Eudora 7.1 and Windows 7?

Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 7?
Thanks
0
ashuat

On 27 Dec 2009 in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows,  wrote:

> Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 7?

I run it on Win 7 Enterprise 64 with no problems.  Just make sure that
the data files are separate from the program files.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
>Just make sure that
>the data files are separate from the program files.

What do you mean precisely please?
thanks
0
ashuat
12/28/2009 1:09:16 PM
ashuat@email.ittttt wrote in news:tebhj5po84u2f7fm4il22jhghhudjjqoeg@
4ax.com:

>>Just make sure that
>>the data files are separate from the program files.
>
> What do you mean precisely please?
> thanks

The Eudora data files should not be in the same directory as the Eudora
program files.

This is to help prevent "contamination" of the program files by malware,
and to ease backing up data files.

The (very old) philosophy was that everything belonging to a certain
program should be kept together (a Microsoft invention, Unix etc always
keeps programs separate from OS and separate from data).  Now MS is
realizing that the Unix way is better for system maintenance and backing
up.

--
Best regards
Han

>The (very old) philosophy was that everything belonging to a certain
>program should be kept together (a Microsoft invention, Unix etc always
>keeps programs separate from OS and separate from data).  Now MS is
>realizing that the Unix way is better for system maintenance and backing
>up.
0
ashuat
12/28/2009 9:52:09 PM
ashuat@email.itttt wrote in
news:54aij5lukci14mcb8heuscd93bj7734fsb@4ax.com: Top posting corrected

>>The (very old) philosophy was that everything belonging to a certain
>>program should be kept together (a Microsoft invention, Unix etc
>>always keeps programs separate from OS and separate from data).  Now
>>MS is realizing that the Unix way is better for system maintenance and
>>backing up.
> I think I have a problem with Eudora 7 and Windows 7 may be because I
> have put the mailboxess into the same Eudora folder. In fact now when
> I open Eudora I don't see any message. Where have I put these In.mbx
> and Out.mbx precisely? I have to save the old messages. Thanks

You have to search for in.mbx, or any other mbx or toc file.  You have
to search everywhere and turn off hide system files.  Then you have to
move those files all mbx, toc and a bunch of other files to a new
directory under user data or some such.

It might be simplest to copy all Eudora related files to a flsah drive.
Then make sure you delete all Eudora files from the hard drive.  Make
sure all Eudora related info is erased from the registry (if there is
any).  Finally reinstall Eudora and note the directory (let's call it
newmail so we know which directory its) where the mailboxes are created.
 Create a new SUB-directory of that newmail directory called oldmail.fol
 (it has to have the dotfol extension so Eudora will recognize it as a
subdirectory for mailboxes), and copy all the files off the flashdrive
into oldmail.fol.

Now you can move emails from the old mailboxes into whatever new ones
you want them to be.

This may sound convoluted (and it is), but I think it should work.

--
Best regards
Han

> Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 7?

As long as you do not attempt to keep user data (mail, settings, etc.)
in the system "program files" folder tree, where Windows,
to better protect against malware,
no longer allows applications to write or update any files.

You can keep programs and data together elsewhere,
although it's still a bad idea.

John
12/29/2009 1:54:59 AM
>As long as you do not attempt to keep user data (mail, settings, etc.)
>in the system "program files" folder tree, where Windows,
>to better protect against malware,

I have found those mailboxes. Now I use Eudora enough fine but when it
downloads the emails it is very, very slower than with Windows XP.
Why?
0
ashuat
12/30/2009 12:02:14 AM
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 18:02:14 -0600:

> I have found those mailboxes. Now I use Eudora enough fine
> but when it downloads the emails
> it is very, very slower than with Windows XP.

Are you saying that Windows 7 isn't as efficient as Windows XP?

Who would have imagined such a thing?   ;-)

Somewhere in all those millions of lines of code,
in the entire system of everything you are running under that hood,
whether all from Microsoft or parts from many vendors,
plus layers of networking all the way from inside the box to an ISP,
there might be something that can be tuned up or turned off,
but I don't know how to find that out, from over here.

I'll look forward to hearing any breaking news as time goes by,
and best wishes for happy virtual travel in your new SUV :)

A 40-year flashback:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/pennywyatt/Interests/FlandersSwann/DropOf=
aHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat02.html
http://openlearn.open.ac.uk/file.php/3597/TA212_3_002i.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DU6OHD2uCpfU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D8uwEB6oe0F0
More of those guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBSF8OUyuldc

-- =
0
John
12/30/2009 3:07:55 AM
>Are you saying that Windows 7 isn't as efficient as Windows XP?

I never have told it. I tell you that with Windows 7 I don't succeed
to installa every program.
For example i am not able to install a program that a friend of mine
has made for me  with Visual Basic some years ago.
Then .... I am not able to install Power Translator 12. It is was born
in the 2008.

0
ashuat
12/30/2009 9:50:30 AM
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 01:02:14 +0100, ashuat@email.ittttt wrote:

>>As long as you do not attempt to keep user data (mail, settings, etc.)
>>in the system "program files" folder tree, where Windows,
>>to better protect against malware,
>
>I have found those mailboxes. Now I use Eudora enough fine but when it
>downloads the emails it is very, very slower than with Windows XP.
>Why?

That seems like a subject for another group.
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires