Your IMAP Server has closed the connection

I upgraded to OpenSSL and IMAP2002 to overcome the closed connection
problem, but am still getting an error in Outlook XP and Outlook 2000 -
"Your IMAP Server has closed the connection. This may occur if you have left
the connection idle for too long." This doesn't happen on my IMAP email
account at UW, so there must be something I can do on the server side to
overcome this problem. Does anyone have pointers to this info?

Thanks,

Bill Herman

0
wherman (3)
10/4/2003 2:29:15 PM
comp.mail.imap 1648 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can not have
multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox (a stupid thing
that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).  When you open a new
connection, your previous connection is killed.

UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple connections
and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/4/2003 5:02:38 PM
OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.

I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.

I deleted the users and added them back through the Qube 2's web based
administration interface.  I thought this would make an INBOX file in
/home/users/bill /home/users/wherman but it didn't.  Unfortunately this did
not create INBOX files.  Somehow tmail and maildelivery keeps working but I
am gettin the connection closed thing.

Where can I find the info I need to get this to work?

Thanks,
Bill Herman

I can't find the man pages
"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
> Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can not have
> multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox (a stupid thing
> that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).  When you open a new
> connection, your previous connection is killed.
>
> UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple connections
> and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.
>
> -- Mark --
>
> http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
> Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
> Si vis pacem, para bellum.

0
wherman (3)
10/5/2003 7:12:58 PM
Bill Herman wrote:

> OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
> http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
> part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.

Elaborate.  What errors did you run into?

> I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
> wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
> syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
> you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.

Again, elaborate as to *why* mbxcvt "wouldn't make" -- paste the relevant
portion of any error output.  Incidentally, there is a man pages.  From within
the source dir, type:

    nroff -man mbxcvt.1 | less

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil

I still had problems, but was able to figure it out.  I didn't realize
each user needed to login and run 'mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX' I tried
moving from directory to directory and running it as root.

I appreciate your help.  I would never have come up with 'nroff -man
mbxcvt.1 | less' on my own.  You and Mark are very kind to shepherd
the flock.  There just doesn't seem to be a way to learn this yourself
and your pointers made me think.

Thanks,

Bill Herman

> Bill Herman wrote:
>
> > OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
> > http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
> > part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.
>
> Elaborate.  What errors did you run into?
>
> > I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
> > wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
> > syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
> > you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.
>
> Again, elaborate as to *why* mbxcvt "wouldn't make" -- paste the relevant
> portion of any error output.  Incidentally, there is a man pages.  From within
> the source dir, type:
>
>     nroff -man mbxcvt.1 | less
0
wherman
10/6/2003 2:57:47 AM
Bill Herman wrote:

> I editted the Makefile in mbxcvt and editted the path from imap to
> imap-2002c1 and was then able to compile.

That'll work; alternatively you could create a symlink that points imap ->
imap-2002c1.

> I still had problems, but was able to figure it out.  I didn't realize
> each user needed to login and run 'mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX' I tried
> moving from directory to directory and running it as root.

I'm able to convert other user's mailboxes as root.  What happens when you try?
Make sure you're entering `/full/path/to/INBOX' and not simply `INBOX'.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)
10/6/2003 3:35:00 AM
"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
> Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can
> not have multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox
> (a stupid thing that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).
> When you open a new connection, your previous connection is
> killed.
>
> UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple
> connections and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.

So are you saying that the only way to get OE to work with an
IMAP server is to convert mailboxes to mbx format?  I would
really rather not do this if possible, and I spent a lot of work
installing imap-2002e, generating a certificate, and trying to
find out why OE gives me the "Command stream end of file"
error.  After looking at the conversion process and the pros/
cons, I'm pretty disappointed if this is the only recourse.  I know
that OE is the incarnation of pure evil, but the things it does well,
it does really well.  Please tell me there is a solution besides
converting to mbx.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/12/2003 11:20:17 AM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> So are you saying that the only way to get OE to work with an
> IMAP server is to convert mailboxes to mbx format?  I would
> really rather not do this if possible, and I spent a lot of work
> installing imap-2002e, generating a certificate, and trying to
> find out why OE gives me the "Command stream end of file"
> error.  After looking at the conversion process and the pros/
> cons, I'm pretty disappointed if this is the only recourse.  I know
> that OE is the incarnation of pure evil, but the things it does well,
> it does really well.  Please tell me there is a solution besides
> converting to mbx.

You could run a different IMAP server such as Cyrus.  But guess what: you
have to change the mailbox format if you use one of those servers!

The traditional UNIX mailbox format is a terrible format for use with
IMAP.  Most IMAP server implementations don't even try to support it.  UW
imapd does, but you have to deal with such restrictions as "no multiple
access."  A good IMAP client, such as Pine, deals with such restrictions;
but poorly-written clients do not.

OE is not the worst offender.  I enjoy evil empire bashing as much as
anyone else (including MS employees!); but I've seen much worse.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/12/2003 2:28:32 PM
> [...]
> The traditional UNIX mailbox format is a terrible format for
> use with IMAP.  Most IMAP server implementations don't
> even try to support it.  UW imapd does, but you have to deal
> with such restrictions as "no multiple access."
> [...]

Ok, so I found a handy reference that told me that I could
make imapd itself convert my mailboxes to mbx format.
Apparently, it did.  I loaded up pine on my server (the same
one that is running imapd), and now it looks like all my
messages have been moved into the INBOX file.  However,
OE is still giving me the "Command stream end of file"
error.  What to do now?

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/12/2003 7:09:50 PM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> Ok, so I found a handy reference that told me that I could
> make imapd itself convert my mailboxes to mbx format.
> Apparently, it did.  I loaded up pine on my server (the same
> one that is running imapd), and now it looks like all my
> messages have been moved into the INBOX file.  However,
> OE is still giving me the "Command stream end of file"
> error.  What to do now?

First of all, please understand that "Command stream end of file" is *not*
an error.  It is simply a logout entry, one that means the client
disconnected without first issuing a proper LOGOUT command.  In other
words, UW imapd did not close the connection; OE did (and rather
abruptly).

If you are successfully reading your mail with OE, then you can disregard
that message as just being "the way OE is."

If you are not sucessfully reading your mail with OE, look at *all* the
messages for that session carefully.  Depending upon your syslog level,
you should see a "service init" followed by a "login"/"authenticated"
followed by a "logout"/"end of file".

Do you see the login/authenticated message?  Do you see a user name in the
logout/end-of-file message or does it show "user=???"?

If you don't see any sign that you logged in, the problem may be that OE
is trying to do a plaintext password login on an unencrypted session.  By
default, you can't do that in UW imapd; it's a security hole since any bad
guy can sniff your session and steal your password.

You can build UW imapd so that it allows the security hole, but it's
better to use encrypted sessions instead.  First, did you follow the
instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly with regards to installing a server
certificate?

If so, look in your OE configuration for the option to use SSL and port
993 instead of non-SSL and port 143.  Try setting that option.

Good quality clients, such as Pine, automatically negotiate TLS encryption
on port 143 so you don't need to do any special configuration to get an
encrypted session.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/12/2003 9:21:47 PM
> [...]
> First of all, please understand that "Command stream end of
> file" is *not* an error.

It is on somebody's end. ;)  But I understand your point.

> [...]
> Do you see the login/authenticated message?

No.  I see an init immediately followed by the "Command stream..."
message.

> Do you see a user name in the logout/end-of-file message
> or does it show "user=???"?

No user when using SSL.  If I turn off SSL, then I see a user,
but the server rejects the authentication, because of the whole
plaintext password thing.

> [...]
> First, did you follow the instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly
> with regards to installing a server certificate?

Yes, but it's a self-signed certificate.  Is there a way to test if
imapd doesn't like something about my SSL setup?

> If so, look in your OE configuration for the option to use SSL
> and port 993 instead of non-SSL and port 143.  Try setting
> that option.

Actually, both of those ports are blocked until I can get to my
router, but I have it listening on 9004 and I connect to that
through Outlook for now.

> Good quality clients, such as Pine, automatically negotiate
> TLS encryption on port 143 so you don't need to do any
> special configuration to get an encrypted session.

So basically don't expect TLS from OE?  Thanks for your
help so far.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/14/2003 5:52:31 PM
in comp.mail.imap i read:
>"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message

>> First, did you follow the instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly
>> with regards to installing a server certificate?
>
>Yes, but it's a self-signed certificate.  Is there a way to test if
>imapd doesn't like something about my SSL setup?

use imtest.

--
a signature
"those who know me have no need of my name" <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
wrote in message news:m1u16bfaf6.gnus@usa.net...

> use imtest.

Do you mean mtest?  I don't see an imtest anywhere in my
source tree, and I even downloaded the utilities.  And I'm not
sure how to use mtest to see of SSL is working properly or
not.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/15/2003 7:08:39 AM
David B. Held wrote:

> Do you mean mtest?

No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)
10/15/2003 12:25:38 PM
"Sahil Tandon" <sahil@despammed.com> wrote in message
> David B. Held wrote:
>
> > Do you mean mtest?
>
> No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

Ok, and where can I find this program?  Like I said, I don't
see it anywhere on my system, and I built the latest version
from source, and downloaded the utils as well.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/15/2003 3:08:36 PM
David B. Held wrote:

> Ok, and where can I find this program?  Like I said, I don't
> see it anywhere on my system, and I built the latest version
> from source, and downloaded the utils as well.

The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.

    <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>

Good luck.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)
10/15/2003 4:27:42 PM
> [...]
> The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.
>
>     <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>

Oh, I see.  Thanks.  Are you sure that it will work with UW's
imapd, though?

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/15/2003 6:21:05 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> > The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.
> >     <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>
> Oh, I see.  Thanks.  Are you sure that it will work with UW's
> imapd, though?

UW and Cyrus software has mutually interoperated for a decade.  Great
efforts are taken by both the UW and Cyrus teams to make sure that it
stays that way, including testing obscure cases to make sure both servers
return identical results.  Now, of course, server management tools are
specific to a particular server.  But IMAP protocol tools should work with
any compliant server.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/15/2003 7:01:18 PM
in comp.mail.imap i read:
>"those who know me have no need of my name" <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
>wrote in message news:m1u16bfaf6.gnus@usa.net...

>> use imtest.
>
>Do you mean mtest?

sorry, yes for uw-imap you would use mtest.  though if you have cyrus then
imtest may be usable -- the version i have isn't capable of ssl so wouldn't
be useful to you.  openssl (s_client command) and stunnel can be used to
test the ssl and certificate aspects of imaps (imap over ssl, on port 993).

>I'm not sure how to use mtest to see of SSL is working properly or not.

mtest will show what is happening.  answer y to the `debug protocol' prompt.

--
a signature
in comp.mail.imap i read:
>David B. Held wrote:

>> Do you mean mtest?
>
>No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

actually i did mean mtest.  does imtest do ssl or starttls these days?

--
a signature
those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

> actually i did mean mtest.  does imtest do ssl or starttls these days?

Woops.  My fault, then; I thought you meant imtest.  I switched from Cyrus ->
UW a while back, so I'm not sure which method is used these days.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)

IMAP server to connect to IMAP server?
Hi! I am looking for an IMAP server which can connect to an other IMAP server, caching all client activity until it is synchronized with the IMAP server it connects to. OK lets have an example: I move a folder with some client on the local IMAP server from one place to an other. When I connect my local server to the remote one, the folder will be moved on this server to. Same for mail I create, move, or delete. Connections from my local server to the remote are only from time to time. Does there exist a piece of software having these capabilities on Linux/FreeBSD and probably Windows? -- ...

IMAP server has closed the connection
I have a few users who are having an issue with the Outlook or Outlook express IMAP email accounts. They are getting the message that the IMAP server has closed the conection. One of them has his account set to check mail every 5 minutes, and the other is the same. Is there a setting/patch in Outlook/Express to correct that? I have many other users w/Otlook that do not have the same problem. They are both using Windows 98se in Intel PCs. The email server is a Linux box. Thanks - Drew McBee ...

[...]

postfix + cyrus IMAP: central sent-mail folder on IMAP server
Hi folks, I installed postfix and cyrus IMAP under SuSE Linux 9.0. All works fine but the collection of sended mail for every user in a central user-(sent-)mail folder locatet on the mail server. Any ideas who to work this out? Thanks in advance, Thomas ...

IMAP Mail servers
Anyone know somewhere that lists the IMAP mail servers that may be used ? I am looking to setup a mail server for my domain. Something that has a web front end available. Any recommended ? Or somewhere that compares them to each other? http://www.imap.org/ ...

[9fans] IMAP clients and plan9 imap server
Moin, I tried to connect with different clients to a plan9 imap server. With kmail I get a folderlist and the number of messages stored in the folders but if I select a folder there is no message. With Operas M2 I only get a folder INBOX but also no message and mutt gives me a =ABCRAM-MD5 auth failed=BB. Maybe this is a configuration problem on the server but it would be nice to know, which imap/pop clients working with the plan9 pop/imap server. Matthias Moin eh? pop - highway to hell imap - superhighway to hell We normally talk to our plan 9 imap server with netscape or microsoft ...

UW-IMAP: Sending mail via IMAP
Dear colleagues, I used to use the INBOX.Outbox feature of courier IMAP for quite a time. Now, as I changed my affiliation, I am confronted with an UW-IMAP server which according to the administrator does not support this feature. Is this the case? Is there a way around it? tnx. mlo -- SENDING MAIL VIA AN IMAP CONNECTION This server allows using the IMAP connection to send E-mail. Normally, the IMAP protocol provides only access to mail in an existing mail account, and mail clients must use SMTP in order to send mail. The Courier-IMAP server has an optional setting to enable mail to be ...

Imap connection with yahoo mail...
Does anyone use IMAP with Yahoo! Mail? <DEAD>imap.mail.yahoo.com<DEAD=AD> seems to exist (similar to <DEAD>pop.mail.yahoo.com<DEAD>=AD). Is it part of the premium services? When I try to connect to port 143, I'm immediately dropped, so I'm just wondering... plz help me.... Thanx Shailesh This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. --0-475455032-1120042780=:1043 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=ISO-8859-15; format=flowed Content-...

RE: [9fans] IMAP clients and plan9 imap server
>pop - highway to hell >imap - superhighway to hell especially nice is to know that your passwords float=20 in cleartext into the better tomorrow "Tiit Lankots" <t.lankots@aprote.ee> writes: > especially nice is to know that your passwords float > in cleartext into the better tomorrow Yes, sure but I dont need to encrypt a password if dont get any message. ;-) I dont want run pop or imap to the world. If I ever run such a server I'll use some kind of encryption. Matthias ...

server for hosting imap as pop (convert imap to pop)
Anyone know of a service that will download email from an IMap server and host it for pop3 access? ...

IMAP Folder not closing connections
Does anyone know why Eudora (6.1.1.1 or any version) keeps the connection to the IMAP server open? This causes problems when one users tries to purge messages and someone else has the folder open. This connection stays active even if the IPAP folder is not open for viewing messages inside Eudora. That is, as soon as mail is checked, a connection appears on the server and remains there until Eudora is closed. Now, if I do the same thing with Outlook express, then the connection closes when I'm not previewing messages. Anyone else notice this behavior? Thanks for any info! ...

Imap and Cyrus-imap
Hello, I have some problem with converting (?) mailboxes after installing kolab - groupware with Cyrus-imap. My users want their imap mailboxes back, but I don't know what to do... :/ When I use webmin to check users mails, there are all there. Could anybody point me to instruction how can I do it? My system is Mandrake 10.1 Thank you in advance Rafal ...

IMAP Mail Server and Redhat
I am putting together a Mail Server using SquirrelMail, Exim, Courier Imap and MySql. So I went to the RedHat web site and got very confused on what version of RedHat I needed to do this. I was shocked, shocked, shocked by the prices; it has been a few years since I bought version 6.2; when did "free"software start costing more than Windows? Regardless, what is the cheapest version of Redhat I could use for this project? I don't want to save a few dollars to buy the cheapest just to spend hours and hours trying to make it do the job. So, I am looking for the cheapest ...

Web resources about - Your IMAP Server has closed the connection - comp.mail.imap

Perth-based man linked to NZ rape cases unmasked after DNA connection
A rape victim has blasted police for refusing to reveal the name of the man linked by DNA evidence to a series of horrific sexual attacks on ...

Police release image in connection with suspicious death
POLICE are wanting to speak with two men to help with investigations into the possibly suspicious death of a man on the Sunshine Coast on Sunday. ...

Arrests made in connection with 3 OC escaped inmates, sheriff says
Orange County Sheriff Sandra Hutchens said five arrests have been made in connection with three inmates who escaped the Orange County Central ...

Virgina Tech students arrested in connection with missing girl found dead - Videos - CBS News
Two Virgina Tech students were arrested this weekend in connection with the death of a 13-year-old girl. The girl's family reported her missing ...

Brazil’s Distributed Generation Connections Triple In 2015
Distributed generation of electricity in Brazil showed a remarkably strong growth trend in 2015, as the number of connections grew 308%. This ...

English Teacher Arrested In Connection With Jailbreak
English Teacher Arrested In Connection With Jailbreak