Configuring sendmail for mailing lists

Hey all,

I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail
to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not
spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it for
them. What I would like to do is give them an easy way to compose the
message in their own clients, and then send them via Certificate
authenticated SMTP to the groups that they want. I think that they
easiest way for them to do this would be to have a single alias to which
they can mail their message, and have the server mail out to the rest of
the addresses.

I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was
wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list
is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list
quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail
things out.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

	Sincerely,
		Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>

Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail
> to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not
> spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it for
> them. What I would like to do is give them an easy way to compose the
> message in their own clients, and then send them via Certificate
> authenticated SMTP to the groups that they want. I think that they
> easiest way for them to do this would be to have a single alias to which
> they can mail their message, and have the server mail out to the rest of
> the addresses.
>
> I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was
> wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list
> is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list
> quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail
> things out.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
> 	Sincerely,
> 		Aaron Hsu
>
> --
> +++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
> Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>
> Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard.
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm pretty sure you would at least majordomo for this, it not
listserv.
if neither are doable, i suggest setting aliases to handle about 10
addresses at a time.
Google for "sendmail alias include", e.g.:

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90685/ch04s03.html

They served me well for some time, but there are performance problems,
if the file grows too large.

Bye, ska

0
skg34 (195)
6/30/2008 1:32:52 PM
In article <d4aedac2-aba9-46fe-bb95-f93cb2d8c87c@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
ska  <skg@mail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

>Google for "sendmail alias include", e.g.:

[...]

>They served me well for some time, but there are performance problems,
>if the file grows too large.

I did manage to find that information when I was reading through
sendmail related man pages. However, what kind of slow downs could be
caused by a large list? I am not sure how the system mails out messages
from this list, and thus, I do not really know what to expect when it
comes to dealing with large numbers of entries for a list specified
through an :include: directive.

	Sincerely,
		Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>
Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard.
arcfide2 (7)
6/30/2008 6:36:34 PM
On 06/28/08 12:06, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was
> wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list
> is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list
> quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail
> things out.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations?

I would *STRONGLY* recommend that you use a mailing list manager that
has the following abilities:
  - VERP
  - Sends messages as its self rather than the original message sender.
  - Ability to handle bounces (even if that means send them to the list
maintainer).
  - Sends messages with as much personalization as possible.

VERP will allow you to associate bounces back to the original subscriber
that caused the bounce.

Send messages as the mailing list so that you do not have to deal with
receiving servers spam filter, including SPF.

Try to avoid sending messages that appear to be based on templates that
fill in variables, as these are usually easily detectable.

If you would like some pros and cons of various methods to integrate
things with Sendmail, just say the word.

Grant. . . .

0
gtaylor (1357)
6/30/2008 7:39:25 PM
In article <mailman.34.1214854519.14636.comp.mail.sendmail@maillists.riverviewtech.net>,
Grant Taylor  <comp.mail.sendmail@maillists.riverviewtech.net> wrote:
>On 06/28/08 12:06, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
>> I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was
>> wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list
>> is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list
>> quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail
>> things out.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations?
>
>I would *STRONGLY* recommend that you use a mailing list manager that
>has the following abilities:
>  - VERP
>  - Sends messages as its self rather than the original message sender.
>  - Ability to handle bounces (even if that means send them to the list
>maintainer).
>  - Sends messages with as much personalization as possible.

Hrm, here's what I would ideally want, which I think I may not get:

        A) A Real Person's response to a given message will be sent to
           the original composer's email address.
        B) The recipient does not see a "mailing list" as being
           involved. [I.E. -- I want the message From header to remain
           intact, if possible.]
        C) I want to catch bounces from the list so that I can deal with
           them and not have them sent to the composer.

These messages are press releases, so no personalization is necessary,
but the above are somewhat important, because the people who receive
these releases need to be able to get back to the sender conveniently,
but if a press agency with which we work changes addresses, I need to
remove old addresses and update them myself, without bothering with the
sender. I also want to control the list to avoid the situation where my
server could be used as a spam bot if the sender's access was
compromized (this means that I would control the list, rather than the
sender).

>If you would like some pros and cons of various methods to integrate
>things with Sendmail, just say the word.

Consider this ``the word.'' I'd love to hear some comparisons.

	Sincerely,
		Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>
Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard.
envelope from address that is yours for use by the mailing list.  Then
either use the message From: header of the original sender, or use a
sender and a new From: header of the mailing list.  I.e.

    From: <old@domain.tld>

Or

    From: <list@domain.tld>

The second method is my preferred method as it shows that the message is
from the list, yet replies are directed back to the original sender.

> B) The recipient does not see a "mailing list" as being involved.
> [I.E. -- I want the message From header to remain intact, if
> possible.]

Ok, you will want to use the same SMTP envelope from as described above
while using a message From: header from the original message.

> C) I want to catch bounces from the list so that I can deal with them
> and not have them sent to the composer.

Using an SMTP envelope from address specific to the list will direct
bounces to this address rather than either the original sender or any
recipients.

To take this one step further, look in to Variable Envelope Return Path
(a.k.a. VERP).  VERP will use a different SMTP envelope from address per
recipient.  This means that the bounces will go back to different
addresses, which are specific to each original subscriber.  This makes
it very easy to identify who the bounce is for based on what address the
bounce came in to.

> These messages are press releases, so no personalization is
> necessary, but the above are somewhat important, because the people
> who receive these releases need to be able to get back to the sender
> conveniently, but if a press agency with which we work changes
> addresses, I need to remove old addresses and update them myself,
> without bothering with the sender.

*nod*

You can send messages with out any personalization.  Even to the point
that the To: header does not match the recipient or does not exist at
all.  However both of these have their down falls when it comes to spam
filtering.  I still suggest personalization, even if it only consists of
a To: just contains the recipients email address.

> I also want to control the list to
> avoid the situation where my server could be used as a spam bot if
> the sender's access was compromized (this means that I would control
> the list, rather than the sender).

Ok, to me, this can be interpreted as two different things:
  - Message moderation
  - Subscriber list maintenance

Message moderation is where any messages coming in to the list have to
be approved before they will be sent to the list.  This means someone /
something will have to take action on each message to the mailing list
for it to be sent out.

With any moderation / (after the fact) filtering you have to be careful
to not send back scatter if you decide to bounce a message by responding
to the purported message sender explaining why their message is not
accepted.

Subscriber list maintenance is nothing major.  This usually just means
editing a file, or a field in a web page.

Grant. . . .

0
gtaylor (1357)
7/1/2008 7:01:54 AM
On 7/1/2008 12:57 AM, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> Consider this ``the word.'' I'd love to hear some comparisons.

I have worked with MailMan and alias lists as well as been subscribed to
  MajorDomo, ListServ, and Ecartus mailing lists.

MailMan
  - Pros
     - MailMan (IMHO) has a good end user interface.
     - MailMan (IMHO) has a good list maintainer interface.
     - MailMan can do some MIME munging.
     - MailMan can restrict who can send to a list.
     - Messages can be held (moderated) for approval
     - MailMan uses its own internal subscriber database.
     - Moderated messages can be released for delivery.
     - MailMan can do full or partial personalization.
     - MailMan can optionally use VERP.
     - Ability to direct replies.
  - Cons
     - MailMan is written in Python.
          (Too much load for me.)
          (I don't like Python as a language.)
     - MailMan uses its own internal subscriber database.

Sendmail aliases
  - Pros
     - Should be relatively light weight with Sendmail altering
recipients to the original message.
  - Cons
     - Can not do any personalization.
     - Can not use VERP.
     - No good interface (that I'm aware of) to manage things (1).
     - Can not do MIME munging (1).
     - Can not restrict who can send to what list (1).
     - No control over where bounces go to.
     - Can not direct replies (1).

MajorDomo, ListServ, and Ecartus
    (based on being subscribed to and reading about them)
  - Pros
     - Should be relatively light weight with Sendmail altering
recipients to the original message.
     - Have the ability to do some (limited?) personalization.
     - Have some ability to direct where bounces are sent to.
     - Should have the ability to filter who can send to what list.
  - Cons
     - Multiple aliases are needed per list to filter where messages are
in the delivery stream.

all
  - Cons
     - To the best of my knowledge, Sendmail will accept and then either
deliver to or relay to the mailing list managers and potentially have to
deal with a bounce.  (I'm still looking for a way for Sendmail to filter
protected lists during the original SMTP transaction.)

1 - With out the help of another program.

There are *MANY* *MANY* *MANY* different mailing list managers out
there.  I have just commented on the few that I've been exposed to.

My main problems with all the above is the fact that they all run after
the fact (SMTP transaction) and as such you don't have the ability to
interface with the SMTP transaction.

I am looking for a way to filter who can send to what list (read:
protected recipients) as well as doing spam and / or content filtering
at the SMTP transaction level.  I am to the point that I'm considering
creating a new map of domains that are hosted by the mailing list
manager to decide if the envelope needs to go through a socket / program
map to test the sender / recipient pairs against lists as well as
running more advanced content filters (mlm milter) (in addition to all
appropriate milters) to filter prohibited content so that I would be
able to reject during the SMTP transaction.

(Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.)

Grant. . . .

0
gtaylor (1357)
7/1/2008 7:37:20 AM
Firstly, this is kind of not related to the O.P...

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Grant Taylor wrote:

>   From: <list@domain.tld>
>
> The second method is my preferred method as it shows that the message is from
> the list, yet replies are directed back to the original sender.

This is one thing I don't completely agree on,  if I get a message from,
say you, on a mailing list, you make a public comment, if I wish to add to
your comment, or just make comment on your comment, it should be sent to
the list, it should be for public consumption, unless the comment is
deemed of a sensitive nature then my reply would be direct and marked as
"off list", I have never understood why people send private replies to
senders of posts on mailing lists. I, as I suspect you, read this group
via a list, does this mean we should be replying to each other in
privateand not to our lists and hence usenet? I don't think so, it
should go the lists, and subsequently usenet.

my 2c worth anyway.... sorry to drag you away from the main topic Grant :)

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.
0
res340 (473)
7/1/2008 11:33:06 AM
On 07/01/08 06:33, Res wrote:
> This is one thing I don't completely agree on,  if I get a message from,
> say you, on a mailing list, you make a public comment, if I wish to add
> to your comment, or just make comment on your comment, it should be sent
> to the list, it should be for public consumption, unless the comment is
> deemed of a sensitive nature then my reply would be direct and marked as
> "off list", I have never understood why people send private replies to
> senders of posts on mailing lists. I, as I suspect you, read this group
> via a list, does this mean we should be replying to each other in
> privateand not to our lists and hence usenet? I don't think so, it
> should go the lists, and subsequently usenet.

Oh, sorry.  Let me clarify.

    From: <list@domain.tld>

Is my preferred method for "Announcement" type mailing lists.

    From: <old@domain.tld>

Is my preferred method for "Discussion" type mailing lists.

I 100% agree with you, replies to messages from a discussion mailing
lists should go back to the mailing lists so that others can benefit
from the content.

Heck, I have Procmail munging messages from quite a few mailing lists
that I'm on adding / changing the Reply-To: header so that replies to
back to the list.  Saves me a *lot* of time and head aches.

> my 2c worth anyway.... sorry to drag you away from the main topic
> Grant :)

No problem.  This is what threading is for.  :)

Grant. . . .

0
gtaylor (1357)
7/1/2008 2:39:53 PM
Grant Taylor:
> I am looking for a way to filter who can send to what list (read:
> protected recipients) as well as doing spam and / or content filtering
> at the SMTP transaction level.  I am to the point that I'm considering
> creating a new map of domains that are hosted by the mailing list
> manager to decide if the envelope needs to go through a socket / program
> map to test the sender / recipient pairs against lists as well as
> running more advanced content filters (mlm milter) (in addition to all
> appropriate milters) to filter prohibited content so that I would be
> able to reject during the SMTP transaction.

Yes, the backscatter from invented/abused sender adresses drove us nuts,
too.  This here is a working prototype solution for sendmail which does
the job.

Idea:  every subscriber-only list covered by this scheme
is named foo.list@my.dom.  In this prototype, "test.list"
is an (:included:) mailing list;  the map "subscribers"
is just the same file in this example (a text map), but
would typically be a hashed map.   For my lists, it would
be sufficient to compile a single, common "subscribers" map
holding all addresses from any of the *.list@my.dom mailing
lists, effectively allowing "cross-posts".
YMMV, and if your mailing lists need to be strictly closed
each to its own readership, you'd have to create and check
those individual maps.  Anwyay, here we go:

Ksubscribers text -o -m -aACK /etc/mail/test.list

SLocal_check_rcpt
R < $+ >                        $1
R $- . list  @ $=w              $: <ML> $1 . list @ $2
R <ML> $- . list $+             $: <ML> $(subscribers $&f $: NAK $) $1
R <ML> NAK $-                   $#error $: 550 $&f not subscribed to closed list
R $*                            $@ OK

Comments would be appreciated.

							Martin Neitzel
0
neitzel1 (7)
7/2/2008 11:23:08 PM
In article
<mailman.42.1214897842.14636.comp.mail.sendmail@maillists.riverviewtech.net>
Grant Taylor <gtaylor@riverviewtech.net> writes:

>Sendmail aliases
>  - Cons
>     - Can not restrict who can send to what list (1).

Not as a canned feature, but it's "pretty easy" to setup, as a variation
of what is described at http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html
- Martin's suggestion in the followup looks nice, using the subscriber
list for this (I haven't checked whteher the details are OK). A milter
is another possibility of course.

>     - No control over where bounces go to.

Yes, if you add a owner-alias, sendmail will use that for the envelope
sender of the outgoing mail - see doc/op/op.*

And to address a concern in another subthread, no, processing large
alias :include: lists is not a performance problem per se - i.e. reading
the list is completely negligible in comparison to actually sending the
mail out. (At least Majordomo and probably several other MLMs actually
use :include: lists.)

Still, for general use I would probably recommend a MLM anyway, for
easier administration (perhaps in particular automated subscription-
with-confirmation handling).

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)
7/3/2008 10:36:45 AM
per@hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:

>In article
><mailman.42.1214897842.14636.comp.mail.sendmail@maillists.riverviewtech.net>
>Grant Taylor <gtaylor@riverviewtech.net> writes:
>>
>>Sendmail aliases
>>  - Cons
>>     - Can not restrict who can send to what list (1).

>Not as a canned feature, but it's "pretty easy" to setup, as a variation
>of what is described at http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html

Alright, I've been looking over this for a bit, and I am afraid I am a
little ignorant when it comes to sendmail rulesets. It just is not any
thing that I have had to learn so far. Now, reading what is on that page,
I am a bit confused about how I would go about limiting who can mail to
local lists (defined as included aliases) by using certificate based
authentication.

Any Hints?

	Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>
Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard.
arcfide (659)
7/20/2008 11:00:05 PM
In article <3M2dnc9iVJLoXh7VnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@giganews.com> Aaron W. Hsu
<arcfide@sacrideo.us> writes:
>per@hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:
>
>>In article
>><mailman.42.1214897842.14636.comp.mail.sendmail@maillists.riverviewtech.net>
>>Grant Taylor <gtaylor@riverviewtech.net> writes:
>>>
>>>Sendmail aliases
>>>  - Cons
>>>     - Can not restrict who can send to what list (1).
>
>>Not as a canned feature, but it's "pretty easy" to setup, as a variation
>>of what is described at http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html
>
>Alright, I've been looking over this for a bit, and I am afraid I am a
>little ignorant when it comes to sendmail rulesets. It just is not any
>thing that I have had to learn so far.

No need for excuses, it certainly isn't trivial (even if simpler than it
used to be due to the many hooks that let you separate the "main" m4-
generated rulesets from local additions)...

> Now, reading what is on that page,
>I am a bit confused about how I would go about limiting who can mail to
>local lists (defined as included aliases) by using certificate based
>authentication.

....and that certainly gets you outside the "pretty easy" area. First,
strictly speaking SMTP authentication doesn't really give you a "who" as
in the sender of a message, but a "which" as in the SMTP client that is
sending it to you. I.e. if you are using certificate auth on an
individual end-user basis, it can only realistically work for this
purpose when the end-user's MUA is talking directly to the mailing list
server. If that fits your bill, or if you have setup MTA->MTA
certificate auth and only need to restrict access on the MTA level, what
you want to do should be possible.

>Any Hints?

Yes, but only hints - I haven't tested any of this. On succesful
certificate verification, the DN of the cert should be available in the
${cert_subject} macro (interpolated at runtime with $&{cert_subject}).
Those strings are pesky stuff to manage in sendmail rulesets and maps,
so they are encoded as described in the STARTTLS section of cf/README.
You need to list the allowed DNs somewhere, either in a flat text file
or in a map - the main difference is that with a flat file, you need to
restart sendmail for changes to take effect. You can of course
alternatively use the DN of the signing CA if that is sufficient - this
is available in ${cert_issuer} (this info can be found in doc/op/op.* in
the sendmail distribution).

As an (again, untested) example, assuming you use the DN of the cert and
have the allowed ones listed (one per line, encoded as per above) in the
file /etc/mail/allowed-subjects, something like this could work:

1. Copy the first config suggestion on the above page upto the "check to
see if the sender is local" line (you would list the mailing list
aliases in /etc/mail/intern.only - or you could use another name of
course).

2. Add a line

F{AllowedSubjects}/etc/mail/allowed-subjects

in the LOCAL_CONFIG section.

3. Instead of the "check to see if the sender is local" stuff, use this:

# check to see if the SMTP client presented a cert with allowed DN
R$*			$: $&{cert_subject}
R$+			$: <$1>
R<$={AllowedSubjects}>	$@ OK
R$*			$#error $: 551 $&f not allowed to send to recipient

(the left-hand and right-hand side of the rules should be separated by
<TAB> characters).

4. Good luck...

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)
7/30/2008 10:18:23 PM
per@hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:

>In article <3M2dnc9iVJLoXh7VnZ2dnUVZ_jidnZ2d@giganews.com> Aaron W. Hsu
><arcfide@sacrideo.us> writes:
>>per@hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:
>>
>>>In article
>>><mailman.42.1214897842.14636.comp.mail.sendmail@maillists.riverviewtech.net>

>>>Not as a canned feature, but it's "pretty easy" to setup, as a variation
>>>of what is described at http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html
>>
>>Alright, I've been looking over this for a bit, and I am afraid I am a
>>little ignorant when it comes to sendmail rulesets. It just is not any
>>thing that I have had to learn so far.

>No need for excuses, it certainly isn't trivial (even if simpler than it
>used to be due to the many hooks that let you separate the "main" m4-
>generated rulesets from local additions)...

Actually, I finally found some relavent sections in the op.txt manual
and from some other knowledge I already have about sendmail and the
README, I managed to figure out roughly how the rulesets can work. Talk
about annoyingly non-obvious. However, it certainly isn't "HARD" once
I understand what is going on.

>> Now, reading what is on that page,
>>I am a bit confused about how I would go about limiting who can mail to
>>local lists (defined as included aliases) by using certificate based
>>authentication.

>...and that certainly gets you outside the "pretty easy" area. First,
>strictly speaking SMTP authentication doesn't really give you a "who" as
>in the sender of a message, but a "which" as in the SMTP client that is
>sending it to you. I.e. if you are using certificate auth on an
>individual end-user basis, it can only realistically work for this
>purpose when the end-user's MUA is talking directly to the mailing list
>server. If that fits your bill, or if you have setup MTA->MTA
>certificate auth and only need to restrict access on the MTA level, what
>you want to do should be possible.

Fortunately, I only want to allow access from people connecting directly
to my SMTP Server. That avoids one road bump. Secondly, at the moment,
my server is not high-volume enough for me to even need to worry about
the details of identifying single users, which makes it possible for
me to use a more broad stroke on my rules.

>>Any Hints?

>Yes, but only hints - I haven't tested any of this. On succesful
>certificate verification, the DN of the cert should be available in the
>${cert_subject} macro (interpolated at runtime with $&{cert_subject}).
>Those strings are pesky stuff to manage in sendmail rulesets and maps,
>so they are encoded as described in the STARTTLS section of cf/README.
>You need to list the allowed DNs somewhere, either in a flat text file
>or in a map - the main difference is that with a flat file, you need to
>restart sendmail for changes to take effect. You can of course
>alternatively use the DN of the signing CA if that is sufficient - this
>is available in ${cert_issuer} (this info can be found in doc/op/op.* in
>the sendmail distribution).

I saw this and I want to play with this when I have some more time, but
for now I have been able to achieve what I want just by checking whether
the server in question is VERIFY=Ok. The reason that I can do this is
that I only VERIFY certificates issued from my own self-signed certificate,
which means that I can have some good degree of control over who has
one.

In the end, I fixed it up well enough just by checking against the
verify macro. This prevents anyone I haven't given broad access to
from sending mail to the server, and I control or know the users I give
certs to well enough to make sure that they do not send out mails I
tell them not to send out. :-) So, in the end, my life was easy enough.
Eventually, I'll have to do as you mention above and map the cert_subject
macros against a listing of allowed domains, but until then, things
are going well.

Thanks so much for the help, by the way. I am going to be saving this
post so that I can work over it in the future. One thing that got me
was the necessary restart that had to take place during any change of
a plain text mapping file. After I figured that out, things were good.

	Sincerely,
		Aaron Hsu

--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us>
Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard.
arcfide (659)

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Mailing list with Sendmail ?
Hi, Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received into a TXT file for instance ? That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... how to configure it ? Thanks On Mar 23, 9:06 am, Steve <st...@everybody.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received > into a TXT file for instance ? > > That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... > > how to configure it ? > > Thanks check out http://www.klake.org/sma/ ...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

protected mailing lists with sendmail
Hello I have a few lists set up in sendmail in the aliases file. Is there a trick to allow only members of the lists to send to the lists and leave all other addresses normally? thanks. On Feb 28, 6:03 am, "joe" <jcha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello I have a few lists set up in sendmail in the aliases file. Is > there a trick to allow only members of the lists to send to the lists > and leave all other addresses normally? thanks. http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/restrict.html http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rcptauthreq http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rcptauthsender.txt http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail Joe, On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, joe wrote: > Hello I have a few lists set up in sendmail in the aliases file. Is > there a trick to allow only members of the lists to send to the lists > and leave all other addresses normally? thanks. I suggest you use a real mailing list server, a quick, small, and fast and secure one I suggest is Ecartis, http://www.ecartis.org Very simple to install and use, ISC and freelsits use it, and it runs on a server gatewaying this newsgroup, plus countless others. The alias file is not really designed for what you want, Ecartis, mailman etc are. -- Cheers Res "We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.0703010842080.11531@ebfjryy.nhfvpf.arg> Res <res@ausics.net> writes: > >On Wed,...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

sendmail simple mailing list problem
I have set up sendmail to use my ISP's outgoing mail server as a relay for mail from my server using the instructions I found here http://www.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html I use dyndns so that everyone can find myserver (as myserver.dyndns.net). I can send and receive mail on my server. I am also using a simple mailing list with about 15 subscribers that I set up using a mail alias (i.e. with the line 'mylist: : include:/usr/home/me/lists/mylist.txt') I can send mail to anyone on the list by sending mail to mylist@myserver.dyndns.net from any of my email accounts and from my account at my ISP (call it myaccount@myISP.com). Other users have also successfully sent mail to the list. However, a subset of the users also use my ISP and their mail to the list gets bounced by the ISP server. The error message in the bounced email is 553 You are not authorized to send mail as <otheruser@myisp.com> 501 5.6.0 Data format error So <myaccount@myisp.com> and <myotheraccount@mywork.com> can send mail to the list but not <otheruser@myisp.com>. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks Alan Alan Curtis wrote: > So <myaccount@myisp.com> and <myotheraccount@mywork.com> can send mail > to the list but not <otheruser@myisp.com>. > Any suggestions on how to fix this? Would it be an option to set up the mailinglist in the traditional not-just-a-single-alias style, in particular, rewriting the enve...

How configure sendmail for accepting mail for ANY rcpt address
I want configure sendmail for accepting mails which are from any sender address (anyuser@anydomain) and for any recipient addresses ( again, anyuser@anydomain), and delivering them to one local account. Reccomended practice for virtual domains probably isn't working - - I can create catch-all entry in a virtusertable for one destination domain, but how make entry for catch *all* destination domains? Is there any trick for this? Thank, Fr. Hanzlik Franta Hanzlik <franta@hanzlici.cz> wrote: > I want configure sendmail for accepting mails which are from any sender &g...

Configure sendmail to add BCC to all sent mail..
Hi to all, we're using sendmail as smtp daemon on our company's mail server. Some employees use a special account configured on their mail client software (e.g costumercare@company.com) to answer costumers' requests. We'd like to feed a database with all sent mail (the sender is obviousely keept anonymous, since the account used to send mail is the same for all employees): in order to do this, we asked the employees to add a bcc to a special mail address. A daemon, running on another server, periodically reads the mailbox asssigned to the special mail address and elaborates messages. The problem is, in the most of answers the employee simply forgets to add a BCC, so we're searching for a method, or plugin, to make sendmail add automatically the special BCC address to all mail sent from costumercare@company.com. There's a way to do this ? I understand that a such method may be used to violate employees' privacy, but this is not the case, 'cause it would be applied only to a non-personal mail account and employees will always be aware all sent mail 'll be recorded. Thanks in advance, and sorry if this's a FAQ. Scorpio. Scorpio wrote: > Thanks in advance, and sorry if this's a FAQ. It probably is. You can use MIMEDefang and have a filter_end routine something like this: if (lc($Sender) eq '<costumercare@company.com>') { add_recipient('<magic-bcc-address@company.com>'); } MIMED...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

restrict senders to mailing list using sendmail and mailscanner
I would like to restrict our mailing list to accept emails sent from specific senders. I am using sendmail 8.12.8 and Mailscanner. Can anyone provide me with some help? Meow ...

dual sendmail and reject unknown user for mailing lists
We use a dual sendmail with amavisd-new and need to reject unknown users. I tried a setting adapted from the proposal of this posting from 2005: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.sendmail/browse_thread/thread/88cc72d7c4d3a6e/9e762b7cc72d0c5f?lnk=gst&q=Simone+Marx#9e762b7cc72d0c5f Everything's fine, but it doesnt work for my majordomo mailinglist aliases. I have configured three maps: Kaliasp nis -m mail.aliases Kmajordomop hash -m majordomo.aliases Kuserp user -m nis:passwd.byname My Rules in Local_check_rcpt are: SLocal_check_rcpt R$* $: <?> $&{rcpt_addr} R<?> $+ @ $=w $: <@> $1 mark local address R<?> $* @ $* $@ OK ignore remote address R<?> $+ $: <@> $1 mark unqualified user R<@> $+ + $* $: < $(aliasp $1+$2 $: @ $) > $1 + * plussed alias? R<@> $+ + $* $: < $(aliasp $1+$2 $: @ $) > $1 +* alias? R<@> $+ $: < $(aliasp $1 $: @ $) > $1 normal alias? R<@> $+ $: < $(majordomop $1 $: @ $) > $1 majordomo alias? R<@> $+ $: < $(userp $1 $: @ $) > $1 R<@> $+ $#error $@ 5.1.1 $: "550 User unknown" In address testing mode sendmail match all tested mailinglist addresses. But testing the ruleset above for a majordomo address returns every time "User ...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

Web resources about - Configuring sendmail for mailing lists - comp.mail.sendmail

Configuring Push Notifications
Describes the common workflows to develop, test, and distribute your app.

Installing and configuring Graphite
Here are some notes I jotted down while installing and configuring Graphite, which isn't a trivial task, although the official documentation ...

Configuring Android Data Binding Just Got Easier
The [Android Data Binding Guide](https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html) was recently updated with a new way to configure ...

Configuring your Mac's network settings
At one time, a typical Mac user would no more have connected a couple of computers to the Internet via a local network than they would have extracted ...

Configuring a secure Ubuntu Linux Virtual Private Server
... acid which is a web based application to be able to view snort alerts $ sudo apt-get install acidbase Select No when it prompts you for configuring ...

Custom Configuring Java Apps: Extending log4j
Creating an extended, server-side version of a log4j Logger that automatically configures itself and adds printf -like logging methods to the ...

T-Mobile networks start configuring themselves, thanks to Eden Rock
T-Mobile US has tapped Eden Rock Communications , a Seattle-area wireless networking startup, to add some self-awareness to its networks. Eden ...

Configuring Eclipse · WhisperSystems/TextSecure Wiki · GitHub
TextSecure - A private messenger for Android.

Why NASA Is Re-Configuring Part of the International Space Station
NASA robotics flight controllers are preparing for moving day at the International Space Station.

Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming
When we moved into the new house and setup the new home office a few years back, I posted about wiring the house for wired Cat-6 ethernet. I've ...