Cannot Get To Mail in My yorkere@sbcglobal.net ; Eudora Keeps Reporting No Mail...

Group:

Using Eudora version 7.1.0.9; my Dominant is yorker@yorker.delta.net,
and my other account is yorkere@sbcglobal.net...at yahoo.com

All of a sudden Eudora keeps reporting there is no mail from
yorkere@sbcglobal.net, but when I go into that account using my
browser, at ATT.net, there is mail, which I can access using my
FireFox.

There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "yorkere@yahoo.com vice
yorkere@sbcglobal.net.

Does this mean I need to get into the "personality" for SBC Yahoo.mail
and change things from yorkere@sbcglobal.net to yorkere@yahoo.com?

Any help with this is HUGELY appreciated!

Robert

0
Robert

On May 19, 9:41=A0pm, Robert <yorkere@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Group:
>
> Using Eudora version 7.1.0.9; my Dominant is yorker@yorker.delta.net,
> and my other account is yorkere@sbcglobal.net...at yahoo.com
>
> All of a sudden Eudora keeps reporting there is no mail from
> yorkere@sbcglobal.net, but when I go into that account using my
> browser, at ATT.net, there is mail, which I can access using my
> FireFox.
>
> There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
> Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "yorkere@yahoo.com vice
> yorkere@sbcglobal.net.
>
> Does this mean I need to get into the "personality" for SBC Yahoo.mail
> and change things from yorkere@sbcglobal.net to yorkere@yahoo.com?
>
> Any help with this is HUGELY appreciated!
>
> Robert

Please note:  I did try to change the personality settings, but when I
tried to get in, a password dialog box showed up and when I entered my
password, it was rejected...I then changed the account settings back
to what they were, and I can get in, but again with no mail
supposedly...

Robert
0
Robert
5/20/2011 4:55:23 AM
On May 19, 9:55=A0pm, Robert <york...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On May 19, 9:41=A0pm, Robert <york...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

> > Group:
>
> > Using Eudora version 7.1.0.9; my Dominant is yor...@yorker.delta.net,
> > and my other account is york...@sbcglobal.net...at yahoo.com
>
> > All of a sudden Eudora keeps reporting there is no mail from
> > york...@sbcglobal.net, but when I go into that account using my
> > browser, at ATT.net, there is mail, which I can access using my
> > FireFox.
>
> > There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
> > Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "york...@yahoo.com vice
> > york...@sbcglobal.net.
>
> > Does this mean I need to get into the "personality" for SBC Yahoo.mail
> > and change things from york...@sbcglobal.net to york...@yahoo.com?
>
> > Any help with this is HUGELY appreciated!
>
> > Robert
>
> Please note: =A0I did try to change the personality settings, but when I
> tried to get in, a password dialog box showed up and when I entered my
> password, it was rejected...I then changed the account settings back
> to what they were, and I can get in, but again with no mail
> supposedly...
>
> Robert

Another update:  I sent myself a test message to my Yahoo account
using the original personality name; it went through.  Then when I
used Eudora to check the mail, it got through and downloaded it to me!

Can anyone help with this weird stuff?

Robert
0
Robert
5/20/2011 5:06:08 AM
On 5/19/2011 11:41 PM, Robert wrote:

> There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
> Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "yorkere@yahoo.com vice
> yorkere@sbcglobal.net.

Do you mean "there was a message from _sbcglobal.net_
about their having transferred their mail operations to Yahoo"?

When you get a letter from your ISP containing specific instructions,
it might be good to study it carefully, to understand what they are telling you,
before asking us to explain what to do about the undisclosed contents of your letter,
since we don't have that letter, and probably are not customers of your ISP.

http://promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html (see item "C")
might be what it's about, but why keep us guessing
when you have an explicit letter in your own hand,
which no doubt tells you exactly what's happening,
and also exactly what to do about it.

To summarize what I just said as an "old saying":

"If at first you don't succeed, read the directions."  ;-)

If you need help in following the directions,
try clearly posting exactly what they have told you to do,
which would then be a specific basis
for our helping you to adjust your Eudora settings.

John
5/20/2011 5:42:58 AM
On May 19, 10:42=A0pm, John H Meyers <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On 5/19/2011 11:41 PM, Robert wrote:
>
> > There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
> > Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "york...@yahoo.com vice
> > york...@sbcglobal.net.
>
> Do you mean "there was a message from _sbcglobal.net_
> about their having transferred their mail operations to Yahoo"?
>
> When you get a letter from your ISP containing specific instructions,
> it might be good to study it carefully, to understand what they are telli=
ng you,
> before asking us to explain what to do about the undisclosed contents of =
your letter,
> since we don't have that letter, and probably are not customers of your I=
SP.

> http://promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html(see item "C")
> might be what it's about, but why keep us guessing
> when you have an explicit letter in your own hand,
> which no doubt tells you exactly what's happening,
> and also exactly what to do about it.
>
> To summarize what I just said as an "old saying":
>
> "If at first you don't succeed, read the directions." =A0;-)
>
> If you need help in following the directions,
> try clearly posting exactly what they have told you to do,
> which would then be a specific basis
> for our helping you to adjust your Eudora settings.
>
> --

John:

Thank you so much for responding; the reason I have not included the
message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
Yahoo.mail, is that I tried sending that message from my sbcglobal.net
account to my other ISP account...it did NOT get through, and the
message was deleted when I had tried to send it...I'd made a hard
copy; it just stated "In the coming months, we will ask you to upgrade
to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail for your account
yorkere@yahoo.com.  All Yahoo! Mail customers will be asked to
upgrade.  But in the meantime, you don't have to wait, you can have
the newest Yahoo! Mail today."

Thank you for providing the link to the information at "http://
promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html(see item "C")".  I've taken a
look at it, and will try to figure out what to do...

The short-lived (I hope) difficulty in retrieving mail with Eudora may
not have anything to do with this coming transition; apparently it
will take place over a couple of months or so...

Robert
0
Robert
5/20/2011 6:08:13 PM
Robert <yorkere@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> On May 19, 10:42�pm, John H Meyers <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>> On 5/19/2011 11:41 PM, Robert wrote:
>>
>> > There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
>> > Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "york...@yahoo.com vice
>> > york...@sbcglobal.net.
>>
>> Do you mean "there was a message from _sbcglobal.net_
>> about their having transferred their mail operations to Yahoo"?
>>
>> When you get a letter from your ISP containing specific instructions,
>> it might be good to study it carefully, to understand what they are
>> telling you,
>> before asking us to explain what to do about the undisclosed contents
>> of your letter,
>> since we don't have that letter, and probably are not customers of
>> your ISP.
>>
>> http://promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html(see item "C")
>> might be what it's about, but why keep us guessing
>> when you have an explicit letter in your own hand,
>> which no doubt tells you exactly what's happening,
>> and also exactly what to do about it.
>>
>> To summarize what I just said as an "old saying":
>>
>> "If at first you don't succeed, read the directions." �;-)
>>
>> If you need help in following the directions,
>> try clearly posting exactly what they have told you to do,
>> which would then be a specific basis
>> for our helping you to adjust your Eudora settings.
>>
>> --
>
> John:
>
> Thank you so much for responding; the reason I have not included the
> message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
> Yahoo.mail, is that I tried sending that message from my sbcglobal.net
> account to my other ISP account...it did NOT get through, and the
> message was deleted when I had tried to send it...I'd made a hard
> copy; it just stated "In the coming months, we will ask you to upgrade
> to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail for your account
> yorkere@yahoo.com.  All Yahoo! Mail customers will be asked to
> upgrade.  But in the meantime, you don't have to wait, you can have
> the newest Yahoo! Mail today."
>
> Thank you for providing the link to the information at "http://
> promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html(see item "C")".  I've taken a
> look at it, and will try to figure out what to do...
>
> The short-lived (I hope) difficulty in retrieving mail with Eudora may
> not have anything to do with this coming transition; apparently it
> will take place over a couple of months or so...
>
> Robert

I've had no problem with my (direct) yahoo.com email address.  My Eudora
is now set to use:
plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com for incomeing and
outgoing emails.

--
Best regards
Han
On May 20, 11:20=A0am, Han <nob...@nospam.not> wrote:
> Robert <york...@sbcglobal.net> wrote innews:a9d946eb-2fd7-4e39-881b-ccca0=
af1e0cc@r27g2000prr.googlegroups.com:

> >> Do you mean "there was a message from _sbcglobal.net_
> >> about their having transferred their mail operations to Yahoo"?
>
> >> When you get a letter from your ISP containing specific instructions,
> >> it might be good to study it carefully, to understand what they are
> >> telling you,
> >> before asking us to explain what to do about the undisclosed contents
> >> of your letter,
> >> since we don't have that letter, and probably are not customers of
> >> your ISP.
>
> >>http://promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html(seeitem "C")
> >> might be what it's about, but why keep us guessing
> >> when you have an explicit letter in your own hand,
> >> which no doubt tells you exactly what's happening,
> >> and also exactly what to do about it.
>
> >> To summarize what I just said as an "old saying":
>
> >> "If at first you don't succeed, read the directions." =A0;-)
>
> >> If you need help in following the directions,
> >> try clearly posting exactly what they have told you to do,
> >> which would then be a specific basis
> >> for our helping you to adjust your Eudora settings.
>
> >> --
>
> > John:
>
> > Thank you so much for responding; the reason I have not included the
> > message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of
> > Yahoo.mail, is that I tried sending that message from my sbcglobal.net
> > account to my other ISP account...it did NOT get through, and the
> > message was deleted when I had tried to send it...I'd made a hard
> > copy; it just stated "In the coming months, we will ask you to upgrade
> > to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail for your account
> > york...@yahoo.com. =A0All Yahoo! Mail customers will be asked to
> > upgrade. =A0But in the meantime, you don't have to wait, you can have
> > the newest Yahoo! Mail today."
>
> > Thank you for providing the link to the information at "http://
> > promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html(see item "C")". =A0I've taken =
> > look at it, and will try to figure out what to do...
>
> > The short-lived (I hope) difficulty in retrieving mail with Eudora may
> > not have anything to do with this coming transition; apparently it
> > will take place over a couple of months or so...
>
> > Robert
>
> I've had no problem with my (direct) yahoo.com email address. =A0My Eudor=
> is now set to use:
> plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com for incomeing and
> outgoing emails.
>
> --
> Best regards
> Han
> email address is invalid

Han:

Thanks for your response; I noted that the email settings changes for
email clients other than "Outlook Express or Netscape Messenger 4.7X"
are shown in Item E5 of the "Frequently Asked Questions about your new
SBC Yahoo!=AE DSL Services" as:

"Your Email Address:
MemberID@... 	    Incoming (POP) 	                    Outgoing (SMTP)
ameritech.net 	 pop.ameritech.yahoo.com 	smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com
flash.net 	         pop.flash.yahoo.com 	        smtp.flash.yahoo.com
nvbell.net 	         pop.nvbell.yahoo.com
smtp.nvbell.yahoo.com
pacbell.net 	 pop.pacbell.yahoo.com 	        smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com
prodigy.net 	 pop.prodigy.yahoo.com 	        smtp.prodigy.yahoo.com
sbcglobal.net 	 pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
snet.net 	         pop.snet.yahoo.com
smtp.snet.yahoo.com
swbell.net 	         pop.swbell.yahoo.com
smtp.swbell.yahoo.com
wans.net 	         pop.wans.yahoo.com 	        smtp.wans.yahoo.com"

Your settings differ from any of the above; I assume that's due to
your original email address being different; did Yahoo provide you
with your incoming & outgoing settings?  I assume they did, at your
request?

Robert
0
Robert
5/21/2011 7:46:38 PM

> [...]
> (SMTP) ameritech.net       pop.ameritech.yahoo.com
> smtp.ameritech.yahoo.com flash.net               pop.flash.yahoo.com
>            smtp.flash.yahoo.com nvbell.net
> pop.nvbell.yahoo.com smtp.nvbell.yahoo.com
> pacbell.net       pop.pacbell.yahoo.com
> smtp.pacbell.yahoo.com prodigy.net       pop.prodigy.yahoo.com
>      smtp.prodigy.yahoo.com sbcglobal.net
> pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
> snet.net               pop.snet.yahoo.com
> smtp.snet.yahoo.com
> swbell.net               pop.swbell.yahoo.com
> smtp.swbell.yahoo.com
> wans.net               pop.wans.yahoo.com
> smtp.wans.yahoo.com"
>
> Your settings differ from any of the above; I assume that's due to
> your original email address being different; did Yahoo provide you
> with your incoming & outgoing settings?  I assume they did, at your

I pay yahoo (I think $20/yr) so my email @yahoo.com can be accessed by
pop and/or imap clients, and there are no ads.  My address isn't going
through sbc, or whatever you may have.  I think the new thing is the
"plus" in my server addresses.

