Mail and mail directories

I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server).
Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail,
and both directories seem to contain identical copies of
all my folders.  Is there a configuration option that will
ensure that pine maintains only one such directory?

Thanks
Jay

0
jayg (2)
4/3/2004 7:35:41 PM
comp.mail.pine 2747 articles. 0 followers. mad.engineer (2) is leader. Post Follow

*** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...:

:) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems
:) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both
:) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders.  Is
:) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only
:) one such directory?

Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is
possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it
won't.

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/
0
chappa (956)
4/3/2004 8:04:10 PM

Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?,

No. The directories are not symbolically linked.
They always seem to have the same date/time stamp.

A search for the word "Mail" in my pinerc file showed
one match in the following line:
	folder-collections=Mail /jayg/mail/[]
But I thought the first option here is a label, not to
be interpreted as a file name. Right?
Jay

0
jayg (2)
4/4/2004 4:34:36 PM
*** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...:

:)
:) > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in
:) comp.mail.pine...:
:) >
:) > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine
:) > :) seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and
:) > :) both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my
:) > :) folders.  Is there a configuration option that will ensure that
:) > :) pine maintains only one such directory?
:)
:) Eduardo Chappa wrote:
:)
:) > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?,
:)
:) No. The directories are not symbolically linked. They always seem to
:) have the same date/time stamp.
:)
:) A search for the word "Mail" in my pinerc file showed one match in the
:) following line:
:)         folder-collections=Mail /jayg/mail/[]
:) But I thought the first option here is a label, not to
:) be interpreted as a file name. Right?

Yes, I agree. I don't know what's happening. It seems to be that your
provider patched Pine. Pine uses "mail" by default, unless someone
modifies it to use "Mail". My advice is that you ask your provider about
this (or build your own version of Pine).

Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/
0
chappa (956)

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

Reading e-mail from directories other than ~/mail
I've stored some mail files from my ISP elsewhere, on a CD and on my hard disk, and I can't find out how to read these files in pine. I tried pine -h for help, and then pine -f, pine -F, and pine -P, and read the FAQ at www.washington.edu/pine, but I can't figure out how to do this. Jim O'Reilly On 29 Jun 2005, Jim O'Reilly wrote: > > I've stored some mail files from my ISP elsewhere, on a CD and on my hard > disk, and I can't find out how to read these files in pine. I tried pine -h > for help, and then pine -f, pine -F, and pine -P, and read the FAQ at > www.washington.edu/pine, but I can't figure out how to do this. You need to set up a Pine local "collection" that points to the appropriate directory. To do this, type: MSLA which means: Main > Setup > collectionList > Add I have details about this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more > > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < < *** NM Public (eagorae@nm.deflexion.comet) wrote in comp.mail.pine today: :) On 29 Jun 2005, Jim O'Reilly wrote: :) > :) > I've stored some mail files from my ISP elsewhere, on a CD an...

PC Pine: How to change the default mail directory from c:\mail to x:\foo.bar -nt
Thanks. -- Peace Through Superior Firepower, Astroguy -- Famous Quotation from genius: "No you fucking lame ass homo, steam tanks can kill/attack anything in the game." - Scott (scottp@columbus.rr.com) - alt.games.warcraft (RoC) "A MK without his's mana is like a harmless little footman." - Dextr0 on replayers.com Check out http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/ and specifically http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setEnvVars ...

Filing mail, mailing lists, sub-directories
I'm trying to find a way to ease the following: From my .muttrc lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in: =Linux/dundee rather than the default when I press 's': =dundee I don't particularly want to go down the multiple mailboxes/procmail route. Is there any other way to do it? I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing. For instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com, ra...

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I can synchronize the mail on both machines? Failing that, is there a way -- besides doing it message-by-message -- to save the text and attachments from new mail messages? Problem two: Though by all means I can understand, both PBs are set up exactly the same way and certainly the mail prefs are the same, when I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at home, it opens Firefox to the correct page, just like it ought to do, but if I click on an HTML link in a message on my PB at the shop, the mail window flashes once, but nothing opens. Both PBs are set up with Firefox as the default browser. What in the ding-dong am I doing wrong? Thanks! Bart Brown ...

