Using wireless

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
WiFi sniffer program.

I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."

What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.

When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
can't find it....

Any information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Scott

0
Reply Robert 3/17/2005 1:39:03 AM

See related articles to this posting

"Robert Scott" <desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote in message
><SNIP>
> It also says to make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on.  If
> I have a wireless switch, I can't find it....

I think I did just find it!  It appears that depressing the "Fn" and "F1"
keys turns the wireless on and off.  I'll have to go back to my friend's
house....   :-)

Take it easy,
Bob

0
Reply Robert 3/17/2005 1:57:42 AM

1) Check to make sure the wireless device has the proper drivers
installed, under Settings ->Control Panel -> System -> Hardware ->
Device Manager -> Network Adapters
	 -Check here to make sure the drivers are current, and there
are no conflicts, and there are no 'Question Marks'.  It should say
your device has no conflicts, and is working properly.

2) Be sure the Wireless Zero Service is on Automatic, and is started.
	RMB 'My Computer' -> Manage -> Services and Applications ->
Services -> Wireless Zero Configuration.
	-Stumbler will stop this service to scan WAP's.  Enable this
service.
3) Is there a button or keyboard hot key to enable the wireless
device??  There usually is on laptops with built in wireless.
4) Is the wireless router working?? Connect to the router with a wire,
check the configuration of the WAP.  Even if there is a WEP key,
Stumbler should have picked up the WAP.
5) Is the wireless mini-PCI card properly seated and mounted in the
laptop?? Turn it over, undo the cover and check.  Also, I think there
are some contacts for the antenna which run from the mini-PCI slot
around the LCD.  Be sure the contacts are in the right place.

Good Luck.
samurai.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:39:03 GMT, "Robert  Scott"
<desmobob@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I have a new Medion MD95154 I purchased last month.  It has on-board
>wireless...  a Prism 802.11g wireless adapter shows as "installed" on the
>system information page.  I also installed a copy of "Network Stumbler," a
>WiFi sniffer program.
>
>I was just at a friend's house where a wireless router was set up for their
>kids' laptop use.  When I turned on my notebook, it did not find the signal.
>When I started "Network Stumbler," it also reported "no APS active."
>
>What do I need to do to activate the wireless feature of my notebook?  I
>don't know anything about this subject.  I googled and read, and from what I
>could find, it seems that everything is pretty much automatic; the notebook
>will check for a WiFi connection when it starts up.
>
>When I right-click the wireless network connection icon in the tray, it says
>"no wireless neworks were found in range."  It also says to make sure the
>wireless switch on your computer is on.  If I have a wireless switch, I
>can't find it....
>
>Any information or guidance would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Scott

0
Reply samurai 3/17/2005 8:43:16 AM
comp.laptops 2874 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. Last I saw was expensive but good reports. but whats wrong with the Palm WiFi card? $100 and your on your way. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041048088400%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I&#...

Has anyone used, or is using, the Wireless LAN Portfolio from Enfora?
I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. -- Deja Moo: I've seen this bullshit before. My address has been anti-spammed. Please reply to: scasse@invalid.net replacing invalid with sonic. "Otto Pylot" <otto@bogus.address.invalid> wrote in message news:231220041043593447%otto@bogus.address.invalid... > I think there's a Zire72 in my Chirstmas stocking so I'd like see if > anyone has used the Enfora and what the pros/cons are. Thanks. > I haven&...

Networking using Wireless DSL connection and Wireless Router
I have several computers currently connect through a 3com OfficeConnect 8 port hub. I have internet access through a wireless DSL provider that connects to the main computer via a USB port. This is the only option for high speed internet access in my area. I am trying to connect this main internet computer to the other computers in the LAN so that each can access the internet. I have purchased a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Access Point/ Router and I would think that there would be a way to connect them all together and use the internet on each. I have a 3com PCI NIC in the main comp...

the wireless receiver to use wireless xbox 360 controller with PC
I got one of these little wireless receiver devices so I could use my wireless xbox 360 controller with my PC (I just bought Gears of War for the PC). How can I make the wireless connection between my controller and the PC without also turning on the xbox 360 console? I didn't see a way, so I unplugged the power cord of the xbox 360. I don't want to have to unplug it every time I want to use my wireless xbox controller with the PC. I'm doing the same thing with a wireless PS2 controller. I don't see how you can get past having to power down the console .. esp if the console i...

adding wireless 802.11b to Palm using USB-wireless?
Does any of you know if it is be possible to add 802.11b wireless connectivity to a Palm device that has a USB port, using one of those handy 802.11b USB-to-wireless devices? It seems to me that it should be mainly an issue of software, assuming that the USB-to-wireless device runs off of batteries. Drivers are the big issue but there also may be a power issue too. Many of the USB devices get power from the USB port. I do not know if the Palm USB port is capable of delivering adequate power from that port. TC "flarkblark" <plinius@mail.com> wrote in message news:ba7436c4.03...

Using Linksys wireless router for internet connection, can I use it to network computers?
Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network the computers (for printer/file sharing?) I look in network neighborhood and I dont see the other computers, and this doesnt seem to be covered in the maual. thanks entity@ziplip.com (Entity) wrote in message news:<c2bc2de2.0306280741.7f650bdb@posting.google.com>... > Hi, I have 2 desktops and one laptop connected to a linksys router for > dsl internet connection and it works great. Can i use it to network > the computers (for printe...

anyone got a wireless pc running using linux?, what wireless usb nic IS supported ? f--k
I can get on the net using dhcp with knoppix 5.1 but debian 3.0r1 nor ubuntu 5.04 nor archlinux 7.1 can get my hawking hwu54g wireless usb nic going? zd1211 driver from lsusb anyone got a wireless pc running using linux? On 2006-08-31, gavino wrote: > I can get on the net using dhcp with knoppix 5.1 but debian 3.0r1 nor > ubuntu 5.04 nor archlinux 7.1 can get my hawking hwu54g wireless usb > nic going? Is this a question..., or just random babbling? > zd1211 driver from lsusp right on > anyone got a wireless pc running using linux? Yes, several. -- "Ubuntu" -...

Using a wireless card
hey folks..... Please clear one more doubt of mine. This might sound naive. I havent used laptops much.... I have a friend of mine who has a laptop with a slot with an ethernet card. She has wireless internet connection in their home. She wants to use internet on her computer. I suggested her to buy a wireless card and replace the ethernet card with the wireless card. I just want to make sure whether replacing an ethernet card on the laptop with wireless card would help getting internet. thanx Shaun. oneders wrote: > hey folks..... > Please clear one more doubt of mi...

What Type of Wireless Should I Use?
My company has two locations, 0.92km apart as per Google earth. There is a direct line of sight. There are about equal number of computers in each site. Instead of using replication, we intend to keep everything on one server and link the sites together fast enough to become just a single LAN. Currently theres a 15mbit connection that is always saturated and can be troublesome ... from wavewireless. I suspect its just a power boosted 802.11b. I'm hoping for a gigabit connection using directional antennaes. I've looked into Wimax and D-link's 802.11n products. Dlink d...