Filing mail, mailing lists, sub-directories

I'm trying to find a way to ease the following:

From my .muttrc

	lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
	subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk

When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in:

	=Linux/dundee

rather than the default when I press 's':

	=dundee

I don't particularly want to go down the multiple mailboxes/procmail
route. Is there any other way to do it?

I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular
correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing. For
instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com, rather than being saved
into:
	=jim

could I persuade any messages to him to default to (when 's'aved):

	=Church/james.wilson

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                     Colin.no.spam.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk
0
Colin
9/1/2003 12:37:07 PM
comp.mail.mutt 1794 articles. 0 followers. mnjagadeesh (42) is leader. Post Follow

save-hook  dundee@mailman  =Linux/dundee

> rather than the default when I press 's':

> 	=dundee

> I don't particularly want to go down the multiple mailboxes/procmail
> route. Is there any other way to do it?

save-hooks. But you have to add one per sender to your muttrc.

> I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular
> correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing. For
> instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com, rather than being saved
> into:
> 	=jim

> could I persuade any messages to him to default to (when 's'aved):

> 	=Church/james.wilson

Same as above:

save-hook  jim@xxx  =Church/james.wilson

Alex
--
Alexander Wasmuth                        <http://alexander.wasmuth.org/>
0
* Colin Brough <Colin.NO.SPAM.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk>:
> I'm trying to find a way to ease the following:
> From my .muttrc
>   lists     dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
>   subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk

now, are you subscribed to that list, or not?
one of these commands should be enough! (see sig)

> When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in:
>
>   =Linux/dundee
>
> rather than the default when I press 's':
>
>   =dundee
>
> .. Is there any other way to do it?

you want a save-hook then:

    save-hook dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk =Linux/dundee

> I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular
> correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing.
> For instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com,
> rather than being saved into "=jim" could I persuade
> any messages to him to default to (when 's'aved):
>
>   =Church/james.wilson

  save-hook  jim@xxx.yyy.com =Church/james.wilson
   fcc-hook  jim@xxx.yyy.com =Church/james.wilson

and you'd better add ".invalid" to
your address if it isn't replyable..

Sven

use     "lists address"   when you are *not* subscribed -> request    CCs
use "subscribe address"   when you   *are*   subscribed -> request no CCs
-> http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mutt/setup.php3#lists_and_subscribe
0
Sven
9/1/2003 3:12:10 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:52:43 +0200, Alexander Wasmuth wrote:
> Colin Brough wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to find a way to ease the following:
>
>> From my .muttrc
>
>> 	lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
>> 	subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
>
>> When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in:
>
>> 	=Linux/dundee
>
> save-hook  dundee@mailman  =Linux/dundee

Doesn't work. Mutt 1.4i (2002-05-29) on Mandrake 9.0. manual.txt says:

  Usage: save-hook [!]pattern filename

  This command is used to override the default filename used when saving
  messages.  filename will be used as the default filename if the
  message is From: an address matching regexp or if you are the author
  and the message is addressed to: something matching regexp.

  See ``Message Matching in Hooks'' for information on the exact format
  of pattern.

Note the 'From:', which is why I asked the question here - with the
following in my .muttrc:

	lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
	subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
	save-hook dundee@mailman =Linux/dundee

these are still by default being saved in =dundee....

>> I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular
>> correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing.
>
> Same as above:
>
> save-hook  jim@xxx  =Church/james.wilson

Yeah, oops, this works, sorry for not thinking clearly. :-(

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                     Colin.no.spam.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk
0
Colin
9/1/2003 3:12:27 PM
On 1 Sep 2003 15:12:10 GMT, Sven Guckes wrote:
> * Colin Brough <Colin.NO.SPAM.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk>:
>> I'm trying to find a way to ease the following:
>> From my .muttrc
>>   lists     dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
>>   subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk
>
> now, are you subscribed to that list, or not?
> one of these commands should be enough! (see sig)

Ahh, OK, thanks! Yes, I am subscribed. .muttrc edit accordingly!!

>> When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in:
>>
>>   =Linux/dundee
>>
>> rather than the default when I press 's':
>>
>>   =dundee
>>
>> .. Is there any other way to do it?
>
> you want a save-hook then:
>
>     save-hook dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk =Linux/dundee

Nope, doesn't work. Still goes into =dundee. Mutt 1.4i (2002-05-29),
Mandrake 9.0

>   save-hook  jim@xxx.yyy.com =Church/james.wilson
>    fcc-hook  jim@xxx.yyy.com =Church/james.wilson

Yeah, I'd just not put two and two together to get four - sorry.

> and you'd better add ".invalid" to
> your address if it isn't replyable..

Huh? Yes, the address is not replyable - is there a convention in this
group or more widely to add invalid to it too? Hadn't heard of that!

Cheers

Colin

Colin Brough                     Colin.no.spam.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk
0
Colin
9/1/2003 3:22:15 PM
> you want a save-hook then:
>
>     save-hook dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk =Linux/dundee

Not quite. Got what I was looking for, following hints from your own
configuration website:

	save-hook ~Cdundee@mailman =Linux/dundee

Documentation isn't very clear - manual.txt says:

       ~C EXPR         message is either to: or cc: EXPR

but has a space between '~C' and EXPR which mutt barfs on. Also, the
paragraphs in manual.txt:

  3.14.  Specify default save filename

  Usage: save-hook [!]pattern filename

  This command is used to override the default filename used when saving
  messages.  filename will be used as the default filename if the
  message is From: an address matching regexp or if you are the author
  and the message is addressed to: something matching regexp.

  See ``Message Matching in Hooks'' for information on the exact format
  of pattern.

was confusing, because of its mention of 'From:' when I didn't know of
the wider power of the "Message Matching in Hooks" - that it could
match in other fields....

Thanks very much for the pointers... off to hack up .muttrc
accordingly!

Colin

Colin Brough                     Colin.no.spam.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk
0
Colin
9/1/2003 3:34:48 PM
Colin Brough <Colin.NO.SPAM.Brough@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> you want a save-hook then:
>>
>>     save-hook dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk =Linux/dundee
>
> Not quite. Got what I was looking for, following hints from your own
> configuration website:
>
> 	save-hook ~Cdundee@mailman =Linux/dundee
>
> Documentation isn't very clear - manual.txt says:
>
>        ~C EXPR         message is either to: or cc: EXPR
>
> but has a space between '~C' and EXPR which mutt barfs on. Also, the

That's because mutt interprets that space as the separator between
the pattern and the filename.  Another way to fix that is to put
quotes around the pattern:

	save-hook '~C dundee@mailman' =Linux/dundee

Gary
0
Gary

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical cop...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

mail not sent to some in mailing lists
When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this: Darien DeLu <con@macnexus.org>, David Casselman <davis@ix.netcom.com>, Deen Eber <deeber@comcast.net>, Dirk De Lu <dirk4@padise.net.nz>, Doug Henry <dahenry@gmail.com>, In the address book, addresses are listed one per line with commas at the end. As you can see, above Dirk De Lu appears under Bcc: as the second entry on one line with a space after the comma. When this happens, it appears Dirk does not ...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Mercury Mail Mailing List
I'm trying to set up a mailing list with Mercury /32 v4 and I'm having problems. I hope this is the right place to seek help. To the best of my knowledge, I created the list correctly. I added a couple of accounts to the subscription list. However, when I send a message to the list, it never gets distributed, and the sending account gets a bounce back email stating that "the user doesn't exist". So.. my questions are: 1. Does the mailing list address have to exist as a user account in Mercury? During my trouble-shooting, I thought that it might, so I cre...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate fi...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems ...

mails in the mail queue
Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the queued mails will be delivered. Thanks for advices! Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. sendmail -odq your@address < some.mail See man sendmail and doc/op/op.* about DeliveryMode. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because ...

Web resources about - Filing mail, mailing lists, sub-directories - comp.mail.mutt

Google Now Showing Sitelinks for Some Sub-Directories
As Googler, Matt Cutts Twittered, he now has Sitelinks under his domain for a search on [matt cutts]. Why did it take Matt over two years to ...