Need Help Migrating Client From Windows To Mac OS X

After working with IBM for 13 years, I left to start me own (unrelated)
business.   In my business, I run (almost) exclusively Mac OS X and NO
Windows PCs.  With a lifetime of information accumulated on Notes while
I worked for IBM and I would still like to have access to it.

I archived/backuped up my entire Notes Data folder and have moved it to
the Documents/Lotus Docs/Notes/ folder on the Mac.

I ran the install on the Mac and everythings went well.  However, when
I launch Notes for the first time, there does not seem to be a way to
use my previous Windows configuration.

Can someone tell me how to get my previous Notes Desktop, with all the
databases, folders and connection preferences still intact.

I've deleted the Notes preference file several time and started "first"
launch each time, but I just can't seem to figure this out.

I can Switch to the previous ID not problem, but that does not bring
back my previous desktop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
  Gary

Gary wrote:
> After working with IBM for 13 years, I left to start me own (unrelated)
> business.   In my business, I run (almost) exclusively Mac OS X and NO
> Windows PCs.  With a lifetime of information accumulated on Notes while
> I worked for IBM and I would still like to have access to it.
>
> I archived/backuped up my entire Notes Data folder and have moved it to
> the Documents/Lotus Docs/Notes/ folder on the Mac.
>
> I ran the install on the Mac and everythings went well.  However, when
> I launch Notes for the first time, there does not seem to be a way to
> use my previous Windows configuration.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get my previous Notes Desktop, with all the
> databases, folders and connection preferences still intact.
>
> I've deleted the Notes preference file several time and started "first"
> launch each time, but I just can't seem to figure this out.
>
> I can Switch to the previous ID not problem, but that does not bring
> back my previous desktop.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

your desktop layout travels in a bunch of .DSK files, not in the ID
file. Local files like names.nsf and desktop.dsk are all in your notes
data directory and should persist if you copy that over to the mac.
There may be some compatibility issues based on really annoying Mac
differences - the directory path syntax on the mac is for directories to
be separated by a COLON not a (back)slash, for example - you may find
you have to edit some parts of the preferences or location docs to fit
in with this change.

Also, R5 and later don't especially make it easy to move everything
together; the "Welcome" pages have their own internal tracking of what's
where and may not take well to being moved from one machine to another.
If yu have anything less than about thirty databases, I'd just grind on
through opening them and setting them out again, if I were in your position!
0
Steve
2/21/2005 11:53:25 AM
In article <1108986774.17253.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net>, Steve
Cassidy <cassidy.atwork@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > After working with IBM for 13 years, I left to start me own (unrelated)
> > business.   In my business, I run (almost) exclusively Mac OS X and NO
> > Windows PCs.  With a lifetime of information accumulated on Notes while
> > I worked for IBM and I would still like to have access to it.
> >
> > I archived/backuped up my entire Notes Data folder and have moved it to
> > the Documents/Lotus Docs/Notes/ folder on the Mac.
> >
> > I ran the install on the Mac and everythings went well.  However, when
> > I launch Notes for the first time, there does not seem to be a way to
> > use my previous Windows configuration.
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to get my previous Notes Desktop, with all the
> > databases, folders and connection preferences still intact.
> >
> > I've deleted the Notes preference file several time and started "first"
> > launch each time, but I just can't seem to figure this out.
> >
> > I can Switch to the previous ID not problem, but that does not bring
> > back my previous desktop.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> your desktop layout travels in a bunch of .DSK files, not in the ID
> file. Local files like names.nsf and desktop.dsk are all in your notes
> data directory and should persist if you copy that over to the mac.
> There may be some compatibility issues based on really annoying Mac
> differences - the directory path syntax on the mac is for directories to
> be separated by a COLON not a (back)slash, for example - you may find
> you have to edit some parts of the preferences or location docs to fit
> in with this change.
>
> Also, R5 and later don't especially make it easy to move everything
> together; the "Welcome" pages have their own internal tracking of what's
> where and may not take well to being moved from one machine to another.
> If yu have anything less than about thirty databases, I'd just grind on
> through opening them and setting them out again, if I were in your position!

Thanks for the reply Steve.

Well, i was afraid that would be the answer.

I do have all the DSK files from the Windows setup, but I noticed the
desktop file for v6 uses the NDK suffix.

I did quite a bit of dev work in the PC environment at IBM, which
resulted in 11 tabs on the Workspace, and almost 100 databases
distributed throughout the tabs.

I just seem to remember that opening up an ID on the PC, in a
multi-user environment, would also load up the associated Workspace
with the ID.  It's been over 6 years, so my memory is a littel fuzzy on
the specifics.

