Problems With In, Out, Trash, Junk mailboxes moving Eudora 7.1 Paid from Windows 7 Ultra to Windows 8 Home

I used the Eudora setup file to set it up on the new computer. Then I copie=
d over all of the files from my program directory on my Win 7 Ultimate to m=
y Win 8 computer. When I start Eudora everything is there ( many, many mail=
boxes, personalities, signatures, etc. except the In, Out, Junk and Trash f=
iles are empty. I used this procedure for moving Eudora whenever I upgraded=
 computers. It has always worked before.  All of my mailboxes are in the Eu=
dora folder. Can anyone help me with this?
0
mortresnick

On Monday, April 29, 2013 8:05:53 PM UTC-7, mortr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used the Eudora setup file to set it up on the new computer. Then I cop=
ied over all of the files from my program directory on my Win 7 Ultimate to=
 my Win 8 computer. When I start Eudora everything is there ( many, many ma=
ilboxes, personalities, signatures, etc. except the In, Out, Junk and Trash=
 files are empty. I used this procedure for moving Eudora whenever I upgrad=
ed computers. It has always worked before.  All of my mailboxes are in the =
Eudora folder. Can anyone help me with this?

I finally found a workaround.  The In, Out .toc and .mbx files contained th=
e correct number of bytes.  I copied them to my desktop snd rensimed them O=
ld Inbox and Old OutBox. I then copied them to my Eudora folder and when I =
started Eudora I had two new mailboxes with those names and all my data.
0
mortresnick
4/30/2013 3:34:48 AM
On 4/29/2013 10:05 PM, mort resnick wrote:

> I used the Eudora setup file to set it up on the new computer.
> Then I copied over all of the files from my program directory
> on my Win 7 Ultimate to my Win 8 computer.

> When I start Eudora everything is there
> (many, many mailboxes, personalities, signatures, etc.)
> except the In, Out, Junk and Trash files are empty.
> All of my mailboxes are in the Eudora folder.

If your mailboxes were in the "program files" folder even on Win 7,
then you already had a bad installation on Win 7,
and are only perpetuating this on Win 8.

The reason is that under normal circumstances,
starting with the Vista editions,
normal "program files" areas in Windows
can not be written into by any application programs such as Eudora,
even if your account is that of an administrator,
because even an administrator runs application programs
with only the rights of normal users, to protect your system
against malware trying to modify any program files.

Therefore, if that's how you were running Eudora even on Win 7,
nothing was ever actually being written or updated into the
same directory as where the program files are.  Instead,
Windows has been silently re-directing all such attempted writing
into a "VirtualStore" folder in your private Windows profile,
and wherever you then have same-named files in both places,
an old "frozen" version of those files remains in the "programs" area,
while a different "last updated" version of each file
resides in your completely separate "VirtualStore" area.

A "compatibility mode" of displaying folders would display for you
the very same illusion, displaying modified files from your own
"VirtualStore" directory in place of any same-named files
in the "program files" directory, or wherever those files
exist _only_ in your "VirtualStore" directory, but a variety
of circumstances can wreak havoc with normal program functioning.

For example, if you "delete" a file which has had two versions,
only the "last modified" version gets deleted from "VirtualStore"
but the old version remains under "Program Files," which instead
makes it appear that instead of deleting your file,
you only caused it to revert back to an old version,
perhaps as old as of when you had just installed Eudora.

Various spurious errors regarding temporary files or unreadable files
may also be caused by such inherently wrong application installations.

You may wonder why other applications don't usually suffer the same fate,
and that's because their installers automatically place files which
the user may modify into "Application Data" folders in their
modifiable Windows profiles, whereas only Eudora's installer
even continues to let a user make the very unfortunate choice
of trying to put modifiable files and folders under "program files."

In addition, Eudora users who, through Windows 98, got away with
copying combined "programs + user data" from one system to another,
began to run into problems even as far back as with Windows 2000,
but people who continued logging in as administrators didn't
crash into this new wall until Windows Vista, whereupon
hardly a day passed by for the next several years
without hearing another tale of woe from Eudora users
who continued to run afoul of improved Windows security
that they never learned about or heeded.

