Eudora 7 & Windows 8.1 or 10

Will Eudora 7.1.0.9 work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 without any
trouble?

Yes, I know ... I'm used to an archaic program but it's nice to have all
email got into one place, to then be parceled out into "mailboxes."

Thanks in advance.

0
Noone

On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 14:03:12 GMT, Noone <noone@noonehome.com> wrote:

| Will Eudora 7.1.0.9 work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 without any
| trouble?
|
| Yes, I know ... I'm used to an archaic program but it's nice to have all
| email got into one place, to then be parceled out into "mailboxes."
|
| Thanks in advance.

It runs on 8.1 and 10 with no problems.  I was using Eudora exclusively from Windows
95 through 10 until I changed email from my ISP to gmail.  A few problems came up
with gmail that caused me to switch to Thunderbird to solve.  I still miss Eudora,
though.

Larc
0
Larc
11/5/2016 10:50:09 PM
On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:50:09 -0400, Larc <larc@notmyaddress.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 14:03:12 GMT, Noone <noone@noonehome.com> wrote:
>
>| Will Eudora 7.1.0.9 work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 without any
>| trouble?
>|
>| Yes, I know ... I'm used to an archaic program but it's nice to have all
>| email got into one place, to then be parceled out into "mailboxes."
>|
>| Thanks in advance.
>
>It runs on 8.1 and 10 with no problems.  I was using Eudora exclusively from Windows
>95 through 10 until I changed email from my ISP to gmail.  A few problems came up
>with gmail that caused me to switch to Thunderbird to solve.  I still miss Eudora,
>though.
>
>Larc

Eudora is a mess with Gmail and the only fix is to several times a
week you have to go into Gmail Account setting, select Last SSL Info,
Certificate Information Manager and tell to trust a new Gmail
Certificate.

If you don't use it for Gmail, it still works great. there have been
lots of post in this news group with the details on the Gmail issue
and a couple of other suggested patches. You also have to be careful
where you let it install or Win 8 and 10 will not like it.
0
gp
11/6/2016 1:44:22 PM
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:50:09 -0400, Larc
<larc@notmyaddress.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 14:03:12 GMT, Noone <noone@noonehome.com> wrote:
>
>| Will Eudora 7.1.0.9 work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 without any
>| trouble?

I've used it with Vista and 10 with no problem.  Didn't try with the
others.

>| Yes, I know ... I'm used to an archaic program but it's nice to have all
>| email got into one place, to then be parceled out into "mailboxes."
>|
>| Thanks in advance.
>
>It runs on 8.1 and 10 with no problems.  I was using Eudora exclusively from Windows
>95 through 10 until I changed email from my ISP to gmail.  A few problems came up
>with gmail that caused me to switch to Thunderbird to solve.  I still miss Eudora,
>though.
>
>Larc

I use it for gmail too.  I get and send almost no mail, but it works
fine with Eudora when i do.       Did someone tell you about the need to
prefix your user name with RECENT:   and to use your full email address
for the rest of the user name????
0
micky
11/11/2016 1:19:01 AM
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sun, 06 Nov 2016 07:44:22 -0600,
gp@rr.com wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:50:09 -0400, Larc <larc@notmyaddress.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 14:03:12 GMT, Noone <noone@noonehome.com> wrote:
>>
>>| Will Eudora 7.1.0.9 work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 without any
>>| trouble?
>>|
>>| Yes, I know ... I'm used to an archaic program but it's nice to have all
>>| email got into one place, to then be parceled out into "mailboxes."
>>|
>>| Thanks in advance.
>>
>>It runs on 8.1 and 10 with no problems.  I was using Eudora exclusively from Windows
>>95 through 10 until I changed email from my ISP to gmail.  A few problems came up
>>with gmail that caused me to switch to Thunderbird to solve.  I still miss Eudora,
>>though.
>>
>>Larc
>
>Eudora is a mess with Gmail and the only fix is to several times a
>week you have to go into Gmail Account setting, select Last SSL Info,
>Certificate Information Manager and tell to trust a new Gmail
>Certificate.

That's not the only fix. The other one is to use Stunnel.  After you set
that up you need pay no attention to cerficates at all.   It's a free
program.

>If you don't use it for Gmail, it still works great. there have been
>lots of post in this news group with the details on the Gmail issue
>and a couple of other suggested patches. You also have to be careful
>where you let it install or Win 8 and 10 will not like it.

0
micky
11/11/2016 1:22:39 AM
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:19:01 -0500,
micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:50:09 -0400, Larc
><larc@notmyaddress.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 14:03:12 GMT, Noone <noone@noonehome.com> wrote:
>>
>>| Will Eudora 7.1.0.9 work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 without any
>>| trouble?
>
>I've used it with Vista and 10 with no problem.  Didn't try with the
>others.
>
>>| Yes, I know ... I'm used to an archaic program but it's nice to have all
>>| email got into one place, to then be parceled out into "mailboxes."
>>|
>>| Thanks in advance.
>>
>>It runs on 8.1 and 10 with no problems.  I was using Eudora exclusively from Windows
>>95 through 10 until I changed email from my ISP to gmail.  A few problems came up
>>with gmail that caused me to switch to Thunderbird to solve.  I still miss Eudora,
>>though.
>>
>>Larc
>
>I use it for gmail too.  I get and send almost no mail, but it works
>fine with Eudora when i do.       Did someone tell you about the need to
>prefix your user name with RECENT:   and to use your full email address
>for the rest of the user name????

And the harmless need to call it a less than secure program, or some
such label.   Gmail considers anything other than gmail insecure.
0
micky
11/11/2016 1:25:24 AM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:22:39 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:

| In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sun, 06 Nov 2016 07:44:22 -0600,
| gp@rr.com wrote:
|
| >On Sat, 05 Nov 2016 18:50:09 -0400, Larc <larc@notmyaddress.com>
| >wrote:

| >>|

| >>It runs on 8.1 and 10 with no problems.  I was using Eudora exclusively from Windows
| >>95 through 10 until I changed email from my ISP to gmail.  A few problems came up
| >>with gmail that caused me to switch to Thunderbird to solve.  I still miss Eudora,
| >>though.
| >>
| >>Larc
| >
| >Eudora is a mess with Gmail and the only fix is to several times a
| >week you have to go into Gmail Account setting, select Last SSL Info,
| >Certificate Information Manager and tell to trust a new Gmail
| >Certificate.
|
| That's not the only fix. The other one is to use Stunnel.  After you set
| that up you need pay no attention to cerficates at all.   It's a free
| program.

How many hoops are there to jump through to set Stunnel up to use with 5 gmail
accounts?

Larc
0
Larc
11/11/2016 2:12:57 PM
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 09:12:57 -0500, Larc
<larc@notmyaddress.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 20:22:39 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>| In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sun, 06 Nov 2016 07:44:22 -0600,
>| gp@rr.com wrote:

>| >>|
>| >>|

>| >Eudora is a mess with Gmail and the only fix is to several times a
>| >week you have to go into Gmail Account setting, select Last SSL Info,
>| >Certificate Information Manager and tell to trust a new Gmail
>| >Certificate.
>|
>| That's not the only fix. The other one is to use Stunnel.  After you set
>| that up you need pay no attention to cerficates at all.   It's a free
>| program.
>
>How many hoops are there to jump through to set Stunnel up to use with 5 gmail
>accounts?
>
>Larc

No more than with one gmail account, unless for some reason they use
more than one set of servers, which I think is just short of impossible,
since the gmail setup instruction make no reference to that, even as a
possibility.   But you can tell for yourself by looking at the server
names you are using.

Certificates are per server and not per account.

There are really only four lines that need to be set in the stunnel
..conf file (which is like an .ini file) and four settings that need to
be changed in Eudora.

That's not to say it isn't confusing at first.  I think it is.

But basically, you need to set Eudora to point to stunnel, and you need
to point stunnel to the places Eudora used to point to. That puts
stunnel in the middle.  Both for POP and SMTP.  So that's 2x2x2=8 small
changes.
                      where Eudora points to a pop server, you need to
set it to point to stunnel   using 127.0.0.1.
                      Where it points to an smtp server, you need to set
it to point to stunnel.    (so that's 2 of the Eudora settings)
                      and you need to have stunnel accept those two
connections from Eudora  (so that's 2 of the Stunnel setttings)
                     and you need to have stunnel point to where Eudora
used to point.   (so that 's the other two Stunnel settings.)

Finally, you need in Eudora to set Secure Sockets to Never, for both POP
and SMTP, because Stunnel will handle all of the Secure Sockets needs.
                          (so that's the other 2 Eudora settings.)

Stunnel.conf comes with likely settings for gmail already included:

;[gmail-pop3]
;client = yes
;accept = 127.0.0.1:110
;connect = pop.gmail.com:995

;[gmail-smtp]
;client = yes
;accept = 127.0.0.1:25
;connect = smtp.gmail.com:465

I deleted the IMAP example but it's there too.   The semi-colons need to
be removed to uncomment the lines.   The newer version of stunnel has 1
or 2 more lines in each of the two sections I specify here that should
be uncommented but they require no other editing.    (But with Verizon,
I use the older version without those lines with no problem.  I suspect
some other servers don't require them either, and that one or a few
servers do need the other lines.)

The accept lines refer to the connections with Eudora.
The connect lines refer to the connections with your servers.

Thus, the two accept lines imply that within Eudora, both the POP and
SMTP servers should be set to 127.0.0.1, which is computerese for Local.
I think you can also write Local.   Local means on the same computer (or
LAN or something or other).

Since the ports that many mail servers require are 110 and 25, the
default ports used by Eudora when SS is off are also 110 and 25.   Those
numbers are already in effect and don't need to be specified in Eudora
but they do need to be in Stunnel, as shown in the two accept lines.

The connect lines, as I said, point Stunnel to where Eudora used to
point, so the actual gmail server names are there.  Because gmail uses
ports 995 and 465, those ports have to be specified after the server
names and a colon.    Hmmm.  This does open a small can of worms, and
since, as I've known for at least a year, my Eudora setup has an error,
I can't answer it firmly.  But if you are really using 995 and 465 now,
you must have set it that way either with the Ports section of Options
or by directly editing the gmail section of eudora.ini.    You can
either remove those entries** or those lines or you can go back up to
the Accept lines in stunnel.conf and use those numbers 995 and 465
instead of 110 and 25.

**You may or may not be using 995 and 465, even though that is what is
currently recommended.  Perhaps you're using 110 and 25?  If you are
using 995 and/or 465, you would (that is, should) only have changed
entries in Options / Ports if gmail were your dominant personality,
since any part of Options that might be server specific actually applies
to every personality, So changing the ports there runs the risk of
messing up your other personalities.  Strangely though, that's what I
did years ago, maybe even before I got gmail, and I'm having no trouble
with Verizon or RCN (Erols).  But I doubt you did that.  More likely you
put additional lines in the gmail section of eudora.ini.  The upshot is
that the ports that Eudora is using for gmail have to be the same ports
named in the Accept lines of stunnel.conf.  So you have the two choices
at the end of the previous paragraph.  I don't know if one choice is
better than the other functionally.   If you have trouble, let us know.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en&ref_topic=3398031

And again in Eudora, Secure Sockets has to be set to Never, for both POP
and SMTP,

The normal stunnel setup should cause stunnel to start automatically
when windows starts, but if you're using an old version of the stunnel
install, it won't, so you can put stunnel,exe in the startup directory.

Voila.

Gmail is the only known server that changes certificates more often than
once every year or two.

But to find other server settings google something like    pop port
rcn.com setup

To everyone, what happened to the other 994 POP ports and the other 464
SMTP ports?  Is it true we lost them in a poker game?
0
micky