Your IMAP Server has closed the connection

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I upgraded to OpenSSL and IMAP2002 to overcome the closed connection
problem, but am still getting an error in Outlook XP and Outlook 2000 -
"Your IMAP Server has closed the connection. This may occur if you have left
the connection idle for too long." This doesn't happen on my IMAP email
account at UW, so there must be something I can do on the server side to
overcome this problem. Does anyone have pointers to this info?

Thanks,

Bill Herman

0
Reply wherman (3) 10/4/2003 2:29:15 PM

See related articles to this posting

Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can not have
multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox (a stupid thing
that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).  When you open a new
connection, your previous connection is killed.

UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple connections
and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
Reply mrc12 (1336) 10/4/2003 5:02:38 PM

OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.

I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.

I deleted the users and added them back through the Qube 2's web based
administration interface.  I thought this would make an INBOX file in
/home/users/bill /home/users/wherman but it didn't.  Unfortunately this did
not create INBOX files.  Somehow tmail and maildelivery keeps working but I
am gettin the connection closed thing.

Where can I find the info I need to get this to work?

Thanks,
Bill Herman

I can't find the man pages
"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
> Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can not have
> multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox (a stupid thing
> that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).  When you open a new
> connection, your previous connection is killed.
>
> UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple connections
> and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.
>
> -- Mark --
>
> http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
> Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
> Si vis pacem, para bellum.

0
Reply wherman (3) 10/5/2003 7:12:58 PM

Bill Herman wrote:

> OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
> http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
> part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.

Elaborate.  What errors did you run into?

> I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
> wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
> syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
> you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.

Again, elaborate as to *why* mbxcvt "wouldn't make" -- paste the relevant
portion of any error output.  Incidentally, there is a man pages.  From within
the source dir, type:

    nroff -man mbxcvt.1 | less

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil

I editted the Makefile in mbxcvt and editted the path from imap to
imap-2002c1 and was then able to compile.

I still had problems, but was able to figure it out.  I didn't realize
each user needed to login and run 'mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX' I tried
moving from directory to directory and running it as root.

I appreciate your help.  I would never have come up with 'nroff -man
mbxcvt.1 | less' on my own.  You and Mark are very kind to shepherd
the flock.  There just doesn't seem to be a way to learn this yourself
and your pointers made me think.

Thanks,

Bill Herman

> Bill Herman wrote:
>
> > OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
> > http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
> > part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.
>
> Elaborate.  What errors did you run into?
>
> > I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
> > wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
> > syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
> > you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.
>
> Again, elaborate as to *why* mbxcvt "wouldn't make" -- paste the relevant
> portion of any error output.  Incidentally, there is a man pages.  From within
> the source dir, type:
>
>     nroff -man mbxcvt.1 | less
0
Reply wherman 10/6/2003 2:57:47 AM

Bill Herman wrote:

> I editted the Makefile in mbxcvt and editted the path from imap to
> imap-2002c1 and was then able to compile.

That'll work; alternatively you could create a symlink that points imap ->
imap-2002c1.

> I still had problems, but was able to figure it out.  I didn't realize
> each user needed to login and run 'mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX' I tried
> moving from directory to directory and running it as root.

I'm able to convert other user's mailboxes as root.  What happens when you try?
Make sure you're entering `/full/path/to/INBOX' and not simply `INBOX'.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
Reply sahil (42) 10/6/2003 3:35:00 AM

"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
> Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can
> not have multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox
> (a stupid thing that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).
> When you open a new connection, your previous connection is
> killed.
>
> UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple
> connections and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.

So are you saying that the only way to get OE to work with an
IMAP server is to convert mailboxes to mbx format?  I would
really rather not do this if possible, and I spent a lot of work
installing imap-2002e, generating a certificate, and trying to
find out why OE gives me the "Command stream end of file"
error.  After looking at the conversion process and the pros/
cons, I'm pretty disappointed if this is the only recourse.  I know
that OE is the incarnation of pure evil, but the things it does well,
it does really well.  Please tell me there is a solution besides
converting to mbx.

Dave

---

Reply dheld (186) 10/12/2003 11:20:17 AM

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> So are you saying that the only way to get OE to work with an
> IMAP server is to convert mailboxes to mbx format?  I would
> really rather not do this if possible, and I spent a lot of work
> installing imap-2002e, generating a certificate, and trying to
> find out why OE gives me the "Command stream end of file"
> error.  After looking at the conversion process and the pros/
> cons, I'm pretty disappointed if this is the only recourse.  I know
> that OE is the incarnation of pure evil, but the things it does well,
> it does really well.  Please tell me there is a solution besides
> converting to mbx.

You could run a different IMAP server such as Cyrus.  But guess what: you
have to change the mailbox format if you use one of those servers!

The traditional UNIX mailbox format is a terrible format for use with
IMAP.  Most IMAP server implementations don't even try to support it.  UW
imapd does, but you have to deal with such restrictions as "no multiple
access."  A good IMAP client, such as Pine, deals with such restrictions;
but poorly-written clients do not.

OE is not the worst offender.  I enjoy evil empire bashing as much as
anyone else (including MS employees!); but I've seen much worse.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
Reply mrc12 (1336) 10/12/2003 2:28:32 PM

> [...]
> The traditional UNIX mailbox format is a terrible format for
> use with IMAP.  Most IMAP server implementations don't
> even try to support it.  UW imapd does, but you have to deal
> with such restrictions as "no multiple access."
> [...]

Ok, so I found a handy reference that told me that I could
make imapd itself convert my mailboxes to mbx format.
Apparently, it did.  I loaded up pine on my server (the same
one that is running imapd), and now it looks like all my
messages have been moved into the INBOX file.  However,
OE is still giving me the "Command stream end of file"
error.  What to do now?

Dave

---

Reply dheld (186) 10/12/2003 7:09:50 PM

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> Ok, so I found a handy reference that told me that I could
> make imapd itself convert my mailboxes to mbx format.
> Apparently, it did.  I loaded up pine on my server (the same
> one that is running imapd), and now it looks like all my
> messages have been moved into the INBOX file.  However,
> OE is still giving me the "Command stream end of file"
> error.  What to do now?

First of all, please understand that "Command stream end of file" is *not*
an error.  It is simply a logout entry, one that means the client
disconnected without first issuing a proper LOGOUT command.  In other
words, UW imapd did not close the connection; OE did (and rather
abruptly).

If you are successfully reading your mail with OE, then you can disregard
that message as just being "the way OE is."

If you are not sucessfully reading your mail with OE, look at *all* the
messages for that session carefully.  Depending upon your syslog level,
you should see a "service init" followed by a "login"/"authenticated"
followed by a "logout"/"end of file".

Do you see the login/authenticated message?  Do you see a user name in the
logout/end-of-file message or does it show "user=???"?

If you don't see any sign that you logged in, the problem may be that OE
is trying to do a plaintext password login on an unencrypted session.  By
default, you can't do that in UW imapd; it's a security hole since any bad
guy can sniff your session and steal your password.

You can build UW imapd so that it allows the security hole, but it's
better to use encrypted sessions instead.  First, did you follow the
instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly with regards to installing a server
certificate?

If so, look in your OE configuration for the option to use SSL and port
993 instead of non-SSL and port 143.  Try setting that option.

Good quality clients, such as Pine, automatically negotiate TLS encryption
on port 143 so you don't need to do any special configuration to get an
encrypted session.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
Reply mrc12 (1336) 10/12/2003 9:21:47 PM

> [...]
> First of all, please understand that "Command stream end of
> file" is *not* an error.

It is on somebody's end. ;)  But I understand your point.

> [...]
> Do you see the login/authenticated message?

No.  I see an init immediately followed by the "Command stream..."
message.

> Do you see a user name in the logout/end-of-file message
> or does it show "user=???"?

