Managing mailing lists

I am subscribed to a number of mailing lists and at the moment these all
go into my inbox where I read them.  I've decided to implement some
filter rules to shuttle the lists off to different folders, and then add
those folders to my incoming-folders.

However I'm having problems with the filters.  To be exact I've only
added one list so far so haven't checked this behaviour with more lists.

If I tell the filter to match To pattern = address@of.list then the
messages fail to move to the dedicated folder.  I've checked and double
checked, the list items are definitely going to the address I've used in
the filter.  There is no Resent-To: header present.

If I change the filter so it filters on Subject pattern = [ListName]
then the filter works and the messages are filtered.  Each message on
this list has [ListName] prepended to the Subject: header.

I'm using Pine and PC-Pine 4.61 with a shared remote config.

Question 1 - any ideas why the filter is not working using the To:
header?

Question 2 - is there a way to say 'run filters now' in Pine?  It seems
that opening another folder then going back to the inbox does it but
this is messy.

Question 3 - having done some research for previous questions about this
I found Eduardo commenting that having incoming folders in the main mail
folder is bad practice, and I tend to agree.  On a box with ~/mail and
other folders this is easy to manage.

However my mailbox is sitting on an IMAP server.  I have
incoming-folders (for another ISP's inbox) and my IMAP mailbox as a
collection.  Any folders I create to hold mailing lists are also visible
in the folder collection.  I know I can hide them or even just name them
all using a set pattern (eg list-aardvarks, list-security, etc] but is
there any way to actually structure things a bit neater?  A second
mailbox feels like an even worse kludge.

Many thanks.

--
Chris
0

*** Chris Lawrence (barnews03@holosys.co.uk.invalidma) wrote in...:

:) Question 1 - any ideas why the filter is not working using the To:
:) header?

Some servers, like Courier, do not handle filtering by To correctly, so a
filter by this pattern fails. If this is your case, try adding "/loser" to
the definition of your server (e.g.
your.imap.server/loser/ssl/user=yourid). A warning: in practice this makes
Pine download all headers of all messages, which will slow down Pine
significantly in slow connections and/or big folders.

:) Question 2 - is there a way to say 'run filters now' in Pine?  It seems
:) that opening another folder then going back to the inbox does it but
:) this is messy.

Hmm... I don't think so. If I recall correctly, filters are executed when
the folder is opened, when it is closed, or when new mail arrives.

:) Question 3 - having done some research for previous questions about
:) this I found Eduardo commenting that having incoming folders in the
:) main mail folder is bad practice, and I tend to agree.  On a box with
:) ~/mail and other folders this is easy to manage.
:)
:) However my mailbox is sitting on an IMAP server.  I have
:) incoming-folders (for another ISP's inbox) and my IMAP mailbox as a
:) collection.  Any folders I create to hold mailing lists are also
:) visible in the folder collection.  I know I can hide them or even just
:) name them all using a set pattern (eg list-aardvarks, list-security,
:) etc] but is there any way to actually structure things a bit neater?
:) A second mailbox feels like an even worse kludge.

What I do in practice is to put all my incoming folders in a separate
directory. I call it "~/.inc-fld", so I can not touch them accidentally.
Your IMAP server should have the concept of your "home" directory where
it will put your incoming folders by default.

Once this structure is setup, I use [X] enable-incoming-folders to add
each incoming folder separately. Unfortunately Pine does not allow you to
add the contents of a directory as a collection of incoming folders, one
needs to add each folder one by one. All incoming folders are listed in
one collection. You can see an image of how this looks like at

http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/images/incoming.gif

and

http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/images/newincoming.gif

I like this setup a lot, so it's what I recommend.

--
Eduardo
Patches/Help: http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/
Am 25.10.04 schrieb Eduardo Chappa:

> http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/images/incoming.gif
>
> and
>
> http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/images/newincoming.gif
>
> I like this setup a lot, so it's what I recommend.

Hi Eduardo,

how did you make Pine display the number of new/total messages in a
folder, and folders with new messages in boldface? Is this possible using
a standard Pine binary? I think a lot of Pine users had this feature on
their wishlist for improvements.

TIA,
Harald
0
news04101 (11)
10/25/2004 8:12:29 PM
*** Harald Schoen (news0410@harald-schoen.de) wrote in comp.mail.pine...:

:) how did you make Pine display the number of new/total messages in a
:) folder, and folders with new messages in boldface? Is this possible
:) using a standard Pine binary? I think a lot of Pine users had this
:) feature on their wishlist for improvements.

Hello Harald,

I patched pine to do so, so it's not a part of the standard binary, but
patching and building is not hard. You can get such patch from my web
page. If you use it, I hope it will be useful to you.

--
Eduardo
Patches/Help: http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/
XML/RSS feed: http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/pine.xml
0
chappa (956)

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

Mailing list manager, send to list
Hi, I'm looking for a mailing list script (php) that has a function to let users to reach out to all recipient on the list by simple send the email to a specific maillist- address. Mailman has this functionn but as a just got a webserver account I can't use mailman nor install it. ...

Mail list program request-- where can I find a mail list with these features?
For a group mail list, I'm looking for the following features-- a combination of features I've not found in search engine listings: 1.) Freeware 2.) Runs on Windows 98 plus newer versions 3.) Installs to and runs on a bootable cd rom 4.) Writes transportable comma delimited email file to floppy disk or cdrw for update or retrieval to common mail progs such at Outlook, Eudora or Thunderbird.. List can be sent as an attachment to load into Outlook Express or Thunderbird. ...

Why is SpamWatch is junking my mail from a mailing list?
Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Along the same lines, is there any way to create a log file of what filters cause a message to do what it does? Ideally, there would be a record of the message Sender, Subject and what rule(s) it fired. Thanks, Jay Shilstone James Shilstone <shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote: > Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam > scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe > to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to > the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that > list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the > messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at > 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I > can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Does you ISP do any spam filtering that puts x-header...

Save mail to mailing list mailbox?
Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with the name of the mailing list? Thanks. Dave Feustel dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: > Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with > the name of the mailing list? I use fcc-save-hooks for this, one for each mailing list, e.g., fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-dev"' +Lists/mutt-dev fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-users"' +Lists/mutt-users -- Gary Johnson Gary Johnson <garyjohn@eskimo.com> wrote: > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: >>...

Pine and mailing lists
Hi, I wonder how well can Pine handle mailing lists. a) Special display features in the index page? b) Clean behaviour for the "reply" command: With reply I want to send a reply to the mailing list, not to the guy who wrote the message; how can I do it? On Dec 3 2006 18:58, Nobody wrote: > Hi, I wonder how well can Pine handle mailing lists. > b) Clean behaviour for the "reply" command: > With reply I want to send a reply to the mailing list, not > to the guy who wrote the message; how can I do it? Same problem here. There have been flames over flames in environments like openSUSE because they changed it. Such a feature (b) would really be necessary now. -`J' -- On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 22:48:21 +0100, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@linux01.gwdg.de> wrote: > > On Dec 3 2006 18:58, Nobody wrote: > > Hi, I wonder how well can Pine handle mailing lists. > > b) Clean behaviour for the "reply" command: > > With reply I want to send a reply to the mailing list, not > > to the guy who wrote the message; how can I do it? > > Same problem here. There have been flames over flames in environments > like openSUSE because they changed it. Such a feature (b) would really > be necessary now. Do what I do; use procmail and mung the headers of all list-originated emails so they have a Reply-To: header line in them. (And yes I've read all the arguments against munging headers l...

Mailing list manager
Hi to everyone, I'm a newbie of javascript language, i need an info. I've built on my web site a mailing list subscribe in java, the mail addresses are store on a Access database. My question : Is it possibile to build an administrator form where I can send a mail message to my mailing list? Important : my web site hasn't a SMTP server, so I wll have to send by an external SMTP. Thanks in advance for all of your kind reply La Sonda ...

Please unregister this mail-address out of mailing-list.
Dear Python Staff, I am writing this letter to unsubscribe this mail-address from python mail-list. One problem is that this python community is so active that I always lost myself to find my business emails. So, I want to quit this mail-address from you, and want to set up a specific mail-box to receive all python mails. Since could find a way to unsubscribe the mails, I need to write this letter to you. Please help. BTW, python is indeed great, thank you all for any supports. Hank. ...

[merc32] no welcome/farewell-mail on mailing list?
heyas! is there a trick i dont know yet? i did set the welcome/farewell files (just copied the sample-standard files for testing). when i hit the edit button, the file pops up (so its the correct file)... but when i subscribe (subscription works too, im list member after it) there is no welcome message =( no error message on mercury, but also not efen an attemtp to send any mail out ;/ any ideas? thx tobi ...

Filing mail, mailing lists, sub-directories
I'm trying to find a way to ease the following: From my .muttrc lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in: =Linux/dundee rather than the default when I press 's': =dundee I don't particularly want to go down the multiple mailboxes/procmail route. Is there any other way to do it? I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing. For instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com, ra...

Mails from postmaster address to mailing list are lost
I have been using Mercury/32 with a domain mailbox for several years with very few problems. I currently use v3.31 (but my problem is also present with v3.32). But I have this problem: if the term 'postmaster' is part of the mail address of a mail sent to one of my mailing lists, the mail is never delivered. For example, if a mail from 'postmaster@somedomain.com' is sent to mailing list 'ml@mydomain.com', the mail is never delivered. The problem persists even if the from address is changed to 'postmaster42@somedomain.com'. If the from address is ch...

Welcome to the "Mails" mailing list
Thanks for Joining www.freehotlinksdirectory.com Welcome to the Mails@freehotlinksdirectory.com mailing list! To post to this list, send your email to: mails@freehotlinksdirectory.com General information about the mailing list is at: http://freehotlinksdirectory.com/mailman/listinfo/mails_freehotlinksdirectory.com If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your subscription page at: http://freehotlinksdirectory.com/mailman/options/mails_freehotlinksdirectory.com/python-list%40pytho...

How can I capture a mailing list in mail.app?
The list is in the form of "First Name Last Name"<email address>, next, next, . . . I don't want to add them to my address book, which is an option. I want to capture them all into a text file. If I select, copy and paste, I only get the email address, not the name. I want the whole thing. I am not afraid to go into the mail file itself, if that is what it takes. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-2EA010.15593316052008@[199.45.49.11]>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirc...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

Managing a Mailing List on my Iyonix
I want to establish a small private mailing list for my local "Doctor Who" fan group. I know I could go through Yahoo or SmartGroups, but I would really like to keep it as small and simple as possible, with membership by invitation and no binaries allowed. Can anyone suggest the software I would need for my Iyonix to do this. Thank in advance. -- "Like shooting flies with a laser cannon, the aims a bit tricky, but it certainly deals with the flies." - Lord Miles Vorkosigan. From "Komarr" by Lois McMaster Bujold To read my Web Log visit http://...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Mailing list manager with VERP
Hi! I am looking for mailing list manager written in Perl that have automatic bounce management utilizing VERP or other customized delivery method. Do you know any (or a list of)? Or maybe some modules that will help me build one? Thank you! -- Stephan Paul Arif Sahari Wibowo _____ _____ _____ _____ /____ /____/ /____/ /____ _____/ / / / _____/ http://www.arifsaha.com/ ...

Mail server supporting manager authoriasation to send mail
Our "IT" partner is reviewing Kerio Mailserver and MS Exchange. A server will be deployed in each of 8 offices (1x 4 people, 3x 8 people, 1x 50, 3x 20 people). As part of the firms Professional Indemnity procedures all written communication in and out must be approved by a partner (about 15 across firm), the same must apply with email. What we require is a mailserver/client which doesn't permit mail to be sent directly to (and preferably from) addresses other than @firms.domain without first being sent to a partner and approved. what staff need to be able to do is enter joe@bloggs.domain, hit send and it go to a partner or more than one depending on the office, then all the partner needs to do is press yes or no without having to mess around copying the content from one message to a new one. Any comments on the software (or the deployment stratergy - my personal choice wound have been as all mail has to go through the head office mail server first anyway to only have one central server and access over the firm's VPN - each remote office has a 512k DSL, the head office would have a faster upload connection than the 256k DSL provides - but i think this will have to happen anyway) Regards and thanks in advance Chris > As part of the firms Professional Indemnity procedures all written > communication in and out must be approved by a partner (about 15 > across firm), the same must apply with email. What we require is a > mailserver/client which...

Web resources about - Managing mailing lists - comp.mail.pine

Managing editor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A managing editor is a senior member of a publication 's management team. In the United States , a managing editor oversees and coordinates ...

Facebook EMEA Director Christian Hernandez Joins White Star Capital As Managing Partner
... in a post on his Facebook page that he was leaving the social network to join early-stage venture-capital firm White Star Capital as a managing ...

Upgraded Tools for Creating and Managing Facebook Ads
The updated versions of Power Editor and Ads Manager make it easier to create, edit and track Facebook ads. See the new tools.

Facebook SPMD Kenshoo names Gary Nafus Managing Director, Americas
... hired Gary Nafus, previously the Vice President of Sales at Oracle Corporation before starting at Kenshoo. Nafus will be the company’s Managing ...

Cravings - Meet your daily calorie goals by managing your craving and by making healthy food choices ...
Get Cravings - Meet your daily calorie goals by managing your craving and by making healthy food choices. Engage in a social experience with ...

Managing the Bailout, 12 February 2009
rappaportcenter's Managing the Bailout, 12 February 2009 set

Google I/O 2011: Managing and visualizing your geospatial data with Fusion Tables - YouTube
Kathryn Hurley, James McGill, Simon Rogers Geospatial data has special requirements that aren't met by traditional database or cloud data storage. ...

Cisco A/NZ appoints Boal as managing director
Cisco A/NZ appoints Boal as managing director ARNnet The appointment comes in the wake of previous managing director, Richard Kitts, moving ...

Coopers Brewery managing director has hands full with imported beer portfolio
The managing director of Coopers Brewery, Tim Cooper, says there might not be room for any extra imported brands in his portfolio.

Managing executive pay (04:31)
Asciano chairman and BHP Billiton director Malcolm Broomhead says the reward structure for executives needs to be simplified as boards come to ...