Unfortunately, just as Nature doesn't spare from its consequences
anyone who ignorantly follows unhealthy lifestyle habits,
neither is anyone spared from the effects which occur
by ignorantly continuing habits which have bad consequences
in all Windows versions since Vista.

> I used this procedure for moving Eudora whenever I upgraded computers.
> It has always worked before.

You have just encountered your first "wake up call" from nature,
about how you've been abusing Windows in your Eudora installations.

It appears that you've decided to do something like what many smokers
did after the health consequences of that habit began to manifest,
which was to start smoking "filtered" cigarettes, thus postponing
the discovery that those actually accomplish very little,
and that only completely ending the bad practice
really stops the progressive deterioration or fragmentation
of one's body of data.

Would anyone like to buy from me a product that I sell
which covers up small skin cancers so that you
don't have to keep noticing them every day,
until they metastasize and become fatal?

John
5/1/2013 6:29:14 AM
On 4/29/2013 10:34 PM, mort resnick wrote:

> I finally found a workaround.
> The In, Out .toc and .mbx files contained the correct number of bytes.
> I copied them to my desktop snd renamed them Old Inbox and Old OutBox.
> I then copied them to my Eudora folder and when I started Eudora
> I had two new mailboxes with those names and all my data.

And you still have a "sick" Eudora installation,
with much of your data existing in two different versions
in two different places, or missing from where you think it is,
so the rest of those who are reading for enlightenment
should be aware not to try half-hearted cover-ups at home,
but instead start from scratch and only install Eudora properly,
with program files only in the protected Windows areas where they belong,
and user data files only either in the "User's Application Data" area
or on another drive.

Info for all users of Eudora for Windows:

Recent Eudora versions all display both a "Data" path
and an "Application" (program files) path
in the "Help" > "About Eudora" window.

If both of those paths are within system "program files" areas
under Vista, Win7, Win8 or other descendants thereof,
then you have a Eudora setup that's likely to
suffer schizophrenic behavior, sooner or later,
with possible data loss as an eventual consequence.

On the other hand, if you've always wanted
to throw out all those old archives anyway,
you've found a very clever way
to increase the probability of spontaneous combustion
without the guilt of deliberately lighting the match yourself :)

If you'd like to do some spelunking into the hidden caves
of your own computer, to see whether you've had any files
diverted into your hidden "VirtualStore" area under Vista or later,
first use WindowsKey+R to bring up a "Run" dialog, into which
you may type or paste exactly this: %LocalAppData%\VirtualStore

"Drill down" from that directory to see what's under various
program files areas, particularly under ...\Qualcomm\Eudora

Educational references:

"Common file and registry virtualization issues
  in Windows Vista or in Windows 7"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927387>

"Folder Virtualization Concepts in Windows Vista" [well illustrated]
<http://www.symantec.com/connect/node/2665‎> OR
<http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/folder-virtualization-concepts-windows-vista>

"A Closer Look at Windows Vista, Part I: Security Changes" [illustrated]
<http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5538/en>

John
5/1/2013 7:39:24 AM
On Monday, April 29, 2013 10:05:53 PM UTC-5, mortr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I used the Eudora setup file to set it up on the new computer. Then I cop=
ied over all of the files from my program directory on my Win 7 Ultimate to=
 my Win 8 computer. When I start Eudora everything is there ( many, many ma=
ilboxes, personalities, signatures, etc. except the In, Out, Junk and Trash=
 files are empty. I used this procedure for moving Eudora whenever I upgrad=
ed computers. It has always worked before.  All of my mailboxes are in the =
Eudora folder. Can anyone help me with this?

John Meyers: Thank you for the concise explanation of Windows 7/8 security =
measures and how long time Eudora users can run afoul of them. I just porte=
d to Win 7 and it clarified some issues for me.
0
odantheman
9/22/2013 5:37:04 PM
Glad to hear that this thread (started April 29 2013)
has some educational value for anyone still trying
to move Eudora to a new computer,
but using old ideas which are no longer viable:

<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/fdzfkfHb3S0>

The link should remain valid even if the thread expires from NNTP servers.

