SpamAssassin and Merc32

Has anyone tried to setup SpamAssassin as a filter under Mercury32?  Is
there a way to get some code to try to make a module myself?

I'd like to try it, but I have no idea where to start at this point...

Anyone???

0
FluffyG
6/28/2003 4:29:21 AM
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc 1751 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

I'm interested in how to integrate it.

Thanks,
Dave Lewis

Sebastian Breier <Seba_B@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<kb4lhv0kujh6t971t1v1iad6slptfbqhvv@4ax.com>...
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:29:21 -0500, "FluffyG"
> <fluffyg@howyougetsofluffy.biz> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone tried to setup SpamAssassin as a filter under Mercury32?  Is
> >there a way to get some code to try to make a module myself?
> >
> >I'd like to try it, but I have no idea where to start at this point...
> >
> >Anyone???
>
> I have it fully integrated and it works quite well...
> But I still have situations in which mail identified as Spam doesn't
> get sorted out which I'm trying to fix right now.

spamtrap
7/24/2003 10:31:49 PM
On 24 Jul 2003 15:31:49 -0700, spamtrap@tpsd.com (Dave) wrote:

>I'm interested in how to integrate it.
>
>> >Has anyone tried to setup SpamAssassin as a filter under Mercury32?  Is
>> >there a way to get some code to try to make a module myself?

First: You need quite some knowledge of PCs in general, and also about
how mails look, or you won't be able to do this. Also, knowledge of
the scripting language Perl is a plus.

I'm too lazy to go into the details of what to change if you use other
paths than I have, so either use mine, or change them and know what
you are doing. Of course you can still ask me.

1) Install ActivePerl. It's a Win32 Perl distribution, free and with
most needed packages. Get version 5.8 here:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/
(I used C:\Perl as directory)
I'm not sure if the installer does it, but you should put
"C:\Perl\bin" into your PATH environment.

2) Unpack SpamAssassin. You can get it here:
http://www.spamassassin.org
(I used C:\SpamAssassin as directory)

3) Install Perl Modules that SpamAssassin needs.

a) Unpack Mail-SpamAssassin-2.55.zip\Mail-SpamAssassin-2.55\lib into
C:\Perl\site, so that you'll later have
C:\Perl\site\lib\Mail\SpamAssassin.pm and a subdirectory
'SpamAssassin'.

b) Net::DNS module... this is complicated. The automatic installer of
Perl can't find this module so we'll have to install it manually.
Download it from here:
http://www.net-dns.org/
Unpack Net-DNS-0.34.tar.gz\Net-DNS-0.34\lib into C:\Perl\site, so that
you'll later have C:\Perl\site\lib\Net\DNS.pm and a subdirectory
'DNS'.

c) DB_file (not absolutely necessary, but will make SpamAssassin use
its file databases faster)... we can get this one with the automatic
Perl module installer:
Start "ppm".
Type "install DB_file" [Return]
Now you got the DB_file module installed and ready to use.

d) If you installed DB_file... I found out recently that when it's
used, it shoots an error msg that tells me it can't find libdb.dll...
well... you can get the file from
http://content.no-ip.org/Stuff/libdb.zip
Put the .dll into some directory in your PATH... like C:\Perl\bin
(since it's a .dll that's needed by a Perl module).

4) Install the interface Mercury <=> SpamAssassin

a) Get this file:
http://content.no-ip.org/Stuff/CheckSpam2.txt
Rename it to CheckSpam.pl on your system and put it whereever you like
(I keep it in C:\System). I'll explain what this file does.

- - - - -
[ Perl script header]
#!C:/Perl/bin/perl.exe

[ Be strict with the language syntax]
use strict;

[ Open the mail file (first cmdline argument) and read the mail ]
open(MAIL, '<' . $ARGV[0]);
my @mail = <MAIL>;
close(MAIL);

[ Find a Received line where a Mercury mail server on
"content.no-ip.org" received a mail from IP 10.0.0.x or 127.0.0.1.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: Since Mercury doesn't recognize mail from all my
LAN hosts as local, I have to use this so mail coming from my own PC
won't get checked for Spam, because I don't want this. More on this
later. ]
my $result = grep(/Received: .+ \((10\.0\.0\.\d+|127\.0\.0\.1)\) by
content\.no-ip\.org \(Mercury\/32 v3\.32\)/, @mail);

[ If mail non-local, check it for Spam... SpamAssassin will return
exit-code 0 if it's not spam, 5 if it's spam. Cmdline arguments 0 and
1 are used as input and output ]
my $exitvalue = 0;
if (!$result) {        # Special Received line not found, so mail is
non-local (check for spam)
    chdir('c:\\SpamAssassin');
    `perl -T spamassassin.raw --exit-code < $ARGV[0] > $ARGV[1]`;
    $exitvalue = ($? >> 8);
}

[ This is not really important ]
if (!$exitvalue) {
	$exitvalue = 0;
}

[ Quit with SpamAssassin's exit value ]
exit($exitvalue);
- - - - -

Let me explain why the check of the Received line is important, and
why I don't want to check outgoing mail.

SpamAssassin version 2.50 and above feature a new additional spam
recognition module: a Bayesian filter.

These filters learn from the mail that gets checked. Since
SpamAssassin is by default configured that a mail with score 5.0 and
above is spam, the Bayesian filter will take mail with score -2.0 and
lower as "no spam" and mail with score 15.0 and higher as "spam".
After some time of learning (I think mine took around 100 real mails
and 500 spam mails), this Bayesian filter will used additionally to
find out if a mail is spam.

Since I only send out *normal* mail, I don't want it to be checked, as
that would change the score. I only want incoming mail to be checked.

This is all configurable, and you can find info on that in the
SpamAssassin documentation. You can still ask me for special
configurations, but you should be able to figure that out yourself.
Apart from that, SpamAssassin's default config is quite good.

Anyway, let's go on.

b) Configure Mercury:
Create a new Policy: "SpamAssassin".
Type: Run a program and examine return code
Cmdline: c:\perl\bin\perl.exe c:\system\CheckSpam.pl ~X ~R
(Remember to check the paths)
Sentinel & Result file: Empty
No options
Forward the message to a local user: <Create a new user that will get
all the spam>
Or just delete it (but I think this is dangerous, because SpamAssassin
still *might* be wrong).

So... that's it...

If you have any problems with the script, with the configuration or
implementation, if you want to know how to change the regex that
recognizes outgoing mail from your LAN, or whatever, just reply to
this message.

Note: I know that I don't always use the best methods for
everything... there are better ways to install Perl modules than just
plain unpacking them like I do. Feel free to comment on this matter,
just remember that I know that there are other ways.

Feel free to comment/reply on this anyway. I appreciate any of your
thoughts. If there's enough request, I might even write a Perl script
installer some day to automate all the tasks above... but don't count
on that. :-)

Have fun,
Sebastian.
0
Sebastian
7/25/2003 12:27:29 PM
In article <bihobg$93pts$2@ID-32551.news.uni-berlin.de>,
thomas@boerkel.de says...
> HI!
>
> You could use SAproxy, if you get your mail with POP3.
>
> Thomas
>
> "Dave" <spamtrap@tpsd.com> wrote in message
> > I'm interested in how to integrate it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave Lewis
> >
> > Sebastian Breier <Seba_B@gmx.net> wrote in message

> > > I have it fully integrated and it works quite well...
> > > But I still have situations in which mail identified as Spam doesn't
> > > get sorted out which I'm trying to fix right now.

I have SpamAssassin working with Mercury32 after a little playing
around.

Here is how I did it:

Follow Michael Bell's excellent guide on installing and configuring
SpamAssassin 2.55 on Win32:

http://www.openhandhome.com/howtosa250.html

If using v2.60rc2 you will also need to follow these additional notes:

http://www.openhandhome.com/howtosa260.html

Once you have configured SpamAssassin and have tested it is working OK
follow these steps:

1.	Go to /perl/bin directory

a)	Create a batch file called m32sa.bat with the following command as
its only entry:

spamassassin -e<%1>%2

b)	Ensure that you hit return after typing the command, and then save
and exit.

2.	Configure Mercury/32:

a)	Click on Configuration > Mercury Core Module Configuration >
Policy tab

b)	Click on "Add new task"

	In "Name of Task" type: 		SpamAssassin

	In "Type of Task" select: 	Run a program and examine the return
code

	In "Define Task Settings" enter the following:

o	Commandline: 	d:\perl\bin\m32sa.bat ~X ~R
o	Sentinel file:	<Leave Blank>
o	Result file:		<Leave Blank>
o	Leave all other checkboxes empty

	In "Action" select:		Forward the message to a local user
	In "Parameter" type:		<name of local user to receive spam>

c)	Click "OK" and "OK" to save and activate the policy.

3.	On Mercury/32 menu bar select "File" and "Exit" to write the
policy configuration to /MERCURY/tasks.mer

4.	If you want to be sure that Mercury/32 will always loads the task
correctly, open the tasks.mer file to check that it has the information
correctly recorded as per my sample below:

#
# Mercury/32 policy task list file
#

Task: "SpamAssassin",0,0,"d:\\perl\\bin\\m32sa.bat ~X ~R","","",0,"spam"

5.	Close the file and then right click on it, select "Properties" and
select "Read-only". Select "OK" This will ensure that your policy
doesn't get corrupted should Mercury/32 crash.

6.	Restart Mercury/32 and check that the policy is listed correctly
in Configuration > Mercury Core Module Configuration > Policy tab.

The only thing you need to do then is to configure the local.cf in
/etc/mail/spamassassin to reflect how you want SpamAssassin to behave.

Good luck,
Regards
Barry

--
Invalid email address used for posting.
To reply by email use:

When I checked the blocked files, it seems that the reason for
rejection is not included in the email.

Is there some way for Mercury or SpamAssassin to include the reason
for filtering the message, or logging the reasons to a file, in order
to check the rules?
0
mydejamail
9/3/2003 10:19:48 PM
In article <90acdc45.0309031419.159155d1@posting.google.com>,
mydejamail@yahoo.co.uk says...
> After trying out the means described for setting up SpamAssassin, I
> have got it working.
>
> When I checked the blocked files, it seems that the reason for
> rejection is not included in the email.
>
> Is there some way for Mercury or SpamAssassin to include the reason
> for filtering the message, or logging the reasons to a file, in order
> to check the rules?

Mercury should be sending a mail to the user defined from the
postmaster/admin account with the spam attached to the message. The
message will look something like:

Notice of policy exception from bpuk.net:

The attached message has caused a mail server policy exception and is
being referred to you for action.

          Message sender:  sender name
    Name of policy entry:  SpamAssassin

The policy's task generated the following diagnostic information
explaining why this message caused an exception: