White keyboard???

I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
in the dark.

I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.

Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?

Can keycaps be purchased to replace the existing ones?

I have a Dell Inspiron, but need to upgrade and I'm putting off buying
another until it meets this feature.

What were the Kreatives thinking?!!

Andy

0
Andy
8/29/2004 7:28:26 PM
comp.laptops 2877 articles. 0 followers. bluewatercorvette (11) is leader. Post Follow

"Andy" <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're
> worse
> in the dark.
>
> I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.
>
> Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?
>
> Can keycaps be purchased to replace the existing ones?
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron, but need to upgrade and I'm putting off buying
> another until it meets this feature.
>
> What were the Kreatives thinking?!!
>
> Andy

Macintosh.  There is also a USB-powered keyboard light that attaches to
the screen.

Quaoar
8/30/2004 12:56:58 AM
Andy <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in news:x5udnVoGt6HHs6_cRVn-ug@giganews.com:

> I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
> in the dark.
>
> I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.
>
> Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?

<SNIP>

Fujitsu N3010 - add a Kensington USB Flylight and even us old guys can see!

--
matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com

Pull my finger . . . thanks!
> Andy <nospm@nowhere.com> wrote in news:x5udnVoGt6HHs6_cRVn-ug@giganews.com:
> > I'm sick and tired of black keys with white letters. Not only are the
> > black keys with white lettering hard to see in the light, they're worse
> > in the dark. I'd take a backlit keyboard but that sucks up battery life.

I take it that the way you use your laptop, a regular white external
keyboard wouldn't work?

> > Who makes a laptop with regular white keys with black lettering?
> > What were the Kreatives thinking?!!

Thinking?  You give them too much credit.  More like "follow the
trend."

"IBM makes black laptops, so our laptops must be black to compete
effectively"
or some such nonsense.  If you look at old laptops (talking
pre-pentium here), you'll find that many are in fact white/putty.

And of course, as Q pointed out, there's always an Apple product :-)
0
alordofchaos
8/31/2004 9:07:29 PM
alordofchaos@yahoo.com (Anonymous Jack) wrote in

alordofchaos,

> I take it that the way you use your laptop, a regular white external
> keyboard wouldn't work?

Not really. That would make computing while commuting a hassle, as well
as computing while in the comfort of the laz-y-boy. I do use a usb mouse
on the TV tray.

> And of course, as Q pointed out, there's always an Apple product :-)

I have an old G4 tower but when OS/X came out, I cross-licensed all my
software over to Windows. Not to create a debate--I still have my orignal
512K Mac from 1985.

The old Dell Inspiron 8000 sends out s-video, dolby 5.1 and a virtual
desktops to the home theater. It's a nice small footprint interface.
Here's a jpg:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/foxcat/bigtenfoot.jpg

The keyboard is a big pain in the neck although I can still blind type
pretty fast.

Take it easy,

Andy
0
Andy

Keyboard buffer filled up.
Hi, I have a SPARC 20 which has a keyboard+monitor attached. Something got rested on the keyboard by mistake. The keyboard (or is it the SS20 ??) was making a lot of bleeping sounds. The SS20 is running a web server, and the web server is still functioning fine, but I can't login to the machine from the console, as I suspect a buffer has been filled up. There are lots of characters on the screen. Can one process be killed (and if so which) that will enable a login prompt back? I know I could just reboot the machine, but mainly for interest sake, I'd like to know if there is another s...

Eliminate white border around DensityPlot?
I want to combine multiple frameless (i.e., Frame->False) DensityPlots in a GraphicsArray with no gap or white space between individual plots, and with certain features in the individual plots lining up where the plots meet. Using GraphicsSpacing->{0,0} doesn't do it; the individual density plots seem to have a white border around them. GraphicsSpacing->{-0.1,0.1} comes close to what I want, but with some odd features. Any way to eliminate the white border? [I know about the alternative way to combine graphics using Show[Graphics{Rectangle[-],...}]], but ha...

A Little Help for a newbie
I'd like to know if anyone knows of a kernel patch for Fedora Core 2 linux that will detect the <scroll lock> key depress. Many newer KVM switches use the <scroll lock> key as a soft switch. Thank you in advance for your mercy. On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:17:07 GMT, <Gregor@kafka.edu> staggered into the Black Sun and said: > I'd like to know if anyone knows of a kernel patch for Fedora Core 2 > linux that will detect the <scroll lock> key depress. What is it that you want to do? What have you tried? What error messages did you receive when you tried what...

white lines
After about 10 days idle, getting white lines through black text; not all lines. S520. I think I cured that on other printers by cleaning nozzles; maybe not. Cleaned nozzles 3 times, and no change. Clues? ...

Brother HL-1440 Horizontal White Streaks
Whenever I print something out, I get thin horizontal lines (across the paper path) without toner - part of a line of text just doesn't appear. There's plenty of toner, and I'm still on the original drum, total prints about 8500. Happens even when I print a test page. I've taken out the toner and drum, separated and inspected both. No apparent damage to the drum surface. I've always used good paper - 20 lb. Anybody have any ideas? Considering that you can buy a new one for $100, is this even worth buy parts for? Isn't a drum more than that? Than...

[wxMSW 2.4.1 Windows XP]wxCheckBox keyboard events
Hi, I've been moving an old wx application that was developed using the 2.2.7 library over to the 2.4.1 library so I can get the Windows XP look and feel. I seem to have come acrross a problem that I cannot sole. I have my own control derived from wxCheckBox because I want to catch key strokes and perform speific operation (i.e Y checks N unchecks) in 2.2.7 I was using the EVT_CHAR() macro to catch teh event and process. However since moving to 2.4.1 I no longer get this event, nor EVT_KEY_DOWN() or EVT_KEY_UP() In fact I only seem to get EVT_CLICK() and if the navigation ...

Does perfect white noise really exist?
A simple question: Based on the classical definition of "White Noise" (a random process which has zero autocorrelation, and a purely flat PSD from -INF to +INF), measurement of white noise to determine these properties (rxx, PSD, mean, variance, skewness and kurtosis) poses a paradox: When we measure "pure white noise", we ise a band-limited measuring device (such as a spectrum analyzer), whose pass band is obviously less than the infinite bandwidth of the pure white noise. Upon measurement, the measuring device LPFs the noise to pink noise, which in turn introduces correl...

usb3 and keyboard/mouse & SATA3 DVD question
Hi All, I am putting together (still in the specification phase) a Fedora Core 20 workstation for my business. May I mooch some questions? 1) On Windows workstations, you don't dare put your keyboard and mouse into a USB3 slot, even though the BIOS can use it, Windows installer can not, and after installed, Windows can not see USB3 ports until you install the drivers. (Makes for fun trying to put your password in before the USB 3 driver is loaded.) Does Fedora Core 20 have this problem? Any problem with the installer or finished product putting the keyboard and mouse...

Hot Keyboard Pro 3.3
Hot Keyboard is an automation utility. It provides the power of keyboard macros and advanced schedulers to every computer user. Use keyboard shortcuts to paste text, record/playback keystrokes, open applications and documents, launch web bookmarks and more. Combine macros and assign macros to execute at a specific time. Hot Keyboard is a reliable and fast. It runs in the background without unnecessary popups. More Info: http://www.hot-keyboard.com Download URL: http://www.hot-keyboard.com/files/hkpro.exe Screenshot URL: http://www.hot-keyboard.com/images/scrsht3.gif Order Page: htt...

problems with IDE on Blue White
Hi, I've got linux on a pb5300, G3-266, but the Blue & White gives me problems. Since I guess I have one of those first motherboards where the second ide (Ultra ATA) doesn't work well, I try to install cdrom as well as 40Gb disc on the first ide. The jumper settings that work best for OS9 are (I can boot from cdrom AND hd) Disk: CS (carrier select) +Master cdrom: Slave When trying to boot from linux cdrom, I get into Open Firmware 3.1.1 and it says "default catch". The system freezes. Here OS 9 works well, no problem. I have tried another setting, where the cdro...

SX-64 Keyboard Cable #2
I'm willing to pay a premium for a working original SX-64 keyboard cable. The replacement cables are nice, but they make the SX look like HP lab equipment. If you've got one to sell, let's talk. Joe Cassara ...

detecting keyboard button press
on my keyboard i have 3 small butttons (for power management , ie sleep mode etc) which are not used in my system, how can i detect if these buttons are pressed from software? ...

What are the keyboard types from Quartz event services?
I am using the EventTap API in Quartz Event Services. Is there a list somewhere of the possible keyboard types (the kCGKeyboardEventKeyboardType field of an event)? By experimenting, I have discovered the following types: 37 MacBook 202 PowerBook G4 40 External PC-style USB keyboard 46 External Apple USB keyboard I need this because I wrote a program that modifies events so as to swap Command and Option when the event comes from a keyboard of appropriate type. For now, the program recognizes keyboard type 40, but perhaps there are other numbers representing other PC-style keyboards? I...

AutoTrim White Space Around the Figure
Hello! I wonder if there is a way to remove all the white space around the visible part of the figure - the above the title and to the left and the right of the figure axes and below the x axis??? Thanks! Dima ...

Color.white vs. Color.WHITE
Way back some AWT colors was predefined as Color.white etc. Then SUN realized this apparent naming style violation and added Color.WHITE etc. As a client application developer I must now choose between the non-standard (and possibly soon-to-be-deprecated) Color.white and the not-backwards-compatible Color.WHITE. I've ended up with new Color (255, 255, 255) instead. Which proves that improvements doesn't always bring the (computing) world forward :-) > Way back some AWT colors was predefined as Color.white etc. > > Then SUN realized this apparent naming style violation ...

