IMAP mail filtering

After converting pretty much all my accounts from POP to IMAP I started
thinking about mail filtering.

Using Eudora's filtering it seems that there's a lot of unnecessary net
traffic going on.

When it checks for mail, initially everything is downloaded to the local
inbox, then filtered locally into custom mail folders and finally sent
back to the server into the appropriate mailbox there, including any
attachments.

Is that how it works?

If so, it would be much more efficient to filter on the server side.
I've tried that for posts from a mailing list, setting the respective
mailbox to re-sync on mail check, and it is indeed much snappier.

--
Martin
0

On 11/4/2010 4:38 AM, Martin-S wrote:

> After converting pretty much all my accounts from POP to IMAP I started
> thinking about mail filtering.
>
> Using Eudora's filtering it seems that there's a lot of unnecessary net
> traffic going on.

That's IMAP -- client here, storage way out there,
whole lotta data transfer needed in between, all the time,
and a great complexity, trying to reduce some of that transfer,
bringing about all the "sync" issues instead.

> Wouldn't it be much more efficient to filter on the server side.
> I've tried that for posts from a mailing list, setting the respective
> mailbox to re-sync on mail check, and it is indeed much snappier.

For snappiest of all, move the client way out there too,
where the storage is, operate the client through a web browser,
put Google-like filtering and search capability into remote client,
and call it "Gmail" -- accomplishes all that IMAP was for,
but now much easier, faster, more fuel efficient,
and more comfortable to drive than old Model T IMAP :)

John
11/9/2010 2:41:23 PM
In article <4CD95D93.9020305@nomail.invalid>,
 John H Meyers <jhmeyers@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> For snappiest of all, move the client way out there too,
> where the storage is, operate the client through a web browser,
> put Google-like filtering and search capability into remote client,
> and call it "Gmail" -- accomplishes all that IMAP was for,
> but now much easier, faster, more fuel efficient,
> and more comfortable to drive than old Model T IMAP :)

I agree with your points.

The problem is I prefer the way Eudora works, the multiple windows, the
speeed etc., and I have yet to find any webmail client that isn't
sluggish.

Gmail, Roundcube, Zimbra, I use them all for when I don't have my Mac.

--
Martin
0
John H Meyers <jhmeyers@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> > After converting pretty much all my accounts from POP to IMAP I started
> > thinking about mail filtering.
> >
> > Using Eudora's filtering it seems that there's a lot of unnecessary net
> > traffic going on.
>
> That's IMAP -- client here, storage way out there,
> whole lotta data transfer needed in between, all the time,
> and a great complexity, trying to reduce some of that transfer,
> bringing about all the "sync" issues instead.

....or simply do the filtering on the server side. Fast, client
independent, all rules in one place. [1]

Requires that you have access to the server side, and know your regular
expressions (mailfilter) or procmail rules, unless you use an imap
server that supports Sieve (e.g. <http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/>).

        hauke

[1] Plus, it doesn't require this year's multi-GHz, multi-core cpu to
power this year's bloated web browser with its multiple security holes.

--
Now without signature.
0
On 11/10/2010 9:35 AM, Hauke Fath wrote:

> [IMAP] doesn't require this year's multi-GHz, multi-core cpu to
> power this year's bloated web browser with its multiple security holes.

IMAP is more "bloated" itself (as to network traffic demands)
than even the fanciest "AJAX" web application pages
(now running in ever more efficient web browsers,
as they compete with each other for speed),
but it so happens that Gmail also has a very low-demand optional
"Basic HTML" view, which takes very little processing power at all.

Few people will not have a web browser open anyway, to which all web links
in emails will transfer, and any built-in HTML renderer in any email program
is likely also to be exposed to many of the same exploits as any other browser.

The most important CPU in the entire matter, however, in my opinion,
is the brain of the user, which is often severely taxed when it comes
to comprehending and managing IMAP, whereas well-designed web applications
are a pleasant breeze to manage, even by those half asleep in their office chairs :)

John
11/12/2010 6:46:50 AM
On 11/9/2010 1:39 PM, Martin-S wrote:

> The problem is I prefer the way Eudora works, the multiple windows,
> the speed etc., and I have yet to find any webmail client
> that isn't sluggish.

While using Gmail, hold a "Shift" key while opening any item
(or "Compose mail") and you'll have a new window (or "tab") for it;
you can also open as many completely independent Gmail windows
(or tabs) as you like.

My web applications aren't sluggish,
certainly not in my Safari 5 browser (on Windows :)

How's all that IMAP "syncing" (and general search) for sluggishness,
however, as you accumulate vast amounts of messages (and mail folders)?

John
11/12/2010 7:01:21 AM
In article <4CDCE641.60403@nomail.invalid>,
 John H Meyers <jhmeyers@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> While using Gmail, hold a "Shift" key while opening any item
> (or "Compose mail") and you'll have a new window (or "tab") for it;
> you can also open as many completely independent Gmail windows
> (or tabs) as you like.

I was referring to how Eudora automatically opens individual mailbox
windows when it detects new mail and also remembers their position
between launches.

I simply like the fact that each mailbox has its own window.

At work I have a multiple monitor setup and my mailbox windows are
spatially arranged according to sender and importance. If something pops
up on the main monitor I know it might require a quick reply, whereas
the less important mailboxes open on the secondary monitor.

--
Martin
0

Mail .Mac cannot send mail via smtp mac
I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found without any problem I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, what could be wrong ? thanks joss In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found > without any problem > > I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, > what could be wrong ? > > thanks > > joss Without more detail, it's only a guess...bu...

mac mail not retrieving mail
me, again, this time with a mail issue. Running OS 10.6.8 and mail is version 4.6, on an imac. When I look for new mail, what is happening is nothing. The progress window show retrieving 29 items or 372 items or any other peculiar number - and then nothing shows up. I go to web mail and I see that I have 29 items in my mail, so I know that I am getting mail - it just isn't coming to my computer via the mail program. This is an absolute puzzler to me, and I don't have a clue where to look or even what kinds of things to look for. I have not done any kind of twiddling with ...

moving mail from a eudora MAC client to an IMAP account on Exchange
Can anyone help us here: we have a few thousand Eudora emails in mail folders on a MAC (OSX)-- and we want to make all this email (in its current folder structure) available to a (new) IMAP account on an Exchange server. Is there a way to just batch copy all the MAC/Eudora-based mail to the Exchange server? Thanks for suggestions! Alan Hi Alan, "AZaitchik" <azaitchik@hebrewcollege.edu> a �crit dans le message de news:ca9a347a.0408120532.56f51306@posting.google.com > Can anyone help us here: we have a few thousand Eudora emails in mail > folders on a MAC (OSX)-- and we w...

Exporting Eudora mail *with* attachements (Eudora -> Mozilla mail)
For compatibility reasons (I'm using a dual-boot PC with Linux and Windows, and found a way to share Mozilla (1.7.2) between both platforms)I've moved away from Eudora over to Mozilla to handle all my mail needs. I've found a (cumbersome and slow) way to import Eudora MBOX format mailboxes into Mozilla, but this doesn't include attachements. In Eudora each message seems to have a file-path which points to the attachement, while in Mozilla the attachement is included in the message itself, encoded in BASE-64. How can I convert Eudora mailboxes to include t...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Importing Eudora mail into Apple Mail
Having used Eudora for too many years, I now have a real mess in the references to attachments. Many of the attachments are no longer accessible from the messages that they arrived in, even though they are still in the attachments folder. The main issue here is that I have moved Eudora to a new machine every few years, and the startup disk has typically had a new name. This in itself is not a big problem, and Eudora still seems able to find the files. (But it does leave the reference in the mailbox with the old disk's name.) However, the other part of the reference is the...

Mail junk mail filtering problem
I just started emailing photos from my cell phone to my home email address, but I'm finding that they all end up in the Junk folder. I added the email address to my Address Book. I have the preference set to exempt emails with sender from my Address Book. The Trust junk mail headers set by my ISP is off. I even have a rule that changes the color for all people that are in my Address Book. So these emails arrive color coded as being a known address, the from field actually shows my name from my address book, but still they keep showing up in my Junk email box. I've clicked Not J...

