Getting strange characters in e-mail

> The strange letters you received:

I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came through like
this:

Boullé's

I asked about it on the list, and this is the reply I received:

> Monday, April 2, 2012, 7:09:51 PM, you wrote:
>
>    >> Can anyone provide me with info on when the Boullé's came to
>    South Africa?
>
>    SH> Boull WHO?
>
> Must be an artefact of your email viewer. My email client (The Bat)
> using its text only view, transcribes the letters perfectly well, as
> do, as it appears from messages in reply, do most other people's.
>
> In my email viewer the two odd letters are replaced by an e acute.

In the reply, the name in the haeader, and in the body of the message, was
quite readable.

I have had a number of other messages with strange cvharacters in them --
capital A with two dots over it, Euro signs, trademark signs and the like.

People blame my reader, Pegasus, for them, but I find that when the guy who
replied top me above quoted the original, it came through fine.

What is causing this, and is there anything I can do about it?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

In article <53emn79fdtdq83cid3f6p9vio00vu0hgip@4ax.com>, hayesstw@telkomsa.net
says...

> > The strange letters you received:
> >
> I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came through like
> this:
>
> Boullé's
>
> I asked about it on the list, and this is the reply I received:
>
> > Monday, April 2, 2012, 7:09:51 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >    >> Can anyone provide me with info on when the Boullé's came to
> >    South Africa?
> >
> >    SH> Boull WHO?
It look like an UTF8 character inside an html mail sspecifying that the html part is
not charset utf-8 but something like: charset=windows-1252 or charset=iso-8859-15

You have to look in the source os the mail. I don't know if Pegasus offer what
SeaMonkey offer - a right-click gives in the pop-up menu the "View mail source"
choice.
0
Ray_Net
3/25/2013 7:56:32 AM
On 3/25/2013 3:56 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
> In article <53emn79fdtdq83cid3f6p9vio00vu0hgip@4ax.com>, hayesstw@telkomsa.net
> says...
>>
>>> The strange letters you received:
>>>
>> I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came through like
>> this:
>>
>> Boullé's
>>
>> I asked about it on the list, and this is the reply I received:
>>
>>> Monday, April 2, 2012, 7:09:51 PM, you wrote:
>>>
>>>     >> Can anyone provide me with info on when the Boullé's came to
>>>     South Africa?
>>>
>>>     SH> Boull WHO?
> It look like an UTF8 character inside an html mail sspecifying that the html part is
> not charset utf-8 but something like: charset=windows-1252 or charset=iso-8859-15
>
> You have to look in the source os the mail. I don't know if Pegasus offer what
> SeaMonkey offer - a right-click gives in the pop-up menu the "View mail source"
> choice.

In Pegasus, there are tabs across the top of a message:  Message,
Attachments, Annotations, and Raw View.  Clicking the Raw View tab shows
the source of the message with no translation.

Bill

0
Bill
3/25/2013 12:11:04 PM
Am 03.04.2012, 19:55 Uhr, schrieb Steve Hayes <hayesstw@telkomsa.net>:

>> The strange letters you received:
>>
> I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came  =

> through like
> this:
>
> Boull=C3=A9's

It might be due to a limitation in Pegasus Mail's current mail storing  =

mechanism, see <http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/37629.aspx> for=
  =

details.

					Michael

-- =

PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
S/MIME Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b=
5  =

5e 5b
0
Michael
3/25/2013 3:02:12 PM
In article <kipesp$18p$1@news.albasani.net>, billmccray@mindspring.com says...

> On 3/25/2013 3:56 AM, Ray_Net wrote:
> > In article <53emn79fdtdq83cid3f6p9vio00vu0hgip@4ax.com>, hayesstw@telkomsa.net
> > says...

> >> I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came through like
> >> this:
> >>
> >> Boullé's
> >>
> >> I asked about it on the list, and this is the reply I received:

> > It look like an UTF8 character inside an html mail sspecifying that the html part is
> > not charset utf-8 but something like: charset=windows-1252 or charset=iso-8859-15
> >
> > You have to look in the source os the mail. I don't know if Pegasus offer what
> > SeaMonkey offer - a right-click gives in the pop-up menu the "View mail source"
> > choice.
>
> In Pegasus, there are tabs across the top of a message:  Message,
> Attachments, Annotations, and Raw View.  Clicking the Raw View tab shows
> the source of the message with no translation.

Thanks for this info - sometimes very useful.

0
Ray_Net