Eudora; now there is a better option

Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
I like it.
Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.

0
Mr
2/25/2005 10:52:30 PM
comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows 10531 articles. 4 followers. bob234 (1) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>I like it.
>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.

Does it do everything that Eudora does?
Is it as stable as Eudora?
Is it as "comfortable"?
Is it as configurable?

These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
(or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
switching.

Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?

Francis

0
fburton
2/26/2005 11:12:38 AM
I'm sure it doesn't do everything Eudora does because each email client
is different. Also, Thunderbird is not a mature program like Eudora.
It's still in release 1.0, but it is stable, comfortable, and
configurable. It still has a few features missing, most of which can be
"fixed" with "extensions". Since it's free, you could install
Thunderbird and set it to leave messages on your mail server for Eudora
and use it in parallel with Eudora to compare them [just be sure to
check mail with Thunderbird first]. Since it is open source, it will
most likely be improved at a faster rate than Eudora. Some of my
friends installed Thunderbird as part of a suite which includes the
Firefox browser, which also gets very good reviews. Thuderbird includes
built in SPAM controls, which catch anything that my previously
installed SPAM solution, "Mailwasher", misses. Eventually, I may try
uninstalling mailwasher to train Thunderbird's built in SPAM filter
more completely. It also includes an RSS reader and a news reader.

Francis Burton wrote:
> In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> >I like it.
> >Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
>
> Does it do everything that Eudora does?
> Is it as stable as Eudora?
> Is it as "comfortable"?
> Is it as configurable?
>
> These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
> (or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
> switching.
>
> Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?
>
> Francis

0
Mr
2/26/2005 2:58:23 PM
On 26 Feb 2005 11:12:38 GMT, fburton@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:

>Does it do everything that Eudora does?
>Is it as stable as Eudora?
>Is it as "comfortable"?
>Is it as configurable?
>
>These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
>(or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
>switching.
>
>Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?

Note the above questions refers to thunderbird (v. 1.0).  Why not run
a side-by-side comparison for a few weeks?  No review in the world is
going to tell you, for sure, if you will like a particular email
client or not.

I use pegasus and eudora.  I've been running TB also for the last
month.  In my experience, it is nicely configurable (some
configuration items requre readily available extensions).  It is
stable.  Except for filtering (below) it does everything eudora does
that I make use of.  Doubtless there are a number of things it does
not do that eudora does.  The reverse is probably true also.  Comfort
is too personal a concept to comment on.

Compared to options I like in pegasus and eudora, the only lack I've
seen so far is in the filtering capability.  In this respect pegasus
is far in the lead, eudora is also quite good.  TB only permits
filtering on specified headers, or body text.  And the filter function
is sometimes a bit annoying to me.

I use IMAP relatively rarely, so my comments are restricted to POP3
access.

Give it a shot and see if you like it.

0
BobT
2/26/2005 3:18:19 PM
You might also try PocoMail...
http://www.pocosystems.com/home/index.php?option=content&task=category&sectionid=2&id=7&Itemid=25

Highly configurable and does most everything that Eudora does,
including redirect (called bounce in PocoMail).

If you like the look and feel of Outlook 2003, it does that also.

Unlike some competing products, PocoMail doesn't use the Internet
Explorer component to preview your HTML messages. Instead it uses an
internal HTML viewer.
PocoMail does not understand VBScript or JavaScript, which are used to
write email viruses.
PocoMail will not run PocoScript, its own scripting language, from
messages you receive. While VBScript and JavaScript let a third-party
control your mailer, PocoScript was designed to let you better control
your mailer. You'll need to enable PocoScript on a message (to better
process it) before the script can run.

On 25 Feb 2005 14:52:30 -0800, "Mr. D" <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>I like it.
>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.

0
Les
2/26/2005 7:19:51 PM
On 26 Feb 2005 11:12:38 GMT, fburton@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:

>Does it do everything that Eudora does?

One thing it does **not** do that is a curse with Eudora is play havoc
with CR/LF

I have had the Eudora gurus baffled in the newsgroup.

I have to send copy received from various sources to club members. I
use copy and paste, sometimes via a text editor to remove formatting.

I use the non printing characters to ensure that I have paragraph
separation and the received email has no line space after a paragraph
where I saw two paragraph marks.  I have been sending with three
paragraph marks and then I get a line space.

There is an example of a prepared email here:

http://www.rotary9790.org.au/test/eudora1.htm

There is another example of the phenomenon here:

http://www.rotary9790.org.au/test/Eudora2.htm

Each of the web pages has a hyperlink to the other one.

Robin Chapple
0
Robin
2/26/2005 11:59:31 PM
On 26 Feb 2005 11:12:38 GMT, Francis Burton wrote:

>In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>>I like it.
>>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.

>Does it do everything that Eudora does?
For the *average* user - abslolutely ...yes. Much of the more recent
additions (emoticons etc.) seem [to me] to be just useless junk
(emoticons etc.).

I ran the two in parallel for a while, then switched to TB. There's
hardly a function that I find I miss from Eudora.

>Is it as stable as Eudora?
I don't think I've had a crash in TB yet. Mind you, my Eudora setup
always seemd pretty stable - at least compared to many of the troubled
posters here.

>Is it as "comfortable"?
>Is it as configurable?
As with changing from any well-used program to another, it takes a
little getting used to. It has the odd "quirk" but once set up, just
sits there and lets you get on with the job. I certainly don't think
it gives as many problems with, say, using multiple personalities as
does Eudora.

Eudora has served me well overs the years, and I tend to stay loyal to
a good product (that's why I keep poking my nose into this group).
However - Eudora has become expensive to maintain and I feel the
developers have lost the plot. So called "upgrades" (that take *years*
to arrive) have become just minor tweaks with additional fripperies,
whilst glaring bugs apper to remain unfixed (or introduced).

I really thought I wasn't going to stick with Eudora for much longer.
My brief flirtation with Thunderbird has developed into a full-blown
affair <g>.

There are probably just too many variations of useage to compare
directly - point by point. I'd do what someone else suggested - just
run the two in tandem for a while and see what suits *you*.

Adam.
0
Adamski
2/27/2005 12:23:18 AM
On 25 Feb 2005 14:52:30 -0800, "Mr. D" <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>I like it.
>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.

What does it have for spam filtering? For Eudora, Spamnix is an
excellent plug-in spam filter that catches almost everything. Is there
anything similar for Thunderbird?
0
Jim
2/27/2005 2:40:23 AM
fburton@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:

>In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>>I like it.
>>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
>
>Does it do everything that Eudora does?
>Is it as stable as Eudora?
>Is it as "comfortable"?
>Is it as configurable?
>
>These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
>(or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
>switching.
>
>Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?
>
>Francis

One thing it won't do is "redirect " an email rather than forward. .
Something I use quite allot with Eudora..
0
Mutlley
2/27/2005 7:18:37 PM
No.

I started using Thunderbird in December.

It has several shortcomings.

For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size (don't
know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird aborts
reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and read
messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.

It is not possible to map all Eudora filters to Thunderbird filters.

When Thunderbird receives mail, you have to go searching thru the mailboxes
to find the messages. The alternative is create an search and then search
for the messages after the fact. This is very annoying.

There is no built-in way to do some things. For example, it is useful to be
able to save a message without its attachments in the mailbox, No built-in
way to do this.

Documentation is sparse and not well organized.

Does not provide an interface for VB/VBA programming.

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Francis Burton" <fburton@nyx.net> wrote in message
> In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> >I like it.
> >Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
>
> Does it do everything that Eudora does?
> Is it as stable as Eudora?
> Is it as "comfortable"?
> Is it as configurable?
>
> These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
> (or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
> switching.
>
> Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?
>
> Francis

0
Howard
2/27/2005 8:45:26 PM
"Adamski" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> I don't think I've had a crash in TB yet. Mind you, my Eudora setup
> always seemd pretty stable - at least compared to many of the troubled
> posters here.

I've not yet had Thunderbird "crash", but I regularly get Application errors
when closing the program.

0
Howard
2/27/2005 8:49:08 PM
Thunderbird made a complete mess of copying the address book from
Eudora and I am not prepared to reconstruct it.

On 26 Feb 2005 11:12:38 GMT, fburton@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:

>In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>>I like it.
>>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
>
>Does it do everything that Eudora does?
>Is it as stable as Eudora?
>Is it as "comfortable"?
>Is it as configurable?
>
>These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
>(or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
>switching.
>
>Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?
>
>Francis

0
Robin
2/27/2005 8:54:44 PM
Howard Kaikow wrote:
> No.
>
> I started using Thunderbird in December.
>
> It has several shortcomings.
>
> For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size (don't
> know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird aborts
> reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and read
> messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.

Sounds more like an ISP-related imitation. I've successfully received
attachments up to >10 megs with no problem

> It is not possible to map all Eudora filters to Thunderbird filters.

True - but some work is required for any program, including Eudora.

> When Thunderbird receives mail, you have to go searching thru the mailboxes
> to find the messages. The alternative is create an search and then search
> for the messages after the fact. This is very annoying.

Why - I've never had difficulty finding newly received messages.

> There is no built-in way to do some things. For example, it is useful to be
> able to save a message without its attachments in the mailbox, No built-in
> way to do this.

Can't do this in Eudora either I don't believe. If you can (without
deleting) please say how.

> Documentation is sparse and not well organized.

True.

> Does not provide an interface for VB/VBA programming.

0
RWEmerson
2/27/2005 9:16:03 PM
Howard Kaikow wrote:
> No.
> I started using Thunderbird in December.
> It has several shortcomings.
>
> For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size (don't
> know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird aborts
> reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and read
> messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.

It would be for me too.  Did you check all the option settings - maybe
this is something you can control or turn off.

I just installed TB to try it last night.  There is an option setting
for this.  If you right-click the mail account and choose properties (or
get to the properties tabs in other ways) there's one group or tab for
Disk Space.  That has a checkable/uncheckable option that says "To save
disk space, do not download any emails larger than ____", and you can
either make that a big number or just uncheck the option.

> It is not possible to map all Eudora filters to Thunderbird filters.

Maybe be true, but I don't use any really fancy things in my filters -
just basically have it check the From line and move the email message to
a folder based on that.  To that extent, the filtering seems to work the
same in both.  If you do fancier stuff, TB probably can't handle it yet.

> When Thunderbird receives mail, you have to go searching thru the mailboxes
> to find the messages. The alternative is create an search and then search
> for the messages after the fact. This is very annoying.

Not sure what you mean here.  I've set up a few filters, and when new
mail comes, the mailboxes where it resides are bolded, just like in
Eudora.  No problem finding the new ones, but maybe I'm not
understanding you.

> There is no built-in way to do some things. For example, it is useful to be
> able to save a message without its attachments in the mailbox, No built-in
> way to do this.

I didn't know you could do this with Eudora.  I probably don't need it,
but it's neat to know.

> Documentation is sparse and not well organized.

Guess that's partly the nature of open source projects (OS folks please
don't yell at me... :)

> Does not provide an interface for VB/VBA programming.

Didn't know Eudora did that either, but I don't really need it.

Actually I'm so happy with and used to Eudora, that I'll probably stay
with it for email (and I just paid $50 for it).  But I'll use TB for my
newsgroup reading, since I don't like to use Outlook for anything if I
can avoid it.  (Is there a newsgroup reader in Eudora that I'm just
missing?)

But if I hadn't a just bought Eudora, I might go with TB.  It seems
fine, and the price is right.  The only other issue for me is that I
like my plain-text, insecure MBX files.  I thought TB would somehow
automatically encrypt the messages, but I just realized that it doesn't
so I'll still have plain text access to the mailboxes.  In that case I
would definitely use TB happily (so far, anyway) if I didn't have Eudora.

-- garyZ
0
Gary
2/27/2005 10:48:13 PM
Robin Chapple wrote:
> Thunderbird made a complete mess of copying the address book from
> Eudora and I am not prepared to reconstruct it.

It worked great for me.  My address book was in Eudora 6.2.1, recently
upgraded from Eudora 5.1.  The addresses made all the transitions
intact, and I like the address information display in TB better than Eudora.

Just another data point.

-- garyZ
0
Gary
2/27/2005 10:51:35 PM
Gary Zimmerman kindly wrote on 27/02/2005 23:51:
> Robin Chapple wrote:
>> Thunderbird made a complete mess of copying the address book from
>> Eudora and I am not prepared to reconstruct it.
>
> It worked great for me.  My address book was in Eudora 6.2.1,
> recently upgraded from Eudora 5.1.  The addresses made all the
> transitions intact, and I like the address information display in TB
> better than Eudora.

It may be okay if you've only got one email address per address book
entry, but my address book with plenty of mailing lists and phone
numbers in it was unusable after TBird was done with importing.

--
Peter
0
Jim Byrd kindly wrote on 27/02/2005 03:40:
> What does it have for spam filtering? For Eudora, Spamnix is an
> excellent plug-in spam filter that catches almost everything. Is there
> anything similar for Thunderbird?

It's got a built-in spam filter that works miraculously well. When
Eudora's spam filter was new, I was amazed at how much stuff it caught.
With TBird, though, I'm still stunned. It's really very good, right out
of the box.

--
Peter
0
Francis Burton kindly wrote on 26/02/2005 12:12:
> Does it do everything that Eudora does?

No, but then it's a different program. It does a few things that Eudora
doesn't, so what?

> Is it as stable as Eudora?

Absolutely.

> Is it as "comfortable"?

That surely lies in the eye of the beholder. You'll need a few
extensions for all the functionality you've got used to with Eudora, but
in the end it's really quite good.

> Is it as configurable?

I'd probably say yes. Eudora has quite a few strong points, as does
TBird. With TBird, you've got lots of extensions, and you can tweak
almost anything in the about:config dialog.

--
Peter
0
Adamski kindly wrote on 27/02/2005 01:23:
> I certainly don't think
> it gives as many problems with, say, using multiple personalities as
> does Eudora.

Now that is certainly something that Eudora does exceptionally well.
Setting up different SMTP servers, for example, in TBird that use the
same domain but different user logins is still a pain in the arse with
TBird -- unless you've got the right extension. ;> (If you're curious:
"Show SMTP username".)

--
Peter
0
Mutlley kindly wrote on 27/02/2005 20:18:
> One thing it won't do is "redirect " an email rather than forward.

It will. The extension is called "Mail Redirect".

--
Peter
0
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:48:13 -0800, Gary Zimmerman wrote:

>Howard Kaikow wrote:

>> When Thunderbird receives mail, you have to go searching thru the mailboxes
>> to find the messages. The alternative is create an search and then search
>> for the messages after the fact. This is very annoying.
>
>Not sure what you mean here.  I've set up a few filters, and when new
>mail comes, the mailboxes where it resides are bolded, just like in
>Eudora.  No problem finding the new ones, but maybe I'm not
>understanding you.

I think I know what Gary means here. TB unfortunately emoldens ALL
your profile names (if you have a multi-profile setup) - and "Local
Folders" - regardless of whether they've just recieved new mail.

There's no easy (visual) way of knowing which of the profiles just got
mail.

I'm a bit wary of discussing TB in a Eudora newsgroup, so to counter
that - this highlighting is one thing Eudora *does* get right!

Adam.
0
Adam
2/28/2005 12:38:47 AM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:51:35 -0800, Gary Zimmerman
<garyzim@NOexciteSPAM.com> wrote:

>It worked great for me.  My address book was in Eudora 6.2.1, recently
>upgraded from Eudora 5.1.  The addresses made all the transitions
>intact, and I like the address information display in TB better than Eudora.

I have put my evidence on a web page. Unreliable is the only comment.

http://www.rotary9790.org.au/test/eudora4.htm

Robin Chapple

>Robin Chapple wrote:
>> Thunderbird made a complete mess of copying the address book from
>> Eudora and I am not prepared to reconstruct it.
0
Robin
2/28/2005 6:29:39 AM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:22:41 +0100, Peter Beattie wrote:

>Adamski kindly wrote on 27/02/2005 01:23:
>> I certainly don't think
>> it gives as many problems with, say, using multiple personalities as
>> does Eudora.
>
>Now that is certainly something that Eudora does exceptionally well.
>Setting up different SMTP servers, for example, in TBird that use the
>same domain but different user logins is still a pain in the arse with
>TBird -- unless you've got the right extension. ;> (If you're curious:
>"Show SMTP username".)

I've no experience of setting up different *SMTP* servers with TB
(mine all use the same one) so I'm sure you're right.

