Your IMAP Server has closed the connection

I upgraded to OpenSSL and IMAP2002 to overcome the closed connection
problem, but am still getting an error in Outlook XP and Outlook 2000 -
"Your IMAP Server has closed the connection. This may occur if you have left
the connection idle for too long." This doesn't happen on my IMAP email
account at UW, so there must be something I can do on the server side to
overcome this problem. Does anyone have pointers to this info?

Thanks,

Bill Herman

0
wherman (3)
10/4/2003 2:29:15 PM
comp.mail.imap 1690 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can not have
multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox (a stupid thing
that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).  When you open a new
connection, your previous connection is killed.

UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple connections
and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/4/2003 5:02:38 PM
OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.

I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.

I deleted the users and added them back through the Qube 2's web based
administration interface.  I thought this would make an INBOX file in
/home/users/bill /home/users/wherman but it didn't.  Unfortunately this did
not create INBOX files.  Somehow tmail and maildelivery keeps working but I
am gettin the connection closed thing.

Where can I find the info I need to get this to work?

Thanks,
Bill Herman

I can't find the man pages
"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
> Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can not have
> multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox (a stupid thing
> that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).  When you open a new
> connection, your previous connection is killed.
>
> UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple connections
> and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.
>
> -- Mark --
>
> http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
> Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
> Si vis pacem, para bellum.

0
wherman (3)
10/5/2003 7:12:58 PM
Bill Herman wrote:

> OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
> http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
> part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.

Elaborate.  What errors did you run into?

> I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
> wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
> syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
> you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.

Again, elaborate as to *why* mbxcvt "wouldn't make" -- paste the relevant
portion of any error output.  Incidentally, there is a man pages.  From within
the source dir, type:

    nroff -man mbxcvt.1 | less

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil

I still had problems, but was able to figure it out.  I didn't realize
each user needed to login and run 'mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX' I tried
moving from directory to directory and running it as root.

I appreciate your help.  I would never have come up with 'nroff -man
mbxcvt.1 | less' on my own.  You and Mark are very kind to shepherd
the flock.  There just doesn't seem to be a way to learn this yourself
and your pointers made me think.

Thanks,

Bill Herman

> Bill Herman wrote:
>
> > OK, I want mbx.  I have read the FAQ.  I found a recipe at
> > http://linux-sxs.org/email/mbx.html  and followed it, except the mbxcvt
> > part.  I tried 3 routes to create inbox files and came up empty.
>
> Elaborate.  What errors did you run into?
>
> > I can't find any man pages, docs or examples on mailutil or mbxcvt.  mbxcvt
> > wouldn't make.  I couldn't figure out mailutil and don't understand the
> > syntax for <oldname> and assume all I need for <newname> is INBOX.  I assume
> > you run this in home/users/wherman or whatever user directory.
>
> Again, elaborate as to *why* mbxcvt "wouldn't make" -- paste the relevant
> portion of any error output.  Incidentally, there is a man pages.  From within
> the source dir, type:
>
>     nroff -man mbxcvt.1 | less
0
wherman
10/6/2003 2:57:47 AM
Bill Herman wrote:

> I editted the Makefile in mbxcvt and editted the path from imap to
> imap-2002c1 and was then able to compile.

That'll work; alternatively you could create a symlink that points imap ->
imap-2002c1.

> I still had problems, but was able to figure it out.  I didn't realize
> each user needed to login and run 'mbxcvt INBOX mbx INBOX' I tried
> moving from directory to directory and running it as root.

I'm able to convert other user's mailboxes as root.  What happens when you try?
Make sure you're entering `/full/path/to/INBOX' and not simply `INBOX'.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)
10/6/2003 3:35:00 AM
"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message
> Are you using traditional UNIX mailbox format?  If so, you can
> not have multiple simultaneous connections to the same mailbox
> (a stupid thing that broken programs such as Outlook love to do).
> When you open a new connection, your previous connection is
> killed.
>
> UW uses mbx format on its IMAP servers, which allows multiple
> connections and thus does not trigger this Outlook design flaw.

So are you saying that the only way to get OE to work with an
IMAP server is to convert mailboxes to mbx format?  I would
really rather not do this if possible, and I spent a lot of work
installing imap-2002e, generating a certificate, and trying to
find out why OE gives me the "Command stream end of file"
error.  After looking at the conversion process and the pros/
cons, I'm pretty disappointed if this is the only recourse.  I know
that OE is the incarnation of pure evil, but the things it does well,
it does really well.  Please tell me there is a solution besides
converting to mbx.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/12/2003 11:20:17 AM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> So are you saying that the only way to get OE to work with an
> IMAP server is to convert mailboxes to mbx format?  I would
> really rather not do this if possible, and I spent a lot of work
> installing imap-2002e, generating a certificate, and trying to
> find out why OE gives me the "Command stream end of file"
> error.  After looking at the conversion process and the pros/
> cons, I'm pretty disappointed if this is the only recourse.  I know
> that OE is the incarnation of pure evil, but the things it does well,
> it does really well.  Please tell me there is a solution besides
> converting to mbx.

You could run a different IMAP server such as Cyrus.  But guess what: you
have to change the mailbox format if you use one of those servers!

The traditional UNIX mailbox format is a terrible format for use with
IMAP.  Most IMAP server implementations don't even try to support it.  UW
imapd does, but you have to deal with such restrictions as "no multiple
access."  A good IMAP client, such as Pine, deals with such restrictions;
but poorly-written clients do not.

OE is not the worst offender.  I enjoy evil empire bashing as much as
anyone else (including MS employees!); but I've seen much worse.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/12/2003 2:28:32 PM
> [...]
> The traditional UNIX mailbox format is a terrible format for
> use with IMAP.  Most IMAP server implementations don't
> even try to support it.  UW imapd does, but you have to deal
> with such restrictions as "no multiple access."
> [...]

Ok, so I found a handy reference that told me that I could
make imapd itself convert my mailboxes to mbx format.
Apparently, it did.  I loaded up pine on my server (the same
one that is running imapd), and now it looks like all my
messages have been moved into the INBOX file.  However,
OE is still giving me the "Command stream end of file"
error.  What to do now?

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/12/2003 7:09:50 PM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> Ok, so I found a handy reference that told me that I could
> make imapd itself convert my mailboxes to mbx format.
> Apparently, it did.  I loaded up pine on my server (the same
> one that is running imapd), and now it looks like all my
> messages have been moved into the INBOX file.  However,
> OE is still giving me the "Command stream end of file"
> error.  What to do now?

First of all, please understand that "Command stream end of file" is *not*
an error.  It is simply a logout entry, one that means the client
disconnected without first issuing a proper LOGOUT command.  In other
words, UW imapd did not close the connection; OE did (and rather
abruptly).

If you are successfully reading your mail with OE, then you can disregard
that message as just being "the way OE is."

If you are not sucessfully reading your mail with OE, look at *all* the
messages for that session carefully.  Depending upon your syslog level,
you should see a "service init" followed by a "login"/"authenticated"
followed by a "logout"/"end of file".

Do you see the login/authenticated message?  Do you see a user name in the
logout/end-of-file message or does it show "user=???"?

If you don't see any sign that you logged in, the problem may be that OE
is trying to do a plaintext password login on an unencrypted session.  By
default, you can't do that in UW imapd; it's a security hole since any bad
guy can sniff your session and steal your password.

You can build UW imapd so that it allows the security hole, but it's
better to use encrypted sessions instead.  First, did you follow the
instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly with regards to installing a server
certificate?

If so, look in your OE configuration for the option to use SSL and port
993 instead of non-SSL and port 143.  Try setting that option.

Good quality clients, such as Pine, automatically negotiate TLS encryption
on port 143 so you don't need to do any special configuration to get an
encrypted session.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/12/2003 9:21:47 PM
> [...]
> First of all, please understand that "Command stream end of
> file" is *not* an error.

It is on somebody's end. ;)  But I understand your point.

> [...]
> Do you see the login/authenticated message?

No.  I see an init immediately followed by the "Command stream..."
message.

> Do you see a user name in the logout/end-of-file message
> or does it show "user=???"?

No user when using SSL.  If I turn off SSL, then I see a user,
but the server rejects the authentication, because of the whole
plaintext password thing.

> [...]
> First, did you follow the instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly
> with regards to installing a server certificate?

