White keyboard???

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
in the dark.

I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.

Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?

Can keycaps be purchased to replace the existing ones?

I have a Dell Inspiron, but need to upgrade and I'm putting off buying
another until it meets this feature.

What were the Kreatives thinking?!!

Andy

0
Reply Andy 8/29/2004 7:28:26 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Andy" <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're
> worse
> in the dark.
>
> I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.
>
> Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?
>
> Can keycaps be purchased to replace the existing ones?
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron, but need to upgrade and I'm putting off buying
> another until it meets this feature.
>
> What were the Kreatives thinking?!!
>
> Andy

Macintosh.  There is also a USB-powered keyboard light that attaches to
the screen.

Reply Quaoar 8/30/2004 12:56:58 AM

Andy <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in news:x5udnVoGt6HHs6_cRVn-ug@giganews.com:

> I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
> in the dark.
>
> I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.
>
> Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?

<SNIP>

Fujitsu N3010 - add a Kensington USB Flylight and even us old guys can see!

--
matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com

Pull my finger . . . thanks!
0
Reply M 8/30/2004 9:02:12 PM

> Andy <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in news:x5udnVoGt6HHs6_cRVn-ug@giganews.com:
> > I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> > black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
> > in the dark. I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.

I take it that the way you use your laptop, a regular white external
keyboard wouldn't work?

> > Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?
> > What were the Kreatives thinking?!!

Thinking?  You give them too much credit.  More like "follow the
trend."

"IBM makes black laptops, so our laptops must be black to compete
effectively"
or some such nonsense.  If you look at old laptops (talking
pre-pentium here), you'll find that many are in fact white/putty.

And of course, as Q pointed out, there's always an Apple product :-)
0
Reply alordofchaos 8/31/2004 9:07:29 PM

alordofchaos@yahoo.com (Anonymous Jack) wrote in

alordofchaos,

> I take it that the way you use your laptop, a regular white external
> keyboard wouldn't work?

Not really. That would make computing while commuting a hassle, as well
as computing while in the comfort of the laz-y-boy. I do use a usb mouse
on the TV tray.

> And of course, as Q pointed out, there's always an Apple product :-)

I have an old G4 tower but when OS/X came out, I cross-licensed all my
software over to Windows. Not to create a debate--I still have my orignal
512K Mac from 1985.

The old Dell Inspiron 8000 sends out s-video, dolby 5.1 and a virtual
desktops to the home theater. It's a nice small footprint interface.
Here's a jpg:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/foxcat/bigtenfoot.jpg

The keyboard is a big pain in the neck although I can still blind type
pretty fast.

Take it easy,

Andy
0
Reply Andy 8/31/2004 11:07:45 PM
comp.laptops 2876 articles. 5 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Apple Wireless Keyboard vs white Apple Pro Keyboard
I am currently typing on the Pro model. For some reason, and I don't know if there is any truth to it or if it's just a "placebo" affect, but thus far I have found that Apple slightly improved the feel of their pro keyboards when they switched the keys from black to white, as if more than just the color changed. I have always been picky about how a keyboard feels. Is there any difference to how it feels to type on one of the new wireless models, assuming any of you have yet had the opportunity to check one out? Thanks, -Will ...

White keyboard on new MacBooks?
Hey all I just wondering if nayone knows why Apple did put a white keyboard on the new MacBooks. It would nicely match the keyboard on their newest keybards. M.M. In article <541409cc-bace-4a92-863b-1f028d86b7e9@r36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, mackmin@fastmail.fm wrote: > I just wondering if nayone knows why Apple did put a white keyboard on > the new MacBooks. It would nicely match the keyboard on their newest > keybards. My guess would be the backlight. Backlighting black on a white face is extremely hard to see. Palm did the reverse backlighting with the Palm V, and i...

F16 key on Apple USB Keyboard (white)
I just bought the new Apple USB keyboard (white) and it has an F16 key! That's great, except the Keyboard Control panel only lets me assign keys F1 - F15. Does anyone know of a patch or update to the Keyboard Control Panel that will let me assign key F16? Thanks! Aaron Gobler wrote: > > I just bought the new Apple USB keyboard (white) and it has an F16 > key! See if it ejects the primary optical drive. George Williams <nyar1ath0tep@mac.com> wrote in message news:<3F85D32F.230A65EC@mac.com>... > Aaron Gobler wrote: > > > > I just bought the new A...

bootable white box cd freezes keyboard
I installed whitebox 3.0 from a set of 3 bootable cdroms onto a 5Gb drive without problems. The machine booted from the hard disk several times, without problems and I used linux to do stuff (surf, read docs, ...). Then I tried to add my windows xp 60Gb drive as a secondary drive and configure it in grub.conf. Added: title Windows XP root (hd1,0) chainloader +1 When I rebooted, I selected linux and had no problems. Then I rebooted again and chose XP. Didn't work and I got an error message "missing io.sys". Disconnected XP disk and tried to boot linux hard disk ag...

FS: Apple White ENGLISH wireless bluetooth keyboard
Hi all, Trying to sell some unneeded equipment. This keyboard has been on for 2 days and still at 0.99$ start bid. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120312149708 Apple Wireless White/Clear Keyboard Model: A1016 Condition: Gently used, still in good condition. Used with iMac Mini also on ebay auction Description: The 109-key Apple Keyboard features full-size cursor keys perfect for zipping up, down and sideways in a game or on a spreadsheet. Special keys provide immediate access to the system audio level (volume up, down, mute) as well as...

For Trade: Apple Pro Keyboard w/White Keys for One with Black
Hello, I've recently bought an Apple G4 tower. It came with one of the Apple pro keyboards with white keys. But I have two 17 inch LCD monitors with black frames, black speakers, and a dark graphite logitech trackball. So basically, my desktop would look better with a pro keyboard with the older style black keys. If anyone would like to swap my white keyboard + optical mouse for your black keyboard + mouse, let me know by emailing me at: Applemac_g4@hotmail.com Thanks. (I'm interested in trading for the full size Apple pro keyboard that shipped with Quicksilve...

FA on eBay: Apple iMac G3 400 MHZ Blue White w/ Keyboard & Mouse
Hi, I am auctioning off an Apple iMac on eBay. The auction ends on October 16, 2005. It features: =B7 OS 10.2 - Tiger =B7 400 MHz PowerPC 750 G3 processor =B7 9.5 GB Hard Drive =B7 Slot Loading CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive =B7 USB Keyboard & Mouse =B7 14" Monitor Please note there are no manuals or system discs included with this computer. Click on the link below for more info and photo. Thanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3D5817442493 ...

FA on eBay: White/Clear USB Pro Keyboard & Mouse - iSight Camera - External Floppy
Hi, I am auctioning off several Mac Hardware items as well as some other misc computer items. The Mac items end Sunday, August 7, 2005. Click on the links below for more info. Thanks. Apple iSight WebCam - Used only once since being opened: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=522524953 Apple Pro USB Clear/White Keyboard Model M7803 + Mouse: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5225253651 Macally USB SLIM EXTERNAL FLOPPY DRIVE for PC or MAC - Like New: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5225262893 ****MISC COMPUTER ITEMS*** HP...

FA on eBay: White/Clear USB Pro Keyboard & Mouse - iSight Camera - External Floppy
Hi, I am auctioning off several Mac Hardware items as well as some other misc computer items. The Mac items end Sunday, August 7, 2005. Click on the links below for more info. Thanks. Apple iSight WebCam - Used only once since being opened: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=522524953 Apple Pro USB Clear/White Keyboard Model M7803 + Mouse: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5225253651 Macally USB SLIM EXTERNAL FLOPPY DRIVE for PC or MAC - Like New: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5225262893 ****MISC COMPUTER ITEMS*** HP...

White on White
Hi All, I am using XFce (xfce-4.1.99.1-rpm-rh9.tar.bz2) as my GUI. I like to use the following options in my xterms: xfterm4 -gb blue -bg white Sometime I also use "darkgreen", "darkred" and "black" for my foreground -- it helps me tell windows apart. Problem: manual pages (man xxx) like to show some of the highlighted lettering in white. "minicom" does the same thing on me. :'( As white on white is invisible (-gb white -bg white), does anyone know of a way to keep "man", "minicom&quo...

White on white font
Hi, I'm having a weird problem with Mathematica 6. Suddenly, the text in notebooks is unreadable, it appears as white on white. See http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~goerz/download/mathematica.png. The same effect is also in the preferences (Appearance) The text there is white as well: http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~goerz/download/mathematica.png. Any way to solve this problem? I'm not aware of any specific change having caused this problem, as I don't start mathematica that regularly, but in case it has to do something with the the video settings, here's my...

MT_Newswatcher displays black-and-white images as white-on-white
For years I have put up with the above-mentioned quirk. Full-color images display properly. At various times I've tried to fix it by deleting preference files or reinstalling the application. Needles to say, nothing has worked. I know the images are there - if I select them and then double-click, it creates a file on y desktop and then launches Preview, which displays the image properly. Do that 100 times and it gets messy... Any hints or ideas out there? TIA Mike In article <mbreslau-2A7E63.10460705072009@news.speakeasy.net>, Michael Breslau <mbreslau@speakeasy.org> ...

keyboards and keyboard switching
Hi. Using a Macintosh, it's easy to enable a Hebrew QWERTY keyboard and to switch back and forth between the standard U.S. keyboard and the Hebrew QWERTY keyboard. How would one do this on a Linux box running Gnome? Thanks. -- Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l++ u+ P++ e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t+ r- Net: agw@dsm.fordham.edu http://www.dsm.fordham.edu/~agw Phone: Fordham U. (212) 636-6325, Columbia U. (212) 939-7060 On 2009-04-30, Art Werschulz <agw@dsm.fordham.edu> wrote: > Hi. > ...

