f



migrating from Eudora OSE to Thunderbird

I understand this news group is not for Eudora OSE, but perhaps some
other person might have encountered the following situation.

I currently run Eudora OSE. I want to upgrade to Thunderbird. Consider
the following webpage;

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048274

> I took the tech's suggestion
>  Backed up Euroda files and simply installed Thunderbird
> VOILA ! When I launched Thunderbird it simply accessed the
> same files and file structure (and settinge/etc) as Eudora and I
> didn't have to do anything ... awesome !

Essentially, I want to install the current release of Thunderbird,
without changing or destroying the existing Eudora OSE / TB files.

Does any other person have experience of doing this?

Is it as simple as installing Thunderbird, without changing any
settings?

Do I have to un-install Eudora OSE before installing the latest TB? or
after?

If the install to TB doesn't work out, is it possible to uninstall TB
and re-install Eudora OSE?

Does the upgrade from Eudora OSE to latest TB keep settings / email
attachments / etc etc as they were? I don't want to lose information /
data.

Thank you for advice.
0
nospam
12/16/2016 9:31:11 AM
comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows 10580 articles. 6 followers. bob234 (1) is leader. Post Follow

7 Replies
491 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:31:11 +0000,
nospam@ms.com wrote:

>I understand this news group is not for Eudora OSE, but perhaps some
>other person might have encountered the following situation.
>
>I currently run Eudora OSE. I want to upgrade to Thunderbird. Consider
>the following webpage;
>
>https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048274
>
>> I took the tech's suggestion
>>  Backed up Euroda files and simply installed Thunderbird
>> VOILA ! When I launched Thunderbird it simply accessed the
>> same files and file structure (and settinge/etc) as Eudora and I
>> didn't have to do anything ... awesome !
>
>Essentially, I want to install the current release of Thunderbird,
>without changing or destroying the existing Eudora OSE / TB files.
>
>Does any other person have experience of doing this?
>
>Is it as simple as installing Thunderbird, without changing any
>settings?

I doubt it. 

>Do I have to un-install Eudora OSE before installing the latest TB? or
>after?

I doubt it, but the place to ask is more likely to be a newsgroup  for
the operating system you use, or some similar one, in order to
understand the reason why one would ever have to uninstall a previous
version.  I have a general feeling for the question and  that's why I
say I doubt it, here.  That is, since none of the file names or
directories will be the same, I don't see why uninstallign the first one
would help. 

>If the install to TB doesn't work out, is it possible to uninstall TB
>and re-install Eudora OSE?

Of course.    But you'd better make a copy of all the data, mail and
settings, before uninstalling OSE, if you did that (as the word
re-install implies). 

>Does the upgrade from Eudora OSE to latest TB keep settings / email
>attachments / etc etc as they were? I don't want to lose information /
>data.

I think you make a mistake in calling it an upgrade, and that that error
is affecting your thinking about this in general.   It's another program
aiui, and the way to learn the answers to most of your questions is to
ask on the thunderbird ng, probably on a different news server, about
*importing* mail and settings from other programs.  

Alternatively you can google for info

https://www.google.com/search?q=import+to+thunderbird+from+eudora+ose&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Maybe drop the last  3 search words, maybe not. 
>
>Thank you for advice.

0
micky
12/16/2016 3:48:22 PM
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:31:11 +0000,
nospam@ms.com wrote:

>I understand this news group is not for Eudora OSE, but perhaps some
>other person might have encountered the following situation.
>
>I currently run Eudora OSE. I want to upgrade to Thunderbird. Consider
>the following webpage;
>
>https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1048274
>
>> I took the tech's suggestion
>>  Backed up Euroda files and simply installed Thunderbird
>> VOILA ! When I launched Thunderbird it simply accessed the
>> same files and file structure (and settinge/etc) as Eudora and I
>> didn't have to do anything ... awesome !
>
>Essentially, I want to install the current release of Thunderbird,
>without changing or destroying the existing Eudora OSE / TB files.
>
>Does any other person have experience of doing this?
>
>Is it as simple as installing Thunderbird, without changing any
>settings?
>
>Do I have to un-install Eudora OSE before installing the latest TB? or
>after?
>
>If the install to TB doesn't work out, is it possible to uninstall TB
>and re-install Eudora OSE?
>
>Does the upgrade from Eudora OSE to latest TB keep settings / email
>attachments / etc etc as they were? I don't want to lose information /
>data.
>
>Thank you for advice.

BTW, I have Thunderbird, only for the purpose of reading non-Latin
alphabets, and instead of using a menu bar and dropdown menus like God
intended, they have the settings spread out over iiuc 2 main areas that
include several smaller areas.  So I looked for Import, for you, and of
course I couplet' find it.   That's what made me google. 

You should look at this one. 
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1095469
Of course nowhere in this article that I saw does it say if it's about
the real Eudora or the pasty-faced imitation. 
0
micky
12/16/2016 3:55:14 PM
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:48:22 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>say I doubt it, here.  That is, since none of the file names or
>directories will be the same, I don't see why uninstallign the first one
>would help. 

Eudora OSE is based on a very old version of Thunderbird, and I
believe the directories are the same.

My worry is, if I uninstall Eudora OSE, it may delete the data. So if
I uninstall Eudora OSE before installing TB, then the data will be
deleted and there will be nothing for TB to process. Alternatively, if
I uninstall Eudora OSE after installing TB, the data updated by TB
will be deleted by the uninstall of Eudora OSE.

Are these valid concerns?
0
nospam
12/17/2016 10:13:09 AM
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 10:13:09 +0000, nospam@ms.com wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:48:22 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>say I doubt it, here.  That is, since none of the file names or
>>directories will be the same, I don't see why uninstallign the first one
>>would help. 
>
>Eudora OSE is based on a very old version of Thunderbird, and I
>believe the directories are the same.
>
>My worry is, if I uninstall Eudora OSE, it may delete the data. So if
>I uninstall Eudora OSE before installing TB, then the data will be
>deleted and there will be nothing for TB to process. Alternatively, if
>I uninstall Eudora OSE after installing TB, the data updated by TB
>will be deleted by the uninstall of Eudora OSE.
>
>Are these valid concerns?

I just thought of  a solution, which is to save the Eudora OSE mail
database with MozBackup, uninstall Eudora OSE, inatll TB, then reload
the mail database using MozBackup.

Does that sound sensible?
0
nospam
12/17/2016 10:43:43 AM
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 09:31:11 +0000, nospam@ms.com wrote:

>Essentially, I want to install the current release of Thunderbird,
>without changing or destroying the existing Eudora OSE / TB files.

I have not followed the development of Thunderbird. Years ago I
installed an early version of Thunderbird and that program recognized
all the data of Eudora OSE because both used the same profile. The
default location of the profiles is
C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles.
I suggest that you install the current version of Thunderbird and find
out how to import the data of the old Thunderbird if the old profiles
don't work.
Usually uninstalling a program just deletes the program files and does
not touch the data, so you can uninstall your Eudora OSE after you
have installed the new Thunrbird version. Make a backup of the
Profiles anyway to be safe.

Ajo Wissink
0
Ajo
12/17/2016 3:14:13 PM
On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 10:13:09 +0000, nospam@ms.com declaimed the following:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:48:22 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>
>>say I doubt it, here.  That is, since none of the file names or
>>directories will be the same, I don't see why uninstallign the first one
>>would help. 
>
>Eudora OSE is based on a very old version of Thunderbird, and I
>believe the directories are the same.
>
>My worry is, if I uninstall Eudora OSE, it may delete the data. So if
>I uninstall Eudora OSE before installing TB, then the data will be
>deleted and there will be nothing for TB to process. Alternatively, if
>I uninstall Eudora OSE after installing TB, the data updated by TB
>will be deleted by the uninstall of Eudora OSE.
>
>Are these valid concerns?


	If it IS a valid concern, then either the creators of one or both
packages have violated a common convention: installers do not mess with
user data; OR you have configured them to put user data into system
directories rather than in your own directory (where they should have
defaulted originally)

	I recently had to install Win10 after having my Win7 main hard drive
fail (and since Dell doesn't ship OS installation media... having a
"recovery" partition on a dead drive is no use). I was able to copy off all
of c:\users\... to an external drive.

	On new drive with new Win10, I installed (original) Eudora, Forte
Agent, and Firefox... created a user account using the same user name.
Copied the backed up c:\users\<username> into the new account space.
Eudora/Agent/Firefox all started up and found the correct configuration (I
did have to reregister them as registration status is stored in the system
registry which was not something recoverable), but by using the standard
default directories for data they didn't even lose their place in the
newsgroups.
-- 
	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
    wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
0
Dennis
12/17/2016 3:46:20 PM
On 12/16/2016 4:31 AM, nospam@ms.com wrote:
> I understand this news group is not for Eudora OSE,


..... but you'll make an exception in your case right?

0
Sid
12/18/2016 1:31:01 AM
Reply: