White keyboard???

I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
in the dark.

I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.

Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?

Can keycaps be purchased to replace the existing ones?

I have a Dell Inspiron, but need to upgrade and I'm putting off buying
another until it meets this feature.

What were the Kreatives thinking?!!

Andy

0
Andy
8/29/2004 7:28:26 PM
comp.laptops 2878 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

"Andy" <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're
> worse
> in the dark.
>
> I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.
>
> Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?
>
> Can keycaps be purchased to replace the existing ones?
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron, but need to upgrade and I'm putting off buying
> another until it meets this feature.
>
> What were the Kreatives thinking?!!
>
> Andy

Macintosh.  There is also a USB-powered keyboard light that attaches to
the screen.

Quaoar
8/30/2004 12:56:58 AM
Andy <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in news:x5udnVoGt6HHs6_cRVn-ug@giganews.com:

> I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
> in the dark.
>
> I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.
>
> Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?

<SNIP>

Fujitsu N3010 - add a Kensington USB Flylight and even us old guys can see!

--
matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com

Pull my finger . . . thanks!
> Andy <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in news:x5udnVoGt6HHs6_cRVn-ug@giganews.com:
> > I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> > black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
> > in the dark. I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.

I take it that the way you use your laptop, a regular white external
keyboard wouldn't work?

> > Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?
> > What were the Kreatives thinking?!!

Thinking?  You give them too much credit.  More like "follow the
trend."

"IBM makes black laptops, so our laptops must be black to compete
effectively"
or some such nonsense.  If you look at old laptops (talking
pre-pentium here), you'll find that many are in fact white/putty.

And of course, as Q pointed out, there's always an Apple product :-)
0
alordofchaos
8/31/2004 9:07:29 PM
alordofchaos@yahoo.com (Anonymous Jack) wrote in

alordofchaos,

> I take it that the way you use your laptop, a regular white external
> keyboard wouldn't work?

Not really. That would make computing while commuting a hassle, as well
as computing while in the comfort of the laz-y-boy. I do use a usb mouse
on the TV tray.

> And of course, as Q pointed out, there's always an Apple product :-)

I have an old G4 tower but when OS/X came out, I cross-licensed all my
software over to Windows. Not to create a debate--I still have my orignal
512K Mac from 1985.

The old Dell Inspiron 8000 sends out s-video, dolby 5.1 and a virtual
desktops to the home theater. It's a nice small footprint interface.
Here's a jpg:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/foxcat/bigtenfoot.jpg

The keyboard is a big pain in the neck although I can still blind type
pretty fast.

Take it easy,

Andy
0