new SMTP-STS standard being proposed

This is the draft:

  https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-margolis-smtp-sts-00

The claim is that this will force encryption in ways that SMTP has
failed.  That's a good thing, but the proposal comes from Google,
Microsoft, Yahoo, Comcast and LinkedIn.  None of these companies are
socially responsible, and four of them use e-mail tactics that violate
existing RFCs and work to block smaller providers.

I've not read it yet, but when I do I will be look for shenanigans
that make it difficult for small providers to run a mail server, or
for individuals to run a null-mailer (a self-serving server).

0
Nomen
3/28/2016 8:53:53 PM
comp.mail.misc 4531 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Open new mail with standard mail client
Hello everybody, i've got a little problme: i've got a java 1.5 application from where i want to start a new mail within the windows standard mail client and give body and subject to it. I know there is an implementation in java 1.6, but i need a solution in java 1.5. Does anybody has an idea for Java 1.5? Tanks and bye Beat ...

some new mails only appear in new mail folder after restart
Hi, after installing Pegasus 4.12, I have the problem, that Pegasus downloads the mails and tells me with the popupwindow repeatedly that I have new mails, but I cannot see all of them. They appear in the new mail folder after I restart pegasus. Can anyone help? Thanx "MO" <moDELETEmads@gDELETEmx.de> wrote: > after installing Pegasus 4.12, I have the problem, that > Pegasus downloads the mails and tells me with the popupwindow > repeatedly that I have new mails, but I cannot see all of them. > They appear in the new mail folder after I restar...

proposed new standard: JSON++
http://htmatters.net/htm/1/2005/07/evaling-JSON.cfm This is more or less in response to Mr Crockford's admonition a few months ago, "fork if you must". Ironically, although in that usenet post he calls what I am suggesting "brittle", his own Javascript JSON parser is not valid JSON, but rather conforms to my proposed variation on JSON!! With an identifier prepended to the front of the JSON block, and function literals as values: see http://www.crockford.com/JSON/json.js Out of deference to Mr Crockford's outstanding original idea, I propose this new standard be c...

Only show new mail tray icon on non-filtered new mail
Now that regulars have given me the answer to my only make a sound when non-filtered out messages land in my inbox (woohoo!) my next problem to tackle with Eudora 4.2.0.58 is the tray icons. Specifically, when new mail comes in, the little icon pops up in the tray to indicate as such. Is there a way to make that only come up if the new mail hasn't been filtered out (i.e. SPAM that gets trashed, etc.) I've tried several settings in the filters like specifying the Notify User option then clearing the checkboxes for everything, and choosing the Make Status option then picking Read. Any help much appreciated. -- Daniel In article <Uuhob.19$U2.8@news.randori.com>, a@b.com says... > Now that regulars have given me the answer to my only make a sound when > non-filtered out messages land in my inbox (woohoo!) my next problem to > tackle with Eudora 4.2.0.58 is the tray icons. Specifically, when new > mail comes in, the little icon pops up in the tray to indicate as such. > Is there a way to make that only come up if the new mail hasn't been > filtered out (i.e. SPAM that gets trashed, etc.) No -- Over and Out Daniel Jacobson Daniel Jacobson wrote: > In article <Uuhob.19$U2.8@news.randori.com>, a@b.com says... > > >>Now that regulars have given me the answer to my only make a sound when >>non-filtered out messages land in my inbox (woohoo!) my next pro...

Set-up new server for SMTP mail
Gidday, Can someone point me to an article that explains how I set-up a new Domino R6.5 server to send and recieve email. We currently have an R6.5 server in our head office, and have created a new server for our remote office. I have the 2 servers connected by the internet and can replicate databases. Now I want to allow the remote office to sent email directly from their server to the internet, and also to recieve email if our server is down. Secondary MX records have already been created on the internet. Both servers are on Windows 2003 server Thank you Wocka ...

Standard Proposal For New-Style Iterators
Is the Standard Proposal For New-Style Iterators as mentioned on Boost.Iterators (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_45_0/libs/iterator/ doc/new-iter-concepts.html) going to make it to the new standard or not? Where are formal documents regarding this issue? Adam Badura -- [ comp.std.c++ is moderated. To submit articles, try posting with your ] [ newsreader. If that fails, use mailto:std-cpp-submit@vandevoorde.com ] [ --- Please see the FAQ before posting. --- ] [ FAQ: http://www.comeaucomputing.com/csc/faq.html ] On 2011-02...

Rough proposal for new standard: Content Mediation.
I don't know if this is the right place to submit this or not, but I had a rough idea for a new web standard that would work closely with XML that I wanted to submit to the community for consideration. I posted a (very) rough draft to Google Pages for now, if someone wants to look at it, but the basic idea is to allow non-XML content to be embedded into XML and then converted to XML at parsetime. This would allow for a more natural expression of some data, such as allowing Notation 3 markup to be embedded within an XML document, rather than working directly with the XML RDF representation. If anyone is interested, the draft is posted to http://cgranade.googlepages.com/contentmediation Thanks for your attention and interest. --Christopher Granade Christopher Granade wrote: > I don't know if this is the right place to submit this or not, but I > had a rough idea for a new web standard that would work closely with > XML that I wanted to submit to the community for consideration. I > posted a (very) rough draft to Google Pages for now, if someone wants > to look at it, but the basic idea is to allow non-XML content to be > embedded into XML and then converted to XML at parsetime. Sure. 1) XML ain't no tool. It is a language ;) 2) Isn't this more specific, more general and invented already? http://www.brics.dk/xsugar/ Soren Soren Kuula wrote: > Christopher Granade wrote: > > I don't know if this is the right place to submit ...

No SMTP mail out or mail logs
I'm running lenny with exim4, fetchmail, and mutt. Procmail is not installed. Mail coming in from the POP mail server works, but mail out disappears. A probably related problem is that no mail.* logs are created, although they are set up in /etc/rsyslog.conf. My exim4 is probably configured correctly (I've used it for years). But just in case, this is what I have: choose mail sent by smarthost; received via fetchmail system mailname: teufel.historicalMaterialism.info other destinations: historicalMaterialism.info mailname of outgoing smarthost: mail.historicalmatrialism.info::527 etc. I'm connected via wifi card to an AP/router. It has address 192.168.1.1: $ netstat -nr Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irttIface 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1 This is my hosts file, which is a bit different than in the past, I used to have 127.0.0.1 <domainname> localhost.localdomain localhost, and I'm not sure this new arrangement is correct. $ cat /etc/hosts 127.0.0.1 localhost 127.0.1.1 teufel.historicalMaterialism.info teufel As for interfaces, my wifi card driver uses eth1 rather than wlan0. It is UP, but so is eth0, which has no CAT5 cable connected at this point. My machine IP on the local net is 192.168.1.5 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:09:5b:41:54:21 ...

Standards group scuttles Microsoft e-mail proposal
The Internet Engineering Task Force decides that the software giant's gift horse could be a Trojan horse. http://news.com.com/Standards+group+scuttles+Microsoft+e-mail+proposal/2100-1032_3-5364075.html?tag=alert ...

how do backup deliver to smtp server mail or copy all mail forward a mail account?
thanks! a wrote: ISP & MX > thanks! Anytime Wolfgang ...

Status of Cardinal (was Re: Proposal to create a new mailing list)
On 12/30/06, Gregory Seidman <gsslist+ruby@anthropohedron.net> wrote: > [deleted] Cardinal (Ruby on Parrot, which may or may not be dead) It's not dead, it's pining for the fjords. No, actually, Kevin Tew, the maintainer, has been bogged down with school related issues the last two months, but has told me that he's chomping at the bit to start chasing Cardinal again. You can track his progress at: http://http://cardinal2.rubyforge.org/ (The original cardinal project appears to be dead, and Kevin's had no luck raising the maintainer to get the project transferred...

New Mail Announcement for Junk Mail
How do I get Eudora to stop announcing new mail on the occasions when all the new mail is junk and it is automatically put in the junk mail? I have the box checked that says "Junk Mailbox is never marked unread" so I don't think I should be getting the announce. Also, the mail indicator appears at the bottom of the screen until I look at my new junk mail. Steven Jacobsohn wrote: >How do I get Eudora to stop announcing new mail on the occasions when all >the new mail is junk and it is automatically put in the junk mail? I have >the box checked that says "Junk Mailbox is never marked unread" so I don't >think I should be getting the announce. Also, the mail indicator appears at >the bottom of the screen until I look at my new junk mail. > > > > I think you have to UNcheck the stuff in getting attention and use filters to make a sound when good mail arrives, and set the junk filter to make no sound. Rick -- Editing is a rewording activity. Thanks Rick. You sent me in the right direction. Actually, I left the stuff checked in "getting attention" and then wrote two filters. One filter directs incoming mail with high junk scores (for me that's a score over 45) to do nothing. The other filter directs incoming mail with low junk scores (under 46) to "Notify User" "As Normal". Checking the "As Normal" box directs Eudora to use the ite...

[Proposal] lambda NEW PROPOSAL (short)

Mail redirect before new mail arrives problem
Dont know if this has anything to do with the fact that we are running Lotus Notes Domino 5.0.12 on Linux BUT I have a problem with mail redirection. I have created a agent in my mailfile (on server) - shared agent - runs 'before new mail arrives - simple action to send mail (including copy of document) to another user in the address book. This works fine on most of our servers but there are a couple of exceptions. Here is what happens when you watch the Domino console when a new email arrives for this user 06/26/2003 11:00:01 AM Router: The New Mail Agent in mail/sthor...

Outbound SMTP Mail to SMTP relay mailserver
Hello, We are running Domino 5.12 and need to send all of our outgoing internet mail through an SMTP relay mail server. The only problem is that the outbound relay mailserver requires both a username and a password before it will accept the outbound mail. For the life of me I cannot find a way to set up our Domino server that will provide a username and a password for this outbound SMTP relay mailserver. I have considered going through our Lotus Notes clients but there does not seem to be a way to designate outbound email to go through the external mailserver while inboun...

Javascript new-new-new-new-newbee

Hamburg Lispers: New mailing list, new date
The Hamburg (and Berlin) Lispers now have a real mailing list (as opposed to the old one which was just a .forward file on one of my machines at home) to which you can subscribe here: <http://common-lisp.net/mailman/listinfo/lisp-hh> We've also scheduled a new meeting for June 27 (venue to be announced, see mailing list). This time we'll have a couple of talks dealing with various aspects of object persistence and maybe we'll also have a Lisp machine to look at. Cheers, Edi. ...

Mail .Mac cannot send mail via smtp mac
I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found without any problem I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, what could be wrong ? thanks joss In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found > without any problem > > I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, > what could be wrong ? > > thanks > > joss Without more detail, it's only a guess...but perhaps your provider is blocking port 25. It's probably a good idea to switch to the "submission port" instead. I don't use Apple's Mail program for my .Mac account and don't know just now where to go there for setting this, but it's an automatic option I use with Eudora. You should also turn on the encryption settings for better security. = Steve = -- Steve W. Jackson Montgomery, Alabama On 2007-10-11 18:07:53 +0200, "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjackson@knology.net> said: > In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, > Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > >> I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found >> without any problem >> >> I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, >> what could be wrong ? >> >...

[9fans] Creating new mail users; mail -c
This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156) --Apple-Mail-1-1012514217 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit On my system, /mail/box is mode 775. This matches what's on sources. So... how is the mail -c call in newuser supposed to work for normal (ie: not in group sys) users? --Apple-Mail-1-1012514217 content-type: application/pgp-signature; x-mac-type=70674453; name=PGP.sig content-description: This is a digitally signed message part content-disposition: inline; filename=PGP.sig content-tra...

[9fans] new mail in acme Mail, only the last highlighted
Hello 9fans, I've been using Mail program for acme to read my Google mail via imaps. When a new e-mail arrives, Mail highlighs the row (it is selected). However, at least for me, only the last e-mail is highlighted, even when more than one e-mail have come. Is it only my problem? Has anyone changed the behaviour so that all unread e-mails stay highlighted? Thanks for coments! Ruda ...

why: 'You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root' ?
This annoying message seems to be associated with the times when <cr> won't run mc-selected executables. The error mesg. is in that case something about 'shell is already running'. Examining the file shows the mail as being from 'Mail Delivery subsystem - daemon'. Some looks like being potentially usefull for debugging purtposes. I've got [only dial up] on this FC1 box; so where's the mail being sent from ? Can/should I disable this stuff ? Does the file 'roll-over' or fill up to infinity ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. It's mail from y...

New Mail
How do you get New Mail automatically into the Inbox after read??? Thanks Herb On 17 Aug 2007, "herb" <lebovitz@alum.mit.edu> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows: > How do you get New Mail automatically into the Inbox after read??? You need to restate the question, as it doesn't make sense. Pegasus doesn't have anything called "Inbox". If you're asking how to prevent read mail from being moved out of the New Mail Folder, see the setting: Tools | Options | General settings | Basic settings ...

How to new Mail
hi i'm newbie and i must add new user for sendmail in redhat 9.0 How to ? Useradd "user" ??? thanks On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:33:24 -0800 Andre wrote: > hi > i'm newbie and i must add new user for sendmail in redhat 9.0 > How to ? > Useradd "user" ??? > > thanks man useradd useradd --help Alexander -- Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999 PGP fingerprint: 2307 88FD 2D41 038E 7416 14CD E197 6E88 ED69 5653 ...

smtp standard query returns wrong provider-smtp-server?
Hi, i want my notes clients to send internet mail "through Domino Server" (->Send outgoing mail in location document). At the servers console i see the message: Router: No messages transferred to GMX.DE (host mx0.GMX.DE) via SMTP: Remote system no longer responding ok then i looked a little bit closer with Ethereal i got this: Standard query MX GMX.DE Standard query response MX 10 mx0.gmx.de mx 10 mx0.gmx.net Standard query A mx0.gmx.net Standard query response A 213.165.64.100 when i try to telnet to 213.165.64.100 25 i get no response (blank screen) The...

Web resources about - new SMTP-STS standard being proposed - comp.mail.misc