[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager

hi,

i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file
like :
all-my-users    " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users"

i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static)
because
when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the
list_of_all_my_users file

i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron
for example)

BUT

do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all
the users of the computer ?

thanks

Fabrice

0
candau (1)

Fabrice CANDAU wrote:
> i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file
> like :
> all-my-users    " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users"
>
> i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static)
> because
> when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the
> list_of_all_my_users file
>
> i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron
> for example)
>
> BUT
>
> do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all
> the users of the computer ?

You can use "alias to program/script", the script may generate list of all
users every time it is executed.

all-my-users: "|/PATH/all-users-script"

URL(s):
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.21
Subject: Q4.21 -- How can I send mail to all users?

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/
anfi@priv.onet.pl anfi@xl.wp.pl [former: anfi@Box43.pl]

0
anfi (2014)

Fabrice CANDAU wrote:
> hi,
>
> i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file
> like :
> all-my-users    " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users"
>
> i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static)
> because
> when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the
> list_of_all_my_users file
>
> i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron
> for example)
>
> BUT
>
> do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all
> the users of the computer ?

something of the kind :

set x=`cut -d: -f1 /etc/passwd`
for f in $x
do
	Mail -s "General Alert" $f < message
done

Optimisation and removal of system accounts is let as an exercice... 8-)

for the creation of the file list_of_all_my_users, you can do :

cut -d: -f: /etc/passwd > /path/list_of_all_my_users

Also, you shall add something to remove your system accounts

> thanks
>
> Fabrice

Je vous en prie, mon cher Fabrice !

Jose-Marcio

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
  Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
  75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins@ensmp.fr

In article <bljfur$72a$1@news.cict.fr> "Fabrice CANDAU"
<candau@lcc-toulouse.fr> writes:

>i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file
>like :
>all-my-users    " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users"

Well, not quite:

all-my-users:  :include:/path/list_of_all_my_users

>i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static)
>because
>when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the
>list_of_all_my_users file

Why not? Questions like this are often asked, and I wonder: Creating a
new account means:

- Creating a new passwd entry (with lots of user-specific stuff)
- Perhaps (depending on OS/policy) creating a new /etc/group entry
- Creating a home directory
- Possibly populating the home directory with default dot-files
- Chown -r'ing the home directory to the new user
- Perhaps various other site-specific stuff.

What's so hars about adding a trivial

 echo $user >> /path/list_of_all_my_users

to this procedure? If you say, "I have this 'adduser' (or 'useradd' or
whatever) command/script that does all of the above except the echo for
me" - then the answer is "So modify the adduser/useradd/whatever to do
that, or worst case write a few lines of shell wrapper that does it".

Sendmail is *not* the only system administration tool at your disposal -
it's job is to send mail, not to relieve you of standard system
administration tasks.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access.db')dnl FEATURE(`blacklist_recipients')dnl FEATURE(`genericstable',`hash /etc/mail/genericstable.db')dnl GENERICS_DOMAIN(`domain.com')dnl FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl FEATURE(`virtusertable', `hash /etc/mail/virtusertable.db')dnl FEATURE(`use_cw_file')dnl FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl FEATURE(`redirect')dnl FEATURE(`smrsh')dnl define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl FEATURE(`mailertable',`hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl FEATURE(`domaintable', `hash -o /etc/mail/domaintable.db')dnl Cwserver.domain.com MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.com')dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`domain.com')dnl define(`confSEPARATE_PROC', `True')dnl define(`confMAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN', `12')dnl define(`confMAX_MESSAGE_SIZE',20000000)dnl MAILER_DEFINITIONS MAILER(local)dnl MAILER(smtp)dn...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Mail list program request-- where can I find a mail list with these features?
For a group mail list, I'm looking for the following features-- a combination of features I've not found in search engine listings: 1.) Freeware 2.) Runs on Windows 98 plus newer versions 3.) Installs to and runs on a bootable cd rom 4.) Writes transportable comma delimited email file to floppy disk or cdrw for update or retrieval to common mail progs such at Outlook, Eudora or Thunderbird.. List can be sent as an attachment to load into Outlook Express or Thunderbird. ...

Mailing list manager, send to list
Hi, I'm looking for a mailing list script (php) that has a function to let users to reach out to all recipient on the list by simple send the email to a specific maillist- address. Mailman has this functionn but as a just got a webserver account I can't use mailman nor install it. ...

Why is SpamWatch is junking my mail from a mailing list?
Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Along the same lines, is there any way to create a log file of what filters cause a message to do what it does? Ideally, there would be a record of the message Sender, Subject and what rule(s) it fired. Thanks, Jay Shilstone James Shilstone <shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote: > Just in the last couple of days, Eudora 6.0 has been assigning spam > scores of 99 to all the mail from a certain mailing list I subscribe > to. I went into the UserJunkDB.txt file and removed all references to > the mailing list title, then rescored a bunch of the mail from that > list and it still posted it at a score of 99. I "unjunked" the > messages, and when I recalculated the scores, they still came up at > 99. Apparently some keyword gets them marked as spam. Any ideas how I > can determine what words in a message get it marked as spam? Does you ISP do any spam filtering that puts x-header...

Save mail to mailing list mailbox?
Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with the name of the mailing list? Thanks. Dave Feustel dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: > Is there a way to save all email for a mailing list to a mailbox with > the name of the mailing list? I use fcc-save-hooks for this, one for each mailing list, e.g., fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-dev"' +Lists/mutt-dev fcc-save-hook '~t "mutt-users"' +Lists/mutt-users -- Gary Johnson Gary Johnson <garyjohn@eskimo.com> wrote: > dfeustel@mindspring.com wrote: >>...

How can I capture a mailing list in mail.app?
The list is in the form of "First Name Last Name"<email address>, next, next, . . . I don't want to add them to my address book, which is an option. I want to capture them all into a text file. If I select, copy and paste, I only get the email address, not the name. I want the whole thing. I am not afraid to go into the mail file itself, if that is what it takes. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-2EA010.15593316052008@[199.45.49.11]>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirc...

Filing mail, mailing lists, sub-directories
I'm trying to find a way to ease the following: From my .muttrc lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in: =Linux/dundee rather than the default when I press 's': =dundee I don't particularly want to go down the multiple mailboxes/procmail route. Is there any other way to do it? I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing. For instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com, ra...

[merc32] no welcome/farewell-mail on mailing list?
heyas! is there a trick i dont know yet? i did set the welcome/farewell files (just copied the sample-standard files for testing). when i hit the edit button, the file pops up (so its the correct file)... but when i subscribe (subscription works too, im list member after it) there is no welcome message =( no error message on mercury, but also not efen an attemtp to send any mail out ;/ any ideas? thx tobi ...

Please unregister this mail-address out of mailing-list.
Dear Python Staff, I am writing this letter to unsubscribe this mail-address from python mail-list. One problem is that this python community is so active that I always lost myself to find my business emails. So, I want to quit this mail-address from you, and want to set up a specific mail-box to receive all python mails. Since could find a way to unsubscribe the mails, I need to write this letter to you. Please help. BTW, python is indeed great, thank you all for any supports. Hank. ...

Welcome to the "Mails" mailing list
Thanks for Joining www.freehotlinksdirectory.com Welcome to the Mails@freehotlinksdirectory.com mailing list! To post to this list, send your email to: mails@freehotlinksdirectory.com General information about the mailing list is at: http://freehotlinksdirectory.com/mailman/listinfo/mails_freehotlinksdirectory.com If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your subscription page at: http://freehotlinksdirectory.com/mailman/options/mails_freehotlinksdirectory.com/python-list%40pytho...

Mails from postmaster address to mailing list are lost
I have been using Mercury/32 with a domain mailbox for several years with very few problems. I currently use v3.31 (but my problem is also present with v3.32). But I have this problem: if the term 'postmaster' is part of the mail address of a mail sent to one of my mailing lists, the mail is never delivered. For example, if a mail from 'postmaster@somedomain.com' is sent to mailing list 'ml@mydomain.com', the mail is never delivered. The problem persists even if the from address is changed to 'postmaster42@somedomain.com'. If the from address is ch...

Managing mailing lists
I am subscribed to a number of mailing lists and at the moment these all go into my inbox where I read them. I've decided to implement some filter rules to shuttle the lists off to different folders, and then add those folders to my incoming-folders. However I'm having problems with the filters. To be exact I've only added one list so far so haven't checked this behaviour with more lists. If I tell the filter to match To pattern = address@of.list then the messages fail to move to the dedicated folder. I've checked and double checked, the list items are definitely going to the address I've used in the filter. There is no Resent-To: header present. If I change the filter so it filters on Subject pattern = [ListName] then the filter works and the messages are filtered. Each message on this list has [ListName] prepended to the Subject: header. I'm using Pine and PC-Pine 4.61 with a shared remote config. Question 1 - any ideas why the filter is not working using the To: header? Question 2 - is there a way to say 'run filters now' in Pine? It seems that opening another folder then going back to the inbox does it but this is messy. Question 3 - having done some research for previous questions about this I found Eduardo commenting that having incoming folders in the main mail folder is bad practice, and I tend to agree. On a box with ~/mail and other folders this is easy to manage. However my mailbox is sitting on an I...

Mailing list with Sendmail ?
Hi, Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received into a TXT file for instance ? That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... how to configure it ? Thanks On Mar 23, 9:06 am, Steve <st...@everybody.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received > into a TXT file for instance ? > > That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... > > how to configure it ? > > Thanks check out http://www.klake.org/sma/ ...

Mailing list manager
Hi to everyone, I'm a newbie of javascript language, i need an info. I've built on my web site a mailing list subscribe in java, the mail addresses are store on a Access database. My question : Is it possibile to build an administrator form where I can send a mail message to my mailing list? Important : my web site hasn't a SMTP server, so I wll have to send by an external SMTP. Thanks in advance for all of your kind reply La Sonda ...

ADV: Atari E-Mail / Postal Mail List! #4
To Sign Up for Atari Mailing Lists by either E-Mail or Postal Mail! From either Bravo Sierra Computers Atari Resale or the Portland Atari Club for those local to Portland, Oregon USA! Goto my Link below: http://www.aracnet.com/~atari/maillist.htm Atari Mailing Lists. Please Direct all Replies Through E-Mail to: BenSells@Atari.org or Atari@aracnet.com. If you can't reach me, see my info at the Bottom! Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar and/or all 3! Or Call Ben anytime at (503)256-9974!!! ...

ADV: Atari Survey / E-Mail / Postal Mail List!
For Atari Surveys, To Sign Up for Atari Mailing Lists by either E-Mail or Postal Mail! From either Bravo Sierra Computers Atari Resale or the Atari Club for those local to Portland, Oregon USA! Goto my Link below: http://www.aracnet.com/~atari/maillist.htm Atari Mailing Lists. Please Direct all Replies Through E-Mail to: BenSells@Atari.org or Atari@aracnet.com. If you can't reach me, see my info at the Bottom! Atari 2600/7800 & Jaguar Games plus Classic 8 Bit and ST Games / Software, Hardware & Books. Ben's FREE Catalogs at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 2600/7800, Jaguar, 8 Bit or ST or all! Or Call anytime at (503)256-9974 ...

ADV: Atari E-Mail / Postal Mail List! #5
To Sign Up for Atari Mailing Lists by either E-Mail or Postal Mail! From either Bravo Sierra Computers Atari Resale or the Portland Atari Club for those local to Portland, Oregon USA! Goto my Link below: http://www.aracnet.com/~atari/maillist.htm Atari Mailing Lists. Please Direct all Replies Through E-Mail to: BenSells@Atari.org or Atari@aracnet.com. If you can't reach me, see my info at the Bottom! Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar and/or all 3! Or Call Ben anytime at (503)256-9974!!! ...

ADV: Atari E-Mail / Postal Mail List! #6
To Sign Up for Atari Mailing Lists by either E-Mail or Postal Mail! From either Bravo Sierra Computers Atari Resale or the Portland Atari Club for those local to Portland, Oregon USA! Goto my Link below: http://www.aracnet.com/~atari/maillist.htm Atari Mailing Lists. Please Direct all Replies Through E-Mail to: BenSells@Atari.org or Atari@aracnet.com. If you can't reach me, see my info at the Bottom! Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar and/or all 3! Or Call Ben anytime at (503)256-9974!!! ...

ADV: Atari E-Mail / Postal Mail List! #7
To Sign Up for Atari Mailing Lists by either E-Mail or Postal Mail! From either Bravo Sierra Computers Atari Resale or the Portland Atari Club for those local to Portland, Oregon USA! Goto my Link below: http://www.aracnet.com/~atari/maillist.htm Atari Mailing Lists. Please Direct all Replies Through E-Mail to: BenSells@Atari.org or Atari@aracnet.com. If you can't reach me, see my info at the Bottom! Atari Jaguar, 8 Bit and ST Games/Software, Hardware/Accessories & References/ Books. FREE Catalogs on Ben's Domain at http://BensCatalogs.Atari.org or at http://BenSells.Atari.org Catalogs can be attached to,Requested by & Received Through E-Mail at Atari@aracnet.com or BenSells@Atari.org and Please Specify Atari 8 Bit, ST, Jaguar and/or all 3! Or Call Ben anytime at (503)256-9974!!! ...

Web resources about - [newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager - comp.mail.sendmail

Newbie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment. The term's origin is uncertain. ...

Facebook To Credits Newbies: Buy $1, Get $4 Free
Facebook has duly noted developers’ gripes that Credits hadn’t been reeling in enough users, and has quickly come up with a promotion to remedy ...

The Mary Sue - This week's Battlestar Galactica newbie... - Facebook
This week's Battlestar Galactica newbie recap, in which the pain just keeps on coming.

Say Hi to Nine of Our Newest Newbies
The year is half over, and we’re still hiring like crazy. This year we’ve added 22 associates, which means our employee count has increased by ...

Beginners Golf:A guide to learning Golf for Newbies on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Beginners Golf:A guide to learning Golf for Newbies. Download Beginners ...

Occupy Wall Street Newbie Flyer Pg 1 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Translated from the original Arab Spring fliers and updated for the current action. A great flier to hand out to new protesters or others. There ...

Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe (Official Video) Call Me Newbie PARODY - YouTube
Click here to watch the Minecraft Rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzaX4UdVspM ** DOWNLOAD THE MP3 ** http://www.tinyurl.com/brysitunes or ...

Newbie of the Day: President Obama Joins Twitter, Jokesters and Trolls Respond
Well, well, well… look who finally decided to show up. President Obama has finally joined the Twitterverse (6 years after being sworn into office) ...

Newbies to get crash course in political operations at 'senator kindy'
They're calling it ''senator kindy''. Twelve new senators will gather in Parliament House late next week for a training session before the new ...

Bombers look to newbie Kommer
Bombers enter opener against Adelaide with almost a full line-up from which to choose.