dual sendmail and reject unknown user for mailing lists

We use a dual sendmail with amavisd-new and need to reject unknown
users. I tried a setting adapted from the proposal of this posting
from 2005:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.sendmail/browse_thread/thread/88cc72d7c4d3a6e/9e762b7cc72d0c5f?lnk=gst&q=Simone+Marx#9e762b7cc72d0c5f

Everything's fine, but it doesnt work for my majordomo mailinglist
aliases. I have configured three maps:

Kaliasp nis -m mail.aliases
Kmajordomop hash -m majordomo.aliases
Kuserp user -m nis:passwd.byname

My Rules in Local_check_rcpt are:
SLocal_check_rcpt
R$*                     $: <?> $&{rcpt_addr}
R<?> $+ @ $=w           $: <@> $1               mark local address
R<?> $* @ $*            $@  OK                  ignore remote address
R<?> $+                 $: <@> $1               mark unqualified user
R<@> $+ + $*            $: < $(aliasp $1+$2 $: @ $) > $1 + *
plussed alias?
R<@> $+ + $*            $: < $(aliasp $1+$2 $: @ $) > $1 +*     alias?
R<@> $+                 $: < $(aliasp $1 $: @ $) > $1           normal
alias?
R<@> $+                 $: < $(majordomop $1 $: @ $) > $1
majordomo alias?
R<@> $+                 $: < $(userp $1 $: @ $) > $1
R<@> $+                 $#error $@ 5.1.1 $: "550 User unknown"

In address testing mode sendmail match all tested mailinglist
addresses. But testing the ruleset above for a majordomo address
returns every time "User unknown."  I thought a majordomo alias should
be handled like a normal alias - especially because the map lookup
only look for the match, not for the content.
Can everyone give me a hint?
Best regards,
Annette

0
jaekel (3)

jae...@math.tu-berlin.de wrote:

Try to debug the rule set:

sendmail -d21.12 -bt
Local_check_rcpt addr

ska
0
skg34 (195)
5/20/2009 7:51:34 AM
On 20 Mai, 09:51, ska <s...@mail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:
> jae...@math.tu-berlin.de wrote:
>
> Try to debug the rule set:
>
> sendmail -d21.12 -bt
> Local_check_rcpt addr
>
> ska

I found the problem: Map Kmajordomop needs the full path of the alias
file. Now it works. Thanks!
Annette
0
jaekel (3)

sendmail stops processing mails from list if one unknown local user is present
Hi there, I'm running out of ideas and desperatly hope someone can show me what I can do I've set up a new mailserver running sendmail 8.14.7 on OpenSuSE 13.1, having had sendmail 8.13 before. When I send mail to a list address, which is a valid mail address found in our LDAP resolving to three different addresses one of which is a local address (@mydomain) with an invalid alias (user unknown) sendmail rejects the mail with "User unknown" and doesn't process the other two valid addresses (not local). Instead it waits until timeout. It seems to clear the &q...

sendmail/cyrus accepts mails for "unknown users"
Hi, the info-cyrus maillingliste told me to place my question here: I'm runnung sendmail 8.12.3 (Debian woody standard package) with cyrusv2mailer (cyrusv2.m4,v 1.1 2002/06/01) and cyrus 2.1.17 (backport from http://people.debian.org/~hmh/). Today I had a heavy spam attack caused by the fact, that sendmail accepts mails for non existing users (all addresses are defined in aliases or virtusertable). Emails those unknown accounts on local domains (local-host-names) will be accepted and than(!) bounced. Is there a way to stop/reject these mails at "rcpt to: user unknown"-point?...

Mailing list with Sendmail ?
Hi, Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received into a TXT file for instance ? That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... how to configure it ? Thanks On Mar 23, 9:06 am, Steve <st...@everybody.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Is there a way, with Sendmail, to retrieve all email addressed received > into a TXT file for instance ? > > That could help me for using this, for mailing list.... > > how to configure it ? > > Thanks check out http://www.klake.org/sma/ ...

Configuring sendmail for mailing lists
Hey all, I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it for them. What I would like to do is give them an easy way to compose the message in their own clients, and then send them via Certificate authenticated SMTP to the groups that they want. I think that they easiest way for them to do this would be to have a single alias to which they can mail their message, and have the server mail out to the rest of the addresses. I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail things out. Does anyone have any recommendations? Sincerely, Aaron Hsu -- +++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++ Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us> Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Aaron W. Hsu wrote: > Hey all, > > I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail > to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not > spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it f...

Sendmail ist rejecting mails
Hello to everyone! I'm getting stuck on sendmail after playing around on a running system... (I swear, I'll never do this again!) I'm running a RH8 box with sendmail. After installing postfix and switching the MTA through Redhat's switchmail app, taking a look at it and switching back to sendmail the same way, I cannot send mails anymore! Taking a look in the mail log revealed this after trying to send a mail from admin to root (which should be redirected to admin due to an alias): sendmail[1258]: h64LK7hm001258: from=admin@psyche.home, size=349, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=&l...

protected mailing lists with sendmail
Hello I have a few lists set up in sendmail in the aliases file. Is there a trick to allow only members of the lists to send to the lists and leave all other addresses normally? thanks. On Feb 28, 6:03 am, "joe" <jcha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello I have a few lists set up in sendmail in the aliases file. Is > there a trick to allow only members of the lists to send to the lists > and leave all other addresses normally? thanks. http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/restrict.html http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rcptauthreq http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rcptauthsender.txt http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail Joe, On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, joe wrote: > Hello I have a few lists set up in sendmail in the aliases file. Is > there a trick to allow only members of the lists to send to the lists > and leave all other addresses normally? thanks. I suggest you use a real mailing list server, a quick, small, and fast and secure one I suggest is Ecartis, http://www.ecartis.org Very simple to install and use, ISC and freelsits use it, and it runs on a server gatewaying this newsgroup, plus countless others. The alias file is not really designed for what you want, Ecartis, mailman etc are. -- Cheers Res "We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.0703010842080.11531@ebfjryy.nhfvpf.arg> Res <res@ausics.net> writes: > >On Wed,...

sendmail simple mailing list problem
I have set up sendmail to use my ISP's outgoing mail server as a relay for mail from my server using the instructions I found here http://www.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/articles/mailsetup/article.html I use dyndns so that everyone can find myserver (as myserver.dyndns.net). I can send and receive mail on my server. I am also using a simple mailing list with about 15 subscribers that I set up using a mail alias (i.e. with the line 'mylist: : include:/usr/home/me/lists/mylist.txt') I can send mail to anyone on the list by sending mail to mylist@myserver.dyndns.net from any of my email accounts and from my account at my ISP (call it myaccount@myISP.com). Other users have also successfully sent mail to the list. However, a subset of the users also use my ISP and their mail to the list gets bounced by the ISP server. The error message in the bounced email is 553 You are not authorized to send mail as <otheruser@myisp.com> 501 5.6.0 Data format error So <myaccount@myisp.com> and <myotheraccount@mywork.com> can send mail to the list but not <otheruser@myisp.com>. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks Alan Alan Curtis wrote: > So <myaccount@myisp.com> and <myotheraccount@mywork.com> can send mail > to the list but not <otheruser@myisp.com>. > Any suggestions on how to fix this? Would it be an option to set up the mailinglist in the traditional not-just-a-single-alias style, in particular, rewriting the enve...

Questions About Rejecting Mail To Unknown Users
Hello, I am using sendmail on Slackware 10 linux. I use fetchmail to retrieve mail from my domain ISP and it is handed to sendmail. The default behavior seems to be to deliver everything -- no checks are done for unknown users. I want to change that behavior. Due to the volume of spams I get (many thousands) even spamassassin and procmail cannot keep the volume of junk sufficiently low. In addition, recently I have become bombarded with "message rejected" emails from places using Barracuda and other antispam servers, -- due to people using my domain as a sender domain, with bogus usernames. From what I have read here, I could simply put my login name and the various aliases I use (my MX record is a wildcard) into virtusertable and sendmail would reject the others. Am I correct in that idea? Also, looking at the mail headers, it appears that rejected mail would be bounced back to my ISP. I don't know that that is a good idea, as I would not like them to decide, say, to remove my wildcard MX entry to punish me for bombarding them with thousands of rejected mails every day. It would seem that the best alternative would be to /dev/null the rejects. What is the best way for me to do that? Thanks. mp -- Michael Powe michael@trollope.org Naugatuck CT USA Senor Castro has been accused of communist sympathies, but this means very little since all opponents of the regime are automatically called communists. In fact he is further to the right than Gen...

sendmail only accepting mail from local users
I've got a newbie question that I'm hoping someone can shed some light on for me. I had to change the smtp port Sendmail was listening on to 587 last night due to SBC/Yahoo's port blocking. That was the only option I changed. Then about an hour later Sendmail stopped accepting mail from external users, but from local users it worked fine. I can connect and send email to anyone of the local users from my user account with a mail client. The maillog reads: Mar 11 12:36:20 server sendmail[90351]: j2BKaJD90306: to=<thunderbird@mydomain.com>, ctladdr=<steven@myotherdomain.com&...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

sendmail refuse mail to specific users
we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse the mail ? f825_633 wrote: > we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants > which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. > > This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting > mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a way > to have sendmail check a list and if a particular name is matched refuse > the mail ? access database. -- Knute Johnson email s/nospam/knute2009/ -- Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------ Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access Knute Johnson wrote: > f825_633 wrote: >> we have sendmail setup to accept all mail to unqualified recipiants >> which then drops into a default mailbox if no valid user is found. >> >> This is the main is fine and wanted for our setup, but we are getting >> mail aimed at some particular boxes, eg, fring, jkft etc, is there a >> way to have sendmail check a list and if a partic...

restrict mailing list senders to mailing list subscribers?
Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. joe wrote: > Hello I have a few mailings lists using text files containing the > recipients of the list. Can I restrict senders to those lists to be > only the subscribers? any way to to this with sendmail? thanks. Search for "protected recipients". Grant. . . . Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? On 04/29/10 07:32, joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. You are welcome. > That solve half my problem. :-| > This seems to apply to all aliases. Is it possible to apply this > setting to certain lists only based on part of the aliases file? If I understand you correctly (which it is entirely possible that I'm mis-understanding you) you are wanting to have a way to protect a subset of your local aliases. Correct? (Presuming yes.) I don't think there is a way for Sendmail to break the alias list in to multiple pieces. Even if you could, what would that gain you? Sendmail will still have to check each recipient if it is protected or not. Grant. . . . joe wrote: > Thanks Grant. That solve half my problem. I found > > http://www.sendmail...

[newbie] how to do a mailing list without a mailing list manager
hi, i read that we can do a simple mailing list with /etc/aliases file like : all-my-users " : include: /path/list_of_all_my_users" i would like to have a dynamic list_of_all_my_users file (not static) because when i create a count on the computer, i don't want to to update the list_of_all_my_users file i think i can do that with a script that generate the file (updated by cron for example) BUT do you know a another solution as a function that tells to send mail to all the users of the computer ? thanks Fabrice Fabrice CANDAU wrote: > i read that we can do a simpl...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

How to hightlight the mail from mailing lists
Hello everyone. I have lots mails from a mailing list (lets take help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org for example). So I want to have a clearer view of them. I've looked up the manual already, seems that I should add this to my .muttrc: color index foreground background pattern But what does "pattern" mean? Should I replaced it with the address or a regexp or something else? Thanks a lot. -- Fear is the path to the Darkside. Fear leads to anger, Anger leads to hate, Hate leads to suffering. Corsair wrote: > What does "pattern" mean in "color i...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

"Unreal" mail users in Sendmail+OpenLDAP
Hi everyone, I have FreeBSD 5.4, sendmail+tls+sasl2+ldap-8.14.0, openldap-2.3.34. Everything works fine BUT... PROBLEM. --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have all of them in one LDAP database. --- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I create real directories to every each of mail users? --- What schema should I use? --- I'd like to see an example of "fake" mail users LDIF file. --- Is there any specific configuration of Sendmail and OpenLDAP except standard ones in this special case? Please help me realize this idea? Thank you all. Best regards, Vlad. lechameister schrieb: > --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have > all of them in one LDAP database. > --- How messages will go i.e. to one /var/spool/mail or should I > create real directories to every each of mail users? I'd suggest using an alternative message store, like Cyrus IMAP. --=20 Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de Phoenix Software GmbH www.phoenixsoftware.de Adolf-Hombitzer-Str. 12 Amtsgericht Bonn HRB 2934 53227 Bonn, Germany Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: = W. Grie=C3=9Fl Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt@phoenixsoftware.de> writes: > lechameister schrieb: >> --- I don't want to create mail users in the system. I'd like to have >> all of them in one...

restrict senders to mailing list using sendmail and mailscanner
I would like to restrict our mailing list to accept emails sent from specific senders. I am using sendmail 8.12.8 and Mailscanner. Can anyone provide me with some help? Meow ...

sendmail virtusertable, user unknown, no such user here
my virtusertable file I have the following entries firstName1.LastName@myDomain.com userName1 firstName2.LastName@myDomain.com userName2 signup.x10@myDomain.com error:nouser 550 No such user here signup.+*@myDomain.com userName1 @myDomain.com error:nouser 550 No such user here I have two users; userName1 and userName2 where each of them get their email when someone uses their real full names. This works as expected. When doing online shopping, one usually needs to sign up by entering an email address. Since, I usually do not trust the site's "privacy policy" I want to have a generic address I can use, but at the same time be able to reject certain email address without ffecting others. In the example above, emails sent to signup.x10@myDomain.com should be rejected, but an email to signup.amazon@myDomain.com should go to userName1 All other email address should be rejected. The problem I having is that emails to signup.amazon@myDomain.com are not going through. Am I doing something wrong? And if so, can any of you help. BTW, do i need to have the following two entries as well? userName1@myDomain.com userName1 userName2@myDomain.com userName2 Additional information, since email address appeared to be corrupt. I repalced @ with AT firstName1.LastNameATmyDomain.com userName1 firstName2.LastNameATmyDomain.com userName2 signup.x10ATmyDomain.com error:nouser 550 No such user here signup.+*ATmyDomain.com userName1 A...

Web resources about - dual sendmail and reject unknown user for mailing lists - comp.mail.sendmail

Open Source - Sendmail.com
Sendmail partners include a host of leading companies who share a proven track record of developing and delivering complimentary email products ...

Sendmail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the mail transfer agent. For the company, see Sendmail, Inc. . Sendmail is a general purpose internetwork email routing ...

Companies mobilize to patch Sendmail
... has security experts and software companies moving quickly to convince customers to apply a patch. A critical vulnerability in Sendmail, the ...

Sendmail hit by data interception flaw
Internet security researchers have discovered a serious flaw in versions of the widely-used Sendmail open-source e-mail software. The flaw could ...

Sendmail Adds Calendaring, Scheduling
E-mail server software developer Sendmail Inc. is branching out into groupware with the addition of its Calendar Server.

Sendmail Launches 'Rogue Email Application Control' Appliance
Sendmail this week announced the release of the Sentrion Rogue Email Application Control (REAC) appliance, a new offering designed to address ...

Another vulnerability found in Sendmail
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners . You can withdraw ...

Sendmail Hit by Data Interception Flaw - Slashdot
FreeBSD also has details in their security notification. Those guys are fast - if you want to have up to date info on security vulns., FreeBSD ...

Email Offline At the Home of Sendmail 179
... "The UC Berkeley email system has been either offline, or only providing limited access, for more than a week. How can the place where sendmail ...