f



Importing existing mail from Outlook2002 or Eudora 6 to Pegasus-mail?

Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to
have access to my mail archives?

Best Regards
Jan Erik Frithjofsen
0
Jan
9/20/2003 8:35:11 AM
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc 1751 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
833 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 5

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen 
<jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to
> have access to my mail archives?
>
> Best Regards
> Jan Erik Frithjofsen
>
If you are using Outlook2002 with MsExchange and therefore Windows 
Messaging (aka MAPI) then I have a utility (PM2MSM32) you may be interested 
in.  To migrate Eudora messages, is straightforward. Check the Pegasus Mail 
website FAQ for details, or search this news group archives.

Martin

0
Martin
9/21/2003 4:21:37 AM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen
<jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to
>have access to my mail archives?

There are various ways and means, but for Outlook the best I've found
is to transfer the messages via IMAP -- install an IMAP server like
Mercury (temporarily if you don't need it otherwise), and just drag
and drop things around (there is a better set of destructions in the
list archives ;-).

The other option usually involves other third party mail clients --
Eudora might help here.

As for Eudora itself, if I remember correctly, it uses, or can use
MBOX format mail folders -- you can open these directly in PMail as it
understands MBOX natively.  Just place the folder files in your Home
mailbox, and if necessary rename them to *.mbx.  Once you can see them
in PMail though I would advise creating native PMail folders and
moving the messages in to them.  The reason is that PMail folders have
extra feature that are good to have (such as reclaiming deleted space
and consistency checks).

HTH

-- 
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.
0
Nomad
9/21/2003 1:51:39 PM
Thank you, both of you for your comments. I think I'm beginning to get
the knack of it now. 

Regards
Jan Erik Frithjofsen

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:51:39 +0200, Nomad <nomad***@***absamail.co.za>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen
><jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to
>>have access to my mail archives?
>
>There are various ways and means, but for Outlook the best I've found
>is to transfer the messages via IMAP -- install an IMAP server like
>Mercury (temporarily if you don't need it otherwise), and just drag
>and drop things around (there is a better set of destructions in the
>list archives ;-).
>
>The other option usually involves other third party mail clients --
>Eudora might help here.
>
>As for Eudora itself, if I remember correctly, it uses, or can use
>MBOX format mail folders -- you can open these directly in PMail as it
>understands MBOX natively.  Just place the folder files in your Home
>mailbox, and if necessary rename them to *.mbx.  Once you can see them
>in PMail though I would advise creating native PMail folders and
>moving the messages in to them.  The reason is that PMail folders have
>extra feature that are good to have (such as reclaiming deleted space
>and consistency checks).
>
>HTH

0
Jan
9/21/2003 9:01:49 PM
On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 15:51:39 +0200, Nomad <nomad***@***absamail.co.za>
wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen
><jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to
>>have access to my mail archives?
>
>There are various ways and means, but for Outlook the best I've found

<snip>

D'oh!!

Forgot about Martin's excellent PM2MSM -- that really _is_ the way to
go for Outlook.

Laters

-- 
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.
0
Nomad
9/22/2003 5:21:48 PM
Hi!
It seems like your last comment (and Martin's) exceedes my level of
undertanding and competence. I'm just happy to be able to switch to
Pegasus and take my old emails with me. 
And I succeeded -  thanks to you guys  :-)

Best Regards
Jan Erik Frithjofsen

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:21:48 +0200, Nomad <nomad***@***absamail.co.za>
wrote:
>
>D'oh!!
>
>Forgot about Martin's excellent PM2MSM -- that really _is_ the way to
>go for Outlook.
>
>Laters

0
Jan
9/22/2003 7:45:17 PM
What did you use to convert...Martins piece of software?

-DJ

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:45:17 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen
<jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote:

>undertanding and competence. I'm just happy to be able to switch to
>Pegasus and take my old emails with me. 
>And I succeeded -  thanks to you guys  :-)

*************************
"If people let government decide what foods they eat and what
 medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as
 are the souls of those who live under tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson
************************
0
DJE
9/26/2003 1:37:52 PM
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:37:52 +0200, DJE <junkmail2dje@nettax.com>
wrote:

>What did you use to convert...Martins piece of software?
>
>-DJ

I found out that I did not have to convert the files at all . I found
out that Pegasus can read Eudora mail files  and all I needed to do
was to follow this recepee which I found at the official Pegasus web
site:
"Click on the Folders -> Add Mailbox To List... menu option and enter
the path to the directory where the Eudora *.mbx are located and enter
a name for this mailbox structure (don't use single- nor
double-quotes). The Eudora mailboxes are added in a new mailbox using
the chosen name. For other MBOX-compatible mail programs, you will
have to first rename the mail folders so that they use a .MBX filename
extension.
Note: we don't recommend using the MBOX mail folders within Pegasus
Mail for regular mail storage. The feature is primarily intended to
allow you to quickly import/export mail. 

It would probably have been harder if I'd had to import from Outlook

Best Regards
Jan Erik
0
Jan
9/27/2003 3:19:52 PM
Reply: