f



Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet

Hello,

I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based
network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is
on a Win98SE
box.  I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the
following
questions.

1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems.
It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these?

2. Do I need Mercury?  I am setting up a simply email system inhouse
with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the
outside Internet world through this email system.

3. On the server computer, are the user accounts/mailboxes managed?
When I created a couple email accounts on the server, the workstation
did not know anything about these users.

4. What do I use for the "internet" name? Do I have to set up a dummy
domain (like mgi.com) so that a qualified address would be m...@mgi.com
?    I tried this and got the following error on Mercury on the server:

"Error 553: Sorry, we do no relay non-local mail."

5. Is Pegasus Mail installed locally on each workstation, or is it run
from the server?  I'm still confused here. I see that there is a
reference to WSSetup.EXE.  I have a feeling that PMail needs to be
installed as a separate local copy on each workstation. Then I need to
specify the path where to store the mail (on the Win98SE box)

Thanks for any assistance.

Mike McWhinney

0
eljainc
8/22/2006 2:32:27 PM
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc 1751 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

2 Replies
551 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15

eljainc@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:1156257147.362222.281450
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Hello,
> 
> I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based
> network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is
> on a Win98SE
> box.  I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the
> following
> questions.
> 
> 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems.
> It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these?

If you are only using Pegasus Mail to send messages back and over a set 
of computers all running Pegasus Mail on a LAN, then no.

> 2. Do I need Mercury?  I am setting up a simply email system inhouse
> with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the
> outside Internet world through this email system.

No.

> 3. On the server computer, are the user accounts/mailboxes managed?
> When I created a couple email accounts on the server, the workstation
> did not know anything about these users.

All account management is handled by Pegasus Mail. It does not yet 
integrate with the OS when using Windows. (Some Netware integration is 
possible, But I don't know anything about that part of it.)

> 4. What do I use for the "internet" name? Do I have to set up a dummy
> domain (like mgi.com) so that a qualified address would be m...@mgi.com
> ?    I tried this and got the following error on Mercury on the server:
> 
> "Error 553: Sorry, we do no relay non-local mail."

Not needed. You are only doing local direct-delivery stuff, so you don't 
need any kind of SMTP or relaying.

> 5. Is Pegasus Mail installed locally on each workstation, or is it run
> from the server?

Either way. The key is not where Pegasus Mail is installed, but where the 
mailboxes are stored.

>  I'm still confused here. I see that there is a
> reference to WSSetup.EXE.  I have a feeling that PMail needs to be
> installed as a separate local copy on each workstation.

Nope.

> Then I need to
> specify the path where to store the mail (on the Win98SE box)

Yep.

Check out this guide from the Pegasus Mail knowledgebase:

http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=C1523317-4EC6-11D4-
8B6B0008C709E5EC

Just ignore the stuff about Mercury/32.

The key is that when all your users share a common mailbox path, they can 
send messages directly to the other users' mailbox without the need for a 
mail server. You can add Mercury/32 later, if you want, for complete 
Internet mail functionality.

-- 
Rob Croson (robert@arcm.com)
Member of the Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 Beta Test Teams
Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 Portal: http://email.arcm.com
Visit the MailWiki: http://email.arcm.com/wiki
Support Pegasus Mail: http://www.cafeshops.com/pegasusmail
0
Rob
8/22/2006 7:45:16 PM
Thanks Rob,

I will  have a look at this.

Mike

Rob wrote:
> eljainc@sbcglobal.net wrote in news:1156257147.362222.281450
> @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based
> > network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is
> > on a Win98SE
> > box.  I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the
> > following
> > questions.
> >
> > 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems.
> > It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these?
>
> If you are only using Pegasus Mail to send messages back and over a set
> of computers all running Pegasus Mail on a LAN, then no.
>
> > 2. Do I need Mercury?  I am setting up a simply email system inhouse
> > with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the
> > outside Internet world through this email system.
>
> No.
>
> > 3. On the server computer, are the user accounts/mailboxes managed?
> > When I created a couple email accounts on the server, the workstation
> > did not know anything about these users.
>
> All account management is handled by Pegasus Mail. It does not yet
> integrate with the OS when using Windows. (Some Netware integration is
> possible, But I don't know anything about that part of it.)
>
> > 4. What do I use for the "internet" name? Do I have to set up a dummy
> > domain (like mgi.com) so that a qualified address would be m...@mgi.com
> > ?    I tried this and got the following error on Mercury on the server:
> >
> > "Error 553: Sorry, we do no relay non-local mail."
>
> Not needed. You are only doing local direct-delivery stuff, so you don't
> need any kind of SMTP or relaying.
>
> > 5. Is Pegasus Mail installed locally on each workstation, or is it run
> > from the server?
>
> Either way. The key is not where Pegasus Mail is installed, but where the
> mailboxes are stored.
>
> >  I'm still confused here. I see that there is a
> > reference to WSSetup.EXE.  I have a feeling that PMail needs to be
> > installed as a separate local copy on each workstation.
>
> Nope.
>
> > Then I need to
> > specify the path where to store the mail (on the Win98SE box)
>
> Yep.
>
> Check out this guide from the Pegasus Mail knowledgebase:
>
> http://kbase.pmail.gen.nz/viewfull.cfm?ObjectID=C1523317-4EC6-11D4-
> 8B6B0008C709E5EC
>
> Just ignore the stuff about Mercury/32.
>
> The key is that when all your users share a common mailbox path, they can
> send messages directly to the other users' mailbox without the need for a
> mail server. You can add Mercury/32 later, if you want, for complete
> Internet mail functionality.
>
> --
> Rob Croson (robert@arcm.com)
> Member of the Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 Beta Test Teams
> Pegasus Mail and Mercury/32 Portal: http://email.arcm.com
> Visit the MailWiki: http://email.arcm.com/wiki
> Support Pegasus Mail: http://www.cafeshops.com/pegasusmail

0
eljainc
8/23/2006 2:41:36 PM
Reply: