Need help after computer crash

My computer recently crashed, and I sent it to Best Buy Geek Squad for
recovery.  I did not ask them to recover my programs or data because I
already have original disks for programs and backups for data.
Ironically, I cannot find the paid disk for Eudora, but I do have a copy
of the download for Eudora 7, and I have my registration number.

I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files.  I copied them into the
same location where I found the same type of files after I installed
Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at
the bottom of the screen), but this did not create the same mailboxes as
I had before the crash.  In fact, I cannot see where it had any effect
at all.  Obviously, I do not understand how the process works.

Can someone help me?  I want to replicate the same mailboxes and files
as I had before my computer crashed.

Thanks,
MaryL
0
MaryL

On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:33:38 -0500, MaryL <stancole1@invalid.yahoo.com>
declaimed the following:

>I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files.  I copied them into the
>same location where I found the same type of files after I installed
>Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at
>the bottom of the screen), but this did not create the same mailboxes as
>I had before the crash.  In fact, I cannot see where it had any effect
>at all.  Obviously, I do not understand how the process works.
>
>Can someone help me?  I want to replicate the same mailboxes and files
>as I had before my computer crashed.

	Eudora doesn't just scan the directory for MBX files to be listed. It
may need corresponding Spool directories. (I thought they were in the INI
file, but don't see mine listed)

	I've always found it works to use the Eudora Mailbox/New... command to
create the names of the boxes (and the hierarchy if nested), and THEN copy
the old MBX/TOC files over the empty ones that were generated.
Dennis
4/16/2015 12:57:34 PM
On 4/16/2015 7:57 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Apr 2015 20:33:38 -0500, MaryL <stancole1@invalid.yahoo.com>
> declaimed the following:
>

>> I kept copies of all the *.toc and *.mbx files.  I copied them into the
>> same location where I found the same type of files after I installed
>> Eudora 7. (going through the help|about file and clicking on the path at
>> the bottom of the screen), but this did not create the same mailboxes as
>> I had before the crash.  In fact, I cannot see where it had any effect
>> at all.  Obviously, I do not understand how the process works.
>>
>> Can someone help me?  I want to replicate the same mailboxes and files
>> as I had before my computer crashed.
>>

> 	Eudora doesn't just scan the directory for MBX files to be listed. It
> may need corresponding Spool directories. (I thought they were in the INI
> file, but don't see mine listed)
>
> 	I've always found it works to use the Eudora Mailbox/New... command to
> create the names of the boxes (and the hierarchy if nested), and THEN copy
> the old MBX/TOC files over the empty ones that were generated.

Thanks.  I will use your suggestion to create new mailboxes and then
copy the old MBX/TOC files to the new mailboxes.  However, what are
Spool directories, and how are they used?  Is that different than
creating new directories?

MaryL

0
MaryL
4/16/2015 1:28:08 PM
On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 08:28:08 -0500, MaryL <stancole1@invalid.yahoo.com>
declaimed the following:

>Thanks.  I will use your suggestion to create new mailboxes and then
>copy the old MBX/TOC files to the new mailboxes.  However, what are
>Spool directories, and how are they used?  Is that different than
>creating new directories?

	The Spool is where inbound messages get placed before being processed
by Eudora and filed in MBX files... Not sure why I have subdirectories for
the mailboxes in it -- since most messages come in and get processed into
IN before being filtered to other boxes.

	The Spool is where the really RAW message would be found, if there were
a way to keep Eudora from cleaning it out. It would be a message per file,
as I recall, with all MIME parts and encoded attachments. When Eudora
processes such, it strips out most MIME variations -- keeping the most
complex by default [that is, it will throw out a plain text rendition of
the message if there is also an HTML rendition] -- and stuffing attachments
into actual files before stripping them from the message text.
Dennis