Using wireless

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
WiFi sniffer program.

I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."

What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.

When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
can't find it....

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Scott

0
Reply Robert 3/17/2005 1:39:03 AM

See related articles to this posting

"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message
><SNIP>
> It also says to make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.  If
> I have a wireless switch, I can't find it....

I think I did just find it!  It appears that depressing the "Fn" and "F1"
keys turns the wireless on and off.  I'll have to go back to my friend's
house....   :-)

Take it easy,
Bob

0
Reply Robert 3/17/2005 1:57:42 AM

1) Check to make sure the wireless device has the proper drivers
installed, under Settings ->Control Panel -> System -> Hardware ->
Device Manager -> Network Adapters
	 -Check here to make sure the drivers are current, and there
are no conflicts, and there are no 'Question Marks'.  It should say
your device has no conflicts, and is working properly.

2) Be sure the Wireless Zero Service is on Automatic, and is started.
	RMB 'My Computer' -> Manage -> Services and Applications ->
Services -> Wireless Zero Configuration.
	-Stumbler will stop this service to scan WAP's.  Enable this
service.
3) Is there a button or keyboard hot key to enable the wireless
device??  There usually is on laptops with built in wireless.
4) Is the wireless router working?? Connect to the router with a wire,
check the configuration of the WAP.  Even if there is a WEP key,
Stumbler should have picked up the WAP.
5) Is the wireless mini-PCI card properly seated and mounted in the
laptop?? Turn it over, undo the cover and check.  Also, I think there
are some contacts for the antenna which run from the mini-PCI slot
around the LCD.  Be sure the contacts are in the right place.

Good Luck.
samurai.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:39:03 GMT, "Robert  Scott"
<desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
>wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
>system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
>WiFi sniffer program.
>
>I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
>kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
>When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."
>
>What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
>don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
>could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
>will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.
>
>When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
>"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
>wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
>can't find it....
>
>Any information or guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Scott

0
Reply samurai 3/17/2005 8:43:16 AM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. Last I saw was expensive but good reports. but whats wrong with the Palm WiFi card? $100 and your on your way. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041048088400%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I&#...

Networking using Wireless DSL connection and Wireless Router
I have several computers currently connect through a 3com OfficeConnect 8 port hub. I have internet access through a wireless DSL provider that connects to the main computer via a USB port. This is the only option for high speed internet access in my area. I am trying to connect this main internet computer to the other computers in the LAN so that each can access the internet. I have purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point/ Router and I would think that there would be a way to connect them all together and use the internet on each. I have a 3com PCI NIC in the main comp...

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041043593447%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if > anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. > I haven&...

the wireless receiver to use wireless xbox 360 controller with PC
I got one of these little wireless receiver devices so I could use my wireless xbox 360 controller with my PC (I just bought Gears of War for the PC). How can I make the wireless connection between my controller and the PC without also turning on the xbox 360 console? I didn't see a way, so I unplugged the power cord of the xbox 360. I don't want to have to unplug it every time I want to use my wireless xbox controller with the PC. I'm doing the same thing with a wireless PS2 controller. I don't see how you can get past having to power down the console .. esp if the console i...

adding wireless 802.11b to Palm using USB-wireless?
Does any of you know if it is be possible to add 802.11b wireless connectivity to a Palm device that has a USB port, using one of those handy 802.11b USB-to-wireless devices? It seems to me that it should be mainly an issue of software, assuming that the USB-to-wireless device runs off of batteries. Drivers are the big issue but there also may be a power issue too. Many of the USB devices get power from the USB port. I do not know if the Palm USB port is capable of delivering adequate power from that port. TC "flarkblark" <plinius@mail.com> wrote in message news:ba7436c4.03...

Using Linksys wireless router for internet connection, can I use it to network computers?
Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network the computers (for printer/file sharing?) I look in network neighborhood and I dont see the other computers, and this doesnt seem to be covered in the maual. thanks entity@ziplip.com (Entity) wrote in message news:<c2bc2de2.0306280741.7f650bdb@posting.google.com>... > Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for > dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network > the computers (for printe...

anyone got a wireless pc running using linux?, what wireless usb nic IS supported ? f--k
I can get on the net using dhcp with knoppix 5.1 but debian 3.0r1 nor ubuntu 5.04 nor archlinux 7.1 can get my hawking hwu54g wireless usb nic going? zd1211 driver from lsusb anyone got a wireless pc running using linux? On 2006-08-31, gavino wrote: > I can get on the net using dhcp with knoppix 5.1 but debian 3.0r1 nor > ubuntu 5.04 nor archlinux 7.1 can get my hawking hwu54g wireless usb > nic going? Is this a question..., or just random babbling? > zd1211 driver from lsusp right on > anyone got a wireless pc running using linux? Yes, several. -- "Ubuntu" -...

