Converting flowed text messages to plain text

Is it possible to "convert" the flowed text the Eudora messages are
saved in the mailboxes as, to truly plain text?

I've switched from Eudora to Pine as my e-mail client, and the html
formatting in my archived messages is _really_ annoying.

Gwen
0
Gwen

Gwen Morse wrote:

>Is it possible to "convert" the flowed text the Eudora messages are
>saved in the mailboxes as, to truly plain text?
>
>I've switched from Eudora to Pine as my e-mail client, and the html
>formatting in my archived messages is _really_ annoying.
>
>Gwen

Gwen, I don't believe there IS any HTML in the Format=Flowed messages.
Html messages, when replied to, will have a line that looks similar to
F=F. Plain text IS plain text. If there is HTML in a message, then F=F
doesn't apply. That said, there IS a way to turn it off, but I'll have
to try to find the commands. (If you really want to. You will break
'selective quoting' if you do that.)

Rick

--
Now that food has replaced sex in my life, I
can't even get into my own pants.
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:49:38 -0500, Rick <Rick@privacy.net> wrote:

>Gwen Morse wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to "convert" the flowed text the Eudora messages are
>>saved in the mailboxes as, to truly plain text?
>>
>>I've switched from Eudora to Pine as my e-mail client, and the html
>>formatting in my archived messages is _really_ annoying.
>>
>>Gwen
>>

>Gwen, I don't believe there IS any HTML in the Format=Flowed messages.
>Html messages, when replied to, will have a line that looks similar to
>F=F. Plain text IS plain text. If there is HTML in a message, then F=F
>doesn't apply. That said, there IS a way to turn it off, but I'll have
>to try to find the commands. (If you really want to. You will break
>'selective quoting' if you do that.)
>
>Rick

I have my physical Eudora mail boxes that go back to my orginal Eudora
install (somewhere in 1999).

My oldest mail messages (circa 1991-2000) are all in true plain text.

Some point after that, the physical messages in the mailboxes include
HTML markup tags. This is in the "raw text" of the .mbx files. These
are _not_ messages that were sent as "HTML" (very specifically, I have
an archive of messages that were sent by a friend who only ever used
Pine to send e-mail, and Pine doesn't support html). Other friends
most definately did _not_ send me html messages. However, the tags are
there. Instead, Eudora added these tags to my messages.

The outgoing (saved mail messages I wrote) are the worst. However, the
incoming messages were also tagged. The tags include <x-flowed> tags.
That's why I say it's an issue with flowed text.

Some messages are only minimally impacted, while others are
"unreadable" except in a html-based browser (Mozilla, for example).

I'm looking for a program/script/package that will strip those tags
from my archived mailboxes, so everything becomes _true_ plain text
once again.

Gwen

0
Gwen
12/28/2003 6:00:54 AM
Gwen Morse <goldmoon@geocities.com> wrote:
>Rick <Rick@privacy.net> wrote:
>>Gwen, I don't believe there IS any HTML in the Format=Flowed messages.

The difference in what is sent between using format=flowed and not using
it is in the content-type header. That's it. It doesn't use html in the
messages. However, what is sent is not the same as what is saved in the
outbox. The saved copies of sent messages are saved in the form they were
displayed in the composition window, not in the form they were sent. That
means there can be html in them even if the messages were sent as plain
text. Using excerpt bars is one of the things that will cause there to be
html there.

> Some point after that, the physical messages in the mailboxes include
> HTML markup tags. This is in the "raw text" of the .mbx files. These
> are _not_ messages that were sent as "HTML" (very specifically, I have
> an archive of messages that were sent by a friend who only ever used
> Pine to send e-mail, and Pine doesn't support html). Other friends
> most definately did _not_ send me html messages. However, the tags are
> there. Instead, Eudora added these tags to my messages.

There is no way in the world that using format=flowed added any html to
received messages. If these are messages your friends sent you, then
either they sent them with html in them, OR you edited the messages while
viewing them with the MS viewer. Using the MS viewer to edit messages
causes them to be saved with the html code that the MS viewer uses to
display them. If your friends are using Pine, then the latter is the
probable reason for your problem. Pine isn't capable of sending messages
using format=flowed as far as I know anyway, so format=flowed can't be
blamed. (Format-flowed is something that has to be used at both ends to be
seen. If the messages weren't sent using it, Eudora isn't going to use it
to display them.)

> The outgoing (saved mail messages I wrote) are the worst. However, the
> incoming messages were also tagged. The tags include <x-flowed> tags.
> That's why I say it's an issue with flowed text.

If that's there, then the message was sent using format=flowed. It is a
tag, but that doesn't mean the message had html in it.

> I'm looking for a program/script/package that will strip those tags
> from my archived mailboxes, so everything becomes _true_ plain text
> once again.

There are some, although I don't have any specific name for you.

For the future, if you want to turn off the excerpt bars, there are three
settings to add to eudora.ini:
AlwaysExcerptResponse=0
ConvertFormatFlowedtoExcerpt=0
InterpretFormatFlowed=0 .

As Rick mentioned, using these settings will break Eudora's ability to
reply using the selected text.

--
Katrina

0
Katrina

Sent Plain Text messages are now being saved as Plain Text in Eudora 7
Sent Plain Text messages are now being saved as Plain Text in Eudora 7. I have been sending in this suggestion for quite some time now and it appears that when sending a plain text message in Eudora Version 7, they are now being saved as plain text in the Out Mailbox. The last time this worked was in the Eudora 3.x Versions. With Eudora Versions 4, 5, and 6, the last time I remember checking was 6.1x, the saved messages in the Out Mailbox still contained HTML formatted text even though the messages were sent as plain text. If you were ever using or testing multiple versions of...

Convert clipboardet text to plain text
Hey there! Often I copy something from a dokument to paste it into my Wordpress blog. To prevent the formatted text to reappear in Wordpress, og paste it first into TextEdit to unformat, and then copy paste again. Does any of you guys know if there is a keyboard shortcut to paste the text in the clipboard unformatted? Hope I make myself clear :-) Palle a �crit: > Hey there! > > Often I copy something from a dokument to paste it into my Wordpress > blog. To prevent the formatted text to reappear in Wordpress, og paste > it first into TextEdit to unformat, and then copy ...

How to convert markup text to plain text in python?
I have some marked up text and would like to convert it to plain text, by simply removing all the tags. Of course I can do it from first principles but I felt that among all Python's markup tools there must be something that would do this simply, without having to create an XML parser etc. I've looked around a bit but failed to find anything, any tips? (e.g. convert "<B>Today</B> is <U>Friday</U>" to "Today is Friday") Regards, Geoff > I have some marked up text and would like to convert it to plain text, > by simply removing all th...

Editing styled text, converting to HTML and plain text
Hi all. I'd like to create a fairly simple styled text editor (JTextPane?) for brief announcements which are stored in a database, and then presented to users on a website (in HTML), as well as emailed to them in both text/plain and text/html formats. I want users on multiple platforms (especially Linux, Windows and MacOS X) to be able to paste styled text into the editor, coming from a word processor. Are there examples of this sort of thing, especially: 1) An editor window, into which you can paste styled text, and save it as HTML 2) A way to remove the styling, for the text/plain versi...

Need help converting unix text to windows text
I have been working on this for weeks. Whatever my FTP client does to translate the unix text file with each line ending in a LF character back into a LF CR I need some code in Perl to this. The task is, save data from an html form into a flatfile database. I have a Linux server. The program I have allows the user to search for a text file (unix text) and download the file through their browser. It has to convert the little LF's to CRLF. I have tried using some people's suggestion on how to do this. But it doesn't work yet. Right now it serves up the file because I have ever...

Convert MS-Word to plain text
Are there any perl modules that will allow you to convert MS-Word docs to plain text? On Fri, 09 May 2008 10:29:33 -0700, backpack wrote: > Are there any perl modules that will allow you to convert MS-Word docs > to plain text? You can use Win32::OLE to do this. backpack <curtyoung@gmail.com> wrote: >Are there any perl modules that will allow you to convert MS-Word docs >to plain text? Opposite to earlier formats the DOCX format is an open XML format and information about it is available on the Microsoft website. I don't know if someone already wrote a parser for it,...

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

text-text

Command for converting text file (Windows CR) to text file (Linux) ?
Assume I trasferred/uploaded a text file (which was created on a Win system) to Linux system. How can I convert the eol chars to the Linux style ? I opened (and later saved) it in vi editor. But this didn't help. What else can I do to convert it? Karl In article <475ef469$0$17522$9b4e6d93@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>, Karl Medrell <k.medrell@hotmail.com> wrote: >Assume I trasferred/uploaded a text file (which was created on a Win >system) to Linux system. > >How can I convert the eol chars to the Linux style ? > >I opened (and later saved) it in vi editor...

phpmailer.class messages are been converted to plain text...
Hi, I am using a phpmailer class to send some staff over the email... I am tring to send it with text/html but for some reason the email are been converted to plain and all the headers are shown, here is the email... X-Tour4Less.co.il Mailer: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=3D"b1_27976937fb6a931b3ed2d40aebd76a26" --b1_27976937fb6a931b3ed2d40aebd76a26 Content-Type: text/plain; charset =3D "windows-1255" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit =D7=A0=D7=99=D7=A1=D7=99=D7=95=D7=9F =D7=A2=D7=91=D7=A8=D7=99=D7=AA --b1_27976937fb6a931b3ed2d40aebd7...

Flowing text around text
Hi all, Could please someone tell me how to get text flowing around a framed piece of text with colored background? Something like: text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | ...

Eudora Message Text corruption of some e-mails received... Why? What do I do about it
===================================================================== Dear All: About one in twenty messages I receive from colleagues look like this in my Eudora reader: ==================================================================== At 09:00 AM-04009/27/2012, you wrote: Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64<font size=2 face="sans-serif">Ang,</fontB????f??B6? e=2 face="sans-serif">Yes, my comments are, and have been, submitted through my ANSI member, ITI. &nbsp;They consolidate our comments and pass them along. &nbsp;I am n...

Setting Eudora6 Windows to read mail in plain text
I am trying to find out how to set Eudora6 for Windows to read mail in PLAIN TEXT rather than HTML. Can somebody let me know how to do that? Thank you. On 22 Nov 2005 14:16:35 -0800, consultingguru@gmail.com wrote: >I am trying to find out how to set Eudora6 for Windows to read mail in >PLAIN TEXT rather than HTML. > >Can somebody let me know how to do that? > >Thank you. There's no Eudora setting for that, but you can do it with Brana's: HTML Handler for Eudora You can find it here: http://brana.users.sbb.co.yu/plugins.htm -- Ajo W...

MS Word parser or converter to plain text in JAVA
Hi! I've got a popular yet complicated tast. I need to get content of MS Word document for indexing purpouses using ONLY Java. Any help will do... TomasH TomasH: >I've got a popular yet complicated tast. I need to get content of MS >Word document for indexing purpouses using ONLY Java. Any help will >do... See <http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/java-libraries-word.html>. Regards, Marco -- Please reply in the newsgroup, not by email! Java programming tips: http://jiu.sourceforge.net/javatips.html Other Java pages: http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmidt.geo/ja...

How to convert MS doc to plain text using Perl on unix
Does anyone have an idea, how to do this? Thanks! zhangdidi@hotmail.com (Diandian Zhang) writes: > Does anyone have an idea, how to do this? Thanks! There are some module on CPAN dealing with RTF (rich text format). Maybe they are useful. "Diandian Zhang" <zhangdidi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7d12548d.0501140046.30cd9f44@posting.google.com... > Does anyone have an idea, how to do this? Thanks! Save as a text file in Open Office :-) Diandian Zhang wrote: > Does anyone have an idea, how to do this? Thanks! http://www.winfield.demon.nl/ system(&quo...

Filter mime/multipart E-Mail message to text/plain
Hi, I need to write a filter (stdin->stdout) which can handle MIME-formatted E-Mail messages of arbitrary size and will remove all mime/multipart stuff, leaving only the first text/plain part intact (including its encoding, my native language needs at least ISO-8859-1). Message headers should stay completely unchanged (including wrapped headers with continuation lines) modulo the changes needed for the MIME adaption. Are there any modules I should be looking at before writing the stuff myself? MIME is sufficiently nasty that I'd like to avoid peddling with it myself. Email::Simple, u...

Help: Eudora turns plain text into HTML for every message??? Cannot seem to turn it off?
I upgraded to the Eudora 6.2.1.2 and for whatever reason it thinks that everything is HTML. Example: I send myself a plain text message. It goes out without warning about HTML, e.g. it really wasn't HTML - which is confirmed by opening OUT.mbx in text editor: the message only has "test" and nothing else. But then when I receive this message, Eudora *makes* it HTML. which manifests itself by ugly small text size and really is HTML as evident from text in the IN.mbx: <x-flowed> "test" </x-flowed> But this is NOT what I sent! And now 100% of my arriving messages are ebing turned into HTML... This is driving me crazy and the strangest part is that same version of Eudora at home does not do this to me! Any idea what might be wrong? Thank a lot, Dima D.K. wrote: >I upgraded to the Eudora 6.2.1.2 and for whatever reason it >thinks that everything is HTML. Example: > >I send myself a plain text message. It goes out without warning >about HTML, e.g. it really wasn't HTML - which is confirmed >by opening OUT.mbx in text editor: the message only has > "test" >and nothing else. > >But then when I receive this message, Eudora *makes* it HTML. >which manifests itself by ugly small text size and really is >HTML as evident from text in the IN.mbx: > <x-flowed> > "test&quo...

Converting Text to Proper Text in SQL
Given a string it should convert it to a proper text. Example: if you passed a string 'Cat in the hat', I want 'Cat In The Hat' Curious about few things, Does sql have Instr OR Split(like VB) functionality Anybody can help?? (m.ramana@gmail.com) writes: > Given a string it should convert it to a proper text. > Example: if you passed a string 'Cat in the hat', I want 'Cat In The > Hat' I though "Cat in the Hat" was the proper title text in English, and "Cat In The Hat" is what you get when you use a computer? SQL Server is not...

How to extract the plain text from a rich text ?
Hi everybody ! I can't find how to get a wxstring containing the plain text from a wxstring containing rich text. Does anybody how to do that ? Thanks ! ...

converting vertical text to horizontal text
I have file that contains text formated like horizontal H e B l i p P g e r m l P y a i b i n r s a i i t n n h e t i h s a e n m s r e w e l e a t r r i ! n g Does anyone have a good way to convert this to horizontal text like such below? Thanks. Big Pain in the rear! Help my brain is melting Perl is the answer I've search CPAN and found some Text modules to rotate the text, but I'm stuck trying to figure out how to read this text in. I'm thinking using unconstrainted 2D array. Thank you. -- I am not an Intel spokesperson...

convert text images in pdf to text
Hi, I have a pdf file where someone scanned in pages from a book and stored them as images in a pdf file which is 16 meg. Is there an easy way I can do some kind of OCR on this file to just get plain text from the images of text in the pdf? Using a standard pdf to txt converter won't work because the file contains images of text as it appears in the book. Thanks, Ben -- Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com). 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes. Tr...

make text flow around other text ?
This text starts +---------------+ on the left but | | then when the box | some boxed | ends we see that | text | the text on the | | left is allowed +---------------+ to flow across all the way to the right margin. What HTML tags convey that this flowing should occur ? Note: The boxed text is preferrably as text and not as an image. Thanks. ericosman@rcn.com >From: ericosman@rcn.com (Eric=A0Osman) >What HTML tags convey >that this flowing should occur ? A simple Tables Layout can accomplish that! Web...

Cannot convert MIME message to Notes Rich Text message
I get this trying to open an LNNote (C++ API, Notes 7). Any ideas of how to work around this? Thx dB. ...

Unable of attaching files to plain text mails in Yahoo! Mail
It looks like Photomail has been activated (don't remember how) on my account, which makes that I can no longer attach a file to a mail in Plain Text mode: in this mode, if I click on attach, I get a message which says that I have to activate a mode which puts HTML in outgoing mail (which I prefer to avoid); also, in this mode, I don't get the standard Select File window of Internet explorer, but another window, which seems to be yahoo!mail-specific (if i remember well, you have to install a plugin to have this window). I saw another y!mail account which can still attach files to mail ...

Web resources about - Converting flowed text messages to plain text - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Converting dry air to water: solution to Broken Hill's water crisis gains support
A one-man crusade by a Broken Hill resident to solve the historic town's water crisis by introducing air to water converters is gaining support. ...