[HELP] sendmail.cf <-> sendmail.mc

hi
   i'm starting to migrate from Rh to Debian and  I have a probleme with
conf files

    on Rh there is Kit-jussieu and i work with m4

   my question :
     how can i have

     Mlocal, Path=/usr/bin/procmail ....
or
     DHmachine

     DMdomain
     CM dom doma domain

     DR relay1:relay2

with m4

I haven't see it in doc

thank you

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:43:17 +0200 leconte.jerome1 wrote:

>    i'm starting to migrate from Rh to Debian and  I have a probleme with
> conf files

IIRC Debian has local documentation.

>     on Rh there is Kit-jussieu and i work with m4

what is "Kit-jussieu"?

>    my question :
>      how can i have

> with m4
>
> I haven't see it in doc

http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999

leconte.jerome1 wrote:

>      Mlocal, Path=/usr/bin/procmail ....

See cf/README, e.g.,
LOCAL_MAILER_PATH	[/bin/mail] The program used to deliver local mail.

> or
>      DHmachine
>
>      DMdomain
>      CM dom doma domain
>
>      DR relay1:relay2

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to set the macro 'H'
or do you want to configure a MAIL_HUB?  The latter is explained
in cf/README.

PS: you can look at cf/m4/proto.m4 et.al. to see the macro
names that are associated with m4 variables.
--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

> what is "Kit-jussieu"?
Hi
  It 's an configuration kit for sendmail
without m4

ftp://ftp.jussieu.fr/jussieu/sendmail/kit/

note: Jussieu is the name of a French University
also known as UPMC ( Universite Pierre et marie curie) Or P6

Claus A�mann a �crit :

> leconte.jerome1 wrote:
>

>>     Mlocal, Path=/usr/bin/procmail ....
>

> See cf/README, e.g.,
> LOCAL_MAILER_PATH	[/bin/mail] The program used to deliver local mail.
>

>>or
>>     DHmachine
>>
>>     DMdomain
>>     CM dom doma domain
>>
>>     DR relay1:relay2
>

> What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to set the macro 'H'
> or do you want to configure a MAIL_HUB?  The latter is explained
> in cf/README.
>
> PS: you can look at cf/m4/proto.m4 et.al. to see the macro
> names that are associated with m4 variables.
hi

   Here in  cf I have
    DH MyMachine
    CM MyDomaine

Thank

You shall not directly modify your sendmail.cf configuration file.

You have two options :

- use the Kit de Jussieu to configure sendmail. In this case, it's=20
better to post your questions at their mailing list or contact the author=
=2E

- use the m4 configuration kit which comes with sendmail and with your=20
RH9 distribution. In this case, you shall better understand how you want =

  to configure your sendmail and read cf/README file, and post your=20
questions here.

Jose-Marcio

leconte.jerome1 wrote:
> Claus A�mann a �crit :

> > What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to set the macro 'H'
> > or do you want to configure a MAIL_HUB?  The latter is explained
> > in cf/README.

>     DH MyMachine
>     CM MyDomaine

You are looking at the problem from the wrong side.

Instead of saying: "I have these obscure lines in a file, what
should I do?" try: "I want this behavior, what should I do?"

The latter is answered in cf/README.

The former is answered (as I wrote before) in cf/m4/*.m4

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
0
Claus

sendmail.cf and sendmail.mc
A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in sendmail.mc? Thank you. Marco Verago. Marco Verago schrieb: > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > sendmail.mc? Not a simple question at all, as I can't for the life of it imagine what you are actually wanting to achieve. sendmail.cf is generated from sendmail.mc, so you seem to be creating a sort of circular dependency here. Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de> writes: > Marco Verago schrieb: > > > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > > sendmail.mc? > > Not a simple question at all, as I can't for the life of it imagine > what you are actually wanting to achieve. sendmail.cf is generated > from sendmail.mc, so you seem to be creating a sort of circular > dependency here. Maybe he's looking for LOCAL_RULESETS, LOCAL_CONFIG, LOCAL_RULE_3, etc., which allow you to put .cf code in the .mc file. See the cf/README file for more info. -- Michael Fuhr http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/ Marco Verago wrote: > A simple question: is there a way to include parts of sendmail.cf in > sendmail.mc? YES e.g. http://www.sendmail.org/m4/tweaking_rulesets.html -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl Home Page http://anfi.homeunix.net/ [ PageRank 6 ] *Random Epigram* : Don't judge a man by the words of his mother, listen to the comments of his neighbou...

[Help] Tren InterScan with sendmail <CR><LF>.<CR><LF> trouble
Hi . I'm using InterScan MSS and sendmail 8.13. According to the installation guide , I installed InterScan and our mail-server became to have two sendmail processes and one InterScan process. [sendmail-1]->[InterScan]->[sendmail-2] When, I sent a e-mail like this, ---------------------------------------------------------------- From: xxx <CR><LF> To: yyy <CR><LF> Subject: test <CR><LF> This is test mail <CR><LF> ..<CR><LF> <CR><LF> PS. <CR><LF> Zzzzzz. I'm sleepy <CR><LF> ---------------------------------------------------------------- a SMTP protocol error happened between [sendmail-1] and [InterScan] . The line ".<CR><LF>" was converted to "..<CR><LF>" by my Outlook, and sent to [sendmail-1]. [sendmail-1] processed this e-mail and finally sent it to [InterScan]. I watched communication data between [sendmail-1] and [InterScan] , then, found that the line ".<CR><LF>" was directly sent to [InterScan] from [sendmail-1]. Trendmicro said that it was a problem of sendmail, and I think so. Please tell me how to set up my sendmail to avoid this problem. Thanks ! More information. The sendmail.cf of [sendmail-1] is as follows. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Msmtp, P=[IPC], ......, A=TCP localhost 10025, ..., F=kmDFMuXa, .... ----------------------...

Rebuild sendmail.mc from sendmail.cf
I inheirited an a Redhat system that acts as a mail server, using sendmail. I want to upgrade Sendmail from 8.11 to 8.13, but there are TONS of changes in the sendmail.cf file that were not made in the sendmail.mc file. Does anyone know of a way to create an sendmail.mc file from a sendmail.cf file? Barring that, any suggestions? Thanks in advance, -- Brett B Schlank wrote: > I inheirited an a Redhat system that acts as a mail server, using > sendmail. > > I want to upgrade Sendmail from 8.11 to 8.13, but there are TONS of > changes in the sendmail.cf file that were not made in the sendmail.mc > file. > > Does anyone know of a way to create an sendmail.mc file from a > sendmail.cf file? Barring that, any suggestions? > > Thanks in advance, > > -- Brett Ever try to unscramble an egg?? Best I can suggest is get a .mc file you believe is a close as possible to the one that generated your .cf file and make a .cf from it. Then diff the resulting .cf with your .cf and try to scope out what generated the differences. -- Clem "If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." - Fudd's first law of opposition B Schlank wrote: > I inheirited an a Redhat system that acts as a mail server, using > sendmail. > > I want to upgrade Sendmail from 8.11 to 8.13, but there are TONS of > changes in the sendmail.cf file that were not made in the sendmail.mc > file. > > Does anyone know...

sendmail.cf.rpmnew, but no sendmail.mc.rpmnew?
Hi, I believe this question was asked in comp.mail.sendmail back in 2003, but was never fully resolved. Since it refers to an rpm specific update, I'm not really certain this is the ideal group to post to; my apologies if it is not. I just updated to sendmail 8.14.1-4.2.fc6 using yum on FC6, and found a sendmail.cf.rpmnew file. There are numerous changes in this .cf file that seem important, but they will certainly be overwritten the next time the sendmail service restarts and the .mc file is processed. Are we expected to search our existing .mc files, and make them match the newest changes from the sendmail.cf.rpmnew file? I don't even believe that all of the changes could be made to match by revising the .mc file alone. Wouldn't it make more sense for both new sendmail.cf.rpmnew and a sendmail.mc.rpmnew files to have been distributed? Apologies if this is a well documented faq that I missed in my search. My hopes are that this is just a packaging error. Thanks for all responses, Steven Stromer stevenstromer wrote: > Hi, > > I believe this question was asked in comp.mail.sendmail back in 2003, > but was never fully resolved. Since it refers to an rpm specific > update, I'm not really certain this is the ideal group to post to; my > apologies if it is not. > > I just updated to sendmail 8.14.1-4.2.fc6 using yum on FC6, and found > a sendmail.cf.rpmnew file. This is a Fedora related question and still has to do with the RPM ...

Combining To and From directives in sendmail.mc(sendmail.cf)

get sendmail.mc back from sendmail.cf
Hi :) I accidentaly erased my sendmail.mc file but I still have the resulting sendmail.cf. I was wondering if there was a way to get my sendmail.mc back using sendmail.cf ? Thanks a lot for any hints. Regards, Antoine On 2004-10-12, Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org> wrote: > I accidentaly erased my sendmail.mc file but I still have the resulting > sendmail.cf. > I was wondering if there was a way to get my sendmail.mc back using > sendmail.cf ? No backups? As someone pointed out in a different context, turning a pig into a sausage is relatively straightforward, but reversing the process is not. -- -John (john@os2.dhs.org) Antoine Jacoutot wrote: > I accidentaly erased my sendmail.mc file but I still have the resulting > sendmail.cf. > I was wondering if there was a way to get my sendmail.mc back using > sendmail.cf ? http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/more.html#CF2MC -- A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting. Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)? A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? John Thompson wrote: > On 2004-10-12, Antoine Jacoutot <ajacoutot@lphp.org> wrote: >> I accidentaly erased my sendmail.mc file but I still have the resulting >> sendmail.cf. >> I was wondering if there was a way to get my sendmail.mc back using >> sendmail.cf ? > > No backups? No, the box just got insta...

sendmail ignores sendmail.cf
If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? There is even nothing like open(sendmail.cf) if i do an strace about this. See for yourself, this is like it expect it: nebula root # sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf -v jan tescht .. jan... Connecting to mail.doubleslash.de. via relay... .... but this not: nebula root # sendmail -v jan tescht .. jan... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay... jan... Deferred: Connection refused by [127.0.0.1] Jan Schubert wrote: > If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works > fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? It seems to work, if i run a sendmail locally, but there should no sendmail run there. I just want to get the mails off the system. This is my short and simple sendmail.mc, which seems to work using -C: divert(0)dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail-procmail.mc,v 1.1 2003/04/24 21:18:58 avenj Exp $')dnl OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dnl define(`LOCAL_RELAY', mail.doubleSlash.de)dnl MAILER(smtp)dnl MAILER(procmail)dnl Any hints? TiA, Jan Jan Schubert wrote: > If i do a 'sendmail -C /etc/mail/sendmail.cf <adress>' everything works > fine, but just using 'sendmail <adress>' seems to ignore sendmail.cf? It seems to work, if i r...

DRAC, missing sendmail.mc, what must be edited in sendmail.cf?
Hi all, on our Suse 8.2 box, we want to implement pop-before-smtp with qpopper and DRAC. qpopper was compiled with --with-drac option, dracd is started and drac.db file is filling up with ip addresses when users successful login to the pop server. So, obviously most of the work is done, but I have problems telling sendmail to use drac.db file for relaying. Here is what DRAC's INSTALL file says about sendmail integration: ---snip--- Modify sendmail.cf: For sendmail 8.9.0, add the following to your .mc file under LOCAL_CONFIG... # dynamic relay authorization control map Kdrac btree /etc/mail/dracd and the following under LOCAL_RULESETS... SLocal_check_rcpt # allow recent POP/IMAP mail clients to relay R$* $: $&{client_addr} R$+ $: $(drac $1 $: ? $) R? $@ ? R$+ $@ $#OK and then re-make the .cf file ---snip--- Unfortunately, I do not have any sendmail.mc file on my machine. Should I edit sendmail.cf directly? And how would this look like in sendmail.cf? Regards Gerhard Gerhard Hofmann wrote: > on our Suse 8.2 box, [...] > Unfortunately, I do not have any sendmail.mc file on my machine. Should > I edit sendmail.cf directly? And how would this look like in > sendmail.cf? http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section5.html#5.3.2.1 5.3.2.1 -- Where is the sendmail.mc file on SuSE Linux? Date: May 5, 2002 -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl http://anfi.homeunix.net/ http://slashdot.org/~anfi *Random E...

Where is the complete sendmail.mc file in Sendmail source?
I have installed sendmail from source. Following the README instructions I did: cd cf/cf cp generic-linux.mc sendmail.mc make install-cf It creates a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf The questions is: How to I get a complete sendmail.mc file after installing sendmail from source? The only sendmail.mc file available is a small file whith few definitions (about 6 lines) What about other definitions in the devtools/Site/site.config.m4 file? They must be in this sendmail.mc too! In article <1191684628.673255.257500@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, leoh <leonardomachado@gmail.com> wrote: > I have installed sendmail from source. > > Following the README instructions I did: > > cd cf/cf > cp generic-linux.mc sendmail.mc > make install-cf I think you did not understand the README. It is uncommon for a generic ..mc file to be a reasonable source for any specific functioning mail system. The generic .mc files that come in the Sendmail distribution are best used as starting points for the .mc you actually use. > It creates a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf > > The questions is: How to I get a complete sendmail.mc file after > installing sendmail from source? You create one yourself. The .mc files included in the distribution are examples that you can use as starting points for making your own .mc for your own needs. > The only sendmail.mc file available is a small file whith few > definitions (about 6 lines) A working .mc can be ver...

[Sendmail] Strange sendmail log...
Hello. I ran linux web+sendmail server for years. Recently i was noticed that my server appointed as spam mail sending black list. When i look into my sendmail log, it was surprising. Some Brizilian spammers are sending massive spam mail via my box. I think there was some hole in user name "apache". Now i'm changed username apache --> apache2, but it is same. Sendmail Version = starting daemon (8.13.4): SMTP+queueing@01:00:00 ---- sendmail log. Jun 3 18:50:47 node sendmail[16954]: j539ojU6016954: from=<>, size=4982, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<20050603141608.BD64019016@zion.a lanet.com.br>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=caams.alanet.com.br [200.199.221.19] Jun 3 18:50:48 node sendmail[16955]: j539ojU6016954: to=<apache@node.cybok.com>, delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=local, pri =35188, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent Jun 3 18:51:03 node sendmail[16958]: j539p3AR016958: mx.uol.com.br [200.221.4.129] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connect ion to MTA ...... Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: dangerous permissions=40755 on queue directory /var/spool/clientmqueue/ Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: j5725180031713: SYSERR(apache2): collect: Cannot write ./dfj5725180031713 (sm_io_flush||sm_io_ error, uid=1002, gid=106): Input/output error Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: j5725180031713: from=apache2, size=4929, class=0, nrcpts=1, relay=apache2@localhost Jun 7 11:05:01 node sendmail[31713]: j5725180031713: 0: fl=0x0,...