John
9/25/2013 1:55:59 PM
I have a slightly related issue.

Since one cannot have anymore Eudora in a paid or sponsored mode, the automatic junk filter on a newly downloaded Eudora 7.1 does not function (even though I can see the "Junk" box)...

Any manner to circumvent/solve the problem and activate the Junk filter?
0
Eudorist (3)
11/25/2014 4:34:45 AM
On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:34:48 -0600, Eudorist <atdgz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a slightly related issue.

You're relying on the Subject in this sentence.   I hate that.

You also responded to a post from April 2013.  If anyone still has that
post in his off-line reader, your post will sort with it, very high up,
and it seems likely he won't see your post or mine.  If no one else
answers, that is probably why.    It's only a fluke that I saw your
post.

You would be better off starting a new thread, explaining everything in
the body of the post.   (I'm not the only one who doesn't read subject
lines.)

You'd also be better off not reading via google but getting a newsread
and a news server, both of which are available free if you want.

>Since one cannot have anymore Eudora in a paid or sponsored mode,

You can't have paid mode?   I thought everyone could have paid mode now.

> the automatic junk filter on a newly downloaded Eudora 7.1 does not function (even though I can see the "Junk" box)...
>
>Any manner to circumvent/solve the problem and activate the Junk filter?

That's because, iirc, the junk filter only works in paid mode.   Find a
registration number online or in this ng, (for looking for old poss and
that only, google.groups is good.) and register your copy.    AIUI, you
can still do that.

0
micky
11/25/2014 5:28:27 AM
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:28:27 -0500, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 22:34:48 -0600, Eudorist <atdgz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Since one cannot have anymore Eudora in a paid or sponsored mode,

>You can't have paid mode?   I thought everyone could have paid mode now.

After deciding to stop further development of Eudora Qualconmm
published the following registration informationa which permit the
legal use of  Eudora 7.1 0.9 in Paid Mode:

Windows version 7.1.0.9:
First Name: Eudora Paid Mode
Last Name: Without X1 Search
Registration Code: 6114-6862-8270-5863

Of course, there are also many pirated registration codes.
0
Ajo
11/25/2014 9:29:35 PM
I am sorry... I never use this forum... Found it on Google search while I was looking for a solution. Not familiar with the mechanism of this forum.

I could hardly find a link to how to post a new post.

   If you go to Eudora.com you will note that you cannot pay anymore. Nor can you do it through the "Help" or "bout" menus in the program.

Do you mean I could use a registration No. that someone procured in the past? Can you guide me further or help in finding one?
0
Eudorist (3)
11/26/2014 10:13:45 PM
Tnx, guys!

Found an old "pirated" (?) registration on another thread in this group and used it successfully.   Works perfectly with my Windows 8 too!!!!
0
Eudorist (3)

Windows 7 and Eudora 7.1: problems, problems and problems.
Hi, 3 days ago I have replaced Win XP with Windows 7 and since first day I have problem with Eudora 7.1. My problems are when Eudora downloads emails. I have 6 account, Eudora downloads 3 accunts regularly, then gets stuck on 3� account for 1 minute or more and then it goes again regularly. Therefore I have deleted the 3� account then I have done the download. Eudora downloads 3 account regularly again then it gets stuck again. Always the same problem. Then ..... I have unistalled Eudora and deleted every trace on registry then I have installed it again but now I have the same probl...

Eudora 7.1 and Windows 7?
Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 7? Thanks On 27 Dec 2009 in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, wrote: > Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 7? I run it on Win 7 Enterprise 64 with no problems. Just make sure that the data files are separate from the program files. -- Joe Makowiec http://makowiec.org/ Email: http://makowiec.org/contact/?Joe Usenet Improvement Project: http://twovoyagers.com/improve-usenet.org/ >Just make sure that >the data files are separate from the program files. What do you mean precisely please? thanks...

Eudora 7.1 with Windows 8.1?
Does it work fine? Thanks ...

eudora 7.1 crashing on windows 8.1
I have Eudora 7.1 installed on Windows 8.1. Properly, in the sense that the data directory is not in "program files" together with the program files, &c. I haven't changed anything in particular in the configuration that I'm aware of, or in Windows either. But suddenly today Eudora has started to crash on me quite frequently. The only common denominator I can see is that in all cases a couple of rather lengthy e-mails I was about to send were open. With lengthy I mean 1000 words. (I.e. rather longer than you like to receive in your mailbox all too ofte...

Eudora 7.1 and Windows 8?
Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 8? Now I use it with Windows 7 without problems. Thanks Why does anybody reply me about Agent 8 .ini file? Thanks for some info. On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:00:04 +0100, ijones@jejejeje.it wrote: >Hi, do you know if Eudora 7.1 works fine with Windows 8? >Now I use it with Windows 7 without problems. >Thanks There have been reports that Eudora runs fine on Windows 8. Since I have no access to a Windows 8 computer I'm not able to verify that. I installed Eudora 7.1.0.9 on my new Windows 8 system. It SENDS emails ...

Incredibile nobody uses Eudora 7.1 with Windows 8.1
Will they work fine? Thanks Responding to the comment in the subject line: The cognoscenti are waiting for Windows 9.x (on the history of alternate M$ OSs being bad or good: Win7 - good, WinVista - bad, WinXP - good [consider, many corporations skipped Vista but still have XP machines in use], WinME - bad, Win98 - good, Win95 - so-so). -- Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN wlfraed@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/ In article <6mek69tj78p3lgcomdsapmr92cvh53d7md@4ax.com>, adriano@gmail.com says... > > Will they work ...

Eudora 7.1.0.9 on Windows 7
Hello, I just got a new PC with Windows 7. I've read numerous messages about Eudora on Windows 7. I went ahead and installed it. It is functioning. It has downloaded messages from one account. I am looking for the folder with the .mbx and .toc files. According to the info when I launch Eudora, it is supposed to be in the C:/......AppData....folder. But I do not have a folder by that name. Where are my messages going? Is this a hidden folder? Thanks Donna <dhughes@uri.edu> wrote in news:fceef031-7641-451a-87b9-518e2df60c51 @l32g2000prn.googlegroups.com: > Hello, I ...

Eudora 7.1.0.9 and Windows 8.1 Installation Instructions
As most Google searches will bring up the installation instructions for Win= dows 7, I thought I would share. Use the following when Eudora asks for registration code: First Name: Paid_Mode_No_Support Last Name: Without_X1_Search Registration Code: 4352-4846-7641-3881 (The above courtesy of the last few Eudora folks from 2007) Install normally. When asked where the data should go, do NOT place it in the default of the = Programs folder. Instead select the other radio button (it's an AppData fol= der that is hidden -- make note of the location -- note that it is in a hid= den...

Eudora 7.1 and Windows 8? #2
Does anybody know if Eudora 7.1 and Windows 8? Thanks On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 15:31:47 +0200, adriano@gmail.com declaimed the following: >Does anybody know if Eudora 7.1 and Windows 8? >Thanks If one presumes the Boolean value of "Eudora 7.1" and of "Windows 8" both evaluate to "True" (since both products exist, a reasonable assumption), then the result of a Boolean "and" is: True and True => True However, I suspect that is NOT what you expect as a response. Also: Which edition of Windows 8? The RT version (running on table...

How stop Eudora 7.1 from starting when Windows 7 starts?
I must admit that I originally set Eudora to start when Windows 7 starts - but can't remember how. I can't find it as an option in the Tools>Options and it's not in the Startup group. Where else might it be? Thanks...... On 8/01/2011 7:54 PM: > I must admit that I originally set Eudora to start when Windows 7 starts > but can't remember how. I can't find it as an option in Tools > Options True, there is no such option. I don't recall any email program having such an option. > and it's not in the Startup group. Where else might it...

Eudora 7.1.0.7 Beta (Windows) now available
No one else seems to have mentioned it so.. Download from... http://www.eudora.com/cgi-bin/export.cgi?productid=EUDORA_win_7107 And the release notes are here... http://www.eudora.com/download/eudora/windows/7.1/beta/RelNotes7.txt Allan -- Please use the "Reply To" address for emails. "Allan Girvan" <dead_letter_box@btinternet.com> skrev i en meddelelse news:efhn21.2hc.1@ID-66775.user.dfncis.de... > No one else seems to have mentioned it so.. > > Download from... > > http://www.eudora.com/cgi-bin/export.cgi?productid=EUDOR...

New Settings for Eudora v.7.1.0.9/Windows 7
I have been using Eudora since first launched by Qualcom and it now contains thousands of files; consequently, at age 81 I do not wish to change it to a new application. I have had no problems with it until recently (at about the same time as Heartbleed) The smtp and pop settings have stopped working and I cannot send or receive messages. Will someone please send to me the current Eudora smtp and pop SSL settings? I am also having similar problems wit MailListKing which may or may not be connected. On Tue, 6 May 2014 05:24:28 -0700 (PDT), trummel@contracabal.eu wrote: >I ...

More Windows 7 WTF with Eudora 7
In addition to my clipboard still refusing to copy any HTML into Eudora (which has been going on for several weeks now), a few minutes ago Eudora disappeared off my screen completely. I clicked on the icon, nothing happened. I rebooted several times, re-clicking on the icon. The logo image came up once, but no files. I finally went into the whole B.S. Windows 7 string (C:/Users/jj/application data/roaming/Qualcomm/Eudora/Eudora 7.1....scuze me for a second, I'm out of breath), found the In.mbx and clicked on it, just to see if anything would happen. Whadaya know? It opened my ma...

Eudora 7 + Comcast + Windows 7 = ?
Colleagues, Last July, a lady friend asked me to get her Eudora set up with her new Comcast internet service account. This was a piece of cake, because I was already using Eudora 7 on Comcast, although my operating system was XP and she has Win7. But all the settings I used for my own setup worked for her, and away she went. Later, however, everything quit working. Eudora gets refused by Comcast both for checking and sending email with an "authentication refused" error message. I've since moved and no longer use Comcast, but I kept careful notes on my prev...

Web resources about - Problems With In, Out, Trash, Junk mailboxes moving Eudora 7.1 Paid from Windows 7 Ultra to Windows 8 Home - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Mailboxes for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th ...
Get Mailboxes on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Mailboxes - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Added texture by myself.

[iOS Advice] Custom Notifications And Alerts For Mailboxes - YouTube
Need more iOS Advice? Click here: http://apadv.co/ios-advice Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/macmixing Like my Facebook page: h ...

Australia Post, DPA At War Over Digital Mailboxes
A war is being waged over the future of the humble letterbox, with Australia Post at loggerheads with high-tech joint venture Digital Post Australia. ...

Carry your junk mail home from super mailboxes: Canada Post
Canada Post won't be putting recycling bins at its new super mailboxes in Hamilton. It expects you to take the ad mail home with you.

Court rules in favour of Canada Post in dispute over community mailboxes
... Post has emerged victorious from a legal battle which saw it lock horns with the city of Hamilton over the placement of new community mailboxes. ...

Hamilton, Canada Post bracing for legal battle over community mailboxes
Canada Post and the city of Hamilton are bracing for battle and municipalities across the country are watching to see who wins.

Will Canada Post’s super mailboxes work in Toronto?
The city's planning and growth management committee will wrestle with whether or not Canada Post's installation of super mailboxes in Toronto ...

Canada Post Community Mailboxes Not Welcome, Montreal Officials Say
... surrounding the quality of life of Montrealers will table recommendations on Monday urging the city to say no to Canada Post's community mailboxes. - ...

Royal Mail Paints Mailboxes Gold Near Team GB Medalists' Homes
... Team GB gold medalists at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games by issuing stamps bearing their images and by painting the mailboxes ...