OS X 10.6.2 / Eudora 6.2.4 - Error messages "Server not responding. 706" and "Lost connection to server. 37:418'

Hi,
I have never done this before and I am just about desperate to get
eudora functioning
again.  I have used eudora for @15 years and it suits my needs
perfectly.  Although I
have had issues in the past something occurred in mid-November which I
have not been
able to resolve and, in the process, messed up some settings.  No one
that I know
knows how to correct this so I am hoping one of you might.

So, around mid-November I suddenly was not able to send an e-mail
using eudora.  One
of the error messages I keep getting is  "Server not responding.
706".  Another is "Lost
connection to the server.  37:418" then I have an option to go
offline.

I initially was able to send e-mails.

I manage three e-mail addresses through eudora - one earthlink account
and two others
w/business domains.  I had set it up so I could receive and send for
all three w/each ac-
count's mail going to their specific send and receive mailboxes.  (The
earthlink account
used imap setting but the business ones were pop accounts because I
couldn't find  a
way to change the port for them and the default port did not work.)

Then (sorry for this mini-drama), when I went to "send" settings to
address this latest prob-
lem with sending e-mails I must have changed something and I now can't
receive or send
e-mails on one account.  A tech support guy I use directed me to find
the "empath" (I think -
know I'm forgetting the exact name) setting in the Eudora library
folder but it was missing.
We then downloaded and re-installed eudora and the setting still
didn't appear.

For what it's worth, I think eudora is perfect when functioning
properly.  I have tried various
other programs, including Thunderbird, but I really want to get eudora
functioning again.

Thank you!
Christine
0
cmcacace (1)
1/2/2010 3:36:15 AM
comp.mail.eudora.mac 2042 articles. 0 followers. dcohenspam (237) is leader. Post Follow

Christine <cmcacace@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, around mid-November I suddenly was not able to send an e-mail using
> eudora.  One of the error messages I keep getting is  "Server not
> responding. 706".  Another is "Lost connection to the server.  37:418"
> then I have an option to go offline.

Assuming that the other settings are correct, "Server not responding"
could be an indication of a slow Internet connection or sluggish mail
server and you need Eudora to keep trying longer before it gives up.  If
you have the Esoteric Settings plugin enabled, you can make the time
before giving up longer in the Timeouts pane of the Settings.  If you
don't have the Esoteric Settings plugin enabled, you'll need to do that.

Enabling the Esoteric Settings plugin is a little more difficult to do
in 10.6.x than it was in previous versions of the OS.  Quit Eudora, then
go to the Finder, control-click on the Eudora Application icon, and
select "Show package contents." Drill down through the Contents folder
to find the Plugins folders.  Move the Esoteric Settings plugin from the
Plugins Disabled into the Plugins folder and restart Eudora.  I've got
my "Response from server" bumped all the way up to 225, which I think is
just shy of 4 minutes.

> I initially was able to send e-mails.
>
> I manage three e-mail addresses through eudora - one earthlink account and
> two others w/business domains.  I had set it up so I could receive and
> send for all three w/each ac- count's mail going to their specific send
> and receive mailboxes.  (The earthlink account used imap setting but the
> business ones were pop accounts because I couldn't find  a way to change
> the port for them and the default port did not work.)

You can change the port using an x-eudora-setting, but I don't remember
which one.  Someone posted it here a couple of months ago...let's
see...(rifling through old posts)...Oh, it's been longer than I
remembered, and it's really a long post so I won't quote it here, but
it's well worth reading.  It includes an even simpler way to specify the
port.  It was in a post by John H Meyers 10 months ago, Message ID
<op.uqfdwhvwnn735j@miu.edu>.  Since you're using Google to post with,
just go to the advanced search and get the post by entering the message
ID.

> Then (sorry for this mini-drama), when I went to "send" settings to
> address this latest prob- lem with sending e-mails I must have changed
> something and I now can't receive or send e-mails on one account.  A tech
> support guy I use directed me to find the "empath" (I think - know I'm
> forgetting the exact name) setting in the Eudora library folder but it was
> missing.

I'm guessing that maybe he was looking for something found on Windows
Eudora maybe.

If the problem is with an AT&T mail server, look for the post from John
H Meyers, also from 10 months ago, with subject "AT&T Settings" or "AT&T
settings problem explained."  If the server is a Comcast server, check
for his article "Comcast settings" of the same vintage.

> We then downloaded and re-installed eudora and the setting still
> didn't appear.

Nope.  That's a solution that might work on a Windows box but not on a
Mac.  Windows apparently loses things, but the Mac doesn't.  It might be
that you have a corrupted Settings file, but try other solutions first
before rebuilding the Settings; that's a cure that's almost worse than
the problem.  If the other ideas don't work, post back; we'll come up
with other suggestions and I'll give instructions for rebuilding the
Settings.

--
Kathy
GoogleGroups is such an awful interface for reading news that I'm
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 21:36:15 -0600, Christine wrote:

[that something unknown went wrong and can't send mail]

Imagine that you have a brand new computer,
and are setting up specs for mail servers.

You get the specific info for each server
(server name, port number, SSL yes/no, username format),
and from that simple info alone,
you can make all the necessary settings
in Eudora or any other email program.

If we don't know that info, we can't supply
any specific settings to make or restore in Eudora,
but we can supply general instructions
to take those few items for each server,
as you can obtain directly from your own ISP and vendors,
and set Eudora to match them.  For example:

"Eudora settings for servers"
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=3D42122

If some server (generally only a web hosting company's,
where the company is still in the dark ages :)
uses a non-standard port number, Macintosh Eudora
may accept a port number as part of the server name, e.g.

SMTP server:   smtp.weird.hosting.co:2525

Aside from what we've said above, Eudora also permits you
to designate any personality as being a default mail sender; that is,
to route all outgoing mail though that personality's SMTP server
(after all, you can drop off all personal and/or business mail
together, at any post office -- no need to mail letters "from home"
only at a post office in that neighborhood -- and the same is true for e=
mail).

To do that, you select the default sender under "Sending Mail" options,
and you turn on the "Use relay" setting for all personalities
which you want to use that single default sender's outgoing server.

Since you have a Gmail account, you can even arrange to use Gmail's
SMTP server (defined in a Gmail account personality of its own)
to be that default sender (there are just a few details to set up
at Gmail first -- ask if you want to know them).

Or use your main ISP as the default "post office" for dropping outgoing =
mail;
this works for all but the few "idiot" ISPs who refuse to let mail be se=
nt
unless its return address is an email account of that same ISP.

-- =
0
John