Using wireless

I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
WiFi sniffer program.

I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."

What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.

When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
can't find it....

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Scott

0
Robert
3/17/2005 1:39:03 AM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message
><SNIP>
> It also says to make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.  If
> I have a wireless switch, I can't find it....

I think I did just find it!  It appears that depressing the "Fn" and "F1"
keys turns the wireless on and off.  I'll have to go back to my friend's
house....   :-)

Take it easy,
Bob

0
Robert
3/17/2005 1:57:42 AM
1) Check to make sure the wireless device has the proper drivers
installed, under Settings ->Control Panel -> System -> Hardware ->
Device Manager -> Network Adapters
	 -Check here to make sure the drivers are current, and there
are no conflicts, and there are no 'Question Marks'.  It should say
your device has no conflicts, and is working properly.

2) Be sure the Wireless Zero Service is on Automatic, and is started.
	RMB 'My Computer' -> Manage -> Services and Applications ->
Services -> Wireless Zero Configuration.
	-Stumbler will stop this service to scan WAP's.  Enable this
service.
3) Is there a button or keyboard hot key to enable the wireless
device??  There usually is on laptops with built in wireless.
4) Is the wireless router working?? Connect to the router with a wire,
check the configuration of the WAP.  Even if there is a WEP key,
Stumbler should have picked up the WAP.
5) Is the wireless mini-PCI card properly seated and mounted in the
laptop?? Turn it over, undo the cover and check.  Also, I think there
are some contacts for the antenna which run from the mini-PCI slot
around the LCD.  Be sure the contacts are in the right place.

Good Luck.
samurai.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:39:03 GMT, "Robert  Scott"
<desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
>wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
>system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
>WiFi sniffer program.
>
>I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
>kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
>When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."
>
>What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
>don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
>could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
>will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.
>
>When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
>"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
>wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
>can't find it....
>
>Any information or guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Scott

0
samurai