Is there a way to locate old emails I sent years ago?

I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
newsgroup posts.

Thanks for any info.

0
spudboy2 (1)
6/5/2005 8:59:33 PM
comp.mail.misc 4508 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[PageSpeed] 7/29/2015 8:51:52 PM
This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004

Bruce writes:

> I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
> try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
> way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
> anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
> can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
> able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
> newsgroup posts.

If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.

But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
of luck.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004--
0
Sam
6/5/2005 9:46:03 PM

> If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
> that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
> and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.
>
> But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
> of luck.

It was an old computer that i don't have anymore, was hoping somehow on
the web it could be done still.

0
Bruce
6/5/2005 10:59:37 PM
On 5 Jun 2005 15:59:37 -0700, Bruce wrote:

>> If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
>> that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
>> and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.
>>
>> But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
>> of luck.
>
> It was an old computer that i don't have anymore, was hoping somehow on
> the web it could be done still.

The web is not magic. Unless you put something on the web, it won't be
there to pull it back. AOL is not the web. I don't know how they run their
mail servers. If you removed the messages from their servers when you
downloaded to your computer, they would be gone from those servers. They
may have some policy based on size, or time, but I have no idea. Nor what
you did when you stored the messages locally.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Bruce wrote:

B> I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
B> try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
B> way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
B> anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
B> can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
B> able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
B> newsgroup posts.

Surely looking for a 5 year old email is not the only path.  Google his
name, his email address, his dog's name ....

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
  There is also a password autoresponder but, unless this a very
  old message, a "tuna" will swim right through. )

0
Alan

there has to be a better way, or we are stuffed!
Company I work for has a SAN of about 50 TB. It is configured as 4 logical disks. So when there is a failure, that logical disk is out of action while the RAID rebuilds itself. "Hot swapping" doesn't help much when 1/4 of the system is paralysed for hours afterwards. It seems about once a month that one hard drive shits itself, and has to be replaced, triggering the fiasco again. Then system engineer says it would be good idea to run complete diagnostics. That means taking all offline for 172800 seconds = gazillions of dollars lost. On May 23, 6:55 pm, efff...@f-m....

Comcast email policy
I asked Comcast about their email policies. Their response: "There is a maximum number of recipients that you can have in the To:, Cc:, and Bcc: fields, a maximum number of times you can click Send per minute, and a maximum amount of messages you can send at one time. Once our mail server detects that multiple addresses in your To: field do not exist, the e-mail will not be sent to any other recipients. Due to security concerns, we cannot reveal the actual limitations." While I can understand their reluctance to reveal this information, it puts legitimate customers i...

By Using SMTP protocol, how can I read incoming E-mail and delete old emails.
By Using SMTP protocol, how can I read incoming E-mail and delete old emails. It is a part of my application. My system will email me about any warning message or Alarm and I reply them. I want to automatically read the reply message and decide what to do such as ignore warning, turn of the Alarm or restart the system   I appreciate your help and contributions in NI Discussion forums       Thank you,   Amit Amit, The SMTP functionality of the VIs in LabVIEW are limited to sending VIs. LabVIEW has no built in email client. You'd ...

Best way to convert html to plain text in java?
Hello, I have a java servlet that processes plain text. I'd like to point to a specific url and pull over a webpage, then convert it to plain text for further processing. I have written some code that simply strips tags from the html, but this only does an OK job as it fails on poorly written html and javascript (to name a few). Are there any java APIs that would perform a better conversion? I've looked into JEditorPane and HTMLEditorKit, but haven't had any luck in getting these to perform the conversion. Thanks for any help! On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 08:20:01 +0100, <google@lrla...

Re: Suprtool problem w/2-char year and $stddate
Jay, It might be easier to just: IF DATE-2 = DATE-4(1,3,2) or DEF DATE-4-YY,DATE-4[3],2 IF DATE-2=DATE-4-YY HTH, Ray Shahan > -----Original Message----- > From: HP-3000 Systems Discussion [SMTP:HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU] On Behalf Of Jay Willis > Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 9:09 AM > To: HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU > Subject: [HP3000-L] Suprtool problem w/2-char year and $stddate > > I'd appreciate it if any Suprtool users would help me with a little problem > I'm having. We're using the 4.6.01 version of ...

Re: the best way to drop vars #5
Igor: The best way to drop (or keep) variables in SAS datasets is to stream them thru a SAS SQL view: proc sql; create view testVW as select var1,var2,var3,var4,var5,var6,var7,var8,var9,var10 from source ; quit; data test; set testVW; run; The SELECT list shows precisely the variables that you are streaming into a Data step. Further, you have the option to transform the variable values or rename the variables in the view, t0 subset rows in a dataset using a WHERE clause, and to combine data from more than one source. Sig -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:...

is there a way?
Is there any practical way to host multiple web sites when: 1) I have a single domain, 2) I have a dynamic IP assigned by RoadRunner, 3) I use ZoneEdit to WebForward because RR blocks 80 (DynSite keeps the IP updated), 4) I have W2K ISA as a proxy/firewall, 5) The web site(s) is(are) on W2K server (IIS 5.x, so I could create multiple sites based upon the header ... if there's some way to maintain uniqueness thru ZoneEdit)? "Stan" <sberry1.x@houston.rr.com> wrote in message news:NXUNc.59322$qa2.22581@fe2.texas.rr.com... > Is there any practical way to host multiple we...

Reasonable way to get graphics in a .pdf w/ long filenames?
in Mac OS X. I've been experimenting w/ this in PhotoShop CS and the best technique I've worked up thus far is to: - open all the files I want included - use the Contact Sheet II feature to make a file for each graphic w/ includes the filename (but it uses a strangely mid-numbered name if it's longer than 32 characters) - close every file except for the contact sheets - use the presentation creation feature to make a .pdf of all the open files Problems are the afore-mentioned mangling of long than 32 char filenames, and an utter inability to control the order in which the fi...

Can't locate object method "connect" via package "DBI"
Hi, I have DBI 1.45, Apache 2.052 Win32, mod_perl 1.99_17, Perl 5.84. I am very sure that @INC contains the right path, and simple DBI stuff can run on the command-line. Any comments are highly appreciated. #error.log [error] Can't locate object method "bootstrap" via package "DBI" at F:/Net/Perl/site/lib/DBI.pm line 249. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at F:/Net/Perl/site/lib/DBI.pm line 256. Compilation failed in require at (eval 7) line 8. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 7) line 8. #!F:/Net/Perl/bin/Perl.exe ## ## Perl eg use strict...

Will IM replace email?
Hi, I read an interesting poll question in www.techieindex.com "will Instant message replace email?" . Also there is relevant articles and news. What do you think? regards, scottevans@eudoramail.com (Scott) wrote in message news:<6fa2d4de.0310161850.1bac3ca9@posting.google.com>... > Hi, > > I read an interesting poll question in www.techieindex.com "will > Instant message replace email?" . Also there is relevant articles and > news. What do you think? > > regards, IM will not replace email. It will replace speech. > > Hi, > > &g...

Is there any way to vectorize this code...
Hi Can anyone help me in vectorizing this code.... M & N are the boundaries..... for theta = 0:pi/180:2*pi; x = cent_x + radius*sin(theta); y = cent_y - radius*cos(theta); if round(x) < N && round(x) > 1 && round(y) < M && round(y)>1 temp(round(x),round(y)) = 1; end end Thanks sbm wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone help me in vectorizing this code.... .... > if round(x) < N && round(x) > 1 && round(y) < M && round(y)>1 > temp(round(...

Easiest way to read a XML doc from file, reformat it and write it indented to a second file?
Assume I have a XML docuemnt in file mydoc123.xml The XML doc is textually formatted as one long line/string without line breaks. Now I want to read this XML doc file into Java, then reformat it so that the hierarchy levels are indented in a human radble format "as usual". Finally the result should be written to another text file result.xml How can I do this most easily (preferable without third party libraries but only J2SE built-in functions)? Ray Raymond Schanks wrote: > Now I want to read this XML doc file into Java, then reformat it so > tha...

better way to do this in python
I have a file like this, cat file aaa bbb aaa aaa aaa awk '{x[$1]++}END { for (i in x) {print i,x[i]} } ' test bbb 1 aaa 4 I suppose I can do something like this. (pseudocode) d={} try: d[key]+=1 except KeyError: d[key]=1 I was wondering if there is a pythonic way of doing this? I plan on doing this many times for various files. Would the python collections class be sufficient? ...

The easiest way to get free cash! #2
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi all,</P> <P>I became a member of an interesting free website that is totally unique. It actually rewards its members for learning! You can learn lots of important things and earn rewards taking fun quizzes, plus earn cash for other activities! Membership is free, and people of all ages and educational backgrounds everywhere can become members and participate at their own level. It�s ca...

a neat way of doing it?
Hi, I have monthly data of employee IDs . Column1 Ids for january 1985, Column2 Ids for February 1985 ...column 320 Ids for december 2004. Is their a neat way (instead of writing a whole program) of finding which employees are always in the sample for 2 consecutive years. In other words, for any consecutive 24 columns is their a function that would enable me to find the Ids that were always in each column? best Tamra intersect(). e.g. tmp=intersect(mtx(:,1),mtx(:,2)); for i=2:numCols, tmp=intersect(tmp,mtx(:,i)); end; ans=tmp; There is probably an easy way to vectorize this but this shou...

Disabling reception of copies of my own messages sent to ruby-talk
Hi How can I tell ruby-talk to not send me copies of the messages I send to it= ? Regards, Alder Green Hi, In message "Re: Disabling reception of copies of my own messages sent to ruby-talk" on Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:53:29 +0900, "Alder Green" <alder.green@gmail.com> writes: |How can I tell ruby-talk to not send me copies of the messages I send to it? No. It's distributed to all list recipients right after its arrival to the list server. If you have any problematic contents, all we can do is removing the mail from the list archive. matz. Yuki...

Is there any way to create an object using templated constructor without parameters with concrete type of template paramter of constructor?
Hello there, subject of a message contains quite completed question but there is an example: I have a class with such templated constructor: class A{ template<typename T> A(const T &t){ //copy data from t } } if I want to create an instance of object A from 'empty' object B I'll write A a(B()); this code contains one "unnecessary" creation of temporary object B and copying from it into A to optimize it I've added another templated constructor into A: class A{ template<typename T> A(){ ...

What is the best way to rotate a JPG?
I've got several JPGs that I want to rotate 90 degrees. I believe that every time you save a JPG, there is some loss in quality, so would the best way to ensure the least amount of loss in quality be to set the JPG compression factor to 1 (lowest compression) when I save my rotated JPGs? Or is there a way to not lose any quality at all? In PSP8, 90 degree rotation is lossless. Open your PSP8 thumbnail browser, click once on one or more thumbnails, then right click. One of the options on the context menu is "JPG lossless rotation" <void@no.spam.com> wrote in message news...

Possible to rescue an old 745i/100?
I've recently signed on with a callcenter in the IT department. I've been slowly garnering knowledge about the particular hardware we use here (in this particular case, a Mosaix dialer with an HP B2600 at its core). However, we also have an older model, with a pair of 745i/100 Industrial Workstations that had been used in it. I am trying to get either one of these old machines to boot- one of them (the one that I can actually get anything on the video card) boots to the system console, with the 8 yellow fkey-blocks onscreen- however, it doesn't go further (i.e. there is no ...

PALMSOURCE to go the Linux way
Mobile Africa - Accra,Ghana PalmSource, the company behind the popular Palm platform on many handheld devices has announced its intention to migrate from the Palm platform, to Linux. ... <http://www.mobileafrica.net/news-africa.php?id=485> -- http://www.euronet.nl/users/frankvw/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html ...

old monitor starts flickering
dear *, I have a 7 year pld monitor, Tatung IntelliScan TM6513, which occasionally starts flickering, then looks normal again. The video quality is still quite good, but I suspect that some other component may be about to break down. Does anyone have a suggestion for repair? -- jjg PS I live in Germany, near Cleve. ...

[News] [Old] Microsoft's History of Vote-Rigging Against GNU/Linux, Java

Email secure delivery
I am currently searching for the best application or service to provide end to end security for delivering encrypted emails from one company to another accross the Internet. I need the solutions to provide Smime, PGP, TLS, SSL, etc. My goal is to some how have the app or user decide if the email needs to be encrypted, then apply a cert which can be maintained. The email then sent to the recpt. who then decryptes the message using either of these options. I hope that the gateway can negotiation which type to use with the other gateway/exchange server. If the negotiation fails then just send a...

Best way to create dynamic update statement
In general, What is the best approach in creating a dynamic update stored procedure, that can handle recieving varying input paramters and update the approporiate columns. Depends on the requirements but one possibility is to use NULL parameters to represent values that shouldn't be changed: UPDATE YourTable SET col1 = COALESCE(@col1, col1), col2 = COALESCE(@col2, col2), col3 = COALESCE(@col3, col3) ... etc WHERE ... -- David Portas SQL Server MVP -- >> In general, What is the best approach in creating a dynamic update stored procedure, << In general, building d...

Looking for a better way
Hi I am new to TCL of course, and I have come up with the following piece of code on my own. I would like to know what the experts would do to make this better. I have 3 buttons on a GUI that start, stop and restart my server. I have a procedure defined for each button, it seems a bit overkill and I am sure there is an easier way. Perhaps group the start/stop/restart all together .I will list one of the 3 procs here since they are almost identical. set server "/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd" proc_start {} { global server set start [list exec $server start] eval $start & #Call...