I know this is different from you.  It's just that after I had to give up
my compuserve address, I got verizon addresses and they are like spam-
traps.  In order to be able to just change ISP if and when the time
comes, I have a yahoo address and a gmail address.  Of the 2, I prefer
gmail (not only because it is free).  Many people will eventually regret
being stuck with a service provider's email, since they may at some point
want to change ISP.
--
Best regards
Han
On 5/21/2011 2:46 PM, Robert wrote:

> I noted that the email settings changes for
> email clients other than "Outlook Express or Netscape Messenger 4.7X"
> are shown in Item E5 of the "Frequently Asked Questions about your new
> SBC Yahoo! DSL Services"

Yes, after choosing "E" from here and then scrolling down:

<http://promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html>

What you see is:

<http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7237/sbcyah02.jpg>

See also items 6 & 7 (not included in above image).

However, do we know the answers to these:

o Does the above apply to you?
(are you subscribed to SBC Yahoo! DSL Services?)

o Did you "activate" your account
and then adjust your server names (and SSL choices) in Eudora?

> "In the coming months, we will ask you to upgrade
> to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail for your account
> york...@yahoo.com.  All Yahoo! Mail customers will be asked to
> upgrade.  But in the meantime, you don't have to wait, you can have
> the newest Yahoo! Mail today."

This appears to be a Yahoo announcement about using their new
_web interface_ and seems to be irrelevant to SBC.

So, the situation as I thus far understand it, is that
SBC and/or Yahoo are communicating with you about something,
and because the above (irrelevant to Eudora) info
is all that I yet see posted, I still have no idea
whether it is supposed to affect anything in Eudora for you,
so the matter seems to be one of [non?]communication of any details
between SBC, Yahoo, and you, not shared with us
(including any change of password, if such was involved).

If and when you do ever find out what they've told you to do,
then it should be easy to enter that into Eudora.

It's like opening a safe -- without knowing the right numbers,
it's a long, difficult task, requiring trying up to a million combinations,
but as soon as you find the slip which comes with the safe,
with the right numbers printed on it, opening it will take only seconds.

John
5/23/2011 10:32:01 PM
On May 23, 3:32=A0pm, John H Meyers <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On 5/21/2011 2:46 PM, Robert wrote:
>
> > I noted that the email settings changes for
> > email clients other than "Outlook Express or Netscape Messenger 4.7X"
> > are shown in Item E5 of the "Frequently Asked Questions about your new
> > SBC Yahoo! DSL Services"
>
> Yes, after choosing "E" from here and then scrolling down:
>
> <http://promo.sbcglobal.net/sbcyahoodsl/faq.html>
>
> What you see is:
>
> <http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7237/sbcyah02.jpg>
>
> See also items 6 & 7 (not included in above image).
>
> However, do we know the answers to these:
>
> o Does the above apply to you?
> (are you subscribed to SBC Yahoo! DSL Services?)
>
> o Did you "activate" your account
> and then adjust your server names (and SSL choices) in Eudora?
>
> > "In the coming months, we will ask you to upgrade
> > to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail for your account
> > york...@yahoo.com. =A0All Yahoo! Mail customers will be asked to
> > upgrade. =A0But in the meantime, you don't have to wait, you can have
> > the newest Yahoo! Mail today."
>
> This appears to be a Yahoo announcement about using their new
> _web interface_ and seems to be irrelevant to SBC.
>
> So, the situation as I thus far understand it, is that
> SBC and/or Yahoo are communicating with you about something,
> and because the above (irrelevant to Eudora) info
> is all that I yet see posted, I still have no idea
> whether it is supposed to affect anything in Eudora for you,
> so the matter seems to be one of [non?]communication of any details
> between SBC, Yahoo, and you, not shared with us
> (including any change of password, if such was involved).
>
> If and when you do ever find out what they've told you to do,
> then it should be easy to enter that into Eudora.
>
> It's like opening a safe -- without knowing the right numbers,
> it's a long, difficult task, requiring trying up to a million combination=
s,
> but as soon as you find the slip which comes with the safe,
> with the right numbers printed on it, opening it will take only seconds.
>
> --

John:

Just tried to post a reply; for some reason it didn't get
through...I'll try again.

Just got off the phone with a rep at ATT (Philippines); the advice was
that no changes need to be made at all with Eudora settings....this is
contradictory to the changes supposedly required by  <http://
img695.imageshack.us/img695/7237/sbcyah02.jpg>...But Part A.1.A of the
Yahoo FAQ also does state that "your email address stays the same"...

At any rate, I think I'll wait awhile before I make this
transition...I've learned to be cautious with this kind of stuff, and
I'm in no mood to be having to cope with any weird little glitches
that may decide to pop up...as an example, Yahoo refers to me as
"yorkere@yahoo.com"; out of curiosity I tried checking mail using this
as a Dominant address...got a dialog box for password.  When entered,
it was rejected....so, back to the correct address...

Anyway, thanks for the help!

Robert
0
Robert
5/24/2011 8:33:42 PM
On 5/24/2011 3:33 PM, Robert wrote:

> Just got off the phone with a rep at ATT (Philippines); the advice was
> that no changes need to be made at all with Eudora settings....this is
> contradictory to the changes supposedly required by...
[an "SBC Yahoo! DSL" help page which I picked myself from a web search,
not knowing whether or not this even matches your own service,
due to lack of any specific information that I've yet seen posted]

Hello, out there across an ocean:

Did you ever answer as to whether you are an "SBC Yahoo! DSL" subscriber?

Did you ever post the actual original instructions which you were given,
by SBC (or your actual ISP), for any email client at all?

This is like hearing on an aircraft radio band:
"hello, air traffic control -- I'm an unidentified plane,
location unknown, destination unknown -- can you please
give me instructions as to what altitude and heading to take?" :)

> Yahoo refers to me as "yorkere@yahoo.com";
> out of curiosity I tried checking mail
> using this as a Dominant address.
> Got a dialog box for password.

What you did can't really be what you just said.

I would wager that what you actually changed
wasn't (or wasn't just) "my email address,"
but was actually (or also) "my _username_"
(but still logging into a specific _old_ POP server
whose name you did _not_ correspondingly change)

When you change _either_ your username _or_ server name,
Eudora (or any client) normally asks you again for a password,
and if you have ended up with a combination of _username_
and _password_ that doesn't go with the _server name_
then it's no surprise to get rejected.

> When entered, [the old password] was rejected

No surprise, just as it would be no surprise
if that pilot stayed lost after setting some heading that he heard
the air traffic controller give to a flight bound for Paris,
while he was flying over a different ocean than that other flight :)

When you simply set the right username and right corresponding password,
for the right POP and SMTP servers, obtained from the right air traffic
(or SBC) controller handling your actual account, all will be fine,
whether in Eudora or any other client program,
all of which are equally simple for entering these few bits of information.

Call your ISP and get the _specific_ info for these three things
(never mind "for what email client"? -- this is _universal_ info
for _all_ clients -- even for viewing POP mail using web applications):

o POP server name
o Username
o Password

TEST those three specific things by logging in here:

http://mail2web.com -- IMPORTANT: _first_ click "Advanced login"
then fill in the three fields and select the POP3 protocol.

When that works and displays the mail waiting for you,
fill in the same exact info in Eudora,
plus the correct outgoing (SMTP) server name,
and you'll be all set.

John
5/26/2011 3:10:42 AM
On May 25, 8:10=A0pm, John H Meyers <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> [...]
> (or SBC) controller handling your actual account, all will be fine,
> whether in Eudora or any other client program,
> all of which are equally simple for entering these few bits of informatio=
n.

> Call your ISP and get the _specific_ info for these three things
> (never mind "for what email client"? -- this is _universal_ info
> for _all_ clients -- even for viewing POP mail using web applications):
>
> o POP server name
> o Username
> o Password
>
> TEST those three specific things by logging in here:
>
> http://mail2web.com-- IMPORTANT: _first_ click "Advanced login"
> then fill in the three fields and select the POP3 protocol.
>
> When that works and displays the mail waiting for you,
> fill in the same exact info in Eudora,
> plus the correct outgoing (SMTP) server name,

John:

I'm not yet a subscriber to SBC Yahoo! DSL; I'm subscribed to SBC
Internet Services....I will be switched when I decide to transition...

You are correct, what I changed was just my username, and nothing
else...!!

I'll wait awhile, before making this apparently forced transition to
SBC Yahoo! DSL...

Robert
0
Robert
5/27/2011 1:53:14 AM
On 5/26/2011 8:53 PM, Robert wrote:

> I'm not yet a subscriber to SBC Yahoo! DSL; I'm subscribed to SBC
> Internet Services....I will be switched when I decide to transition...

> I'll wait a while, before making this apparently forced transition
> to SBC Yahoo! DSL...

I remain unclear about where to look for information on the web,
if any, that might pertain to you, and might save the trouble
of our trying to get details directly from you.

I don't know everyone, nor all ISPs -- here's something interesting,
vaguely suggesting that it might relate to your "real" ISP,
but who would know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Internet_Services

Unless someone else is a customer of the same service that you are,
and knows whatever kind of change, merger, or whatever is going on,
you're the only source I have who could tell me what specific information
you were given, and I just don't yet seem to "get it," unfortunately.

I don't quite even understand whether you have any actual problem
in getting your current mail, or are just trying to plan ahead;
this might be because there's so much going on that I'm not
a "good listener," but that can easily be corrected
by summarizing what's up in any current posting, so that I
(or anyone) need not go way back and try to review
everything from the past, which I'm just too lazy to do :)

All I know is that three related pieces of information
are all that's needed to connect you to any POP account,
for downloading mail:

o POP server name
o Username
o Password

I used to also ask about the port number (and SSL),
but if anyone tells me a pop server name,
I can quickly find out myself which of two ports it's
listening to, and whether or not it offers or requires SSL.

http://mail2web.com (with "Advanced Login")
also seems to be able to do the same for you directly,
so the remaining info above is enough for you to know,
and if you need help with Eudora settings,
only the server name need be shared in postings here,
for us to detect whatever else we need to know about the server itself.

Now I guess it's time for me to put on whatever little apron and hat
a McDonald's, Burger King, or other fast food counter person
is supposed to wear, and ask "what's your order"?

If you haven't a specific order ready to place,
then what else is there for us to do than say ok, who's next?

John
5/27/2011 10:17:45 AM
On May 27, 3:17=A0am, John H Meyers <jhmey...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 8:53 PM, Robert wrote:
>
> > I'm not yet a subscriber to SBC Yahoo! DSL; I'm subscribed to SBC
> > Internet Services....I will be switched when I decide to transition...
> > I'll wait a while, before making this apparently forced transition
> > to SBC Yahoo! DSL...
>
> I remain unclear about where to look for information on the web,
> if any, that might pertain to you, and might save the trouble
> of our trying to get details directly from you.
>
> I don't know everyone, nor all ISPs -- here's something interesting,
> vaguely suggesting that it might relate to your "real" ISP,
> but who would know?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Internet_Services
>
> Unless someone else is a customer of the same service that you are,
> and knows whatever kind of change, merger, or whatever is going on,
> you're the only source I have who could tell me what specific information
> you were given, and I just don't yet seem to "get it," unfortunately.
>
> I don't quite even understand whether you have any actual problem
> in getting your current mail, or are just trying to plan ahead;
> this might be because there's so much going on that I'm not
> a "good listener," but that can easily be corrected
> by summarizing what's up in any current posting, so that I
> (or anyone) need not go way back and try to review
> everything from the past, which I'm just too lazy to do :)
>
> All I know is that three related pieces of information
> are all that's needed to connect you to any POP account,
> for downloading mail:
>
> o POP server name
> o Username
> o Password
>
> I used to also ask about the port number (and SSL),
> but if anyone tells me a pop server name,
> I can quickly find out myself which of two ports it's
> listening to, and whether or not it offers or requires SSL.
>
> http://mail2web.com(with "Advanced Login")
> also seems to be able to do the same for you directly,
> so the remaining info above is enough for you to know,
> and if you need help with Eudora settings,
> only the server name need be shared in postings here,
> for us to detect whatever else we need to know about the server itself.
>
> Now I guess it's time for me to put on whatever little apron and hat
> a McDonald's, Burger King, or other fast food counter person
> is supposed to wear, and ask "what's your order"?
>
> If you haven't a specific order ready to place,
> then what else is there for us to do than say ok, who's next?
>
> --

You're right John; for now, until I actually make this switch, this
matter is kinda closed.  This little odyssey started when I noted that
Eudora reported no mail to download from my ATT.net; when I happened
to take a look with my browser, there were 2 posts in my inbox...I'd
taken a look at the one from ATT.net that was addressed to
"yorkere@yahoo.com", and then printed it out.  When I read about the
coming change, I thought that the no-download event might be
related...that's when I posted my question to this Group.  Since this
has not been repeated since then, I think it's possible that there
really wasn't any inbox mail when I checked with Eudora, and when I
took a look with the browser, a couple had maybe just arrived...

My concern is that when I do make the transition, all of a sudden I'll
have some trouble, and will then discover that I need to mess with the
port settings, or whatever, in addition to those incoming & outgoing
email settings...so I'll wait a bit on this thing...

Thanks for your determined attempts to help!  I find that this Group
is hugely valuable...

Robert

0
Robert
5/27/2011 7:20:27 PM
On 5/27/2011 2:20 PM, Robert wrote:

> This little odyssey started when I noted that
> Eudora reported no mail to download from my ATT.net; when I happened
> to take a look with my browser, there were 2 posts in my inbox...I'd
> taken a look at the one from ATT.net that was addressed to
> "yorkere@yahoo.com", and then printed it out.  When I read about the
> coming change, I thought that the no-download event might be
> related...that's when I posted my question to this Group.  Since this
> has not been repeated since then, I think it's possible that there
> really wasn't any inbox mail when I checked with Eudora, and when I
> took a look with the browser, a couple had maybe just arrived...

False alarm, then ("not a fire, after all, just the sun coming up" :)

> My concern is that when I do make the transition, all of a sudden I'll
> have some trouble, and will then discover that I need to mess with the
> port settings, or whatever, in addition to those incoming & outgoing
> email settings...so I'll wait a bit on this thing...

Port settings?  Here we go (clip and save to redeem for points later :)

For port 995 (POP), 993 (IMAP) or 465 (SMTP):
Choose "Required, Alternate Port" for SSL ("Secure Sockets")
for the particular server for which you are making that setting.

For any other port number - 110 (POP), 143 (IMAP), 25 or 587 (SMTP):
Do not choose the above for SSL :)

For port 587 - used only with outgoing (SMTP) server:
Also check mark "Use submission port (587)"
(otherwise do not check-mark that :)

> Thanks for your determined attempts to help!

My Scoutmaster required us to report some good deed every day,
such as helping a blind person to cross a busy street.

I had to even insist that they cross, whether they wanted to or not :)

That's why now they use dogs, who can't join the Scouts :)

John

Exporting Eudora mail *with* attachements (Eudora -> Mozilla mail)
For compatibility reasons (I'm using a dual-boot PC with Linux and Windows, and found a way to share Mozilla (1.7.2) between both platforms)I've moved away from Eudora over to Mozilla to handle all my mail needs. I've found a (cumbersome and slow) way to import Eudora MBOX format mailboxes into Mozilla, but this doesn't include attachements. In Eudora each message seems to have a file-path which points to the attachement, while in Mozilla the attachement is included in the message itself, encoded in BASE-64. How can I convert Eudora mailboxes to include t...

Getting Eudora Mail to Apple Mail from A Different Computer
i have tons of email in my Eudora program on my old iMac which i need to transfer somehow into my Apple email program on my Powerbook. can someone PLEASE tell me how best to do this? i created a network between the Powerbook and the iMac but when i opened the Eudora program on the iMac, there were no messages in it. however, as soon as i disconnected the network, i was able to see all the mail in the iMac Eudora program. i have no idea why. perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain and also how to transfer all this stuff. thanx. Hi, > i have tons of email in my E...

error when trying to get mail from eudora after changing setting for g.mail
Hello out there! I followed to the LETTER the instructions on setting up my eudora mail client in conjunction with gmail. When I atemp to check my mail, I end up waiting for what feels like forever, only to get the message: Error: reading from the network. Cause: Eudora got tired of waiting for the server. (10100) Any suggestions for me? I am using Eudora in light mode, but supposably this shouldn't be part of the problem. Thanks! Critterlover On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:02:23 -0500: > I followed to the LETTER the instructions on setting up my eudora > mail ...

Importing Eudora mail into Apple Mail
Having used Eudora for too many years, I now have a real mess in the references to attachments. Many of the attachments are no longer accessible from the messages that they arrived in, even though they are still in the attachments folder. The main issue here is that I have moved Eudora to a new machine every few years, and the startup disk has typically had a new name. This in itself is not a big problem, and Eudora still seems able to find the files. (But it does leave the reference in the mailbox with the old disk's name.) However, the other part of the reference is the...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

How to transfer mail from Eudora to Eudora?
I need to transfer Eudors mail from one computer to another. Sometimes from my Powerbook 3400c/8.6/Eudora light to my PM 7200/8.6/Eudora Light, sometimes between Mac computers when I am upgrading to a 'new' computer. Is there an easy way way to transfer individual e-mails or the complete file between computers, preferably using zip disks? -- Free men own guns, slaves don't www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/ In article <nhull-D259DD.06454907112005@news1.east.earthlink.net>, Nick Hull <nhull@access4less.net> wrote: > I need to transfer Eudors ma...

Import mail archives from Eudora 6 for Windows to Eudora 6 for Mac
Good morning/evening everyone ! I am a french user of Eudora, and I encounter this problem : I precedently used Eudora on a Windows plateform ; and now I have bought a Macintosh (^-^) and I would want to recover my mail archives on the Macintosh. Is there a way to import these archives from the Eudora version which is installed on Windows, to the Mac Version ? Thank you for your help (and sorry, really, for my very bad english :/ ) Nakaori In <BBDC2EFB.936F%mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> Mad Youri <mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> wrote: > Good morning/evening ev...

Importing Mail/Address book to Eudora from Mail app
As per the header. What I can't seem to do is using the Import command from within Eudora is to import the contents of my Mac Address Book into Eudora. Also importing mailboxes, for some reason Eudora duplicates them into 2 lots of mailboxes, most likely from when I used to run 2 accounts in Mail. Is there any way of merging the 2 boxes into 1? I'm using a G5 iMac Power PC. Thank you, Peter P.S. Please note that the e-mail address given is a spam trap. My correct e-mail address is peterNOSPAM@pfjames.NOTHANKS.co.uk Remove the obvious to reply -- He spoke wit...

Mail refuses to get mail
2 weeks ago I noticed that Mail.app didn't get the mail from 1 of my 2 IMAP accounts (set to collect mail every 5 minutes). The other account, on the same server continued working normally. The problem was solved after a reboot. Yesterday the other account was stuck in the same way. This time a relaunch of Mail.app sufficed. Strange and nasty problem. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any permanent solutions except switching to another e-mail client? (I am considering Thunderbird now). System: Intel iMac, 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Mail 4.1 -- Zala zala(a...

Importing existing mail from Outlook2002 or Eudora 6 to Pegasus-mail?
Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to have access to my mail archives? Best Regards Jan Erik Frithjofsen On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen <jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to > have access to my mail archives? > > Best Regards > Jan Erik Frithjofsen > If you are using Outlook2002 with MsExchange and therefore Windows Messaging (aka MAPI) then I have a utility (PM2MSM32) you may be interested in. To migrate Eudora messages,...

On Mail Check, Eudora Dumps Hundreds of Old E-mails
This happened once before, but I can't quite remember why. Also I have been prompted for my password recently, hadn't done that for years! Could these be related? And how do I suppress the downloading of old e-mails? Thanks. Frank frank1492 wrote: > > This happened once before, but I can't quite remember why. Also I have > been prompted for my password recently, hadn't done that for years! > Could these be related? And how do I suppress the downloading of > old e-mails? It sounds like you're leaving mail on the server...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

Web resources about - Cannot Get To Mail in My yorkere@sbcglobal.net ; Eudora Keeps Reporting No Mail... - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows