How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?

Hi.

I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running
Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient
but not manageable in the long run.

The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but
it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for
information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the
ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the
/etc/mail/access file.

Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and
relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to
/dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore
I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for
the spam problem on my server.

Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :)

Thx,
/Timo_S

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote:

> I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running
> Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient
> but not manageable in the long run.
>
> The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but
> it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for
> information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the
> ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the
> /etc/mail/access file.

What do these "bad scripts" do? Why do they cause inbound mail?
As a first shot I would say deny the webserver (apache) to send mail using
your local MTA.

> Thx,
> /Timo_S

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | L�hne, Germany | GPG http://pgp.mit.edu 0xB366A773
Serendipity 18:40:55 up 7 days, 3:32, load average: 0.15, 0.23, 0.18

0
adalloz (117)
8/11/2006 4:42:55 PM
Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote:
>
>> I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running
>> Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient
>> but not manageable in the long run.
>>
>> The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but
>> it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for
>> information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the
>> ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the
>> /etc/mail/access file.
>
> What do these "bad scripts" do? Why do they cause inbound mail?
> As a first shot I would say deny the webserver (apache) to send mail using
> your local MTA.

Thank you for your reply.

Denying Apache globally on the system would be a problem, as a certain
virtualhost need to be able to use sendmail.

Some sysinfo:

Php I'm running in safe_mode with:

disable_functions = mail,mb_send_mail,phpinfo,system,exec,passthru,dl

For the main virtualhost I've got CGI/perl/SSI disabled and for the
other wich need to have CGI access I've got CGI/perl enabled. I suspect
that this is one of the culprits in the drama (Matt's script Archive
formmail script is running on this virtualhost with referers as the
should be), but something is still getting through. As for what the
users are running I cannot say for sure, but mostly php guestbooks
downloaded from the net and their own guestbook scripts I presume.

>> Thx,
>> /Timo_S
>
> Alexander

/Timo_S

How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?
Hi, Again a newbie question. I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in seperate file). thanks Rohit. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes: > Again a newbie question. > > I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail. I wanted to > know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each > mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in > seperate file). > > thanks You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global /etc/procmailrc http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3 Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)? -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/ Netcraft Site Rank: 462490 Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question. I want mails in my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are 5 files in my mail directory. I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting. "Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com>...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

/etc/mail/access overriding sendmail.cf
Question Would To:*@domain.tld RELAY override sendmail.cf commands? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! USA petition for dissolution of your nation! ...

I've been asked to configure sendmail to forward all mail from our domain
I've been asked to build an outbound email server that will send mail from multiply domains and forward all mail distended for our domain to our internal mail server. I'm really not sure what m4 config option. Can anyone help? Thanks Jeff spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > I've been asked to build an outbound email server that will send mail > from multiply domains and forward all mail distended for our domain to > our internal mail server. Isn't setting the domains in local-host-names, adjusting mail/access, and using mail/mailertable, sufficient ? mailertable: mydomain.foo smtp:[smtp.internal.mydomain.foo] Xavier Roche <xroche@free.fr.NOSPAM.invalid> writes: > spellman.jeff@gmail.com wrote: > > I've been asked to build an outbound email server that will send mail > > from multiply domains and forward all mail distended for our domain to > > our internal mail server. > > Isn't setting the domains in local-host-names, adjusting mail/access, > and using mail/mailertable, sufficient ? > > mailertable: > mydomain.foo smtp:[smtp.internal.mydomain.foo] [mailertable OK; [] are used to disable lookup for MX record] access: to:mydomain.foo RELAY *BUT* mailertable *IS NOT* consulted for local email domains. [ local-host-names adds domains to list of local email domains ] -- [en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail....

Sendmail keeps rejecting my mails "Domain not found"...
Hello everyone, Ok, my problem is as follows: I keep getting this error message when trying to send mail ************* The original message was received at Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:16:08 -0600 from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <xxx@sunset.com.mx> (reason: 550 <root@vader.sunset.com.mx>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- .... while talking to akenaton.sunset.com.mx.: >>> DATA <<< 550 <root@vader.sunset.com.mx>: Sender address rejected: Domain not found 550 5.1.1 <xxx@sunset.com.mx>... User unknown <<< 554 Error: no valid recipients ************* vader.sunset.com.mx does not have a DNS record, as it is an internal machine, with no outside access, so akenaton, wich is the company's public mail server, rejects mails from vader. Ok, so after doing some reading, i edited akenaton /etc/mail/local-host-names file, included vader.sunset.com.mx, and restarted sendmail. I have also edited the domain masquerade option at vader, so that it masquerades hosts vader.sunset.com.mx to just sunset.com.mx, wich passes through the mailserver just fine. However, I keep getting rejected with the same error message. Is there something left to do that I'm missing here? Thanks, Camilo In article <1166653512.525556.207140@i12g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "Camilo Olea" <camilo.olea@gmail.com> ...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

I've been asked to configure sendmail to forward all mail from our domain #2
I've been asked to build an outbound email server that will send mail from multiply domains and forward all mail distended for our domain to our internal mail server. I'm really not sure what m4 config option. Can anyone help? Thanks Jeff ...

php mail() not sending to mail Clients (ie, Outlook, Apple Mail, thunderbird, etc..)
I have a send mail script on my site that. The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients like Outlook, Mail, etc...) Is this a problem with the script, or is it something I must change in php ini file? Thanks in advance for any help. here is the code. (im using it in conjunction with javascript for some AJAX stuff) if(!isset($_GET['action'])) { die("You must not access this page directly!"); //Just to stop people from visiting contact.php normally } /* Now lets trim up the input before sending it */ $name = trim($_GET['name']); //The senders name $to = trim($_GET['maily']); //The senders email address $place = trim($_GET['place']); //The senders email address $subject = "you have recieved mail"; $headers = "From:$name"; $message = "{$name} deemed you worthy of receiving the following information/exchange from Trumpet.\n\n Follow This Link {$place}"; mail($to, $subject, $message,$headers); //a very simple send echo 'contactarea|<p class="sent">Article Sent!</p>'; //now lets update the "contactarea" div on the contact.html page. The contactarea| tell's the javascript which div to update. ?> shybe wrote: > I have a send mail script on my site that. > > The emails are recieved by gmail, and yahoo, but not to mail clients > like Outlook, Mail, etc...) > > Is this a problem with the script, or is it something ...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

Configuring Sendmail for outbound mail only
Hello, and thanks for reading. The company I work for has setup a Fedora Core 4 box as a webserver. This server will be hosting a Flash game that uses a PHP connection to a MySQL database. The server is properly configured for SSL. When someone plays and wins the Flash game, an email is generated. Everything upto the email works. The Flash game uses the "mail" command and has been tested on another Linux box. The problem seems to be Sendmail. (or rather, it's configuration) The server will never need to receive mail - only send. It also does not resolve to a URL by design. How can I configure Sendmail to either send mail directly or to interface with my ISP's mailserver? Thanks very much for your help! Joe ...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

Configuring sendmail for mailing lists
Hey all, I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it for them. What I would like to do is give them an easy way to compose the message in their own clients, and then send them via Certificate authenticated SMTP to the groups that they want. I think that they easiest way for them to do this would be to have a single alias to which they can mail their message, and have the server mail out to the rest of the addresses. I want to avoid installing unnecessary software into my server, so I was wondering if there is a way of doing this with just Sendmail? The list is fairly static, so I don't need to have the ability to update the list quickly, I just need to be able to make it easy for the sender to mail things out. Does anyone have any recommendations? Sincerely, Aaron Hsu -- +++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++ Email: <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | WWW: <http://www.sacrideo.us> Scheme Programming is subtle; subtlety can be hard. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Aaron W. Hsu wrote: > Hey all, > > I am configuring a mail server for a group that needs to send out mail > to some of their large mailing lists (I'm verifying that they are not > spam lists), because their current service does not seem to cut it f...

How to configure sendmail to send mails
FUP from comp.lang.python Am Donnerstag, 5. September 2013 15:38:25 UTC+2 schrieb Ferrous Cranus: > =CE=A3=CF=84=CE=B9=CF=82 5/9/2013 4:29 =CE=BC=CE=BC, =CE=BF/=CE=B7 feedth= etroll =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: >>> uses DoveCot as enaled mail server but i have no idea how to >>> setip up to work. >>> i cannot connect to it via my python script. >> OK, I should have been more exact: >> To send mails you need a "smtp-server" (MTA - Mail Transfer Agent, >> Message Transport Agent) like postfix, exim, sendmail, ... >> >> DoveCot is good for "reading" mail (=3D"mailbox management", "pop3(s)", >> "imap(s)"). You cannot send mails using DoveCot. (You can use a >> WebMailService to access DoveCot for reading and a MTA for sending mails= ..) >> >> So you have to find out, which MTA you installed (you have root access, >> don't you) and configure it. >> >> But this is (like so often) becoming extremely offtopic. >=20 > i as root just inatslled >=20 > sendmail and mailx. i have edited the ~/.mailrc to use: > > nikos@superhost.gr [~/www/cgi-bin]# cat ~/.mailrc > account gmail { > set smtp-use-starttls > set smtp=3Dsmtp://smtp.gmail.com:587 > set smtp-auth=3Dlogin > set smtp-auth-user=3Dmay)gmail > set smtp-auth-password=3Dmy_gmail_pass_not_stupid_enough_to_w...

Sendmail ist rejecting mails
Hello to everyone! I'm getting stuck on sendmail after playing around on a running system... (I swear, I'll never do this again!) I'm running a RH8 box with sendmail. After installing postfix and switching the MTA through Redhat's switchmail app, taking a look at it and switching back to sendmail the same way, I cannot send mails anymore! Taking a look in the mail log revealed this after trying to send a mail from admin to root (which should be redirected to admin due to an alias): sendmail[1258]: h64LK7hm001258: from=admin@psyche.home, size=349, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=&l...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only :) one such directory? Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it won't. Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: > > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems > :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both > :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is > :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only > :) one such directory? Eduardo Chappa wrote: > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, No. The directories are not...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

Setting up domain mail with mercury mail
Hi, I'm trying to set up Mercury Mail Transport to receive mail from a pop3 account for my domain and locally distribute to individual users. This seems to be fairly easy to set up but I've got a few questions about how this works. Does the Mercury POP3 client delete messages from the POP3 server when it collects them? Is it possible to have it leave the mail on the domain server but delete mail that is a specified number of days old? If so, how do I set it up this way? I didn't see any options for leaving or deleting mail in the client configuration window... Thanks...

Web resources about - How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file? - comp.mail.sendmail

configure script - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Configure script is an executable script designed to aid in developing a program to be run on a wide number of different computers. It matches ...

CloudNex correctly configures NetSuite for retailer
IT consultant and NetSuite solution provider, CloudNex has implemented a NetSuite configuration for local fashion designer and retailer, Briggins. ...

Configure Custom Brightness Levels For When Your iPhone Is Plugged In With This Jailbreak Tweak
It’s already possible to configure a custom brightness level for iDevices when un plugged, but now a new jailbreak tweak (called “BrightnessPlug”) ...

Configure - Apple
With top-of-the-line Intel processors, HD graphics, and ultrafast Thunderbolt ports, MacBook Pro does more than ever. Faster than ever.

Xcode Continuous Integration Guide: Install OS X Server and Configure Xcode Server
Provides guidelines and examples for using Xcode continuous integration features. To run Xcode Server, you must first install and configure OS ...

Apple TV to get automatic "touch to configure" setup via Bluetooth 4.0, iOS 7
Apple appears to be using a novel device setup method to ease initial configuration of Apple TV under iOS 7, using an NFC-like touch without ...

Model brain with 2.5 million neurons configures itself to solve problems
Chris Eliasmith, et. al Over the last few years, the meteoric rise of computing power has allowed us to build ever-larger collections of model ...

How the Autoblog staff would configure the 2017 Acura NSX
Filed under: Design/Style , Acura , Car Buying , Coupe , Performance , Supercars See how Autoblog's staff would configure the 2017 Acura NSX, ...

Customize and configure your PC with Windows Tweaker 5.0
Windows is a highly configurable operating system, with hundreds of settings and options available. But taking full advantage of this can be ...