white patches ankles white patches on tonsils white raised patches skin white patches on skin
What is Vitiligo? Vitiligo is another term employed for Lucoderma. It is an auto immune chronicle skin disorder believed to be genetical in nature. How is it caused? Merely 2% of the total global population suffers from Vitiligo, which may be caused by varied factors, these can be both genetic and non genetic in nature. The basic cause behind the Vitiligo disease is the destruction of melanocytes of Vitiligo patients; at a particular region which is subjected to hypo pigmentation or no pigmentation at all. There is however different theories put forth for this disease some of them a...

white patches ankles white patches on tonsils white raised patches skin white patches on skin #2
vitiligolife vitiligolife vitiligolife vitiligo life vitiligolife What is Vitiligo? vitiligolife Vitiligo is another term employed for Lucoderma. It is an auto immune chronicle skin disorder believed to be genetical in nature. How is it caused? Merely 2% of the total global population suffers from Vitiligo, which may be caused by varied factors, these can be both genetic and non genetic in nature. The basic cause behind the Vitiligo disease is the destruction of melanocytes of Vitiligo patients; at a particular region which is subjected to hypo pigmentation or no pigmentation at a...

black to white and white to black
Dears I wanted to change the white color of my image to black and black color of my image to white. Is there any way that we can do? regards toja Hi, try one of these : img=1-img or img=~img or img=255-img J�r�me ...

Midnight Commander white-on-white
Hi, does anyone know what I should see when Midnight Commander sends escape-sequence ESC[97mESC[107m ? I would think it means bright white on bright white, but perhaps I'm wrong. To test this, use terminal-type rxvt-256color, start with "mc -b", select a few lines, and move the current-line up and down. NORMAL LINE INVERTED LINE1 (CURRENT LINE: WHITE ON WHITE) INVERTED LINE3 NORMAL LINE ...

Keyboard safety with the palm keyboard?
My wrists ache after even a litttle typing with the palm keyboard. I'm looking at keyboard safety documents on the web to pluck and read. What is your experience on this to save me the pain (literally) of trial and error on my wrists? <casioculture@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1144487947.407091.23520@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > > My wrists ache after even a litttle typing with the palm keyboard. I'm > looking at keyboard safety documents on the web to pluck and read. What > is your experience on this to save me the pain (literally) of ...

keyboard
Hi, I'm trying to change keyboard. I read the documentation and docs.sun but when I reboot - I have still my old settings. Where can I change default keyboard ? Thanks in advance ...

keyboard
Does anybody about the return rates because of the keyboard Is it already 50% So much for the "cheap" Chinese keyboard HP reputation seems to go down the toilet Unless a brand new calculator is announced with "dome" keys I'm out of HP business in Finland and globe I want some kind of an answer Cyrille? Is HOQ doing anything at all! Why doesn't Fred Flintstone speak for the company?! Why is HPQ not admitting they have a _serious_ problem with the kb ??? Why HP why?! "Fr�re-Pierre" <DROP_vpn@dlc.fi> wrote in message news:pIGPf.614$PK.534@reader...

keyboard
I have a Swedish keyboard with our special characters. I use an SSH connection to our Linux cluster. I would much prefer to use an international keyboard there. Can I change some environmental variable to achieve that? Thanks in advance. Regards, H�kan Lane (Remove NO,SPAM and PLEASE for private email) H�kan Lane <Hakan.NOLane@SPAMsem.PLEASEchalmers.se> writes: > I have a Swedish keyboard with our special characters. I use an SSH > connection to our Linux cluster. I would much prefer to use an > international keyboard there. > > Can I change some environmental varia...

keyboard
Hello, how can i implement the following pseudocode in matlab ?? for i = n:m ... if A+B keys are pressed on the keyboard break; end end Thanks ! A Ram wrote: > how can i implement the following pseudocode in matlab ?? > > for i = n:m > ... > > if A+B keys are pressed on the keyboard > break; > end > > end That isn't possible to determine within Matlab itself. It might perhaps be possible using a MEX file coded to be specific to your operating system, and if you are using MS Windows you -might- be able to find a COM object that could do it....

Keyboard
I have had two PowerBooks. I hated the keyboards on both. I bought a full size keyboard, but I notice that it skips over the same letters, (it seems to me, they are the same ones on the PowerBook keyboard) but not quite as badly as the PowerBook keyboard, itself. Is it possible to buy a better keyboard for the PowerBook (by itself) or is there an adjustment besides the control panel as far as touch (I have that set as Key Repeat-Fast and Delay Until Repeat-Short. I'm not the best typist in the world, but I am amazed at how many caps I miss and _I know I've held the ...

keyboard
Bonjour, is it possible in APL to get the info about any key: if i touch it or stop to touch it? thanks, Ludmila Lemagnen lemagnen@aol.com wrote: > Bonjour, > is it possible in APL to get the info about any key: if i touch it or > stop to touch it? > thanks, Ludmila Lemagnen > You didn't say what APL and I assume you mean "press it" but in APL2, IIRC, you can do so using the features of AP124. Ted ...