Is there a way to locate old emails I sent years ago?

I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
newsgroup posts.

Thanks for any info.

0
spudboy2 (1)
6/5/2005 8:59:33 PM
comp.mail.misc 4529 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004

Bruce writes:

> I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
> try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
> way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
> anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
> can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
> able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
> newsgroup posts.

If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.

But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
of luck.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004--
0
Sam
6/5/2005 9:46:03 PM

> If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
> that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
> and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.
>
> But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
> of luck.

It was an old computer that i don't have anymore, was hoping somehow on
the web it could be done still.

0
Bruce
6/5/2005 10:59:37 PM
On 5 Jun 2005 15:59:37 -0700, Bruce wrote:

>> If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
>> that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
>> and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.
>>
>> But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
>> of luck.
>
> It was an old computer that i don't have anymore, was hoping somehow on
> the web it could be done still.

The web is not magic. Unless you put something on the web, it won't be
there to pull it back. AOL is not the web. I don't know how they run their
mail servers. If you removed the messages from their servers when you
downloaded to your computer, they would be gone from those servers. They
may have some policy based on size, or time, but I have no idea. Nor what
you did when you stored the messages locally.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Bruce wrote:

B> I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
B> try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
B> way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
B> anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
B> can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
B> able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
B> newsgroup posts.

Surely looking for a 5 year old email is not the only path.  Google his
name, his email address, his dog's name ....

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
  There is also a password autoresponder but, unless this a very
  old message, a "tuna" will swim right through. )

0
Alan

Import my old Apple Mail emails into my current Apple Mail
I have a backup of Apple Mail emails that I want to import into my current Apple Mail setup without overwriting what I have set up now. Is this possible? ...

Way to "break" the connection? So that moving an email out of sent to a folder, we can then delete the remaining copy in sent?
One behaviour that I'd forgotten about in LN and that drives me nuts is the very thing which I'm sure many people find it excellent for - the way emails are interconnected. And for the most part, I also like this feature. But where I don't is in how I've developed a system over the years in Outlook that I can't use here. My preference is to keep my sent folder completely empty. Once I send a msg, in Outlook I then move it out of sent into the inbox or file. A big annoyance, _for_me_, is that sure I can move the emails but it leaves behind a copy in the sent...

Way to "break" the connection? So that moving an email out of sent to a folder, we can then delete the remaining copy in sent?
One behaviour that I'd forgotten about in LN and that drives me nuts is the very thing which I'm sure many people find it excellent for - the way emails are interconnected. And for the most part, I also like this feature. But where I don't is in how I've developed a system over the years in Outlook that I can't use here. My preference is to keep my sent folder completely empty. Once I send a msg, in Outlook I then move it out of sent into the inbox or file. A big annoyance, _for_me_, is that sure I can move the emails but it leaves behind a copy in the sent...

Any way to retrieve email? (Mail.app)
Hi all, my dad (76 yro) accidently deleted his email when he deleted an email account. Is the mail stored anywhere such that it can be retrieved? Is there any retrieval app we can try? Latest Tiger, iBook G3, Mail.app Thanks, Greg On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:06:46 -0600, Greg wrote (in article <greg-49828D.12064618112006@26-96-177-194.serverdedicati.seflow.net>): > Hi all, my dad (76 yro) accidently deleted his email when he deleted an > email account. Is the mail stored anywhere such that it can be > retrieved? Is there any retrieval app we can try? > > Latest Ti...

Location, location, location
Folks, My troubles with the planning board over at the Eclipse Retirement Village continues this morning. No matter how much I think I don't want or need additional information, they keep faxing and e-mailing real estate regulations over to me. They yell at me if I don't think I want a Debug View: http://www.dfanning.com/workbench/nullptrerr.html They pester me with Problem Views if I choose to solve my own damn problems. It is not possible, apparently, to build on a large, uncluttered lot. Homes can be no more than 1200 square feet and set back no more than four feet from the c...

Which is the best way to archive old mails in Pegasus
Like most of you I've piled up a lot of mail with older versions of Pegasus in different formats. I.e. in some cases I backuped the whole mailbox and sometimes I saved all messages from a folder to a text file. Now I wanna merge all old mails - if possible - to one format that can be browsed by Pegasus since browsing text files with a viewer is much less comfortable. So I'm thinking about putting all old mails into one folder that will be stored in zipped format on my backup media and only integrated back into Pegasus in case I gotta look up some old mails. Is this pos...

Email message lost on way to mail queue
After using mutt successfully for *four years* without a single hitch, I have hit a problem that is totally beyond me. I use exim4 as my MTA and it normally queues the emails that I write in "/var/spool/exim4/input" until I log on to the net - when all queued messages get sent. It happens, not infrequently, that I change my mind about the content of entries in that queue. My standard routine - which has always worked until now - is to revise and resend my message from "mutt" and delete the previous entry in the exim queue. Whenever I send any message to the e...

Automatically taking email addresses as mails get sent
(Hi all. This is my first post to comp.mail.pine!) Is there a way to have (al)pine automatically (T)ake email addresses from emails I send? (Perhaps it would only be needed for email addresses nto in my address book.) That way, pressing Send would be have the side-effect of adding them to my address book. That would rule my world. And hi! This is my first comp.mail.pine post, thanks to the free NNTP service available from http://news.aioe.org/ ! -- Asheesh. -- QOTD: "If I could walk that way, I wouldn't need the cologne, now would I?" On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Ashees...

80 year old communist says on his way home from the pub
The great pride... Its all just a great bullshit!!!. USS! Hey USS! I am your greatest enemy. ...

Is there a way to get OPCOM requests sent to an email address or pager
Hi folks! Is there some way to have OPCOM (or some other process) send notifications = to an email address or a pager/mobile phone when there are outstanding oper= ator requests? This is as opposed to having an operator sitting at a console (or checking = it from time to time) to find those requests, but instead for the system to= more proactively send such notifications to someone who can address them. I have only ever been motivated enough to use DCL to scan down the current = OPERATOR.LOG file to detect open OPCOM requests requiring intervention. Th= is takes longer and longer as OPERATOR.LOG grows and therefore that file ha= s to be reset on some basis to keep the file small enough to scan in a reas= onable amount of time, and it also depends on how long it takes for a given= request to actually post on OPERATOR.LOG (which can be a few minutes at le= ast). I have not yet scanned the entire COMP.OS.VMS group to see what there might= be, so I will take my lumps if I am taking a shortcut and something is alr= eady out there. So if there is - please direct me to it and I will read up= .. I will keep searching in the mean time... Many thanks! Tommy Noble On 2013-04-03 21:34:13 +0000, tommynoble@gmail.com said: > Is there some way to have OPCOM (or some other process) send > notifications to an email address or a pager/mobile phone when there > are outstanding operator requests? > > This is as opposed to having a...

What is the best book/way to teach my 12 year old kid to program
I'm trying to spark some interest in my son to learn some programming. He love games and I thought If he could work toward trying to learn some programming to learn to build a games then he would enjoy it. Or at least give it a shot. Can anyone suggest what language to teach him as well as any good books to start him off on? Eric Eric wrote: > I'm trying to spark some interest in my son to learn some programming. > He love games and I thought If he could work toward trying to learn > some programming to learn to build a games then he would enjoy it. Or > at least give it ...

SSH Tunnels an Easy and Secure way to retrieve email from a LAN Mail Server
Hello, We have just release a new software to manage ssh Tunnel. SSH tunnels are very easy to set up to allow external worker to get encrypt access (VPN) to a LAN. Please visit our web site for more information about ssh tunnels. http://www.ssheasytunnel.com SSH Tunnel is the most reliable way to build A Virtual Private Network. SSH Tunnel works with a SSH server and allows to access resources within a Local Area Network from the outside. SSH Easy Tunnel uses plink software (a part of putty) to build up an encrypted tunnel. We decided to use plink for its reliability and because it is probably the most used software in the world to make SSH connection under windows environment. But SSH Easy Tunnel is not only a Graphic User Interface for plink, it also bring new functionalities such as: - Automatically launching an application when the connection is established: i.e. Outlook - Reask password after a certain amount of time - Packageable: installation package with already configured connections can be build easily - Easily configurable - Minizing ressource while working on system tray - Possibility to use SSH Easy Tunnel for managing also SSH terminal access - Choice of Icon to represent each connection - User Friendly ...

