How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail?

Hi,

Again a newbie question.

I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail.  I wanted to
know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each
mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in
seperate file).

thanks

Rohit.

0
rohitseh (11)

"Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes:

> Again a newbie question.
>
> I am using Redhat Enterprise Server 4.0 with Sendmail.  I wanted to
> know if there is any configuration in Sendmail/Procmail such each
> mailbox has a mail directory instead of a mail file (each mail is in
> seperate file).
>
> thanks

You can easily change it in per user ~user/.procmailrc or global
/etc/procmailrc

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.3
Q4.3 -- How can I get sendmail to deliver local mail to $HOME/.mail
instead of into /usr/spool/mail (or /usr/mail)?

--
[en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html

I want mails in  my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and not
mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox is
stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there are
5 files in my mail directory.

I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting.

0
rohitseh (11)
11/11/2005 7:00:07 PM
"Rohit Sehgal" <rohitseh@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thanks for replying Andrzej. But, this does not answer my question.
>
> I want mails in  my inbox to be deposited in the Mail Directory and
> not mail file. For Example, I want to specify each mail to the mailbox
> is stored as independent file. So, if I have 5 mails for me then there
> are 5 files in my mail directory.

Procmail *CAN* deliver what you want.
It supports: mailbox file, maildir and mh mail folder.
You have two folder based formats to choose from.
I think you want mh folder format.

see "man procmail" and  "man procmailex" for details.

> I am looking for either system wide or mailbox size setting.

--
[en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/ http://www.sendmail.org/m4/readme.html
http://anfi.homeunix.net/sendmail/  Netcraft Site Rank: 464420
0
anfi (2014)

How do I configure Sendmail to reject all mail to domains not in /etc/mail/access file?
Hi. I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient but not manageable in the long run. The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the /etc/mail/access file. Thus far, I've also been adding domain.tld in local-host-names and relaying all @domain.tld to a local alias which is redirected to /dev/null. This solution is also unmanageable in the long run. Therefore I turn to you for guidance and information on how to find a solution for the spam problem on my server. Feedback and tips will be greatly appreciated :) Thx, /Timo_S On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 19:03:08 +0300 Timo_S wrote: > I've got a serious spam problem on one my server which is running > Sendmail 8.13.1. I've been struggling with iptables, although efficient > but not manageable in the long run. > > The problem really is bad scripts made by users on their webpages, but > it is impossible for me to debug these. So this is why I'm looking for > information on how to block all @domain.tld's while maintaining the > ability to send mail to certain specified domains in the > /etc/mail/access file. What do these "bad scripts" do...

Mail and mail directories
I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only one such directory? Thanks Jay *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only :) one such directory? Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, if so remove it. It is possible that this may break other applications (e.g. Mutt). Hopefully it won't. Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > *** Jay Gopalakrishnan (nspmjayg@math.ufl.edu.nsp) wrote in comp.mail.pine...: > > :) I use pine to access my mail (via login to an IMAP server). Pine seems > :) to create two directories <home>/Mail and <home>/mail, and both > :) directories seem to contain identical copies of all my folders. Is > :) there a configuration option that will ensure that pine maintains only > :) one such directory? Eduardo Chappa wrote: > Do you have a simbolic link between Mail and mail?, No. The directories are not...

mail::sendmail (SOMETIMES) get "bad file descriptor" error when mail not local
I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using CPAN I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server and I get my personel email at that address. The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for example, "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file descriptor" I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) I noticed that there is a soft link to qmail on the remote server, but it was my understanding that mail::Sendmail is independant of other mail programs. Is there some configuration file I can change to solve this problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Dave Dave Roberts wrote: > I have a leased Linux box that I installed mail::Sendmail on using > CPAN > > I'm using a perl script to send mail. I have a domain on that server > and I get my personel email at that address. > > The script works fine when I am using my own email address as the > recipient, but when I try to send to any other domain I get, for > example, > > "sendmail failure sending to somebody@otherdomain.org Bad file > descriptor" > > > I don't have this problem with by Linux box at home and I thought I > configured it the same way. (I just let CPAN do it's thing) > > I not...

Filing mail, mailing lists, sub-directories
I'm trying to find a way to ease the following: From my .muttrc lists dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk subscribe dundee@mailman.lug.org.uk When a message comes in, I would like to be able to file it in: =Linux/dundee rather than the default when I press 's': =dundee I don't particularly want to go down the multiple mailboxes/procmail route. Is there any other way to do it? I wouldn't mind being able to the same thing with particular regular correspondents (not lists), though this is less pressing. For instance, for messages from jim@xxx.yyy.com, ra...

Sendmail 8.14.3 not sendmail hugely attached e-mail files in a timely manner
What could be the problem. They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just to get them to propogate. Any reason why? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising! Never Satan President Republic! If you cannot lead a family how can you pastor a church? The Doctor unleashed the infinite monkeys on 21/05/2009 00:07 producing: > What could be the problem. > > They seem stuck and I have to run sendmail -v -q manually just > to get them to propogate. > > Any reason why? With so little information, it's impossible to help you. How do you define "huge"? How long do you wait? What's in your mail logs? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" ...

(HOWTO) How to extract a single message from a mail spool file (sendmail, procmail)
Hi, all, This seemed like a basic task when I first searched for a solution, but I'll be danged if I didn't have a hard time finding a direct answer, so I'm posting this to make it easier (I hope) for others to find: So the idea in a nutshell is to use formail to split and feed the messages from the spool into procmail, which reads a specified recipe file for the search criteria: prompt> cat /var/spool/mail/someuserzspool | formail -s procmail -pm / root/extracter /root/extracter should contain something like: LOGFILE= /root/extracter.log VERBOSE=yes LOGABSTRACT=all COMSAT=off :0: * Subject:.*Enough text to match a single message /root/recovered :0 /dev/null It's important to send all unmatched messages to /dev/null, else they'll be delivered to root's mail spool. Using verbose logging makes a log entry for every message, and will let you know what went wrong if your recipe didn't get the results you wanted. Then you can use something like this to send the extracted message to someone else: prompt> cat /root/recovered | formail -rk -I "To: recipient_alias_or_address" | sendmail -t In the above example the message will appear to come from root. Also, any binary attachments will get corrupted and possibly appear in the body of the message, but I think you can play with the formail command to fix that. Good luck! JBlane ...

Switch off the "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" mail from sendmail ?
Hello ! Now i have here a little freebsd 6.3 server. This server receive and send my lokal and worldwide emails. When this server receive a mail with unqualified local user sendmail automatic generate the mail that says "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender". Somewhere spam known now that this mail adress has a reciving server and can probe other names before @ ? My ideas now is the feature switched off and no generate this ugly mail ? The mail with unqualified username can delete now ? Can somwhere help me to find the right option in my *.mc sendmail configuration file ? Thanxs 4 ever !!! ....Jaro ------------------------------------------------------ #!/usr/bin/perl foreach $c (split(/ /,"4a 61 72 6f 6d 96 72 20 50 72 69 6e 7a 6c 65 72")) { print pack("C", hex($c)); } Hello, Take a look on PrivacyOptions=noactualrecipient ...

Change ~/mail to ~/.mail ?
Dear readers, I have searched Google and read the FAQ at http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Can anyone tell me, if that's possible? Lots of love, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) I have searched Google and read the FAQ at :) http://www.washington.edu/pine/faq/ but I can't figure out if it is :) possible to change ~/mail to ~/.mail Dear Janni, Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". Change "mail/" to ".mail/". Eduardo http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ > Yes, try pressing M S L and edit the contents of the "mail collection". > Change "mail/" to ".mail/". This is great! Thanks Eduardo!! I'll never change from Pine. That's for sure. > http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/ Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I would like to change my email when using mailinglists. The only thing Pine now needs is a way to use PGP/GPG as attachments...=) Hugs, Janni *** Janni Jensen (d_e_l_e_t_e_janni@t_h_i_s_elvis.com.nspm) wrote in...: :) Excellent! I found this patch "Change your From Header without any :) effort!". This is jst what I have been wanted for a long time, as I :) would like to change my email w...

Mail::Sendmail
perl doesn't like my return address. Does anyone know why? error message as follows-------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ perl mail_test.pl [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ Bad or missing From address: '' text of program follows---------------------- [rudi@tsuse rudi]$ vi mail_test.pl 1 #!/usr/bin/perl; 2 use Mail::Sendmail; 3 4 %mail = { To => "ccc31807\@yahoo.com", 5 From => "cartercc\@gmail.com", 6 Subject => 'Test of sendmail', 7 Message => "This is a test of sendmail"}; 8 9...

replacing mail/ by .mail/ : how to do that ?
Hi, I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ How to do that? Aldo. -- ==Osvaldo La Rosa==-==http://www.brlspeak.net/==-==GNU/Linux? 2B FREE== No individual should be discriminated against on the basis of disability in the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations of any place of public accommodation (American Disability Act - 42. U.S.C. 12182[a]) * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > Hi, > I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ > How to do that? If everything else fails: - delete mail - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail On 18 Aug 2005, Holger Marzen wrote: > * On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:06:14 +0200, Aldo wrote: > >> I only want to edit the config so that I can use .mail/ instead of mail/ >> How to do that? > > If everything else fails: > > - delete mail > - create a symlink: ln -s .mail mail What Holger wrote should work, but it's cleaner to change where Pine looks for mailboxes. I discuss this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Let us know if you have any questions. Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more >...

Copying Mail/Folders Between Mail Files
Hi, How do you guys copy mail/folders between mail files? Besides copying and pasting between mail files, surely there has to be an easier way. And no, we don't want the new user using the old mail file. It just seems very annoying it is so difficult to do this. hi there ... i want to say to do that you need to open the mail that you want to copy from and the mail that you want to copy to.. in the domino admin pack .. then jut copy and past then it will work :) you need to enable the full access to yourself on both database ... good luck ...

Importing mail from Unix mail file
I receive e-mail from a pop3 server. When I was having trouble with the server, I had to download one large mail file from the server (instead of getting the individual messages through pop3). Now, I would like to have the messages in that large mail file read by Eudora, so that they are treated as incoming mail (i.e., read individually, run through Spamnix, and run through my filters). Is this possible? Thanks, Gabriel "G.R. Toro" <toro@riskengXYZ.com> wrote: > I receive e-mail from a pop3 server. When I was having trouble with the > server, I had to download one large mail file from the server (instead of > getting the individual messages through pop3). Now, I would like to have > the messages in that large mail file read by Eudora, so that they are > treated as incoming mail (i.e., read individually, run through Spamnix, and > run through my filters). Is this possible? * Exit Eudora, copy the big mail file into one of the folders where Eudora's normal mailboxes are stored, rename the big mail file so that it has the extension .mbx, and start Eudora again. The mail file will most probably show up as Mailbox in Eudora. You can open it and access messages individually. * You can change filters to the "manual" type, then select all messages in the new mailbox and select "Special-Filter Messages". The manual filters will then be applied to the selected messages. * I don't kno...

Reading e-mail from directories other than ~/mail
I've stored some mail files from my ISP elsewhere, on a CD and on my hard disk, and I can't find out how to read these files in pine. I tried pine -h for help, and then pine -f, pine -F, and pine -P, and read the FAQ at www.washington.edu/pine, but I can't figure out how to do this. Jim O'Reilly On 29 Jun 2005, Jim O'Reilly wrote: > > I've stored some mail files from my ISP elsewhere, on a CD and on my hard > disk, and I can't find out how to read these files in pine. I tried pine -h > for help, and then pine -f, pine -F, and pine -P, and read the FAQ at > www.washington.edu/pine, but I can't figure out how to do this. You need to set up a Pine local "collection" that points to the appropriate directory. To do this, type: MSLA which means: Main > Setup > collectionList > Add I have details about this on my Power Pine page in this section: Setting Up IMAP, NNTP, and Local Collections <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#setCollections> Hope this helps, Nancy -- Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com> IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more > > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < < *** NM Public (eagorae@nm.deflexion.comet) wrote in comp.mail.pine today: :) On 29 Jun 2005, Jim O'Reilly wrote: :) > :) > I've stored some mail files from my ISP elsewhere, on a CD an...

Sendmail authentificates, client cann still send mails with fake "Mail From:" tag
hello, i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) Am i missing something here ? what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) Thanks! Regards, Alex alexThor wrote: > hello, > > i've just finished my first AUTH sendmail configuration, client cann > authentificate himself via LOGIN/PLAIN with TLS. I've noticed though > that sendmail doesn't pose any restraints regarding the mail from: tag. > lets say my domain is test.de, my loginname ist alex > now i cand send mails from arbitrary name@ test.de...actually from > arbitrary name @ arbitrary domain :) > > Am i missing something here ? > > what i would like is: user authentificates -> he is allowed to send > mail only with the prior stipulated address (his address) > Thanks! > > Regards, > Alex http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/#rewritesender http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail/patches/rewrite_sender.tar.gz This should do exactly what you want. jmaimon@ttec.com wrote: > > http://www.jmaimon.com/sendmail > ht...

"Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service" misleading the Sendmail by BODY=7BIT in "mail from"
Hello. I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT but message is not 7BIT. It contain MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit in header, but ----59b9b79d39a2fcdcd7600d2d20592b5a Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit in some parts and real text in utf8. Sendmail loses one bit. :-( A second big problem - a huge E-Mail providers such as GMail or Mail.ru ignore the "BODY=7BIT" and messages accepted propertly. I find it difficult to prove that the problem should be resolved by the message sender or the postmaster of "Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service". Any idea ? -- Regards, Sergey. On 02/18/11 07:42, Sergey wrote: > I ran into a situation where the Sendmail deceived by the Microsoft > ESMTP MAIL Service. MS ESMTP Service send to Sendmail I think that's better worded as Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service is lying about being 7-bit. > MAIL FROM:<system@gosuslugi.ru> SIZE=12345 AUTH=<> BODY=7BIT > > but message is not 7BIT. It contain > > MIME-Version: 1.0 > Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="--2f2da5fd4e757bb09dce3cc4fd3fda88" > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > ...

is it possible to extract Calendar Appointments from an exchange mail file, and import them into a Notes Mail File.
is it possible to extract Calendar Appointments from an exchange mail file, and import them into a Notes Mail File. ...

Using /usr/bin/mail instead of sendmail?
Hi all, Because of a chroot jail a web site that I'm working on is in (I don't know much about the jail stuff), I can't use sendmail to send email through a PHP script. The sys admin said he's put a copy of the basic unix mail into the jail that I can use. Now I assume I can use this by just doing a shell_exec, but for some reason, I get no result out of it. If I run mail at command line (without the variable names), it works great. Can anyone suggest how I can approach this situation? Thanks!! $output = shell_exec("echo $body | mail -s \"$subject\" $to"); print ("$output"); I would ask the admin (if this is possible) to adjust your PHP configuration and change the SMTP Server setting to specify mail rather than sendmail, this way you can address the mail server through the mail() command and transfer your code elsewhere with less worries. HTH Mike "ratlhead" <ratlhead@ratlhead.com> wrote in message news:fd9c5ab3.0307032033.1c4605a1@posting.google.com... > Hi all, > > Because of a chroot jail a web site that I'm working on is in (I don't > know much about the jail stuff), I can't use sendmail to send email > through a PHP script. The sys admin said he's put a copy of the basic > unix mail into the jail that I can use. > > Now I assume I can use this by just doing a shell_exec, but for some > reason, I get no result out of it. If I run mail at command line >...

Web resources about - How to enable Mail Directory instead of Mail File in Sendmail/Procmail? - comp.mail.sendmail

Wikipedia:Quick directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This page is a handy directory to various locations of interest in Wikipedia. Only dynamic pages should be listed here, no policy pages etc. ...

Wikipedia:WikiProject Council/Directory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't call us: Centrelink bosses remove phone numbers and email from directory
Tom was savvy enough to take his complaints straight to Centrelink management.

Don't call us: Centrelink bosses remove phone numbers and email from directory
Tom was savvy enough to take his complaints straight to Centrelink management.

Business Directory Listings: Eight Smart Tips for You to Get Started
If you are considering a business directory listing for your small business, congratulations – you are on the right track. Local SEO, local customers, ...

Atlas Partner Directory Launched
... just for Facebook and Instagram –advertising platform Atlas has one, as well. On that note, Atlas Tuesday introduced the Atlas Partner Directory ...

Slack announces App Directory store
... create more apps for the store, and a new framework called Botkit which should simplify the process of creating apps. The Slack App Directory, ...

Amazon brings Microsoft users into AWS with Active Directory service
Amazon has launched an AWS Directory Service for Active Directory , a fully managed implementation of Microsoft's authentication and user management ...

Security Recruiter Directory
To find the right security job or hire the right candidate, you first need to find the right recruiter. CSO's security recruiter directory is ...

Slack's App Directory proves it's more than just a chatroom
... are about to get a little easier to find and integrate within your team and over 160 of them live within the company's new Slack App Directory. ...