Compiling 8.13.4 with GCC 3.3--error, stdarg.h v. varargs.h on Mac OS X 10.4.1?

I'm trying to compile Sendmail 8.13.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.1, using GCC 3.3.

I'm getting the message that GCC no longer supports varargs.h and code
should be updated to use stdarg.h. I know this is a long-standing
problem, and I used to be able to solve it (with Sendmail 8.12.x on Mac
OS X 10.2.x and 10.3.x) by reverting to GCC 3.1.

Unfortunately, GCC 3.1 is not installed on Mac OS X 10.4. The weird
thing is that the last machine I build this way was Sendmail 8.13.3 on
Mac OS X 10.3.7 and it compiled just fine with GCC 3.3. Possibly this
had something to do with the fact that GCC 3.1 was also installed, but I
confirmed today that it was *definitely* GCC 3.3 that I was using by
compiling a second time, but specifically running "gcc_select 3.3" first.

Can anybody give me a better idea of what's going on here? I'm going to
check if GCC 3.1 is even an option in the Developer package (the machine
I'm building on has no DVD-ROM to mount the 10.4 disc), but it seems odd
that GCC 3.3 would work fine with 8.13.3 and not with 8.13.4, even if
there was an OS upgrade in the meantime.

Should I attempt to compile on 10.3.9 and install on 10.4.1? Should I
try to copy the GCC 3.1 files from 10.3.9 to 10.4.1? And anyway, why is
Sendmail still using varargs.h? GCC 3.3 came out a long time ago, and
4.0 is out already!

-Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>
0
amper (12)

Michael Craig Amper  wrote:
> I'm trying to compile Sendmail 8.13.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.1, using GCC 3.3.

> Should I attempt to compile on 10.3.9 and install on 10.4.1? Should I
> try to copy the GCC 3.1 files from 10.3.9 to 10.4.1? And anyway, why is
> Sendmail still using varargs.h? GCC 3.3 came out a long time ago, and
> 4.0 is out already!

sendmail 8 is portable to hundreds of different OS versions,
some of which have varargs.h, some of which have stdargs.h.

If you take a look at the source code, you'll see that sendmail
uses stdargs.h (include/sm/varargs.h).  Obviously your compiler
doesn't define __STDC__ for some obscure reason. Maybe you can
find out why?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
Claus A�mann wrote:

> If you take a look at the source code, you'll see that sendmail
> uses stdargs.h (include/sm/varargs.h).  Obviously your compiler
> doesn't define __STDC__ for some obscure reason. Maybe you can
> find out why?

Hmm...I see. Well, just for shits and giggles, I added a little hack to
include/sm/varargs.h:

#ifndef __STDC__
# define __STDC__

which from the following lines would seem to be all that is needed to
trick the compiler into using <stdarg.h> instead.

....running ./Build -n (under GCC 4.0.0) produces no errors, so we'll see
how this goes!

-Michael Amper
0
amper (12)
6/25/2005 4:28:37 AM
Michael Craig Amper  wrote:
> Claus A�mann wrote:

> > If you take a look at the source code, you'll see that sendmail
> > uses stdargs.h (include/sm/varargs.h).  Obviously your compiler
> > doesn't define __STDC__ for some obscure reason. Maybe you can
> > find out why?

> Hmm...I see. Well, just for shits and giggles, I added a little hack to
> include/sm/varargs.h:

> #ifndef __STDC__
> # define __STDC__

Well, that's a hack that can't be used in general of course.

I really would like to know why gcc on your OS does not define
__STDC__

Is it a bug in MacOS X? Does the compiler need some extra option
(if so: which)?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster
is too lazy to trim his article, and it's wasting my time.
0
Claus

--0-1508012799-1119716974=:9946

Sat, 25 Jun 2005 (14:50 -0000 UTC) Claus A�mann wrote:

> Michael Craig Amper  wrote:
>> Claus A�mann wrote:
>
>>> If you take a look at the source code, you'll see that sendmail
>>> uses stdargs.h (include/sm/varargs.h).  Obviously your compiler
>>> doesn't define __STDC__ for some obscure reason. Maybe you can
>>> find out why?
>
>> Hmm...I see. Well, just for shits and giggles, I added a little hack to
>> include/sm/varargs.h:
>
>> #ifndef __STDC__
>> # define __STDC__
>
> Well, that's a hack that can't be used in general of course.
>
> I really would like to know why gcc on your OS does not define
> __STDC__
>
> Is it a bug in MacOS X? Does the compiler need some extra option
> (if so: which)?

I saw this error also, but I think it's not sendmail exactly--maybe in the
siteconfig settings.  I say that because I was able to fix the error by
changes to siteconfig (below).  However, there were other errors I could not
fix without changing the source.

Here is my own Site Config for Darwin 8.1.  (and see the following note):
#	$Id: Darwin,v 8.0.0 2005/04/30 14:47:30 rroyar Exp $

define(`confCC', `gcc')
define(`confMAPDEF', `-DSASL=2 -DMILTER -DMAP_REGEX -DNETINFO -DNETINET6 -DNIS -DAUTO_NETINFO_ALIASES -DAUTO_NETINFO_HOSTS -DMATCHGECOS -DSCANF -DXDEBUG -DSTARTTLS -DNEWDB -DUSERDB')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', ` -L/opt/local/lib -lsasl2.2.0.20 -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/lib -lpthread -lresolv')
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/opt/local/include')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DSASL=20120 -DSTARTTLS -DBIND_8_COMPAT')
APPENDDEF(`confCCOPTS', `-w -pipe')
define(`confDEPEND_TYPE', `CC-M')
define(`confOPTIMIZE', `-Os')
define(`confUBINGRP', `smmsp')
define(`confSBINOWN', `root')
define(`confSBINGRP', `smmsp')

I also had to change one line in sendmail/conf.c by forcing #define SPT_TYPE
SPT_REUSEARGV at line 2350.  Without that the build appears to work but does
not create an executable because gcc4 has moved sys/exec.h

gcc -Os -I. -I../../include  -I/opt/local/include -DSASL=2 -DMILTER
-DMAP_REGEX -DNETINFO -DNETINET6 -DNIS -DAUTO_NETINFO_ALIASES
-DAUTO_NETINFO_HOSTS -DMATCHGECOS -DSCANF -DXDEBUG -DSTARTTLS -DNEWDB
-USERDB -DDARWIN -DSASL=20120 -DSTARTTLS -DBIND_8_COMPAT -w -pipe     -c -o
conf.o conf.c
conf.c:2363:24: error: sys/exec.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [conf.o] Error 1

You can get around the error by including the 3.3SDK as part of the
includes, but that causes errors when you try to get SASL to work.
I do not know if this is a change for all gcc4.x or just Mac's version.

--
  Robert Delius Royar       The email address is valid as it is written.
Claus A�mann wrote:

> Well, that's a hack that can't be used in general of course.
>
> I really would like to know why gcc on your OS does not define
> __STDC__
>
> Is it a bug in MacOS X? Does the compiler need some extra option
> (if so: which)?

OK, the hack didn't work, anyway.

What *does* work is to copy the devtools/OS/Darwin.7.x file to
devtools/OS/Darwin.8.x. Apparently, it must be the old NetInfo
compatibility stuff that needs varargs.h. Darwin 7.x and up no longer
uses those NetInfo "-D" switches (Mac OS X accesses it through PAM,
anyway), which is why my last compile on 10.3.7 worked flawlessly.

Then the only thing that needs to be corrected is that XTools 2.x
doesn't supply the /usr/include/sys/exec.h, /usr/include/machine/exec.h,
or /usr/include/ppc/exec.h. Copying these from an Xtools 1.5
installation on Mac OS X 10.3.x will take care of this.

Also, in Mac OS X 10.4.x, the smmsp user is no longer supplied with the
system, so a trip through the NetInfo Manager (or the niload, etc.
utilities) solves that.

So, I'm compiled and installed, there's just some permissions to clean
up and a new sendmail.cf and associated files to create, and I should be
off and running!

Thanks for the help,

Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>
0
amper (12)
6/25/2005 5:14:21 PM
r royar wrote:

> I saw this error also, but I think it's not sendmail exactly--maybe in
> the siteconfig settings.  I say that because I was able to fix the error
> by changes to siteconfig (below).  However, there were other errors I
> could not fix without changing the source.
>
> Here is my own Site Config for Darwin 8.1.  (and see the following note):
> #    $Id: Darwin,v 8.0.0 2005/04/30 14:47:30 rroyar Exp $
>
> define(`confCC', `gcc')
> define(`confMAPDEF', `-DSASL=2 -DMILTER -DMAP_REGEX -DNETINFO -DNETINET6
> -DNIS -DAUTO_NETINFO_ALIASES -DAUTO_NETINFO_HOSTS -DMATCHGECOS -DSCANF
> -DXDEBUG -DSTARTTLS -DNEWDB -DUSERDB')
> APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', ` -L/opt/local/lib -lsasl2.2.0.20 -lssl
> -lcrypto -L/usr/lib -lpthread -lresolv')
> APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/opt/local/include')
> APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DSASL=20120 -DSTARTTLS
> -DBIND_8_COMPAT')
> APPENDDEF(`confCCOPTS', `-w -pipe')
> define(`confDEPEND_TYPE', `CC-M')
> define(`confOPTIMIZE', `-Os')
> define(`confUBINGRP', `smmsp')
> define(`confSBINOWN', `root')
> define(`confSBINGRP', `smmsp')
>
> I also had to change one line in sendmail/conf.c by forcing #define
> SPT_TYPE SPT_REUSEARGV at line 2350.  Without that the build appears to
> work but does not create an executable because gcc4 has moved sys/exec.h
>
> gcc -Os -I. -I../../include  -I/opt/local/include -DSASL=2 -DMILTER
> -DMAP_REGEX -DNETINFO -DNETINET6 -DNIS -DAUTO_NETINFO_ALIASES
> -DAUTO_NETINFO_HOSTS -DMATCHGECOS -DSCANF -DXDEBUG -DSTARTTLS -DNEWDB
> -USERDB -DDARWIN -DSASL=20120 -DSTARTTLS -DBIND_8_COMPAT -w -pipe     -c
> -o conf.o conf.c
> conf.c:2363:24: error: sys/exec.h: No such file or directory
> make[1]: *** [conf.o] Error 1
>
> You can get around the error by including the 3.3SDK as part of the
> includes, but that causes errors when you try to get SASL to work.
> I do not know if this is a change for all gcc4.x or just Mac's version.

Mr. Royer:

I saw your post to a German site (and the reply) that tipped me to the
missing exec.h files. So, are you saying that even copying the exec.h's
doesn't entirely fix the problem? I haven't fired the new build up yet,
because I had to move the machine (it is in my wife's way!). I'm going
to be using Cyrus SASL 2.1.21 and Cyrus IMAPD 2.2.12 for this build,
both of which are already compiled and installed, with seemingly no
problems.

-Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>
0
amper (12)

--0-1783834445-1119724397=:28862

Sat, 25 Jun 2005 (13:14 -0400 UTC) Michael Craig Amper wrote:

> Claus A�mann wrote:
>
>>  Well, that's a hack that can't be used in general of course.
>>
>>  I really would like to know why gcc on your OS does not define
>>  __STDC__
>>
>>  Is it a bug in MacOS X? Does the compiler need some extra option
>>  (if so: which)?
>

> OK, the hack didn't work, anyway.
>
> What *does* work is to copy the devtools/OS/Darwin.7.x file to
> devtools/OS/Darwin.8.x. Apparently, it must be the old NetInfo compatibility
> stuff that needs varargs.h. Darwin 7.x and up no longer uses those NetInfo
> "-D" switches (Mac OS X accesses it through PAM, anyway), which is why my
> last compile on 10.3.7 worked flawlessly.
>
> Then the only thing that needs to be corrected is that XTools 2.x doesn't
> supply the /usr/include/sys/exec.h, /usr/include/machine/exec.h, or
> /usr/include/ppc/exec.h. Copying these from an Xtools 1.5 installation on Mac
> OS X 10.3.x will take care of this.
>
> Also, in Mac OS X 10.4.x, the smmsp user is no longer supplied with the
> system, so a trip through the NetInfo Manager (or the niload, etc. utilities)
> solves that.
>
> So, I'm compiled and installed, there's just some permissions to clean up and
> a new sendmail.cf and associated files to create, and I should be off and
> running!
>

> Thanks for the help,
>
> Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>

I'll respond to both your last posts, here.

I found that sendmail gave me a bus error when compiled with -Os and the old
exec if I used a smart host that needed sendmail to authenticate through
SASL.  Local mail that stayed on the machine went through.  There were so
many variables, that I am not sure which of them fixed my problem.  But I
have been using sendmail fine (with SASL self-compiled to be a later version
than Apple supplies) for about two months.  I recently moved it over to
launchd and will see how well that works.  I am including a copy of my
current devtools/cf/Site/site.config.m4 and a patch to sendmail/conf.c that
fixes my compile problems and avoids the varargs error you saw before.
Moving the exec.h file into the /usr/include could be a problem later if
there are conflicts.  If you have the Xcode SDK for 10.3.9 installed, and
the method I describe below does not work, then you might try adding
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk/usr/include')dnl
to your site.config.m4 file

I used that technique before I found the bus error problem.  And that
problem may only hit when there is a smart host.  I cannot run without the
SM, or rather cannot send mail past my firewall, so I do not know if the
error was just in the SASL negotiation--I suspect it was more SASL than
sendmail because sendmail has always either worked for me or failed at the
outset, more the former than the latter.

