mail not sent to some in mailing lists

When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me
that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this:

    Darien DeLu <con@macnexus.org>,
    David Casselman <davis@ix.netcom.com>,
    Deen Eber <deeber@comcast.net>, Dirk De Lu <dirk4@padise.net.nz>,
    Doug Henry <dahenry@gmail.com>,

In the address book, addresses are listed one per line with commas at the
end. As you can see, above Dirk De Lu appears under Bcc: as the second
entry on one line with  a space after the comma.

When this happens, it appears Dirk does not receive a copy of the email.
I do not know what causes this to occur sometimes and not others, with no
changes in the original alias or mailing list - or whether this 2 entry
per line format prevents some from getting emails.

Any ideas what is going wrong - besides suggesting I use a mass mailer
instead of alpine?
0
Howard
2/19/2013 9:52:52 PM
comp.mail.pine 2747 articles. 0 followers. mad.engineer (2) is leader. Post Follow

Le 19 f�vrier 2013, Howard Schwartz a �crit :

> When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me
> that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this:
>
>    Darien DeLu <con@macnexus.org>,
>    David Casselman <davis@ix.netcom.com>,
>    Deen Eber <deeber@comcast.net>, Dirk De Lu <dirk4@padise.net.nz>,
>    Doug Henry <dahenry@gmail.com>,
>
> In the address book, addresses are listed one per line with commas at the
> end. As you can see, above Dirk De Lu appears under Bcc: as the second
> entry on one line with  a space after the comma.
>
> When this happens, it appears Dirk does not receive a copy of the email.
> I do not know what causes this to occur sometimes and not others,

Do you mean Dirk is always a "second entry" but sometimes receives a copy
and sometimes not? Or do you mean he is sometimes the single entry on a
line?

Isn't having several entries per line a line-wrapping matter?

> with no changes in the original alias or mailing list - or whether this
> 2 entry per line format prevents some from getting emails.
>
> Any ideas what is going wrong - besides suggesting I use a mass mailer
> instead of alpine?

Couldn't this be a buggy SMTP server? Do you use several of them?

--
LL
0
On 2013-02-20, Lucas Levrel <lucas.levrel@u-pec.fr> wrote:
> Le 19 f?vrier 2013, Howard Schwartz a ?crit :
>
>> When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me
>> that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this:
>>
>>    Darien DeLu <con@macnexus.org>,
>>    David Casselman <davis@ix.netcom.com>,
>>    Deen Eber <deeber@comcast.net>, Dirk De Lu <dirk4@padise.net.nz>,
>>    Doug Henry <dahenry@gmail.com>,
>>
>> In the address book, addresses are listed one per line with commas at the
>> end. As you can see, above Dirk De Lu appears under Bcc: as the second
>> entry on one line with  a space after the comma.

It may be that that space is being handed on to the actual mail trasfer
program as part of the name, and is thus confusing the mail recipient at
the other end.

Is it being sent out from your machine? (You do not say what your
operating system is. In Linux you could look in /var/log/syslog to see
if the mail is actually being sent out to that recipient or not.

I just tried it on my old pine-4.64 and it was sent out fine.

>> When this happens, it appears Dirk does not receive a copy of the email.
>> I do not know what causes this to occur sometimes and not others,
>
> Do you mean Dirk is always a "second entry" but sometimes receives a copy
> and sometimes not? Or do you mean he is sometimes the single entry on a
> line?
>
> Isn't having several entries per line a line-wrapping matter?

Usually pine automatically put the addresses as one per line.

>> with no changes in the original alias or mailing list - or whether this
>> 2 entry per line format prevents some from getting emails.
>>
>> Any ideas what is going wrong - besides suggesting I use a mass mailer
>> instead of alpine?
>
> Couldn't this be a buggy SMTP server? Do you use several of them?

0
unruh
2/20/2013 6:46:19 PM
On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:52:52 PM UTC-7, howardb wrote:
> When I send mail to a long mailing list, sent mail sometimes shows me=20
>=20
> that the BCC line contains 2 addresses per line like this:

This has to do with screen width, if you narrow the width enough, addresses=
 should be one per line
>=20
> Any ideas what is going wrong - besides suggesting I use a mass mailer=20

In order to investigate this, enable

[X]  Enable Verbose SMTP Posting,

then repeat the experience, and look into the journal (from the main screen=
) or the .pine-debug file to see how that address is being handled. Sometim=
es these issues are caused by spaces that are not such, such as non breakin=
g spaces, so rewriting the address from scratch in the addressbook might fi=
x the issue.

--=20
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine

Alpine 2.10 released at http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/info/alpine.html
0
chappa
2/21/2013 7:39:23 AM
chappa@washington.edu wrote in

> Sometimes these issues are caused by spaces that are not such, such as
> non breaking spaces, so rewriting the address from scratch in the
> addressbook might fix the issue.

I will try the debug and verbose smtp. I thought of the spaces in the
addressbook, but examined it closely and there are no extra spaces there.
In the addressbook, each address takes up only one line with no spaces.

The 2 entries to a line with space only shows up in the sentmail version
of the email, and when that happens the entry that is the second on a
line does not get delivered.

This is being sent from windows XP sp3 to a gmail smtp server. It is
possible the server is doing something funny with the mailing list. But I
would imagine the sentmail file copies mail to my local directory BEFORE
it sends it to the server, yes?

I tried to examine gmails online `sent' folder, and discovered another
charming gmail eccentricity: It does not show multiple recipients to you
in the headers of its sent mail, and it always keeps its own sent copy of
mail its server sends out. There may be some kind of log or something
gmail has, but I have no idea how to get at it as an non-priviliged user.

0
Howard
2/23/2013 9:13:53 PM
Lucas Levrel <lucas.levrel@u-pec.fr> wrote in

> Couldn't this be a buggy SMTP server? Do you use several of them?

I am sending to a gmail smtp server from windows xp sp3. I doubt the
server is at fault, since my local sentmail, I imagine copies an email
BEFORE it sends it to the server. gmail does not show you multiple
recipients within its on line sent label, so it is difficult to trace
what the server is doing.

> Do you mean Dirk is always a "second entry" but sometimes receives a >
> copy and sometimes not? Or do you mean he is sometimes the single
> entry on a line?

No. On lines that have 2 email entries per line, the second entry in
that kind of line never gets sent. Single entries on their own line
always get sent.

0
Howard
2/23/2013 9:18:00 PM
On Feb 23, 2:13=A0pm, Howard Schwartz <howard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The 2 entries to a line with space only shows up in the sentmail version
> of the email, and when that happens the entry that is the second on a
> line does not get delivered.

This sounds like an issue with the smtp server, what you have to look
in the communication with the server is the output of the RCPT
command. Do not worry about the headers of the message as you see
them, but look at the communication of Alpine with the server.

> This is being sent from windows XP sp3 to a gmail smtp server. It is
> possible the server is doing something funny with the mailing list. But I
> would imagine the sentmail file copies mail to my local directory BEFORE
> it sends it to the server, yes?

No, Alpine delivers the message to the smtp server, as is written to
the sent-mail folder, before it is sent. However, the headers you see
in the message, are not SMTP envelope headers. The encapsulation of
headers is done through the conversation of Alpine and the SMTP
server, before these headers are sent to the server. That's why you
need to enable the feature I mentioned before and look at the log of
that conversation, to see what the output of the conversation is.

> I tried to examine gmails online `sent' folder, and discovered another
> charming gmail eccentricity: It does not show multiple recipients to you
> in the headers of its sent mail, and it always keeps its own sent copy of
> mail its server sends out. There may be some kind of log or something
> gmail has, but I have no idea how to get at it as an non-priviliged user.

You will probably not find the problem in any sent-mail folder. Look
at the log of the conversation.

--
Eduardo
http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/

Alpine 2.10 released at http://patches.freeiz.com/alpine/info/alpine.html
0
Eduardo

Mails sent mail to internal people are sent to their Internet mail address
Hi. When people in our company send mail messages to others in our company's directory Lotus Notes sends directly to the Internet. Since our Domino server is not yet configured as an SMTP relay, our fellows use Notes 6 client to read their Notes mailbox and send mails directly to the Internet. They all have a pop3 account by our ISP that they must read from their Notes client. Our Domino R6 server is installed on a Linux machine on which I have no control. Notes R6 clients use replication to read their mail from their ISP pop3 account. I'd like Lotus Notes R6 clients to...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

Mercury Mail Mailing List
I'm trying to set up a mailing list with Mercury /32 v4 and I'm having problems. I hope this is the right place to seek help. To the best of my knowledge, I created the list correctly. I added a couple of accounts to the subscription list. However, when I send a message to the list, it never gets distributed, and the sending account gets a bounce back email stating that "the user doesn't exist". So.. my questions are: 1. Does the mailing list address have to exist as a user account in Mercury? During my trouble-shooting, I thought that it might, so I created the user account using the same email address as the list. No more "unable to deliver" messages, but still the message never gets distributed. So now I assume that it SHOULD NOT exist. 2. Do I need the MercuryE module loaded, or will the mailing list feature work with MercuryC? I need to use MercuryC since my ISP is blocking mail servers. 3, I tried loading the MercuryB module to see if I could get the web management working, but when I try to subscribe to the existing list, it tells me that it doesn't exist. (perhaps that's a clue to the problem?) I'm stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks. Scott ...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error message when attempting to check for mail, just the dialogue box telling me I have no new mail. The small circle that appears in the lower right corner of the status bar turns as it normally does when the program checks for mail, then in about 2 seconds the dialogue box appears to say I have no new mail. Any suggestions for fixing this problem? Thanks, Dave. Dave <dtkipp@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless > network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it > would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have > no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser > on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set > identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

Synchronize local sent-mail with IMAP folder sent-mail
Hi Guys I have almost set pine the way I would like to, the only thing I can't figure out is how to configure pine to make sure my local sent-mail and IMAP folder sent-mail have the same contents. I can access the IMAP folder through the web client or pine, so i want to make sure that when I use the web client, my IMAP folder sent-mail still has all the mails sent through Pine. Thanks Sur 2006-05-27, saqibbs@gmail.com skribis: > Hi Guys and Gals :-) > I can access the IMAP folder through the web client or pine, so > i want to make sure that when I use the web client, my IM...

Mail erases mail?
Using Apple's Mail 1.3.9 on Panther: I had two email accounts and, in Prefs > Accounts, unchecked Enable for one of them. All the mail in my inbox from that account promptly disappeared! Is there any way to get it back? -- John Rethorst jrethorst at post dot com In article <noone-B571F2.18450825092004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>, John Rethorst <noone@nowhere.net> wrote: > Using Apple's Mail 1.3.9 on Panther: I had two email accounts and, in Prefs > > Accounts, unchecked Enable for one of them. All the mail in my inbox from > that account promptly disap...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to "...

Junk mail in Mail
With Mail out of the training mode & in Automatic mode, does Mail remember the messages you mark as Junk? Or, do you have to go back to training mode to tell Mail what is junk? Because after training mode, I still get some junk mail & mark it as junk, & I'm wondering if Mail remembers that, as if it were in training mode. On 2007-05-29 13:28:36 -0400, One4All <dwerner@bresnan.net> said: > With Mail out of the training mode & in Automatic mode, does Mail > remember the messages you mark as Junk? Or, do you have to go back to > training mode to tell Mail wha...

mails in the mail queue
Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the queued mails will be delivered. Thanks for advices! Bridge wrote: > Is there a way to generate some mails in the mail queue(without > delivering them)? I want to see when starting sendmail daemon, the > queued mails will be delivered. sendmail -odq your@address < some.mail See man sendmail and doc/op/op.* about DeliveryMode. -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because ...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical cop...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instea...

Getting correct From in mailing list mail
Hi, Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this? -- Cheers, Bernard On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:41:33 +0100, Bernard El-Hagin wrote: > > Hi, > > Whenever I get e-mail from mailing lists the From field in the header > contains <name-of-list>-owner@blah.blah instead of the actual author's > address. Is this a Mutt thing, and if so how can I change this? That's ...

Save mail to mailing list mailbox?
Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with the name of the mailing list? Thanks. Dave Feustel dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: > Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with > the name of the mailing list? I use fcc-save-hooks for this, one for each mailing list, e.g., fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-dev"' +Lists/mutt-dev fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-users"' +Lists/mutt-users -- Gary Johnson Gary Johnson <garyjohn@eskimo.com> wrote: > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: >>...

mail() returns false but mail is sent
I'm doing a bit of work for a guy and on his system the mail() function always returns false, but the mail is sent. Anyone come across this? Any ideas what is causing it and how to fix it? -- Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email) It's only Usenet, no one dies. My opinions, not the committee's, mine. Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/ Geoff Berrow wrote: > I'm doing a bit of work for a guy and on his system the mail() function > always returns false, but the mail is sent. > > Anyone come across this? Any ideas what is causing it and how to fix > i...

Why is SpamWatch is junking my mail from a mailing list?
Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Along the same lines, is there any way to create a log file of what filters cause a message to do what it does? Ideally, there would be a record of the message Sender, Subject and what rule(s) it fired. Thanks, Jay Shilstone James Shilstone <shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote: > Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam > scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe > to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to > the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that > list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the > messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at > 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I > can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Does you ISP do any spam filtering that puts x-header...

Help With FBSD Mail/Mail list.
Hi. I use Pine for my mail client, I also subscribe to the FBSD mailing list. The stable list, The Ports List and the Questions list. I'm not much help on these list, but I learn allot from reading the mail. I use "fetchmail" to get the mail from my ISP's server. Here is my fetchmail ============================ set daemon 600 set postmaster Timmy14 set logfile ./.fetchmail.log poll smtp.my mail server. proto pop3 user Timmy14 pass xxxxxxxxxxxx mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail -d %T" fetchall flush ========================== Here is my procmail ========================= PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:. MAILDIR=$HOME/mail # You'd better make sure it exists DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail :0fw: spamassassin.lock | /usr/local/bin/spamassassin :0 # Anything from questions@freebsd.org * ^TO_*questions@freebsd.org questions # will go to $MAILDIR/questions :0 # Anything from freebsd-ports@freebsd.org. * ^TO_*freebsd-ports@freebsd.org Ports # will go to $MAILDIR/Ports :0 # Anything from freebsd-stable@freebsd.org * ^TO_*freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable # will go to $MAILDIR/Stable :0 Whc: msgid.lock | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache #prevent duplicate messages :0 a: duplicates #but store them inst...

Web resources about - mail not sent to some in mailing lists - comp.mail.pine

Wikipedia:Mailing lists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The projects of the Wikimedia Foundation have a number of mailing lists which are open to anyone who subscribes and a few private mailing lists ...

Electronic mailing list - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An electronic mailing list is a special usage of email that allows for widespread distribution of information to many Internet users. It is similar ...

Please Be My Valentine - Loveland Chamber Valentine Re-Mailing Program - YouTube
In its 64th year, the Loveland Chamber of Commerce's Valentine Re-Mailing Program featured a variety of volunteer stampers - or should we say ...

Origin Energy to start charging fee for mailing paper bills - HeraldSun Search Search
ELECTRICITY and gas goliath Origin Energy will soon slug customers for receiving paper bills in the mail.

Mailing List - Q&A - ABC TV
Subscribe to the Q&A Mailing List

Tories want committee to investigate recovery of NDP mailing costs
Conservatives on the committee charged with looking into the NDP's alleged misuse of House resources have filed a formal request for a special ...

NDP says it's being subjected to 'unprecedented attack' over partisan mailings - CTV News
... it's being subjected to an 'unprecedented attack' by the majority Conservatives after being ordered to repay $1.17 million for improper mailings. ...

Conservatives Face Questions About Taxpayer-Funded Mailings
The Conservative Party may have problems of its own when it comes to inappropriate taxpayer-funded mailings, according to documents obtained ...

‘Mailing kids‘ service emerging for Chunyun
‘Mailing kids‘ service emerging for Chunyun

How-To: Keep up with Swift’s mailing list easily with Hirundo for Mac OS X
If you’ve been following any of the Swift mailing lists and have begun to feel overwhelmed with the amount of conversations passing through, ...