Using wireless with Linux
I have a Linksys wireless 4 point router 802.11b with a Linksys wireless usb network adapter and a Linksys wireless network pc card all set up to run under windows os. I have been trying out various live Linux cds none of which will work using the wireless network adapter. My questions are: Can replace the Linksys wireless adapter with another brand using the current setup and if so which would be a good choice to run under Linux? I hope to install a linux distro to my hard drive eventually, many thanks. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:30:40 GMT, Lawrence wrote: > I have a Linksys wirele...

Using wireless networking
I have an acer 5002 notebook with an AMD Turion64 processor. I have installed Ubuntu linux (Breezy Badger), but noticed that the built-in wireless network wasn't listed as being compatible. Now, I also noticed that the Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA wireless network card was compatible, so I bought one. Problem is, I figure that it's not working because of the 64 bit archetecture. Power light's on in the card, I rebooted, and I can see the card in my Device Manager. I can't see it in my network-admin, and nothing is listed under iwconfig. I've tried different ways of using ndiswrap...

Using a wireless card
hey folks..... Please clear one more doubt of mine. This might sound naive. I havent used laptops much.... I have a friend of mine who has a laptop with a slot with an ethernet card. She has wireless internet connection in their home. She wants to use internet on her computer. I suggested her to buy a wireless card and replace the ethernet card with the wireless card. I just want to make sure whether replacing an ethernet card on the laptop with wireless card would help getting internet. thanx Shaun. oneders wrote: > hey folks..... > Please clear one more doubt of mi...

What Type of Wireless Should I Use?
My company has two locations, 0.92km apart as per Google earth. There is a direct line of sight. There are about equal number of computers in each site. Instead of using replication, we intend to keep everything on one server and link the sites together fast enough to become just a single LAN. Currently theres a 15mbit connection that is always saturated and can be troublesome ... from wavewireless. I suspect its just a power boosted 802.11b. I'm hoping for a gigabit connection using directional antennaes. I've looked into Wimax and D-link's 802.11n products. Dlink d...

use wireless network for development?
I was wondering if any groups used a completely wireless network for software development? If so, how is it working out? It would seem if you did the majority of your development locally, just syncing files periodically, it should be ok. It seems likely you don't want to compile off a remotely mounted netapp server though. thoff wrote: > I was wondering if any groups used a completely > wireless network for software development? If so, > how is it working out? > > It would seem if you did the majority of your development > locally, just syncing files periodically, it ...

Use Wireless Router as Repeater??????
My home network is wired to several computers via CAT-5, as usual, with one or more computers linked wirelessly via another Netgear wireless router (WPN 824). This works swimmingly. Where the signal is weak, I want to use a wireless connection rather than the CAT-5 that is there. Is it possible to use another Netgear (my old WGR 614) as a repeater and shut off the routing function of it? Or is this even necessary (the wireless zones will likely overlap a bit)? (It will work for awhile by merely plugging it in at that remote location, but once the DHCP server polls with new IP addresses, t...

multiple input by using wireless
Hi, My group members and me are try to develop a project which call wireless data acqusition. Our main objective is to take are multiple measurement from substation using sensors and converter it to digital by usind ADC. Then transmit it using wireless device which we try to use such as&nbsp;wifi or zigbee. After that receive it from develop Pc's and do some analysis example measure voltage and cureent. Then this VI's can be monitored and control from the remote Pc's. I'm manage to do the the remote Pc's application, which I'm applied the web server technique. But ...

USing wireless modem over cable
I want to extend my LAN to a facility about a mile away. I cant run anthing new but there are twisted pairs and a 1 inch Heliax cable. I could use a dial-up connection but this is d efintely not my first choice. I have tried using the existing coax in a thicknet connection but this didnt work. I was thinking about using some wireless equipment we had in a novel way. Instead of using it with an antenna I intend to make direct connections via the cable. The cable has about 64 db of loss at 2.4 Ghz. Im not sure of the sensitivity of the receivers but I measured the tx out at about +20 Dbm. ITs ...

