raw text, source text?

I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails
I get is bad.

It has capital  �'s all over the place.  I can't tell the pattern.   At
the end of most llines and other places.

It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like    �tm

And something it sends looks like   ·� � � � � � �,
Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some
Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny  �'s that look like the surf
coming in.

Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he
told me it was nothing he did and nothing he had control over.   And the
next time he wrote, it looked as bad as ever.

Ralph in the Agent ng said that I'm getting the raw text and I should
turn that off.

AIUI, the raw text is always off in Eudora.   I"m using version 7.1.0.9,
the last or next to last version of the original Eudora.

In fact there have been times over the last 20 years that I wanted to
see the source text, but I couldnt' figure out how.

So, how do I turn on the raw text?
How do I turn off the raw text in the case of these two Gmail senders.

Thanks.
0
micky

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 00:23:38 -0400, micky <NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails
>I get is bad.
>
>It has capital  �'s all over the place.  I can't tell the pattern.   At
>the end of most llines and other places.

Gmail is known for that, but I see it elsewhere too, occasionally. The
A's stand for spaces
See below for an explanation.

>It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like    �tm
>
>And something it sends looks like   ·� � � � � � �,
>Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some
>Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny  �'s that look like the surf
>coming in.

These things happen when the messages are sent using UTF-8 encoding
which is not supported by Eudora.  Most recent email clients can
handle it, but Eudora's development ended long ago.

Gmail users can choose which encoding to use in the Settings.  It is
the very last one at the bottom of the list:

Outgoing message encoding:
    [ ] Use Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing messages
    [x] Avoid Unicode (UTF-8) encoding for outgoing messages

That will take care of the A's and the apostrophes.

You can install a free plug-in by Brana Bujenovic, called Greek
Message Viewer, that will fix messages after they have been received.
The title is a bit misleading because it fixes a lot more encodings.
When invoking the plug-in a new window opens with the fixed message.
The original message remains untouched.

http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/plugins.htm

After you have added the dll file to your plug-ins subfolder in your
data directory you can put icons on your toolbar, one for plain text
messages and one for html messages.

I have been using the plug-in for some time and it works like a charm.
There are many more useful plug-ins on Brana's site.  Take a look
while you are there.  Some you have to buy and others are free, but I
guess that Brana will not refuse any donations when you find something
that you can use.

>Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he
>told me it was nothing he did and nothing he had control over.   And the
>next time he wrote, it looked as bad as ever.
>
>Ralph in the Agent ng said that I'm getting the raw text and I should
>turn that off.

It's not "raw text"

>AIUI, the raw text is always off in Eudora.   I"m using version 7.1.0.9,
>the last or next to last version of the original Eudora.
>
>In fact there have been times over the last 20 years that I wanted to
>see the source text, but I couldnt' figure out how.

Right-click in a opened message and select "View Source".

0
Ajo
6/29/2014 12:19:19 PM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 00:23:38 -0400, in
<7q4vq9995k0b38rdge4be3v71vu7gufdo9@4ax.com>, micky
<NONONOmisc07@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails
>I get is bad.
>
>It has capital  �'s all over the place.  I can't tell the pattern.   At
>the end of most llines and other places.
>
>It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like    �tm
>
>And something it sends looks like   ·� � � � � � �,
>Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some
>Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny  �'s that look like the surf
>coming in.
>
>Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he
>told me it was nothing he did and nothing he had control over.   And the
>next time he wrote, it looked as bad as ever.
>
>Ralph in the Agent ng said that I'm getting the raw text and I should
>turn that off.
>
>AIUI, the raw text is always off in Eudora.   I"m using version 7.1.0.9,
>the last or next to last version of the original Eudora.
>
>In fact there have been times over the last 20 years that I wanted to
>see the source text, but I couldnt' figure out how.
>
>So, how do I turn on the raw text?
>How do I turn off the raw text in the case of these two Gmail senders.
>
>Thanks.

There is nothing practical that you can do to fix this on your end.
Eudora doesn't handle mail in the UTF-8 character set well, and even
the UTF-8 plugin doesn't handle the problem with � � � � � � �
characters.

If you look closely, you'll see that each � is paired with a space.
The problem may disappear if your Gmail friend will never enter two
(or more) space characters in a row.  It might also be cured if your
friend doesn't send HTML email, but avoiding placing one space next to
another is probably the surer cure.  (Note I said "surer" - which
doesn't even begin to translate to "more practical.")

The problem with other odd characters will probably be resolved by
using the UTF-8 plugin available at

http://windharp.de/software/utf8iso.htm

Ignore any suggestion that the source code is available so someone can
add a fix for "� � � � � � �."  I asked the author, who apologized
that the source had been lost.

Maybe someone got it before it was lost, but how to locate them to get
it?
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires
<ajo@notrealaddress.invalid> wrote:
>You can install a free plug-in by Brana Bujenovic, called Greek
>Message Viewer, that will fix messages after they have been received.
>The title is a bit misleading because it fixes a lot more encodings.
>When invoking the plug-in a new window opens with the fixed message.
>The original message remains untouched.
>
>http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/plugins.htm
>
>After you have added the dll file to your plug-ins subfolder in your
>data directory you can put icons on your toolbar, one for plain text
>messages and one for html messages.
>
>I have been using the plug-in for some time and it works like a charm.
>There are many more useful plug-ins on Brana's site.  Take a look
>while you are there.  Some you have to buy and others are free, but I
>guess that Brana will not refuse any donations when you find something
>that you can use.

Thanks for the info.

Am I correct in understanding that the plug-in will convert incoming
UTF-8 e-mails into ISO-Latin1 (or whatever the correct term for the
charset used in Windows), but requires clicking on some icon in a
toolbar manually?

Thank you.
0
Gilles
8/4/2014 10:40:45 AM
On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 17:50:49 +0000, Jim Higgins
<this_email@is.invalid> wrote:
>The problem with other odd characters will probably be resolved by
>using the UTF-8 plugin available at
>
>http://windharp.de/software/utf8iso.htm
>
>Ignore any suggestion that the source code is available so someone can
>add a fix for "� � � � � � �."  I asked the author, who apologized
>that the source had been lost.
>
>Maybe someone got it before it was lost, but how to locate them to get
>it?

I assume documentation is also lost as to how to write a Euroda
plug-in that would be triggered when Eudora downloads e-mails, to that
UTF-8-encoded e-mails would be converted before being written to disk?
0
Gilles
8/4/2014 10:42:34 AM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:40:45 +0200, Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Am I correct in understanding that the plug-in will convert incoming
>UTF-8 e-mails into ISO-Latin1 (or whatever the correct term for the
>charset used in Windows), but requires clicking on some icon in a
>toolbar manually?

Problem solved.

However, the plug-in doesn't perform the expected conversion:

http://s13.postimg.org/nya2peuxj/Eudora_greek_message_viewer_wrong_conversion.png

Could it be that the incoming e-mail isn't actually UTF8?

Thank you.
0
Gilles
8/4/2014 1:06:31 PM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:42:34 +0200, Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> declaimed
the following:

>I assume documentation is also lost as to how to write a Euroda
>plug-in that would be triggered when Eudora downloads e-mails, to that
>UTF-8-encoded e-mails would be converted before being written to disk?

	Think the documentation is available -- but the Qualcomm API/library is
NOT.

"""
Plugins (Extended Messaging Services)

Plug-ins are special add-ons that can be installed to add features to
Eudora. For example, you could use a language conversion plug-in to
translate a message to another language, a security plug-in to
automatically secure a message, or a text manipulation plug-in to change
lowercase to uppercase. Plug-ins interface to Eudora using the Extended
Messaging Services Application Programming Interface (EMSAPI).
"""

http://eudora.qualcomm.com/developers/emsapi/emsdoc.html is the
documentation (note: PDF file NOT available); but I can't find a link to
the library.

Dennis
8/4/2014 1:13:58 PM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:06:31 +0200, Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:40:45 +0200, Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>>Am I correct in understanding that the plug-in will convert incoming
>>UTF-8 e-mails into ISO-Latin1 (or whatever the correct term for the
>>charset used in Windows), but requires clicking on some icon in a
>>toolbar manually?
>
>Problem solved.
>
>However, the plug-in doesn't perform the expected conversion:
>
>http://s13.postimg.org/nya2peuxj/Eudora_greek_message_viewer_wrong_conversion.png
>
>Could it be that the incoming e-mail isn't actually UTF8?
>
>Thank you.

Problem solved�:

Change the default from "Latin - Western European (Windows-1252)" to
(obviously) UTF-8:

View > Character Encoding > Unicode (UTF-8)
0
Gilles
8/4/2014 1:14:40 PM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 12:40:45 +0200, Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Am I correct in understanding that the plug-in will convert incoming
>UTF-8 e-mails into ISO-Latin1 (or whatever the correct term for the
>charset used in Windows), but requires clicking on some icon in a
>toolbar manually?

Yes, you are correct.  Messages are not converted automatically.  You
have to use Edit > Message Plug-ins or click on a button that you have
to put on a toolbar via "Customize".  A new window will open with the
converted message.  The original message will not be changed and will
remain unmodified in your mailbox file.
0
Ajo
8/4/2014 1:24:57 PM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 09:13:58 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>	Think the documentation is available -- but the Qualcomm API/library is
>NOT.

Too bad :-/

By "library", you mean some C file that would be needed to compile a
DLL?

What about this?
http://pot-pourri.fltr.ucl.ac.be/files/eudora/developers/emsapi/
"EMS-API-SDK-1.0b3.hqx"

Maybe it's also still available from one of the authors who wrote
Eudora plug-in's.

