Different Versions for Different Users, Fast User Switch

Problem: I want to run Eudora 6 for a test account while I keep using
Eudora 5.2 for my main account.

Possible solution: Different Versions for Different Users...
 - Install the new Eudora 6, create a new "test" user
 - Main user launches Eudora 5.2 by double clicking the application
 - Fast User Switch to "test" user
 - Test user launches Eudora 6 by double clicking that application.
Different mail account, different settings, whole different Eudora
Folder.
 - Switch back and forth with Fast User Switching.

Will this work? Or will a second instance of the Eudora application
overwrite something important? I don't know enough about where Eudora
puts things to guess.

Second question: Is it possible to "downgrade" from Eudora 6 to Eudora
5.2 if I don't like it? Or does 6 change some file formats so there is
no return?

   -- Sally

--
Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
sshears@theWorld.com -or- Sally@Shears.org

In article <171120031931599318%sshears@theWorld.com>, Sally Shears
<sshears@theWorld.com> wrote:

> Problem: I want to run Eudora 6 for a test account while I keep using
> Eudora 5.2 for my main account.
>
> Possible solution: Different Versions for Different Users...
>  - Install the new Eudora 6, create a new "test" user
>  - Main user launches Eudora 5.2 by double clicking the application
>  - Fast User Switch to "test" user
>  - Test user launches Eudora 6 by double clicking that application.
> Different mail account, different settings, whole different Eudora
> Folder.
>  - Switch back and forth with Fast User Switching.
>
> Will this work? Or will a second instance of the Eudora application
> overwrite something important? I don't know enough about where Eudora
> puts things to guess.

I'm using one Eudora 6 application on two different logins, with two
different preferences, both at the same time with no ill effects.

--
Christopher S. Moore
usenetspamtrap@mooregraphics.us
Moore <usenetspamtrap@mooregraphics.us> wrote:

> In article <171120031931599318%sshears@theWorld.com>, Sally Shears
> <sshears@theWorld.com> wrote:
>
> > Problem: I want to run Eudora 6 for a test account while I keep using
> > Eudora 5.2 for my main account.
> >
> > Possible solution: Different Versions for Different Users...
> >  - Install the new Eudora 6, create a new "test" user
> >  - Main user launches Eudora 5.2 by double clicking the application
> >  - Fast User Switch to "test" user
> >  - Test user launches Eudora 6 by double clicking that application.
> > Different mail account, different settings, whole different Eudora
> > Folder.
> >  - Switch back and forth with Fast User Switching.
> >
> > Will this work? Or will a second instance of the Eudora application
> > overwrite something important? I don't know enough about where Eudora
> > puts things to guess.
>
> I'm using one Eudora 6 application on two different logins, with two
> different preferences, both at the same time with no ill effects.

I could have been clearer on that. No you will not have any problems
with your plan. Eudora stores its information in the Documents folder
of each user. Thus you can have two sets of preferences. Eudora won't
overwrite anything.

--
Christopher S. Moore
usenetspamtrap@mooregraphics.us
Email replies must begin with "Re: " or be killed
0
Chris
11/18/2003 1:29:46 AM
Sally Shears <sshears@theWorld.com> wrote:

> Second question: Is it possible to "downgrade" from Eudora 6 to Eudora
> 5.2 if I don't like it? Or does 6 change some file formats so there is
> no return?

There will be no problem downgrading, but you'll need to retain a backup
of the 5.2 application to be able to revert; I believe it's no longer
available on the Eudora website.

--
Kathy
0

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2350hq.html

Gerry

In article <171120031931599318%sshears@theWorld.com>,
 Sally Shears <sshears@theWorld.com> wrote:

> Problem: I want to run Eudora 6 for a test account while I keep using
> Eudora 5.2 for my main account.
>
> Possible solution: Different Versions for Different Users...
>  - Install the new Eudora 6, create a new "test" user
>  - Main user launches Eudora 5.2 by double clicking the application
>  - Fast User Switch to "test" user
>  - Test user launches Eudora 6 by double clicking that application.
> Different mail account, different settings, whole different Eudora
> Folder.
>  - Switch back and forth with Fast User Switching.
>
> Will this work? Or will a second instance of the Eudora application
> overwrite something important? I don't know enough about where Eudora
> puts things to guess.
>
> Second question: Is it possible to "downgrade" from Eudora 6 to Eudora
> 5.2 if I don't like it? Or does 6 change some file formats so there is
> no return?
>
>    -- Sally
0
Gerry
11/18/2003 6:55:19 PM
<sshears@theWorld.com> wrote:

> Problem: I want to run Eudora 6 for a test account while I keep using
> Eudora 5.2 for my main account.
>
> Possible solution: Different Versions for Different Users...
>  - Install the new Eudora 6, create a new "test" user
>  - Main user launches Eudora 5.2 by double clicking the application
>  - Fast User Switch to "test" user
>  - Test user launches Eudora 6 by double clicking that application.
> Different mail account, different settings, whole different Eudora
> Folder.
>  - Switch back and forth with Fast User Switching.
>
> Will this work?

Following up my own post... This didn't work out. Eudora 6 wanted to
install itself over the older 5.2 version, and I feared that there
would be registration problems... I wanted to pay the reduced price
upgrade fee, not the "new purchase" fee.

So, I chickened out and let 6 overwrite 5.2 on a test machine instead
of using the "different users get different versions" approach.

BTW, I like Eudora 6 with SpamSieve. The Baysian filtering is very
nice. (I did not try Eudora 6's own spam filtering.)

   -- Sally

--
Sally Shears (a.k.a. "Molly")
sshears@theWorld.com -or- Sally@Shears.org
http://theWorld.com/~sshears
0
Sally

Same user name - different user
From:Dave Comcast (dgattis@comcast.net) Subject:Same user name - different user - different domain Newsgroups:comp.mail.sendmail Date:2002-12-17 14:54:30 PST Same user name - different user - different domain. How is this done? Example: user "A" is jblow@domain1.com user "B" is jblow@domain2.com They have the same user names but use different domains. Whats the best way to handle this? Currently, an alias is all inclusive to any domain I handle. If I create an alias that jb = jblow, it covers all domains. How do you separate them? Help! Thanks, Dave http://r...

Same user name - different user
Da:Dave Comcast (dgattis@comcast.net) Oggetto:Same user name - different user - different domain Newsgroups:comp.mail.sendmail Data:2002-12-17 14:54:30 PST Same user name - different user - different domain. How is this done? Example: user "A" is jblow@domain1.com user "B" is jblow@domain2.com They have the same user names but use different domains. Whats the best way to handle this? Currently, an alias is all inclusive to any domain I handle. If I create an alias that jb = jblow, it covers all domains. How do you separate them? Help! Thanks, Dave http://rid...

different users have different conduits

different users have different conduits
My home computer has Windows XP. My wife and I each have a log-in and we each use a Tungsten E. When we log in under her windows screen, there are nore hotsync conduits than when we log in under my windows screen. This is true whether we're loooking at her device or mine. Other than reinstalling, any way to get my windows login to show the same options we get under hers? - Henry ...

Setting different path for different users
Hi, I am working on a Windows 7 server at my work, with my user name. I am working on a file fulled with m files programs. These file is set on the path. The thing is, sometimes I make a copy of the file, that I save on another place of the computer, so that my boss can test the program. The problem is that is I add the path of the place where the testing file is located, when I run my program from the origiinal file, there is a conflict between the two paths (because the mfiles inside have the same names...) So my question is: is there a way to tell matlab: "when user1 is running...

Can different-users have different-X?
For the PC that never goes-online, I login as root. *sorry*!! Now I've got a subtle/complex problem that seems to be related to the font-server. I read that only root can change the font-server. I don't want to reboot, and lose all my work, but wanted to see/if what a non-root user sees in X. Because I didn't cultivate the habit of pretending I'm various different non-root userS, I just *assumed* that this multi-user OS could log different users into different X configurations. I favour blacbox, but Mary may prefer twm. The error is <server already active o...

How could different user see different HKEY_CLASS_ROOT?
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT should be the same for different users, right? I just found an exception to this with the following steps; 1. Login as user1 2. Run an installation program which add registry keys to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT 3. run regedit and verify the new registry keys are there 4. log off user1 and login as user2 5. run regedit and cannot find the same key under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. It happen on my Windows XP machine. Does anyone has any idea why could this happen? <ningjun.wang@lexisnexis.com> wrote in message news:1114019414.662364.170670@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com....

different languages for different users in xp
Is it possible to set different languages for different users in XP? I have a chinese user who does not speak English. The rest of us are red blood Americans. Can I set up his user account using Chinese language while the rest of us have our own English on the same machine? Thanks. Sorry Sorry Sorry wrong group. ...

different size limits for different users
Given multiple classes of users, is there some way I can enforce different size limits? I.e. store the SIZE parameter from MAIL FROM: and at RCPT TO time find out what class the recipient is in, check to see if the message will be too big for the class and reject the receipient if it is? I'm wondering if there would be any way to do this with sendmail rules? Using a milter would be a secondary option. In article <41fcbff8@news.victoria.tc.ca> jnemeth@vtn1.victoria.tc.ca (John Nemeth) writes: > Given multiple classes of users, is there some way I can enforce >differ...

Different user, different indexes used. Why?
When I connect using SQL*Plus to Oracle 8i DB using cost based optimization and run _identical_ queries (syntax and literals) as two different users, as one of the users the query takes less than a second and as the other user it takes over a minute. I did an explain plan on both and found that for the fast user unique indexes are used on all three tables in the query and for the slow user only one unique index is used while the other two indexes are ignored. Can someone explain how this could happen? Thanks, Sam On Feb 14, 1:45 pm, samuelroll...@gmail.com wrote: > When I connect using ...

Different Authentication meathods for Different users
We currently are running ssh.com's sshd2 server and the Allowed Authorization's are publickey and password. Is there a way to make a group of users only have publickey, and the rest of the users still keep the default? Thanks for any help, dstew >>>>> "dstew" == dstew <dstew@srds.com> writes: dstew> We currently are running ssh.com's sshd2 server and the Allowed dstew> Authorization's are publickey and password. Is there a way to dstew> make a group of users only have publickey, and the rest of the dstew> users ...

On redhat, different users = different @INC
Hi, We have RedHat 4EL and perl 5.8.5. Per a user's request I installed Date:Simple, using perl -MCPAN -e shell as the root user. Now root can find Date::Simple, but other users cannot. They do not want to include a lib statement in their scripts or invoke with a -I. The @INC libraries are close, but not identical. Does anyone know how to correct or resolve this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Best regards, Russ On Aug 20, 3:00 pm, Russ <russell.bro...@perdue.com> wrote: > We have RedHat 4EL and perl 5.8.5. Per a user's request I > installed Date:Simple, us...

[LogoForum] Different software to different kind of users
The message below is being cross-posted from LogoForum. HI LOGO FANS!!!!!!! As Norbert said, the time has fly so fast and the computer users have change very much. But, the good news are: all of us need to start to learn to use the computer sometime, and somebody would want to know how to program a machine. In other words, sooner or later, somebody will meet with Logo. Here is my point, What will be the real boundary with Logo? Is this boundary an intrinsic Logo restriction? or Is it an intentional obstacle made by the commercial system world? I don't have the answer. Do you? More b...

different answers for different users
--_000_D19EE79850267danmcdonaldaustinenergycom_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable We have an application that that has application servers burried deep behin= d a few layers of reverse proxies and load balancers, but has a hard-coded = server address in a returned java applet. To allow the java applets to wor= k, someone here started deploying host files containing the app servers lis= ted in these applets and redirects them to the load balancer address. But = having host files scattered about the network is messy. ...

Web resources about - Different Versions for Different Users, Fast User Switch - comp.mail.eudora.mac

Donald Trump to Supporters: ‘Knock the Crap Out of’ Tomato-Carrying Protesters
After someone threatened to attack Donald Trump with a tomato at an Iowa rally on Monday, the GOP presidential frontrunner told the crowd to ...

Google parent Alphabet surpasses Apple as 'world's most valuable company'
With the release of its fourth-quarter earnings report today, Google parent company Alphabet became the world's most valuable company, and kicked ...

Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.71 edges closer to the final release for older phones
Microsoft released cumulative update 10586.71 for Windows 10 Mobile beta testers on Monday, which Microsoft executives said prepares the OS for ...

UK Scientists To ‘Edit’ Human Embryos – Controversial Gene Editing To Help Understand Fertility Problems ...
UK has approved scientists to edit human embryos. The application to conduct highly controversial procedure of gene editing has been filed claiming ...

‘Game of Thrones’ star Gwendoline Christie confirms Captain Phasma role for ‘Star Wars VIII’
What does Game of Thrones and Star Wars have in common? If you thought Gwendoline Christie, then you’re right on the money. The actress plays ...

Under the Sea: Microsoft testing underwater data centers
Microsoft wants to help cloud computing centers and server rooms reach their customers more efficiently even if that means building out data ...

Virginia Tech students charged in killing of seventh grade girl make court appearance
OCRegister Virginia Tech students charged in killing of seventh grade girl make court appearance OCRegister Trooper Christopher Grzelak puts ...

Both WhatsApp and Gmail top 1 billion users
Facebook and Google both just reached a significant milestone. Google's Gmail and Facebook's WhatsApp both claim more than 1 billion monthly ...

Another Top Chef's Suicide Puts Macho Kitchen Culture Under Scrutiny
NBCNews.com Another Top Chef's Suicide Puts Macho Kitchen Culture Under Scrutiny BuzzFeed News The death of Benoît Violier in Switzerland ...

Dutch Police Are Training Eagles to Take Down Unwanted Drones
Dutch police are training eagles to take down unwanted drones . The police partnered with the company Guard From Above based in The Hague to ...