Problems with using wireless card
Hi All, I have installed Mandrake 10.1 on my Dell 700m Laptop.After Installation my wireless card was automatically discoverd by the OS. I did the configuration for Internet connection by providing the correct ESSID, using DHCP etc. The problem is I am unable to connect to the router using my laptop. I do not know whats wrong. If anybody on this group faced similar problems and can give some pointers to what might have gone wrong Please let me know about. TIA Apollo wrote: > Hi All, > > I have installed Mandrake 10.1 on my Dell 700m Laptop.After > Installation my wireless card...

Anyone using a Trackman Wireless?
I'm currently in the process of searching for a trackball, and am considering two options. Found a store which is relocating and has a sale on a Microsoft Trackball optical, I believe it's a vanilla optical-mouse type interface and I doubt I'll have much trouble getting it to work... probably plug it in and it works. Then there's another store where if I shell out $25 more I get a Trackman Wireless. Only I'm not sure how that one works. I guess it's gotta have an IR or RF receiver which would plug into your USB port, and probably uses some kind of software driver to ru...

Using T-C wireless
I just purchased a Tungsten C and am having pretty good luck with it thus far. I have a good wireless connection with my wireless system at home but the T-C will not connect at the local hotspot. This local hotspot is an "internet cafe" type place with a wireless system for their patrons. It uses the 802.11b freq and the range is approx 300 ft. What do I need to do to make that connection complete? Obviously I am a new user and need some tech help. So thanks for any help you can give me. Harry T -- --------------------------- In God We Trust <>< ...

Using a Wireless router as a hub ??
Hi all, I have the following A linksys 4port Gateway/Router (BEFSR41) and a wireless router DLink DI 614+ All the wired computers are connected to the linksys gateway and a dataport is connected to the WAN port of the DLink wireless gateway. I have one wireless laptop connected to the DLink wireless gateway that I have setup to connect to the internet thru the LinkSys gateway/router and I use this machine to VPN to the work network. The only problem is that from the laptop (wireless connected to DLink gateway) I cannot see any of my local machines even when I'm not conn...

Using MFD on wireless network?
Hi everyone, I'm considering going wireless as my new laptop has it built in. But I've got a query about using my epson rx420 in wireless mode. 1st can it be done with this printer, perhaps using a print server with usb output? 2nd if it can , would I be able to access all my printers functions, such as scanning and using the card reader built into it? Finally can anyone recommend suitable broadband routers and print servers many thanks for your time Andy In genreal, the printer drivers MAY work. The scanner and fax drivers will li...

Using wireless and Wired simultaneously
Is it possible to configure my powerbook to use both the ethernet and airport card simultaneously? At the moment I can only seem to manage one or the other. If so...how? In article <1125600046.709452.222590@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, sbitaxi@yorku.ca wrote: > Is it possible to configure my powerbook to use both the ethernet and > airport card simultaneously? At the moment I can only seem to manage > one or the other. > > If so...how? All it should take is (a) making sure both are active, in network preferences (in System Preferences), and (b) co...

Simultaneous DSL use with wireless?
If I add a wireless router to my DSL router, will my wife and I be able to simultaneously access the Internet with one DSL account--me on my laptop while she's on the desktop?...Bob In article <1104850699.294113.176980@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, <reb@henco.com> wrote: :If I add a wireless router to my DSL router, will my wife and I be able :to simultaneously access the Internet with one DSL account--me on my :laptop while she's on the desktop?...Bob Not -necessarily-, but very likely Yes. Most wireless routers do Network Address Translation (NAT). I ...

Re: What Type of Wireless Should I Use?
Where to start? Well ... Run your own fiber :-) Personally, I don't think you need GigE -- 100Mbps or even 48Mbps may suit you well ... You make no mention to how many computers you have on each side, but the server can only handle so many connections (limitation of a single NIC) For a lot of money you have this option: http://shop.wirelessguys.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.526/it.A/id.2883/.f Gbps for 1- 4 miles... For less money you have this option: http://shop.wirelessguys.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.535/it.A/id.2881/.f 150Mbps ... Or for some good, carrier grade 48Mbps MAX (T...

Using Netbeui for wireless LAN?
I have a working cabled home LAN using NetBEUI which I used because I could never get the other protocols to work for it. Now I am trying to set up a wireless 802.11b LAN for the same 2 computers and again am unsuccessful \using the standard protocols. Since NetBEUI works fine for me and for my purposes in the cabled LAN can I also use it for the wireless too so I can finally get it to work? I have no need to share a broadband internet connection. Thanks. -- Jeff McPherson Email address deliberately false to avoid spam jeff@falsepart.com Outgoing mail is certified Virus ...