Vacation mail with mail.app
Here is a script I wrote for vacation notices; it will send the notice only once to each person you receive mail from. I suggest running it after any rules to file mailing list items into folders, so that it doesn't send vacation mail notices to the lists. The actual notice is sent by the rule; the script is what keeps the rule from sending more than one notice to any given address. First set up an address-book group named "Vacation" Then set up a rule with the criterion "If sender is not a member of group Vacation" Set up the actions Reply to Message Run Applescript (choose the following script to be run) Note 1: I have not fully tested this script, but I believe that it will work properly. Note 2: The script assumes that if the sender's name has three words, they are first, middle, and last; that there is no prefix (such as "Dr.") or suffix (such as "Jr."). It also assumes that if the sender's name has more than three words, the first and second words are the first and middle names, and the last word is the last name. tell application "Mail" perform mail action with messages messages_to_process for rule "vacation" repeat with message_to_process in messages_to_process set the_sender to the sender of the message_to_process my add_to_list(my parse_the_sender(the_sender)) end repeat end tell to add_to_list({FN, MN, LN, email_sender}) tell application "Add...

Mail refuses to get mail
2 weeks ago I noticed that Mail.app didn't get the mail from 1 of my 2 IMAP accounts (set to collect mail every 5 minutes). The other account, on the same server continued working normally. The problem was solved after a reboot. Yesterday the other account was stuck in the same way. This time a relaunch of Mail.app sufficed. Strange and nasty problem. Anyone experiencing similar problems? Any permanent solutions except switching to another e-mail client? (I am considering Thunderbird now). System: Intel iMac, 24", 2.8 GHz, 4 Gb RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.1 Mail 4.1 -- Zala zala(a...

mail junk-mail rule
For some reason, the junk mail rule is not working for one of my accounts--my primary account. If I reset the junk mail settings, it will work and properly mark a portion of the mail as junk mail, but after as I start to train it to recognize other junk mail, it stops identifying any of that mail as junk mail. Checking or unchecking the options for sender in my address book, previous recipients, or message is sent to my full name does not have any effect. This problem does not happen with my other accounts, though. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this problem? -- Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush. ...

mail.app does not fetch mail
Hi: For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via pine on the shell account at the isp. Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the mailers I have around seem to support ssl. Any help greatly appreciated! Eric In article <250120041742285724%UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie>, Eric Rainey <UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie> wrote: > Hi: > For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my > pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or > the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via > pine on the shell account at the isp. > Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a > little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. > I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the > mailers I have around seem to support ssl. > Any help greatly appreciated! > Eric Same thing's been happening with my version of Mail.app, v. 1.2.5. Problems started a few days ago when checking my DotMac account. The mailbox soon went dim. Under the Mailbox Menu, I noticed the DotMac account was Offline. Restorin...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM "FabienM" <FabienM@badadress.fr> writes: > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom of the screen and none of the body content should be visible any more. When you're done, double-click on it again. Or drag it instead of double-clicking on it. -- Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks. The rest gets trashed. No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html Are you posting responses that are easy for others to follow? http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting > > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... > > double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages > from the body of the message. It should jump to the bottom > of the screen and none of the body content should be visible > any more. fabulous !!! it's crazy how a double-click can save your life... :) t...

Release mail in the Mail.box
Hello, I'm knid of new to Notes admin, I have some mail in the mail.box waiting to go out. Is there a way I can force the messages to go out? I had some firewall issues, but the firewall issues are taken care of and now I need to get the mail out. Thanks, d ...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

mail() goes to Junk Mail
Hi, I tried to send email from my server using mail() but the email goes to @xyz.com junk mail folders. Why is that so? How can I fix it? Thank you, --Andre Phandana On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:53:18 -0500, "Andre Phandana" <aphandan@purdue.edu> wrote: >Hi, I tried to send email from my server using mail() but the email goes to >@xyz.com junk mail folders. >Why is that so? Have you asked the mail administrator of xyz.com? >How can I fix it? There's the flippant answer of "don't send junk", but it might be better if you posted an example of how you're sending your email and an example of its contents. -- Andy Hassall / <andy@andyh.co.uk> / <http://www.andyh.co.uk> <http://www.andyhsoftware.co.uk/space> Space: disk usage analysis tool "Andre Phandana" wrote: > Hi, I tried to send email from my server using mail() but the email > goes to > @xyz.com junk mail folders. > Why is that so? > How can I fix it? > > Thank you, > > --Andre Phandana There are some ways mail receivers determine an email to be "junk". Avaoid using numbers in the email address. Make sure the receiver can do a "reverse DNS lookup", i.e. send the mail from proper domain. It is true that with today�s junk mail filters, very many legit emails end up there as well. -- http://www.dbForumz.com/ This article was posted by author's request Articles individually ch...

sending mail otherthan mail()
Hello everyone, My server admin has blocked the mail() due to some spam problems. I need to send emails using php. Can anyone guide me to the best method of sending emails using php without using mail(). If there is any tweak to be done at the server level I will be able to convince the admin. The server has linux Enterprice edition 3 with php 4.3.11 and cpanel/whm. Please guide me to the method and i will be able to collect other information about it from google. Thanks Jaunty Edward smilesinblues@gmail.com wrote: > My server admin has blocked the mail() due to some spam problems. I > need to send emails using php. Can anyone guide me to the best method > of sending emails using php without using mail(). So getting an alternative to mail() will simply circumvent the "antispam fix". On unix, mail() is nothing more than a wrapper to a local sendmail program, on win32 it's a wrapper that communicates to a smtp daemon. So either you can do yourself (exec()/sockets) or use on of the classes to be found on the usual sites (phpclasses/hostscritps)... Thank daniel, are you saying that if i will use classes like libmail. I will be able to send emails using php. I don't know what the server admin is going to do with the spam problem. But will I be able to send emails using classes. Thanks once again. Jaunty smilesinblues@gmail.com wrote: > are you saying that if i will use classes like libmail. I will be able > to send emails using php....

Mail.app
I lost some mail today. I had dragged a couple of folders to a new location. When I looked in the folders, it appeared the mail was there but everything was empty. I tried rebuilding the folders and the headers disappeared as well. At that point I was pretty desperate. Most of the mail was from today and would not be on my backup. I restarted the computer and rebuilt the folders again. Low-and-behold, most of the mail came back but not all of it and I am still missing a couple of items I can not afford to lose. So, what did I do, so I can avoid doing it again? How can ...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Mail hiding mail
hi! I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast, too. But... I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail. As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I looked at the message body it read, in italics: " The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take ...

Pending Mail-Mail.box
I'm running Domino 6.5 and Windows2000 on my SMTP server. I'm getting a few complaints that internet email, inbound and outbound, sometimes takes 10 or more hours to deliver. I have 2 mail.box'es. I open them and they have email that is more than 24 hours old that is still Pending. IBM support keeps telling me thats normal. That doesn't make sense to me. Shouldn't mail.box be continually cearling itself out? What should I be looking at? buckeyedave84@hotmail.com (BuckeyeDave) wrote: >I'm running Domino 6.5 and Windows2000 on my SMTP server. I'm...

Web resources about - Mail and mail directories - comp.mail.pine

Avicenna Directories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Between 2000-2007, the WHO published the directory electronically, along with updates received after the 2000 print publication. In August 2007, ...

To Complement Its Search Engine, Facebook Launches People, Pages, and Places Directories
Facebook is now closer than ever to becoming the phone book for the internet. The site recently launched a Directory of people , Pages , and ...

Directories
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Princess Diana leaked royal directories to Murdoch tabloid, court hears
The former royal editor of Rupert Murdoch's now defunct British tabloid the News of the World told a court on Thursday that the late Princess ...

Telstra slashes 800 jobs from directories arm Sensis
TELSTRA is slashing 800 jobs from its struggling directories arm Sensis just one month after the telco giant sold a 70 per cent stake in the ...

Government To Stop Publishing Contact Information In Blue Pages Of Phone Directories
... has decided to stop publishing contact information for all of its departments and agencies in the blue pages section of telephone directories.A ...

File System Programming Guide: Accessing Files and Directories
Explains how to create and manage files and directories.

Fixing directories
Web directories are one of the key points of differentiation between plans on the Exchanges. A single company can offer half a dozen networks ...

Welcome to SBJ Local Directories
... newsletters, events, print subscription, digital subscription or other special offers. Welcome to Sacramento Business Journal's local directories. ...

Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch Guides - Directories and guides
The Bradenton Herald is your source for Bradenton and Lakewood Ranch directories and guides.