Is there a way to locate old emails I sent years ago?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
newsgroup posts.

Thanks for any info.

0
Reply spudboy2 (1) 6/5/2005 8:59:33 PM

See related articles to this posting

This is a MIME GnuPG-signed message.  If you see this text, it means that
your E-mail or Usenet software does not support MIME signed messages.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004

Bruce writes:

> I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
> try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
> way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
> anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
> can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
> able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
> newsgroup posts.

If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.

But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
of luck.

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004

--=_mimegpg-commodore.email-scan.com-25577-1118007964-0004--
0
Reply Sam 6/5/2005 9:46:03 PM

> If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
> that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
> and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.
>
> But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
> of luck.

It was an old computer that i don't have anymore, was hoping somehow on
the web it could be done still.

0
Reply Bruce 6/5/2005 10:59:37 PM

On 5 Jun 2005 15:59:37 -0700, Bruce wrote:

>> If you delete something by mistake right now, there are tools or services
>> that might help you to recover that data, provided that you pulled the plug
>> and immediately shut everything down, without doing anything more.
>>
>> But, unless your system's been gathering dust for the five years, you're out
>> of luck.
>
> It was an old computer that i don't have anymore, was hoping somehow on
> the web it could be done still.

The web is not magic. Unless you put something on the web, it won't be
there to pull it back. AOL is not the web. I don't know how they run their
mail servers. If you removed the messages from their servers when you
downloaded to your computer, they would be gone from those servers. They
may have some policy based on size, or time, but I have no idea. Nor what
you did when you stored the messages locally.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Bruce wrote:

B> I have the same aol account I've had for 8 years or so, and wanted to
B> try to locate someone I used to email about 5 years back, is there any
B> way to find this information, AOL was no help, it's not on my HD
B> anymore. I didn't know if maybe one of the many companies they say they
B> can find this and that info (background check, isp finder ect) might be
B> able to do this as well. I know with google you can pull up old
B> newsgroup posts.

Surely looking for a 5 year old email is not the only path.  Google his
name, his email address, his dog's name ....

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
  There is also a password autoresponder but, unless this a very
  old message, a "tuna" will swim right through. )

0
Reply Alan 6/6/2005 10:48:22 PM
comp.mail.misc 4494 articles. 8 followers. Post

[PageSpeed] 11/22/2014 12:03:19 AM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Way to "break" the connection? So that moving an email out of sent to a folder, we can then delete the remaining copy in sent?
One behaviour that I'd forgotten about in LN and that drives me nuts is the very thing which I'm sure many people find it excellent for - the way emails are interconnected. And for the most part, I also like this feature. But where I don't is in how I've developed a system over the years in Outlook that I can't use here. My preference is to keep my sent folder completely empty. Once I send a msg, in Outlook I then move it out of sent into the inbox or file. A big annoyance, _for_me_, is that sure I can move the emails but it leaves behind a copy in the sent...

Way to "break" the connection? So that moving an email out of sent to a folder, we can then delete the remaining copy in sent?
One behaviour that I'd forgotten about in LN and that drives me nuts is the very thing which I'm sure many people find it excellent for - the way emails are interconnected. And for the most part, I also like this feature. But where I don't is in how I've developed a system over the years in Outlook that I can't use here. My preference is to keep my sent folder completely empty. Once I send a msg, in Outlook I then move it out of sent into the inbox or file. A big annoyance, _for_me_, is that sure I can move the emails but it leaves behind a copy in the sent...

Fastest way to resurrect nine year-old applet?
Back in '98 I had someone port my C app to a Java applet, then got no further. I am now rewriting the app in Lisp, but a customer from back in the 90s says her students need something now. (It is Algebra software, link in sig.)I am actually scrounging around to see if I can find an old DOS version, it might just work on their XP machines. As a backup (and because it might help with marketing to get this thing going on a web site promoting the new software) I'd like to see if I can fire up that old applet. I do remember seeing it working when I paid the fellow.What's the best way fo...

80 year old communist says on his way home from the pub
The great pride... Its all just a great bullshit!!!. USS! Hey USS! I am your greatest enemy. ...

Is there a way to get OPCOM requests sent to an email address or pager
Hi folks! Is there some way to have OPCOM (or some other process) send notifications = to an email address or a pager/mobile phone when there are outstanding oper= ator requests? This is as opposed to having an operator sitting at a console (or checking = it from time to time) to find those requests, but instead for the system to= more proactively send such notifications to someone who can address them. I have only ever been motivated enough to use DCL to scan down the current = OPERATOR.LOG file to detect open OPCOM requests requiring intervention. Th= is takes longer and lon...

Queen Elizabeth's Email Thirty Years Ago
Queen Elizabeth sent first e-mail in 1976 Mon Apr 10, 6:50 AM ET Queen Elizabeth sent her first e-mail as long as 30 years ago, according to a list of 80 facts about the monarch released by Buckingham Palace to mark her 80th birthday on April 21. No details of the e-mail were included, except that it was sent from a British army base in 1976. The 40th monarch since William the Conqueror, she has undertaken over 256 official visits overseas during her 54-year reign and has received some bizarre gifts, the list revealed. They included jaguars and sloths from Brazil, two black b...

What is the best book/way to teach my 12 year old kid to program
I'm trying to spark some interest in my son to learn some programming. He love games and I thought If he could work toward trying to learn some programming to learn to build a games then he would enjoy it. Or at least give it a shot. Can anyone suggest what language to teach him as well as any good books to start him off on? Eric Eric wrote: > I'm trying to spark some interest in my son to learn some programming. > He love games and I thought If he could work toward trying to learn > some programming to learn to build a games then he would enjoy it. Or > at least give it ...

A Google/Linux OS on the way ? Poor old Microsoft "7" years too late!
I wouldn't want to be a chair in Redmond these days! begin{quote} Last week, Matthäus Krzykowski and Daniel Hartmann of VentureBeat loaded Android onto an Eee PC 10000H netbook. According to their write-up, it took no more than about four hours to compile Android for the Eee and get it up and running. This wasn't just a proof of concept install. Once running, Android was able to use the onboard graphics, sound, and wireless capabilities of the device. This installation success is helping fuel speculation about the future of Android and other possible Google operating sys...

Google Awarded Location Patent Filed Six Years Ago For Use In "Ad System"
Google Awarded Location Patent Filed Six Years Ago For Use In "Ad System" by Justi Mar 1, 2010 Google is obviously serious about mobile advertising, and is filing patents left and right with one common theme- location. We reported a while back that Google had developed a process - and filed a patent - for "sniffing" data packets sent and received by users utilizing location-based services in an attempt to come as close as possible to having what the carriers have- true user location data at all times for its subscribers. Last Tuesday, Google was awa...

[Uniface-L] New Year, New Business plan. Email is Still the best way to target your prospects, NEVER buy a
An affordable tool for getting Targeted leads for your business? This is the best place to start NEVER buy another lead again GUARANTEED You won�t believe what it does for the price!!!! http://budurl.com/logonp Bonus: Great Zip Sender E-mailer ($49) for just taking a look ...

Programming for 14 year old (was Programming for 13 year old)
About a year ago I posted a question about how to go about teaching programming to my 13 year old nephew. Well, we have been at it off and on for about a year averaging sessions of maybe twice a month and now he is 14 years old. We started with HTML which worked out well in that it got him creating code fast. We used the Werbach barebones guide to HTML ( http://werbach.com/barebones/download.html ) as a reference. Then we progressed to Javascript which was good in that it was an easy transition although its going a bit slowly. I found some reference material on the net but ultimately go...

Efficient query for this year/last year/two years ago
Greetings, everyone. I'm hoping someone has a moment to assist me in finding an efficient solution to deliver a table that contains ytd, qtd, mtd and wtd sales for this year, the corresponding period the year before, and the corresponding period the year before that, at the weekly grain, using a weekly sales table and dates table as sources. Assume this table for our dates create table fiscal_weeks ( fiscal_year_week number PRIMARY KEY, fiscal_year number, fiscal_month number, fiscal_year_week_LY number ); Assume this sales table: create table sales_by_week ( ...

Sendmail Exception reached when thousands emails sent in bulk mail script. Has sendmail a email-sent limit for a given process?
Hello, I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 Thanks in advance! enicolas.riquelme@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I have explained here my issue: http://serverfault.com/questions/484812/sendmail-exception-reached-when-thousands-emails-sent-in-bulk-mail-script-has-s/484814?noredirect=1#comment540576_484814 > > Thanks in advance! > It would be more convenient for (future) readers of (an archive of) this newsg...

Creepy 27-year old employee at Google (a Linux company) breaks into children's accounts, harasses 15-year old
"Barksdale met the kids through a technology group in the Seattle area while working as a Site Reliability Engineer at Google's Kirkland, Wash. office." "...15-year old boy who he befriended..." "...taunted the boy, threatened to call his girlfriend..." "...inviting underage kids to attend movies with him..." http://gawker.com/5637234/gcreep-google-engineer-stalked-teens-spied-on-chats?skyline=true&s=i Bearded sexual deviant hacker? 100 to 1 he's a Linux advocate, and he met the kids at a LUG. On Wed, 15 Sep 20...

email sent through a hosted email server
Hi All, I have a problem that I cannot find a solution to. We have installed a local REDHAT Linux machine and configured sendmail on it. We have a third party that hosts our email service. When I try to send an email from REDHAT our email server will reject it do to an invalid domain. I do not have access to change the hosts file on the mail server so my question is. Is there a way to change the REDHAT machine to send emails so that it thinks it is sending them with our domain name on it. Right now they get sent through as REDHAT.<dsn> I want the emails to be sent as <dsn> only....

Its a new year, yet same old, same old...
As we kick off yet another year of IBM's 'marketing' and empty promises to the IIUG, lets take a look at how the world perceives IBM... Here's an excerpt from El Reg: -=- Last week, IBM announced a marketing program aimed at helping its business partners get their feet into more doors among midrange shops to push the portfolio of IBM software. The Business Partner Software Mid-Market Value Initiative Program is available to qualified partners who peddle IBM's Lotus groupware, DB2 and related database management, Tivoli systems management, Rational application ...

7 years on anyone from all those years ago remember when?
heres a brief rundown of the events In the very early days MIMO_545 was busy reading and sometimes writing observations all bout the effects and new creative potential of the mediu,, and there were lots of busy babies in Asia and India who have done so very well and loads to complete complex engineering feites that the West had only anticipated or thoughts about. Then all of a sudden 1. I typed my bank card details and put a self signed photo online 2. I had to present a detailed ID which happened to be a 6 foot tall size 8 blonde (hey guys I'm in another sphgere or vehicle ...

Have it your way with Linux slopware: email and freezes, or no email and no freezes
"Today, I can't check my yahoo mail without Jaunty freezing. I also agree that something happened a month or two ago and it seems to be getting worse. This is a great distro but this issue is making it almost unusable." #598 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1135055&highlight=freeze&page=60 Linux is stable Linux is reliable On Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:49:27 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Today, I can't check my yahoo mail without Jaunty freezing. I also > agree that something happened a month or two ago and it seems to be > getting worse. This is a ...

Three Year Old Laptop
Here is yet another failure for Windows 7. Here's the Readers' Digest version of whats going on. The Win7 drivers aren't fully compatible with the Wireless 802.11. So it works fine without any encryption but the instant I secure the network - "Windows 7 was unable to connect to the network." I installed Ubuntu on the machine - worked like a champ - WPA2 personal and all. So, how about if one of you Microsoft trolls explain how this is actually a design feature or is somehow my fault. Remember I have 10+ years of IT experience I know how to solve driver proble...

eudora not downloading email
I'm trying to help a friend go online, but I cannot get it to work. His computer is one he got from People PC. It is running windows ME. I don't know what his old email program was. He doesn't know anything about computers, and I'm not sure if he even used the email before. He signed up for a new ISP (local one, same as mine). I installed Eudora on his computer. When I try to download email, it comes up with a window that says "Another program is dialing the selected connection" I believe that it is connecting okay, but Eudora cannot seem to access ...

what were you doing 5 years ago?
A friend asked today what I was doing 5 years ago - I said I didn't remember I'd have to check my calendar. He then reminded me it was probably related to Y2K. He was right, I was hoping that changes made to the Exxon Bay Town Refinery Maintenance Management system had all been done correctly... (they must have, the plant never blew up). Since no one else has posted one yet, Happy New Year everyone. P.S. Just a gentle reminder to all those management types that haven't started migration projects yet (and you all know who you are and some of us know who you are too) 12-3...

what were you doing 5 years ago?
5 years ago... Partying solo in my home office, watching CNN celebrate the new year country by country & sleeping on the couch w/pager as to not wake the family. I was working at HP's WTEC support organization watching the non-event roll forward in time and not a single Y2K call came in for 3000 systems that day. Happy 2005 everyone! Regards, James Hofmeister Email: <first>.<last>@hp.com Hewlett Packard - Global Solutions Engineering (WTEC) P.S. My Ideals are my own, not necessarily my employers. To: <HP3000-L@RAVEN.UTC.EDU> Sent: Friday, Dece...

Can an eight-year-old game be Wargame Of The Year?
I realize that I'm sitting on a virtual mother-lode of wargaming goodness here, but as things settle out over the intervening weeks, myself and my gaming buddies are finding that TOAW3 is getting the lion's share of personal gameplay. Human-to-human, the equation changes; there we're concentrating heavily on COTA and migrating into the big, monstery scenarios. Overall, I'm not sure COTA has any competition - except BOA - for Wargame Of The Year 2006 in the Giftzwerg household... ....but just the fact that I'm hearing so many people I know and respect ...

after an image is moved to a new location, how to delete the image at the old location?
Hi everyone, As shown in the code below (modified based on the Image.py in wxpython demo), an image is created at location 1: (50,10) with rotated angle 1.12. Now, suppose I got another set of new data, I want to move the image to location 2: (166,400) with rotated angle 1.5. case 1: if I use "wx.StaticBitmap(panel, -1, bmp2, (166, 400), (bmp2.GetWidth(), bmp2.GetHeight()))", everything is fine but I don't know how to delete the image at location 1. case 2: If I use "kk.SetBitmap(bmp2)" (see the code below), the rotated image (angle...