Yes, but it's a self-signed certificate.  Is there a way to test if
imapd doesn't like something about my SSL setup?

> If so, look in your OE configuration for the option to use SSL
> and port 993 instead of non-SSL and port 143.  Try setting
> that option.

Actually, both of those ports are blocked until I can get to my
router, but I have it listening on 9004 and I connect to that
through Outlook for now.

> Good quality clients, such as Pine, automatically negotiate
> TLS encryption on port 143 so you don't need to do any
> special configuration to get an encrypted session.

So basically don't expect TLS from OE?  Thanks for your
help so far.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/14/2003 5:52:31 PM
in comp.mail.imap i read:
>"Mark Crispin" <mrc@CAC.Washington.EDU> wrote in message

>> First, did you follow the instructions in SSLBUILD, particularly
>> with regards to installing a server certificate?
>
>Yes, but it's a self-signed certificate.  Is there a way to test if
>imapd doesn't like something about my SSL setup?

use imtest.

--
a signature
"those who know me have no need of my name" <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
wrote in message news:m1u16bfaf6.gnus@usa.net...

> use imtest.

Do you mean mtest?  I don't see an imtest anywhere in my
source tree, and I even downloaded the utilities.  And I'm not
sure how to use mtest to see of SSL is working properly or
not.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/15/2003 7:08:39 AM
David B. Held wrote:

> Do you mean mtest?

No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)
10/15/2003 12:25:38 PM
"Sahil Tandon" <sahil@despammed.com> wrote in message
> David B. Held wrote:
>
> > Do you mean mtest?
>
> No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

Ok, and where can I find this program?  Like I said, I don't
see it anywhere on my system, and I built the latest version
from source, and downloaded the utils as well.

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/15/2003 3:08:36 PM
David B. Held wrote:

> Ok, and where can I find this program?  Like I said, I don't
> see it anywhere on my system, and I built the latest version
> from source, and downloaded the utils as well.

The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.

    <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>

Good luck.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)
10/15/2003 4:27:42 PM
> [...]
> The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.
>
>     <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>

Oh, I see.  Thanks.  Are you sure that it will work with UW's
imapd, though?

Dave

---

dheld (186)
10/15/2003 6:21:05 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, David B. Held wrote:
> > The Cyrus (not UW) IMAP Server package contains imtest.
> >     <http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/>
> Oh, I see.  Thanks.  Are you sure that it will work with UW's
> imapd, though?

UW and Cyrus software has mutually interoperated for a decade.  Great
efforts are taken by both the UW and Cyrus teams to make sure that it
stays that way, including testing obscure cases to make sure both servers
return identical results.  Now, of course, server management tools are
specific to a particular server.  But IMAP protocol tools should work with
any compliant server.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
0
mrc12 (1336)
10/15/2003 7:01:18 PM
in comp.mail.imap i read:
>"those who know me have no need of my name" <not-a-real-address@usa.net>
>wrote in message news:m1u16bfaf6.gnus@usa.net...

>> use imtest.
>
>Do you mean mtest?

sorry, yes for uw-imap you would use mtest.  though if you have cyrus then
imtest may be usable -- the version i have isn't capable of ssl so wouldn't
be useful to you.  openssl (s_client command) and stunnel can be used to
test the ssl and certificate aspects of imaps (imap over ssl, on port 993).

>I'm not sure how to use mtest to see of SSL is working properly or not.

mtest will show what is happening.  answer y to the `debug protocol' prompt.

--
a signature
in comp.mail.imap i read:
>David B. Held wrote:

>> Do you mean mtest?
>
>No, he meant imtest -- interactive IMAP test program.

actually i did mean mtest.  does imtest do ssl or starttls these days?

--
a signature
those who know me have no need of my name wrote:

> actually i did mean mtest.  does imtest do ssl or starttls these days?

Woops.  My fault, then; I thought you meant imtest.  I switched from Cyrus ->
UW a while back, so I'm not sure which method is used these days.

--
Sahil Tandon <sahil@despammed.com>
http://people.brandeis.edu/~sahil
0
sahil (42)

how to use pyODBC to connect to MySql ,please give me a sample
host name : localhost user name:root password:19910512 database name : shopping On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 18:36:13 -0700 (PDT), iMath <redstone-cold@163.com> declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general: > > host name : localhost > user name:root > password:19910512 > database name : shopping Have you looked at http://code.google.com/p/pyodbc/wiki/GettingStarted ODBC is an intermediary system... That is, the application (in this case, the code using pyODBC) connects to a defined "data source" managed by the OS-common ODBC system. ...

Associate Unix User Account with Server
Hello, I was wondering, how can I associate unix user accounts to work with various servers, such as Database servers, Administration servers, etc. Additionally what interface does unix provide for this type of association? Thanks, Kushal In <e9d0a198.0409201246.588c6228@posting.google.com> kushal.agarwal@gmail.com (Kushal Agarwal) writes: > Hello, > I was wondering, how can I associate unix user accounts to work with > various servers, such as Database servers, Administration servers, > etc. Individual applications often provide a mechanism (eg a configuration file) ...

How to set up SSL server??
I am very confused. I am running apache 1.33 and PHP 4.3.1.0. I have no idea what to do with either to enable SSL. I have read that PHP needs to be compiled with some openssl option. And I understand I have to make some apache configurations. Can someone point me in the right direction? I don't even know where to start... thanks, brian >I am very confused. I am running apache 1.33 and PHP 4.3.1.0. I have no idea >what to do with either to enable SSL. I have read that PHP needs to be >compiled with some openssl option. And I understand I have to make some >apache co...

problem trying to stop a server class
Hello, I have a problem trying to stop a server class (implemented in COBOL) from the pathcom interface. I have two questions, but before some details: I apologize, my message is long, but I would like to give you a lot of details. The name of the server in pathway $AB00 is SERVER1 and have only one process --> $ABCD I want to stop the server only when the stop request comes from the pathmon interface. To manage this case I did the following: SELECT MSG-INPUT ASSIGN TO $RECEIVE FILE STATUS IS RECEIVE-STATUS. =85 01 RECEIVE-STATUS. 03 RECEIVE-STAT1 ...

Turn-key OpenVMS E-mail, web server solution?
Is anyone aware of a company prodiving a turn-key OpenVMS solution for e-mail, web services and/or both? I thought I followed a link on Google Groups to one once, but I didn't print anything out from that site and don't a URL to go back to. The time for such seems to be ripening, and if Itanic can repair its hull, pump out and put itself to rights, OVMS-I64 may be a practical alternative to the trendier UN*X options (which will, undoubtedly, be available on the soon-to-be ubiquitous x86-64, unlike a certain o.s. we all know of - VMS snoozes, it loses). D.J.D. David J Dachtera wrote:...

US-TX-Austin: Sr. Lead Consultant, Client/Server Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server; (45324232432)
US-TX-Austin: Sr. Lead Consultant, Client/Server Visual Basic, ASP, SQL Server; (45324232432) ============================================================================================= Position: Sr. Lead Consultant Reference: SMC01419 Location: Austin TX Duration: C-P Skills: Demonstrated leadership exp and the ability to assume a leadership role in a team with minimal supervision. Excellent client relationship skills including negotiation and expectation management. 5+yrs Client/Server and/or Internet developmen...

IMAP
Hi, are there ActiveX components that I can use in Dolphin to access my mailbox via IMAP? G´┐Żnther ...

ANN: 'tsshbatch' Server Automation Tool Version 1.204 Released
'tsshbatch' Version 1.204 is now released and available for download at: http://www.tundraware.com/Software/tsshbatch This is a major update with many bug fixes and improvements. Existing users will want to update sooner rather than later. The last public release was 1.177. --------------------------------------------------------------------- What Is 'tsshbatch'? -------------------- 'tsshbatch' is a server automation tool to enable you to issue commands to many servers without having to log into each one separately. When writing scripts,...

imap vs map
Hello everyone, I re-wrote more "slowly" an example at the end of http://wordaligned.org/articles/essential-python-reading-list This example finds anagrams in the text file. ==== from itertools import groupby, imap from operator import itemgetter from string import ascii_lowercase, ascii_uppercase, punctuation, maketrans, translate data = open(r"c:\temp\words.txt", "rt").read() trtable = maketrans(ascii_uppercase, ascii_lowercase) words = translate(data, trtable, deletions = punctuation) words = list(set(words.split())) sw = sort...

IMAP subfolder issue
Hi there, Ive problems with IMAP subfolder using Mutt.. When I try to open a subfolder, I see it, I can open it, but I can't see the emails!!! The IMAP server is Cyrus IMAP4 v2.0.16 and my Mutt client is Mutt 1.4i. I attach a part of my muttrc: set spoolfile=imap://server.imap.de/INBOX set folder=imap://server.imap.de/INBOX mailboxes =INBOX/Sent =INBOX/nic-maillist #set imap_list_subscribed=yes set imap_user=pippo set ssl_starttls=no set mail_check=15 set timeout=5 set record="imap://server.imap.de/INBOX.Sent" I hope that someone has already encounter this...

PowerBuilder applications Developer; PowerBuilder, SQL Server, Web (45351614629)
PowerBuilder applications Developer; PowerBuilder, SQL Server, Web (45351614629) ================================================================================ Position: PowerBuilder/SQL Develope Reference: SMC01996 Location: Austin TX Duration: Skills: PowerBuilder SQL Server WEB development ACCESS a plus .NET a plus ASP.Net a plus Scope: Develop and maintaing web applications using PowerBuilder. Our Client: For over thirteen years this company has provided its ...

Suggestions for recommended requiremens for a PC to run ClearCase server
I would like to hear from anyone who is running Rational ClearCase on a PC, either Linux or Windows. I am especially interested in suggestions for the recommended requirements for the PC, i.e. RAM and HDD. The ClearCase website recommends as a minimum: 256Mb Ram 70Mb hard disk space However, sometime minimums are marginal. We are a team of 15 developers, so if anyone has a similar size team and running ClearCase on a PC, please respond to this post. Thank you Mark markwebber@yahoo.com (Mark) writes: > I would like to hear from anyone who is running Rational ClearCa...

BI server experiences
Hi My organisation has just purchased BI server from SI and I am likely to be expected to look after it and the users. I have been using SAS for about 10 years now and have a good understanding of SAS9. I have also done a little bit of work with management console - and metadata server in the past - but I am not too sure about BI server. We will have base SAS and some other products BI server, integration technologies, and enterprise guide all coming with little experience in managing these. I am going to do a management console course later this year with SI, but I think that I am ...

US-TX-Austin: Database Admin,MS Systems Admin., SQL Server Admin, Veritas; DH (45326157603)
US-TX-Austin: Database Admin,MS Systems Admin., SQL Server Admin, Veritas; DH (45326157603) =========================================================================================== Position: Database Admin Reference: SMC01707 Location: Austin TX Duration: DH Skills: 2+yrs Microsoft system administration in a production environment. 2+yrs SQL Server database administration and support experience in a production environment. Knowledge of Database monitoring, Index optimization ...

Bind unable to get MX reocrd from Parrent name server
Hi Occasionally we see customer is complainning that we are not able to resolve mx record when mxtoolbox or other website can resolve their mx record . If i do a trace on the domain, i get bellow . now the problem is : demeter.is.co.za. and babylon.mitsol.co.za does not know anything about MX record of that domain. but if i query by using parent name server ns1.yithosting.co.za. and ns2.yithosting.co.za , it returns the mx record . but mxtoolbox, introdns can resolve the mx record although they complain the same that """" The following nameservers are li...

Attribute Data in arcIMS from ORACLE server
Can I display through arcIMS attribute data stored in a relational ORACLE database along with a map located in a shape file? I don't want to use the attribute data assosiated directly to the shape file(dbf) and I don't want to use a extrernal way to communicate with the ORACLE db (e.g. through a java applet). Using ArcSDE, Arc IMS can deliver data in a relational database, but I don;t want to extract from the ORACLE db geographic data - just attribute ones. Is it possible to get just attribute data from ArcSDE and assosiate it with a map on ArcIMS. Thank you, George Mourk...

Closing a wxDialog ('x' system button)
Hi all, I would like to translate this python sample into C++ code: #python version #this code is working for me: from wxPython.wx import * class DymmyClass(wxApp): def OnInit(self): dlg = wxDialog(None, -1, "coucou") dlg.ShowModal() dlg.Destroy() return 1 if __name__ == "__main__": app = DymmyClass() app.MainLoop() //C++ version //This one is not: #include <wx/wx.h> class DummyClass: public wxApp { public: bool OnInit(); }; IMPLEMENT_APP(DummyClass) bool DummyClass:...

anyone seen fantom servers popping up in ntpq ?
Just seen my router pop into my Raspberry Pi's stats. Anyone seen this? electron:~ mike$ ntpq -pn raspberrypi-eth0 remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ============================================================================== +192.168.1.4 .PPS1. 1 u 8 64 377 0.934 0.065 0.025 *192.168.1.7 .PPS1. 1 u 2 64 377 0.893 0.036 0.039 192.168.1.1 .INIT. 16 u - 68m 0 0.000 0.000 0.000 ntpq> assoc ind assid status conf reach auth condition last_event cnt...

[ace-users] Re: is ace fit for server-side programming, like game server?
Hi Wen, >> i would like to use ace as socket layer, including game >> development. is the idea reasonable? Sure. >> tell me successful cases pls. thank you. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-users.html for a list of some of the 1,000s of projects using ACE. Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashvil...

Multi-Threaded server which can handle UDP, TCP clients
Hello there, I would like to implement a multi-threaded server which can accept requests from both TCP as well as UDP clients. Can anyone suggest how to proceed for this? After contemplating it, following are my doubts regarding the implementation. 1) Is there any way by which we can decipher in the server program weather it is TCP/UDP request so that it can be handled accordingly. 2) Since the server should handle both TCP, UDP requests, I think I need to create two sockets for both TCP and UDP in the server program? If yes, is it possible to reuse same port and IP address for two different...

To get the HTTP response headers such as content length from a web server
I would like to use Perl to help me download some files by using the curl command like this system("curl https://www.foo.com/ -o ~/sample/Test.exe"); I need to fasten this process by simultaneously running three threads that run the same curl command but different parts of the file. Hence speeding up the process. But for this I need to find the size of the file that needs to be downloaded I thought that by getting the HTTP response for the particular GET request I shall get the file size. Can somebody help me how to go about with this........ dhawangayash@gmail.com <dhaw...

5XP Virtual Servers AND SSH
I have a 5XP that has been running for a very long time. It has one of the original versions of Screen OS on it, 2.6 or something like that. I have contacted Juniper about upgrading the software with no response so far. Anyway here is my question.. I am trying to log into a machine on my trusted network using SSH. I have tested and have no trouble doing this locally, now I want to get in via the internet. I created.. 2 services on the Virtual IP (these are Net Screen terms) The first : Virtual IP :Untrusted interface ip (192.168.1.0). Virtual Port 2121 Service FTP Map to IP : 192.16...

off topic (news server)
I am using IE to use this newsgroup, How can I open this form in Outlook Express? is there a news://...google.com link? Thanks... Ben wrote: > I am using IE to use this newsgroup, http://www.getfirefox.com >:) > How can I open this form in Outlook Express? What form? > is there a news://...google.com link? Google doesn't provide NNTP access to Usenet, only web. There are plenty of providers who do offer NNTP access though. There is a good chance your ISP does, so ask them first. According to http://www.napasoftware.com/news_server_lookup.php, you should be able to use...

US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, UNIX, Win NT, Server Administration; 6M (45335232406)
US-TX-Austin: Project Manager, UNIX, Win NT, Server Administration; 6M (45335232406) ==================================================================================== Position: Project Manager Reference: MKL00845 Location: Austin TX Duration: 6M Skills: UNIX Win NT Server Administration S 390 Server Solutions Baan ERP Scope: A strong technical PM with Infrastructure background to assess customer hardware, software and what personnel is supporting it today. Among other things, i...

Can't connect from OS 10.4.7 to G4 running MacOS 9.2.2
Greetings Since upgrading from Panther to Tiger, I can no longer connect to a G4 running OS 9.2.2. I get a message saying Connection failed This file server uses an incompatible version of the AFP protocol. You cannot connect to it. OK I had a look on Apple support, and I couldn't find a newer version of the OS 9 software to solve the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Regards Murray Anderson Cape Town In article <C0D9777C.1BCD%mca@milestones.co.za>, Murray Anderson <mca@milestones.co.za> wrote: > Greetings > > Since upgrading from Panther to Tiger, I ca...