"Unreal" mail users in Sendmail+OpenLDAP

Hi everyone,

I have FreeBSD 5.4, sendmail+tls+sasl2+ldap-8.14.0, openldap-2.3.34.
Everything works fine BUT...
PROBLEM.
--- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have
all of them in one LDAP database.
--- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I
create real directories to every each of mail users?
--- What schema should I use?
--- I'd like to see an example of "fake" mail users LDIF file.
--- Is there any specific configuration of Sendmail and OpenLDAP
except standard ones in this special case?

Please help me realize this idea?

Thank you all.
Best regards,
Vlad.

lechameister schrieb:
> --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have
> all of them in one LDAP database.
> --- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I
> create real directories to every each of mail users?

I'd suggest using an alternative message store, like Cyrus IMAP.

--=20
Tilman Schmidt                              t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de
Phoenix Software GmbH                             www.phoenixsoftware.de
Adolf-Hombitzer-Str. 12                        Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 2934
53227 Bonn, Germany                           Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: =
W. Grie=C3=9Fl
0
t.schmidt (173)
4/17/2007 1:40:13 PM
Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de> writes:

> lechameister schrieb:
>> --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have
>> all of them in one LDAP database.
>> --- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I
>> create real directories to every each of mail users?
>
> I'd suggest using an alternative message store, like Cyrus IMAP.

In short: You need to
1) choose POP/IMAP server not requiring one to one mapping of mailboxes
   and OS accounts
2) configure sendmail/MTA to cooperate with POP/IMAP server chosen

P.S. Cyrus IMAP is *one of many* such POP/IMAP servers.

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
Before You Ask: http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/B4UAsk-Sendmail.html
http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/
0
anfi2 (1425)

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

Difference between "mail" and "sendmail"
What is the basic difference between "mail" ad "sendmail"? I tried both in the following ways mail [emailid] <filename1 sendmail -t -i <filename2 for mail, filename1 contains the body of the mail for sendmail,filename2 contains all the headers including to,from,subject,contenttype etc. When I was testing both the above to send mails to yahoo account, I could find that "mail" is able to send 30-40 mails per second, but for sendmail, it's taking 30-40 seconds for 1 email to be sent. When I did strace in both cases I found that after sending data to DNS server,"poll" times out after 5 seconds in the case of "sendmail". It will try again and it will times out again. After 3-4 timing outs, the "poll" will return within 1 second and mail will be sent. When "mail" is used, "poll" will return quickly even though the connection is going to same DNS server and also the mail is sent to the same yahoo id. I need to use "sendmail" as it's supporting multipart mails. I would really appreciate your help, Thank you, Benny In short, 'mail' is a client program wheres 'sendmail' is a server program. They are also called MUA and MTA (Mail User Agent vs. Mail Transfer Agent). Sendmail implements the SMTP listening on port 25, and it is pretty much the same program in all Unixes. Mail may be rewritten by the vendor (Solaris, AIX, etc.). As you noticed, 'mail...

sendmail/cyrus accepts mails for "unknown users"
Hi, the info-cyrus maillingliste told me to place my question here: I'm runnung sendmail 8.12.3 (Debian woody standard package) with cyrusv2mailer (cyrusv2.m4,v 1.1 2002/06/01) and cyrus 2.1.17 (backport from http://people.debian.org/~hmh/). Today I had a heavy spam attack caused by the fact, that sendmail accepts mails for non existing users (all addresses are defined in aliases or virtusertable). Emails those unknown accounts on local domains (local-host-names) will be accepted and than(!) bounced. Is there a way to stop/reject these mails at "rcpt to: user unknown"-point?...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

Problem using the "nail" or the "mail" command to receive E-mail. HELP!!!
Using the "nail" or the "mail" command to send and receive E-mail. Examine this line: ls -a ~ | nail -a .mailrc -A autosend -s "Dis be a tess" dock@technologist.com I have been using this line at a command prompt to send an E-mail with the subject line "Dis be a tess" using my E-mail account back to my E- mail account. What this particular line does is: list the directory using the "ls" command. It then pipes the output from the "ls" command to a "nail" command. The parameters in the "nail" command a...

Sendmail keeps rejecting my mails "Domain not found"...
Hello everyone, Ok, my problem is as follows: I keep getting this error message when trying to send mail ************* The original message was received at Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:16:08 -0600 from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <xxx@sunset.com.mx> (reason: 550 <root@vader.sunset.com.mx>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- .... while talking to akenaton.sunset.com.mx.: >>> DATA <<< 550 <root@vader.sunset.com.mx>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found 550 5.1.1 <xxx@sunset.com.mx>... User unknown <<< 554 Error: no valid recipients ************* vader.sunset.com.mx does not have a DNS record, as it is an internal machine, with no outside access, so akenaton, wich is the company's public mail server, rejects mails from vader. Ok, so after doing some reading, i edited akenaton /etc/mail/local-host-names file, included vader.sunset.com.mx, and restarted sendmail. I have also edited the domain masquerade option at vader, so that it masquerades hosts vader.sunset.com.mx to just sunset.com.mx, wich passes through the mailserver just fine. However, I keep getting rejected with the same error message. Is there something left to do that I'm missing here? Thanks, Camilo In article <1166653512.525556.207140@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Camilo Olea" <camilo.olea@gmail.com> ...

Sendmail sends mail with "no valid sender in any header line"
Why is sendmail sending mail with "no valid sender"?? I just moved to a new server, using Sendmail 8.13.8. I can receive emails fine and some hosts accept emails from my domain. However, in my sendmail logs, I see many of the the following error messages: Feb 21 20:01:06 xxxx sm-mta[51025]: STARTTLS=client, relay=hosthidden.com., version=TLSv1/SSLv3, verify=FAIL, cipher=AES256-SHA, bits=256/256 Feb 21 20:01:12 xxxx sm-mta[51025]: l1M4158b051022: to=<user@hosthidden.com>, ctladdr=<rakey@host2hidden.com> (1003/1004), delay=00:00:07, xdelay=00:00:06, mailer=esmtp, pri=31147, relay=hosthidden.com. [209.123.15.18], dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable My colleague says his ISP told him the service unavailable message is due to the email being rejected because: "rejected after DATA: there is no valid sender in any header line" So, why is sendmail sending mail with "no valid sender"? Is there a sendmail config option I am missing? This wasn't happening using the same configuration on my old server. HELP! Ray A. Akey wrote: > Why is sendmail sending mail with "no valid sender"?? > > I just moved to a new server, using Sendmail 8.13.8. I can receive emails > fine and some hosts accept emails from my domain. > > However, in my sendmail logs, I see many of the the following error > messages: > > Feb 21 20:01:06 xxxx sm-mta[51025]: STARTTLS=client, relay=hosthidden.com., >...

Unable to load tag handler class "com.cj.smtp.Sendmail" for tag "send:Sendmail"
I'm getting the following error trying to send email from my JSP page: Unable to load tag handler class "com.cj.smtp.Sendmail" for tag "send:Sendmail" This was a script transferred from one server to another. It worked fine on our old server, running tomcat4, but is failing on the new server running tomcat5. Here's a sample page that is failing: [begin code] <%@page contentType="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" language="java" import="java.sql.*,java.util.Properties,java.util.Date,java.text.*"%> <%@ taglib uri="WEB-INF/...

E-mail Aliases in "Mail"
Suppose that my on-line store, mystore.com, sell hats and gloves. The company that hosts my site has assigned the e-mail address (and user name) mystore@mystore.com to this account. But they will forward mail addressed to anynamewhatsoever@mystore.com; in other words, they allow me to use an unlimited number of e-mail aliases. That way, a person who wants to enquire about a hat can e-mail hats@mystore.com and a person who is interested in gloves can e-mail gloves@mystore.com. Filters in "Mail" will sort the messages into the appropriate mailboxes for my convenience. The problem is t...

Welcome to the "Mails" mailing list
Thanks for Joining www.freehotlinksdirectory.com Welcome to the Mails@freehotlinksdirectory.com mailing list! To post to this list, send your email to: mails@freehotlinksdirectory.com General information about the mailing list is at: http://freehotlinksdirectory.com/mailman/listinfo/mails_freehotlinksdirectory.com If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your subscription page at: http://freehotlinksdirectory.com/mailman/options/mails_freehotlinksdirectory.com/python-list%40pytho...

Question on "Mail Queue" and "sending"
Hi, As you know, when you send an email, the email is in the queue, then the status become.. "sending" We are using our SMTP email server from our Internet provider. We have sometimes ( rarely ) all our emails blocked into the queue. ( "Deferred with.. smtp.example.com" It sounds that this is not the email server from our internet provider, but ONE mail seems to block everything.. but the problem is : which one ???? * Restarting the server doesn't help * Even the reception is blocked ( I can see with my fresh email Backup that news email are in the backup server.. If I delete everything and restart Sendmail everything is back OK ! but this solution is a bit extrem.... - Is there a way to tell the server, that if you have a problem with ONE email... leave it in the queue and send the others ? Thanks On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:48:08 +0200, Steve wrote: > As you know, when you send an email, the email is in the queue, then the > status become.. "sending" > We are using our SMTP email server from our Internet provider. Something doesn't sound right here. If, as you say, you're using your ISP's server, all that should happen at your end is that you send an email and out it goes. What happens to it once it hits the server is not only completely out of your control, you're not even notified unless there's a long delay -- generally speaking, you're not told about delays lasting under 24 hours or so. A...

"valid users" / "users"
Hi, I have some problems in understanding the "users" and "valid users" directive correctly. My setup: [global] .... security = server password server = authserver username map = /etc/samba/users.map .... [BLAH] only user = yes printable = no comment = Projekte-Bereich BLAH browseable = no writable = yes force create mode = 0660 create mask = 0660 force directory mode = 2770 directory security mask = 2770 force directory security mode = 0000 directory mask = 2770 force security mode = 0000 security mask = 0770 force group = +blah path = /pro...

iBook and Mail, no "send mail" sound
A friend of mine has a white iBook (G3, I think, running Panther). She has always liked the "whoosh" sound of mail being sent from Apple Mail, but she said it disappeared after some geek relatives were visiting for the holidays (maybe just a coincidence). The file that causes the sound, "Mail Sent.aiff," accessible by viewing Mail's package contents, is definitely in her Mail app, andn other sounds are working fine in all applications. Another issue that might be related: She has never done any maintenance (with Disk Utility or something like MacJanitor), and never shuts down or restarts--she just closes the lid when she's not using it, keeps Mail and Safari open, etc. I heard that the automatic UNIX maintenance doesn't wake up a laptop to do its thing. Correct? In article <nosredna-C5AFA6.14023828112005@news.isp.giganews.com>, nosredna <nosredna@suscom.net> wrote: > A friend of mine has a white iBook (G3, I think, running Panther). She > has always liked the "whoosh" sound of mail being sent from Apple Mail, > but she said it disappeared after some geek relatives were visiting for > the holidays (maybe just a coincidence). The file that causes the sound, > "Mail Sent.aiff," accessible by viewing Mail's package contents, is > definitely in her Mail app, andn other sounds are working fine in all > applications. Another issue that might be related: She has never done >...

Mail.app
If I select several messages in Mail (v 6.0 in Mountain Lion), the batch of selected messages animates into a "stack" on top of the message viewing area. Nifty animation much like that on iOS. If I then move that collection of messages, say, into another mail folder, usually that's that - the "stack" zips off down into the folder and is gone and my mail view is back to normal. Sometimes - and this seems to happen about once a day - after I drag the batch of messages over, the image of the stack remains. Mail continues to otherwise work normally - if I select a new message, it's right there, visible - under the "stack" image. I can scroll up and down - the stack sits there obscuring my view of the otherwise normally operating message viewer. This gets fixed if I close the viewer window and then open a new one. Anyone else encounter this bug? ...

"mail" and "mailbydest" statistics not recorded to statrep
It seems R6 doesn't record the results of a "mail" and "mailbydest" statistic filter? All the other stats seem to record but not the mail ones. I've tried 602CF1 and 602CF2 and neither record those stats into statrep as they should. ...

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"
Hi i found the following explaination: In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. Ada "in out" parameters have a reliable initial value (that passed in from the calling subprogram) and may be modified within the scope of the called procedure. Ada "out" parameters have no reliable initial value, but are expected to be assigned a value within the called procedure. What does "have no reliable initial value" mean when considering the "out" parameter? By chance I created a small program as follows: =========== s : string := "CAT"; procedure modify ( s1 : out string ) is begin s1(2) := 'U'; end modify; ... put ( modify(s) ); =========== now I get as a result "CUT", and i dont understand why i get this result. Doesnt the "out" specify that its initial value isnt passed in via the parameter? But it seems to be passed in the above. In fact the "out" is acting like an "in out". I am a little confused. Could someone shed some light on this? Many thanks! zork "zork" <zork@nospam.com> wrote in message news:4104d5de@dnews.tpgi.com.au... > Hi i found the following explaination: > > In Ada, "in" parameters are similar to C++ const parameters. They are > effectively read-only within the scope of the called subprogram. > Ada "in out&q...

about "++" and "--"

Sendmail and user accounts containing the domain --> "user@domain.com"
I have create user accounts under Linux as user@domain.com, which creates their home directories just fine. I can retrieve mail for these accounts just fine but Sendmail is refusing to find these accounts. It seems to shop off the domain name by default and only looks for accounts using the "user" part of the address. How do I configure Sendmail to deliver mail to users named "user@domain.com" instead of just "user"? <fuogoitaliano@gmail.com> wrote in message news:73dab499-2180-400a-9d44-3b6109f0ec07@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > I have create user accounts under Linux as user@domain.com, which > creates their home directories just fine. I can retrieve mail for > these accounts just fine but Sendmail is refusing to find these > accounts. It seems to shop off the domain name by default and only > looks for accounts using the "user" part of the address. > > How do I configure Sendmail to deliver mail to users named > "user@domain.com" instead of just "user"? feature virtusers @example.com %1 On Apr 12, 9:10=A0pm, "D. Stussy" <s...@bde-arc.ampr.org> wrote: > <fuogoitali...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:73dab499-2180-400a-9d44-3b6109f0ec07@a23g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... > > > I have create user accounts under Linux as u...@domain.com, which > > creates their home directories just fine. I can retrieve mail for > > these...

Group mailing, want to suppress all the "to" addresses in the "to:" field
I want to do a mass emailing for a club. I don't want all the clubs members to see all the addresses of the other club members for privacy reasons. How do I set up the php mail function to not display the recipients email addresses, just to display something like, "U7 Soccer Club Team"? thanks bobc ..oO(rjames.clarke@gmail.com) >I want to do a mass emailing for a club. >I don't want all the clubs members to see all the addresses of the >other club members for privacy reasons. That's what the BCC (blind carbon copy) header field is for. >How do I set up the php mail function to not display the recipients >email addresses, just to display something like, "U7 Soccer Club >Team"? The TO field has to contain a valid email address, but of course it can be one of your own. Micha Thanks, such a simple answer! I could not find that no matter what I googled. Hide in plain sight. thanks On Jun 11, 3:18 pm, Michael Fesser <neti...@gmx.de> wrote: > .oO(rjames.cla...@gmail.com) > > >I want to do a mass emailing for a club. > >I don't want all the clubs members to see all the addresses of the > >other club members for privacy reasons. > > That's what the BCC (blind carbon copy) header field is for. > > >How do I set up the php mail function to not display the recipients > >email addresses, just to display something like, "U7 Soccer Club > >Team"? > &...

[ace-users] FW: Welcome to the "ace-users" mailing list (Digest mode)
************************************************************************ ******************************** This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it! -----Original Message----- From: ace-users-bounces@cse.wustl.edu [mailto:ace-users-bounces@cse.wustl.edu] On Behalf Of ace-users-request@cse.wustl.edu Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 11:23 PM To: eswars@huawei.com Subject: Welcome to the "ace-users" mailing list (Digest mode) Welcome to the ace-users@mail.cse.wustl.edu mailing list! To post to this list, send your email to: ace-users@mail.cse.wustl.edu General information about the mailing list is at: http://mail.cse.wustl.edu/mailman/listinfo/ace-users If you ever want to unsubscribe or change your options (eg, switch to or from digest mode, change your password, etc.), visit your subscription page at: http://mail.cse.wustl.edu/mailman/options/ace-users/eswars%40huawei.com You can also make such adjustments via email by sending a message to: ace-users-request@mail.cse.wustl.edu ...

Web resources about - "Unreal" mail users in Sendmail+OpenLDAP - comp.mail.sendmail