wireless usb > nic going? Is this a question..., or just random babbling? > zd1211 driver from lsusp right on > anyone got a wireless pc running using linux? Yes, several. -- "Ubuntu" -...

Using where; Using index vs Using where
Hello, What are the difference between the following statements, which one is better? mysql> desc SELECT COUNT(*) as `cnt` FROM vote WHERE `ip` = INET_ATON('127.0.0.1') AND (`addtime` > NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY) ; +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra | +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | 1 | S...

Using wireless with Linux
I have a Linksys wireless 4 point router 802.11b with a Linksys wireless usb network adapter and a Linksys wireless network pc card all set up to run under windows os. I have been trying out various live Linux cds none of which will work using the wireless network adapter. My questions are: Can replace the Linksys wireless adapter with another brand using the current setup and if so which would be a good choice to run under Linux? I hope to install a linux distro to my hard drive eventually, many thanks. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:30:40 GMT, Lawrence wrote: > I have a Linksys wirele...

Using wireless networking
I have an acer 5002 notebook with an AMD Turion64 processor. I have installed Ubuntu linux (Breezy Badger), but noticed that the built-in wireless network wasn't listed as being compatible. Now, I also noticed that the Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA wireless network card was compatible, so I bought one. Problem is, I figure that it's not working because of the 64 bit archetecture. Power light's on in the card, I rebooted, and I can see the card in my Device Manager. I can't see it in my network-admin, and nothing is listed under iwconfig. I've tried different ways of using ndiswrap...

Using a wireless card
hey folks..... Please clear one more doubt of mine. This might sound naive. I havent used laptops much.... I have a friend of mine who has a laptop with a slot with an ethernet card. She has wireless internet connection in their home. She wants to use internet on her computer. I suggested her to buy a wireless card and replace the ethernet card with the wireless card. I just want to make sure whether replacing an ethernet card on the laptop with wireless card would help getting internet. thanx Shaun. oneders wrote: > hey folks..... > Please clear one more doubt of mi...

What Type of Wireless Should I Use?
My company has two locations, 0.92km apart as per Google earth. There is a direct line of sight. There are about equal number of computers in each site. Instead of using replication, we intend to keep everything on one server and link the sites together fast enough to become just a single LAN. Currently theres a 15mbit connection that is always saturated and can be troublesome ... from wavewireless. I suspect its just a power boosted 802.11b. I'm hoping for a gigabit connection using directional antennaes. I've looked into Wimax and D-link's 802.11n products. Dlink d...

Just When I Was Getting Used To Using Using
I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an enumeration: struct Packet { struct Payload { } ; } ; I had gotten into the habit of writing: using Packet::Payload; so I could write: Payload::..blah.. instead of Packet::Payload::..blah I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compiler from you-know-who on my source code and got 1000's of error messages: ...\Packet\Packet.cpp(13) : error C2885: 'Packet::Payload': not a valid using-declaration at non-class scope What does the standard say? Is th...

ActGen to use or not to use?
Hello, I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval version software. in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I wrote myself. Now as I was a beginner I didnt use the ActGen. Is it worth the effort to write the code partly by using ActGen macros for counter and muxes and etc. Thanks Naimesh Naimesh wrote: > I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval > version software. > > in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I > wrote myself. Good work. Writing your own code makes y...

file in use, could not use
Hi. I have two databases that are both linked to the same backend table. I can't use them both at the same time, yet other users can have both functioning simultaneously on their machines. Opening them is not the problem. ..but the error message appears when I run any queries linked to the table. It works in one database, but not the other. All users are running XP sp2 with Access 2003. The error message is the same regardless if anyone is using the backend or not. I believe it is machine specific...MY machine. I haven't a clue. Any ideas? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmon...

use wireless network for development?
I was wondering if any groups used a completely wireless network for software development? If so, how is it working out? It would seem if you did the majority of your development locally, just syncing files periodically, it should be ok. It seems likely you don't want to compile off a remotely mounted netapp server though. thoff wrote: > I was wondering if any groups used a completely > wireless network for software development? If so, > how is it working out? > > It would seem if you did the majority of your development > locally, just syncing files periodically, it ...

Defined but not used? But I am using it!
I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the following. namespace menutree { static bool debug = false; } And in various parts of the code I have statements like. if (menutree::debug) { std::cout << "here" << std::endl; Everything compiles but I get the warning "warning: `bool menutree::debug' defined but not used" Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks! Travis wrote: > I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the > following. > > namespace menutree > { > static boo...

To use or not to use CLOS
I must admit that I'm completely a newbie in Lisp, as I've been writing C and (some) C++ for years. I don't like the way in wich C++ resolves object programming, although sometimes I'm forced to use object oriented programming in C, in the same way as GTK+ does. Now I emprend a (personal) project and would like to start it from the very beginning in Lisp (my first project in this language). My simple question, and I want to ear answers from all you experts, is: do you recomend me CLOS or perhaps consider that using simple structure and Lisp facilities would be more than enough?...

Use and usefulness of the as syntax
First, could you confirm the following syntax import foo as f equivalent to import foo f = foo Now, I was wondering about the usefulness in everyday programming of the as syntax within an import statement. Here are some instances retrieved from real code of such a syntax import numpy as np import math as _math import pickle as pickle -- In the first case, the syntax is motivated by brevity need, isn't it ? -- The second case seems to be rather widespread and causes math attribute to be private but I don't figure out why this matters. -- In the last case, I can see no poin...

Use Wireless Router as Repeater??????
My home network is wired to several computers via CAT-5, as usual, with one or more computers linked wirelessly via another Netgear wireless router (WPN 824). This works swimmingly. Where the signal is weak, I want to use a wireless connection rather than the CAT-5 that is there. Is it possible to use another Netgear (my old WGR 614) as a repeater and shut off the routing function of it? Or is this even necessary (the wireless zones will likely overlap a bit)? (It will work for awhile by merely plugging it in at that remote location, but once the DHCP server polls with new IP addresses, t...

multiple input by using wireless
Hi, My group members and me are try to develop a project which call wireless data acqusition. Our main objective is to take are multiple measurement from substation using sensors and converter it to digital by usind ADC. Then transmit it using wireless device which we try to use such as&nbsp;wifi or zigbee. After that receive it from develop Pc's and do some analysis example measure voltage and cureent. Then this VI's can be monitored and control from the remote Pc's. I'm manage to do the the remote Pc's application, which I'm applied the web server technique. But ...