Sendmail/Sendmail Processes Hanging
Hi there, I have a problem with my RedHat 7.2 (2.4.18-26.7.x kernel) box and sendmail. We have recently been finding many many stuck sendmail processes where seemingly the first process freezes and all later ones then start but fail to log or complete in any way. We were running an old (8.11) version of sendmail so I have upgraded from source to the latest 8.13.6 and replaced the binary and config files ok. The new version runs fine and all seems to work. But... the problem continues. I have attached a copy of the relevant parts of a ps and netstat etc... below. I thought this might be some sort of DoS hence the upgrade and I also tinkered with timeouts but with no joy. One thing that has changed from 8.11 to 8.13 is that under 8.11 as well as cmd read and data states some of the frozen connections were showing "child wait". Any help most gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Dave. SENDMAIL.MC: divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-linux.mc,v 8.1 1999/09/24 22:48:05 gshapiro Exp $') undefine(`UUCP_RELAY') undefine(`BITNET_RELAY') define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true) define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail') define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`mail.ourdomain.com') define(`confTO_COMMAND',`2m') define(`confQUEUE_LA',8) define(`confREFUSE_LA',12) define(`confDELAY_LA',4) define(`confTO_DATABLOCK',`5m') define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG',`Sendmail Mailer; $b') OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dn...

sendmail and cyrus
until now i have a mailserver (based on SuSE 8.2) that delivers incoming mail to /var/spool/mail and users get it via pop3/qpopper. now i want imap access and installed cyrus. cyrus seems to work, (windows-) clients can access it and create new mailboxes. but incoming mail does not appear there. it still goes to /var/spool/mail. how should this work if it worked? does cyrus fetch the mail from /var/spool/mail or must sendmail deliver it straight to cyrus? cyrus documentation does not loose a word over sendmail and vice versa. what piece of configuration is missing here? does anyone know how ...

sendmail.cf help
Hi, I would like to add a rule in sendmail.cf in which mail with a certain envelope sender's address gets resolved to a special mailer. That is, all mail from <foo@dom.ain> is delivered via a special mailer, foomailer. Rfoo@dom.ain $#foomailer $@ smtphost $: $1 < @ $2 > $3 But, as you can see, the RHS address has to be the recipient address, and therefore cannot use $1, $2, and $3. How do I specify the RHS? My brain has locked up. Am I going about this all wrong? Is there a better way? Thanks Fletcher Fletcher Mattox wrote: > I would like to add a rule in sendmail.cf in which mail with a certain > envelope sender's address gets resolved to a special mailer. That is, > all mail from <foo@dom.ain> is delivered via a special mailer, foomailer. > > Rfoo@dom.ain $#foomailer $@ smtphost $: $1 < @ $2 > $3 > > But, as you can see, the RHS address has to be the recipient address, > and therefore cannot use $1, $2, and $3. How do I specify the RHS? > My brain has locked up. > > Am I going about this all wrong? Is there a better way? Take a look at smart table: * Smart Table - http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/smarttab.html Selection of smart host based on envelope sender address Standard smart table is not consulted for local recipients and recipients routed by mailertable. It can be changed by using LOCAL_RULE_0 instead of LOCAL_NET_CONFIG in smarttable.m4 -- Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip anfi@pri...

Help with Sendmail.mc
This is my sendmail.mc: # This is a generic configuration file for Linux. # It has support for local and SMTP mail only. If you want to # customize it, copy it to a name appropriate for your environment # and do the modifications there. # divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-linux.mc,v 8.1 1999/09/24 22:48:05 gshapiro Exp $') OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dnl dnl ------------------------------------------------------------------- dnl Enable this for debug output from Sendmail. dnl define(`confLOG_LEVEL', `14')dnl dnl ------------------------------------------------------------------- dnl Enable this to see even more debug output. dnl Defaults to confLOG_LEVEL. dnl dnl If Milter.LogLevel is greater-than: dnl dnl 0 Communication errors dnl 8 Header & RCPT modification messages dnl 9 Connect to info dnl 10 Milter error return codes, abort messages dnl 12 More return code info, connection/open errors dnl 14 Sender & rcpts info dnl 17 Show headers & body sent to a milter. dnl 18 Quit dnl 21 Time a milter dnl define(`confMILTER_LOG_LEVEL', 14)dnl define('confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE',`100000000')dnl define(`confME_TOO',` True')dnl define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS',` authwarnings,goaway,restrictmailq,restrictqrun,noexpn,noetrn)dnl define('confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', '$j AUTHORIZED USE ONLY! UNSOLICTED EMAIL NOT WELCOME!')dnl define(`confDOUBLE_BOU...

Help: sendmail backup (probably not sendmail's fault, but whose?!?)
Starting a few days ago, I started having a strange problem with our SMTP relay (running sendmail 8.11.6 on RH Linux 7.2). No configuration changes have been made to the relay, the firewall or the physical network in many months. Here are the symptoms: When sending mail (generally from Windows boxes with Mozilla or Netscape), the client connects right away, but there is a very long pause (sometimes several minutes) before the message starts spooling to the relay. Once it gets going, it goes at a normal pace. If I check the mail queue, there are several jobs deferred for host name lookup failures and read errors. Some have been deferred for several days; others go off on their way normally. Running the queue manually (sendmail -q -v) gives a string of errors like these: Running /var/spool/mqueue/j56LlCb03672 (sequence 1 of 17) <SOMEUSER@earthlink.net>... Connecting to mxd.earthlink.net. via esmtp... 220 mx-emperor.atl.sa.earthlink.net EL_3_9_13_21 / ESMTP EarthLink SMTP Server Tue, 7 Jun 2005 10:31:21 -0400 (EDT) >>> EHLO smtp.MYDOMAIN.com 421 mx-emperor.atl.sa.earthlink.net Timeout waiting for data, please try again later >>> QUIT or this one: Running /var/spool/mqueue/j56JocS10596 (sequence 4 of 16) <SOMEUSER@hotmail.com>... Deferred: Name server: mx3.hotmail.com.: host name lookup failure Note that other internet traffic is not having problems. For the hosts where DNS is supposedly failing, I have manually queried with no problems. ...

unable to forward mail from 1 sendmail server to another sendmail server
Hi, i have a setup like this: box A ---> box B ---> sends to the world. sendmail, solaris 9. what is happening is as follows: Application on box A generates mail (for the users, who can be from anywhere) forwards it to box B which sends it out. The box A is forwarding mail to box B, only for the users of the domain, ie if there is a user is having a gmail id the mail is NOT forwarded from box A ----> box B. If i do a nslookup on gmail on box A it resolves properly. XXXXXX Message 2: >From MAILER-DAEMON Wed Oct 26 12:14:26 2005 Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON> To: <amit@www.domainname.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure) This is a MIME-encapsulated message --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com The original message was received at Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) from localhost [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <amitka@gmail.com> (reason: 550 Host unknown) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- 550 5.1.2 <amitka@gmail.com>... Host unknown (Name server: mailhost.domainame.com: host not found) --j9Q6iQj6027300.1130309066/www.domainname.com Content-Type: message/delivery-status Reporting-MTA: dns; www.domainname.com Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost Arrival-Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 12:14:26 +0530 (IST) Final-Recipient: RFC822; amitk...

too many sendmail 8.12.11 sendmail and mail.local processes
I noticed over 7000 sendmail and mail.local processes that eventually exhausted the system's swap space. The system is a Solaris 8 box running sendmail 8.12.11. Also, sendmail.cf has MaxDaemonChildren=500 set. The problem occurred after the system received over 60,000 large email due to a misbehaved application. 1. Why would there be more than 500 sendmail processes? I noticed the parent process for most of the sendmail processes is 1 and mail.local were spawned by sendmail, of course. I have the default MaxQueueChildren value which is unlimited. I noted over 7,000 of these messages in syslog during the time of the incident; Jun 12 09:02:04 peace sendmail-mta[22621]: j5CD04jr022619: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:03:03 peace sendmail-mta[23982]: j5CD13Ef023979: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:04:36 peace sendmail-mta[26086]: j5CD2aaO026076: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:05:38 peace sendmail-mta[27455]: j5CD3bKd027452: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:01 peace sendmail-mta[27939]: j5CD411x027931: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input Jun 12 09:06:16 peace sendmail-mta[28248]: j5CD4GmD028243: timeout waiting for i nput from local during Draining Input F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 8 S root 8888 1 0 49 20 69174...

Sendmail
Can any one help me setting up my mail server. I have 3 different domains i want to set that up in one m/c. Help What M/C are you Planning on Using - Outlook Express, Outlook Etc. Kevin bhavingsi@yahoo.com (Bhavin) wrote in message news:<49df75f0.0407150718.21c23a7e@posting.google.com>... > Can any one help me setting up my mail server. I have 3 different > domains i want to set that up in one m/c. > > Help ...

Sendmail
Just one theoretycal question, is there any program or some option that would force sendmail to pickup mail with some kind of POP connector from the other server, like it works on MS Exchange??? On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:35:24 +0200, John <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote: > Just one theoretycal question, is there any program or some option that > would force sendmail to pickup mail with some kind of POP connector from the > other server, like it works on MS Exchange??? Sendmail sends mails, it doesn't fetch mail. You can use fetchmail for that :) Wkr, Sven Vermeulen -- Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive: The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking. They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/> On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:35:24 +0200, John <anonymous@anonymous.com> wrote: > Just one theoretycal question, is there any program or some option that > would force sendmail to pickup mail with some kind of POP connector from the > other server, like it works on MS Exchange??? How about fetchmail? Check it out: http://catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/ -- -- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu) -- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/ ...

sendmail
I'm having trouble configuring sendmail. The OS is redhat 9. I'm not new to linux. I'm trying to use the PHP function mail() and it only sends the mail message to the root user instead of the intended recipient. I want it to be forwarded to an exchange 5.5 box (our mail server). Any help? Any good links to sites that might help me? I haven't found what i'm looking for at sendmail.org. Thanks in advance to any help. jedge wrote: > I'm having trouble configuring sendmail. The OS is redhat 9. I'm not > new to linux. I'm trying to use the PHP funct...

sendmail
Is there a way to add hyperlinks to the body of an email message using the sendmail function? I am using Microsoft Outlook. ...

Sendmail
I have the 7.0 version of Sendmail installed and working okay sending mail to addresses within our qualchoice.com domain but cannot send anywhere else. Get the following error message Name server: yahoo: host name lookup failure when trying to send to my yahoo.com address. As far as I know all the configuration is pretty much the defaults. Any Sendmail gurus know what I have to do to get this working? TIA. John Bawden QualChoice __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com * To joi...

MAIL FROM:<> causes 553 in sendmail 8.9.3 on linux
Hi everyone, I'm using sendmail 8.9.3 and have trouble with one customer. When we want to send mails to him, their server returns: >>> RCPT To:<foo@customer.com> <<< 550-Callback setup failed while verifying <user@mycompany.com> <<< 550-Called: some-ip-address <<< 550-Sent: MAIL FROM:<> <<< 550-Response: 553 <>... @ <<< 550-The initial connection, or a HELO or MAIL FROM:<> command was <<< 550-rejected. Refusing MAIL FROM:<> does not help fight spam, disregards <<< 550-RFC requirements, and stops you from receiving standard bounce <<< 550-messages. This host does not accept mail from domains whose servers <<< 550-refuse bounces. <<< 550 Sender verify failed In my /var/log/mail I see: Aug 4 11:26:01 linux sendmail[21091]: LAA21091: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<>, relay=foo.bar.de [some-ip-address], reject=553 <>... @ It's clear to me, what is happening, and that the fault is on my side. To be RFC-compliant, I should change something. But I don't know, what I have to change in my sendmail.cf. I know, that I could use a newer sendmail-version, and that is what I will do in future, but I'm to scared, just to install a new version on a production server without testing. I need a fast solution, so is there a way with sendmail 8.9? King regards, Markus On 2004-08-04, Markus Grossmann <m_grossmann@gmx.de> ...

Web resources about - [HELP] sendmail.cf <-> sendmail.mc - comp.mail.sendmail