Alternativey, it'd be cool to be able to add pointers to plug-in's in
the pop-menu that Eudora displays when right-clicking on an e-mail
("Reply", "Reply to All", etc.)
0
Gilles
8/4/2014 1:45:08 PM
On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:45:08 +0200, Gilles <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>Maybe it's also still available from one of the authors who wrote
>Eudora plug-in's.

http://users.skynet.be/alternity/eudora/addins.html

Eudora EMS API Developer's Manual Version 2
http://eudora.qualcomm.com/developers/emsapi/emsdoc.html

How to Write a Junk Plugin
http://www.eudora.com/cgi-bin/emsapi_junkplugin.cgi
0
Gilles

text-text

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

A text version of Grab for window capture of text?
I have found Apple's Grab to be very useful to capture screens of pictures and symbolic text to insert in other applications. For example, mathematical symbols such as integral signs, strange characters, diagrams, and the like can then be used in PowerPoint presentations without formatting concerns. I have run across some applications that I am almost certain use text format to display textual data on a screen. These applications do not have the ability to save or export the data to a readable file. EyeTV is one of these applications. It presents a list of television chann...

text formatting on different sources in an unbound text box

Need help converting unix text to windows text
I have been working on this for weeks. Whatever my FTP client does to translate the unix text file with each line ending in a LF character back into a LF CR I need some code in Perl to this. The task is, save data from an html form into a flatfile database. I have a Linux server. The program I have allows the user to search for a text file (unix text) and download the file through their browser. It has to convert the little LF's to CRLF. I have tried using some people's suggestion on how to do this. But it doesn't work yet. Right now it serves up the file because I have ever...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

text 2 text
I'm rather new to ustation and am having trouble finding replacements for all of my Acad lisp routines. One that I'd like to find changes a selected text string to read like the second selected text string. I realize this can all be done in the text editor but it's not all that quick. Does anyone know of a macro or mdl which can handle this task? Thanks in advance.---Calvin I don't know of any application that will do what you describe, but have you looked at Edit > Find/Replace text? You may also find Bentley's discussion groups of assistance. Over th...

Windows 7 style Text Fields backgound text
Hi is there a way to get a background text in entry fields (text presenters) in the entry area itself - that disappears when you start typing - i.e. Windows 7 style. (Is there any special name / buzzword for that feature ?) Regards Sanjay Sanjay, >is there a way to get a background text in entry fields (text >presenters) in the entry area itself - that disappears when you start >typing - i.e. Windows 7 style. If you don't mind the test being selected then this should work. Select all the following and evaluate in a workspace... sh := Shell show. sh v...

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

text viewer for blackberry or java sources of text viewer
Hi Folks, I want to read ebooks on my blackberry and couldn't find a nice programm. Do you know something here ? The program should - read and display text (size up to 1MB ) - allow bookmarks so that I can start where I stopped the last time. If there is nothing specially for blackberry, do you know some free sources based on java, which does a lot of this functionality? Thanks a lot Jack ...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try co...

Pages

Help: String search in Windows 2000 doesn't find text in Windows XP: MS Word document
Hi: I am using Perl 5 (I believe both machines are using ActivePERL 5) on two machines with the same data files. One machine is Win 2000 the other is Win XP. The files are MS Word 2000 documents e-mailed (manually) from the Win 2000 machine to the XP machine. The program searches the MS Word Files (both created with MS Word 2000) for the word HYPERLINK. The format for the HYPERLINK that I am searching for in the document is: HYPERLINK "mydoc.doc" (I checked this on the XP machine in Notepad and it is OK.) PROBLEM: The program works on the Windows 2000 machine, but doe...

Web resources about - raw text, source text? - comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows

Book sources - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page links to catalogs of libraries, booksellers, and other book sources where you will be able to search for the book with ISBN 817099280X ...

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg considering bid for president, sources tell ABC News - abc7ny.com ...
Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is considering an independent run for president, sources have confirmed to ABC News.

Apple's 'Project Titan' at crossroads, team in hiring freeze, source says
Apple has placed a hiring freeze on the team responsible for the company's nascent automotive ambitions after executives became unhappy with ...

The CEO of WhatsApp explained why it killed its only revenue source
WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum has explained in an interview with Wired why the company killed its $0.99-a-year subscription option. "We've done really ...

Open source is the 'new normal' for big data
... that Hadoop and Apache Spark are the hottest technologies in big data, but what's less often remarked upon is that they're both open-source. ...

Deposition reveals more information on decision to switch Flint's water source to the Flint River
... has obtained new information regarding the decisions leading up to the fateful decision to temporarily switch Flint, Michigan’s water source ...

Dallas Cowboys: Sources: Cowboys QB Tony Romo intends to have surgery to strengthen clavicle - SportsDay ...
Tony Romo suggests that there's one positive that comes from having his season ended early because of injury. The Cowboys quarterback is further... ...

Jose Mourinho writes letter to Man United with plan- sources - ESPN FC
Jose Mourinho has undertaken a deep and detailed charm offensive to convince Manchester United he is the man to be their next manager, sources ...

Bomb in San Bernardino terror attack was poorly built, AP sources say
Bomb in San Bernardino terror attack was poorly built, AP sources say

Report: Prior Flint Emergency Manager Rejected Using Poisoned Water Source "On a Long-Term Basis"
As the country attempts to untangle exactly who is to blame for the residents of Flint, Mich. being forced to use lead-poisoned water for well ...