Need help after computer crash

My computer recently crashed, and I sent it to Best Buy Geek Squad for
recovery.  I did not ask them to recover my programs or data because I
already have original disks for programs and backups for data.
Ironically, I cannot find the paid disk for Eudora, but I do have a copy
of the download for Eudora 7, and I have my registration number.

I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files.  I copied them into the
same location where I found the same type of files after I installed
Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at
the bottom of the screen), but this did not create the same mailboxes as
I had before the crash.  In fact, I cannot see where it had any effect
at all.  Obviously, I do not understand how the process works.

Can someone help me?  I want to replicate the same mailboxes and files
as I had before my computer crashed.

Thanks,
MaryL
0
MaryL

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:33:38 -0500, MaryL <stancole1@invalid.yahoo.com>
declaimed the following:

>I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files.  I copied them into the
>same location where I found the same type of files after I installed
>Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at
>the bottom of the screen), but this did not create the same mailboxes as
>I had before the crash.  In fact, I cannot see where it had any effect
>at all.  Obviously, I do not understand how the process works.
>
>Can someone help me?  I want to replicate the same mailboxes and files
>as I had before my computer crashed.

	Eudora doesn't just scan the directory for MBX files to be listed. It
may need corresponding Spool directories. (I thought they were in the INI
file, but don't see mine listed)

	I've always found it works to use the Eudora Mailbox/New... command to
create the names of the boxes (and the hierarchy if nested), and THEN copy
the old MBX/TOC files over the empty ones that were generated.
Dennis
4/16/2015 12:57:34 PM
On 4/16/2015 7:57 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:33:38 -0500, MaryL <stancole1@invalid.yahoo.com>
> declaimed the following:
>

>> I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files.  I copied them into the
>> same location where I found the same type of files after I installed
>> Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at
>> the bottom of the screen), but this did not create the same mailboxes as
>> I had before the crash.  In fact, I cannot see where it had any effect
>> at all.  Obviously, I do not understand how the process works.
>>
>> Can someone help me?  I want to replicate the same mailboxes and files
>> as I had before my computer crashed.
>>

> 	Eudora doesn't just scan the directory for MBX files to be listed. It
> may need corresponding Spool directories. (I thought they were in the INI
> file, but don't see mine listed)
>
> 	I've always found it works to use the Eudora Mailbox/New... command to
> create the names of the boxes (and the hierarchy if nested), and THEN copy
> the old MBX/TOC files over the empty ones that were generated.

Thanks.  I will use your suggestion to create new mailboxes and then
copy the old MBX/TOC files to the new mailboxes.  However, what are
Spool directories, and how are they used?  Is that different than
creating new directories?

MaryL

0
MaryL
4/16/2015 1:28:08 PM
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:28:08 -0500, MaryL <stancole1@invalid.yahoo.com>
declaimed the following:

>Thanks.  I will use your suggestion to create new mailboxes and then
>copy the old MBX/TOC files to the new mailboxes.  However, what are
>Spool directories, and how are they used?  Is that different than
>creating new directories?

	The Spool is where inbound messages get placed before being processed
by Eudora and filed in MBX files... Not sure why I have subdirectories for
the mailboxes in it -- since most messages come in and get processed into
IN before being filtered to other boxes.

	The Spool is where the really RAW message would be found, if there were
a way to keep Eudora from cleaning it out. It would be a message per file,
as I recall, with all MIME parts and encoded attachments. When Eudora
processes such, it strips out most MIME variations -- keeping the most
complex by default [that is, it will throw out a plain text rendition of
the message if there is also an HTML rendition] -- and stuffing attachments
into actual files before stripping them from the message text.
Dennis

computer crash, need help
Hi All, I have experienced a few crashes recently where during an operation, downloading from newsgroups or rendering a 3d image my laptop crashes. One minute its working fine then I hear a little hard drive noise then the laptop switches itself off, and I have to power on about 20 times before the computer verifies the ram and boots up. I've owned this laptop for over a year and hove only recently been experiencing this problem, in the last 2 weeks or so, I am using the same software I always had, newsbin pro 4.1 for downloading and autocad, 3d max and architectural desktop for rendering...

[...]

Eudora Crashes Computer while sending
I recently changed hard drives, and all seemed to go well. When I downloaded the latest Eudora (Windows) and moved my mailboxes, .ini, etc., from the old drive/older version (6.2x) it seemed to work fine for a few days. Suddenly, it began intermittently (now almost constant) crashing Windows with the BSOD. I can post the full message, but here it is with an abbreviated first line: Stop: 0x000000D1 (remainder of line not copied here) Driver IRQL not less or equal ***Address BFEB1C10 base at BFEA7000, Date Stamp 3eaf051d-NDIS.SYS Beginning dump of physical memory Everything el...

[gnuada] Help needed for MS-Windows version
Hello, The GNU Ada project needs some help from experienced Ada MinGW users. Alltrue we have tried we to produce a working MS-Windows Version it did not work out So here is our call for help. If you are interested you can start by looking on how far we came: http://gnuada.sourceforge.net/pmwiki.php/Install/MS-Windows Join our discussions on: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=40858 http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=40860 Or get right down to it by donloading the current make scripts: http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=12974 and try them out. Martin -- mai...

Help needed to send and receive mails through Perl in Windows
I have installed ActivePerl 5.8.8 in my Win'XP system. I have installed lot of modules for that.....but none of the modules is woking for me to send and receive mails as my configuration is not proper. I am not even sure whether it is proper or not. Can anyone send me which module is best with sample configuration files.... Thanks, Kowtham. kowtham@gmail.com wrote: > I have installed ActivePerl 5.8.8 in my Win'XP system. I have > installed lot of modules for that.....but none of the modules is > woking for me to send and receive mails as my configuration is not > proper....

Connecting to new Windows 7 computer, need some help.
Hi, anyway to connect HP48 to a newer Windows 7 computer? I need a way transfer files. On Monday, April 22, 2013 10:27:02 PM UTC-4, schwi...@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, anyway to connect HP48 to a newer Windows 7 computer? I need a way tr= ansfer files. First, I will assume you mean an Hp 48s or Hp 48G series calculator. Corre= ct? You then need two cables, the Hp 48s or G serial cable and then a USB to RS= 232 serial conversion cable as most Windows 7 computers no longer have an = RS232 cable. Then go to Hpcalc.org and get the normal Hp Graphing calculat= or program Ver3.04 (it ...

AOL Support | Windows Help and Support | Computer Support | Microsoft Technical Support | Online Computer Help
World leading Online Computer Support with Live-Technician on 1-888-414-5815 and get Online Technical Support, Online Computer Help, Dell and HP Tech Support, Windows Support, Computer Experts, XP Vista and Windows 7 support, Email and Outlook Support, 24x7 tech support, Tech support, Digital camera, On Phone Computer Support by Microsoft Certified Technicians. http://www.live-technician.com ...

[...]

Need help with help need
Friends and wormbots: I am looking for some intrepid souls to try out and comment on a perl script I wrote. (What, perl in SAS-L and it's not David Cassell ?) The script takes the SAS help files apart and does some analysis (orphans, linkrot and duplicates) and inserts back links. What do back links do ? It ensures every page in the help system has a link to every page that links to it. (Actually only the the subset of the help system represented by the modules you choose to play with [there are over 140 help modules]) 1,000 lines of perl that sprouted out of a two line seed (or should...

Web resources about - Need help after computer crash - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Computer Show

Computer No.5 in Room 143 discovers largest prime number ever known - 22m digits
... the previous record-holder. The largest known prime number is now almost 5 million digits longer than the previous record-holder. In a computer ...

Porter Airlines cancels over 15 Friday night flights amid computer issues
... night due to an issue with third-party software, it said. Air Canada flights from the downtown island airport are not affected by the computer ...

The BBC's computer chip for kids was meant to 'kickstart a coding revolution' — but it keeps getting ...
In 2012 the BBC decided to produce a computer chip that would teach children how to code. But now, almost four years after the announcement of ...

Researchers are training computers to recognize sarcasm on Twitter
Twitter contains multitudes. On any given day you'll find earnest and passionate rumination, breaking news and analysis, silly hashtag games, ...

Donald Trump To Make America Poorer By Getting Apple To Make Their Computers ...
Forbes Donald Trump To Make America Poorer By Getting Apple To Make Their Computers ... Forbes US Republican presidential candidate Donald ...

Earlier in this month, a computer in Missouri, part of the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search, dis
Earlier in this month, a computer in Missouri, part of the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search , discovered the largest known prime number: ...

Why Donald Trump probably won’t get Apple to make its ‘damn computers’ in the U.S.
... think we can say now, and I really believe this, we’re gonna get things coming … we’re gonna get Apple to start building their damn computers ...