Filtering IMAP mail
Hello all, At work I have a POP3 account for external mail and an IMAP (Exchange) account for internal, and I want letters from the latter account automatically go to my main mailbox, to which the POP3 account is at- tached. I can't seem to find a suitable kind of rule: a. New mail rules are only applied to the "New mail" folder. b. General rulesets are triggered only manually. c. POP3 rules don't work with IMAP. Can Pegasus be configured to automatically move new mail from an IMAP "New Mail" folder to its own "...

Filtering IMAP Mail.
Hi Is there a simple utility that will check my email accounts and filter the IMAP mail based on some simple rules. IE: USER (A) if header = ***** then move to USER (A)/IMAP_FOLDER1 if subject = **** then move to USER (A)/IMAP_FOLDER2 Is this possible ?? My mail server is running on Windows.] Thanks On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, jerryyang_la1@yahoo.com wrote: > Is there a simple utility that will check my email accounts and filter > the IMAP mail based on some simple rules. Any good IMAP client can do as you ask. Check the documentation for your IMAP client. Note that I said a "g...

Filtering Eudora mail?
Any suggested ways to make Eudora filters that will block messages whose Subject: line contains stuff like this: =A4=A4=B0=EA=A5H=A6U=BA=D8=A6X=AAk=A8=AD=A5=F7(=A7=EB=B8=EA,=BBP=B0=B2=B3 q=B1B=B1=BB=C5@,=BB=E2=A5~=B0=EA=C5@=B7=D3,=A4u=B0=D3=A6=D2=B9=EE),=BA=AF =B3z=A6=DC=A5x=C6W=B4C=C5=E9=B5o=AEi=A9=CE=ACO=BA=AF=B3z=A6=DC=ACF=A9=B2= BE=F7=BAc,=A6b2010=A6~,=B0=AA=B9F314=A4H, or like this: ���������M��u�O�ӷE�l�X��ڵ��G,�i��]������]�w�U�ػ�ê(�H��)�P�޳N�M�� ,���x�W��J���ꪺ�f�~,�J�줣�p����ê.�Ӥj���馩, or what seems to be characters from various Asian languages? In article <siegman-8BAE...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

mac mail
I just signed up with fasthosts and created more email accounts. I'm now being sent copies of all received emails every day I log on. It isn't a problem at the webmail end, fasthosts have suggested that my mail programme isn't completing the download and therefore isn't sending a delete message once it's picked up emails from the server. I've got a 'delete from server' setting of one week, but multiple emails are coming from well before that, and the emails aren't being deleted after one week anyway. When I started using fasthosts, I got a message saying my ...

Web resources about - IMAP mail filtering - comp.mail.eudora.mac

Bayesian spam filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
/ ˈ b eɪ z i ə n / BAY -zee-ən ; after Rev. Thomas Bayes ) is a statistical technique of e-mail filtering . It makes use of a naive Bayes classifier ...

Facebook Adds Filtering To Messages, Tests Paid Service
Facebook released an update to its messaging system on Thursday , adding a filtering system and introducing a paid service for U.S. users who ...

Facebook to test option for paid messages between users, announces new filtering controls
... users to pay to send direct messages to another user’s inbox rather than their “other” folder. The social network is also releasing new filtering ...

Filtering mentions - Twitter Blogs
As part of our product development process, we regularly reach out to our partners to better understand what would improve the Twitter experience. ...

ibisMail Free - Filtering Mail on the App Store on iTunes
Get ibisMail Free - Filtering Mail on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Google AdSense Category Filtering - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Details at searchengineland.com/google-adsense-testing-category-filt...

Australia's piracy web filtering - an exercise in futility
Even school children will laugh at the token gesture of blocking The Pirate Bay.

Internet Filtering Scheme's Demise Welcomed
Opponents of Stephen Conroy's mandatory internet filtering scheme are lining up to applaud its demise.

Yandex launches public DNS service with malicious URL filtering - Internet-based applications and services ...
Russian Web search firm Yandex launched a public DNS (Domain Name System) resolution service on Thursday that leverages the company's existing ...

The Filter Is Dead: Australian Government Dumps Controversial Filtering Project [Updated]
Almost three years ago now, Senator Stephen Conroy stepped up to the plate to deliver a bold new vision. A vision of a filtered, “safer” i... ...