What tools should I choose to develop app/sys program in Linux OS?

Hello, Everybody,

I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs
in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will
use are ASM ,C and C++.

Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ?

Thanks in advance!

George.
2003-06-26

0
George
6/26/2003 3:49:42 PM
comp.linux.development.system 5436 articles. 0 followers. zixenus (12) is leader. Post Follow

In article <bdf4or$2its$1@mail.cn99.com>, George Zhang wrote:
> Hello, Everybody,
>
> I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs

Hint: Around here, "system" refers to the kernel.  If you're
doing kernel work, fine.  Otherwise, this isn't the right
newsgroup.

> in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will
> use are ASM ,C and C++.
>
> Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ?

For application work, I would choose Python rather than C or C++.

If you want to use C and C++, then...

  gcc
  make
  <a text editor>

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  My uncle Murray
                                  at               conquered Egypt in 53
After a long battle with technology,"George Zhang" <zhanglang75@citiz.net>, an earthling, wrote:
> Hello, Everybody,
>
> I am a newbie for Linux. I want to develop the application/system programs
> in Linux Os. And I am using the Red Hat 7.2 Linux.The languages that I will
> use are ASM ,C and C++.
>
> Pls tell me , what tool(or tools) should I choose ?

GCC, of course, along with GNU Make, and whatever text editor you
like.

The Linux OS is developed in C, using GCC, and proposals for changes
to that are strongly opposed.

In particular, the Kernel FAQ has a standard response to the usual C++
question...

  "Why don't we rewrite the Linux kernel in C++?"
  <http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s15-3>
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "aa454" "freenet.carleton.ca")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxkernel.html