f



Pegasus v4.12 Slow in Deleting Mail

Hi All,

Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
messages on atsrtup and deleting.

In v4.01, I could select a block of emailas and click DELETE and they'd 
be gone in a second or 2. Now, it takes approx 1 second per message to 
delete them ! Clearly, for mailing lists with deverl hundred messages, 
this can take more than a couple of minutes !!

Anyone have any ideas ?

As a registered user of Pagasus, I've been tryin got contact their 
technical support on other issues and have never received a reply.

0
Mark
5/17/2004 4:05:16 PM
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc 1751 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

6 Replies
222 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 46

"Mark" <No-one@nobody.com> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc:
>Hi All,
>
>Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
>finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
>messages on atsrtup and deleting.
>
>In v4.01, I could select a block of emailas and click DELETE and they'd 
>be gone in a second or 2. Now, it takes approx 1 second per message to 
>delete them ! Clearly, for mailing lists with deverl hundred messages, 
>this can take more than a couple of minutes !!

Do you perhaps have 
	Tools
	Options
	Basic settings
	Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes
checked? If you do, Pegasus downloads each mail and saves it in your 
Deleted folder.



-- 
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems   Cortland County, New York, USA
                                    http://OakRoadSystems.com
You need any friends you can get. The only thing standing
between you and a watery grave is your wits, and that's not
my idea of adequate protection.     -- /Beat the Devil/ (1954)
0
Stan
5/17/2004 10:27:31 PM
On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:05:16 GMT, Mark <No-one@nobody.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
>finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
>messages on atsrtup and deleting.
>
>In v4.01, I could select a block of emailas and click DELETE and they'd 
>be gone in a second or 2. Now, it takes approx 1 second per message to 
>delete them ! Clearly, for mailing lists with deverl hundred messages, 
>this can take more than a couple of minutes !!
>
>Anyone have any ideas ?
>
>As a registered user of Pagasus, I've been tryin got contact their 
>technical support on other issues and have never received a reply.

I just had Pegasus (v4.02) crawl to an extremly slow delete rate too.
I fixed it by defraging my hard drive.

YMMV

0
Malcolm
5/17/2004 11:14:02 PM
In article <MPG.1b13065cf8f6c5c298c3f1@news.odyssey.net>, 
the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm postulated...
> "Mark" <No-one@nobody.com> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
> >finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
> >messages on atsrtup and deleting.
> >
> >In v4.01, I could select a block of emailas and click DELETE and they'd 
> >be gone in a second or 2. Now, it takes approx 1 second per message to 
> >delete them ! Clearly, for mailing lists with deverl hundred messages, 
> >this can take more than a couple of minutes !!
> 
> Do you perhaps have 
> 	Tools
> 	Options
> 	Basic settings
> 	Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes
> checked? If you do, Pegasus downloads each mail and saves it in your 
> Deleted folder.

Damn ! That did it. Except.....I've been using Pegasus for over a decade 
and I've *always* had that option checked and have never had performance 
issues before.

This is going ot be a tough call. I often go into my deleted messages 
over the course of a day to look for something that may have got 
inadvertently deleted, etc.

I'm not sure I want to give that up. Mind you, I *can't* keep the 
current situation either. <sigh>

Thanks for the help.

 
0
Mark
5/18/2004 4:31:35 PM
In article <MPG.1b12915376080793989680@news.telusplanet.net>, No-
one@nobody.com says...
> Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
> finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
> messages on atsrtup and deleting.

I have found, since version 4.12 that deleting is slow for the first 
message deleted.  Thereafter Pegasus seems to zip along just fine.  I 
have presumed that, for whatever, reason, creating the temporary deleted 
messages folder is what is taking the extra time.  

Andrew

-- 

Reply address ROT13 encoded to reduce UCE.
naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg
0
A
5/18/2004 5:05:58 PM
In article <MPG.1b13e8ff12493afb989681@news.telusplanet.net>, No-
one@nobody.com says...
> In article <MPG.1b13065cf8f6c5c298c3f1@news.odyssey.net>, 
> the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm postulated...
> > "Mark" <No-one@nobody.com> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc:
> > >Hi All,
> > >
> > >Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
> > >finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
> > >messages on atsrtup and deleting.
> > >
> > >In v4.01, I could select a block of emailas and click DELETE and they'd 
> > >be gone in a second or 2. Now, it takes approx 1 second per message to 
> > >delete them ! Clearly, for mailing lists with deverl hundred messages, 
> > >this can take more than a couple of minutes !!
> > 
> > Do you perhaps have 
> > 	Tools
> > 	Options
> > 	Basic settings
> > 	Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes
> > checked? If you do, Pegasus downloads each mail and saves it in your 
> > Deleted folder.
> 
> Damn ! That did it. Except.....I've been using Pegasus for over a decade 
> and I've *always* had that option checked and have never had performance 
> issues before.
> 
> This is going ot be a tough call. I often go into my deleted messages 
> over the course of a day to look for something that may have got 
> inadvertently deleted, etc.
> 
> I'm not sure I want to give that up. Mind you, I *can't* keep the 
> current situation either. <sigh>
> 
> Thanks for the help.
> 
>  
> 

Mark,

I've found that moving the files to your deleted folder instead of 
deleting them is tons faster.  Not sure why it makes a difference, but 
it does for us.

HTH,

Todd
0
Todd
5/18/2004 6:30:59 PM
In article <MPG.1b14125fdb64680e98968f@News.Individual.NET>, 
toddvNOSPAM@asicomp.com postulated...
> In article <MPG.1b13e8ff12493afb989681@news.telusplanet.net>, No-
> one@nobody.com says...
> > In article <MPG.1b13065cf8f6c5c298c3f1@news.odyssey.net>, 
> > the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm postulated...
> > > "Mark" <No-one@nobody.com> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc:
> > > >Hi All,
> > > >
> > > >Just switched to v4.12 from v4.01 (and from NT4 to Win 2K) and I'm 
> > > >finding the new version excessively slow -particularly when loading 
> > > >messages on atsrtup and deleting.
> > > >
> > > >In v4.01, I could select a block of emailas and click DELETE and they'd 
> > > >be gone in a second or 2. Now, it takes approx 1 second per message to 
> > > >delete them ! Clearly, for mailing lists with deverl hundred messages, 
> > > >this can take more than a couple of minutes !!
> > > 
> > > Do you perhaps have 
> > > 	Tools
> > > 	Options
> > > 	Basic settings
> > > 	Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes
> > > checked? If you do, Pegasus downloads each mail and saves it in your 
> > > Deleted folder.
> > 
> > Damn ! That did it. Except.....I've been using Pegasus for over a decade 
> > and I've *always* had that option checked and have never had performance 
> > issues before.
> > 
> > This is going ot be a tough call. I often go into my deleted messages 
> > over the course of a day to look for something that may have got 
> > inadvertently deleted, etc.
> > 
> > I'm not sure I want to give that up. Mind you, I *can't* keep the 
> > current situation either. <sigh>
> > 
> > Thanks for the help.
> > 
> >  
> > 
> 
> Mark,
> 
> I've found that moving the files to your deleted folder instead of 
> deleting them is tons faster.  Not sure why it makes a difference, but 
> it does for us.
> 

Interesting. I had tried dragging the messages to the deleted folder and 
that was no faster. MOVING them though, is.

Bizarre.

 
0
Mark
5/18/2004 8:16:03 PM
Reply: