Can't send "To", only "Reply"

My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
0
jetjock

jetjock <jetjock@hanger.com> wrote:

>My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
>when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
>specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
>an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.
>
>Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Not without knowing what the exact error message was and
assurance that your daughter entered an email address in the
"To:" field of the email she composed in Eudora.

Troubleshooting via third parties can be troublesome, as in the
present case.  We don't know what she told you, exactly.  We
don't know what troubleshooting you already went through with her
- such as the latter part of my first sentence.  Did you ask her
that?  Or about copying down the exact error message?

In troubleshooting, as in a lot of other things, the devil is in
the details.  You/your daughter haven't given us very many.

--
OJ III
0

> My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
> when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
> specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
> an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this?

"A picture is worth a thousand words,"
so get a complete screen shot of the message,
at which point it may be obvious at a glance.

Listing everything which might ever fail
could fill a book, while declaring the cause
of an actual case before ones eyes may take one sentence.

John
3/17/2008 11:26:37 PM
On Mar 17, 11:12 am, jetjock <jetj...@hanger.com> wrote:
> My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
> when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
> specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
> an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.
>
> Any ideas on what could be causing this?

      What exactly is she trying to do?  No mail client will send mail
if there is not a recipient in the To field. Has she entered an
address there and the program still won't send it?

Richard Knoppow
dickburk@ix.netcom.com
0
Richard
3/18/2008 1:24:16 PM
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:24:16 -0700 (PDT), Richard Knoppow
<dickburk@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Mar 17, 11:12 am, jetjock <jetj...@hanger.com> wrote:
>> My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
>> when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
>> specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
>> an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.
>>
>> Any ideas on what could be causing this?
>
>      What exactly is she trying to do?  No mail client will send mail
>if there is not a recipient in the To field. Has she entered an
>address there and the program still won't send it?
>
>Richard Knoppow
>dickburk@ix.netcom.com

To all who have replied; thanks!  I have forwarded your responses to
my daughter and am awaiting more info from her, but I can answer one
thing.  She has entered an address in the "To" field, but she said
that Eudora still told her she must "specify a recipient".  I'll pass
on further info as I get it.

Thanks again!
0
jetjock
3/18/2008 4:40:54 PM
On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:12:34 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@hanger.com> wrote:

>My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
>when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
>specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
>an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.
>
>Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Try an experiment:

What happens when your daughter copies the address in a reply and pastes
it in a new message?   Is Eudora still choking on that?
--

Ajo Wissink

Ajo
3/18/2008 6:23:00 PM
On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:40:54 -0500, jetjock <jetjock@hanger.com>
declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows:

> To all who have replied; thanks!  I have forwarded your responses to
> my daughter and am awaiting more info from her, but I can answer one
> thing.  She has entered an address in the "To" field, but she said
> that Eudora still told her she must "specify a recipient".  I'll pass
> on further info as I get it.

	If she's typing a "view name" and does NOT have an address book
entry equating that name to an email address, Eudora may not consider it
a recipient (though my test had Eudora append the default domain and try
sending -- which was rejected by the server as a mal-formed address)
--
	Wulfraed	Dennis Lee Bieber		KD6MOG
	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com		wulfraed@bestiaria.com

OP's daughter might start a new message,
manually type in her _own_ address after "To:"
then send message.

Just "To: username@someisp.net" [example]

If this gives no trouble but another message does,
what would be the most likely general explanation?

John
3/19/2008 6:32:18 AM
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:32:18 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhmeyers@nomail.invalid>   wrote:

>Another experiment:
>
>OP's daughter might start a new message,
>manually type in her _own_ address after "To:"
>then send message.
>
>Just "To: username@someisp.net" [example]
>
>If this gives no trouble but another message does,
>what would be the most likely general explanation?

I was thinking of something going wrong with the typing, resulting in
something that Eudora doesn't recognize as a valid addresss.  Ergo, the
suggestion of copying and pasting.
--

Ajo Wissink

Ajo
3/19/2008 2:04:16 PM
wrote:

>My daughter has Eudora 6.2 in paid mode on XP Home.  She tells me that
>when she tries to send an email "To" someone, Eudora says she must
>specify a recipient and will not send it.  The only way she can send
>an email is to use "Reply" to an existing message.
>
>Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks again to those who tried to help.  Your responses got her to
look more closely at the error message, and from that I was able to
determine she had a bad address book entry.  Once that was removed she
was able to "send" again.  Proves again that many minds are better
than one!
0
jetjock
3/19/2008 4:32:45 PM
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:32:45 -0500:

> Your responses got her to look more closely at the error message,
> and from that I was able to determine she had a bad address book entry.

Indeed, if an Address Book entry has no addresses at all in it,
then the rather explicit complete error message is:

  "A message must have a recipient (To: or Bcc: field)
  before it can be queued.  Make sure that you aren't specifying
  an address book entry that has an empty Address(es) field."

This message is identical even in ancient Eudora version 3.0.6,
so it appears to have been thoughtfully designed, long ago,
to inescapably pinpoint the specific cause, immediately upon reading.

If the option "Automaticaly expand nicknames" is check-marked,
the result would be equally obvious, by the "expansion"
of the empty nickname into an empty "To:" field,
but the above message itself is equally obvious,
if the busy user has the few seconds' patience
to actually read it :)

But young ladies may have other things on their minds,
and no time for such details :)

John
3/19/2008 7:08:46 PM
"The light blinded you?"

"The red light blinded you?"

"I see -- the flashing red light on the car you hit blinded you!"

  - Bob Newhart, "The Driving Instructor"

http://monologues.co.uk/Bob_Newhart/Driving_Instructor.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Button-Down_Mind_of_Bob_Newhart

John

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"out" and "in out"

why "::", not "."

"my" and "our"

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

about "++" and "--"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"or" and "and"

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirements below. Title: Database/ETL Developer Duration: 6 months Location: NY Exp: 7+ Locals preferred Database/ETL requirements (Mandatory) Candidate must have worked with financial instruments, preferably Mutual Funds but, Equities are also ok. PL/SQL - packages, Stored procs, Functions, Aggregate functions, Pipelined Functions Informatica 8.6 - especially complex mappings, complex maplets, complex workflows, transformations Oracle 10g/11g Unix/Linux shell scripting Database/ETL requirements (Optional) ...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

Web resources about - Can't send "To", only "Reply" - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows