Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface

I have ported a Mac OS 9 shared library to Mac OS X using Codewarrior 8 and
the Carbon methodology. What are the prerequisites and steps for wrapping
this library under Java Native Interface since the caller application is
written in Java and Java itself cannot call methods directly from a native
shared library? Are there any previous attempts, expreiences? Any obstacles?

Byron

0
bg
9/20/2005 3:05:26 PM
comp.mac.codewarrior 2568 articles. 0 followers. ja7789 (3) is leader. Post Follow

The JNI library must be Mach-O. It must be a dylib named
"lib<yourlibname>.jnilib". I'm pretty sure there is sample code for JNI
libs on the Apple Developer Site. You say that your native is Carbon,
if it does any GUI interaction, things will be complicated with JDK 1.4
& JDK 1.5 on Mac OS X, as they use Cocoa.

In addition, you'll find a wealth of information in Apple's java-dev
mailing list and its archive.

-Greg

0
Greg

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Mac OS X fonts in Mac OS 9
Dear all, Is it possible to use MacOS X fonts in the classic environment? What's the procedure if it is ... Cheers! In article <3bef037b.0411010152.7625d932@posting.google.com>, davidol@hushmail.com (David) wrote: > Is it possible to use MacOS X fonts in the classic environment? > What's the procedure if it is ... No problem: a) TrueType fonts (.ttf - the vast majority) can simply be *moved* to the fonts folder in your Classic system folder. b) OpenType fonts (.otf) can be placed there as well but require Adobe Type Manager Light to work: <http://www.adobe....

Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X
I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off the earth for them. The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 will I need all the mac os x libraries ? can someone throw somelight ? Thanks >The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward >compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 >wi...

Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X
I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off the earth for them. The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 will I need all the mac os x libraries ? can someone throw somelight ? Thanks On 21 Nov 2003, dharmesh wrote: > I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac > os 9. I would like to...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: PDF to EPS workarounds for Mac OS X Attention TeXy, TeXy
Attention TeXy, TeXy peoples: (excuse the mispronunciation; punny licence) It seems that Mac OS X has partially documented issues (http://altair.ific.uv.es/~JaxoDraw/Bugparade/bugparade.htm, http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/issues.html#anchor6) with the generation of EPS, and I'm trying to find a workaround. The Preview application cannot export to eps, but it can read it (converting it to PDF). If I use Adobe Acrobat to read the PDF generated by Preview, the EPS it generates sometimes (inconsistently) causes dvips to make an unreadable file. What I'm trying to do is the followi...

Creating a Bootable Mac OS 9 CD in Mac OS X
I have a bootable Mac OS 9 CD for an old Power Mac. I need to duplicate the System Folder with a few extra extensions and create a bootable CD for emergency reboot on the old computer. My new iMac does not run Classic. I copied the "System Folder" from the Mac OS 9 CD to the new iMac and burned a CD-R. The old Power Mac does not boot from the CD-R when I restart it holding down "C". My investigation revealed that the System Folder in a bootable CD-R must be "blessed" by turning on a boot bit or something. When I copied the System Folder to the iMac, it bec...

Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server
Hi, I'm currently using a 9i developer release on Mac OS X (10.3) which has proved very stable so far. My understanding of the various Oracle press releases is that 10G will be released for Mac OS X, are there any beta testers out there wiling to comment on availabilitu/quality/performance issues for 10G on Mac OS X? Another question is whether tools such as the OEM will be available in 10G for Mac OS X, does anybody know? Yours in anticipation! Steve Steve <steve@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004013008345616807%steve@nospamcom>... > releases is that 10G wil...

Problem with Helvetica font on Mac OS X/Mac OS 9 System
I'm working with a Mac which has Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.2 running on top of the X. I use MS Word and Pagemaker and there's a problem with helvetica italic not displaying consistently. I mean, without any intervention, some days it's visible, other days it's not. I thought maybe it was due to not having the font file, but it seems we do have it. I don't know if this is related, but Adobe Type Manager has also popped up lately complaining about not having enough cache memory. I looked at the setting and it was 2MB already, but increased it to 3 MB yesterday. It seems to have...

Web resources about - Porting a Mac OS 9 to Carbon Mac OS X shared library + Java Native Interface - comp.mac.codewarrior

Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weather Underground gets interface improvements on iOS
The popular online weather service Weather Underground has just updated its official iOS app with a number of interface enhancements.

Disney CEO & Apple board member Bob Iger calls Apple TV best television interface ever
... Executive Bob Iger said in an interview on Monday, praising Apple for creating what he believes is the most intuitive television user interface ...

Playing around with BMW’s 7 Series gesture control user interface
... we showed you Dragon Drive , the voice-activation system that's now included in BMW's 7 Series. That's not the only advanced user interface ...

Firefox 43 adds new block list, updates Android user interface
Mozilla has rolled out Firefox 43 FINAL for Windows, Mac and Linux, with Firefox 43 for Android due to follow imminently. The desktop build ...

Samsung Shows Off New Smart Remote and Interface for Their Smart TVs
... hubs in 2016. On top of extensive smart home control by way of SmartThings , the company’s line of smart TVs will also be getting a user interface ...

IDG Contributor Network: Post-acquisition, LastPass rolls out new version with more user interface bling ...
... exists, revenue streams are sure to eventuate. The new version of LastPass, imaginatively called LastPass 4.0, has an entirely new user interface ...

Android’s design guru says iPhone interface is ‘heavy and burdensome’
The arrival of the original iPhone may have fundamentally changed Google’s plans for its Android smartphone platform, but according to Google’s ...

Sling TV Plans New Interface And Guide That Predicts What Users Want
... Sling CEO Roger Lynch says that the service won’t hike the price this year. He also said that later this quarter it will roll out a new interface, ...

Day of the Tentacle Remastered's slick interface works flawlessly
When we learned at the PlayStation Experience keynote that Day of the Tentacle Remastered was releasing March 2016, I wrote that it had been ...