How does one encode attachments of text documents in Eudora on a Mac so PCs can read them from emails?

The subject says it.

I am trying to find some sort of formatting or compression of text file
attachments that most PC's can access. I have Stuffit 9.0, so I can zip
files or use UU or tar or several other codings, but a significant
fraction of my targets complain that they cannot open them.

I also can do .odt and .pdf and .rtf and .txt

Thanks for any help ( or any useful URLs ).
0
Virgil
11/7/2007 6:03:14 AM
comp.mail.eudora.mac 2042 articles. 0 followers. dcohenspam (237) is leader. Post Follow

Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am trying to find some sort of formatting or compression of text file
> attachments that most PC's can access. I have Stuffit 9.0, so I can zip
> files or use UU or tar or several other codings, but a significant
> fraction of my targets complain that they cannot open them.

If you zip them *and have the .zip suffix in the file name*, which is
crucially important, then PCs should have no trouble opening the
archive.
--
Peter
0
 Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

> The subject says it.
>
> I am trying to find some sort of formatting or compression of text file
> attachments that most PC's can access. I have Stuffit 9.0, so I can zip
> files or use UU or tar or several other codings, but a significant
> fraction of my targets complain that they cannot open them.
>
> I also can do .odt and .pdf and .rtf and .txt
>
> Thanks for any help ( or any useful URLs ).

I'll start with the obvious and then work up: do you always use a .txt
extension on your text files?

Roberta
--
Roberta Millstein
usenet@spamaway.rlm.net

In article <1i77876.pk2hojcfyq5xN%peter@cara.demon.co.uk>, Peter
Ceresole <peter@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to find some sort of formatting or compression of text file
> > attachments that most PC's can access. I have Stuffit 9.0, so I can zip
> > files or use UU or tar or several other codings, but a significant
> > fraction of my targets complain that they cannot open them.
>
> If you zip them *and have the .zip suffix in the file name*, which is
> crucially important, then PCs should have no trouble opening the
> archive.

I have also heard the advice that of the four encoding methods Eudora
offers (see the blue apple "II" pop-down menu in the upper-left corner
of the message window), that "AppleDouble" is the best for
cross-platform attachments. However, that may be to preserve some
Mac-specific information with the attachment. But try all of them if
you are having trouble.

--
Jim Gibson

                http://www.usenet.com
0
Jim
11/8/2007 12:07:23 AM
In article <usenet-E9FEB6.14262707112007@free.teranews.com>,
 "R. Millstein" <usenet@spamaway.rlm.net> wrote:

> In article <virgil-A24C72.23031406112007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
>  Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > The subject says it.
> >
> > I am trying to find some sort of formatting or compression of text file
> > attachments that most PC's can access. I have Stuffit 9.0, so I can zip
> > files or use UU or tar or several other codings, but a significant
> > fraction of my targets complain that they cannot open them.
> >
> > I also can do .odt and .pdf and .rtf and .txt
> >
> > Thanks for any help ( or any useful URLs ).
>
> I'll start with the obvious and then work up: do you always use a .txt
> extension on your text files?

Yes but it is .pdf and .odt which are most desirable  for me, as they
transmit  the formatting. If I only wanted unformatted text, I could put
the text directly into the email without any attaching.

> Roberta
> --
> Roberta Millstein
> usenet@spamaway.rlm.net
> Remove "spamaway" to reply
0
Virgil
11/8/2007 1:11:43 AM
In article <virgil-8B545D.18114307112007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
 Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <usenet-E9FEB6.14262707112007@free.teranews.com>,
>  "R. Millstein" <usenet@spamaway.rlm.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <virgil-A24C72.23031406112007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
> >  Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > The subject says it.
> > >
> > > I am trying to find some sort of formatting or compression of text file
> > > attachments that most PC's can access. I have Stuffit 9.0, so I can zip
> > > files or use UU or tar or several other codings, but a significant
> > > fraction of my targets complain that they cannot open them.
> > >
> > > I also can do .odt and .pdf and .rtf and .txt
> > >
> > > Thanks for any help ( or any useful URLs ).
> >
> > I'll start with the obvious and then work up: do you always use a .txt
> > extension on your text files?
>
> Yes but it is .pdf and .odt which are most desirable  for me, as they
> transmit  the formatting. If I only wanted unformatted text, I could put
> the text directly into the email without any attaching.

Ah, I see.  Your subject said text documents -- I don't think of PDFs as
text documents.  I am not familiar with .odt files, but again, it is
crucially important to include the extension as part of the file name
(this goes for .rtf, too).

Assuming that you always use a .pdf extension on your PDF files, another
trick I have learned to make Eudora behave is to make sure that for each
PDF file, the "Type" is set to "PDF " (note the space after PDF) and the
"Creator" is set to "CARO".

In terms of encoding, I use AppleDouble.  I send a lot of PDFs to PC
users and no one has ever complained about them.

Roberta
--
Roberta Millstein
usenet@spamaway.rlm.net

In article <usenet-C382AA.20073307112007@free.teranews.com>,
 "R. Millstein" <usenet@spamaway.rlm.net> wrote:

> In article <virgil-8B545D.18114307112007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
>  Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <usenet-E9FEB6.14262707112007@free.teranews.com>,
> >  "R. Millstein" <usenet@spamaway.rlm.net> wrote:

> > > I'll start with the obvious and then work up: do you always use a .txt
> > > extension on your text files?
> >
> > Yes but it is .pdf and .odt which are most desirable  for me, as they
> > transmit  the formatting. If I only wanted unformatted text, I could put
> > the text directly into the email without any attaching.
>
> Ah, I see.  Your subject said text documents -- I don't think of PDFs as
> text documents.  I am not familiar with .odt files, but again, it is
> crucially important to include the extension as part of the file name
> (this goes for .rtf, too).
>
> Assuming that you always use a .pdf extension on your PDF files, another
> trick I have learned to make Eudora behave is to make sure that for each
> PDF file, the "Type" is set to "PDF " (note the space after PDF) and the
> "Creator" is set to "CARO".

What do you use you set the Type and Creator? I had a program that could
do it back in OS 9, but I don't know how in OS X, and that program
doesn't work right any more.

> In terms of encoding, I use AppleDouble.  I send a lot of PDFs to PC
> users and no one has ever complained about them.
>
> Roberta
> --
> Roberta Millstein
> usenet@spamaway.rlm.net
> Remove "spamaway" to reply
0
Virgil
11/8/2007 6:14:25 AM
In article <virgil-4373A7.23142507112007@comcast.dca.giganews.com>,
 Virgil <virgil@comcast.net> wrote:

> What do you use you set the Type and Creator? I had a program that could
> do it back in OS 9, but I don't know how in OS X, and that program
> doesn't work right any more.

I use Super Get Info from Bare Bones Software, but iirc it's payware and
probably more than you need for this purpose alone.  But there are other
programs out there; a quick search found this:
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14506>

Roberta
--
Roberta Millstein
usenet@spamaway.rlm.net

Jim Gibson <jimsgibson@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have also heard the advice that of the four encoding methods Eudora
> offers (see the blue apple "II" pop-down menu in the upper-left corner
> of the message window), that "AppleDouble" is the best for
> cross-platform attachments.

It certainly is- and it works very well, preserving 'mac information'
for macs and not messing it up for anybody else. It's a straight win.
You can set it as default method in Special->Settings->Sending
attachments->Encoding method.

But the original question related to the 'formatting or compression of
text file attachments', which I took to mean the compression of
documents for attaching. Maybe I was wrong- but if that was the
question, then zip is the way.
--
Peter
0

Windows Eudora to Mac Eudora
Trying to get all my Windows Eudora v7.1 email folders/mailboxes converted to Mac Eudora 6.2 but the instructions on Qualcomm's site are incomplete. Does anyone have a step-by-step solution that they know works? Also - in the Windows version, the mailbox/folder list docks on the left side of the screen (above where Eudora used to have ads. Is there any way in the Mac version to control window placement and docking? One last question - Is this the only place to get active Eudora discussion/user support, or are there other forums for Mac users that are still active? Thanks...

Import mail archives from Eudora 6 for Windows to Eudora 6 for Mac
Good morning/evening everyone ! I am a french user of Eudora, and I encounter this problem : I precedently used Eudora on a Windows plateform ; and now I have bought a Macintosh (^-^) and I would want to recover my mail archives on the Macintosh. Is there a way to import these archives from the Eudora version which is installed on Windows, to the Mac Version ? Thank you for your help (and sorry, really, for my very bad english :/ ) Nakaori In <BBDC2EFB.936F%mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> Mad Youri <mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> wrote: > Good morning/evening ev...

PC Eudora to Mac Eudora
I just tried migrating from PC Eudora (with .toc files, etc) to Mac Eudora under MacOS 10.5 - and I can't get any of the suggestions to work. The files were transferred via USB flash drive The Mac version appears to use the resource fork, regardless of whether the "use old style .toc" is checked or not. When I move the files over, the .mbx files are recognized as Eudora files (in the "kind" column of a finder window). . When I remove the .mbx extension, it no longer is recognized as such. The mailboxes I make inside Eudora, which have no extension, are reco...

Window eudora to Mac eudora
Hi All, I am going to buy a mac Ibook, but currently i am using window, and use the eudora to get email, is it any way to transfer or convert those email to Mac? Thanks in advance, <saipak@alumni.polyu.edu.hk> wrote: > I am going to buy a mac Ibook, but currently i am using window, and use the > eudora to get email, is it any way to transfer or convert those email to > Mac? There are ways to do this quite easily. Others, who have done it, will surely reply here in detail, but in the mean time look at <www.emailman.com/conversion> and see if what you nee...

Exporting Eudora mail *with* attachements (Eudora -> Mozilla mail)
For compatibility reasons (I'm using a dual-boot PC with Linux and Windows, and found a way to share Mozilla (1.7.2) between both platforms)I've moved away from Eudora over to Mozilla to handle all my mail needs. I've found a (cumbersome and slow) way to import Eudora MBOX format mailboxes into Mozilla, but this doesn't include attachements. In Eudora each message seems to have a file-path which points to the attachement, while in Mozilla the attachement is included in the message itself, encoded in BASE-64. How can I convert Eudora mailboxes to include t...

Eudora for Windows mailboxes to Eudora for Mac
My searching has found numerous who have experienced my problem, but never a conclusion on how they fixed it. I've been using Eudora on Windows for many, many years... have several GB of email... and now I want to switch my environment over to Mac OS X... but my mail has to switch. Either Eudora for Mac or Apple Mail... but neither seems to import Eudora for Windows mail! Argh! Anyway, I've tried numerous things... including, of course, following the directions provided by Eudora, the directions found on MacNN, and directions found here. I've pulled over all the ...

Eudora Mac vs Eudora Windows
My husband uses Eudora 5 (sponsored) on his Mac (OS9) and Outlook on his Windows XP machine at work. He wants me to install Eudora at work because he hates Outlook. Most of his contacts are the same at home and office, so can I just drop a copy of his Eudora Address Book file into his Windows machine or is the Windows version a different type of file? If this can be done, where on the PC should I look for the Address Book to replace with the Mac file? nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote: > My husband uses Eudora 5 (sponsored) on his Mac (OS9) and Outlook on his >...

Trying to move Eudora from Mac to Mac w/ Panther
Hi. I am trying to move my Eudora mail from one mac to another. I have the identical installs on both machines but when I drag my Eudora foloder from my documents from one mac to the other, I now get these msgs... "Selection is not a properly formatted mailbox. Out (0); {45:204} Any ideas? A couple of more bits of info: When I try to open my settings in bbedit... it's blank. Does that make any sense? Finally, when I re-open Eudora it acts like it's a brand new install. Any ideas? Thanks! (what's weird is it still works on the source machin...

Eudora 5 (Win)
Hi, is it possible to use my mailboxes, attachment, settings, accounts etc from Eudora 5 (Win) on a Mac 9.2 with Eudora 4.3 (Mac)? Which is the best way for it, and where should I take attention? I hope it would work when I copy my mailboxes (mbx?) to Mac? Thanks for every hints that helps me... Kevin In <3f1d1076$0$22096$5402220f@news.sunrise.ch> Kevin Frei <.@.> wrote: > is it possible to use my mailboxes, attachment, settings, accounts etc from > Eudora 5 (Win) on a Mac 9.2 with Eudora 4.3 (Mac)? Which is the best way for > it, and where shoul...

Eudora 5 (Win)
Hi, is it possible to use my mailboxes, attachment, settings, accounts etc from Eudora 5 (Win) on a Mac 9.2 with Eudora 4.3 (Mac)? Which is the best way for it, and where should I take attention? I hope it would work when I copy my mailboxes (mbx?) to Mac? Thanks for every hints that helps me... Kevin Kevin Frei wrote: > > is it possible to use my mailboxes, attachment, settings, accounts etc from > Eudora 5 (Win) on a Mac 9.2 with Eudora 4.3 (Mac)? Which is the best way for > it, and where should I take attention? I hope it would work when I copy my > ma...

Transferring Eudora Addresses from older mac using OS 8.6 and Eudora 5.1 to new iMac using Panther !0.3 and Eudora 6.1
I have looked at all items on the strings appropriate or close to this problem back to May2004 with no useful input. I saved my old Eudora folder from my old machine on to a CD. I then loaded this into the new iMac and copied the Eudora Folder (not the applications folder) on to the desktop thinking Eudora 6.1 would see it and do the business. I had previously loaded up Eudora 6.1 (which seems to be working perfectly in all other aspects) and when it asked if I wanted to import infor from another application I said yes to..."from other". ( Eudora is not among these tha...

Mac to mac

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Mac Eudora to Windows Eudora: losing recipient names in OUT.mbx
I've created new mailboxes, and copied all my business emails over to new IN and OUT mailboxes (with different, names). The remaining emails are personal emails and the IN and OUT mailboxes remain on the Mac with those personal emails only. I transfer the new MP-IN.mbx with the business emails via Fetch to an FTP server, using ASCII (text) conversion. I download the files from the FTP server to the PC using a PC-compatible FTP client into a new folder and these then open perfectly in the Eudora for Windows in that computer. However, when I do the same process with the business...

Web resources about - How does one encode attachments of text documents in Eudora on a Mac so PCs can read them from emails? - comp.mail.eudora.mac

Attachment in adults - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attachment in adults deals with the theory of attachment in adult romantic relationships. Attachment theory was extended to adult romantic relationships ...

Facebook Allowing Page Admins To ‘Refresh Share Attachment?’
Facebook appears to have given page administrators the option of refreshing links that they share in posts on their pages . continued... New ...

Chronik-Fotos - Mama Bean - Unconditional Attachment - Facebook
Graphic design students at the University of North Texas asked this inspiring mama, Monica, to be the face of their ad campaign. The campaign ...

New Facebook Messages Only Provides an Online Attachment Viewing Feature for Microsoft Docs
In another move highlighting Facebook’s strategic relationship with investor Microsoft, the company has given the established office software ...

Documents.me - Documents from remote PC, MAC, Gmail attachments, Google Drive & Dropbox Docsync for iPad ...
Get Documents.me - Documents from remote PC, MAC, Gmail attachments, Google Drive & Dropbox Docsync on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, ...

A bullet attachment that could save lives? - YouTube
It looks like a toy attachment for a gun, but this new device is intended to give suspects a chance to live if shot. CNN's Sara Sidner reports. ...

Invention of the Day: New ‘Alternative’ Gun Attachment May Prevent Shooting Deaths
The Ferguson Police Department is testing out a new device which they think might help prevent unnecessary shooting deaths. “The Alternative” ...

100th anniversary of Anzac landings brings home strong attachments
The commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Anzac landings draws our attention to events that so many of us have a strong attachment to. ...

iPhones - Is Our Attachment To Smartphones A Bad Thing?
They cater to our basic human hunger for connection, so is our attachment to mobiles such a bad thing?

Apple not encrypting email attachments in iOS 7, security researcher claims
Apple's Mail app in iOS 7 is failing to encrypt email attachments, leaving user data vulnerable to hackers, a security researcher claims.