[Note to make the patch work, you need the -DDARWIN8 in
conf_sendmail_ENVDEF.]

sendmail-8.13.4/devtools/Site/site.config.m4
#	$Id: Darwin,v 8.1.0 2005/06/25 14:05:20 rroyar Exp $

define(`confCC', `gcc')
define(`confMAPDEF', `-DSASL=2 -DMILTER -DMAP_REGEX -DNETINFO -DNETINET6 -DNIS -DAUTO_NETINFO_ALIASES -DAUTO_NETINFO_HOSTS -DMATCHGECOS -DSCANF -DXDEBUG -DSTARTTLS -DNEWDB -DUSERDB')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', ` -L/opt/local/lib -lsasl2.2.0.20 -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/lib -lpthread -lresolv')
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/opt/local/include')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_ENVDEF', `-DSASL=20120 -DSTARTTLS -DBIND_8_COMPAT -DDARWIN8')
APPENDDEF(`confCCOPTS', `-w -pipe')
define(`confDEPEND_TYPE', `CC-M')
define(`confOPTIMIZE', `-Os')
define(`confUBINGRP', `smmsp')
define(`confSBINOWN', `root')
define(`confSBINGRP', `smmsp')

sendmail-8.13.4/sendmail/darwin8.patch
*** sendmail/conf.c.~1~	Mon Mar  7 12:18:44 2005
--- sendmail/conf.c	Sat Jun 25 14:09:37 2005
***************
*** 2359,2365 ****
   # endif /* SPT_TYPE == SPT_PSTAT */
   # if SPT_TYPE == SPT_PSSTRINGS
   #  include <machine/vmparam.h>
! #  include <sys/exec.h>
   #  ifndef PS_STRINGS	/* hmmmm....  apparently not available after all */
   #   undef SPT_TYPE
   #   define SPT_TYPE	SPT_REUSEARGV
--- 2359,2367 ----
   # endif /* SPT_TYPE == SPT_PSTAT */
   # if SPT_TYPE == SPT_PSSTRINGS
   #  include <machine/vmparam.h>
! #  ifndef DARWIN8
! #   include <sys/exec.h>
! #  endif

r royar wrote:

> I'll respond to both your last posts, here.
>
> I found that sendmail gave me a bus error when compiled with -Os and the
> old exec if I used a smart host that needed sendmail to authenticate
> through SASL.

> I used that technique before I found the bus error problem.  And that
> problem may only hit when there is a smart host.  I cannot run without
> the SM, or rather cannot send mail past my firewall, so I do not know if
> the error was just in the SASL negotiation--I suspect it was more SASL
> than sendmail because sendmail has always either worked for me or failed
> at the outset, more the former than the latter.

Well, I've just finished setting up my build, with only the copied
exec.h files, no other changes. So far, everything seems to be working
properly...but I have no need to use a smart host with SASL, so I don't
know if that will be a problem.

The final build is BerkeleyDB 4.3.28, Cyrus SASL 2.1.21, Cyrus IMAPD
2.2.12, Sendmail 8.13.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.1 with all patches, compiled
with GCC 3.3 from XCode Tools 2.0 (except for BDB, which is compiled
with GCC 4.0.0 from XCode Tools 2.0).

Local and non-local mail delivery is working with SMTP AUTH through
saslauthd. If everything runs well for a while, I'll finally get around
to updating my blog with new build instructions.

-Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>
0
amper (12)
6/26/2005 5:50:52 AM
r royar  wrote:

> define(`confUBINGRP', `smmsp')

> define(`confSBINGRP', `smmsp')

smmsp should not be used for that. Why are you changing the default?

> I also had to change one line in sendmail/conf.c by forcing #define SPT_TYPE
> SPT_REUSEARGV at line 2350.  Without that the build appears to work but does
> not create an executable because gcc4 has moved sys/exec.h

What do you mean by "moved"? To /dev/null or renamed?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
article(s) at the end because it's annoying, shows that the poster
is too lazy to trim his article, and it's wasting my time.
0
Claus

--0-1491054104-1119998026=:11378

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 (22:37 -0000 UTC) Claus A�mann wrote:

> r royar  wrote:
>
> > define(`confUBINGRP', `smmsp')
>
> > define(`confSBINGRP', `smmsp')
>
> smmsp should not be used for that. Why are you changing the default?

OK, I removed those lines, did a
../Build clean && ./Build -c && sudo ./Build install

The install did the following:
install -c -o root -g smmsp -m 2555 sendmail /usr/sbin

I haven't changed any files in devtools except for the site.config.m4
Where is it getting the value?  Do I need to delete some other files?  And
what should the UBINGRP and SBINGRP be (see note below about problems using
bin).

I had changed that for complex reasons.  The Darwin 8 system did not seem to
be pulling in either OS/Darwin or OS/Darwin.7.x

Also, Apple's install did not handle -g wheel.  I later pulled in ginstall
to handle the -g settings (-g wheel is what Darwin and Darwin.7 were
setting). bin is what the docs say, but bin causes the submission agent on
my system to error when it tries to open clientmqueue files.

I am not sure why I thought smmsp instead of wheel, but I suspect I found
the site.config file on a site that had a working
SASL/sendmail/SMTP-AUTH/SmartHost setup over two years ago, because I have
versions of that site.config back to when I first installed OS 10.3 and
sendmail with the MTA/MSP setup--when Apple stopped supporting sendmail and
switched to postfix.

> > I also had to change one line in sendmail/conf.c by forcing #define SPT_TYPE
> > SPT_REUSEARGV at line 2350.  Without that the build appears to work but does
> > not create an executable because gcc4 has moved sys/exec.h
>
> What do you mean by "moved"? To /dev/null or renamed?

The file no longer exists.  There is an exec.h in the php headers, but no
where else.  Also, I haven't noticed problems from simply deleting reference
to it in the few third-party programs I have that include it, so I suspect
the defs are now in some of the other includes.  This is the case even in
their latest SDKs so it seems to be on purpose.  I do not have any other
gcc4 installations, but I assume that your question must mean that this is
just an Apple-specific omission.

I will ask on the unix-porting list to see if one of the Apple developers
can explain why it is gone.

--
 Robert Delius Royar       The email address is valid as it is written.
--0-1491054104-1119998026=:11378--
I haven't been able to keep up for the last couple of days, because my
provider's NNTP server is on the fritz again...grrr.

Anyway, my Sendmail build was picking up the devtools/OS/Darwin file
just fine before I forced it to use the copy of Darwin.7.x (renamed to
Darwin.8.x), as evidenced by the -DNETINFO switches that turn up at
compile time.

The exec.h files, as I mentioned before (but somewhat inaccurately),
are installed with XCode Tools v1.5 (the Mac OS X 10.3 version
available from the ADC site), but not with XCode Tools 2.0 (the version
on the Mac OS X 10.4 install disc). I simply copied them (as outlined
in the German site I mentioned before in a reply to one of Mr. Royar's
posts) to /usr/local/include.

Mr. Royar, it sounds to me as if you are using a home-rolled GCC 4.0 or
4.4? I don't think it's GCC that's responsible for these exec.h header
files, but Apple's developer toolkit. I've downloaded XCode Tools 2.1
form ADC, but I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know what changes
have been made there (other than the x86 support that has been widely
publicized).

My devtools/OS/Darwin.8.x is simply a copy of the
devtools/OS/Darwin.7.x file that ships with the Sendmail 8.13.4 source.
Here's a copy of my site.config.m4:

APPENDDEF(`confENVDEF', `-DSASL=20121 -DSTARTTLS')
APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', `-lsasl2.2.0.21 -lssl -lcrypto')
APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/usr/local/include/sasl')
APPENDDEF(`confLIBDIRS', `-L/usr/local/lib')
APPENDDEF(`confLIBS',`-lresolv.9')

I'm not sure if the "-lresolv.9" is still necessary with Mac OS X
10.4.x, but it fixed something with early attempts on Mac OS X 10.3.x
(with Sendmail 8.12.x), so I've left it in there thus far, with
seemingly no detrimental side effects (that I can see, anyway). As far
as the SASL version info, that may not be strictly necessary, either,
but it makes me feel better to include it rather than just specifying a
generic SASLv2, seeing as Apple pre-installs an older version.

I've found that examining the packages from the Darwin source code site
to be helpful in determining the types of changes Apple has made to get
things working the way they like on Mac OS X (particularly as regards
support for Apple's Open Directory). Of course, the problems I've run
into over the past couple of years getting newer versions of Cyrus
SASL, Cyrus IMAP, etc. running make it pretty clear why Apple is
reluctant to move to newer releases of these packages.

My biggest problems have been in the areas of SSL support, Kerberos
support, MD5 support, and the like, all of which are essential for full
integration with Open Directory. I'm going to have to examine these
issues a bit more closely, as I'm not particularly fond of plaintext
passwords. Apparently Apple can make it work, but I haven't, yet. I
can, however, make my build authenticate to an existing Open Directory
(albeit un-Kerberized and with plain passwd's), as Mac OS X will
happily use PAM & Directory Acces.app to authenticate "saslauthd -a
pam" requests.

Hope this help clear things up a bit,

Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>

0
amper (12)
6/29/2005 5:22:47 AM
Wed, 28 Jun 2005 (22:22 -0700 UTC) amper@mac.com wrote:

> I haven't been able to keep up for the last couple of days, because my
> provider's NNTP server is on the fritz again...grrr.
>
> Anyway, my Sendmail build was picking up the devtools/OS/Darwin file
> just fine before I forced it to use the copy of Darwin.7.x (renamed to
> Darwin.8.x), as evidenced by the -DNETINFO switches that turn up at
> compile time.
>
> The exec.h files, as I mentioned before (but somewhat inaccurately),
> are installed with XCode Tools v1.5 (the Mac OS X 10.3 version
> available from the ADC site), but not with XCode Tools 2.0 (the version
> on the Mac OS X 10.4 install disc). I simply copied them (as outlined
> in the German site I mentioned before in a reply to one of Mr. Royar's
> posts) to /usr/local/include.
>
> Mr. Royar, it sounds to me as if you are using a home-rolled GCC 4.0 or
> 4.4? I don't think it's GCC that's responsible for these exec.h header
> files, but Apple's developer toolkit. I've downloaded XCode Tools 2.1
> form ADC, but I haven't installed it yet, so I don't know what changes
> have been made there (other than the x86 support that has been widely
> publicized).

No, I received confirmation from an Apple source that sys/exec.h was removed
in their own builds in October 2004.  It is not in Xcode's gcc-4, but is in
the 10.2 and 10.3 SDKs.  It is not replaced by the Xcode 2.1 upgrade.  In
fact, unless you are compiling code that uses obsolete Apple APIs (and
defines a header variable to that effect), sys/exec.h is an empty file--or
rather defines only its own I-HAVE-BEEN-SEEN variable.  So it shouldn't be a
problem to use it.

There is a define that shows up with gcc.4.0 that may be usable to determine
if one is compiling on a system without sys/exec
% touch /tmp/foo.h &&  cpp-4.0  -dM /tmp/foo.h
Shows that the seemingly meaningful define
#define __APPLE_CC__ 5026
is present but not when you replace cpp-4.0 with cpp-3.3.  Since I have not
changed my default compiler my cpp just points to cpp-4.0, so the same
command above with cpp substituted for cpp-4.0 gives the same define.

> My devtools/OS/Darwin.8.x is simply a copy of the
> devtools/OS/Darwin.7.x file that ships with the Sendmail 8.13.4 source.
> Here's a copy of my site.config.m4:
>
> APPENDDEF(`confENVDEF', `-DSASL=20121 -DSTARTTLS')
> APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', `-lsasl2.2.0.21 -lssl -lcrypto')
> APPENDDEF(`confINCDIRS', `-I/usr/local/include/sasl')
> APPENDDEF(`confLIBDIRS', `-L/usr/local/lib')
> APPENDDEF(`confLIBS',`-lresolv.9')
>
> I'm not sure if the "-lresolv.9" is still necessary with Mac OS X
> 10.4.x, but it fixed something with early attempts on Mac OS X 10.3.x
> (with Sendmail 8.12.x), so I've left it in there thus far, with
> seemingly no detrimental side effects (that I can see, anyway). As far
> as the SASL version info, that may not be strictly necessary, either,
> but it makes me feel better to include it rather than just specifying a
> generic SASLv2, seeing as Apple pre-installs an older version.
>
> I've found that examining the packages from the Darwin source code site
> to be helpful in determining the types of changes Apple has made to get
> things working the way they like on Mac OS X (particularly as regards
> support for Apple's Open Directory). Of course, the problems I've run
> into over the past couple of years getting newer versions of Cyrus
> SASL, Cyrus IMAP, etc. running make it pretty clear why Apple is
> reluctant to move to newer releases of these packages.

Apple's decision to move daemons to launchd, a decision that appears to have
begun about the same time they switched to postfix rather than sendmail,
could be one reason for the switch from sendmail.  It has been difficult to
get launchd and sendmail to play nice, and I am not certain that my system
is yet configured exactly correct.  sendmail ran fine using the old rc-style
startup on Tiger, but it consistently lost the ability to log its
transactions.  Others have reported similar problems with non-launchd
daemons.  Creating a way for sendmail to run as a launchd daemon *appears*
to have fixed this. But the way I had to do it, makes me believe that it
would not work so well on a real server with continual incoming/outgoing
connections.

You appear to be running such a server.  Are you still using the
systemstartup script method?  Do you see any problems keeping your sendmail
transactions logged?  BTW I do not set my loglevel in my sendmail.mc, the
level is left at the default, but upping it does not solve the syslog
problem.  I have been running sendmail under launchd for five days, and logs
are working correctly through three test resets.  Before moving to launchd
logs would stop from sendmail at random times and not restart under any
regular conditions--i.e. sometimes restarting the sendmail daemon would get
logging back; sometimes restarting the syslog daemon would do it; other
times only a system reboot would do it.

--
r royar wrote:

> You appear to be running such a server.  Are you still using the
> systemstartup script method?  Do you see any problems keeping your sendmail
> transactions logged?  BTW I do not set my loglevel in my sendmail.mc, the
> level is left at the default, but upping it does not solve the syslog
> problem.  I have been running sendmail under launchd for five days, and logs
> are working correctly through three test resets.  Before moving to launchd
> logs would stop from sendmail at random times and not restart under any
> regular conditions--i.e. sometimes restarting the sendmail daemon would get
> logging back; sometimes restarting the syslog daemon would do it; other
> times only a system reboot would do it.

Yes, I have been using a /System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail
script copied from Mac OS X 10.2.x (modified to look for
"SENDMAIL=-YES-" in /etc/hostconfig so as not to conflict with the
Postfix installation).

I have installed several of these servers for clients under 10.3.x that
have been running under relatively high loads without any
problems--certainly not with logging transactions. I generally log at
Log Level 32, unless I need to debug something. These servers have been
running for as long as two years under 10.3.x and 10.2.x.

-Michael Amper <amper@mac.com>
0
amper (12)
6/30/2005 6:30:57 AM
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 (02:30 -0400 UTC) Michael Craig Amper wrote:

> r royar wrote:
>

> > You appear to be running such a server.  Are you still using the
> > systemstartup script method?  Do you see any problems keeping your sendmail
> > transactions logged?  BTW I do not set my loglevel in my sendmail.mc, the
> > level is left at the default, but upping it does not solve the syslog
> > problem.  I have been running sendmail under launchd for five days, and logs
> > are working correctly through three test resets.  Before moving to launchd
> > logs would stop from sendmail at random times and not restart under any
> > regular conditions--i.e. sometimes restarting the sendmail daemon would get
> > logging back; sometimes restarting the syslog daemon would do it; other
> > times only a system reboot would do it.
> >

> Yes, I have been using a /System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail script
> copied from Mac OS X 10.2.x (modified to look for "SENDMAIL=-YES-" in
> /etc/hostconfig so as not to conflict with the Postfix installation).
>
> I have installed several of these servers for clients under 10.3.x that have
> been running under relatively high loads without any problems--certainly not
> with logging transactions. I generally log at Log Level 32, unless I need to
> debug something. These servers have been running for as long as two years
> under 10.3.x and 10.2.x.

I had mistakenly assumed your server was running 10.4.x and that you would
eventually need to find a way to switch to launchd for sendmail.  I didn't
see a performance problem possibility under the old StartupItems system,
just loss of reliable logging with 10.4.  But launchd imposes restrictions
on spawning children that would appear to lead to a performance hit with
sendmail.

--
r royar wrote:

> I had mistakenly assumed your server was running 10.4.x and that you would
> eventually need to find a way to switch to launchd for sendmail.  I didn't
> see a performance problem possibility under the old StartupItems system,
> just loss of reliable logging with 10.4.  But launchd imposes restrictions
> on spawning children that would appear to lead to a performance hit with
> sendmail.

Well, the new box *is* running 10.4.1, but I don't see any problems with
using the StartupItems scipt, so far. I'll have to look into the launchd
issue further. My logging so far seems to be OK, as well.
0
amper (12)

--0-1534780763-1120489484=:18283

I am replying to this thread so future searches might find a solution to the
original problem.  I tried sendmail 8.13.5.Alpha1
ftp://ftp.sendmail.org/pub/sendmail/.alpha/darwin/sendmail.8.13.5.Alpha1.tar.gz
and found that without any extra site config, other than what is needed to
add features, and tell sendmail where to find libraries, I got a working
version of sendmail (no compiler errors or crashes while running) on Mac OS
X 10.4.1 (Darwin 8).  The changes to the code described in the release notes
(with respect to the current release version) fixed the errors in the
compile I and others were seeing.

Version 8.13.5.Alpha1
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETINFO NETUNIX NEWDB NIS
                PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF STARTTLS USERDB XDEBUG

Thank you Herr Claus A�mann for recommending this.

--
 Robert Delius Royar       The email address is valid as it is written.
--0-1534780763-1120489484=:18283--

Compilation errors sendmail 8.13.4 Mac OS X 10.4
When I try to recompile sendmail 8.13.4 using gcc 4.4 with Mac's new OS (10.4), the compilation fails, but does not exit, with the following error: cc -pipe -M -I. -I../../include -I/usr/local/include/sasl -DSASL=2 -DMILTER -DMAP_REGEX -DNETINFO -DAUTO_NETINFO_ALIASES -DAUTO_NETINFO_HOSTS -DMATCHGECOS -DSCANF -DXDEBUG -DSTARTTLS -DNEWDB -USERDB -DDARWIN main.c alias.c arpadate.c bf.c collect.c conf.c control.c convtime.c daemon.c deliver.c domain.c envelope.c err.c headers.c macro.c map.c mci.c milter.c mime.c parseaddr.c queue.c ratectrl.c readcf.c recipient.c sasl.c savemail.c sfsasl.c shmticklib.c sm_resolve.c srvrsmtp.c stab.c stats.c sysexits.c timers.c tls.c trace.c udb.c usersmtp.c util.c version.c >> Makefile conf.c:2362:24: error: sys/exec.h: No such file or directory make[1]: *** [depend] Error 1 Making in /Users/royar/src/sendmail-8.13.4/obj.Darwin.8.0.0.PowerMacintosh/sendmail The new sys does not have the exec.h file. Have any others seen this with gcc 4.4 or the new OS X? Did my install simply miss the file, or does conf.c need to be changed? Are there perhaps m4 configurations that need to be changed for the new system? -- Robert Delius Royar The email address is valid as it is written. You know, what this country needs is a seven-cent nickel. -Groucho Marx In article <Pine.OSX.4.62.0504282222130.647@teraqny.sevanohynk.bet>, r royar <royar-nomail@adelphia.net&...

[wx 2.6.3, Mac OS X 10.4.8, gcc 4.0.1] extremely slow wxStyledTextCtrl::Colourise()
Hello, I'm developing a multi-platform source code editor with syntax-highlighting based on wxWidgets. I have a problem with the wxStyledTextCtrl::Colourise() function on the Mac platform. This function is extremely slow on Mac, e.g. it takes about 40 seconds to do the lexing of a file of 500 lines of c++ code, while the same function returns within 1 second on the Windows and Linux platforms using the same version of wxWidgets. (I'm using the wxSTC_LEX_CPP lexer). The problem appears when the user wants to scroll down the wxStyledTextCtrl : the slider blocks and th...

Compiling sendmail 8.13.3 on BSD/OS 4.3.1
I am trying to compile sendmail using GCC 3.2.2 but cc 2.95 keeps getting in the way. How do I tell sendmail to completely ignore cc 2.95.X? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! ...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4
Hi Jason, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, please download the version in our CVS repo at http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ take care, Doug >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X 10.4.2 >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: >> >> /* -*- C++ -*- */ >> // config-macosx.h,v 4.17 2003/01/20 20:02:12 seibel_r Exp >> >> // This configuration file is designed to work with the MacOS X operating >> system. >> >> #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_H >> #define ACE_CONFIG_MACOSX_H >> >> #if ! defined (__ACE_INLINE__) >> #define __ACE_INLINE__ >> #endif /* ! __ACE_INLINE__ */ >> >> #if defined (__GNUG__) >> # include "ace/config-g++-common.h" >> #endif /* __GNUG__ */ >> >> #undef ACE_HAS_EXPLICIT_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATION >> >> #define ACE_SIZE_T_FORMAT_SPECIFIER ACE_LIB_TEXT ("%lu") >> >> #if defined (ACE_HAS_PENTIUM) >> # undef ACE_HAS_PENTIUM >> #endif /* ACE_HAS_PENTIUM */ >> >> #if !defined (_THREAD_SAFE) >> #define _THREAD_SAFE >&g...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, >> I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version >> is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of >> ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to >> explode ;) >> >> Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on Tiger? It'll take some work, but companies like Riverace, Remedy, and OCI can help out with this stuff if staying with 5.3.1 is essential. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for help with this stuff. >> > http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ >> I will try it out, and let you know how it works. Great - if there are any problems please let us know quickly so that we can get the fixes into the x.4.8 beta. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

Ruby 1.8.3 Build error on AIX 5.2 with gcc 3.4.4
Hello, I've found errors on AIX 5.2 with gcc 3.4.4 : -A) Configuration errors : -1) Bind error in ext/bigdecimal because the file ruby.imp doesn't exist. In the main Makefile, $(RBCONFIG) target needs $(ARCHFILE). You can have the line : $(RBCONFIG): $(srcdir)/mkconfig.rb config.status $(PREP) $(ARCHFILE) -B) Compiler errors : -1) ext/readline.c line 13 : <unistd.h> includes some 64 bits features if the configuration program set the macro __LARGE_FILES. So, if you don't use 64 bits file acces you have to add "#undef __LARGE_FILES" in line 13 just be...

sendmail 8.13.0 build fails on Mac OS 10.3.4

Error while ACE 5.3.1 or 5.4.1 compiling and installing by MinGW 3.3.3
Hi, I have installed MinGW packages: binutils-2.13.90-20030111-1.tar.gz gcc-core-3.3.3-20040217-1.tar.gz gcc-g++-3.3.3-20040217-1.tar.gz mingw-runtime-3.3.tar.gz w32api-2.5.tar.gz Also I've configured environment due to ACE-INSTALL.html according MinGW compiler. OS: WinXP SP2. $ACE_ROOT=F:\ACE531 I get next compiling error: F:\ACE531\ace>gmake gmake.EXE[1]: Entering directory `F:/ACE531/ace' d:\Utils\Unix\diff.EXE: -: Invalid argument gmake.EXE[1]: Leaving directory `F:/ACE531/ace' gmake.EXE[1]: Entering directory `F:/ACE531/ace' d:/Utils/Unix/gmake.EXE -f Makefile.dirs SUBDIR_TARGET=all RMCast.subdir gmake.EXE[2]: Entering directory `F:/ACE531/ace' d:/Utils/Unix/gmake.EXE -f Makefile -C RMCast all gmake.EXE[3]: Entering directory `F:/ACE531/ace/RMCast' Installing libACE_RMCast.dll -> F:\ACE531/ace d:\Utils\Unix\cp.EXE: F:ACE531aceRMCast/libACE_RMCast.dll: No such file or directory Installing libACE_RMCast.dll -> F:\ACE531/ace d:\Utils\Unix\cp.EXE: F:ACE531aceRMCast/libACE_RMCast.dll: No such file or directory gmake.EXE[3]: *** [F:\ACE531/ace/libACE_RMCast.dll] Error 1 gmake.EXE[3]: Leaving directory `F:/ACE531/ace/RMCast' gmake.EXE[2]: *** [RMCast.subdir] Error 2 gmake.EXE[2]: Leaving directory `F:/ACE531/ace' gmake.EXE[1]: *** [all.nested] Error 2 gmake.EXE[1]: Leaving directory `F:/ACE531/ace' d:\Utils\Unix\gmake.EXE: *** [all] Error 2 There are no folder separators in path (for exampl...

RE: Compiling 2.5.5 on Mac OS X with CW 8.3
Hi it is an error that __DARWIN__ is not defined in this situation, what = prefix file do you have in your project, as Jos=E9 points out using = cw_cwc.pch here resolves the need to have the precompiled headers = already made. Best, stefan > -----Original Message----- > From: Nadav Aharoni [mailto:NadavA@HumanEyes.com] > Sent: Dienstag, 19. April 2005 13:34 > To: wx-users@lists.wxwidgets.org > Subject: RE: Compiling 2.5.5 on Mac OS X with CW 8.3 - errors >=20 > Continuing with the compilation, I now encountered problems compiling = the > RegexM8 p...

[ace-users] Compilation of ACE 5.5.3 fails on Mac OS X 10.4.8
Compilation of ACE version 5.5..3 (using GNU tools: mkdir build cd build ../configure --enable-static make fails on Mac OS X 10.4.8 (Intel-based). Compilation of ACE.cpp throws many errors that are copied below the problem report form. I can send the complete output when needed. ACE 5.5. compiles and builds without problems on the same machine. PROBLEM REPORT FORM ACE VERSION: 5.5.3 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac Pro (Intel) OS X 10.4.8 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5363) THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform- specific file, simply state which one]: GNU build: ../conifgure --enable-static make THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++)]: CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/ default.features (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: [What example failed? What module failed to compile?] DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? Yes. LINKING? On Unix systems, did you ru...

Gcc 3.4.X to Gcc 4.1.X upgrading
Hi Guys, I know that upgrade from GCC-3.3 to 3.4 is not seamless as the C++ ABI changed between these two versions. There is an issue with the libstdc+ + library which must be taken care of, as well. However is there a issue in upgrading from gcc 3.4.X to Gcc 4.1. X? Say incompatibilities with source code (tempates, defaults include files etc) and ABI Also, is there a issue if I have libraries compiled with gcc 4.1.2 version and gcc-3.4.2? Can we get conflicting symbols? Thanks AS kas wrote: > Hi Guys, > I know that upgrade from GCC-3.3 to 3.4 is [..] Your questio...

Trouble compiling qt-x11-free-3.3.3 Solaris 8 SPARC g++ 3.4.3 gmake 3.79.1
QTDIR=/usr/local/src/qt PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH export QTDIR PATH MANPATH cd $QTDIR ../configure -platform solaris-g++ && gmake This results in: [...] g++ -c -Wall -W -O2 -fPIC -DQT_SHARED -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_NO_CUPS -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGE_FILES -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DQT_NO_XINERAMA -DQT_NO_XCURSOR -DQT_NO_XRANDR -DQT_NO_XRENDER -DQT_NO_XFTFREETYPE -DQT_NO_IMAGEIO_MNG -DQT_NO_IMAGEIO_JPEG -DQT_NO_STYLE_MAC -DQT_NO_STYLE_AQUA -DQT_NO_STYLE_INTERLACE -DQT_NO_STYLE_WINDOWSXP -DQT_NO_STYLE_COMPACT -DQT_NO_STYLE_POCKETPC -I/usr/local/src/qt-x11-free...

Installing MAC OS X 10.1.4, planning 10.3 install as well.
Hi, I changed my Hard drive from a 4 GB to an 18 GB Travelstar (I posted early about using it). I have partitioned it to a 7.7 GB and a 9.2 GB. I installed 9.2 on the 7.7 GB and ran the 10.1.4 install (same way I did with my old drive) but this time, the 10 X install will not detect my 9.2 install, it will ask me to erase the hard drive contents. I then continued, then the install will just hang intermittently, one time during the time it will ask for the language and most often when it is copying the basic config files. Can I install OS X 10.3 here, I know it is not supported by u...

[ace-bugs] Many compiler warnings when compiling 5.4.4 with gcc 3.4.1
ACE VERSION: 5.4.4 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use?: Solaris 2.8 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform- specific file, simply state which one]: // The following configuration file is designed to work for SunOS 5.8 // (Solaris 8) platforms using the SunC++ 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, or g++ compilers. #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_H #define ACE_HAS_NONSTATIC_OBJECT_MANAGER 1 // ACE_CONFIG_H is defined by one of the following #included headers. // #include the SunOS 5.8 config, then add any local updates below. #include "ace/config-sunos5.8.h" #define ACE_LACKS_ACE_IOSTREAM 1 #define ACE_LACKS_IOSTREAM_TOTALLY 1 #define ACE_NTRACE 0 // gcc doesn't define the following types typedef long t_scalar_t; /* historical versions */ typedef unsigned long t_uscalar_t; typedef void *timeout_id_t; typedef long blksize_t; /* used for block sizes */ #endif /* ACE_CONFIG_H */ CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): linked to platform_sunos5_g++.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (used by MPC when you generate your own...

Problem compiling 8.4.10 on solaris with gcc 3.3
I get the following error: tclUnixNotify.c:297: Too few arguments in call to Tcl_JoinThread And indeed, looking at the code shows only one argument to the Tcl_JoinThread call, whereas the definition of Tcl_JoinThread in tclUnixThrd.c shows Tcl_JoinThread taking 2 arguments, the second being an int* to something called state. Troubling indeed. Configuration options: ./configure --enable-shared --enable-threads Any ideas? Kevin Penrose wrote: > > I get the following error: > tclUnixNotify.c:297: Too few arguments in call to Tcl_JoinThread > > And indeed, looking at the code shows only one argument to the > Tcl_JoinThread call, whereas the definition of Tcl_JoinThread in > tclUnixThrd.c shows Tcl_JoinThread taking 2 arguments, the second being > an int* to something called state. > > Troubling indeed. > > Configuration options: ./configure --enable-shared --enable-threads > The one who is to blame for this already confessed..., http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/tcl-core/2619395 It will probably be fixed in CVS Head soon (or is already...) Michael Michael Schlenker wrote: > It will probably be fixed in CVS Head soon (or is already...) Already fixed. First post-8.4.10-release change. :^/ Donal. ...

ANN: Openstep for Zaurus: mySTEP-1.4, myPDA-3.1a5 ANN: Openstep for Zaurus: mySTEP-1.3, myPDA-3.1a4, Zaurus-gcc-2.95.3X10.3a1 ANN: Openstep for Zaurus: mySTEP-1.4, myPDA-3.1a5
Dear all, again new releases for the GNUstep clone "mySTEP" for the Sharp Zaurus and its runtime environment "myPDA" (X11 + window manager) as well as an update for the gcc cross-compiler development kit hosted on MacOS X 10.3 are available. The system is becoming more and more mature - although it is not yet ripe enough for productivity. It allows you to take the source of Cocoa applications, add a simple shell-script build phase, and compile into a "fat binary" .app bundle that runs verbatim on MacOS X as well as on a standard Zaurus on which myPDA is...

Newbie question; why (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is ((1 2) 3 4) and not ((1 2) (3 4))
Hi, I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP upon (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4)) is evaluated to ((1 2) 3 4) I do not understand why this is not: ((1 2) (3 4)) because (cdr (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (3 4) and (car (cons (list 1 2) (list 3 4))) is (1 2) Is there a logical explanation? Thank you for your patience. -- Greg Out of order, gregor <gregor@ediwo.com> writes: > Is there a logical explanation? Yes. > I just started to learn LISP, and stumbled in SICP upon But first, let's talk about LISP, Lisp, Scheme and Common Lisp. LISP is the name of the programming language invented in 1959 by John McCarthy and of the first program implementing it written amongst other by Steve Russel, one of his students. LISP 1.5 is a segueing version of that same program dating about 1962 that had some distribution. Then various lisp languages were developed at various places by various teams. Names such as MacLisp, InterLisp, LeLisp, StandardLisp, vLisp, Lisp Machine Lisp, Scheme, GNU Emacs Lisp, etc. It was quite a mess, and people had a hard time sharing programs. So they talked and designed and wrote and voted and produced the ANSI Common Lisp standard (in the USA), meanwhile in Europe they produced the ISO Lisp standard. Nowadays, almost all the other lisps are "dead", with only scheme (current version r5rs, r7r...

Re: [ace-bugs] Many compiler warnings when compiling 5.4.4 with gcc 3.4.1
Hi Peter, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4.4 >> >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you >> use?: >> >> Solaris 2.8 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform- >> specific file, simply state which one]: >> >> // The following configuration file is designed to work for SunOS 5.8 >> // (Solaris 8) platforms using the SunC++ 4.x, 5.x, 6.x, or g++ compilers. >> >> #ifndef ACE_CONFIG_H >> >> #define ACE_HAS_NONSTATIC_OBJECT_MANAGER 1 >> >> // ACE_CONFIG_H is defined by one of the following #included headers. >> >> // #include the SunOS 5.8 config, then add any local updates below. >> #include "ace/config-sunos5.8.h" >> >> #define ACE_LACKS_ACE_IOSTREAM 1 >> #define ACE_LACKS_IOSTREAM_TOTALLY 1 >> #define ACE_NTRACE 0 >> >> // gcc doesn't define the following types >> >> typedef long t_scalar_t; /* historical versions */ >> typedef unsigned long t_uscalar_t; >> typedef void *timeout_id_t; >> typedef long blksiz...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE 5.4.0 won't compile after GCC upgrade (3.3.3 -> 3.4.3)
Hi Tom, > > > The "resolution" was to upgrade to ACE-5.4.3 or later, which has > > > code fixes to help with the newer compiler. Not sure how > much would > > > need to change, but you may be able to inspect the differences in > > > that part of the code wrt the newer ACE release to backport the > > > fixes. > > Thanks, I've downloaded and am building. Is ACE-5.4.3 the latest > > production release ? > > Well, the definition of "production release" for ACE is a bit murky > imho. Production release is one with 2 numbers. E.g., 5.4 > The developers on this list (almost) always recommend using the > latest package, which is typically labeled a "beta release". > The latest > would be 5.4.4. The developers always recommend *not* using the > "production release", since the next release labeled "beta" > is always a bug-fix-only release. I believe I qualify as a "developer", but have a different take. Production releases are tested well, and often better than the BFO beta. There may be fixes in BFO, but there may be additional bugs also - it happened at 5.4.1. For those wishing to adopt a version of ACE and stick with it, you'll need a version you can get support (fixes and advice) for. For example, Riverace supports releases (e.g., 5.4) and fix kits that Riverace releases for those (i...

Python 3 on Mac OS X 10.8.4
On my mac i do have : $ python --version Python 2.7.2 I want to install Python 3 such as python-3.4.0-macosx10.6.dmg avoiding disturbing the "built-in" version. Is that possible ? On 2014-06-19 07:02:21 +0000, Une B�vue said: > I want to install Python 3 such as python-3.4.0-macosx10.6.dmg avoiding > disturbing the "built-in" version. > Is that possible ? The Installer app won't let you see the target path of each package in the metapackage so you'll have to open each of the them (we're talking official binaries since you explic...

compile error with templates in gcc 4.0.1 on Mac OSX 10.4
I have my own templated vector class and im trying to use my vector class in another templated class. im using GCC 4.0.1 on Mac OSX (if i need to upgrade that isnt a problem) but i want to know if this is a misunderstanding on my part or a compiler issue, or there is a work arround without requiring a compiler upgrade. my vector looks like template<typename T> class MyVector { private: //data public: class iterator { //decl } }; the class im trying to use it in looks like template<typename T> class MyVectorUser { private: MyVector<T *>...

[wx 2.5.3, mac os x 10.3.7, gcc 3.3] problem regarding wxGenericDirCtrl
hi all, currently i am trying to make a wxGenericDirCtrl list files and not just directories. The wxDIRCTRL_DIR_ONLY flag is *not* set, but it just shows directories and no files at all except symlinks. is this a bug, a feature or just my goofiness? please let me know ... tia + kind regards, krystian --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi, Is there a simple way to get the screen image in a wxGLCanvas i...

Does an app run Mac O X 10.4 when it has been built on Mac OS 10. 3+
Hello. I don't have Mac OS X 10.4 yet, my application is built on Mac OS X 10.3.9, does The application can run properly on Mac OS 10.4 ? Thanks ming --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi Ming, Yes, almost everything should work without modification. I only found one thing in Tiger that worked differently than Panther, and it was easy to fix once I got a complete report of what was going on. HTH,...

Mac OS X 10.3.9 to 10.3.8
Is there a way to go back from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8. I have protools that will not work in 10.3.9. Any ideas? thx <fromero@csudh.edu> wrote in message news:1138070312.152531.300390@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Is there a way to go back from 10.3.9 to 10.3.8. I have protools that > will not work in 10.3.9. Any ideas? > Restore from the backup you made before you updated to 10.3.9, or reinstall and update from your install CD. Greg How do yu restore from a backup on a mac? Also, if I reinstall from the CDs wont that remove my applications? G.T. wrote: > <fro...

Web resources about - Compiling 8.13.4 with GCC 3.3--error, stdarg.h v. varargs.h on Mac OS X 10.4.1? - comp.mail.sendmail

Cool tools for compiling to JavaScript
Every programmer has a favorite language or two. JavaScript lovers are the luckiest these days because their language is taking over the Internet ...

Feds put protest activity under microscope in compiling national 'risk forecast'
Use of social media, the spread of "citizen journalism," and the involvement of young people are among the key trends highlighted by a federal ...

10 Tips For Compiling A Deal Sheet
Compiling a deal sheet is a great way of taking stock of your experience and of seeing where your experience may be lacking.

Compiling 64-Bit Code
Describes the 64-bit features available in OS X.

Is there a benefit to compiling your code as you go?
Stack Exchange This Q&A is part of a weekly series of posts highlighting common questions encountered by technophiles and answered by users ...

6 cool tools for compiling to JavaScript
Every programmer has a favorite language or two. JavaScript lovers are the luckiest these days because their language is taking over the Internet ...

Compiling The Absurd Box Score For Space Jam ; Or, Shawn Bradley Sucked Against Cartoons, Too
This is Regressing, a numbers-minded column by our clever friends at the Harvard College Sports Analysis Collective. Over the next few days, ...

We're Compiling Every Police-Involved Shooting In America. Help Us.
The United States has no database of police shootings. There is no standardized process by which officers log when they've discharged their weapons ...

Flat UI Pro Tutorial: Setting and Compiling Using LESS
In this video tutorial, you use components from Flat UI Pro to create a complete simple mail app using LESS. He takes you through the steps to ...

Industrious 4chan user is compiling a list of every videogame ever made
... me to enter a few hundreds of games into my Backloggery account , and I haven't even finished it yet. Ambitious 4chan user Data_baser is compiling ...