were are email-addresses stored in an open source based mail server like Cyrus-IMAP?

Hi

I intend to switch to an open source based IMAP mail server.

But if there is no way to "use" the already available
mail-addresses currently stored in MS Outlook Express,
there is little hope for that project..

My questions:

1.
"Were" are email-addresses stored in a open source based
IMAP server environment like Cyrus-IMAP?

2.
Is the import of email-addresses stored in MS OE in a more
or less automated way to that component* of a Cyrus-IMAP
environment possible?

Any tip is appreciated very much. Thank you and merry
Christmas.

Bill
0
tools55 (20)
12/24/2004 11:31:23 AM
comp.mail.imap 1648 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-26819-1103898788-0001

bill writes:

> My questions:
>
> 1.
> "Were" are email-addresses stored in a open source based
> IMAP server environment like Cyrus-IMAP?

Nowhere.  An IMAP server does not store E-mail addresses.

An IMAP server stores individual E-mail messages.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-26819-1103898788-0001

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-26819-1103898788-0001--
0
sam217 (1634)
12/24/2004 2:33:08 PM
> 1.
> "Were" are email-addresses stored in a open source based
> IMAP server environment like Cyrus-IMAP?

No IMAP server, not just Cyrus, stores e-mail address books.  That's not a
function of the IMAP protocol.  Handling storage of address is a client
feature.  It is possible to use something like an LDAP server to contain
addresses.

> 2.
> Is the import of email-addresses stored in MS OE in a more
> or less automated way to that component* of a Cyrus-IMAP
> environment possible?

There's nothing to import as that's not an IMAP function.  IMAP, using
anyone's software, is for handling the mail messages themselves.

What you CAN do is copy mail messages from locally stored OE folders up to
an IMAP server.  That's a simple drag-and-drop function and is, again, not
related to the IMAP server software.

-Bill Kearney

0
wkearney99 (185)
12/24/2004 3:00:41 PM
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, wkearney99 wrote:
> No IMAP server, not just Cyrus, stores e-mail address books.  That's not a
> function of the IMAP protocol.  Handling storage of address is a client
> feature.  It is possible to use something like an LDAP server to contain
> addresses.

Note, however, that IMAP clients use the IMAP protocol to maintain address
books as a mailbox on the IMAP server.  You're right that this isn't an
IMAP function, but it turns out that IMAP can indeed be used to hold
address books as a client function.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
12/24/2004 4:40:57 PM
On 24.12.2004, Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, wkearney99 wrote:
>>No IMAP server, not just Cyrus, stores e-mail address books.  That's not a
>>function of the IMAP protocol.  Handling storage of address is a client
>>feature.  It is possible to use something like an LDAP server to contain
>>addresses.
>
> Note, however, that IMAP clients use the IMAP protocol to maintain address
> books as a mailbox on the IMAP server.  You're right that this isn't an
> IMAP function, but it turns out that IMAP can indeed be used to hold
> address books as a client function.

Could it be possible to create an _IMAP Address Book extension_ and an
_IMAP Calendar extension_ ?

Some MUAs allow to store address books in mailboxes like Pine. Kolab
supports for an IMAP calendar and an IMAP address book thanks vCards and
vCalendars but requires special MUAs like KDE Kontact or Aethera
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aethera.

But there's no _interoperable_ and _compatible_ calendars and address
books for IMAP.

Now that we know that IMAP is *the* protocol of this millenium, what
IMAPext is waiting for to create the IMAP calendar and IMAP address book
extensions ? February 30th ? :o)

This is a huge mess with LDAP, iCalendar, WebDAV, ACAP, etc - CalDAV
seems to be a good idea. I'm "addicted" to IMAP and wish that my
calendar and address book could be stored in _dedicated IMAP mailboxes_.

For compability with older IMAP clients, servers would be able to
display vCards and vCalendars in "normal" emails.

Also, calendars and address books would be shared and managed thanks to
ACLs.

--
kael
0
On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, kael wrote:
> Could it be possible to create an _IMAP Address Book extension_ and an _IMAP
> Calendar extension_ ?

You mentioned the problem: it isn't that there aren't open standards to do
address books and calendaring, it's that there are too many open standards
to do address books and calendaring.

Calendaring has in particular been an ongoing problem within the IETF.
Many bright people have spent a great deal of time and effort on this,
with disappointing results.

I am not convinced that IMAP could do a better job.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
12/24/2004 7:35:06 PM
On 24.12.2004 20:35, Mark Crispin wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, kael wrote:
>
>>Could it be possible to create an _IMAP Address Book extension_ and an _IMAP
>>Calendar extension_ ?
>
> You mentioned the problem: it isn't that there aren't open standards to do
> address books and calendaring, it's that there are too many open standards
> to do address books and calendaring.
>
> Calendaring has in particular been an ongoing problem within the IETF.
> Many bright people have spent a great deal of time and effort on this,
> with disappointing results.
>
> I am not convinced that IMAP could do a better job.

There's an interesting hack which uses Python to store Mozilla Sunbird
vCalendars in IMAP mailboxes.

*IMAP Calendar Proxy 1.0 (Default)*

"IMAP Calendar Proxy implements an HTTP proxy that converts HTTP PUT
requests of vcalendar data to separate messages stored on an IMAP
server. It can be used with Mozilla Sunbird/Calendar to allow storage of
a calendar via IMAP".

http://freshmeat.net/projects/imap_calendar_proxy/?branch_id=56959&release_id=190467

--
kael
0
On 15.03.2005 22:09, kael wrote:
> On 24.12.2004 20:35, Mark Crispin wrote:
>>On Fri, 24 Dec 2004, kael wrote:
>>
>>>Could it be possible to create an _IMAP Address Book extension_ and an _IMAP
>>>Calendar extension_ ?
>>
>>You mentioned the problem: it isn't that there aren't open standards to do
>>address books and calendaring, it's that there are too many open standards
>>to do address books and calendaring.
>>
>>Calendaring has in particular been an ongoing problem within the IETF.
>>Many bright people have spent a great deal of time and effort on this,
>>with disappointing results.
>>
>>I am not convinced that IMAP could do a better job.
>
> There's an interesting hack which uses Python to store Mozilla Sunbird
> vCalendars in IMAP mailboxes.
>
> *IMAP Calendar Proxy 1.0 (Default)*
>
> "IMAP Calendar Proxy implements an HTTP proxy that converts HTTP PUT
> requests of vcalendar data to separate messages stored on an IMAP
> server. It can be used with Mozilla Sunbird/Calendar to allow storage of
> a calendar via IMAP".
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/imap_calendar_proxy/?branch_id=56959&release_id=190467

And there is yet another very interesting hack.

*SyncKolab* is a Thunderbird extension which "reads a selected IMAP
folder and synchronizes it with the local address book and calendar".

http://www.gargan.org/extensions/synckolab.html

The Calendar extension must be installed first.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/download.html

With an IMAP Calendar extension and an IMAP Address Book extension, we
could replace Exchange.

IMAP can do a better job because it is the best protocol.

--
kael
0

postfix + cyrus IMAP: central sent-mail folder on IMAP server
Hi folks, I installed postfix and cyrus IMAP under SuSE Linux 9.0. All works fine but the collection of sended mail for every user in a central user-(sent-)mail folder locatet on the mail server. Any ideas who to work this out? Thanks in advance, Thomas ...

Storing sent mail on IMAP server
How does one tell Eudora to store sent messages on the IMAP server? Keep an Out box on the server, so to say. [Messages sent with another client on another device (Mail on an iPod touch) do get stored on the server, so I'm assuming the server is configured correctly.] -- Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/> Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!" PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!" In article <user-FE18F6.01340303022008@textnews.euro.net>, Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote: ...

How do I configure outgoing email via an imap mail server ?
I have configured a computer as a mail server on my network. This is configured with the following packages: Retchmail - This retrieves mail from my ISPs POP3 mailbox Exim - This delivers the mail retrieved by retchmail to a local maildir Courier-imap - This allows the remote mail client to read the mail messages On a remote client, I use the following command to read the mail on the server: mutt -f imap://charon where charon is the name of the mail server, as defined in /etc/hosts on the client. I can see and read incoming mail messages on my client. I have not yet configured outgoing...

Strange behaviour of Mail.app and Cyrus IMAP servers
Client OS: OS: MacOS 10.3.5 Mail: 1.3.9 (v619) Server OS: OS: Debian GNU/Linux imapd: Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.5 At work, we use a Cyrus IMAP server. I recently tried to copy several folders containing around 4000 messages from being local folders on my Mac to being folders that I could access as IMAP folders from other mail clients, which I occasionally need to do. So, I select the On My Mac folder I wish to copy, which contains several subfolders. I drag this across to the appropriate IMAP account, and the Activity Viewer shows that the messages are beginning to be copied. But it only get...

Cyrus-IMAP: Format of the internally stored messages/mails
Hi, in what format does Cyrus-Imap store internally it`s sent and received mails? Is it proprietary or Ascii/txt? Any tip is appreciated very much. Thank you! Bill tools55@bluemail.ch said: >in what format does Cyrus-Imap store internally it`s >sent and received mails? Is it proprietary or Ascii/txt? Base format is plain text, one message per file (though not containing the "From " line used in the "unix mbox" format). Additionally there is a Sleeplycat/BerkeleyDB -based database containing at least parts of the message header information, and some other "b...

Cyrus-IMAP: are also all sent mails a single files stored/saved?
Hi, I am contemplating about switching to an open source mail server and heard the interesting fact, that Cyrus- IMAP does store every mail a single file. My question: Are also the sent mails(after sending them) them as a single file "available" ? Any tip is appreciated very much! Thank you! Bill tools55@bluemail.ch (bill) said: >I am contemplating about switching to an open source >mail server and heard the interesting fact, that Cyrus- >IMAP does store every mail a single file. At least current versions of Cyrus store each message in a separate file. >Are als...

IMAP Mail servers
Anyone know somewhere that lists the IMAP mail servers that may be used ? I am looking to setup a mail server for my domain. Something that has a web front end available. Any recommended ? Or somewhere that compares them to each other? http://www.imap.org/ ...

Webmailer for Cyrus-IMAP which supports import of mail-addresses in OE format
Hi, is for Cyrus-IMAP a webmailer available which supports import of mail-addresses in OE format ? Thank`s a lot for any input. Bill ...

Cyrus-IMAP: auto rename the file-names of the mails how they are internally stored
Hi, for backup- and legal purposes I am looking for a way to automatically rename* (not the "things" the normal user sees), but the mail/file-names how they are inter- nally stored im Cyrus-IMAP/MyQL. Can such a task be performed by Cyrus-IMAP itself, a custom script or something else? .. Any tip is appreciated very much. Thank`s, Bill *The renaming-requirements are the followings: The messages/files should be automatically named with: date__subject__message_id eg: 2005-01-05__power-feature-request__message-id Since the subject of the messages can contain non-English charact...

Help! Can't access my mail from Cyrus IMAP server
I must access my mail through "master" because it starts pop3d and imapd, but pop3d and imapd never get started. I think it can't because it has begun another process "ctl_mboxlist -r, which is taking up 71 % of the cpu. NOthing is happening at all and my mail is stuck on the sever. The manual says imapd.conf is read, but there is nothing in there about "ctl_mboxlist". What can I do !!!? Thanks, George -- # #... ...

[News] 5 Mail/Groupware Servers that Are Open Source (Usually Free and Linux-based Too)
5 open alternatives to Microsoft Exchange ,----[ Quote ] | 1) Zimbra | | 2) Open Xchange | | 3) Scalix | | 4) Citadel | | 5) opengroupware `---- http://www.whenpenguinsattack.com/2006/12/04/5-open-alternatives-to-microsoft-exchange/ On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 21:25:58 +0000 Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote: > 5 open alternatives to Microsoft Exchange > > ,----[ Quote ] > | 1) Zimbra > | > | 2) Open Xchange > | > | 3) Scalix > | > | 4) Citadel > | > | 5) opengroupware > `---- > > http://www.whenpenguinsattack.com/20...

[News] Interview with Mail Server Challenger That's Open Source, Linux-based
Zimbra stalks Microsoft Office with open source, Web services ,----[ Quote ] | We basically ported Zimbra onto rPath. It's an ISO image that boots | with Zimbra and does auto updates from the Internet, as well as | kernel patches. Using this model, we can create virtual appliancesa | nd bring a Zimbra appliance on any hardware and load balance it, and | make it highly available. `---- http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1232114,00.html http://tinyurl.com/tfsjd ...

pulling IMAP using incoming folder/mail-drop doesn't leave emails on server
I am using the maildrop method of creating an incoming folder to grab imap mail. But the mail that is pulled down doesn't stay. When i connected to the same imap server using thunderbird, there are no emails displayed. Can someone give me instructions on how to add a second IMAP (I am using gmail imap for the primary email) to pine? Le 12 avril 2010, roguecartel a écrit : > I am using the maildrop method of creating an incoming folder to grab > imap mail. > > But the mail that is pulled down doesn't stay. That's precisely the aim of maildrop... But why use maildrop with IMAP ? > Can someone give me instructions on how to add a second IMAP (I am > using gmail imap for the primary email) to pine? M S C [X] Enable Incoming Folders Collection and read the help text there... -- LL ...

UW-IMAP: Sending mail via IMAP
Dear colleagues, I used to use the INBOX.Outbox feature of courier IMAP for quite a time. Now, as I changed my affiliation, I am confronted with an UW-IMAP server which according to the administrator does not support this feature. Is this the case? Is there a way around it? tnx. mlo -- SENDING MAIL VIA AN IMAP CONNECTION This server allows using the IMAP connection to send E-mail. Normally, the IMAP protocol provides only access to mail in an existing mail account, and mail clients must use SMTP in order to send mail. The Courier-IMAP server has an optional setting to enable mail to be ...

Imap and Cyrus-imap
Hello, I have some problem with converting (?) mailboxes after installing kolab - groupware with Cyrus-imap. My users want their imap mailboxes back, but I don't know what to do... :/ When I use webmin to check users mails, there are all there. Could anybody point me to instruction how can I do it? My system is Mandrake 10.1 Thank you in advance Rafal ...

IMAP server to connect to IMAP server?
Hi! I am looking for an IMAP server which can connect to an other IMAP server, caching all client activity until it is synchronized with the IMAP server it connects to. OK lets have an example: I move a folder with some client on the local IMAP server from one place to an other. When I connect my local server to the remote one, the folder will be moved on this server to. Same for mail I create, move, or delete. Connections from my local server to the remote are only from time to time. Does there exist a piece of software having these capabilities on Linux/FreeBSD and probably Windows? -- ...

IMAP Mail Server and Redhat
I am putting together a Mail Server using SquirrelMail, Exim, Courier Imap and MySql. So I went to the RedHat web site and got very confused on what version of RedHat I needed to do this. I was shocked, shocked, shocked by the prices; it has been a few years since I bought version 6.2; when did "free"software start costing more than Windows? Regardless, what is the cheapest version of Redhat I could use for this project? I don't want to save a few dollars to buy the cheapest just to spend hours and hours trying to make it do the job. So, I am looking for the cheapest ...

PHP Mail not sending mail to itnernal email address
Running a PHP mail script on Linux which has Exchange as the mail server. The script does not send mail to any internal email address but sends it to any other address outside its domain! Can somebody please help... Thanks Tanya www.bluent.co.in Hello, On 10/13/2003 03:29 AM, Tanya wrote: > Running a PHP mail script on Linux which has Exchange as the mail > server. > The script does not send mail to any internal email address but sends > it to any other address outside its domain! > Can somebody please help... If the message is not delivered, it is probably being rejected an...

imap not reading mail which are already read through a mail client

Read mails are not moved from "New mail" in IMAP
Mails are not moved from my "INBOX" of an IMAP account to the selected folder on this account. IMAP Settings: "Make this definition INBOX folder as default new mail folder" is checked. Options: "Allow read meassages to stay in new mail folder" is unchecked "Name for default mail folder" is "Read" (folder of the IMAP account). Any ideas? Dieter ...

Cyrus IMAP and LMTP mail deliver
Hello. I'm setting up a CyrusIMAP with Postfix and MySQL. And now i'm done with all the configuration stuff. I've started all the daemons and now i've tried to send an test mail via telnet. The mail got in a queue and wasn't delivered because of the lmtp: Dec 18 03:35:18 comserv deliver[17033]: connect(/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp) failed: No such file or directory Dec 18 03:35:18 comserv postfix/pipe[17030]: DF34CBBA85: to=<admin@comserv.gym.loe>, relay=cyrus, delay=142, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: couldn't connect to lmtpd: Bad file descri...

Migrate IMAP mail between two servers
Some of our users have IMAP mail served by the Mercury/32 system (a Win32 e-mail server). We are considering moving to Sun's messaging server (which also has an IMAP server). Is there a good tool to suck the Mercury/32 IMAP user's mail into the new system? What are some of the possibilities? Could this be done on the client, like Mac Mail, Thunderbird, etc., e.g., setting up two accounts, dragging and dropping between the two? What's best? Thanks, S7 starman7@hotmail.com said: >Some of our users have IMAP mail served by the Mercury/32 system (a >Win32 e-mail server). ...

Mail address only allowed for specific mail addresses
Hi, We have a normal mailgroup with a list of e-mail addresses which is configured with the normal :include:/path/to/textfile statement in the alias file. Now we want to restrict the list to the mailaddresses in the textfile. is this possible and if, are there some example rules for that? Thanks Oli Oliver Rahn wrote: > We have a normal mailgroup with a list of e-mail addresses which is > configured with the normal :include:/path/to/textfile statement in the > alias file. Now we want to restrict the list to the mailaddresses in the > textfile. See http://www.sendmail...

Cyrus imap mysterious mail lost
This morning I checked my email to suddenly realise that all my older mails have gone.... This is really fucked! I checked my log files to find a lot of these entries: Nov 30 03:01:00 localhost cyrus/ctl_deliver[8048]: mydelete: committing txn 2147506081 Nov 30 03:01:00 localhost cyrus/ctl_deliver[8048]: mydelete: starting txn 2147506082 Nov 30 03:01:00 localhost cyrus/ctl_deliver[8048]: mydelete: committing txn 2147506082 Nov 30 03:01:00 localhost cyrus/ctl_deliver[8048]: mydelete: starting txn 2147506083 Nov 30 03:01:00 localhost cyrus/ctl_deliver[8048]: mydelete: committing txn 2147...

Web resources about - were are email-addresses stored in an open source based mail server like Cyrus-IMAP? - comp.mail.imap

How To Ask For Your Friends’ ‘Real’ Email Addresses
Facebook added a way for users to request the “real” email addresses of friends who list their facebook.com email addresses in their contact ...

Facebook: Bug jeopardized email addresses, phone numbers of 6M users
A recent bug on Facebook exposed the phone numbers and email addresses of roughly 6 million users, the site reported late Friday on its blog. ...

Facebook Email Addresses - Users Not Receiving Mail Issue
Facebook: we're fixing email and address book issues

Ashley Madison user hack includes Department of Defence email addresses
CHIEF of the Defence Force Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin has warned the alleged hack of personal information from the Ashley Madison infidelity ...

One-off email addresses - the best defence against hacking?
iPhone hackers will struggle to find you if they don't even know your iCloud login.

Canadian charged in spam scheme involving a billion email addresses
A Canadian has been charged after computer hackers stole a whopping one billion email addresses from U.S. marketing companies in what authorities ...

Some Thoughts on Address Book Privacy and Hashing as an Alternative to Gathering Raw Email Addresses
... silently in the majority of cases. The reasons for doing this typically are not nefarious. Users sign up to the service and provide their email ...

Apple continues rolling out and alerting users of new @iCloud.com email addresses
With the release of iOS 6 Beta 3 back in July, Apple already started rolling out its new @iCloud email addresses starting with users creating ...

What’s Next for Paul Ceglia’s Facebook Suit? Secret Email Addresses and a Possible Winklevoss Connection ...
... . Tags: Biglaw , Cameron Winklevoss , Connors & Vilardo LLP , David Grable , David M. Grable , E-Discovery , Electronic Discovery , Email , ...

Twitter To Allow Advertisers to Target Browsing History, Email Addresses
... allow advertisers to target users based on things they did off the service, like web browsing, as well as personal information like an email ...