Its a new year, yet same old, same old...
As we kick off yet another year of IBM's 'marketing' and empty promises to the IIUG, lets take a look at how the world perceives IBM... Here's an excerpt from El Reg: -=- Last week, IBM announced a marketing program aimed at helping its business partners get their feet into more doors among midrange shops to push the portfolio of IBM software. The Business Partner Software Mid-Market Value Initiative Program is available to qualified partners who peddle IBM's Lotus groupware, DB2 and related database management, Tivoli systems management, Rational application development, and WebSphere middleware software. The idea behind the program, says Cromwell-Mackey, is to reduce the sales cycle for software sales and pump up the transaction volume. The marketing program was piloted in the second half of 2008, and it worked well enough that IBM is now rolling it out in a dozen US cities, which Cromwell-Mackey says represents a big piece of the midrange sales opportunity. Those cities include Atlanta, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Baltimore, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Denver, Portland, Chicago and St Louis. As the BP software program gets some traction, it is likely that IBM will roll it out in other geographies, since midrange shops pepper the globe. (By some metrics, there is a higher concentration of midrange customers in Europe and Asia.) -=- First off, SMB markets for IBM are horrible. From a price point perspective, they'd ...

email sent through a hosted email server
Hi All, I have a problem that I cannot find a solution to. We have installed a local REDHAT Linux machine and configured sendmail on it. We have a third party that hosts our email service. When I try to send an email from REDHAT our email server will reject it do to an invalid domain. I do not have access to change the hosts file on the mail server so my question is. Is there a way to change the REDHAT machine to send emails so that it thinks it is sending them with our domain name on it. Right now they get sent through as REDHAT.<dsn> I want the emails to be sent as <dsn> only....

Mail deletes old e-mails
I have tried all the fixes, checked all the settings, deleted preferences, deleted rules, etc. etc., but my Mail (OS 10.4) continually dletes e-mails older than 30 days. Any ideas? I have an old iMac, and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall Dennis Dennis Pemberton <pem@nospamharperkynes.com> wrote: > I have tried all the fixes, checked all the settings, deleted > preferences, deleted rules, etc. etc., but my Mail (OS 10.4) > continually dletes e-mails older than 30 days. Any ideas? I have an > old iMac, and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall Is that...

mail() returns false but mail is sent
I'm doing a bit of work for a guy and on his system the mail() function always returns false, but the mail is sent. Anyone come across this? Any ideas what is causing it and how to fix it? -- Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email) It's only Usenet, no one dies. My opinions, not the committee's, mine. Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/ Geoff Berrow wrote: > I'm doing a bit of work for a guy and on his system the mail() function > always returns false, but the mail is sent. > > Anyone come across this? Any ideas what is causing it and how to fix > i...

By Using SMTP protocol, how can I read incoming E-mail and delete old emails.
By Using SMTP protocol, how can I read incoming E-mail and delete old emails. It is a part of my application. My system will email me about any warning message or Alarm and I reply them. I want to automatically read the reply message and decide what to do such as ignore warning, turn of the Alarm or restart the system &nbsp; I appreciate your help and contributions in NI Discussion forums &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; Thank you, &nbsp; Amit Amit, The SMTP functionality of the VIs in LabVIEW are limited to sending VIs. LabVIEW has no built in email client. You'd ...

Why do i get an error 66 when i sent a mail use SMTP Email Send File.vi?

A Google/Linux OS on the way ? Poor old Microsoft "7" years too late!
I wouldn't want to be a chair in Redmond these days! begin{quote} Last week, Matthäus Krzykowski and Daniel Hartmann of VentureBeat loaded Android onto an Eee PC 10000H netbook. According to their write-up, it took no more than about four hours to compile Android for the Eee and get it up and running. This wasn't just a proof of concept install. Once running, Android was able to use the onboard graphics, sound, and wireless capabilities of the device. This installation success is helping fuel speculation about the future of Android and other possible Google operating sys...

Mail-Server re-location NOT completely done. Some old DNS entries seems to exist until now.
Some weeks ago my mail server was put onto another machine with a different IP. After a few days most of the eMail traffic was redirected successfully to the new mail server. However there are still some eMails which are directed to the old mail server (which is still running). Why ? Is there a way to re-inforce the DNS re-location? In other words: Is there a way to force a re-propagation of the Mail-Server DNS change information all over the world wide Mail server structure? Wolfgang In article <452790e4$0$32418$9b4e6d93@newsspool1.arcor-online.net>, Wolfgang Hercker <w.hercker@hotmail.com> wrote: >Some weeks ago my mail server was put onto another machine with a different IP. >After a few days most of the eMail traffic was redirected successfully >to the new mail server. > >However there are still some eMails which are directed to the old mail >server (which is still running). > >Why ? > >Is there a way to re-inforce the DNS re-location? In other words: >Is there a way to force a re-propagation of the Mail-Server DNS change >information all >over the world wide Mail server structure? Firstly it doesn't "propagation all over the world". The only propogation is between the DNS servers for the zone. The rest of the world queries these servers when they want a answer. Secondly, I don't know how you expect anyone to help you without providing details. * What was the name of the MX record? * W...

Deleted sent mail in Apple Mail application
My Apple Mail application has three trash folders. One marked Clara, my Isp. One marked Nildram my broadband supplier and one quaintly marked "On my Mac". My Clara trash folder is showing a message in it, that I can't read, delete or move. Whilst attempting to delete it, I seem to have deleted all of my sent mail going back about five years. Is it possible that the mail is still somewhere on the HD, and if so can anyone tell me where. I can find no trace of it in my Home Folder>library. In article <0001HW.BFA0C4710002EB31F0284550@news.claranews.com>, Pete...

POP3:Cannot distinguish between the Sent mail and Received mails
Hi,I am downloading the mails from a gmail account using POP3.I am specifying the folder name as "INBOX" but it is downloading allthe sent as well as received mails.Why is this happening?This is my program:Folder folder = store.getFolder("INBOX");folder.open(Folder.READ_WRITE);Message[] msg = folder.getMessages();Thanks.... Nikhil wrote:> Hi,> > I am downloading the mails from a gmail account using POP3.> I am specifying the folder name as "INBOX" but it is downloading all> the sent as well as received mails.> Why is this happening?> This is m...

Hardware Board Design and Firmware Design Engineers Mail Your resumes at arti.bhatia@embeddedcareers.com.Experience 2 to 5 years. Location Chennai.
JDs 1. Hardware Board design: Experience in high speed multi-layer board design, bring-up and testing, Strong Knowledge in fundamental electronics, hands on experience in product level testing and EMS- Coordination. Digital and analog signal integrity experience preferred. 2. Firmware Design: Strong knowledge in high level C programming is a must. Linux BSP / Device Driver development is mandatory. Good exp. in ARM/PPC/MIPS processors Please Send In your resumes for above 2 positions at arti.bhatia@embeddedcareers.com. Other Categories we are looking for: Hardware engineers, RF engineers, ...

Mail not being sent to alternate mail exchanger servers
I have a little bit of an issue here, wondering if anyone can help. I have a new sendmail server running 8.13 on RHES 3. I am noticing if email intended for a mx server is down, sendmail doesn't try the other mx servers for the domain. For example, currently mx4.hotmail.com is down. But every email queued in the mqueue still tries to send to mx4.hotmail.com and not mx3, mx2,mx1. Is there a setting I am missing? Thanks for the help. Chad ...

Web resources about - Is there a way to locate old emails I sent years ago? - comp.mail.misc

LOCATED DECEASED :( - Locate The Missing - Facebook
SAD UPDATE :( REST IN PEACE CARRIE :( Body of missing Davenport woman found in Minnesota: More than three months after her family reported her ...

ThereThere - Smart group locator to easily locate family, friends, drivers, caregivers & more with automatic ...
Get ThereThere - Smart group locator to easily locate family, friends, drivers, caregivers & more with automatic location alerts. on the App ...

OwnStar - hacking cars with OnStar to locate, unlock and remote start vehicles - YouTube
OwnStar is a device that can locate, unlock and remote start any vehicle with OnStar RemoteLink after intercepting communication between the ...

Turkey locates bodies of pilots of downed jet
Bodies of both pilots of an F-4 jet shot down by Syria last month have been found and are being retrieved.

Marijuana traffickers used infrared cameras to locate and 'steal' crops from grow houses
In a twist to the lucrative criminal growth industry of indoor marijuana crops, two men have admitted using heat-detection cameras to locate ...

Police seek help to locate missing teenager girl
Police are appealing for public assistance to help find a Melbourne teenager missing for almost two weeks.

Stephanie Scott search: Police locate body of a female in a national park north of Griffith
POLICE searching for the remains of school teacher Stephanie Scott have found a body in a national park north of Griffith.

Vic police locate missing motorist, 81 - HeraldSun Search Search
AN 81-year-old woman missing for two days in northern Victoria has been found safe and well.

Police trying to locate victims
POLICE are searching for two men believed to have been the victims of an assault in Darwin city centre.

Singapore navy locates AirAsia fuselage
Singapore's Navy has reportedly found the fuselage of the AirAsia plane that crashed into the sea.