Getting correct From in mailing list mail

Hi,

  Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header
  contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's
  address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this?

--
Cheers,
Bernard

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:41:33 +0100, Bernard El-Hagin wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header
>   contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's
>   address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this?

That's a mailing list thing. And can't be changed by mutt automatically.

They must really hate Cc:'ed replies.

--
1. My Legions of Terror will have helmets with clear plexiglass visors,
   not face-concealing ones.
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:41:33 +0100, Bernard El-Hagin wrote:
> contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's
> address.

The mailing list is poorly configured.  Many mailing list administrators
arrogantly munge the message headers such that all replies *must* go
back to the list, even when this would be inappropriate or embarassing.

> Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this?

Mutt doesn't change any of the headers in messages, nor should it.
Properly-configured mailing list software doesn't either (though tagging
the Subject header is about the only proper exception).

--
 \     "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."  -- |
  `\                              Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 |
> Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header
> contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's
> address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this?

when you look at the emails with another program - do you get different
results?  do other members of that list get different results in the header?

now, if the mail is ok when looked at with eg "less" or "more" and
the contents change after you have started mutt on it then - worry!

but if the mails get sent out with sender's addresses rewritten
then you should kick the admin or get off the lists asap.  ymmv.

Sven
0
Sven

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Mercury Mail Mailing List
I'm trying to set up a mailing list with Mercury /32 v4 and I'm having problems. I hope this is the right place to seek help. To the best of my knowledge, I created the list correctly. I added a couple of accounts to the subscription list. However, when I send a message to the list, it never gets distributed, and the sending account gets a bounce back email stating that "the user doesn't exist". So.. my questions are: 1. Does the mailing list address have to exist as a user account in Mercury? During my trouble-shooting, I thought that it might, so I cre...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

mail not sent to some in mailing lists
When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this: Darien DeLu <con@macnexus.org>, David Casselman <davis@ix.netcom.com>, Deen Eber <deeber@comcast.net>, Dirk De Lu <dirk4@padise.net.nz>, Doug Henry <dahenry@gmail.com>, In the address book, addresses are listed one per line with commas at the end. As you can see, above Dirk De Lu appears under Bcc: as the second entry on one line with a space after the comma. When this happens, it appears Dirk does not ...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Mail refuses to get mail
2 weeks ago I noticed that Mail.app didn't get the mail from 1 of my 2 IMAP accounts (set to collect mail every 5 minutes). The other account, on the same server continued working normally. The problem was solved after a reboot. Yesterday the other account was stuck in the same way. This time a relaunch of Mail.app sufficed. Strange and nasty problem. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any permanent solutions except switching to another e-mail client? (I am considering Thunderbird now). System: Intel iMac, 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Mail 4.1 -- Zala zala(a...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems ...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

I get mail remotely, but sent mail waits for me to get home
I spent the day at the hospital today, and checked my e-mail on my Wi-Fi iPad. I replied to some messages but they failed to send out. I got home and plugged it into my Mac, and checked my mail. My sent mail was in my in box with the time I had pressed "sent". I am inferring that they had that time-date stamp on my iPad, but only got sent when I connected at home. Either via my home Wi-Fi, or via my Mac??? If it was the latter, then I expect I don't have something set up correctly in my iPad's outgoing mail. Could it be the latter? Or is it possib...

Web resources about - Getting correct From in mailing list mail - comp.mail.mutt

Marvel Boss Ike Perlmutter Takes Heat After Donating to Trump’s Veteran Charity
Ike Perlmutter, CEO of Marvel Comics, pledged $1 million Thursday night to Donald Trump’s fundraiser for U.S. military veterans. He helped the ...

Japan imposes a negative interest rate: What that means for them and us
The Bank of Japan announced Friday it was imposing a negative interest rate for the first time, an effort to jumpstart the Japanese economy out ...

Shock Top's Super Bowl 2016 Ad Stars T.J. Miller
Shock Top just debuted their 2016 Super Bowl commercial, which features Silicon Valley funnyman T.J. Miller ! In the commercial, T.J. gets into ...

IOC sends medical advice to Olympic committees on Zika virus
LONDON (AP) — The IOC advised national Olympic committees on Friday to follow the World Health Organization's guidance on dealing with the Zika ...

One escaped California inmate surrenders, others may be in San Jose
By Dan Whitcomb LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - One of three inmates who escaped a week ago from a maximum-security jail in Southern California has been ...

Sheriff in Oregon standoff no stranger to battle
Newsweek Sheriff in Oregon standoff no stranger to battle - and peacekeeping USA TODAY BURNS, Ore. - Dave Ward has stood on the battlefields ...

Kanye West Slammed By Waves Creator Max B After Wiz Khalifa Feud
It’s been a tough week for Kanye West. The rapper got into a heated feud with Wiz Khalifa after he changed his album name from Swish to Waves ...

Intra-Syrian talks kick off in Geneva, Syrian opposition confirms participation
Xinhua Intra-Syrian talks kick off in Geneva, Syrian opposition confirms participation Xinhua GENEVA, Jan. 29, 2016 (Xinhua) UN Special Envoy ...

US, UK intelligence agencies cracked Israeli drone data
The National Security Agency and the UK's Government Communication Headquarters have been hacking into Israeli drones to observe military operations ...

French Film Industry Pays Homage to Director Jacques Rivette
Jacques Rivette, one of the leading lights of the French New Wave who died on Friday at age 87, was celebrated throughout the day with a series ...