No user when using SSL.  If I turn off SSL, then I see a user,
but the server rejects the authentication, because of the whole
plaintext password thing.

> [...]
> First, did you follow the instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly
> with regards to installing a server certificate?

Yes, but it's a self-signed certificate.  Is there a way to test if
imapd doesn't like something about my SSL setup?

> If so, look in your OE configuration for the option to use SSL
> and port 993 instead of non-SSL and port 143.  Try setting
> that option.

Actually, both of those ports are blocked until I can get to my
router, but I have it listening on 9004 and I connect to that
through Outlook for now.

> Good quality clients, such as Pine, automatically negotiate
> TLS encryption on port 143 so you don't need to do any
> special configuration to get an encrypted session.

So basically don't expect TLS from OE?  Thanks for your
help so far.

Dave

---

Reply dheld (186) 10/14/2003 5:52:31 PM

in comp.mail.imap i read:
>"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message

>> First, did you follow the instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly
>> with regards to installing a server certificate?
>
>Yes, but it's a self-signed certificate.  Is there a way to test if
>imapd doesn't like something about my SSL setup?

use imtest.

--
a signature
0

"those who know me have no need of my name" <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
wrote in message news:m1u16bfaf6.gnus@usa.net...

> use imtest.

Do you mean mtest?  I don't see an imtest anywhere in my
source tree, and I even downloaded the utilities.  And I'm not
sure how to use mtest to see of SSL is working properly or
not.

Dave

---

Reply dheld (186) 10/15/2003 7:08:39 AM

David B. Held wrote:

> Do you mean mtest?

No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
Reply sahil (42) 10/15/2003 12:25:38 PM

"Sahil Tandon" <sahil@despammed.com> wrote in message
> David B. Held wrote:
>
> > Do you mean mtest?
>
> No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

Ok, and where can I find this program?  Like I said, I don't
see it anywhere on my system, and I built the latest version
from source, and downloaded the utils as well.

Dave

---

Reply dheld (186) 10/15/2003 3:08:36 PM

David B. Held wrote:

> Ok, and where can I find this program?  Like I said, I don't
> see it anywhere on my system, and I built the latest version
> from source, and downloaded the utils as well.

The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.

    <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>

Good luck.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
Reply sahil (42) 10/15/2003 4:27:42 PM

> [...]
> The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.
>
>     <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>

Oh, I see.  Thanks.  Are you sure that it will work with UW's
imapd, though?

Dave

---

Reply dheld (186) 10/15/2003 6:21:05 PM

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> > The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.
> >     <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>
> Oh, I see.  Thanks.  Are you sure that it will work with UW's
> imapd, though?

UW and Cyrus software has mutually interoperated for a decade.  Great
efforts are taken by both the UW and Cyrus teams to make sure that it
stays that way, including testing obscure cases to make sure both servers
return identical results.  Now, of course, server management tools are
specific to a particular server.  But IMAP protocol tools should work with
any compliant server.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
Reply mrc12 (1336) 10/15/2003 7:01:18 PM

in comp.mail.imap i read:
>"those who know me have no need of my name" <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
>wrote in message news:m1u16bfaf6.gnus@usa.net...

>> use imtest.
>
>Do you mean mtest?

sorry, yes for uw-imap you would use mtest.  though if you have cyrus then
imtest may be usable -- the version i have isn't capable of ssl so wouldn't
be useful to you.  openssl (s_client command) and stunnel can be used to
test the ssl and certificate aspects of imaps (imap over ssl, on port 993).

>I'm not sure how to use mtest to see of SSL is working properly or not.

mtest will show what is happening.  answer y to the `debug protocol' prompt.

--
a signature
0

in comp.mail.imap i read:
>David B. Held wrote:

>> Do you mean mtest?
>
>No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

actually i did mean mtest.  does imtest do ssl or starttls these days?

--
a signature
0

those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

> actually i did mean mtest.  does imtest do ssl or starttls these days?

Woops.  My fault, then; I thought you meant imtest.  I switched from Cyrus ->
UW a while back, so I'm not sure which method is used these days.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
Reply sahil (42) 10/15/2003 7:48:51 PM
comp.mail.imap 1689 articles. 0 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

IMAP server has closed the connection
I have a few users who are having an issue with the Outlook or Outlook express IMAP email accounts. They are getting the message that the IMAP server has closed the conection. One of them has his account set to check mail every 5 minutes, and the other is the same. Is there a setting/patch in Outlook/Express to correct that? I have many other users w/Otlook that do not have the same problem. They are both using Windows 98se in Intel PCs. The email server is a Linux box. Thanks - Drew M ...

IMAP server has closed the connection
I have a few users who are having an issue with the Outlook or Outlook express IMAP email accounts. They are getting the message that the IMAP server has closed the conection. One of them has his account set to check mail every 5 minutes, and the other is the same. Is there a setting/patch in Outlook/Express to correct that? I have many other users w/Otlook that do not have the same problem. They are both using Windows 98se in Intel PCs. The email server is a Linux box. Thanks - Drew McBee ...

IMAP server has closed the connection
I have a few users who are having an issue with the Outlook or Outlook express IMAP email accounts. They are getting the message that the IMAP server has closed the conection. One of them has his account set to check mail every 5 minutes, and the other is the same. Is there a setting/patch in Outlook/Express to correct that? I have many other users w/Otlook that do not have the same problem. They are both using Windows 98se in Intel PCs. The email server is a Linux box. Thanks - Drew M ...

IMAP server to connect to IMAP server?
Hi! I am looking for an IMAP server which can connect to an other IMAP server, caching all client activity until it is synchronized with the IMAP server it connects to. OK lets have an example: I move a folder with some client on the local IMAP server from one place to an other. When I connect my local server to the remote one, the folder will be moved on this server to. Same for mail I create, move, or delete. Connections from my local server to the remote are only from time to time. Does there exist a piece of software having these capabilities on Linux/FreeBSD and probably Windows? -- ...

Connection to the server is closed immediatedly after connect
ACE VERSION: 5.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: SuSE linux 9.0(32 bit) TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): g++ 3.3.1 CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: ln -sf $ACE_ROOT/ace/config-linux.h $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless ln -sf $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_linux.GNU $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: ACE compilation itself.(installation) DOES TH...

Connection close by oracle server
I have an client connect to the oracle server 8.1.7. After 12 hours the oracle close the connection to the client. The CONNECT_TIME and IDLE_TIME in the user profile is set to 'unlimited' but the connection is automaticly close after 12 hours. Is the an other parameter setting for this problem ? Josef B�hm > I have an client connect to the oracle server 8.1.7. After 12 hours the > oracle close the connection to the client. > The CONNECT_TIME and IDLE_TIME in the user profile is set to 'unlimited' > but the connection is automaticly close after 12 hours. >...

How to check if server closed connection?
Hi, I have a server and an applet that connect. The server uses SocketChannel and the applet uses plain Socket in a thread. When the server closes the socket (or if the connection is just broken somehow), I want the applet to recognize this and react. I know you can block for a byte from the socket's InputStream, with read(), and get a -1 to show the socket is closed. The problem is I don't want the thread to block because I am also sending data to the server occasionally, so blocking would interfere. How do you resolve this? I noticed that Socket.getInputStream(new byte[0]) does not...

Server unexpectedly closed connection
Hi, I am new to putty I am trying ssh to server, but I keep getting an error Server unexpectedly closed connection I am running Norton AV added putty to allowed programs, checked server details.........what else? "Andy & Karen" <celona@bigpond.com> writes: > Hi, > > I am new to putty I am trying ssh to server, but I keep getting an error > Server unexpectedly closed connection > > I am running Norton AV added putty to allowed programs, checked server > details.........what else? Inactivity timeout perhaps, network problem. On my cable mode...

IMAP Folder not closing connections
Does anyone know why Eudora (6.1.1.1 or any version) keeps the connection to the IMAP server open? This causes problems when one users tries to purge messages and someone else has the folder open. This connection stays active even if the IPAP folder is not open for viewing messages inside Eudora. That is, as soon as mail is checked, a connection appears on the server and remains there until Eudora is closed. Now, if I do the same thing with Outlook express, then the connection closes when I'm not previewing messages. Anyone else notice this behavior? Thanks for any info! ...

Problem closing server connection
Hi I'm developing a webapp using servlets, which processes a HTTP Post request and sent back MIME message (multipart/related - essentially SOAP message with Attachments). I'm constructing the MIME message manually (as I need to stream it to the client) and writing it to OutputStream (few bytes everytime). In the end, I close the OutputStream (without getting any exception), but still client keeps on waiting on the socket and it never get -1, while it reads from the InputStream. Thus server is not closing the socket even after closing the OutputStream. This problem ...

Server closed the connection unexpectedly
This problem occurs when running postgres locally on win2k , psql was running ok but now when typing: c:\>psql psql -d template1 c:\>psql -U username c:\>psql -l c:\>psql -e I still get psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly This problem means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request. I have checked the .pid file on the starting of postgres which is fine and the log file said that postgres is still running. I have checked the TYPE, DATABASE, IP_ADRESS in pg_hba.conf I have checked my host.txt and the IP is correct. I...

preventing server connection closing
Hi all Somewhere on this ng is a topic describing a windows api call to keep a connection to a server open, thus ensuring a permanent connection .. so when a long process is being run, and windows goes to sleep, the connection is not lost .. any ideas ? i have it in our software as well but cannot find it .. old age ! richard Dear richard.townsendrose: On Monday, March 11, 2013 5:09:57 AM UTC-7, richard.townsendrose wrote: .... > Somewhere on this ng is a topic describing a > windows api call to keep a connection to a > server open, thus ensuring a permanent >...

Hi: I'm getting this error when accessing a table with certain WHERE condition: "server closed the connection unexpectedly This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request. The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed." I've read through the posts but found no answer to the problem. When I "Vaccum analize" the table I get the same error. I have droped and re-created the indexes. Version is "PostgreSQL 7.2.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat ...

seeking smtp-server closing connection
For testing purposes, I'm looking for a SMTP server which closes the connection if the authentication fails. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=141052 Jens Martin Schlatter ...

TCPIP$IMAP server zombie connections
My IMAP server (VMS 7.3-1, TCPIP 5.3) is working, but there's a problem. I use several computers to access it, and a certain one seems to hog all the connections after running for hours/days. The culprit is a Powermac G3 running MacOS 10.2 and using Mozilla 1.4 to connect to IMAP on the Alpha. The G3 tends to go to sleep a lot but hardly ever reboots. Apparantly when it wakes up, it thinks it needs a new connection, but the Alpha still remembers the old one. Is there a way I can make the VMS IMAP server close old connections? Side question: Does TCPIP$IMAP work with SSL? I'...

server unexpectedly closed network connection
I have just installed OpenSSH_5.1pq-hpn13v5, OpenSSL 0.9.8i 15 Sep 2008 on a server and find that I need to use PuTTY 0.58 in order to connect. 0.59 and 0.60 both fail to connect with a 'Server unexpectedly closed network connection' error. Running sshd in debug mode gives this output Any suggestions what could be the issue? debug1: HPN Disabled: 1, HPN Buffer Size: 131072 debug1: Client protocol version 2.0; client software version PuTTY_Release_0.60 SSH: Server;Ltype: Version;Remote: 10.xxx.xxx.xxx-1046;Protocol: 2.0;Client: PuTTY_Release_0.60 debug1: no match: PuTTY_Release_0.60...

Connecting to a newly installed IMAP server
I have installed the bincimapd IMAP server on one of my machines. I can access the IMAP mail server via telnet as follows: Trying 10.0.0.8... Connected to markhobley.yi.org. Escape character is '^]'. * OK Welcome to Binc IMAP Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Andreas Aardal Hanssen at 2008-06-16 09:09:54 +0100 1 login mark password 1 OK LOGIN completed 2 CAPABILITY * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 2 OK CAPABILITY completed 3 logout * BYE Binc IMAP shutting down 3 OK LOGOUT completed Connection closed by foreign host. At the moment, my mail directory is empty (apart from the .password file), and I hav...

[tao-bugs] server closes connection
Here's the PRF: -------------------------------------------------------------------------- TAO VERSION: 1.3a_p2-OCI ACE VERSION: 5.3a_p2-OCI but also repeatable with latest DOC version HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: HPUX 10.20 COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.01.27 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: CORBA server closes connection when sending a lot of data. DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? no LINKING? no EXECUTION? YES ! O...

[ace-users] server closes connection
--0-348674199-1063197416=:85473 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Hi Ace-users, In a client-server application; when server closes connection , client gets -1 only one time and it prints it on screen. This works in Windows 2000 but when I try this in Solaris I see that " -1 "comes from server many times and client prints these messages.approximately, 21 times. Why do this happen?I use Reactor for select() mechanism . I think different select mechanism causes this. Is it possible that Solaris kernel sends -1 many times or what else? Thanks. Sincerely ---------------------...

Error: server closed the connection unexpectedely
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C4432C.2622A91E Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-2" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone, =20 this is my first post to postgres mailing list.=20 =20 System that I use: I am using Postgres under last CygWin published on public mirrors at the mo= ment.=20 OS system runing is Windows 2000 professional, 1024 or 256 or 512 MB of RAM= and 40Gb of disk. Postmaster shows version 7.4.1 =20 Problem: When trying to create database using script file (containing only create...

Cyrus Imap -> cannot connect to saslauthd server
Please help! I'm trying to get Cyrus Imap 2.1.16 to use shadow for authentication throught Cyrus sasl 2.1.15. When I try to connect to POP3 or IMAP, I get the following message in /var/log/messages: Nov 20 20:08:50 farstarnet pop3d[1975]: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory Nov 20 20:08:50 farstarnet pop3d[1975]: badlogin: CPE00e02939dd6e-CM0000390fcc62.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com[67.60.21.209] plaintext jfbilodeau SASL(-1): generic failure: checkpass failed Sasl seems to work fine authenticating users with Postfix & SMTP, but will not work with IMAP. Sa...

Ctrl-C does not work when connecting to imap server
Hello, If I hit control-C when mutt is connecting to an IMAP server, mutt seems to get messed up. For example, I use mutt to access my Gmail using IMAP. If I type control-C when mutt's status is: Connecting to imap.gmail.com... mutt seems to hang for a very long time. However, control-Z works as expected. I normally use mutt-1.5.16-4.fc8, but this seems to happen even with mutt-1.5.20 which I just compiled from source and tried. Is this a known problem? Thanks for any suggestions. Mandar. ...

server closes client connection right away
Hello, I'm writing an echo server /client application using C++, and I have this problem, the program runs fine under my linux box, its FC4, but I sent it to some guy to test it and he tells me that as soon as a client connects it disconnects, for example ../echosrv Client 0 connected from 127.0.0.1 and port 43402 Connection closed for client 0 Client 1 connected from xx.xx.xx.xx and port 35272 Connection closed for client 1 and this happens if you try to connect from a localhost or from a remote one, does anyone has any idea, why this could be happening, regards, Yazan ...

imap.web.de closes connection after authentication
Hello, following strange behaviour with imap.web.de : mozilla mail client shows "Sending login information..." and refuses to show new mail headers or mail content. Same with thunderbird. With SSL same as without. pop3 works OK. manual verification: a) telnet imap.web.de imap * OK WEB.DE IMAP4-Server 1 login "my.name" "passwd" Connection closed. <--- not expected b) Test with incorrect password (result as expected) * OK WEB.DE IMAP4-Server 1 login "my.name" "wrong passwort" 1 NO Login incorrect c) Test with different web.de account (...