I still have Notes running on the only, very old PC (P2-333) I am still
using, but v6.5 very sluggish.  Therefore the reason for migrating my
workspace to the Mac.  Even on a Dual 500, Notes v6.5.3 is so much
snappier, it makes me sorry I didn't do it sooner.

I tried to change to data folder location using the Browse button and
navigating to the data folder (so the path format SHOULD be correct),
but as soon as I close Notes, the path switches  back to the default
Application/Lotus Notes/Data folder.

Very frustrating!!

Which brings me to another problem. many of my dev databases have
lookup refs which are now completely out of sync - for the couple
database I have tested.

If there is some documentation on insuring compatibility between
platforms, a link to that would be greatly appreciated.

Since the client is free, I try to keep up on the tech, just in case I
would like to get some related work.  With Mac becoming more integrated
in the business force, if I can go in with a competent knowledge of the
issues, and possibly solutions to cross platform migration, I think it
would be considered an asset for a job application.

Since I do have over 30 databases to migrate, did you have another
suggestion.  I don't have a problem with a long, involved process as
that would probably give me considerable incite into the issues.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks
  Gary
Gary wrote:
> [...]
>
> Which brings me to another problem. many of my dev databases have
> lookup refs which are now completely out of sync - for the couple
> database I have tested.
>
> If there is some documentation on insuring compatibility between
> platforms, a link to that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Since the client is free, I try to keep up on the tech, just in case I
> would like to get some related work.  With Mac becoming more integrated
> in the business force, if I can go in with a competent knowledge of the
> issues, and possibly solutions to cross platform migration, I think it
> would be considered an asset for a job application.
>
> Since I do have over 30 databases to migrate, did you have another
> suggestion.  I don't have a problem with a long, involved process as
> that would probably give me considerable incite into the issues.
>
> Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

I confronted some guys at LotusSphere about some of the little "issues"
the Mac client has, and wasn't very impressed with the answers. Went to
the Apple specific BOAF session and walked out after it hadn't started
20 minutes late!

I've been putting up with the beta 6.5 on Mac and haven't bothered with
it much - I have the full release of 6.5.3 now and I agree, on PCs it
looks a bunch snappier. I suspect 6.5.3 has a load of recoding in it -
there's supposed to be strong reasons for upgrading your servers to
6.5.3 too.
0
Steve

Help needed : Mac OS X & OS 9.x and Windows-Server
Until now we are using different Mac's running OS 9.1 and 9.2 and save our files on a Windows 2000 Server via MacServerIP (AFP over IP). In the next time we like to upgrade to OS X. Our problem: Files saved on the Server from OS 9 via AFP will be recognized by OS X as "Document" without application information. I tried to connect the Server via SMB and otherwise via AFP. When I manually used AFP ("afp://<servername>") the volume becomes visible, but if I try to select on file the file will be go away. Next time I connect to the volume the file is visible again. U...

Help needed
Hi all, I am running OS X Panther on an iMac G5. I also have an iBook G3/300, which is running OS 9 as OS X overtaxes the machine. I use Outlook Express on the iBook, so I also use it on the G5 (in Classic mode) so that I can transfer the database between the computers and keep them both up-to-date. I can't seem to get Outlook Express to be the default email client on the G5. I change Explorer's preferences such that OE will be the helper for "mailto" links. I then click on a "mailto" link, and OS X Mail opens up. Lo and behold, the Explorer preference has be...

Need help with mac os x
I cannot figure out how to install the firmware for 9.2.1 on mac os x. When I boot from the 9.2.1 cd it says that the disc is locked which I imagine is referring to the cd. When I try to run it in mac os x it tries to start mac os 9.2.1. I really have no idea what to do so please help if you can. Thank you! In <GHE%a.2944$Wn1.642@news01.roc.ny> Kristopher White wrote: > I cannot figure out how to install the firmware for 9.2.1 on mac os x. > When I boot from the 9.2.1 cd it says that the disc is locked which I > imagine is referring to the cd. When I try to r...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

TCPSER With Mac OS x (Need Help :) )
Hi guys.. I am having a hell of a time trying to get TCPSER to work with Mac Os x. It also doesn't help that I am not to familiar with everything involved to I just keep confusing myself. :) I searched the threads and I came across a post be Jeff (Dr. Video) but it was back from 2005 and his email is no longer working. Anyways, any help would be appreciated in helping me set this up. Thanks in advance. Here is the original Message from Jeff: Ok, many people have already used Jim Brain's TCPSER/TCPSER4j and a Windows or Linux PC to provide modem emulation over Telnet for their Commodore machines. Today I got TCPSER4j working with Mac OS X on my Apple iBook. Here is how I did it... 1. HARDWARE You need 4 pieces of hardware to bridge RS232 over Telnet a) a Swiftlink or Turbo232 (or a userport interface, though I don't recommend this...just buy a Turbo232 from Maurice if you don't have one already) b) a serial cable WIRED STRAIGHT THROUGH! To avoid using gender benders, use one with FEMALE DB9 connectors at both ends. You MUST have a serial cable that does not jumper any of the pins together! c) A Radio Shack DB9 null adapter, part # 26-264B ** REMOVE PIN 6 FROM THE MALE SIDE OF THE ADAPTER! ** Just use a small screwdriver and gently wiggle the pin back and forth. After doing this about 50 times, the pin will fall off with a nice clean break at the base. It is necessary to d...

GNAT on Mac OS X, need some help
Hello, possibly this has been asked and discussed before but I can find older posts concerning this topic. Since 6 month I'm using a MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.6. Till now I've just installed a few multimedia programs but no development tools. Now I installed (or just unpacked) GNAT GPL 2010. As stated in the readme, I gave ./doinstall and got the error message: "The make command could not be found on your PATH. ..." gps runs and gnatmake starts to work, but I think the "installation" is not as required. So I think there are a lot prerequisites left out ...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Need help with first plugin for MAC OS X.
I am trying to develope a plugin for a realbasic application. My development platform is MAC OS X using X-Code... I downloaded the PluginSDK. Within that I found the Xcode Mach-O Template. I copied that folder to: /Library/Application Support/Apple/Developer Tools/Project Templates/ I start up X-Code and create a new project from the Xcode Mach-O Template. I copied two folders (Glue Code and Include) into the directory where I created the xcode project. I build the project and get three warnings.... I built the plugin converter with real basic and ran it. I'm a little...

Need help compiling xHarbour on Mac OS X
Hi all! After I have successfully compiled xHarbour on Linux and Windows I now tried to compile on Mac OS X, but get error: ../make_macosx.sh config/dir.cf:55: *** missing "endif". Stop. Can't find the reason what's wrong there. Regards Claudia install gnu make 3.81 down him ftp http://www.gnu.org Regards Luiz On 21 out, 19:26, Claudia <dr.claudia.neum...@gmx.de> wrote: > Hi all! > > After I have successfully compiled xHarbour on Linux and Windows I now tried > to compile on Mac OS X, but get error: > > ./make_macosx.sh > config/dir.cf:55: *...

Need help for wxMac compiling on Mac OS X
Hi, I am new in Mac OS X platforms and I am trying to compile wxWindows on an eMac G4 with Mac OS X v10.2.4 I installed the developement tool kit from Apple and the compilator is gcc 3.3. wxWindows is 2.4.1 1- Unfortunately, during the compilation of wxWindows I get errors... Does any one can help me on these problems? Here is what I done: [/wxMac-2.4.1]> mkdir build [/wxMac-2.4.1]> cd build [/wxMac-2.4.1/build]> ../configure --enable-debug [/wxMac-2.4.1/build] > make this error happens: c++ -c -I./lib/wx/include/macd-2.4 -I../include -I../src/pn...

Buffer Overflow in MAC OS X: help needed from gurus
I am a student and I am writing a report about buffer overflows in Mac OS X, but I really need help from assembly gurus. Please read on for the full explanation. Everything works if I overwrite manually the return address with the shell code address. For example: void f() { int i = 0; int *SHELLCODE_ADDR; SHELLCODE_ADDR = (int *) shellcode; printf("SHELLCODE_ADDR = %p\n", SHELLCODE_ADDR); *((&i) + OFFSET) = SHELLCODE_ADDR; } Here "shellcode" is the array of chars that represent the shell code. OFFSET is 10 (words). This example usually works. ...

Need help building boost python on mac os x.
Could someone point me to step by step instructions on building boost python on mac os x? I have bjam running.. I have the boost source... but the tests are failing.. Probably something to do with environement variables... Anyone with time? KraftDiner wrote: > Could someone point me to step by step instructions on building boost > python on mac os x? > I have bjam running.. I have the boost source... but the tests are > failing.. > Probably something to do with environement variables... > Anyone with time? You might also ask on the boost python list: http://www.boost.org/...

need help sharing files OS X and older Macs
Thanks in advance for your help. I have a new IMac G5 running Panther (OS X 10.3.5, soon to be .6). On an ethernet network with a few IMacs running 10.2 and 9.1, and older G3s running 8.6. I need to share some folders on the G5 (and only a few folders) with selected users on the network. The old mac OS 8 users and groups permissions wereperfect for this scenario, but I am having trouble doing this on OS X. Must I create additional users accounts for network access? Any help or pointers to tutorial is greatly appreciated. In article <19b492f8.0411170955.193fbaa2@posting.google.com>,...

Re: Need help for wxMac compiling on Mac OS X
I tried getting the wxMac 2.4 branch from CVS but was unsuccessful. Would the syntax be something like the following:? % cvs checkout -r WX_2_4_BRANCH wxMac Thanks, Robert Terwilliger --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwindows.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwindows.org ...

Migrating from Eudora 7 on Windows to Outlook under Mac OS X
Please excuse the cross-posting, but since I have a cross-platform issue, I believe it may be appropriate. As the Subject says, I have an end-user currently running Eudora (v7.1.0.9 paid) under Windows XP Pro SP3. We need to migrate him to Outlook (from MS Office 2011) running under Mac OS X (10.7, a.k.a. "Lion"). We would welcome suggestions of any third-party tools that would facilitate the migration to preserve as much of the data from Eudora in as functional form within Outlook as possible (messages and address book). Native processes that would maintain the usefuln...

Windows programmer needs direction for Mac OS X development
Hello, I am a Windows C/C++ and DirectX programmer who has migrated to Mac OS completely to do video game programming. I am running Mac OS 10.4.2. As I am new to Mac programming I would appreciate some direction. On Windows I code using the Win32 API and DirectX with a programmer's text editor rather than a full IDE. I do my compiling and linking via command line using Microsoft's own compiler tools. I do not use MFC or other higher level classes, nor do I create my interfaces using an interface building app. Ideally, I'd like to keep working in this style since I'm more productive this way. It gives me more control and enables me to produce smaller, cleaner code. So with this in mind... 1. What exactly is Xcode? I see that it is GCC 4.0 plus an IDE and a few GUI dev tools; but is it just a programming environment like Visual Studio, or is it something more? If it is more, do I lose anything by using it in terms of portability and performance. 2. Is there a flexible and practical programming environment on Mac that is preferred for cross-platform game development with OpenGL and SDL? 3. Does writing Cocoa mean writing apps that are non-portable to Windows? 4. On Windows, MFC can make certain programming tasks easier, but it is often messy, resulting in bloated and buggy code. Does a similar situation exist with Cocoa and Carbon? Should I aim to code close to the API? Am I thinking about this the right way? 5. ...

Trying to add a mac client to a windows server, need help
For a school project I am attempting to set up a Windows 2003 Server and add a mac client running OS X(10.3.9). Can anyone lend me a hand as to where I start? I�ve heard that macs have problems logging into a Windows 2003 domain. Also what needs to be modified on the server so that there are no problems? Any feed back will help a lot. Gracias -- Posted using the http://www.macforumz.com interface, at author's request Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards Topic URL: http://www.macforumz.com/General-Discussion-add-mac-client-windows-server-help-ftopict148903.ht...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Migrating Windows user to Mac OS X on a MacBook Pro.
Hello. I have a client (not a computer/techie expert) who is interested in going from Windows world (3.x, 98 SE, 2000, and XP) to Mac OS X. I am wondering if this is suitable for him. This is what he does on his PCs (notebooks/laptops and desktops): 1. MS Office 2000-2003. He shares a lots of English and asian documents between people (mostly MS products). I know MS Office exists for Mac OS X. 2. Read, write/type, and print Chinese and Korean documents and Web pages and software that use asian characters in datas). He used both MS IME (does Mac OS X comes with one?) and TwinBr...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Linux User Needs Help with Bash on Mac OS X
Hello, When I start Terminal, my default shell is Bash, which is good, because that's what I want. However, even if I tell Terminal to run `/bin/bash --login` or `/bin/bash -i`, I can't seem to get it to source my .bash_profile or .bashrc initialization scripts. I've read elsewhere that bash on Mac OS X uses .profile or ..bashrc_profile, but these files don't get sourced either. Anyone have any advice? -Rick p.s. My aim is to start ssh-agent for each shell I run, which seems like a clunky solution anyway. Anyone know a better way to give all my terminal windows access...

Web resources about - Need Help Migrating Client From Windows To Mac OS X - comp.lotus-notes.admin

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

YouTube - Evaluating & Migrating to Cloud Storage
Hochgeladen am 31.08.2011 When evaluating cloud storage, no matter the need, there are criteria that must be placed above the rest, including: ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Enchanting video shows hundreds of stingrays migrating through shallow waters
A video showing hundreds of stingrays migrating through shallow waters&nbsp;has gone viral,&nbsp;months after being uploaded to Facebook.

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...