Is my Apple wireless keyboard's battery life inaccurate?
Hello. On my Mac mini (mid-2011) at work, I use a small Apple wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard (no keypad). For several weeks, its upgraded Mac OS X 10.9.5 (all and since 10.7.5) has been showing my battery life going down until 1% (14% was the warning one that alerted me, but I didn't change the battery yet). It has been stuck at 1% for several weeks so far and the keyboard still works fine. It seems like the battery power is inaccurate? Is there a way to get an accurate reading? I'll change its battery once the keyboard starts acting weird/odd. ;) Thank you in advanc...

No keyboard into in JTextArea in JApplet
I have observed a consistent problem with applets not accepting keyboard input. This manifests itself when I put a JTextArea into a JInternalFrame in an applet. The applet will work perfectly with appletviewer, but when it is brought up in any of the Mozilla-based web-browsers --- Firefox (Linux), Epiphany (Linux), Mozilla (Linux) --- the applet fails to process any keyboard inputs. :( I have seen this occur when I visit some websites that try to run a Java-based chat program --- and it certainly is happening in my Applets. How are others making this work with JApplets? I am running Firef...

exporting to png in black and white
Hi, how do I export a figure in png format in black and white. I am using a colourmap which converts well into black and white and have tried selecting the option 'convert lines to black and white' without sucess - this seems to change all the colors on the figure into black. James ...

[Glossary Package] \newacronym creates white space. Why?
Hi, the following is my code, as simple as possible: \documentclass[ ngerman, a4paper, oneside, ]{scrbook} % --------------------------------------------- \usepackage{hyperref} \usepackage[ toc=true, number=none, header=plain, acronym=true, global=true ]{glossary} %%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Begin %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% \makeacronym \begin{document} Definition 1: \newacronym[oo]{OO}{Open Office}{name=OO, description=Open Office description} \oo followed by some text. Definition 2: \newacronym{HTTP}{Hyper-Text Transfer Protokoll} {name=HTTP, description=Hyper-Text Transfer Protokoll} \HTTP is...

White lines on top of of the screen
I'm using a Philips 105S monitor, a 15'' CRT. I've been using it daily for about 4 years. Recently it gives me a problem. After it is turned on and used for about 10-15 minutes, white lines (not perfect lines, more like snow or something) appear on the upper part of the screen, they resemble screen corruption although it is possible to see through it and work on the computer. The width of the corrupted area is about an inch or maybe a little more. They don't go away except if I turn the monitor off, let some time (about 15 minutes) pass and turn it back on. I suspec...

Finding items on the desktop by keyboard
Hello, A couple of months ago I switched to OSX. I'm still learning about the operating system. However, there's one thing I still don't understand. I have a lot of items on my desktop. In Windows I was able to locate an item almost directly by clicking on the desktop and entering the first letter of the item. When I had a second item on my desktop that starts with the same letter, I just had to press the same key again: it jumped to the second item. In OSX, it doesn't work like that: sometimes it jumps to the second item but sometimes it doesn't jump. Can anyone clarify t...

Re: SAS editor reset keyboard language???
LOL. Cheers for the reply. It seems some maintenance work over the weekend has mixed things up. My monitor power cable was loose and a language bar is on that had incorrectly been set to US mode.. phew. On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:27:38 +0800, VORA Mihir <VORAM@ESSILOR.COM.SG> wrote: >How about trying to restart the SAS session and if the problem still persist >then restarting the OS. Lots of applications seem to be getting infected >with the MS style of working :P > >HTH, >Mihir Vora > >-----Original Message----- >From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UG...

White on White
Hi All, I am using XFce (xfce-4.1.99.1-rpm-rh9.tar.bz2) as my GUI. I like to use the following options in my xterms: xfterm4 -gb blue -bg white Sometime I also use "darkgreen", "darkred" and "black" for my foreground -- it helps me tell windows apart. Problem: manual pages (man xxx) like to show some of the highlighted lettering in white. "minicom" does the same thing on me. :'( As white on white is invisible (-gb white -bg white), does anyone know of a way to keep "man", "minicom&quo...

Opinion-Public Service: Belkin Wirless Keyboard and Mouse
As these news groups often help steer me in the right direction, I feel that I should contribute this message to help others avoid my mistakes. OPINION: DO NOT BE SWAYED BY THE CHEAP PRICE AND PURCHASE THE BELKIN WIRELESS KEYBOARD AND MOUSE COMBINATION. IT IS EXACTLY THAT - CHEAP. YOU WILL BURN TIME, MONEY, AND FRUSTRATION AND END UP THROWING THE MOUSE AWAY! I purchased, used, and was frustrated by incessant mouse tracking problems(like a permanent hair-ball stuck in the mouse-ball roller compartment). Called Belkin and asked if this was a recurring problem with this unit. They l...

Keyboard on 3197 unit?
I acquired a 3197 terminal unit; display and logic, but no keyboard. Can I mangle the connector on an AT keyboard and make it function, or do I need to invest in an actual keyboard? If so, how will I know what model of keyboard to get? Thanks!! ...