Check mail: Why do I have to do it twice to get my mail?

Setup: XP Pro, Eudora 6.1.2.0, POP3, 3 megabit cable modem

Almost always when I open Eudora it retrieves one or two messages and
then stops the retrieval process. The new messages are displayed in
the In box normally. In order to retrieve the rest of my messages I
have to click the "Check Mail" button, after which the rest of my mail
is downloaded, sometimes scores of messages. I'm puzzled as to why I
have to do this. Surely Eudora should be retrieving ALL my mail on the
server when I launch the program?

BTW, I have determined that this has nothing to do with Eudora pausing
to allow the disk to spin up.

DT

0
DT

DT <comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows@comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows.com> wrote:

> Almost always when I open Eudora it retrieves one or two messages and
> then stops the retrieval process. The new messages are displayed in
> the In box normally. In order to retrieve the rest of my messages I
> have to click the "Check Mail" button, after which the rest of my mail
> is downloaded, sometimes scores of messages. I'm puzzled as to why I
> have to do this. Surely Eudora should be retrieving ALL my mail on the
> server when I launch the program?

Yes, it should be. If it only retrieves one or two, something must be
going wrong. Have you watched the task status and task error windows to
see what is going on when this happens? If the server is disconnecting you
or something is preventing you from getting to it, you should be getting
an error message in the task error window. The fact that a few messages
are downloaded rules out most problems that people sometimes have with
Eudora not being able to properly check mail when first started. You are
sure those messages are really being downloaded at that time as opposed to
being messages downloaded previously then processed when you start Eudora
again, aren't you? If Eudora finds unprocessed messages when it starts, it
will process them and that tends to prevent it from actually doing a mail
check at that time. I can't think of a good reason why you'd consistently
have different messages that hadn't been processed though, unless you're
in the habit of closing Eudora while it is in the middle of doing a mail
check.

If you are using an antivirus program that scans incoming mail, you might
want to try turning off that feature (not the whole AV program, just the
incoming scanning) and see if that has any effect. If it does, you may
need to adjust something about the way your AV program is working with
Eudora.

--
Katrina
0

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error message when attempting to check for mail, just the dialogue box telling me I have no new mail. The small circle that appears in the lower right corner of the status bar turns as it normally does when the program checks for mail, then in about 2 seconds the dialogue box appears to say I have no new mail. Any suggestions for fixing this problem? Thanks, Dave. Dave <dtkipp@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless > network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it > would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have > no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser > on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set > identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Getting Eudora Mail to Apple Mail from A Different Computer
i have tons of email in my Eudora program on my old iMac which i need to transfer somehow into my Apple email program on my Powerbook. can someone PLEASE tell me how best to do this? i created a network between the Powerbook and the iMac but when i opened the Eudora program on the iMac, there were no messages in it. however, as soon as i disconnected the network, i was able to see all the mail in the iMac Eudora program. i have no idea why. perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain and also how to transfer all this stuff. thanx. Hi, > i have tons of email in my E...

Mail refuses to get mail
2 weeks ago I noticed that Mail.app didn't get the mail from 1 of my 2 IMAP accounts (set to collect mail every 5 minutes). The other account, on the same server continued working normally. The problem was solved after a reboot. Yesterday the other account was stuck in the same way. This time a relaunch of Mail.app sufficed. Strange and nasty problem. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any permanent solutions except switching to another e-mail client? (I am considering Thunderbird now). System: Intel iMac, 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Mail 4.1 -- Zala zala(a...

On Mail Check, Eudora Dumps Hundreds of Old E-mails
This happened once before, but I can't quite remember why. Also I have been prompted for my password recently, hadn't done that for years! Could these be related? And how do I suppress the downloading of old e-mails? Thanks. Frank frank1492 wrote: > > This happened once before, but I can't quite remember why. Also I have > been prompted for my password recently, hadn't done that for years! > Could these be related? And how do I suppress the downloading of > old e-mails? It sounds like you're leaving mail on the server...

Cannot Get To Mail in My yorkere@sbcglobal.net ; Eudora Keeps Reporting No Mail...
Group: Using Eudora version 7.1.0.9; my Dominant is yorker@yorker.delta.net, and my other account is yorkere@sbcglobal.net...at yahoo.com All of a sudden Eudora keeps reporting there is no mail from yorkere@sbcglobal.net, but when I go into that account using my browser, at ATT.net, there is mail, which I can access using my FireFox. There was a message from Yahoo.mail about their new version of Yahoo.mail, and it now refers to me as "yorkere@yahoo.com vice yorkere@sbcglobal.net. Does this mean I need to get into the "personality" for SBC Yahoo.mail and change...

error when trying to get mail from eudora after changing setting for g.mail
Hello out there! I followed to the LETTER the instructions on setting up my eudora mail client in conjunction with gmail. When I atemp to check my mail, I end up waiting for what feels like forever, only to get the message: Error: reading from the network. Cause: Eudora got tired of waiting for the server. (10100) Any suggestions for me? I am using Eudora in light mode, but supposably this shouldn't be part of the problem. Thanks! Critterlover On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:02:23 -0500: > I followed to the LETTER the instructions on setting up my eudora > mail ...

MS-Windows mail servers and PHP's mail() function
I have a contact form that uses PHP's mail() function. It recently came to my attention that (some?) MS-Windows mail servers may not properly process data given to the mail() function that's only newline-terminated. The mail() function takes up to five parameters: mail(recipient, subject, message, [headers [,parameters]]) The ones of interest here are the first four. The questions are these: 1. Since recipient and subject are not multi-line, and, from the web form, don't even contain newlines, is it safe to assume they need neither newlines nor carriage-...

"Check Mail" button does not check mail.
Very strange problem on my friend's computer. His system is a HP computer running W7 home version, has used Eudora for years without problems. I was (successfully) fixing the GMail untrusted certificate error when this problem occurred: Clicking the "Check Mail" toolbar icon does not check mail. Using menu item File>Check Mail does not check mail. Using the personalities window, R clicking "Dominant" & check mail DOES work. I tried, in this order: Reboot the machine. Turning off MS Security essentials. Created a restore point & re-installed Eudora....

mails in the mail queue
Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the queued mails will be delivered. Thanks for advices! Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. sendmail -odq your@address < some.mail See man sendmail and doc/op/op.* about DeliveryMode. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because ...

I get mail remotely, but sent mail waits for me to get home
I spent the day at the hospital today, and checked my e-mail on my Wi-Fi iPad. I replied to some messages but they failed to send out. I got home and plugged it into my Mac, and checked my mail. My sent mail was in my in box with the time I had pressed "sent". I am inferring that they had that time-date stamp on my iPad, but only got sent when I connected at home. Either via my home Wi-Fi, or via my Mac??? If it was the latter, then I expect I don't have something set up correctly in my iPad's outgoing mail. Could it be the latter? Or is it possib...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to "...

Junk mail in Mail
With Mail out of the training mode & in Automatic mode, does Mail remember the messages you mark as Junk? Or, do you have to go back to training mode to tell Mail what is junk? Because after training mode, I still get some junk mail & mark it as junk, & I'm wondering if Mail remembers that, as if it were in training mode. On 2007-05-29 13:28:36 -0400, One4All <dwerner@bresnan.net> said: > With Mail out of the training mode & in Automatic mode, does Mail > remember the messages you mark as Junk? Or, do you have to go back to > training mode to tell Mail wha...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instea...

Exporting Eudora mail *with* attachements (Eudora -> Mozilla mail)
For compatibility reasons (I'm using a dual-boot PC with Linux and Windows, and found a way to share Mozilla (1.7.2) between both platforms)I've moved away from Eudora over to Mozilla to handle all my mail needs. I've found a (cumbersome and slow) way to import Eudora MBOX format mailboxes into Mozilla, but this doesn't include attachements. In Eudora each message seems to have a file-path which points to the attachement, while in Mozilla the attachement is included in the message itself, encoded in BASE-64. How can I convert Eudora mailboxes to include t...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical cop...

Mail erases mail?
Using Apple's Mail 1.3.9 on Panther: I had two email accounts and, in Prefs > Accounts, unchecked Enable for one of them. All the mail in my inbox from that account promptly disappeared! Is there any way to get it back? -- John Rethorst jrethorst at post dot com In article <noone-B571F2.18450825092004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, John Rethorst <noone@nowhere.net> wrote: > Using Apple's Mail 1.3.9 on Panther: I had two email accounts and, in Prefs > > Accounts, unchecked Enable for one of them. All the mail in my inbox from > that account promptly disap...

Checking mail and new mail folder
Is there a way to keep Pegasus from checking your mail account when the 'new mail folder' is opened.. clicked on? I would have sworn there was but I can't seem to find it in the newer version thanks... larryP@central.com wrote in news:dp07mvo0trg04inrvetau4qdftob9j40h1@4ax.com: > Is there a way to keep Pegasus from checking your mail account when > the 'new mail folder' is opened.. clicked on? > > I would have sworn there was but I can't seem to find it in the newer > version Tools - Internet options - Receiving (POP3) - Uncheck...

Panther mail hanging on get mail
Now on my second day of Panther. Imported all my mailboxes and everything seemed fine. Received my messages without any trouble. Today I can send out OK, but it hangs on "the preparing to get mail" after the password message. Then it just times out. The account data looks fine. Figured it might be my server. I cloned my old Jag disk to a firewire external, so I booted into Jag, and it got my mail just fine. Any ideas as to why it's hanging and what I can do about it? (I looked at the user library mail preferences, but didn't want to delete or rename them in fear of making a bigger mess.) -- Paul Fuchs paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net Sitting on a small rock (St. John) in the Caribbean Paul Fuchs <paulfuchs@porkaintkosher.oink> wrote: > Now on my second day of Panther. Imported all my mailboxes and > everything seemed fine. Received my messages without any trouble. > Today I can send out OK, but it hangs on "the preparing to get mail" > after the password message. Then it just times out. The account data > looks fine. Figured it might be my server. I cloned my old Jag disk to > a firewire external, so I booted into Jag, and it got my mail just fine. > > Any ideas as to why it's hanging and what I can do about it? (I looked > at the user library mail preferences, but didn't want to delete or > rename them in fear of making a bigger mess.) Cleaned out my mailbox with Eudora Light in OS9 an...

Getting correct From in mailing list mail
Hi, Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this? -- Cheers, Bernard On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:41:33 +0100, Bernard El-Hagin wrote: > > Hi, > > Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header > contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's > address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this? That's ...

automatically get mail when mail starts?
Anybody know if there�s a way to have Mail automatically check for new mail when I open it? I know about the preferences setting for how often to check for new mail, but I don�t see an option for what I want. Thanks, Chuck In article <3f8ca47e$0$1103$6536d21b@news.bitstream.net>, "Chuck Preston Jr." <chuckjrSPAMHATEI@bitstreamSPAMHATEI.net> wrote: > Anybody know if there�s a way to have Mail automatically check for new > mail when I open it? I know about the preferences setting for how often > to check for new mail, but I don�t see an option for what I w...

Web resources about - Check mail: Why do I have to do it twice to get my mail? - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Check the Weather
provides weather data across the globe. From Timbuktu to Istanbul, wherever you end up you’ll always know what it’s like outside.

Outside check (aviation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In aviation , an outside check or walk around is the air crew inspecting certain elements of an aircraft prior to boarding for security, safety ...

Facebook Checks In More March Madness Applications
The 2012 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament tipped off with two games last night, but there's still plenty of time to fill those brackets out; ...

Jacob's Ladder staircase in West Perth to close for fitness health check
Fitness fanatics have less than a week to get their fix from the popular Jacob's Ladder in West Perth.

ECB prepared to act to check market turmoil, says Mario Draghi
The ECB will take measures to ensure its monetary policy reaches the real economy if necessary, president Mario Draghi said.

Price Check: Intel’s Unlocked Skylake Processors for Desktops Are Getting More Affordable
Due to unprecedented demand, Intel’s latest Skylake processors with unlocked multiplier were significantly overpriced late last year . However, ...

Uber settles “industry-leading background check” class-action for $28.5M
... lawsuit originally filed in late December 2014 by six men who argued that the startup’s claim of running "industry-leading background checks" ...

Check for cats under the hood, Nissan PSA warns
Filed under: Etc. , Videos , Weird Car News , Nissan , Safety , Japan Nissan wants people to check their cars for cats before leaving, and it ...

UK government wants money-making porn sites to age-check visitors
... material online, and are now seeking views on how we deliver on our commitment. The government wants to not only implement age check, but also ...

Check Out the Gorgeous #BlogHer16 Los Angeles Host Hotel: JW Marriott
... today for #BlogHer16: Experts Among Us: Earlybird pricing ends on February 29! Don't miss all of our exciting #BlogHer16 announcements - check ...