On the other hand - I've seen many posts here that have complained
about messages going out with the wrong personality somewhere in the
header - seemed to have started with the later versions of Eudora.

Again - I personally haven't had such problems (lucky me!) but I was
under the impression that there were problems in that area.

Adam.

0
Adam
2/28/2005 9:48:20 AM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:18:37 +1300, Mutlley <mutley2000@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>One thing it won't do is "redirect " an email rather than forward. .
>Something I use quite allot with Eudora..

There is an extension called Mail Redirect (see the TB extension pages
at Mozilla) that configures TB to do just this.

0
BobT
2/28/2005 2:22:08 PM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:45:26 -0500, "Howard Kaikow"
<kaikow@standards.com> wrote:

>For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size (don't
>know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird aborts
>reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and read
>messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.

See if you can figure out the max size.  I've received attachments up
to around 5 MB (nothing bigger happens to have arrived so far in my
tests) with no problem.

>It is not possible to map all Eudora filters to Thunderbird filters.

That surely is the truth.  The filter capability is nowhere near as
good as Eudora, which isn't very good either.

>When Thunderbird receives mail, you have to go searching thru the mailboxes
>to find the messages. The alternative is create an search and then search
>for the messages after the fact. This is very annoying.

I don't understand the problem.  Except for new messages moved to
particular folders by filter action, TB can be configured to place all
new messages in a single inbox.  If you want to, that is.  I don't,
but I've tested and it works.

>Documentation is sparse and not well organized.

Open source software often, maybe usually, starts off this way.
Things tend to improve, but slowly.

0
BobT
2/28/2005 2:32:04 PM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:23:18 +1300, Adamski <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On 26 Feb 2005 11:12:38 GMT, Francis Burton wrote:
>
>>In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>>Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>>>I like it.
>>>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
>
>>Does it do everything that Eudora does?
>For the *average* user - abslolutely ...yes. Much of the more recent
>additions (emoticons etc.) seem [to me] to be just useless junk
>(emoticons etc.).
>
>I ran the two in parallel for a while, then switched to TB. There's
>hardly a function that I find I miss from Eudora.
>
>>Is it as stable as Eudora?
>I don't think I've had a crash in TB yet. Mind you, my Eudora setup
>always seemd pretty stable - at least compared to many of the troubled
>posters here.
>
>>Is it as "comfortable"?
>>Is it as configurable?
>As with changing from any well-used program to another, it takes a
>little getting used to. It has the odd "quirk" but once set up, just
>sits there and lets you get on with the job. I certainly don't think
>it gives as many problems with, say, using multiple personalities as
>does Eudora.
>
>Eudora has served me well overs the years, and I tend to stay loyal to
>a good product (that's why I keep poking my nose into this group).
>However - Eudora has become expensive to maintain and I feel the
>developers have lost the plot. So called "upgrades" (that take *years*
>to arrive) have become just minor tweaks with additional fripperies,
>whilst glaring bugs apper to remain unfixed (or introduced).
>
>I really thought I wasn't going to stick with Eudora for much longer.
>My brief flirtation with Thunderbird has developed into a full-blown
>affair <g>.
>
>There are probably just too many variations of useage to compare
>directly - point by point. I'd do what someone else suggested - just
>run the two in tandem for a while and see what suits *you*.
>
>Adam.

I just recently installed TB and so far I do not care much for it at
all.  I agree any new software takes getting used to, but I have
always been the person who likes or dislikes software in the first
hour of use.  If I like it, its rare I will dislike it later.  If I
dislike it in the first hour, I do not recall ever sticking with the
software.  So, I doubt I will continue with it.  I could not even
explain why, other than the fact I am finding it clumbsy and lacking
the things I want in email software.  Of course I have used Eudora for
10 years or so.  I started using it with Windows 3,1.
So, it's hard to change.  I have three 2 complaints with Eudora, and
it all boils down to the way Eudora hogs memory.  The 3.x versions
were quick and easy.  After that, Eudora turned into a memory hog.  If
Eudora is receiving or sneding email, I may as well leave the
computer, because I can not retrieve a website or newsgroups.  Eudora
3.x loaded fast, but once I got to the 4.x versions, it got real slow
to load. Eudora also tends to crash fiarly often when people put lots
of pictures in my email.  I have solved most of that by telling the
people to send me only plain text messages.  The other thing is the
fact that Eudora does not allow eliminating html content in messages.

Yet, I still like Eudora much better than TB.  I just want to go back
to Eudora 3.x.  I never understood why people need all the nonsense
they send in email.  The key word is "mail".  Generally the mailbox
contains a white paper with black text.  Maybe a logo if it is
business related.  Why should email contain so much junk?  Emoticons
are one of the newest and most assenine additions that serve no
purpose at all, (except for those under the age of 16 who think a
computer is a toy).

For the person that was complaining that Eudora does not upgrade often
enough, I ask, what the hell more do you want? This is EMAIL.  What
more can you possibly do with it?  I personally would like to see
Eudora downgrade in order to make it faster and eliminate all the
useless toys.  But I answered my own question when I said I want to go
back to version 3,x.

With that said, I still prefer Eudora.  TB takes even longer than
Eudora to load, and I see no advantages whatsoever.  I would have
deleted it by now, if it were not for the fact that I love Firefox,
and rarely use IE anymore.  But TB just dont "trip my trigger" and I
am afraid it never will.

0
myself
2/28/2005 5:46:52 PM
<kaikow@standards.com> wrote:

>No.
>
>I started using Thunderbird in December.
>
>It has several shortcomings.
>
>For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size (don't
>know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird aborts
>reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and read
>messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.
>
>It is not possible to map all Eudora filters to Thunderbird filters.

If this is the case. I will be removing it immediately.  There's no
sense continuing to try to convince myself to like this software
(which I really do not like), if it has this limitation.  My email is
too valuable to lose because of bad software and some idiot that is
sending me huge attachments that I never wanted in the first place.
Unfortunately I got such a person (I guess we all do), that has to
send all sorts high graphic content GARBAGE.  I finally added them to
my kill filter, but the mail is still downloaded off my server before
it goes in the trash, so I got to wait as much as a half hour to get
the email I want.  I finally solved that by setting a limit filesize
to download, which means that when someone else sends an attachment, I
got to retrieve it a second time.  All because of one rude person who
thinks it's cute to annoy others with crap email that he forwards to
several hundred persons.  I just wish there was a way to filter such
messages from ever appearing on my server.

Anyhow, I was getting long winded, but if TB locks me out of further
email because some idiot sent me garbage, I am done with it now.
0
myself
2/28/2005 6:05:38 PM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:38:47 +1300, Adam <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I'm a bit wary of discussing TB in a Eudora newsgroup, so to counter
>that - this highlighting is one thing Eudora *does* get right!
>
>Adam.

WHY?
Sure this is an Eudora newsgroup, but if we dont discuss the
competition, how will we ever learn what they offer and what they
dont.  It's just like awhile back when someone had the audacity to
post something about another online auction in an Ebay discussion
group and someone got all bent out of shape about it.  In that case,
Ebay was the loser.  In this case, Eudora is still the winner in my
opinion, but others will surely disagree.

Now if you posted on here a discussion about cooking, you might upset
a few people, almost as much as if you had posted one of those
messages that say "Enlarge Your Pens"  Why would anyone want 14 inch
pens?  Their desk would be too small for pens that big......

0
myself
2/28/2005 6:19:47 PM
On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 14:16:03 -0700, RWEmerson
<foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

>> There is no built-in way to do some things. For example, it is useful to be
>> able to save a message without its attachments in the mailbox, No built-in
>> way to do this.
>
>Can't do this in Eudora either I don't believe.

You'd better believe it.

>If you can (without
>deleting) please say how.

It's that way by default with every version of Eudora I've ever used.
Attachments are stored in a default attachment directory, never in a
mailbox.
0
Andrew
2/28/2005 6:47:45 PM
Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> I like it.

Good for you. I recently tried Thunderbird as a newsreader.
Total crap: no threading (that i could figure out at least),
no binary support - don't even think of yEnc.
I'd even "recommend" OE over Thunderbird for news ...

It may be OK as a mail client - if you are used to OE.
Didn't try that part - I'm not interested.
Been using Eudora for 15 years, and kind of like it :-)

--
I recommend Macs to my friends, and Intel machines
to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour
myself@no-email.com said the following on 2/28/05 12:46 PM:

> [...]
>are one of the newest and most assenine additions that serve no
>purpose at all, (except for those under the age of 16 who think a
>computer is a toy).
>
>For the person that was complaining that Eudora does not upgrade often
>enough, I ask, what the hell more do you want? This is EMAIL.  What
>more can you possibly do with it?  I personally would like to see
>Eudora downgrade in order to make it faster and eliminate all the
>useless toys.  But I answered my own question when I said I want to go
>back to version 3,x.
>
>With that said, I still prefer Eudora.  TB takes even longer than
>Eudora to load, and I see no advantages whatsoever.  I would have
>deleted it by now, if it were not for the fact that I love Firefox,
>and rarely use IE anymore.  But TB just dont "trip my trigger" and I

Well, I agree with you, to a point. I use TB for newsgroups; Eudora for
mail. I recently decided to drop back from 6.2.1.2 to 6.1.2 due to the
constant crashing. I might go back to 3.0.5 if there was a junk filter
in it. Oh, well.

Rick
0
Rick
2/28/2005 8:24:12 PM
Anders Ekl�f said the following on 2/28/05 1:56 PM:

>Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
>>I like it.
>>

>Good for you. I recently tried Thunderbird as a newsreader.
>Total crap: no threading (that i could figure out at least),
>no binary support - don't even think of yEnc.
>I'd even "recommend" OE over Thunderbird for news ...
>
>It may be OK as a mail client - if you are used to OE.
>Didn't try that part - I'm not interested.
>Been using Eudora for 15 years, and kind of like it :-)

Threads just fine, here. Post back with an email address I can figure
out, if yours is munged, if you want more info, and I'll try to show you.

Rick
0
Rick
2/28/2005 8:29:45 PM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:24:12 -0500, Rick wrote:

>Well, I agree with you, to a point. I use TB for newsgroups; Eudora for
>mail. I recently decided to drop back from 6.2.1.2 to 6.1.2 due to the
>constant crashing. I might go back to 3.0.5 if there was a junk filter
>in it. Oh, well.

If you don't need SSL, K9 works as well as the junk filter
provided with Eudora 6.  If you need SSL, then I guess
3.0.5 won't work anyway.

http://www.keir.net/k9.html   <----- free

Eudora 5 & 6 used to crash or hang a couple of times a
week; then I re-installed all my software when I upgraded
my mainboard/cpu/video card, and not one crash or hang
since.  I guess I'll never know for sure if it was a video
driver incompatibility or a conflict with something left
behind by an incomplete uninstallation, but I suspect
the video driver.

Erik
0
Erik
2/28/2005 8:50:13 PM
Don't forget, TB has a built in newsreader and RSS reader.
If you find that it is loading slowly, you may need to archive some of
your mail.
Email clients are not designed as repositories for years worth of
messages or volumes of large attachments.
Almost any email client will become faster if you archive older
messages and limit what you keep active to a year or less.

0
Mr
2/28/2005 10:58:47 PM
"RWEmerson" <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote in message
> > For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size
(don't
> > know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird
aborts
> > reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and
read
> > messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.
>
> Sounds more like an ISP-related imitation. I've successfully received
> attachments up to >10 megs with no problem

Not an ISP limitation. I can use Eudora to fetch the mail. But Thunderbird
has the problem I described.

> > It is not possible to map all Eudora filters to Thunderbird filters.
>
> True - but some work is required for any program, including Eudora.

Thunderbird is missing some filtering capability so no amount of work can
overcome this limitation.

> > When Thunderbird receives mail, you have to go searching thru the
mailboxes
> > to find the messages. The alternative is create an search and then
search
> > for the messages after the fact. This is very annoying.
>
> Why - I've never had difficulty finding newly received messages.

You must have a lot simpler mailbox heirarchy.
Thunderbird does have the problem I described.

> > There is no built-in way to do some things. For example, it is useful to
be
> > able to save a message without its attachments in the mailbox, No
built-in
> > way to do this.
>
> Can't do this in Eudora either I don't believe. If you can (without
> deleting) please say how.

Eudora does not store the attachment within the message, so you are free to
move the attachment where you wish.

In Thunderbird, the attachments are in the messahe and cannot be saved
separately, tho somebody claims to have an extension to do so,

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:20:09 AM
"Gary Zimmerman" <garyzim@NOexciteSPAM.com> wrote in message
> It would be for me too.  Did you check all the option settings - maybe
> this is something you can control or turn off.
>
> I just installed TB to try it last night.  There is an option setting
> for this.  If you right-click the mail account and choose properties (or
> get to the properties tabs in other ways) there's one group or tab for
> Disk Space.  That has a checkable/uncheckable option that says "To save
> disk space, do not download any emails larger than ____", and you can
> either make that a big number or just uncheck the option.

I know about that option.
I do not have that option checked, so I am not limiting the space.
And I have tried a large number to no avail,

There must be a built-in default that is getting used that I am unable to
override.
I looked thru the various options/preference files and did not see anything
that might apply.
I expect that there is an option that can be forced, but I do not know the
setting ang nobody has responded to my postings on this issue in the
Thunderbird forums.

There are other options that seem to have a mind of their own, but this one
is the killer.

> Maybe be true, but I don't use any really fancy things in my filters -
> just basically have it check the From line and move the email message to
> a folder based on that.  To that extent, the filtering seems to work the
> same in both.  If you do fancier stuff, TB probably can't handle it yet.

To proberly filter one has to check things such as AnyHeader and
AnyRecipient, Thunderbird lacks this.

Also, Thunderbird does not allow a combination of AND and OR, making it
impossible to do some types of filtering.

> Not sure what you mean here.  I've set up a few filters, and when new
> mail comes, the mailboxes where it resides are bolded, just like in
> Eudora.  No problem finding the new ones, but maybe I'm not
> understanding you.

I have found two problems.

1. The mailboxes are not always bolded.
2. I have a very complex mailbox hierarchy, so it's time consuming to look
thru the criters.

I just defined an Incoming Search mailbox and search for messages that way.
It builds a list of the messages just received.

A faster way is to use a filter log, but the log does not contain links to
the messages.

A good email program should be building a list of the messages just received
with a link to each message.

> > There is no built-in way to do some things. For example, it is useful to
be
> > able to save a message without its attachments in the mailbox, No
built-in
> > way to do this.
>
> I didn't know you could do this with Eudora.  I probably don't need it,
 but it's neat to know.

Eudora saves the attachments separately from the message, so you can
copy/move them anywhere.
Not so with Thunderbird.

> > Does not provide an interface for VB/VBA programming.
>
> Didn't know Eudora did that either, but I don't really need it.

Eudora does have VBA interface, but does not expose all of the Eudora
functionality in VB.

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:36:21 AM
"Adam" <anon@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> I'm a bit wary of discussing TB in a Eudora newsgroup, so to counter
> that - this highlighting is one thing Eudora *does* get right!

Not always, but it does pop open the mailboxes.

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:37:55 AM
"BobT" <fake@invalid.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:45:26 -0500, "Howard Kaikow"
> <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:
>

> >For example, I cannot receive mail with an attachment over some size
(don't
> >know the size) and when such a message is encountered, Thunderbird aborts
> >reading the incoming mail queue, leaving remaining messages unread and
read
> >messages are left on the mail server. This is just about a show stopper.
>
> See if you can figure out the max size.  I've received attachments up
> to around 5 MB (nothing bigger happens to have arrived so far in my
> tests) with no problem.

So have I.

I expect that the installation has somehow gotten corrupted.
I'll re-install when the update is released, supposedly this week.

> I don't understand the problem.  Except for new messages moved to
> particular folders by filter action, TB can be configured to place all
> new messages in a single inbox.  If you want to, that is.  I don't,
> but I've tested and it works.

Yes, the problem is that messages are filtered upon receipt.
I could allow all the messages to go in one inbox and filter afterwards.
Not something that has to be done with Eudora.

> Open source software often, maybe usually, starts off this way.
> Things tend to improve, but slowly.

Firefox has improved its documentation.
Thunderbird is dragging its documentation.

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:43:58 AM
> If this is the case. I will be removing it immediately.  There's no
> sense continuing to try to convince myself to like this software
> (which I really do not like), if it has this limitation.  My email is
> too valuable to lose because of bad software and some idiot that is
> sending me huge attachments that I never wanted in the first place.
> Unfortunately I got such a person (I guess we all do), that has to
> send all sorts high graphic content GARBAGE.  I finally added them to
> my kill filter, but the mail is still downloaded off my server before
> it goes in the trash, so I got to wait as much as a half hour to get
> the email I want.  I finally solved that by setting a limit filesize
> to download, which means that when someone else sends an attachment, I
> got to retrieve it a second time.  All because of one rude person who
> thinks it's cute to annoy others with crap email that he forwards to
> several hundred persons.  I just wish there was a way to filter such
> messages from ever appearing on my server.
>
> Anyhow, I was getting long winded, but if TB locks me out of further
> email because some idiot sent me garbage, I am done with it now.

I do not lose the mail, but I have to download with Eudora.

I go to my ISP's webmail to delete the critters.

Currently, I use  Thunderbird as the defaul tmail program.
But I still have Eudora, modified to disable filters and put everything on a
single In mailbox, and leave mail on the server so Thunderbird can also
download.

I do most of the initial filtering at my ISP using an implementation of
Sieve (RFC 3028) provided by my ISP. Last I checked, it was killing hundreds
of messages per day before I even downloaded mail.

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:51:16 AM
I had no trouble with the address  book.

--
"Robin Chapple" <robinski@ANTI_SPAMmelbpc.org.au> wrote in message
> Thunderbird made a complete mess of copying the address book from
> Eudora and I am not prepared to reconstruct it.
>
> On 26 Feb 2005 11:12:38 GMT, fburton@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:
>
> >In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> >Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >>Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> >>I like it.
> >>Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
> >
> >Does it do everything that Eudora does?
> >Is it as stable as Eudora?
> >Is it as "comfortable"?
> >Is it as configurable?
> >
> >These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
> >(or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
> >switching.
> >
> >Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?
> >
> >Francis

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:52:10 AM
I've not tried Thunderbird for news, still use OE.

--
"Anders Ekl�f" <andekl_no@saaf_spam.se> wrote in message
> Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> > I like it.
>
> Good for you. I recently tried Thunderbird as a newsreader.
> Total crap: no threading (that i could figure out at least),
> no binary support - don't even think of yEnc.
> I'd even "recommend" OE over Thunderbird for news ...
>
> It may be OK as a mail client - if you are used to OE.
> Didn't try that part - I'm not interested.
> Been using Eudora for 15 years, and kind of like it :-)
>
> --
> I recommend Macs to my friends, and Intel machines
> to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

0
Howard
3/1/2005 2:54:22 AM
On 28 Feb 2005 14:58:47 -0800, "Mr. D" <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Don't forget, TB has a built in newsreader and RSS reader.
>If you find that it is loading slowly, you may need to archive some of
>your mail.
>Email clients are not designed as repositories for years worth of
>messages or volumes of large attachments.
>Almost any email client will become faster if you archive older
>messages and limit what you keep active to a year or less.

Hmmmmmmmmm, TB sucked out ALL of my Eudora email.  I save ALL email,
(except spam and junk) and have about 10 years of saved emails.  They
are in folders for each year, ex: 2004 2003 2002 ----> all the way
back to 1994.  It took a half hour to install because of that.  I
really did NOT want that.  I only wanted it to retrieve my settings
from Eudora but it never said what it was gonna do. It just did it.

I do not want to delete the old email from my computer, and plan to
keep Eudora no matter what.  How can I remove all that old mail from
TB (only)?  I wanted it to start out fresh....

PS. Did it COPY all that old email?  It does bring up all my old
folders, but I can not see copies in the TB directory or sub-dirs.  I
assume it is reading right out of my Eudora dirs.  TB is taking about
2- 3  minuted to load.  Eudora is taking about half that time.

I did not think Eudora loaded all that old stuff, Except my Inbox and
Outbox (which the inbox is still relatively small since the year is
fairly new, but the outbox is huge).
0
myself
3/1/2005 3:06:26 AM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:05:38 -0600, "myself@no-email.com" wrote in
message-id <4lm621l5o68cfhrj3rfgkp8vra3h3gr703@4ax.com>:

>My email is
>too valuable to lose because of bad software and some idiot that is
>sending me huge attachments that I never wanted in the first place.
>Unfortunately I got such a person (I guess we all do), that has to
>send all sorts high graphic content GARBAGE.  I finally added them to
>my kill filter, but the mail is still downloaded off my server before
>it goes in the trash, so I got to wait as much as a half hour to get
>the email I want.  I finally solved that by setting a limit filesize
>to download, which means that when someone else sends an attachment, I
>got to retrieve it a second time.  All because of one rude person who
>thinks it's cute to annoy others with crap email that he forwards to
>several hundred persons.  I just wish there was a way to filter such
>messages from ever appearing on my server.

I have some email accounts that receive unwanted email so I just check
those individual accounts first using MailWasher. MW doesn't download
bodies, just the headers and a little bit of text from the body.

Then you are able to choose to delete the email on the server or
download the email with your email program.
--

 -.'.-  Les
0

> I've not tried Thunderbird for news, still use OE.

Try Xnews for USENET.

--
matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com

If you wish to send private email
please pull my finger . . . thanks!
0
Matthew
3/1/2005 7:04:02 AM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:19:47 -0600, myself@no-email.com wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:38:47 +1300, Adam <anon@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm a bit wary of discussing TB in a Eudora newsgroup, so to counter
>>that - this highlighting is one thing Eudora *does* get right!
>>
>>Adam.
>

>WHY?
>Sure this is an Eudora newsgroup, but if we dont discuss the
>competition, how will we ever learn what they offer and what they
>dont.  It's just like awhile back when someone had the audacity to
>post something about another online auction in an Ebay discussion
>group and someone got all bent out of shape about it.  In that case,
>Ebay was the loser.  In this case, Eudora is still the winner in my
>opinion, but others will surely disagree.
>
>Now if you posted on here a discussion about cooking, you might upset
>a few people, almost as much as if you had posted one of those
>messages that say "Enlarge Your Pens"  Why would anyone want 14 inch
>pens?  Their desk would be too small for pens that big......

Hehe ... you're quite right - on all counts <g>. This NG is actually
quite good at staying on-topic.

Back to one of your other points - about "not liking" software for no
apparent reason. I actually feel the same way.

I've also useed Eudora for around 10yrs - and got to like the
interface quite a lot. The switch to TB left me somewhat
"underwhelmed". It *does* seem clunky by comparison. But, I stuck with
it, as I'm a great fan of Firebird - and that's turned out to be a
beaut of a browser.

I'm hoping this ugly duckling will turn into a swan <ggg>.

Adam.
0
Adamski
3/1/2005 10:17:39 AM
In article <oql6215kjgnjeng8qs2kan1b4s86o5k162@4ax.com>,
 <myself@no-email.com> wrote:
>Yet, I still like Eudora much better than TB.  I just want to go back
>to Eudora 3.x.

So why don't you? (Serious question, btw.) Me - I never left 3.0(32).

>  I never understood why people need all the nonsense
>they send in email.

You mean, like html? In my experience, it is not worth all the trouble
it causes. Why would one want to mess with fonts or styles anyway? If
appearance is =that= important, send a Word file. For me it's easier
to emphasize a word by typing a couple of extra characters than futzing
around with the mouse and toolbars.

>For the person that was complaining that Eudora does not upgrade often
>enough, I ask, what the hell more do you want?

Bigger, brighter, =animated= emoticons! :-) :-( :-)

>This is EMAIL.  What
>more can you possibly do with it?  I personally would like to see
>Eudora downgrade in order to make it faster and eliminate all the
>useless toys.

I would pay good money for that.

>With that said, I still prefer Eudora.  TB takes even longer than
>Eudora to load, and I see no advantages whatsoever.

Uh oh. In this day and age, there is no excuse for any program to
take over a second to load. Why is it so slow?

Francis
0
fburton
3/1/2005 10:34:46 AM
In article <1109631527.259751.280150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Don't forget, TB has a built in newsreader and RSS reader.

Yet another case of "jack of all trades, master of none"? Bleah!

>If you find that it is loading slowly, you may need to archive some of
>your mail.
>Email clients are not designed as repositories for years worth of
>messages or volumes of large attachments.

The trouble is the newest versions of Eudora have nice searching
facilities, specifically tailored to email. I want to be able to
search the last ten years' worth of email and have matching messages
displayed in a meaningful way, preferably with threading.

A decent component-based system would be able to do that (e.g. a
search app could call on the services of an email client's display
module). Unfortunately no such system exists yet, as far as I know -
certainly not in the mainstream.

>Almost any email client will become faster if you archive older
>messages and limit what you keep active to a year or less.

While true, that limits its usefulness considerably for some users.

Francis
0
fburton
3/1/2005 10:45:57 AM
My recollection is that Thunderbird gives you an option on what to import.

In any case, just delete the mailboxes you don't want, best done via the
Thunderbird interface.

--
> On 28 Feb 2005 14:58:47 -0800, "Mr. D" <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >Don't forget, TB has a built in newsreader and RSS reader.
> >If you find that it is loading slowly, you may need to archive some of
> >your mail.
> >Email clients are not designed as repositories for years worth of
> >messages or volumes of large attachments.
> >Almost any email client will become faster if you archive older
> >messages and limit what you keep active to a year or less.
>
> Hmmmmmmmmm, TB sucked out ALL of my Eudora email.  I save ALL email,
> (except spam and junk) and have about 10 years of saved emails.  They
> are in folders for each year, ex: 2004 2003 2002 ----> all the way
> back to 1994.  It took a half hour to install because of that.  I
> really did NOT want that.  I only wanted it to retrieve my settings
> from Eudora but it never said what it was gonna do. It just did it.
>
> I do not want to delete the old email from my computer, and plan to
> keep Eudora no matter what.  How can I remove all that old mail from
> TB (only)?  I wanted it to start out fresh....
>
> PS. Did it COPY all that old email?  It does bring up all my old
> folders, but I can not see copies in the TB directory or sub-dirs.  I
> assume it is reading right out of my Eudora dirs.  TB is taking about
> 2- 3  minuted to load.  Eudora is taking about half that time.
>
> I did not think Eudora loaded all that old stuff, Except my Inbox and
> Outbox (which the inbox is still relatively small since the year is
> fairly new, but the outbox is huge).

0
Howard
3/1/2005 11:09:50 AM
I believe that Thunderbird has a search mechanism at least as powerful as
Eudora's.

--
> In article <1109631527.259751.280150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >Don't forget, TB has a built in newsreader and RSS reader.
>
> Yet another case of "jack of all trades, master of none"? Bleah!
>
> >If you find that it is loading slowly, you may need to archive some of
> >your mail.
> >Email clients are not designed as repositories for years worth of
> >messages or volumes of large attachments.
>
> The trouble is the newest versions of Eudora have nice searching
> facilities, specifically tailored to email. I want to be able to
> search the last ten years' worth of email and have matching messages
> displayed in a meaningful way, preferably with threading.
>
> A decent component-based system would be able to do that (e.g. a
> search app could call on the services of an email client's display
> module). Unfortunately no such system exists yet, as far as I know -
> certainly not in the mainstream.
>
> >Almost any email client will become faster if you archive older
> >messages and limit what you keep active to a year or less.
>
> While true, that limits its usefulness considerably for some users.
>
> Francis

0
Howard
3/1/2005 11:11:36 AM
OE is satisfactory for my newsreading needs.

--
"Matthew Carrick" <matthew.carrick@myfinger.gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in news:d00lfm$95e$1
> @pyrite.mv.net:
>
> > I've not tried Thunderbird for news, still use OE.
> >

> Try Xnews for USENET.
>
> --
> matthew.carrick@myfingergmail.com
>
> If you wish to send private email
> please pull my finger . . . thanks!

0
Howard
3/1/2005 11:14:12 AM
BobT,

I've been looking for this extension but can't find it.
Can you post the link please?

0
Mr
3/1/2005 1:51:31 PM
Salut/Hi myself@no-email.com,

 le/on Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:06:26 -0600, tu disais/you said:-

>I did not think Eudora loaded all that old stuff, Except my Inbox and
>Outbox (which the inbox is still relatively small since the year is
>fairly new, but the outbox is huge).

It doesn't unless you have a window open. While my emails don't go back 10
years, they do go back quite a bit, and like you, I tend to keep everything.
However:-

1:- I store almost nothing in my inbox or outbox, automatically filtering
most mail into appropriate mbxs and the rest into "General Correspondence".

2:- About once every six months or I archive the penultimate 6 months'
worth. So in January '05 I put Jan to June '04 into an archive, keeping July
to Dec in the mbx. All these mbxs and archives, compressed or not can be
searched via Global Search, and searched impressively fast, as it happens.

When I download my mail, the mbx into which it is filtered becomes opened,
and its listing is in bold, so I always know where stuff has been put. Once
I've answered it, and sent the reply, I close the MBX again, so in general
Eudora only has the IN and OUT Mbxs open. I couldn't say exactly how long it
takes to load completely, but not long - perhaps 3-4 seconds. I wonder if
the difference couldn't be down to the size of your out mbx which _does_ get
loaded into memory.

I'd strongly recommend at the very least setting up a new MBX called "sent
mail" Then you could set up a filter so that mail once sent gets moved
there.

I don't work that way at all. I set up reciprocal rules in my filter. If a
message "from" my brother gets moved into "Family" mbx, then at the same
time I set up the filter to work on "outward bound" messages and the rule
would be OR header TO hisname would move to Family.

In fact, for the family I do it quite differently. I have an address book
entry with the nickname "family". In the "expand to" window I have the email
addresses of all my family members with emails. That means that with one
click I can round robin the entire family. But better, I can filter as
follows.

Match (all three) IN OUT Manual all active.

Header from:
intersects nickname   family

OR

Header to:
intersects nickname   family

action

Transfer to mbx family

skip rest.

Which will automatically filter all incoming and outgoing messages to the
same mbx, which is much easier to use to follow conversations.

I have similar filters for my regular contacts, and for business
correpondence.

A further advantage of all this is that I keep my OUT mbx small or virtually
empty.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare
On 01 Mar 2005 10:45:57 GMT, fburton@nyx.net (Francis Burton) wrote:

>In article <1109631527.259751.280150@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>Don't forget, TB has a built in newsreader and RSS reader.
>
>Yet another case of "jack of all trades, master of none"? Bleah!

I didnt even know that TB did newsgroups, nor am I willing to leave
Forte Agent.

>>If you find that it is loading slowly, you may need to archive some of
>>your mail.
>>Email clients are not designed as repositories for years worth of
>>messages or volumes of large attachments.
>
>The trouble is the newest versions of Eudora have nice searching
>facilities, specifically tailored to email. I want to be able to
>search the last ten years' worth of email and have matching messages
>displayed in a meaningful way, preferably with threading.

The 3.x versions of Eudora have horrible searching features.  That was
one reason I upgraded. However, I will be downgrading today.  I just
had Eudora 4.3 crash my computer again today, and a whole hour of
preparing an important email went to hell.  It just happens far too
often.  The minute I prepare a long email, it crashes.  I have been
forced to prepare all emails in Notepad then cut and paste them into
Eudora.  I never had that problem in EU 3.x.

I am going to see if there is a way to keep EU 4.3 and still use EU
3,x.  I will save EU 4.3 strictly for searching, and the rare
occasions that I want to view html content.

I DO NOT want to archive my old email.  Besides personal email, I run
a non-profit business and I MUST have access to old email for the
business, and I refer back to it often, at least the past 3 years.  I
could probably archive the first 7 years, but I need the most recent 3
years plus the present email, and need it one button away.  If I have
to archive and restore all the time, I will not be happy at all.

>A decent component-based system would be able to do that (e.g. a
>search app could call on the services of an email client's display
>module). Unfortunately no such system exists yet, as far as I know -
>certainly not in the mainstream.
>
>>Almost any email client will become faster if you archive older
>>messages and limit what you keep active to a year or less.
>
>While true, that limits its usefulness considerably for some users.
>
>Francis

0
myself

http://mailredirect.mozdev.org/

--
Peter
0

> I am going to see if there is a way to keep EU 4.3 and still use EU
> 3,x.  I will save EU 4.3 strictly for searching, and the rare
> occasions that I want to view html content.

  Try:
  Yes there is a way.
  Use Eudora 3.x as normal for all your sending / receiving E-Mail.

  Then Use Eudora 4.x or 5.x or 6.x just to do your searches.
  What you need to do is Install the Newer Version of Eudora into
  another Drive / Directory, then use Command Line Parameters
  on the higher version to point to your 3.x Mailboxes.  Make sure
  you also point to another Eudora.ini file or you will get all your
  settings messed up.

  Example:
  Your Installation for Eudora 3.x is in: C:\Eudora31 and it was installed
  with the default parms so your mailboxes are also in this directory.
  (Your In, Out and Trash Mailboxes are in this Directory)
  (Your Eudora.ini file is in this Directory)

  Then . . .
  1. Install the Eudora 4.x Version into C:\Eudora42
  2. Make the Command Line Parameter for the Eudora 4 Icon
     C:\EUDORA42\Eudora.exe C:\Eudora31 C:\Eudora42\Eudora.ini
     and you are all set.
  3. Set the Attachment directory the same one as the 3.x Version
  4. Set this higher version to a Mail Interval Check of 0 so it will
     never check for Mail and mess things up.

  Remember, if you send anything in 4.x and highter, it shows as
  HTML in the Out Mailbox even if you choose plain text.  So if
  you look a sent message from 4.x+ with Eudora 3.x, you will see
  all the formatting tags.  I complained big time about this and
  it has never been fixed.  The message is Sent as Plain Text but
  the Saved Copy is still in HTML format.

  This method works very well as long as you do not need any form
  of Authentication to get you mail from your ISP.
  --
  Over and Out
  Daniel Jacobson

0
daniel12
3/2/2005 3:43:42 AM
On 1 Mar 2005 05:51:31 -0800, "Mr. D" <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>BobT,
>
>I've been looking for this extension but can't find it.
>Can you post the link please?

http://mailredirect.mozdev.org/installation.html

0
BobT
3/2/2005 3:24:54 PM
I did a "side by side" for a few weeks.

TB was missing Eudora's "Speak" function.  TB's filtering was also not as
good.

I think TB shows promise.  But it's not yet ready to replace Eudora for me.

"Mr. D" <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> I like it.
> Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.

0
DG
3/2/2005 7:38:42 PM
Tried it. On my machine (win 98SE) dragging from any mailbox to the inbox
causes the message to disappear. I have emailed Thunderbird but I have also
removed the program. Eudora remains the best program for my personal use.

"Francis Burton" <fburton@nyx.net> wrote in message
> In article <1109371950.858480.206420@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> Mr. D <baum744@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >Recently tried Thunderbird 1.0 by Mozilla.
> >I like it.
> >Attention Eudora and Outlook users; switch, you'll be glad you did.
>
> Does it do everything that Eudora does?
> Is it as stable as Eudora?
> Is it as "comfortable"?
> Is it as configurable?
>
> These are some of the questions to which I would like answers
> (or reliable indications, at least) before I would consider
> switching.
>
> Are the any comparative reviews of different email clients?
>
> Francis

0
Charles
3/3/2005 6:23:12 AM
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:34:43 -0600, myself@no-email.com wrote:

>The 3.x versions of Eudora have horrible searching features.  That was
>one reason I upgraded. However, I will be downgrading today.  I just
>had Eudora 4.3 crash my computer again today, and a whole hour of
>preparing an important email went to hell.  It just happens far too

All true! I upgraded from 3.x also because of search and spam filters
issues. And have had a lot of satbility problems with initial Eudora
6.0 and also with the latest 6.2.1.

I've found that most stable is Eudora v. 6.0.1.1. No crashes as I can
remember - only I had to  exclude Eudora Spool directory from Symantec
Corporate AV scaning. That should not compromise security much, as
antivirus scans attachment when they are copied to Eudora Attachment
folder.

Tr

0
tr11
3/3/2005 11:07:39 AM
If you want to stick with Eudora but need better searching, why not
install either Google or Copernicus desktop search?

0
Mr
3/3/2005 12:43:23 PM
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:05:38 -0600, myself@no-email.com wrote:

>......All because of one rude person who
>thinks it's cute to annoy others with crap email that he forwards to
>several hundred persons.  I just wish there was a way to filter such
>messages from ever appearing on my server.

Mailwasher.pro (free for (1) acct)
gets on server but can be deleted at server.
don't go on without it.....
--=20
  Greg   using Agent 1.93/32.576  Opera 7.50 3778  news.individual.net & =
news.gmane.org
for sale: Apple//,Auto Parts/Equip/Manuals:    =
http://geardoc@geardoc36.hostingisfree.com
0
GregChi

Import mail archives from Eudora 6 for Windows to Eudora 6 for Mac
Good morning/evening everyone ! I am a french user of Eudora, and I encounter this problem : I precedently used Eudora on a Windows plateform ; and now I have bought a Macintosh (^-^) and I would want to recover my mail archives on the Macintosh. Is there a way to import these archives from the Eudora version which is installed on Windows, to the Mac Version ? Thank you for your help (and sorry, really, for my very bad english :/ ) Nakaori In <BBDC2EFB.936F%mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> Mad Youri <mad.youri@unseelie-court.net> wrote: > Good morning/evening ev...

Window eudora to Mac eudora
Hi All, I am going to buy a mac Ibook, but currently i am using window, and use the eudora to get email, is it any way to transfer or convert those email to Mac? Thanks in advance, <saipak@alumni.polyu.edu.hk> wrote: > I am going to buy a mac Ibook, but currently i am using window, and use the > eudora to get email, is it any way to transfer or convert those email to > Mac? There are ways to do this quite easily. Others, who have done it, will surely reply here in detail, but in the mean time look at <www.emailman.com/conversion> and see if what you nee...

How to transfer mail from Eudora to Eudora?
I need to transfer Eudors mail from one computer to another. Sometimes from my Powerbook 3400c/8.6/Eudora light to my PM 7200/8.6/Eudora Light, sometimes between Mac computers when I am upgrading to a 'new' computer. Is there an easy way way to transfer individual e-mails or the complete file between computers, preferably using zip disks? -- Free men own guns, slaves don't www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/ In article <nhull-D259DD.06454907112005@news1.east.earthlink.net>, Nick Hull <nhull@access4less.net> wrote: > I need to transfer Eudors ma...

Windows Eudora to Mac Eudora
Trying to get all my Windows Eudora v7.1 email folders/mailboxes converted to Mac Eudora 6.2 but the instructions on Qualcomm's site are incomplete. Does anyone have a step-by-step solution that they know works? Also - in the Windows version, the mailbox/folder list docks on the left side of the screen (above where Eudora used to have ads. Is there any way in the Mac version to control window placement and docking? One last question - Is this the only place to get active Eudora discussion/user support, or are there other forums for Mac users that are still active? Thanks...

Exporting Eudora mail *with* attachements (Eudora -> Mozilla mail)
For compatibility reasons (I'm using a dual-boot PC with Linux and Windows, and found a way to share Mozilla (1.7.2) between both platforms)I've moved away from Eudora over to Mozilla to handle all my mail needs. I've found a (cumbersome and slow) way to import Eudora MBOX format mailboxes into Mozilla, but this doesn't include attachements. In Eudora each message seems to have a file-path which points to the attachement, while in Mozilla the attachement is included in the message itself, encoded in BASE-64. How can I convert Eudora mailboxes to include t...

Eudora 8 is better than Eudora 7?
Hi, I'd like to know some news about Eudora 8. But I'd like to know news by a guy coming from Eudora 7. Thanks AroundTheWorld <AroundTheWorld@DELETEinterfree.it> wrote: > Hi, I'd like to know some news about Eudora 8. But I'd like to know > news by a guy coming from Eudora 7. You should know one thing: Eudora 8 is not Eudora - it's Thunderbird. -- I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour >You should know one thing: >Eudora 8 is not Eudora - it's Thunderbird. Ok I ...

Eudora for Windows mailboxes to Eudora for Mac
My searching has found numerous who have experienced my problem, but never a conclusion on how they fixed it. I've been using Eudora on Windows for many, many years... have several GB of email... and now I want to switch my environment over to Mac OS X... but my mail has to switch. Either Eudora for Mac or Apple Mail... but neither seems to import Eudora for Windows mail! Argh! Anyway, I've tried numerous things... including, of course, following the directions provided by Eudora, the directions found on MacNN, and directions found here. I've pulled over all the ...

Eudora Mac vs Eudora Windows
My husband uses Eudora 5 (sponsored) on his Mac (OS9) and Outlook on his Windows XP machine at work. He wants me to install Eudora at work because he hates Outlook. Most of his contacts are the same at home and office, so can I just drop a copy of his Eudora Address Book file into his Windows machine or is the Windows version a different type of file? If this can be done, where on the PC should I look for the Address Book to replace with the Mac file? nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote: > My husband uses Eudora 5 (sponsored) on his Mac (OS9) and Outlook on his >...

Eudora 6.2.5.6, I have it in paid mode even now is free all Eudoras and no longer exists but it was working till two days ago, I can send e-mails from it but cannot receive as I have error 200 saying
Then apear a message saying: the server certificate was rejected for the following reasons : error unknown : then when I click appears : do you want to trust in this certificate for future sessions. then the certicate is displayed as follow: Certificate: Data: Version: 3 (0x2) Serial Number: 903804111 (0x35def4cf) Signature Algorithm: sha1WithRSAEncryption Issuer: C=US, O=Equifax, OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority Validity Not Before: Aug 22 16:41:51 1998 GMT Not After : Aug 22 16:41:51 2018 GMT ...

Import from Eudora to Eudora???!!?
I am a Eudora 5.1 user and I just upgraded to 7. I'm shocked to discover that there's no way to simply say "take all of my accounts and filters and settings and stuff into 7". I have to re-enter all of my filters? All of my personalities? Are they kidding? I must be missing a menu option here, please help. thx Check out http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=7505 dterrors@hotmail.com wrote: > I am a Eudora 5.1 user and I just upgraded to 7. I'm shocked to > discover that there's no way to simply say "take all of my accoun...

Question about importing Eudora mail into Eudora 6.2
I just downloaded Eudora 6.2 and want it to import all the settings and mail from my old Eudora 4.2 OS 8.x program. It came with a import feature, but it would only work if I was using a later Eudora as my version was too old. Back in 2001 In tried Eudora 5.x or whatever version was latest at that time, but for some reason did not like it, or perhaps did not want to pay the money, so I removed it. Eudora 6.2 when installed copied all the Eudora 5.x settings and mail it so appears. Even though I am know running OS X, and I was then running OS 9.1. When I moved to OSX I did copy my...

Importing from Eudora to Eudora
Trying to import Eudora 5.2 mailboxes from the old computer into Eudora 6.0 on the new computer. (Networked and otherwise talking well). The Import/Export function doesn't find any valid mailboxes on the old system. Are they hidden elsewhere? Strange hidden proceedure? Me being too obtuse? Also am trying to avoid a copy/paste situation since we've been using the new computer for emails and don't want to loose anything downloaded since installation. Thanks in advance Thren@worldnet.att.net > > The Import/Export function doesn't find any valid mailb...

Export from Eudora to Eudora
Just trying to make a backup copy of all my email address in case of a hard drive crash. What file should I make a copy of? Thanks, Barney In article <Xns9BF9718D533LeicaLeicacom@69.16.185.250>, Leica@Leica.com says... > Just trying to make a backup copy of all my email address in case of a hard > drive crash. > > What file should I make a copy of? Address Book: ============= Should be 3 files total. These files are located in the *EUDORA* directory. Address Book: 1. NNDBASE.TOC - Address Book Table of Contents 2. NNDBASE.T...

Mac Eudora to Windows Eudora: losing recipient names in OUT.mbx
I've created new mailboxes, and copied all my business emails over to new IN and OUT mailboxes (with different, names). The remaining emails are personal emails and the IN and OUT mailboxes remain on the Mac with those personal emails only. I transfer the new MP-IN.mbx with the business emails via Fetch to an FTP server, using ASCII (text) conversion. I download the files from the FTP server to the PC using a PC-compatible FTP client into a new folder and these then open perfectly in the Eudora for Windows in that computer. However, when I do the same process with the business...

from Eudora for Mac to MS Outlook for windows
Any experts who could help me? I used Eudora 6.0 on my Mac and have been forced to use a PC running Microsoft Outlook for Windows XP at grad school. I was able to move my mail halfway, by installing Eudora 6.0 for WindowsXP and transferring my mailboxes by memory key, then adding a ".mbx" suffix. But 2 problems: 1 - Outlook won't import from Eudora 6.0. It demands Eudora 4.x or lower. WHERE CAN I FIND EUDORA 4.X OR LOWER? 2 - I can't figure out how to get my email address book into either the Eudora for Windows on my PC or even better into Outlook. All help de...

Sending Mail from Eudora Through Windows Live
My ISP recently switched over to using Windows Live to handle their email, meaning that I had to change my email settings for both incoming and outgoing mail in Eudora. (I use Eudora Light 6.2.3.4, just to clarify.) After a bit of fiddling, the incoming settings are working properly, but the outgoing settings are not. :/ Here is what they told me to use: Outgoing SMTP Server: smtp.live.com Outgoing SMTP Mail Port: 587 Authentication Required: Yes (Your Windows Live ID and password) TLS/SSL Required: Yes (Select TLS if available, if not select SSL) Under Sending Mail, I'v...

Eudora 4.3 Sending mail now...
Suddenly, Eudora is sending e-mail messages now, even though I scheduled those messages t/b sent in the future. How would I fix this problem? Thank you, Barry Karas Pronto <bkaras@mindspring.com> wrote: > Suddenly, Eudora is sending e-mail messages now, even though I > scheduled those messages t/b sent in the future. How would I fix this > problem? How big is your outbox? -- Katrina On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:22:50 GMT, Katrina Knight <kknight@epix.net> wrote: >How big is your outbox? One K. Barry Karas On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 17:22:50 G...

Migrating from Eudora 7.1.0.9 to Eudora OSE
I've been running Eudora 7.1.0.9 on Windows 7 64-bit systems for a couple o= f years now. It took me a while to work out that it worked better if I installed it at= =20 C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora but once I'd worked that out it worked fine. Sadly, I've had to change my information provider, and Eudora couldn't pick= up e-mail from the new information provider. I tried installing Thunderbird, but it wouldn't import my mail folders (whi= ch are big and complicated) even after I'd cleaned them up with Eudora Resc= ue. Eudora 7.1.0.9 reads ...

Eudora Pro Problem
I am a long time Eudora Pro user. I have never had a problem with it. I am using Eudora Pro 7.1.0.9. When downloading my e-mail. I had an error message which shut down Eudora Pro. When I re-opened Eudora Pro there was a message in the task area which read "recovering mail received during previous session." <Dominant>. When I re-open Eudora Pro I keep getting a message, "Eudora Encounter a Problem and Needs to Close. We are Sorry for the Inconvenience." How can I get out of this error and resume using Eudora Pro? Should I reinstall Eudora Pro?...

Morgle Link Mail to Eudora now on a secure server
Following earlier advice in this forum last month, Morgle Linkmail to OE6 and Eudora system has now been ported to a secure server. To maintain an optional and occasional anonymity overlay to a real email address, still using using Eudora as a client, a Morgle Linkmail address can employed. TJM www.morgle.com ...

Difference between Eudora and Eudora Pro
In version 6, what is the difference between Eudora and Eudora Pro? On the Eudora website they refer only to Eudora Paid, Sponsored and Light modes. What has "Pro" got to do with Eudora? Rachel M <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote in news:943B9B7602967rachel.ntlworld@130.133.1.4: > What has "Pro" got to do with Eudora? I think they dropped "Pro" when moodwatch came out because only an idiot would create something as useless and UN-PRO-fessional as it is. Rachel M <rachel_m@nicks.com> wrote: >In version 6, what is the difference...

Importing Eudora mail into Apple Mail
Having used Eudora for too many years, I now have a real mess in the references to attachments. Many of the attachments are no longer accessible from the messages that they arrived in, even though they are still in the attachments folder. The main issue here is that I have moved Eudora to a new machine every few years, and the startup disk has typically had a new name. This in itself is not a big problem, and Eudora still seems able to find the files. (But it does leave the reference in the mailbox with the old disk's name.) However, the other part of the reference is the...

Eudora option
MY EMail server requires me to login with a username and password. I connect with a DSL line and use Eudora as my email program. I can receive my mail, but because the SMTP requires me to enter a userid and password to the server to authenticate my address, how do I do that. Eudora 6.0 does not have a place to enter the userid and password. It only has a login name Is there anyone else connecting with DSL line into an email account requiring authentication and using Eudora? Please email me..thanks -- --------------------------------------------------- Lenny Laskowski, DT...

Web resources about - Eudora; now there is a better option - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows