Can Sendmail modify the envelope time offset from GMT for mail to/from certain hosts?

Hello,

We use Sendmail as a central MTA in our organisation to route messages
internally between different types of mailservers using a
virtusertable.

One of the custom-made mailservers always sends mail as, e.g., GMT+1
when it should be GMT+2. Unfortunately, that can't be changed in the
software.

Is there a way in Sendmail to modify the envelope on messages to or
from certain hosts (or even certain users) to replace the time offset
with, e.g., GMT+1 instead of GMT+2?

Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

- Alan.

0
bruguy (13)

On 07/03/07 10:10, Alan wrote:
> Is there a way in Sendmail to modify the envelope on messages to or
> from certain hosts (or even certain users) to replace the time offset
> with, e.g., GMT+1 instead of GMT+2?

I don't think stock Sendmail can do this.  You are asking to modify the
contents of a message, not the envelope, which is what Sendmail usually
modified.

I'd say that you could write a milter to do this, or an SMTP proxy that
would do this in between Sendmail and the apparently confused MTA.

> Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any help.

No harm in asking.

Grant. . . .

0
gtaylor (1357)

Can sendmail sent all mail to default host?
Anyone know how to configure sendmail on the 3000 to send all mail to a default host instead of attempting delivery on it's own? If so, would you mind sharing how? thanks, bob * To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html * On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:31:18 -0500 (Central Daylight Time), Bob McGregor <bob_mcgregor@gfps.k12.mt.us> wrote: >Anyone know how to configure sendmail on the 3000 to send all mail to a default host instead of attempting delivery on it's own? If so, would you m...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

Emails blocked by certain mail hosts? (mail() function)
I'm using mail($address,$subjectheading,$message,"From: me@mysite.com") to send emails from my site. For the most part, it works okay (for example, I receive the mail in my Yahoo box). But when I check my university email, the message is not delivered. I thought maybe it was because I had included my web address in the subject heading and that it was being filtered out, but I removed that from the subject and it still fails to get through. I'm making a wedding site for some friends now and they want to be able to email everyone on their guest list at once, but I'm afraid the same will happen to some of these addresses as well. Any comments/suggestions on what may be blocking the mail and how I can get around it? I'm not trying to send out any kind of mass ad mailings or anything. Just to people on a mailing list for this site. Hello, On 01/19/2004 02:36 PM, Jonathan wrote: > I'm using mail($address,$subjectheading,$message,"From: > me@mysite.com") to send emails from my site. For the most part, it > works okay (for example, I receive the mail in my Yahoo box). But when > I check my university email, the message is not delivered. I thought > maybe it was because I had included my web address in the subject > heading and that it was being filtered out, but I removed that from > the subject and it still fails to get through. I'm making a wedding > site for some friends now and they want to be able to email eve...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Can not send mail to my Sendmail Server ?
Hi, I set up a sendmail server ( The IP I use is for dummy ): 1. I can email outside from the local host ( by using sendmail -v -t ), up to this moment, I just use IP for the Email Server, the DNS Record is not set yet; e.g. bensonlei@203.194.23.33 2. But I can not reply to the above email address 3. I can not telnet 203.194.23.33 port 110 , nor telnet 203.194.23.33 port 143 from outside, but I can telnet localhost 110, and telnet localhost 143. I installed the service imapd and ipop3d.. What is the problem and how to solve them ? The error messages: Message from ...

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Can't get any mail out with sendmail
Hello everyone I'm using sendmail as part of my A@H 2.8 setup. The environment is mixed with windows server acting as the main mail "server". I want to configure sendmail to use that server as smart-host for all the mail traffic in the office and outside of it, this server is accepting connections from the office ip subnet range. No authentication is used. Here's what I've done so far in my /etc/mail/sendmail.mc <<< FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl dnl FEATURE(`relay_based_on_MX')dnl LOCAL_DOMAIN(`localhost.localdomain')dnl MASQUERADE_AS(`my.domain.tld')dnl FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl dnl FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost)dnl dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(localhost.localdomain)dnl dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomainalias.com)dnl dnl MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(mydomain.lan)dnl define(`SMART_HOST', `internal.exchange-server.dns-name.local') MAILER(smtp)dnl MAILER(procmail)dnl >>> Now, if I go to this `internal.exchange-server.dns-name.local' and do manual mail posting to, say gmail, all is working fine. But when I try to use sendmail as the middle man, it doesn't for some reason seem to work. Here are the logs from /var/log/maillog <<< Jun 5 01:09:07 asterisk1 sendmail[3433]: k54M7IBZ003430: to=<hq4ever@gmail.com>, ctladdr=<root@asterisk1.local> (0/0), delay=00:00:40, xdelay=00:00:40, mailer=esmtp, pri=120305, relay=gmail.com., dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: N...

Sendmail virtual hosting, default mail server
Hi, googl'd quite a lot but couldn't find my answer. Can someone help ? We host several domains, on a single server. The server has different IP addresses, corresponding to the SMTP and POP servers for the domains. Domains are virtual in the sense that we don't use the the virtusertable, but the vdeliver utility of linuxconf : users don't have an account on our system. Everything works fine, e-mails are delivered and sent OK. Our question is the following : Is it possible to have sendmail send the mails from the "domain mail server" instead as from the local loop ? ...

Forward all incoming mails to another sendmail host
Hello My goal is to forward all incoming mails to another host. Since some days I read a lot over forwarding but get no solution for my problem. The only I find for my question is: My system: - FreeBSD acsvfbsd04.acutronic.ch 7.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE #2: Tue Jul 29 15:25:25 CEST 2008 martin@acsvfbsd04.acutronic.ch:/usr/ obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386 - Sendmail 8.14.2/8.14 [snip] define(`confLOCAL_RELAY', `abc.host.ch')dnl MAILER(`local') MAILER(`smtp') [snip] But it does not work. What do I wrong? What did I forget? Kind regards. I think you are looking for the mailertable feature, possibly combined with entries in the access database. FEATURE(`mailertable', `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable.db')dnl You would need to create a file named /etc/mail/mailertable with an entry such as this: mydomain.com esmtp:[abc.host.ch] (Note that you must use a tab, not just spaces, between the domain and the relay). To reduce spam, you should also put a list of all users into the access table. That way, mail for invalid users will never even be forwarded in the first place. To:Martin@mydomain.com RELAY To:Somebody@mydomain.com RELAY .... To:mydomain.com error:5.1.1 550 User Unknown Martin Schweizer wrote: > Hello > > My goal is to forward all incoming mails to another host. Since some > days I read a lot over forwarding but get no solution for my problem. > The only I find for my question is: > > My system: > - Fr...

Sendmaill not able to send mails to certain domains!!
Dear all I am having a problem in sending mails using Dialup (PPP) connections. I will explain the setup. I had configured a mail server in my office using Linux sendmail and Redhat 9, which handles the complete intranet and mails to internet.Now i am facing a problem in which i am not able to send mails to very few domains, like rediffmail.com and some more. for eg: root# telnet mail1.rediffmail.com 25 Trying mail1.rediffmail.com Closing connection of mail1.rediffmail.com Trying mail2.rediffmail.com Closing connection of mail1.rediffmail.com Trying mail2.rediffmail.com Closin...

Sendmail smart host, only if direct mail fails
Hi All, Ideally I would like my sendmail server to send mail directly to all recipients. Unfortunately, our IP address is deemed "dynamic" on some hosts lists, and therefore refuse us. Is there a way to make sendmail try to send the mail directly, but if it fails, to use the smart host? Thanks, Adam Adam Cable wrote: > Ideally I would like my sendmail server to send mail directly to all > recipients. > Unfortunately, our IP address is deemed "dynamic" on some hosts lists, and > therefore refuse us. > > Is there a way to make sendmail try to send the...

Sendmail, Exchange smart host, and local mail
I have a machine running Sendmail and I'd like it to use an Exchange server for a smart host. It's an AIX machine, but I had the same problem on a Tru64 machine, about a year or two ago, and I never got it resolved. I'd like *all* email to go through the Exchange server - local or not. I have the following lines in my sendmail.cf: DSsmtp:mail.mydomain.com DRsmtp:mail.mydomain.com DHsmtp:mail.mydomain.com For outgoing mail, this works fine. However, when I use the command: mailx -v -s Testing me@mydomain.com I see that sendmail rewrites the address as: me@mail.mydomain.com Apparently, Exchange doesn't like that. Is it possible to get sendmail to leave the address completely alone and just make the Exchange server handle it? Thanks dadoo3002@gmail.com wrote: > I have a machine running Sendmail and I'd like it to use an Exchange > server for a smart host. It's an AIX machine, but I had the same > problem on a Tru64 machine, about a year or two ago, and I never got it > resolved. > > I'd like *all* email to go through the Exchange server - local or not. > I have the following lines in my sendmail.cf: > > DSsmtp:mail.mydomain.com > DRsmtp:mail.mydomain.com > DHsmtp:mail.mydomain.com > > For outgoing mail, this works fine. However, when I use the command: > > mailx -v -s Testing me@mydomain.com > > I see that sendmail rewrites the address as: > > ...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

can sendmail filter outgoing mail in the same way as incoming?
can sendmail filter outgoing mail in the same way as incoming? Andi sorry I meant .. can be setup with the use if other tools. "Andrew Crook" <andrew@NOSPAM_andicrook.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:bpsu16$817$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk... > can sendmail filter outgoing mail in the same way as incoming? > > Andi > > Andrew Crook wrote: > can sendmail filter outgoing mail in the same way as incoming? Yes. If the outgoing mail is submitted via SMTP, then a milter will filter it. Sendmail itself makes no real distinction between "incoming&quo...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Can't move mail from Sendmail Server to workstation
Hello, I'm running Sendmail 8.12.11 on a RedHat 9 box I can send and receive mail when seated directly at the Sendmail/RedHat box I can send mail outfrom my XP Professional workstation to the Sendmail/Redhat Box using the mail client and Sendmail sends mail out OK. But, when mail comes in and is placed in /var/spool/mail mailbox, and I try to get that mail using the mail client, I get a "connected" message but nothing happens. Did I define the wrong delivery agent ? Do I need to define another one ? Any help would be appreciated. Here's my mc file : VERSIONID(`Red ...

sendmail putting mails to non-existing hosts into local accounts
Sorry for crossposting (put it also on Stackoverflow, but no responses there): On a linux server ("myserver.com"), I have local users, e.g. users "john" and "mary". User "john" - through his mail client and authenticating correctly on his account "john@myserver.com" - sends an email to "mary@bogus-non-existing-host.com". Sendmail instead of rejecting the email, puts the same in the mailbox of local user "mary" (i.e., Sendmail rewrites "mary@bogus-non-existing-host.com" as "mary@myserver.com", ins...

sendmail needs to send all mail through hosted exchange (outside provider)
First off I am not a programmer nor email administrator and am in need of some plain English straight forward suggestions and/or answers. Have been scouring the old forums and threads trying to find a valid answer to my problem to no avail. Here is the problem: We recently changed our email to an outside service provider and now our RS6000 running AIX no longer can send emails of reports that we are to look at daily. Per higher ups at the company all email is to go through our hosted provider. Our local email server has been removed from service. (Actual domains changed for security/privacy concerns) Before the change all the root mail which contains the needed reports was being sent to: it@sppcomp.org Let's call our new provider: hosted.provider.net was issued a user name of: info@sppcomp.org with a password of: randomstrings In looking for information I have found nothing that directly helps. Virtually all subjects point to a sendmail.mc file which does not exist on our system. In fact I can find no files on our system with a .mc extension. I do find the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file. I have found mention of adding an entry to the DS line which I would assume would look something like: DShosted.provider.net Now when I make this change to the DS line and stop and restart sendmail the desired mail still does not go through. Find in the newest mqueue qfile a line that says: MDefereed: COnnection rufused by sppcomp.org. What am I missing and what are the ...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

Web resources about - Can Sendmail modify the envelope time offset from GMT for mail to/from certain hosts? - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...