How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists

Hello everyone.

I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take
help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view
of them.  I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add
this to my .muttrc:

    color index foreground background pattern

But what does "pattern" mean?  Should I replaced it with the address
or a regexp or something else?

Thanks a lot.

--
Fear is the path to the Darkside.
Fear leads to anger,

Corsair wrote:
> What does "pattern" mean in "color index foreground background pattern"?

	mutt
	<f1>
	/ Patterns

--
The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of. -- Blaise Pascal
0
"Corsair" wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a
> clearer view of them.  I've looked up the manual already, seems
> that I should add this to my .muttrc:
>
>     color index foreground background pattern
>
> But what does "pattern" mean?  Should I replaced it with the
> address or a regexp or something else?
>
> Thanks a lot.

Hello again, Corsair.

I take a different approach, having Procmail deliver mail from
mailing lists to their own mailboxes (simple) then, use Mutt's
mailboxes command so that when I call mutt -y (aliased), all
those mailboxes come up, and if there's any new mail in them,
this is indicated with an "N" on the left.

mailboxes =box1 =box2 ...

AC

--
Homepage: http://home.earthlink.net/~alanconnor/
Fanclub: http://www.pearlgates.net/nanae/kooks/alanconnor.shtml

Thanks.

gorx Ivanov <i+usenetd30303fa@gambit.com.ru> writes:
> Corsair wrote:
> > What does "pattern" mean in "color index foreground background pattern"?
>
> 	mutt
> 	<f1>
> 	/ Patterns
>
> --
> The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of. -- Blaise Pascal

--
Fear is the path to the Darkside.
Fear leads to anger,
Anger leads to hate,
Hate leads to suffering.
0
Corsair
10/15/2005 12:20:46 PM

Corsair wrote:
> I search the manual again and found the definitions in chapter 4.2 :-p.

    As documentation is generated automagically, the chapter number may differ
    from version to version of Mutt. Therefore I told the chapter name only.

--
The Wright Bothers weren't the first to fly.
They were just the first not to crash.
* Corsair wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take
> help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view
> of them.  I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add
> this to my .muttrc:
>
>     color index foreground background pattern
>
> But what does "pattern" mean?  Should I replaced it with the address
> or a regexp or something else?

color index brightgreen default "~C help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org"

The ~C matches mail To or Cc that email address.  All the lists I
subscribe to have their address in the To, not my address.  The poster's
email address is in the From, so that's too hard to match.

Look in man muttrc for PATTERNS.

--
Troy Piggins
Where I live: 27 27 44 S 153 02 28 E

Mail and imported mail in mail app

mail not sent to some in mailing lists
When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this: Darien DeLu <con@macnexus.org>, David Casselman <davis@ix.netcom.com>, Deen Eber <deeber@comcast.net>, Dirk De Lu <dirk4@padise.net.nz>, Doug Henry <dahenry@gmail.com>, In the address book, addresses are listed one per line with commas at the end. As you can see, above Dirk De Lu appears under Bcc: as the second entry on one line with a space after the comma. When this happens, it appears Dirk does not ...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

Mercury Mail Mailing List
I'm trying to set up a mailing list with Mercury /32 v4 and I'm having problems. I hope this is the right place to seek help. To the best of my knowledge, I created the list correctly. I added a couple of accounts to the subscription list. However, when I send a message to the list, it never gets distributed, and the sending account gets a bounce back email stating that "the user doesn't exist". So.. my questions are: 1. Does the mailing list address have to exist as a user account in Mercury? During my trouble-shooting, I thought that it might, so I cre...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems ...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical cop...

Mail erases mail?
Using Apple's Mail 1.3.9 on Panther: I had two email accounts and, in Prefs > Accounts, unchecked Enable for one of them. All the mail in my inbox from that account promptly disappeared! Is there any way to get it back? -- John Rethorst jrethorst at post dot com In article <noone-B571F2.18450825092004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, John Rethorst <noone@nowhere.net> wrote: > Using Apple's Mail 1.3.9 on Panther: I had two email accounts and, in Prefs > > Accounts, unchecked Enable for one of them. All the mail in my inbox from > that account promptly disap...

mails in the mail queue
Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the queued mails will be delivered. Thanks for advices! Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. sendmail -odq your@address < some.mail See man sendmail and doc/op/op.* about DeliveryMode. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because ...

Junk mail in Mail
With Mail out of the training mode & in Automatic mode, does Mail remember the messages you mark as Junk? Or, do you have to go back to training mode to tell Mail what is junk? Because after training mode, I still get some junk mail & mark it as junk, & I'm wondering if Mail remembers that, as if it were in training mode. On 2007-05-29 13:28:36 -0400, One4All <dwerner@bresnan.net> said: > With Mail out of the training mode & in Automatic mode, does Mail > remember the messages you mark as Junk? Or, do you have to go back to > training mode to tell Mail wha...

Web resources about - How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists - comp.mail.mutt

UFC 194 Aldo vs. McGregor: Live Results, Play-by-Play and Fight Card Hightlights - Bleacher Report
Latest: With McGregor's knockout of Jose Aldo we close the book on UFC 194. There is but one show remaining in 2015, and that is UFC on Fox 17, ...

Delgaudio Posts 80s "Hightlight" Reel
Eugene Delgaudio's crackpottery goes back to the late 80s and he wants you to know it. Watch the fake reporter woodenly "interview" Delgaudio ...

Core77's Holiday Gift Guide Hightlight: Toys, toys, toys!
Industrial Design content and community site - articles, discussions, interviews and resources.

Caesar Guerini, FABARM, Ithaca, Franchi, Connecticut Shotgun and Webley & Scott Hightlight New Sporting ...
Caesar Guerini, FABARM, Ithaca, Franchi, Connecticut Shotgun and Webley & Scott Hightlight New Sporting Shotguns at the 2012 Shot Show

Windows 2003 Deadline Hightlights IT's Maintenance Issues
Runners in the Pittsburgh Marathon cross the Rachel Carson Bridge in downtown Pittsburgh, Sunday, May 3, 2015. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar) Death ...

Local TV Station Reenacts NCAA Tournament Hightlights Since They Don't Have The Rights To Actual Footage ...
This is a short video of the Gainesville (Florida) based WCJB-20 sports news team reenacting highlights from the NCAA 'Elite Eight' tournament ...

SC: Hightlight of the Night - ESPN Video - ESPN
ESPN Video: Down early, the Rays rallied behind the bats of B.J. Upton and Carlos Pena to top the Yankees 4-3.

WP8.1《HTC Video Highlights》更新,完善图片获取 - WP8.1版HTC One M8,HTC One M8 for Windows,HTC Video Hightlight ...
HTC为WP8.1版HTC One M8推出了4款独占应用,现在其中的一款应用 ——《HTC Video Highlights》获得更新,图片获取机制更加完善,提高了用户使用体验。

Facebook Hightlights Your Hobbies With New Enhancements To Reading, Fitness & Entertainment Actions
Those heavy users of Facebook lifestyle apps will soon be able to share more information with their friends, that will gain more engagement. ...

Iran Nuclear Deal Hightlights
Highlights of the nuclear deal between Iran and six world powers.