Sharing mail between Windows and Linux using Mozilla, AND bookmarks

A while ago I posted how to use Mozilla as a solution for sharing
mail between Windows and Linux on a dual-boot system:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ad16e28.0108290524.4fddb1f7%40posting.google.com&oe=UTF-8&output=gplain

At that time I recommended to make a symbolic link for Mozilla's
bookmarks so that they could be shared as well. That used to work,
but more recent versions of Mozilla destroy the link. I have just
learned that there is a much cleaner solution to access the bookmarks
file in a different location:

Specify the location of the bookmarks by creating "user.js" in the
same directory where you find "prefs.js" and add a line like this:

user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "/some/where/bookmarks.html");
  or on Windows:
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file",
"C:\\Some\\Where\\bookmarks.html");

For details see:
http://texturizer.net/phoenix/tips.html#beh_bookmarks

Note that there is some automatism, which copies preferences
specified in user.js to prefs.js. Because of that, getting rid of
certain preferences ("browser.bookmarks.file" is one of them)
requires not only removing them from user.js but also from prefs.js.
0
kappert
11/1/2003 5:33:36 PM
comp.mail.misc 4531 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow