Importing Eudora mail into Apple Mail

Having used Eudora for too many years, I now have a real mess in the references
to attachments. Many of the attachments are no longer accessible from the
messages that they arrived in, even though they are still in the attachments
folder.

The main issue here is that I have moved Eudora to a new machine every few
years, and the startup disk has typically had a new name. This in itself is not
a big problem, and Eudora still seems able to find the files. (But it does leave
the reference in the mailbox with the old disk's name.)

However, the other part of the reference is the file serial number (inode number
in Unix) which changes whenever the file is copied to another disk. Some of
these seem to be resolved correctly, but others are not, leaving a whole lot of
unconnected files.

This time with my migration, I thought I would try to make Eudora clean up some
of this mess by having Mail import the old mail, then having a new copy of
Eudora import from Mail. (Not sure this would have achieved what I wanted
without making a bigger mess, but read on...)

I kicked off Mail to import my Eudora mail, all 700MB of it (mainly
attachments). 20 minutes later, it had finished. All the mailboxes were there.
But there were no messages in them. Not-a-one! When I looked at the mailbox
files, they were all very short. There were some attachments, but only 96MB of
them.

I tried quitting and restarting Eudora, rebooting the machine, and telling Mail
to rebuild the mailboxes. Still no messages.

Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?

Cheers

David
0
David
11/28/2005 12:14:36 PM
comp.mail.eudora.mac 2042 articles. 0 followers. dcohenspam (237) is leader. Post Follow

In article <davidmor-2602C8.23143628112005@duster.adelaide.on.net>,
 David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> wrote:

> I tried quitting and restarting Eudora, rebooting the machine, and telling
> Mail
> to rebuild the mailboxes. Still no messages.

Of course, I really quit and restarted Mail, not Eudora, which was not even
running at the time.

Cheers

David
0
David
11/28/2005 12:21:44 PM
David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> wrote:

[Snipped Text]

> I kicked off Mail to import my Eudora mail, all 700MB of it (mainly
> attachments). 20 minutes later, it had finished. All the mailboxes were
> there. But there were no messages in them. Not-a-one! When I looked at the
> mailbox files, they were all very short. There were some attachments, but
> only 96MB of them.
>
> I tried quitting and restarting Eudora, rebooting the machine, and telling
> Mail to rebuild the mailboxes. Still no messages.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?

Nope. But FWIW I have exactly the same problem migrating the other way
too.

You might find these useful:

http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Mail_Scripts.html

http://homepage.mac.com/aamann/Eudora_Mailbox_Cleaner.html

--
Andy Hewitt **  FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> wrote:

> Having used Eudora for too many years, I now have a real mess in the
> references to attachments. [...]
>
> The main issue here is that I have moved Eudora to a new machine every few
> years, and the startup disk has typically had a new name. This in itself
> is not a big problem, and Eudora still seems able to find the files. (But
> it does leave the reference in the mailbox with the old disk's name.)
>
> However, the other part of the reference is the file serial number (inode
> number in Unix) which changes whenever the file is copied to another disk.
> [...]
>
> This time with my migration, I thought I would try to make Eudora clean up
> some of this mess by having Mail import the old mail, then having a new
> copy of Eudora import from Mail. [...]
>
> I kicked off Mail to import my Eudora mail, all 700MB of it (mainly
> attachments). 20 minutes later, it had finished. All the mailboxes were
> there. But there were no messages in them. Not-a-one! When I looked at the
> mailbox files, they were all very short. There were some attachments, but
> only 96MB of them.[...]
>
> Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?

Not a clue!  You might check at <http://www.emailman.com/> for utilities
that might help with the import from Eudora to Mail.

Since what you want is to have your mail in Eudora with the attachment
references cleaned up, you might be able to fix them manually.  (I'm not
convinced it would be worth the amount of work involved, but that's your
call.)  Eudora mailboxes are simple text files, so you can use a text
editor to manually edit them.  If you decide to go this route, work on a
copy--don't risk your originals!

ISTM there would be several steps involved. You'd need to find & replace
all references to old hard drives to the new hard drive name.  Then
you'd need to go through and change all the file numbers to the new
ones.  I think that would be pretty difficult.  It might be easier to
just add a link in each message to the current location/name of the
attachment.  I don't know what the URL would look like, but I'm sure
it's possible and maybe someone else here could suggest it.  You could
do that using a text editor, or from within Eudora by clicking on the
pencil icon in a message and then typing in the URL.

--
Kathy - read reviews of other newsgroups in news:news.groups.reviews
help for new users at <http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/>

0
kmorgan
11/29/2005 1:00:50 AM
> Since what you want is to have your mail in Eudora with the attachment
> references cleaned up, you might be able to fix them manually.  (I'm not
> convinced it would be worth the amount of work involved, but that's your
> call.)  Eudora mailboxes are simple text files, so you can use a text
> editor to manually edit them.  If you decide to go this route, work on a
> copy--don't risk your originals!

I have had a bit of a play doing this - it's not simple! You can edit things in
the mailbox file, but if you change the number of characters, this upsets the
table of contents (in the resource fork) so that some of your messages end up
with a question mark in the status field. If you just replace characters with
the same number of characters, it all seems ok.

In my case, the disk names have different lengths....

There might be a moral here that you should make sure your disk names are always
the same length :-)

Most of the problems I have are where the file names have been long. In this
case, Eudora substitutes a shorter form of the name which contains the file id,
eg,

Attachment converted:MacOSX-P:Static copy of Propos#C10EF.doc (WDBN/MSWD)
(000C10EF)

While the attachment is on the original disk, Eudora can look up the real name
using the file id. When you move it to a new disk, it'snot possible. :-(

Cheers

David
0
David
11/29/2005 2:05:00 AM
David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> wrote:

> Most of the problems I have are where the file names have been long. In
> this case, Eudora substitutes a shorter form of the name which contains
> the file id, eg,
>
> Attachment converted:MacOSX-P:Static copy of Propos#C10EF.doc (WDBN/MSWD)
> (000C10EF)
>
> While the attachment is on the original disk, Eudora can look up the real
> name using the file id. When you move it to a new disk, it's not possible.
> :-(

I have had to do this- after transferring the attachments from one Mac,
to another with an identical volume name. Word 5 (that I was using)
truncated some of the filenames; in fact I believe that any version of
Word before Word 2004 fails to handle long filenames correctly.

By changing the file name in the message (by using the 'pencil' method
on the file reference and saving the new message content) to match the
new filename, the link is restored.

Copying the new Mailbox and Mailbox.toc back from the copy machine to
the original (which I have to do to keep two copies of Eudora in sync)
the links are usually preserved, although very occasionally they fail
and I can't work out why.

The *final* solution has been to get a new copy of Word, rather than use
Word 5.1a which I've had for ten years and is simpler to use. The new
version works; the file names are easy to keep in sync and I no longer
need to use Classic. But I feel dirty at the idea of paying M$ money.
And for my own everyday use, Appleworks is actually nicer. Having Word
on the HD is just a way of coping with the inadequacies of the world.
--
Peter
0
Peter Ceresole <peter@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> in fact I believe that any version of
> Word before Word 2004 fails to handle long filenames correctly.

That is certainly true.
--
/Jon
For mail address, run the following in Terminal:
Peter Ceresole <peter@cara.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> And for my own everyday use, Appleworks is actually nicer. Having Word
> on the HD is just a way of coping with the inadequacies of the world.

I agree. I actually use TexttEdit form most of my everyday writing.
--
/Jon
For mail address, run the following in Terminal:
echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
see_signature
11/29/2005 8:06:43 AM
In article <davidmor-2602C8.23143628112005@duster.adelaide.on.net>,
 David Morrison <davidmor@excite.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea what may have happened?

Sorry, no.

As far as my experience goes Mail is a pretty toy but not a program I
would trust to handle my email. Once mailboxes reach a certain size your
mail will randomly disappear. Happened to quite a few colleagues of mine
more than once but they continue using it - it's sickening.

I have migrated Eudora many times between computers and have never lost
references to attachments. Make sure you place the Eudora Folder where
Eudora expects to find it, usually that's inside the Documents folder.
After that all it takes is to select your attachments folder when
prompted during the first start-up.

Cheers  Martin

--
To reply remove the waste bin.
0

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Exporting Eudora mail *with* attachements (Eudora -> Mozilla mail)
For compatibility reasons (I'm using a dual-boot PC with Linux and Windows, and found a way to share Mozilla (1.7.2) between both platforms)I've moved away from Eudora over to Mozilla to handle all my mail needs. I've found a (cumbersome and slow) way to import Eudora MBOX format mailboxes into Mozilla, but this doesn't include attachements. In Eudora each message seems to have a file-path which points to the attachement, while in Mozilla the attachement is included in the message itself, encoded in BASE-64. How can I convert Eudora mailboxes to include t...

Import mail archives from Eudora 6 for Windows to Eudora 6 for Mac
Good morning/evening everyone ! I am a french user of Eudora, and I encounter this problem : I precedently used Eudora on a Windows plateform ; and now I have bought a Macintosh (^-^) and I would want to recover my mail archives on the Macintosh. Is there a way to import these archives from the Eudora version which is installed on Windows, to the Mac Version ? Thank you for your help (and sorry, really, for my very bad english :/ ) Nakaori In <BBDC2EFB.936F%mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> Mad Youri <mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> wrote: > Good morning/evening ev...

Getting Eudora Mail to Apple Mail from A Different Computer
i have tons of email in my Eudora program on my old iMac which i need to transfer somehow into my Apple email program on my Powerbook. can someone PLEASE tell me how best to do this? i created a network between the Powerbook and the iMac but when i opened the Eudora program on the iMac, there were no messages in it. however, as soon as i disconnected the network, i was able to see all the mail in the iMac Eudora program. i have no idea why. perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain and also how to transfer all this stuff. thanx. Hi, > i have tons of email in my E...

Importing Mail/Address book to Eudora from Mail app
As per the header. What I can't seem to do is using the Import command from within Eudora is to import the contents of my Mac Address Book into Eudora. Also importing mailboxes, for some reason Eudora duplicates them into 2 lots of mailboxes, most likely from when I used to run 2 accounts in Mail. Is there any way of merging the 2 boxes into 1? I'm using a G5 iMac Power PC. Thank you, Peter P.S. Please note that the e-mail address given is a spam trap. My correct e-mail address is peterNOSPAM@pfjames.NOTHANKS.co.uk Remove the obvious to reply -- He spoke wit...

Importing existing mail from Outlook2002 or Eudora 6 to Pegasus-mail?
Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to have access to my mail archives? Best Regards Jan Erik Frithjofsen On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen <jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to > have access to my mail archives? > > Best Regards > Jan Erik Frithjofsen > If you are using Outlook2002 with MsExchange and therefore Windows Messaging (aka MAPI) then I have a utility (PM2MSM32) you may be interested in. To migrate Eudora messages,...

importing from apple mail to eudora
I tried to import from apple mail and I used the eudora option in the menu toolbar but -even if I got a message that the importing was successful- I didn't find the messages from mail mailboxes. The operation was too much quick. I have the applemail folders in the same account, so I can't uderstand why it doesn't work. OS tier 10.4.11 - eudora 6.2.4 - mail 2.1.3 thanks ociciornie <alberto.fermi@iol.it> wrote: > I tried to import from apple mail and I used the eudora option in the > menu toolbar but -even if I got a message that the importing was >...

Import my old Apple Mail emails into my current Apple Mail
I have a backup of Apple Mail emails that I want to import into my current Apple Mail setup without overwriting what I have set up now. Is this possible? ...

Question about importing Eudora mail into Eudora 6.2
I just downloaded Eudora 6.2 and want it to import all the settings and mail from my old Eudora 4.2 OS 8.x program. It came with a import feature, but it would only work if I was using a later Eudora as my version was too old. Back in 2001 In tried Eudora 5.x or whatever version was latest at that time, but for some reason did not like it, or perhaps did not want to pay the money, so I removed it. Eudora 6.2 when installed copied all the Eudora 5.x settings and mail it so appears. Even though I am know running OS X, and I was then running OS 9.1. When I moved to OSX I did copy my...

How to transfer mail from Eudora to Eudora?
I need to transfer Eudors mail from one computer to another. Sometimes from my Powerbook 3400c/8.6/Eudora light to my PM 7200/8.6/Eudora Light, sometimes between Mac computers when I am upgrading to a 'new' computer. Is there an easy way way to transfer individual e-mails or the complete file between computers, preferably using zip disks? -- Free men own guns, slaves don't www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/ In article <nhull-D259DD.06454907112005@news1.east.earthlink.net>, Nick Hull <nhull@access4less.net> wrote: > I need to transfer Eudors ma...

importing mail from Mail.app?
5.2.1 paid OSX 10.2.6 iMac 800 flat-screen OK, now that I've finally switched back to Eudora from Mail.app, can anyone suggest a painless way to import all that email I've accumulated in Mail over into Eudora? The Eudora manual only discusses Outlook Express, and my Googling has proved fruitless, as has searching thru the postings in this group. I seem to remember a nifty program to take mail in the other direction! Thanks again, rudi overit <baying@themoon.com> wrote: > 5.2.1 paid > OSX 10.2.6 > iMac 800 flat-screen > > OK, now that...

Netscape Mail To (Apple) Mail
I am debating changing e-mail clients to mail (which comes with Panther). I think that I won't have much trouble moving addresses. But, I have used Netscape for many years, and the bigger issue is all of these folders with all of these messages in them. Is this an easy thing to move over? Or will I have to leave one foot in Netscape, in case I want to go back and look at some old e-mail? BTW, is the moving of e-mail addresses as smooth as I expect it is going to be? Any other little details that might disturb me in making this move? -- -----+----->>>>joe Obrin ...

Web resources about - Importing Eudora mail into Apple Mail - comp.mail.eudora.mac

Facebook Expands Feed Connect (er, Feed Importing) to More Sites
About six weeks ago, Facebook launched Feed Importing for the first time, allowing users to connect their Facebook accounts to Flickr, Yelp, ...

YouTube - iPad importing photos from floppy disk.
You are using an outdated browser, which YouTube no longer supports. Since some features on YouTube may not work, you are viewing a lightweight ...

Thousands sign petition urging an end importing of primates for medical research
... inquiry has revealed horrific practices in the name of medical research. A petition with more than 14,000 signatures calling for a ban on importing ...

Importing fuel will prove better for the consumer
Importing fuel will prove better for the consumer

Former supervisor at Victoria's desalination plant jailed for importing marketable quantity of cocaine ...
A former supervisor at Victoria's $4 billion desalination plant who&nbsp;snorted cocaine he imported from Mexico to feed his habit and sell,&nbsp;cope ...

Importing nannies is not the right solution for Australia's childcare crisis
Migrant domestic workers: is that the answer for Australia or is it exploitation?

Mark Clermont sentenced to life in jail for importing drugs worth $260 million inside road roller
A judge has praised police for preventing cocaine and methylamphetamine with a street value of $260 million reaching the streets of Sydney and ...

Hong Kong man charged with importing 150kg of crystal methamphetamine into Sydney
A Hong Kong national is charged with importing 150 kilograms of ice following a joint-agency investigation in Sydney.

Man, 91, charged with importing cocaine hidden in soap boxes into Australia
A 91-year-old Sydney man has been charged with importing cocaine hidden in soap into Australia, prompting police to warn travellers to beware ...

Adobe updates Photoshop Express for Android with blemish removal tool, RAW importing, more
Adobe has actively been rolling out new and powerful tools for mobile platforms in recent months including Lightroom Mobile for iPad followed ...