how to make it so that 'delete' copies mail to mail-trash?

Hi,

I've looked around in the pine FAQ and my .pinerc but could not find the
answer to the following:

When I delete a message, it is not copied to the mail-trash file/folder, but
instead is apparently sent to /dev/null or whatever...the result is the same
: message is irrecuperable.

1.So what setting needs to be changed to make it so that 'delete' moves mail
to mail-trash?

2.Is there a way to make the trash automatically clean out old deleted
messages that are say more than 30 days old?

thanks and please don't hesitate to point me in the right direction if these
exact questions have been answered before.

Martin

comp.mail.pine 2747 articles. 0 followers. mad.engineer (2) is leader. Post Follow

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, M wrote:

> 1.So what setting needs to be changed to make it so that 'delete' moves mail
> to mail-trash?

FAQ.

http://www.zrox.net/Mail/Pine/other.html#trash

> 2.Is there a way to make the trash automatically clean out old deleted
> messages that are say more than 30 days old?

Set up a filter that acts on your trash folder. The "age interval"
parameter can be used to filter only older messages.

--
Gopi Sundaram
http://www.zrox.net/Mail/Pine/

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, M wrote:

> 1.So what setting needs to be changed to make it so that 'delete' moves mail
> to mail-trash?

Here's how I do it.

Make a folder in which to store trash (mine's called Trash on the IMAP
server).  Then set up a new filter (Main/Setup/Rules/Filters).  Call it
something like "Move deleted mail to Trash".  Set Current Folder Type to
Email, and Message is Deleted to Yes.  Set the Filter Action to Move and
specify the Trash folder (you can use Ctrl-T to navigate to it if you
want).  Save the changes and it should be working.

Try it on a couple of test messages.  Mark them as deleted and hit X to
expunge.  Instead of being expunged they'll be moved to the Trash
folder.

There's one thing I cannot understand about this however.  I wanted to
add a condition which stopped this rule from being applied *in* the
Trash folder itself.  However I don't actually need one.  If I mark any
messages as deleted in the Trash folder and expunge them, they are
deleted properly.  This is exactly the behaviour I want but I can't
understand why it happens.  Does anyone know?

> 2.Is there a way to make the trash automatically clean out old deleted
> messages that are say more than 30 days old?

No idea on that.  Be interested to know.

--
Chris
0
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Chris Lawrence wrote:

> There's one thing I cannot understand about this however.  I wanted to
> add a condition which stopped this rule from being applied *in* the
> Trash folder itself.  However I don't actually need one.  If I mark any
> messages as deleted in the Trash folder and expunge them, they are
> deleted properly.  This is exactly the behaviour I want but I can't
> understand why it happens.  Does anyone know?

Filters that move messages to folder X don't do anything when you are in
folder X, otherwise you'd have some nasty looping potential.

Steve Hubert <hubert@washington.edu>
Networks and Distributed Computing, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
0
hubert9174 (186)
12/25/2003 1:20:17 AM
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Steve Hubert wrote:

> Filters that move messages to folder X don't do anything when you are in
> folder X, otherwise you'd have some nasty looping potential.

Is that official or speculation?  It makes sense but I've never been
able to find out officially if this is the case.  The scenario I
expected was to explicitly create a filter to prevent such looping but
it is not necessary because the move to trash filter fails to work in
trash.

--
Chris
0

why: 'You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root' ?
This annoying message seems to be associated with the times when <cr> won't run mc-selected executables. The error mesg. is in that case something about 'shell is already running'. Examining the file shows the mail as being from 'Mail Delivery subsystem - daemon'. Some looks like being potentially usefull for debugging purtposes. I've got [only dial up] on this FC1 box; so where's the mail being sent from ? Can/should I disable this stuff ? Does the file 'roll-over' or fill up to infinity ? Thanks for any info, == Chris Glur. It's mail from y...

How preventing external mail from using internal 'mailing list'
Hello, I use /etc/mail/aliases to create 'manual' mailing list like all-enterprise, marketing-enterprise and specify some unix accounts. I would prevent external user (with different domain name) to use this local mailing list. For exemple : ok@domain.com can use all-entreprise@domain.com, but ko@else.com can't use all-enterprise.com. Is there any config to do this ? philippe.carbonnier wrote: > Hello, > > I use /etc/mail/aliases to create 'manual' mailing list like > all-enterprise, marketing-enterprise and specify some unix accounts. > I would preven...

Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge
Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge With me at least it doesn't. We are getting too many false positives on our bcc-mailing lists, so I decided to give the mail merge feature in PM 4.41 a go. The goal was to simultaneously send messages addressed to multiple recipients. I made a csv file containing nine of my own addresses in a column called ~kemail~, made this the data file, checked the box for the first field to be the fieldname and sent the email with the string ~kemail~ in the address box. I also attached a pdf file. PM reported a successful transaction, b...

'mail'/'sendmail' with higher priority??
Is there a way to send high priority mails to the other specific unix users, by using my unix login? I checked with the options for 'mail' and 'sendmail' and couldn't find anything relevant to it. qazmlp1209@rediffmail.com writes: > Is there a way to send high priority mails to the other specific unix > users, by using my unix login? I checked with the options for 'mail' > and 'sendmail' and couldn't find anything relevant to it. Normally, mail goes into a queue for delivery. And the queue process sends out the mail. With the right priviled...

AIX 'mail' command vs 'replyto'
Hi- We're calling the 'mail' command from a [yech] cobol program. Anyone know of a way to include a 'replyto' in the recipient's header? I'm looking thru the 'mail' and '.mailrc' docs but don't see anything? Hard to think it's not doable to I musta missed something. . . thanks in advance, Bill Edison "Bill Edison" <edison@newpaltz.edu> wrote in message news:10sdqp8sfi85lb9@corp.supernews.com... > Hi- > > We're calling the 'mail' command from a [yech] cobol program. Anyone > know of a way to ...

Any way to search in both 'To' and 'From' fields in Apple Mail with Google App's IMAP?
'Entire message' is broken with Google's IMAP and simply doesn't work at all. No results at all. It's annoying to have to use the web interface for Google App's email (i.e. Gmail using a custom domain) just to do a proper search. Any way around this? TIA, Jamie Kahn Genet -- If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate. ...

Mail won't check mail
Ihad a difficulty yesterday, and after I recovered, I found that Mail won't check mail. I send an email from my .mac account to my earthlink account and mail will not retreive it. I checked my email using the web-email and found the mail there, and some mail from others. What could cause Mail to stop retreiving mail? How can I fix it? Thanks, AndyD In article <1grf1p0.1m0bixe1503zn4N%andyda@earthlink.net>, Andy Dannelley <andyda@earthlink.net> wrote: > Ihad a difficulty yesterday, and after I recovered, I found that Mail > won't check mail. > > I send an email from my .mac account to my earthlink account and mail > will not retreive it. > > I checked my email using the web-email and found the mail there, and > some mail from others. > > What could cause Mail to stop retreiving mail? > > How can I fix it? Did you try repairing permissions? Did you check your Account settings, including advanced, to make sure that nothing was changed? Cathy -- "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel C.Stevenson, M.D. cats1921@invalidsonic.net Cathy Stevenson <cats1921@invalidsonic.net> wrote: > In article <1grf1p0.1m0bixe1503zn4N%andyda@earthlink.net>, Andy > Dannelley <andyda@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > Ihad a difficulty yesterday, and after I recovered, I found that Mail > > won't check mail. > > > > I send an email from my .mac...

'Mail' crashes
* Greetings! Whenever I move a mail file to 'Junk', the program crashes. This happens whether I am in 'Training' mode or in 'Automatic' mode. Sys X 10.3.2 G4/400 2x40Gb HD 576 MB RAM etc. Any ideas? earle * ...

'Mail' program
I'm using the 'Mail' program that comes with the MacBook. I noticed that whenever I do a search for any keyword, it always has zero matches. I think maybe it's not indexing stuff or something. Anyone know how to fix this? It would be nice to be able to search my mail. Thanks. bob smith <bob@coolfone.comze.com> writes: > I'm using the 'Mail' program that comes with the MacBook. > > I noticed that whenever I do a search for any keyword, it always has zero matches. > > I think maybe it's not indexing stuff or something. > > Anyone know how to fix this? It would be nice to be able to search > my mail. You don't say what version of Mail you are using or what version of the operating system. But my guess is that you aren't searching the mailbox you think you are searching. In my version of mail, there is a line that begins Search: All Inbox ... near but not at the top of the mailbox viewer window. If I type a keyword into the searchbox, I can then select the region to search (often I want "All", sometimes I want "Inbox" and sometimes I want something else). You may have the wrong thing selected. On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:54:06 PM UTC-5, Doug Anderson wrote: > bob smith <bob@coolfone.comze.com> writes: > > > > > I'm using the 'Mail' program that comes with the MacBook. > > > >...

mail() '-' problem
Hi I have I problem with a function that send out mail. It works with every email-adresses except those containing "-". I have severeal groups of emails, and it send mail to every group except one, who has a mail adress with "-". In this group, no one recieve mail. Tor if (isset($_POST['send_post'])) { $epostliste=""; $epostgruppe[]=""; $sql = "SELECT * FROM grupper"; $resultat = mysql_query($sql, $tilkobling); while ($rad =mysql_fetch_array($resultat) ) { if (isset($_POST[$rad['kode']])) { $epostgruppe[]=$rad['kode']; } } if (!empty($epostgruppe[1])) { while (list($nokkel, $kode) = each($epostgruppe)) { if ( !empty($kode)) { $sql = "SELECT * FROM brukere WHERE tilgang LIKE '%".$kode."%'"; //echo $sql; $resultat = mysql_query($sql, $tilkobling); while ($rad =mysql_fetch_array($resultat) ) { if (strstr($rad['email'],"@")) { if (empty($epostliste)) { $epostliste=$rad['email']; } else { if (!strstr($epostliste,$rad['email'])) { $epostliste=$epostliste . "," . $rad['email']; } } } } } } } if (!empty($_POST['andre']) && strstr($_POST['andre'],"@")) { $epostliste= $_POST['andre'] . "," . $epostliste; } $headers = "From: hilde.doksrod@ikos.uio.no\r\n"; $headers ....

How do I get rid of Mail's 'suggestions'
Actually, not me, my mother. She once typed my email address wrongly into Mail's 'To' field. Now, if she starts to type my address in that field (I'm trying to get her to use the address book instead), the programme brings up a list of everything she's ever typed there starting with the letter 'S', with the incorrect address at the top of the list. She forgets that this address is wrong, selects it, and wonders why her email bounces. Where are these 'suggestions' stored? Is there a preference I can disable or a file a can trash to get rid of them, or, at le...

can't send mail using mail()
hello, i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but the parameters already had value. do you know what is wrong? thank you fasisi wrote: > hello, > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > the parameters already had value. > > do you know what is wrong? > > thank you Sorry, my crystal ball is broken. I can't see your code. Try posting your code so we can see what might be wrong. -- ================== Remove the "x" from my email address Jerry Stuckle JDS Computer Training Corp. jstucklex@attglobal.net ================== On Mar 16, 8:14=A0pm, Jerry Stuckle <jstuck...@attglobal.net> wrote: > fasisi wrote: > > hello, > > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > > the parameters already had value. > > > do you know what is wrong? > > > thank you > > Sorry, my crystal ball is broken. =A0I can't see your code. > > Try posting your code so we can s...

Junk Mail database in Apple's Mail
Hi groups, two questions concerning the subject: 1. Where is it actually located (what file or files or whatever)? 2. Does it get updated whenever Mail is in the "Automatic" not the "Training" mode? Thanks for clues. In article <bo6kja$19g3sl$4@ID-200323.news.uni-berlin.de>, Patryk ´┐Żogiewa <silverdr@inet.pl> wrote: :> Hi groups, :> :> two questions concerning the subject: :> :> 1. Where is it actually located (what file or files or whatever)? :> :> 2. Does it get updated whenever Mail is in the "Automatic" not the :>...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM "FabienM" <FabienM@badadress.fr> writes: > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom of the screen and none of the body content should be visible any more. When you're done, double-click on it again. Or drag it instead of double-clicking on it. -- Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed. No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow? http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting > > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... > > double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages > from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom > of the screen and none of the body content should be visible > any more. fabulous !!! it's crazy how a double-click can save your life... :) t...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

Mail.app deletes mail when deleting account
In Mail.app, in Preferences, in the Accounts panel, there is a list of accounts. I had a POP account there I no longer in use. I used the Remove button to delete the old account. But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved earlier into that email address. Yet that seems to be what happened. At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in my_home/Library/Mail. There were a number of messages organized into various folders. Now they are gone. These mail messages were not sitting on a server, they were on my Mac. Is Mail supposed to do ...

Inbox doesn't have mails, webclient shows mails
Hi, I am unable to see any emails in my inbox. However, the webclient for the same account shows me all my emails. 95% of the time, I use MS Outlook Express as the email client using its IMAP server. I donot understand why I am not able to see emails in my inbox. The only thing I see are the new mails. ie. if I login remotely onto the server, I don't see any emails, but during the period I am logged in, if I get any mails, I can see them. I tried seeing the configuration settings and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Atleast I didn't change anything. Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks, Prem. On 16 Jun 2006 19:19:07 -0700, premgrps@gmail.com <premgrps@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I am unable to see any emails in my inbox. However, the webclient > for the same account shows me all my emails. 95% of the time, I use MS > Outlook Express as the email client using its IMAP server. > I donot understand why I am not able to see emails in my inbox. The > only thing I see are the new mails. ie. if I login remotely onto the > server, I don't see any emails, but during the period I am logged in, > if I get any mails, I can see them. Some of the mail clients copy all mails to a local folder and delete them on the server. Check Outlook Express for any setting indicating this. Andreas Thanks, but I am using an IMAP server, not POP which does that. Even if I use POP, I set it to "leave messages on server". Tha...

Subscription setting 'No e-mail': Doesn't work !
Hi all, I switched my subscription setting to "No e-mail" but I still receive an e-mail everyday. Does one know how I could reach the google technical support ? Thanks! Catherine. ...

'Time Out' when sending Mail
Hi, I have been using Pegasus for many years and have some 40+ customers also using it so I am used to providing support. For the past fortnight or so I have been having major problems with my own setup in-as-much-as I am unable to send any e-mails if they contain more than one line of text. ie. if the body is simply :- 'test' then out it goes no problem, but if I write :- 'this is a multi-line test' it tries to send but times out and eventually gives me an error message something like:- [*] Connection established to 194.247.47.231 >> 0077 2...

'blank' e-mail
Eudora 6.2.3.4. Rec'd an e-mail that's a Yahoo e-vite. Message is blank. Right click, view source is disabled. Right click and Send to Browser works. Any ideas? I can put a portion of the code up on a website. Thanks. Evan -- To reply, remove TheObvious from my e-mail address. In article <ao0gd1lkd6hmfk8tcppaeae62saarbf3dm@4ax.com>, evan@theobvious.espphotography.com says... > Eudora 6.2.3.4. > Rec'd an e-mail that's a Yahoo e-vite. Message is blank. Right click, > view source is disabled. Right click and Send to Browser works. > Any ideas? I can put a portion of the code up on a website. Try: Are these legitimate messages. My guess is that they are malformed SPAM messages. If that's the case, it's not worth pursuing it any further. So, are the message Legitimate or SPAM? -- Over and Out Daniel Jacobson On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:41:09 -0000, daniel12@iadfw.net (Daniel Jacobson) wrote: > Try: > Are these legitimate messages. My guess is that they are malformed > SPAM messages. If that's the case, it's not worth pursuing it any > further. So, are the message Legitimate or SPAM? They're yahoo e-vites. At least the few that I've had are legit, otherwise I could care less. I see the same thing (well, I'm guessing) on spam, where my SpamAssassin shows scores (i.e. "HTML 10-20%, MESSAGE CONTAINS "MAKE MONEY", etc) but the ...

I don't know why but sometimes, this software 'forget' one or a few mails
Hello, I wrote a tool which read an outlook folder and save the mails to the hard disk (in .msg files) Here below one of the main sub of my tool. I don't know why but sometimes, this software 'forget' one or a few mails .... For instance : 24 mails in the folder but only 22 are saved. Any idea ? Thanks a lot ________________________________________________________________________ Public Sub save_mails(Optional PathName As String) Dim oOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim oNs As Outlook.NameSpace Dim oFldr As Outlook.MAPIFolder Dim oMessage As Object Dim...

How to find Mail server and sender's mail id automatically ?
Hello there How can I automatically detect mail server confiured on local machine by programmtically ? Is there any way to find out mail server ! As well as I want to find the mail address of sender automatically ( whihc is configured for MS Outlook) My aim is to send mail using one component. But I just don't want to ask user to type mail server and his mail id ( From : --- ). My program would automate this job, choose correct mail server and send the mail. On 27 Feb 2005 23:12:52 -0800, ajay.sonawane@gmail.com wrote: >Hello there >How can I automatically detect mail ...

Web resources about - how to make it so that 'delete' copies mail to mail-trash? - comp.mail.pine